home
RSS
January 23rd, 2012

Jewish newspaper’s editor resigns over Obama assassination column

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - A Jewish newspaper owner who attracted U.S. Secret Service attention for a column suggesting that Israel consider assassinating an American president has resigned as the paper’s editor, employees there said Monday.

The resignation comes after a firestorm over the column and after a tearful apology from the editor-in-chief of Georgia’s Atlanta Jewish Times, Andrew Adler.

The JTA reported Monday that Adler is selling the newspaper, but the office manager, Jerry Farkas, said that was incorrect and that Adler hadn’t announced plans to sell.

The paper’s newly named interim editor-in-chief, John McCurdy, said in an e-mail that he had not talked with Adler about whether he planned to sell the paper.

Adler wrote a January 13 column about the threat of Iran to Israel, posing three options for the Jewish state. One was a "hit on a president in order to preserve Israel's existence."

The column attracted interest from the U.S. Secret Service, with spokesman George Ogilvie saying Saturday, "We are aware of it. We are taking the appropriate investigative steps."

In an interview with an Atlanta TV station on Saturday, Adler broke down as he apologized for the column.

“All I could do now is let President Obama, the State of Israel, everybody affected in Atlanta’s Jewish community … (know) that I’m sincerely sorry for what has transpired,” Adler told Atlanta Interfaith Broadcasters Inc., straining to choke back tears.

“It’s storming outside as we speak, and I’ve always felt that when a storm happens that God’s angry with me,” Adler said.

Farkas said the paper is working with the Jewish Federation of Greater Atlanta to find a permanent managing editor.

The federation had said that it was suspending its relationship with the Atlanta Jewish Times until Adler apologized, agreed to stop writing and gave up editorial control.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Georgia • Judaism

1. John of Indiana

So he resigned. Good start. Now he needs to spend 37 months in Club Fed like Richard Humphreys did for his "Burning Bush" joke. But it won't happen, you know why? Because Obama's not a White Republican, that's why.

January 23, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • disjustin

January 23, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
    • truthfl1

Obama trolls are out. That's Obama's idea of improving the economy, finding half a zzed losers at min wage to troll for him.

January 23, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
    • truthfl1

Hey John, Are you one of the ACORN people or other misfits Obama campaign paid to be bussed in from IL and IN to Iowa in 08 to steal Iowa from Hillary? Just a hunch.

January 23, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  2. Godoflunaticscreation

Woman: Wait a moment, but then the world will say "how come you're conquering again?"

Netanyahu: the world won't say a thing. The world will say we're defending.

Woman: Aren't you afraid of the world, Bibi?

Netanyahu: Especially today, with America. I know what America is. America is something that can easily be moved. Moved to the right direction.

Child: They say they're for us, but, it's like...

Netanyahu: They won't get in our way. They won't get in our way.

Child: On the other hand, if we do some something, then they...

Netanyahu: So let's say they say something. So they said it! They said it! 80% of the Americans support us. It's absurd. We have that kind of support and we say "what will we do with the..." Look. That administration [Clinton] was extremely pro-Palestinian. I wasn't afraid to maneuver there. I was not afraid to clash with Clinton. I was not afraid to clash with the United Nations. I was paying the price anyway, I preferred to receive the value. Value for the price.

In the following segment, Bibi boasts about how he emptied the Oslo Accords of meaning by an interpretation that made a mockery of them:

Woman: The Oslo Accords are a disaster.

Netanyahu: Yes. You know that and I knew that...The people [nation] has to know...

What were the Oslo Accords? The Oslo Accords, which the Knesset signed, I was asked, before the elections: "Will you act according to them?" and I answered: "yes, subject to mutuality and limiting the retreats." "But how do you intend to limit the retreats?" "I'll give such interpretation to the Accords that will make it possible for me to stop this galloping to the '67 [armistice] lines. How did we do it?

Narrator: The Oslo Accords stated at the time that Israel would gradually hand over territories to the Palestinians in three different pulses, unless the territories in question had settlements or military sites. This is where Netanyahu found a loophole.

Netanyahu: No one said what defined military sites. Defined military sites, I said, were security zones. As far as I'm concerned, the Jordan Valley is a defined military site.

Woman: Right [laughs]...The Beit She'an Valley.

Netanyahu: How can you tell. How can you tell? But then the question came up of just who would define what Defined Military Sites were. I received a letter - to me and to Arafat, at the same time - which said that Israel, and only Israel, would be the one to define what those are, the location of those military sites and their size. Now, they did not want to give me that letter, so I did not give the Hebron Agreement. I stopped the government meeting, I said: "I'm not signing." Only when the letter came, in the course of the meeting, to me and to Arafat, only then did I sign the Hebron Agreement. Or rather, ratify it, it had already been signed. Why does this matter? Because at that moment I actually stopped the Oslo Accord.

Woman: And despite that, one of our own people, excuse me, who knew it was a swindle, and that we were going to commit suicide with the Oslo Accord, gives them - for example - Hebron...

