home
RSS
January 24th, 2012

Romney tax returns shine light on Mormon tithing

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

(CNN) - Although many Americans may have wondered just how much money Mitt Romney makes and how much he pays in taxes in the lead-up to the release Tuesday of his tax documents, there was little suspense around how much he gives to his church.

That's because all Mormons in good standing with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints are required to give 10% of their salaries as a tithe.

"Mormon children are expected to begin tithing from their very first allowance," says Terryl Givens, an expert on Mormonism at the University of Richmond. "And there's never any variation on the 10%, whether you're on welfare or you're a millionaire."

Mitt Romney and his wife, Ann, gave even more to their church last year. Tax documents released Tuesday show they gave $2.6 million, more than 12% of the roughly $21 million they earned. The Romneys also gave $1.4 million last year in cash and stock to their family foundation, which heavily supports the LDS Church.

In 2010, the other year for which the Romneys released a federal tax return, they gave $1.5 million to the LDS church, 7% of their earnings, plus $900,000 to their family foundation, called the Tyler Foundation.

The Tyler Foundation gave $145,000 to the LDS church in 2010, so the Romneys' church donations average out to 10% over the last two years.

Unlike in most Christian traditions, in which the decision about whether to tithe is made individually by each church member, giving to the LDS Church is enforced. Participation in important ceremonies at Mormon temples is contingent on being paid up.

"For Mormons, tithing is an article of faith, not an economic principal," said Givens, who is Mormon. "Some critics see it as tying worthiness to an economic contribution."

He calls it "an important differentiator between devout Mormons and nominal Mormons."

A survey of American Mormons released earlier this month by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life found that eight in 10 say they tithe to the church.

Tithing dates back to the earliest Mormons, with the LDS Church's 19th century founder, Joseph Smith, drawing on the Bible's Old Testament as precedent for 10% church support. Smith also wrote about tithing in the Doctrine and Covenants, a Mormon holy book comprising Smith's revelations from God.

For early Mormons, tithing was as much practical as theological. As the early Mormon community journeyed from state to state across America, often on the run from persecution, tithing was an important way for the community to sustain itself.

"Early Mormons were outcasts from society and suffered extreme deprivation and they needed to take care of themselves and take care of the church on a day-to-day basis," Givens said. "To this day, Mormons are known for taking care of their own."

Today, tithing finances the administration of the Salt Lake City, Utah-based LDS Church, the construction of Mormon temples - which are rapidly proliferating as Mormonism grows worldwide - and the church-owned Brigham Young University.

Mormons are also encouraged to give separately to their local congregations and to a church humanitarian fund that goes to international relief projects. The church urges Mormons to fast on the first Sunday of each month and to donate the cost of the food they would typically eat to the humanitarian fund.

An informal 2011 survey by the National Association of Evangelicals found that most evangelical leaders on its 100-person board of directors don't believe the Bible requires tithing. Just 42% of the board members said that is true.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Mitt Romney • Money & Faith • Mormonism • Politics

soundoff (1,579 Responses)
  1. If I had a penny for every stupid Republican I'd be rich!

The best religion money can buy.

January 25, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  2. grinder

bible and book of mormon contradictions

January 25, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • HeavenSent

Sky is blue, water is wet, etc.

Amen.

January 25, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Abinadi

The truth! mormon.org

January 25, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

Religion is a scam by design. Nothing new.

January 25, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • Dave

Go to FAIR LDS website for the rebuttle. It will surprise you.

January 28, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  3. Sam

It's just brililant how religion gets people to give away their money and do things that aren't in their self-interest.

I'm not saying the church's do bad things with they money, but some of it is used to perpetuate the nonsense and illogial beliefs about where we came from and what happens when we die. Religion cripples the mind from using logic and reasoning to decipher the truth behind the simplest of things...

yes that means when you die...wait for it...you are DEAD. When you die you don't go to a magical land of candy canes and unicorns and rainbows. But keep believing that you weak minded fools.

January 25, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Jack

In all fairness Sam, I don't know anyone that has been able to prove in anyway, objectively or subjectively, what happens after death. I don't mean any disrespect to you or your beliefs.

My whole thing is that science still hasn't been able to prove what existence is. It's making great strides in discovering things about subatomic particles and physics and so forth, but no one has been able to definitely prove anything about what makes our reality possible.

I hope that makes sense. I would just hope you keep an open mind to the idea of God being real and that he does have a plan for all of His creations.

January 25, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Geld

To SOME, faith provides principles to live by, opportunities to serve, and a chance to help those outside our immediate environment. Not sure what is "weak-minded" about that. I hope all my knowledge and experiences from this life will be retained in some form after my mortal body dies, but that doesn't hinder me from learning and achieving much in this life, quite the contrary. I have two degrees (one earned in the US and one in Europe), I speak multiple languages, I've traveled and worked extensively on most of the continents, I'm enjoying this life to the fullest. So I'm not sure why you feel the need to convince others that your ‘certain knowledge’ of your ape ancestry makes you so much smarter than those of us with a little faith. You can just relax, no need to argue the point that you will have the ‘last laugh’, when we are all dead and don’t exist anymore…

January 25, 2012 at 12:55 am |
  4. GullibleChristians

Their gods should pay taxes as well.

January 25, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • Athiest Bob

Here's hoping your welfare comes from their gods taxes....

January 25, 2012 at 12:31 am |
  5. GullibleChristians

This is why all those pedo pastors and priests don't need to work to put food on tables.

January 25, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • Gary

Mormon Pastors do, the Mormon church doesn't pay them.

January 25, 2012 at 12:27 am |
    • Dan

You are mixing religions. You might want to do some research before you open your mouth... or go back to school.

January 25, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • GullibleChristians

They are all gullible and/or violent to me.

January 25, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Athiest Bob

You must write for the Bill Maher show.... he has as much education as you

January 25, 2012 at 12:32 am |
    • Gary

No my neighbor is a Mormon pastor, preacher man and he has a full time job as well. He works as a physician during the day and spends a few nights at the temple, church whatever. He doesn't get paid by the mormon church.

January 25, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Newt Gingrich

The word 'pastor' makes me want pasta.

January 25, 2012 at 12:57 am |
  6. Kim

You can tell a lot from people–political or non, by thier works. Romney's history of hard work, honesty, and service to his fellow man SHINE when comparing to gingriches ethics violation, BAD history with going into debt over stupid things, history of marital infedelity (what, you call yourself christian?)

January 25, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • Gary

I know yet the Evangelical Christians of South Carolina love him and worship Gingrich as a Christian, silly Republicans! Yay more Obama. Im so glad that people are rioting over this Romney mormon thing because there is no way that he is ever going to get the GOP nomination! I like Obama, though I don't agree with his Healthcare plan. But he did get Osama bin ladin, yay Obama!

January 25, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • grinder

actually, a seal team got bin laden

obama didn't do shlt

January 25, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Gary

I guess your right, but don't call me shlt grinder. I see your point.

January 25, 2012 at 12:38 am |
  7. ClaudiaL

Never thought I'd see the day when Republicans would be clamoring to elect either a Mormon (Mitt) president or a two-time adulterer (Newt) over a Christian family man (Obama). It's almost funny when you think about it. All those Evangelicals have shown their true faces this year.

January 25, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • Gale

It is a known FACT that he is not a Christian but a muslim that wasn't even born in this country.

January 25, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • sam

Gale....you stupid fck.

January 25, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • Jack

Come on, don't clump all Evangelicals together. I'm LDS and it disappoints me when people do that to my church. I think Evangelicals are great people. I have a few friends that are Evangelical and I can understand their point of view when it comes to Mitt Romney. I mean, there are a number of differences between LDS beliefs and Evangelical beliefs and I think everyone tends to vote for who they relate to the most. I just hope that whatever happens this November, we get the best man for the job whether that's Barack Obama, Gingrich, Romney, or whoever else. But one thing is for sure, this country needs to come together and try and find common ground rather than things to disagree on.

January 25, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Newt Gingrich

Claudia and Gale: why don't you hot b!tches come over to my place for a three.some? Just so long as neither of you have cancer or MS or whatever....I hate crippled b!tches.

January 25, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Newt Gingrich

Jack, you can 'come' too...if you know what I mean.

January 25, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • Gary

Good point Claudia, and haha this Newt Gingrich guy is a riot!

January 25, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Newt Gingrich

Gary, you bring the chips...and you get a turn when I'm done.

January 25, 2012 at 12:39 am |
  8. Frank

Hey I've been reading your comments and I feel bad for the ones who are trying to make real comments, I have a suggesting go to WashingtonPost.com if you really want to have a good discussion.

January 25, 2012 at 12:14 am |

thanks for the suggesting

January 25, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Newt Gingrich

What? You want to suck my d!ck? Dial 949 683 3086.

January 25, 2012 at 12:25 am |
  9. Jack

Oh Yeah – because I believe that every person in this world is equal and has value. I may not agree with what you believe, but I will never treat you poorly for it. It's not right. I think it's great to have good debates about different issues as long as everyone has respect for each other.

When you start calling people names or start taking entire groups of people and judging them with the same brush stroke, it's a very damaging thing. It divides people. I tarnishes your own character.

I think it's pretty obvious why everyone should be treated with respect, no matter what their beliefs are.

January 25, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • HeavenSent

I cannot talk to you, you are hellbound.

Amen.

January 25, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • Jack

I'm LDS by the way. I've always loathed how you have both conservatives and progressives that will take the other as a whole and just try and drag it through the mud as much as they can. It's a terrible thing. I believe you can find good in both ideologies. I don't think that any one has a monopoly on all the good ideas.

It's the same thing with religion. I do believe that the LDS church has all the necessary things to bring you back into the presence of the Lord, but I also believe there is much to be learned from other religions. According to LDS beliefs, God has given light to all his children in all nations and faiths. Reading and learning things from other religions can greatly add depth to your spirituality and give you deeper insights into the nature of God. It is my opinion that other religions may not have everything 100% correct, but I know there are valuable things to be had by trying to learn about another faith and why they believe the way they do.

January 25, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • grinder

lds church spent a bunch of money on proposition 8 didn't it?

are you still going to say you think everyone is equal? the lds church sure doesn't think gays have any equality or value

January 25, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • Jack

I'm sorry to hear you say that HeavenSent. I wish you the best.

January 25, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • Jack

I do believe that all LGBT are equal. Every single one of them.

January 25, 2012 at 12:19 am |
    • grinder

equal to the rest of us? or just each other?

January 25, 2012 at 12:20 am |
    • HeavenSent

Hellbound.

Amen.

January 25, 2012 at 12:26 am |
  10. sqeptiq

Do Mormons have to show their tax return to the church to prove they paid 10%?

January 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • HeavenSent

God sends each church a report at the end of the fiscal year.

Amen.

January 25, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Abinadi

No, we take their word for it.

January 25, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Mulehead

HeavenSent
      Hey you're still here...I responded to your comment on page 8.

January 25, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Kim

Arguing on the internet is kind of like the special olympics, because even if you win, your still retarded.

January 25, 2012 at 12:18 am |

you're

not your

get disqualified from the special olympics for being too handicapped did you?

January 25, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • HeavenSent

@Mulehead – you are hellbound, I cannot talk to the hellbound, it is too late for you.

Amen.

January 25, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Dan

No. Honor system.

January 25, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  11. Gale

An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before, but had recently failed an entire class. That class had insisted that Obama's socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great

January 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • grinder

can you please provide a source for this new information

January 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Gale

They wont let me post the rest but go to http://www.reboilroom.com/2012/01/obama-experiment-results-in-professor.html to read the rest! We should just be worried about getting rid of our current President!

January 24, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • HeavenSent

We should be worried about getting rid of people like you.

Amen.

January 25, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • Jamal

Wow HeavenSent it sounds like you are a big supporter of HellSent aka Obama!

January 25, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • grinder

everything you read on the internet must be true

any more stupid rumors you want to spread around

January 25, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • YouLie

You are a liar, I and want the name of the school the professor and the name of the class.
      No wonder your wife left you , you are delusional!!!

January 25, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Palton

Wow guys you just proved that all this Shi* that people have been writing about everything is just that shi*! hahahaha

January 25, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  12. ACHarmon

”donating to your club”....did you miss the part about him donating almost as much to ”other charities?” Thats nearly 20% of his overall income...Hollywood celebrities aside, can you name anyone or have you given anywhere near that much of your income away like that....ever? And, in our church,.the 10% REQUEST, not requirement, is completely income-independant. If you pay,.its 10% on whatever you have, be it $20 or $20 million. .Simple as that.

January 24, 2012 at 11:51 pm |

and he had 27 million so its not like giving money away hurt his piggy bank

big whoop

January 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  13. Jim

THIS JUST IN ROMNEY IS GAY!
    No just kidding- just read!
    Its kind of funny how people are so quick to judge Romney's value system is being scrutinized but people are very cautious and don't really seem to care about Gingrich's. I mean through the media we know that he is very dedicated to his family and his religion. Yet Gingrich claims to be everything Romney is, but he has been divorced twice. And the second divorce ended because he was having an affair on his wife who, at the time, was recently diagnosed with MS.

January 24, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Gale

Not funny about the gay thing! But I agree that Gingrich is more of a creep than Romney! I mean who does that to his wife?

January 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • grinder

so what he didn't want to be married to a cripple

January 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Gale

Wow! Sounds like grinder is really a screen name for Newt Gingrich himself!

January 24, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Newt Gingrich

Got to kick cripple b.itches to the curb.

January 25, 2012 at 12:02 am |

gale

that stupid story you posted about the college professor is a myth just like religion

January 25, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Liz

I prefer Obama, but Gingrich is actually my second choice! He's not that bad

January 25, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Newt Gingrich

Liz, I would like to bang you and leave my current wife for you. You game?

January 25, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Liz

Haha if you are the real Newt Gingrich then yes, if you just get an orage spray tan like snookie and die your hair green. I have a thing for Oompaloompa looking men! Oh yeah did anyone see the Dailyshow with the Gingrich Dwight Schrute look-alike pictures? Hilarious!

January 25, 2012 at 12:25 am |

Liz, honey, I'm on it.

January 25, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  14. Reality

Romney has been conned just like all followers of religion.

To wit:

The Infamous Angelic Cons:

Joe Smith had his mythical Moroni.

"Latter-day Saints also believe that Michael the Archangel was Adam (the first man) when he was mortal, and Gabriel lived on the earth as Noah."

Jehovah Witnesses have their Jesus and the mythical Michael the archangel, the first angelic being supposedly created by God;

Mohammed had his mythical Gabriel (this "tin-kerbell" got around).

Jesus and his family had Michael, Gabriel, and Satan, the latter being a modern day dem-on of the de-mented.

The Abraham-Moses myths had their Angel of Death and other "no-namers" to do their dirty work or other assorted duties.

Contemporary biblical and religious scholars have relegated these "pretty wingie thingies" to the myth pile. We should do the same to include deleting all references to them in our religious operating manuals. Doing this will eliminate the prophet/profit/prophecy status of these founders and put them where they belong as simple humans just like the rest of us.

January 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • rebar

All the religious stories are fairytales. The only difference with the modern ones like Mormonism and Jehovahs is that we have better records, which make it a lot easier to prove that they are fraudulent.

January 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm |

What about pegging?

January 25, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Consequence

Your ignorance is showiing...

January 25, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • sam

Can you throw the word 'hence' in next time? That's hot.

January 25, 2012 at 12:38 am |
  15. Jill

Now people are just making up stuff Im out! Nothing every worthwhile on these blogs!

January 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm |

good riddance

January 24, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Newt Gingrich

B.itches are like screen doors; got to bang them a few times to loosen them up

January 25, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • grinder

have at it cuz i wouldn't touch jill

January 25, 2012 at 12:05 am |
  16. rebar

I don't know many Mormons, but the ones that I know are extremely hard-working, generous, and honest. This makes it even more difficult to accept that they have fallen for the Joseph Smith fairytale. Hard to fathom that seemingly intelligent people have accepted a convicted fellon and pedophile as their spiritual leader.

January 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Matt

Unless it was true.

January 25, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Matt

The prophet part, not the other false crap that was he was accused of.

January 25, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • Abinadi

Usurpers and false prophets are always alone when they have their "visions". That is why the scriptures call for witnesses because the Lord knew that these things would occur. Paul said in 2 Corinthians 13, "1 In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established." That is why we have witnesses to Jesus Christ's resurrection. That is why there were witnesses to all that Joseph Smith said, "Be it known unto all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, unto whom this work shall come: That we, through the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, have seen the plates which contain this record, which is a record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites, their brethren, and also of the people of Jared, who came from the tower of which hath been spoken. And we also know that they have been translated by the gift and power of God, for his voice hath declared it unto us; wherefore we know of a surety that the work is true. And we also testify that we have seen the engravings which are upon the plates; and they have been shown unto us by the power of God, and not of man. And we declare with words of soberness, that an angel of God came down from heaven, and he brought and laid before our eyes, that we beheld and saw the plates, and the engravings thereon; and we know that it is by the grace of God the Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, that we beheld and bear record that these things are true. "

Three men saw an angel and the plates were laid before them!!!! Later, 8 more men saw the plates and handled them. This is the difference between Joseph Smith and the false teachers of the day. JOSEPH SMITH HAD WITNESSES!

That is also why the Father has sent the Holy Ghost to bear witness to us individually, so that we will not be deceived! " 4 And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost."
      5 And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things."
      You can read the witnesses accounts on the introduction page of the Book of Mormon. You can get a free Book of Mormon at mormon.org.

January 25, 2012 at 12:06 am |

funny thing about witnesses

sometimes they get money for their services such as the service of being a witness

January 25, 2012 at 12:10 am |
    • Kelly

You're right. Intelligent people wouldn't follow a convicted criminal and a pedophile. Joseph Smith was neither one, that's why intelligent people then and now sustain him as a prophet. He was never convicted of any crime, even in hostile courts. Learn the facts at http://en.fairmormon.org/Joseph_Smith/Legal_issues

January 25, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • grinder

that's right, post a biased site in favor of the criminal

intelligent people would never believe in a guy that stared at rocks inside of a hat and claimed to see visions

January 25, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • short_stuff

@ rebar You are mistaken about Mormons following a convicted fellon and pedophile as their spiritual leader. There are different branches of the Mormonism. THe LDS church which Romeny is a member of is a totally different from the FLDS church. The LDS church does not practice polygamy the FLDS church does. They are not connected to eachother in anyway. You can learn more about what The LDS Mormons believe at lds.org and mormon.org

January 25, 2012 at 12:37 am |
  17. Kornelia

Romney is a crook!

January 24, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • grinder

and hes in the closet with tom cruise

January 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Newt Gingrich

When I'm pres, I'm going to bend Romney over the big desk in the oval office and give him a big d!ck in his orifice.

January 25, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  18. Kornelia

To brunette_Barbie, and all others who are blinded by Romney's money, and brainwashed by his bs, get YOUR facts straight.

Romney broke Florsheim shoes and Mervyn's department store, to name only two, because of his greed!

Romney is as far from good as the devil himself, WTH!!!

January 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • brunette_barbie_SC

to korn row ella – why don't you CALL ME if you'd like to talk – don't be a coward (my business line is listed a few comments above)

January 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Newt Gingrich

Your business line now a party line, you silly wh0re.

January 25, 2012 at 12:21 am |
  19. LDS William

The Book of Mormon teaches us about peace and love. The Heavenly Father will show Himself to you if you are open to it. Joseph Smith was probably the most important prophet of all time and so many choose to ignore his beloved message. It is such a shame to see the rabid comments coming from the catholics, jews and gays here on this site. Please rethink what you're saying. The LDS church is here to stay, and they do wonderful things for people. I could never be happier. Liberals, please don't be offended, but you haven't a clue what it is you're talking about. You're living in sin. Yes, we have some practices that appear odd to the outside world. But that is because you don't understand. I challenge all of YOU to make the choice to make Jesus Christ your Lord and Savior. I also challenge you to learn about the joys of the Book of Mormon by reading it.

January 24, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • Dave

LDS William is a shill, not a Mormon, for sure.

January 24, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • grinder

mormons worship jesus? since when?

January 24, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • A. Wolf

The Book of Mormon also teaches that Black people have darker skin because God cursed them. I encourage you to learn about the joys of great works of literature which do a better job teaching of peace and love than Western bibles: Plato's "Republic", the Dao De Jing, Paine's "The Rights of Man", "Uncle Tom's Cabin", "The Little Prince", "War and Peace", or "The Diary of Anne Frank", just to name a few. You'd be surprised what wisdom isn't to be found in your book, and what a marvelous world exists outside of that narrow perspective.

January 24, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • Oh Yeah

A. Wolf
      In fairness, that was a very common belief in most Christianity up until relatively recently.

January 24, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
    • Steve

The Book of Mormon is true – go read the Introduction – fantastic! http://lds.org/scriptures/bofm/introduction?lang=eng

January 24, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • jeremy

@grinder. the official name of the mormon church is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. So, yeah, they pretty much worship Jesus.

January 25, 2012 at 12:04 am |
    • grinder

could've fooled me with their obsession with the joseph smith guy

if he was alive today i bet he's be at the top of a pyramid scheme selling juicers or some crap

January 25, 2012 at 12:07 am |
    • Mulehead

A. Wolf
      Well said. I can't understand the facination by people to follow the teachings of any single book without regard to all that has been written.

January 25, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Dave

A Wolf – you should read 2 Nephi 26:33 to find out that God views everyone equally.

January 28, 2012 at 9:11 am |
  20. Jack

There's a lot of disrespect coming from both sides of this issue. That's a sad thing. I can understand how both sides of the argument feel. We're all different. Try unity rather than divisiveness. Try finding common ground. It's okay to disagree, but it can be done civilly.

January 24, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • grinder

no such thing as common ground when youve got a retarded group of people that believe in a made-up religion and another group that lives in reality

what more do you expect?

January 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Jack

I know you feel pretty strongly about what you just said Grinder. I'm not sure how old you are, but I've learned in my life that feelings like hate, distrust, etc. are usually a product of ignorance. There are many, many organizations and beliefs that I don't agree with. However, if you get to know someone from that group personally, when sincerely try and find out why they believe what they do, you find respect for them, even if it's something you don't agree with. When you take an entire group of people and call them derogatory things, it's a very dangerous thing. This is what fuels things like racism, nationalism, and hate in general.

January 24, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Oh Yeah

We are talking about beliefs here, so why is it somehow inappropriate to disrespect what somebody else thinks?

January 24, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Jack

January 25, 2012 at 12:03 am |

ignorance huh jack

you think people are equal? are you mormon?

i don't care about my character cuz none of you matter

January 25, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • theSaintCSR

@grinder Back to your cave troll!

January 25, 2012 at 12:31 am |

blow me

January 25, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Dave

Amen Jack. What is interesting is that anytime there is an article about Mormons, people want to criticize them. We are simply defending our views. Personally, I agree with our Article of Faith "Let them worship how and as they may."

January 28, 2012 at 9:13 am |