Netanyahu: Indeed, Hebron hurts. It hurts. It's the thing that hurts. One of the famous rabbis, whom I very much respect, a rabbi of Eretz Yisrael, he said to me: "What would your father say?" I went to my father. Do you know a little about my father's position?

...He's not exactly a lily-white dove, as they say. So my father heard the question and said: "Tell the rabbi that your grandfather, Rabbi Natan Milikowski, was a smart Jew. Tell him it would be better to give two percent than to give a hundred percent. And that's the choice here. You gave two percent and in that way you stopped the withdrawal. Instead of a hundred percent." The trick is not to be there and be broken. The trick is to be there and pay a minimal price."

At a point in the middle of the video Netanayhu asks the camera man to stop taping, but he continues...
    Netanyahu says what he really thinks for the first time:
    He brags about how easy is to manipulate the USA and he proudly explains how he sabotaged the Oslo process.

January 23, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

This is the translation for the video of Netanyahu that I posted below. Put it in the wrong place.

January 23, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  3. truthfl1

Looks like the Rev Jeremiah Wright's anti-semitic rants that Mr. Obama listened to for 20 yrs came back to bite under multiple screen names.

BTW- Saw the bla ck faced santa on your lawn, mr. Wright. Can't get that house sold? And you wonder why.

January 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • disjustin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuTj5oQux28..What A Drag You Are!!

January 23, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  4. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGYNg6abWIc&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuTj5oQux28&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:42 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

This video is an interview of Dr. Alan Sabrosky, former Director of Studies at the U.S. Army War College.

January 23, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
  5. abtime

What else is going to happen to this man? Certainly more is planned than his just stepping away from the paper. If the Secret Service has no further repercussions for this person than this The President of the United States, Mr. Barck Obama is not being served well. Gabby Giffords is living proof of the dangers of allowing people of Adler's ilk to move freely in a society. He should be taken out of society and jailed.

January 23, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  6. mickey1313

if this POS was a muslem, they would have already arested him for hate speech, but because he is an evil twistid jew, he will not be punished. Imagine if you will what the seceret service would have dont to a muslem who said this during G Dubbs reign, can you say click click boom.

January 23, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
  7. FACT

Disjustin is just another filthy k!ke trying to distract everybody from what the truth is.

January 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

Fact, please repost the videos I posted since I can't post them twice. This Isreali sob WON'T win! Americans need to know the truth.

January 23, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNt0I3zNVs&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
  8. Godoflunaticscreation

Disjustin. Your videos are blocked content in the U.S. How is the weather in Israel? You are obviously trying to cover up the links I posted.

January 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Observer

Let's at least try Report Abuse maybe it will do something.

January 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

I have, but it needs more than one report I think.

January 23, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • disjustin

whether is normal...but no not trying to cover anything up...check all of them

January 23, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
  9. disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnjndyYorm8&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  10. disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvSo2kdb4_0&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  11. disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNkV7QpdnZc&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  12. disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVtL4r6rOnI&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  13. Rob

Liberals were giddy over the film depicting the assasination of GWB, but have a come apart over any suggestion the same fate could befall the messiah.

January 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQTUNHwFA80&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • disjustin

Really, I doubt that?

January 23, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • mickey1313

that was never done by the media, just some foolish individuals. And there is a huge differance, GWB IS A WAR CRIMINAL, he and chiney CAN NOT LEAVE THE US, or they will be arested, Obama is just a bad guy, not a war criminal.

January 23, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
  14. disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiIzHTK1npQ&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
  15. disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7OXdkKZ-0k&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
  16. disjustin

Someone Like You!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqTiAMFqz7g

January 23, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
  17. disjustin

All News All The Time!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVtL4r6rOnI

January 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  18. Mark

Don't people do any type of self-analysis at all? I mean seriously...2 minutes work to completely re-read the article he had written should have been enough to make him say "Uhm...maybe I better not write that". You can't print something like that and not expect repercussions. I swear, I am continuously amazed at the lack of common sense that so many people show.

January 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • mickey1313

but mark, you seem to be missing the point. ever since ww2, jews have had carte blanche to say what they want, and anyone who speaks out against there filthy speech is labled anti-semitic. It is time to put the dogs of Judiea in line. Free speech does not cover plots of murder. And the "jews" thar died in the holicost were decendants of russian cathloc orthidox converties, the lands of isreal are no more theirs then the germans haveing a right to US lands. This evil man should be on his hands and knees licking the boots of Obama, because ih is alowed to spout off like that.

January 23, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  19. Godoflunaticscreation

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6bPwZJ1ZO8&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • disjustin

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4rdlG6odfk&w=640&h=360]

January 23, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  20. disjustin

This Says It All!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnjndyYorm8

January 23, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • Godoflunaticscreation

What country are you posting from? All your videos are blocked from view in the U.S so quit wasting our time.

January 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm |