home
RSS
January 30th, 2012

Islam doesn't justify 'honor murders,' experts insist

By Richard Allen Greene, CNN

(CNN) - Zainab Shafia's crime was to run off to marry a man her parents hated. Middle sister Sahar's crime was to wear revealing clothes and have secret boyfriends. Youngest sister Geeti's crime was to do badly in school and call social workers for help dealing with a family home in turmoil.

The punishment for all three teenage Canadian sisters was the same: death.

Their executioner: their brother, acting on instructions from the father to run their car off the road.

Another family member, their father's first wife in a polygamous marriage, was also killed.

Hamed Shafia, his father, Mohammed, and his mother, Tooba Mohammed Yahya, were sentenced to life in prison for murder, with Judge Robert Maranger excoriating their "twisted notion of honor, a notion of honor that is founded upon the domination and control of women, a sick notion of honor that has absolutely no place in any civilized society."

Leading Muslim thinkers wholeheartedly endorsed the Canadian judge's verdict, insisting that "honor murders" had no place and no support in Islam.

"There is nothing in the Quran that justifies honor killings. There is nothing that says you should kill for the honor of the family," said Taj Hargey, director of the Muslim Educational Centre of Oxford in England.

"This idea that 'somehow a girl has besmirched our honor and therefore the thing to do is kill her' is bizarre, and Muslims should stop using this defense," he said, arguing that the practice is cultural, not religious in origin.

"You cannot say this is what Islam approves of. You can say this is what their culture approves of," he said.

The Shafia family is originally from Afghanistan.

Experts say honor murders take place in many parts of the world.

"It's definitely a problem that happens in many different places: the Middle East, Pakistan, Bangladesh and among immigrant communities in North America," said Nadya Khalife, a researcher on women's rights in the Arab world for Human Rights Watch.

Several Arab countries and territories, including Iraq, Kuwait, Syria, Yemen and the Palestinian territories, have laws providing lesser sentences for honor murders than for other murders, Human Rights Watch says.

Egypt and Jordan also have laws that have been interpreted to allow reduced sentences for honor crimes, the group says.

Reliable figures of the number of honor murders are hard to come by, Khalife said, but she pointed to a United Nations Population Fund estimate of 5,000 per year.

Khalife agreed that the practice should not be blamed on Islam.

"It's not linked to religion; it's more cultural," she said. "There have been several Islamic scholars who have issued fatwas against honor killing."

Mohammed Shafia, who denied murder, said himself in court that Islam did not justify honor murders.

"In our religion, a person who kills his wife or daughter, there is nothing more dishonorable," he testified.

But Shafia was heard condemning his dead children in wiretapped conversations played in court.

"May the devil defecate on their graves! This is what a daughter should be? Would a daughter be such a whore?" he said.

Hargey, the director of the Muslim Educational Centre, said violence was sometimes the result of painful transition.

"Muslims are in a state of flux," he said.

"They are between two worlds: the ancient world and the new technological age," he said. "Women are getting rights and the ability to choose their own spouses. The family in Canada didn't know how to respond to this: the conflict between the discipline of children and the new reality."

Irshad Manji, the author of "Allah, Liberty and Love: Courage to Reconcile Faith and Freedom," said there was another conflict at work in honor murders, a term CNN uses in preference to "honor killings" because the latter phrase does not properly describe the crime.

It is "a tribal tradition that emphasizes the family or the tribe or the community over the individual," she said.

Although the practice may not be Islamic, she said, not all Muslims understand the distinction.

"It is a problem within Islam because of how Muslims often confuse culture and religion," she said. "It's Muslims who have to learn to separate culture and religion. If we don't, Islam will continue to get the bad name that it gets."

But one vocal British campaigner against honor violence points out that not all the crimes are perpetrated by Muslims.

Jasvinder Sanghera, who was the victim of a forced marriage, is not Muslim; she is Sikh.

"Significant cases are happening within South Asian communities, be it Pakistani, Indian, Sikh, Muslim, Kurdish, Iranian, Middle Eastern communities," she said.

"And we have to recognize that because the statistics don't lie. I am not standing here trying to embarrass those communities. But equally, those communities should be ashamed because this is happening in their community and they are not taking a stand," she said.

On the other hand, honor murders are not a problem in Indonesia, which has the world's largest Muslim population.

"No such a practice can be found among Indonesian Muslims," said Azyumardi Azra, the director of the graduate school at the State Islamic University in Jakarta, Indonesia.

" 'Honor killing' is, I believe, a cultural problem among Arab and South Asian Muslims. I don't think that kind of practice has an Islamic basis," he said.

Although women and girls make up the overwhelming number of victims, there have been at least some male victims, including Ahmet Yildiz, a gay Turkish man whose fugitive father is the main suspect in his 2008 shooting death.

Britain has had about a dozen honor murders per year for the past several years, said Ghayasuddin Siddiqui of the Muslim Parliament of Great Britain.

He, too, said the crimes were not justified by Islam.

"This comes from tribal customs where the father - not both parents - see children as their property. A girl decides to marry somebody of whom their parents do not approve, and they conspire and find some way to kill and dispose of this body," he said. "This is a kind of misplaced shame that parents feel that their daughter has decided to marry somebody of her choosing, not theirs."

Britain's Crown Prosecution Service has an expert devoted to prosecuting honor-based violence, Nazir Afzal.

Convicting perpetrators can be difficult, he said.

"There is a wall of silence around this, and people are not prepared to talk," he said.

But Afzal insisted that it was "absolutely important that you bring every single person to justice because you want to deter other people from doing it."

And along with the Islamic scholars and human rights advocates, he rejected out of hand the idea that religion justified it.

"At the end of the day, murder is murder. There is no faith on Earth, no community on Earth that justifies this," he said.

"Abrahamic faiths say 'Thou shalt not kill,' " he pointed out. "At the end of the day, nobody should die for this."

CNN's Paula Newton, Atika Shubert, Bharati Naik, Ashley Hayes, Ivan Watson and Becky Anderson contributed to this report.

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Canada • Islam • Violence

soundoff (2,115 Responses)
  1. Raghu

All you have to do is to be a good person for 60 years and HE/SHE/IT will you keep you in heaven for 60 billion zillion+ years.

mmm Being a good person is difficult, what are the other ways to please the God?

I think he may like killing the idiots who dint respect him!
    I think he may like sacrificing this animal!
    I think he may appreciate me fighting for him. Why would he punish me?
    I think .....

I like Buddha's preaching and he says..
    "Why do you care about God and its existence? Be a good person! ?If there is a God and Heaven star hotel is real, you will enter if not nothing to loose"

August 20, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  2. David Sullivan

Please explain, what in Islamic faith, values difference, individualism, and freedom of self. I don't see Islam as congruent with a free society. I would enjoy being proved wrong.

August 4, 2012 at 12:57 am |
  3. The Obama Christian Church Worldwide

This is the reason why many people are soon coming here to Washington, D.C. to worship and praise president Obama because he will be God on October 21st of this year. Obama will rule the world and will work with Christ in the rapture of the christian church. This is the good news gospel of Obama and Christ.

March 19, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
  4. Mirosal

@ Wendy ... you'd better study a little harder .. the Second Amendment guarantees the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

February 13, 2012 at 2:24 am |
  5. endgame5515

I don't care what so-called moderates say. Islam as a whole is a backward, repressive religion whose blinded adherents insist on clinging on to and promoting a set of outdated "values". It should not be tolerated in the Western world.

February 6, 2012 at 5:07 am |
    • wendy

Islam is a religion is not entirely backwards, which makes your statement false. Not to mention, oart of the entire concept of the Western world is acceptance, and per the Second Amendment, freedom of religion.

February 10, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • ZN

Sounds like you what you are right now. I am no trying to start arguments but your comment said you are.

February 13, 2012 at 1:37 am |
  6. ytuque

Funny how Ahmadis, Bahais and Christians from Islamic countries do not engage in this practice, yet this writer would have us believe it's all cultural. The writer is yet another apologist for barbaric practices.

February 5, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • MiddleEastern Man

Well said! Bravo.

August 20, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  7. CheeseSteak

First off, there is no God. Not a Christian one or a Muslim one. We're here through a one-in-a-zillion chance encounter between molecular left-handed and right-handed molecular glucose and environmental stressors such as lightning and heat. That and millions and millions years of time and THAT'S why we are here.

When you die, you're dead. DEAD. Nothing else. No God, no Heaven, no anything. No 72 virgins nor meeting Jesus. You turn to dust and eventually get washed out to sea.

All you religious wackos and just that. Insane wackos causing nothing but trouble.

February 5, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • the wise 1

yeah so i guss you are a man of science well tell you what if you are that convince that there is no god maybe maybe not but how about i give you 100 percent proof that there is good and there is 100 hundred proof in the book i follow i woud answer your every question until ur left with nothing but beeing ignorent in what you believe in how about you give me enough evedince that there no god and i give you mine and if u convince me i become an athiest so what up?

February 6, 2012 at 12:50 am |
  8. keresij norman

The only solution is to turn to our almighty GOD who create this universe, who put the breath of life in each and everyone's nostrils; read his holy word ask the almighty to give you wisdom and pray for God's HOLY SPIRIT to work in your heart. There is only one GOD!

February 5, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  9. Surakij Vuthikornpant

Hello,sir.The excellencies,ladies & gentlemen.
    Please allow me to introduce myself properly & show my opinions,sir.

"My God name is “God”,sir."
    "My name is Mr. "Surakij" Vuthikornpant,sir."
    "I can be all I can be, uncertainty is very very certain,with my modesty,humility,good manners & courtesy with highly respect to my “God”,my father ,my God name's "God",if “God" say so,so be it, if “God” 's will,so be it,zero to infinite ,be myself….my nature."
    "I can be all I can be, uncertainty is very very certain,zero to infinite,be myself…my nature."

To be honest,I just a civilian in Bangkok,Thailand,sir.
    I was U.N. volunteer in humanitarian operations during "Infinite Justice","Enduring freedom","Anaconda","Mountain Lion" since 4th Oct 2001 – 15th Jan 2003,sir.

These are about some of problems issues in Muslim Shariah laws,sir.

Sharia law, (Arabic: شريعة‎ šarīʿah, IPA: [ʃaˈriːʕa], "legislation"; also spelled shariah, sharīʿah , also known as Islamic law, قانون إسلامي qānūn ʾIslāmī ) is the moral code and religious law of Islam. Sharia is derived from two primary sources of Islamic law: The precepts set forth in the Al-Qur'an, and the example set by the I-salami Prophet Muhammad in the Sunnah. Fiqh jurisprudence interprets and extends the application of sharia to questions not directly addressed in the primary sources by including secondary sources. These secondary sources usually include the consensus of the religious scholars embodied in ijma, and analogy from the Quran and Sunnah. (Ex.Al-Hadith etc..)
    And in second part MUST NOT conflict to "Al-Qur'an" because "Al-Qur'an" inspired by my "God",sir.

By the way,Al-Qr'an Shariah is the moral code and religious law of I-salami.
    As well as "Al-Qur'an",the Holy Book of I-salami,all of Shariah should be reflection of "immutability of my "God"' wills" for Peace,gloriousness & joy all humanity of all nations & all living,in its purest sense, perfect and unchanging.
    The reflection of omniamoros infinite love of my "God" for all humanity of all nations unconditionally infinitely,for all living unconditionally infinitely.
    As well as,the reflection of divine grace of glaciousness,divine grace of mercy,divine grace of forgiveness,grace of my “God”,the true repentance,the redemption.

So in my opinions,the evolution or refinement of sharia is an effort to reflect my "God's will more perfectly for Peace,gloriousness & joy of all humanity of all nations & all living.

Based on "immutability of my "God"' wills" for Peace,gloriousness & joy all humanity of all nations & all living,in its purest sense, perfect and unchanging.

The reflection of omniamorous infinite love of my "God" for all humanity of all nations unconditionally infinitely,for all living unconditionally infinitely.
    With the reflection of divine grace of glaciousness,divine grace of mercy,divine grace of forgiveness,grace of my “God”,the true repentance,the redemption.

Through the acts,action is reflection of morality.
    And morality is reflection of virtues,based on 7 Heavenly virtues.
    Through the acts,any actions that people have glorious & joy,have awesomenessess & hapinessess after doing that with nobody in troubles ,with & without emotional sorrow to themself & another.
    Guide people to that way.
    Purely for glorious & joy,for awesomenessess & hapinessess of those people,mercy,graciousness,divine grace of forgiveness,love ,omnibenevolence giving,the true repentance,the redemption,divine grace,grace of my "God",sir.
    Because love of "God" is infinite,sir.
    Because Peace as the gift every deserve.

Ohhh,about PBUH ,that I thought pronounciation "Phuuu buuuhhh".
    Peace be upon him ????

Full lenge version with proper translation.

"sallū ʿalayhi wasallimū taslīman" verse by verse translation.
    "Bow down,"my God" upon you and Peace with worthy salutation".
    "Bow down" = "Blessessing"
    "Blessessing",""my God" upon you and Peace with worthy salutation".

mus'limīna Definition "Muslim people" Verse by Verse translation, "In full submission" definition "acceptance".
    To accept,acceptance to "ways Peace" "subula I-salami" ,to accept,acceptance in "ways "God" guides"(guided,is guiiding,will guide),
    To accept,acceptance in "ways of my God",(my God name's "God"),"Way straight","ways Peace".

Now because everybody know,it exist in the book.If anybody invented a lie or denies the verses of “God” in Holy book of I-salami,next time,they repeat inappropriate behaviour against “God” , that time,they testify against themselves,they are disbeliever.Justified,guilty as charge.
    Now,you know,really really exist.

And please don't write or say in shorter version,I will very very appreciate.
    Especially "Puhhhbuhhh".
    recommended & still recommending "open Holy Book therapy",sir.

(For easyunderstanding,imagine peaceful & friendly people in region that "religion" is very very sensitive topic like Afganistan,where the Al-Qaeda pop up.
    If have somebody say something bad about Al-Qur'an ,the holy book of I-salami,
    Scenario will gonna be..please imagine for easyunderstanding,sir.

"Did you insult Al-Quran???" "Are you insulting my God ???"

When peaceful & friendly local people transform into "full time multiple homicidal villagers" and they just angry nothing involve any rules or any laws.

Imagine that...and............

By the way,Please allow me to translate from Al-Qur'an,the Holy book of I-salami,sir.
    Because translation is open for everybody who capable to do that,sir.
    Please allow me,sir.

Chapter (1) sūrat l-fātiḥah (The Opening) Verse 1:1:1 to 1:6:3
    In name of my “God” ,the most gracious , the most merciful ,all praise and thanks to my “God”,the Lord of universe,the most gracious,the most merciful,Master (of the) day,the judgement,You alone we worships and you alone we ask for help , Guide us,the way,the straight.

Chapter (7) sūrat l-a'rāf (The Heights) Verse 7:37:1 to 7:37:37
    7:37:1 to 7:37:15 Then who (is) more unjust than (one) who invented against my “God” , a lie or denies his verses? Those will reach them their portion from the book.
    7:37:16 to 7:37:21 Until when they come to the our messengers to take them in death.(To take their souls),they say.
    7:37:22 to 7:37:29 "Where are those (whom) you used to invoke from besides my “God”” they say.
    7:37:30 to 7:37:37 "They strayed from us," and they (will) testify against themselves that they were disbelievers.

Chapter (5) sūrat l-māidah (The Table spread with Food) Verse 5:15:1 to 5:16:18
    5:15:1 to 5:15:5... O People of the book surely has come to you "our messenger".
    5:15:6 to 5:15:13 Making clear to you much of what you used from something that had been concealed in the book,(the scriptures)
    5:15:14 to 5:15:18 And over looking of much surely has come to you.
    5:15:19 to 5:15:22 From my "God","a light" & "a book".
    5:15:23 to 5:16:2 Clear guides with it.
    5:16:3 to 5:16:8 “God" those who seek his pleasure, (to the ) ways"(of ) I-salami , "peace". 5:16:7 subula to (throught) the way. 5:16:8 l-salāmi (of) the peace
    5:16:9 to 5:16:11 And brings them out from the darknessess.
    5:16:12 to 5:16:14 To "the light",by "his permission". 5:16:13 "I-nuri" the light. 5:16:14 bi-idh'nihi by his permission.
    5:16:15 to 5:16:18 And guides them to the way the straight.
    Subula l-salāmi ways peace ṣirāṭin mus'taqīmin ways straight 5:16:8 I-salami Peace

Chapter (5) sūrat l-māidah (The Table spread with Food) verse 5:44:1 to 5:44:41
    5:44:1 to 5:44:8 Indeed,we revealed "l-tawrāta"(Torah,Taurat) in it guidance the light,judge by it.
    5:44:9 to 5:44:15 The prophets those who had submitted to peace for those who were Jews and the rabbis and the scholars.
    5:14:16 to 5:44:20 With what those were entrusted of book (of) my God,
    5:44:21 to 5:44:23 And they were to it witnesess.
    5:44:24 to 5:44:27 So (do) not fear the people but fear me
    5:44:28 to 5:44:31 And (do) not sell my (God) verses (for) a price,little (for a little price).
    5:44:33 to 5:44:38 And whoever (does) not judge by what has revealed,God.
    5:44:39 to 5:44:41 Then those they,the disbelievers.

Chapter (3) sūrat āl ʿim'rān (The Family of Imrān) verse 3:32:1 to 3:34:7
    3:32:1 to 3:32:4 Say,"obey "God" and messenger".
    3:32:5 to 3:32:11 Then if they turn away then indeed "God" not love the disbelievers.
    3:32:12 to 3:34:4 Indeed "God" chose "Adam",And "Nuh" (Noah),And family (of) "Ibrahim" (Abraham),And family (of) "Imran" over the world's descendants,some of the from others.
    3:34:5 to 3:34:7 "God" all-hearing & all-knowing.

Chapter (5) sūrat l-māidah (The Table spread with Food) verse 5:54:1 to 5:55:13
    5:54:1 to 5:54:8 O you who believe,whoever turn back amoung you from his religions.
    5:54:9 to 5:54:14 Then soon will be brought by God,the people whom he loves and they love him.
    5:54:15 to 5:54:20 Humble towards the believers,sterns towards the disbelievers.
    5:54:21 to 5:54:28 Striving in way of my God and not fearing the blame,the critic.
    5:54:29 to 5:54:32 That's the grace of my God,he grants whom he wills.
    5:54:35 to 5:55:13 And God,all encompassion(all guiding),all knowing,only your ally,God and his messengers and those who believe,and those who establish the prayer and give the purification works (I-zakata,) and they those who bow down.

Chapter (4) sūrat l-nisāa (The Women) verse 4:92:1 to 4:92:60
    4:92:1 to 4:92:22 And not is for a believer that he kills a believer except (by) mistake.And who ever killed believer (by) mistake.Then freeing (of) a slave-believing (not believer any more) .And blood money (is to be paid) to his family unless that they remit (as) charity.
    4:92:23 to 4:92:33 But if (he) was from a people hostile to you and he was a believer.Then freeing (of) a believing slave-believing (not believer anymore).
    4:92:34 to 4:92:47 And if (he) was from a people between you and between them,a treaty.Then blood money (is to be paid),to his family and freeing (of) a slave-believing (not believer anymore).
    4:92:48 to 4:92:60 And who ever (does) not find,then fasting (for) two months consecutively,(seeking) repentance from my God,and God all knowing,all wise.

Chapter (3) sūrat āl ʿim'rān (The Family of Imrān) verse 3:30:1 to 3:31:14
    3:30:1 to 3:30:9 (On the) day will find every soul what it did of good presented.
    3:30:10 to 3:30:13 And what it did of evil.
    3:30:14 to 3:30:20 It will wish that (if) between itself & between it (evil),a distance great.
    3:30:21 to 3:30:26 And warn you,God himself and God most kind to his believers.
    3:31:1 to 3:31:8 Say "if you love God,then follow me,will love you God".
    3:31:9 to 3:31:14 And he will forgive for you,your sins and God is oft forgiving most merciful.

Chapter (33) sūrat l-aḥzāb (The Combined Forces) verse 33:55:1 to 33:56:13
    33:55:1 to 33:55:7 No blame upon them concerning their fathers and not their sons,
    33:55:8 to 33:55:23 And not their brothers and not sons of their borthers,and not sons of their sisters and not their women,and not what they possess rightfully,and fear "God".
    33:55:24 to 33:55:30 Indeed,"God" is over all things,a witness.
    33:55:31 to 33:56:6 Indeed,"God" and his Angels,send blessessing upon the Prophet.
    33:56:7 O you who believe, (yāayyuhā)
    33:56:8 O you who believe, (alladhīna)
    33:56:9 O you who believe, (āmanū)
    33:56:10 to 33:56:13

"sallū ʿalayhi wasallimū taslīman" verse by verse translation.
    "Bow down,"my God" upon you and Peace with worthy salutation".
    "Bow down" = "Blessessing"
    "Blessessing",""my God" upon you and Peace with worthy salutation".

But with omniamorous infinite love of “God” unconditionally ,to love all humanity of all nations unconditionally infinitely,to love all living unconditionally infinitely,
    Forbearance to resolving conflicts and injustice peacefully,to accept the grace of forgiveness,the glaciousness and the mercy for wrongdoers, Forbearance to resolving conflicts and injustice peacefully, Accept the grace of forgive,the mercy,the glaciousness,
    the grace of forgive,the divine grace,grace of my “God”,grace of graciousness,grace of merciful,kindness,compassion & sympathy,Peace is the way,the true repentance,the redemption,the salvation.
    Peace as a gift with love from my "God",everybody deserve.

To resolving conflicts and injustice peacefully that constructing senses to stability and sustain peace in the long term.

“If we keep making wars,where is the peace???”
    “If we keep making wars,how we can achieve the Peace???”
    “If we keep making wars,when we achieve the Peace???”

People who in the ways of peace,people who bring peace to I-salami,they are not infidel.
    Because I-salami mean Peace,anybody who in the ways of Peace,anybody who bring peace to I-salami people,they are not infidel.
    Because in the ways of peace ,everybody deserve,women and men,children and
    old,rich and poor,in the ways of peace , that everybody deserve.

"sallū ʿalayhi wasallimū taslīman"

"Bow down, "my God" upon you and Peace with worthy salutation".
    Bow down = blessessing. (Plural noun of "blessing").
    Humility is 1 of 7 Heavenly virtues , Pursuit of gloriousness,(awesomenessess) and joy,(happinessess).
    Pride 1 of 7 Deadly sin was from the word "Vanity" and "Vanity" from the word "Vainglory" definition "unjustified no gloriousness", to pursuit of gloriousness & joy but acheive nothing that is "unjustified".
    "Loving-kindness toward eachother unconditionally infinitely is most desirable & worthy salutation".
    Sincerely & faithfully.
    Surakij Vuthikornpant.

February 5, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Muneef

Gazak Allah khair Bro.

February 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • CheeseSteak

Its insane asylum candidates like you that require us to go through metal detectors at the airport.

February 5, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  10. Ben

"Islam doesn't justify 'honor murders." BS. Imams and Mullahs sanction it ALL THE TIME. If the Archbishop of NY said it was ok to murder abortion docs, you can be pretty sure CNN would not have a headline "Christianity does not justify Murder of Physicians." ENOUGH already with the double standard.

February 5, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • ThirdEye

Isn't that the truth. Could not agree with you more about the liberal media's (or even the main stream media's) double standard. It's disturbing that the media bends over backward to accomodate political correctness by just accepting opinion as truth. Hey there are Christian wackos, but they're dwarfed by the overwhelming majority of wackos in Islam.

August 20, 2012 at 6:38 pm |
    • Stefany

Sep23Elizabeth D We are in tremendous need of good Catholic magrraies! Living single life well before that is also a gift to the future spouse and to the Church and the world! On the other hand people shouldn't assume that they are meant to be married. Every Catholic should discern in regards to a celibate vocation, either as a priest or consecrated person or in the lay state, and even pray for this gift, if God would be pleased to give it.

October 8, 2012 at 5:12 am |
  11. Bob Smith

The Koran is a violent book.

February 5, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  12. Muneef

bellow is a wonderful website of tafseer al quran alkareem by all schools of Islam

February 5, 2012 at 2:19 am |
    • Avayan1212

Thanks. I ran out of toilet paper, so I printed this out and used it this morning...better than ultra squeezable Charmin.

August 21, 2012 at 6:24 am |
  13. bashir

there is no honour in honor killing. misguided people and causing wrath of GOD. Learn to honour life and its preciousness.

February 4, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  14. Religion does not = God

Its the same problem the world over. Its not God but people who believe in Religion. Its like a political right wing movement for weak and disturbed people who have no power on their own so they feel they have to join some group AKA Religion to show their power. People with real faith in God do no such thing. They dont get fooled by such retarded idea as Honor Killing. Whats the Honor in Killing couples who love each other and want to be together. Its Sick perverts who carrly out such acts.

February 4, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  15. MuslimsAreNotTerrorists!!!

Muslims are not terrorists!!!! I know that most of you right now want to argue with me and try to prove that they are!!! well come on ARGUE WITH ME!! you will LOSE anyway!! give it your best shot!! am sick of people who think Muslims are terrorists!!

February 3, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • u r right

only 99.9999999% of Muslims are terrorists.

February 3, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • MuslimsAreNotTerrorists!!!

nope stranger!!! terrorism is banned in islam!!! the ones who are terrorists are not really true muslims

February 4, 2012 at 6:42 am |
    • BG

Then go 'round up all the 'terrorists', the imams that encourage them, the politicians that tolerate them and the 'moderates' that lie for them.

What bullshít. Just stop with the empty rhetoric already.

February 4, 2012 at 6:54 am |
    • Religious Guy

@u r right
      Its just your hatred for other religion that makes you feel what you say is justified. Actually one of the main reason it has been easy for Taliban & Al-Queda to recruit is to explain how non-muslims are killing muslims – see how many innocents wer killed after Americans took over Iraq.....many were shot dead just with the fear that they are comming to kill the soldiers. Look at how some idiots in US army uniform desecrate bodies of the dead and also in the various prisons.....these are the fodder for them. We need to look at how to change this view and not start unnecessary wars. Average muslims are not concerned whats happening around the world. But some stupid imams poison their minds. To call every one of the Muslims terrorists is plain stupidity....somewhat similar to what the idiotic father thought of when killing his three daughters.

February 4, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • thecatisasleep

Fight with an entire tribe. Don't fight with an idiot. Salam!

February 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  16. V

They say its not religion but their culture. But what influences culture?? Yeah I thought so. Stop beating around the bush. If not but for the influence of ridiculous, patriarchal, fundamentalist religious values people would not be inclined to commit such atrocities.

February 3, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • Religious Guy

Religion does not change culture to a large extent. Why do you think many Christians still pray to a cross.....carries around a cross....keeps cross at home or paintin of a man whom they believe is Christ. Christ did say not to pray to idols. But it has been a cultural thing to have a reference to God. Culture existed before CHristianity and Islam came into existence and this Honor Killing stupidity too existed prior to those religions.

February 4, 2012 at 9:24 am |
  17. supernova

Does everyone hear that whirring sound? That's the sound of Islamists trying to put a positive spin on the stories of horrific honor killings (perpetuatated by the followers of their religion) to make it seem like like the fault is elsewhere. Spin, spin, spin away – it won't do any good – the conclusion is always the same: Islam is a terrible religion if you're a female.

February 3, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Religious Guy

Honor killings have take place in nearly all religions....its just a cultural thing whihc has been rooted out to a large extent. It has nothing to do with religion. In early Roman empire, early Europe, Asia....you will find this stupidity to have happened across religions.

February 4, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  18. Muneef

For easy reference

Quran & Logic_Part I – The Source of Quran

The Second Video:
    The Quran & Logic _Part II – The challenge

The Third Video:
    The Quran & Logic _Part III: The renewable Miracle

February 2, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  19. Muneef

Would like to share with you the following received;

What proves that the Qur'an is the Word of God? What proves that the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) did not write it?
    This claim was studied and analyzed carefully in
    The answer to such claim is divided into two parts:
    Logical answer and scientific answer.
    Both aspects of logic and science are the qualities that combine and distinguish humans.

In the following videos we address those who disagree through rational and scientific methods can be found at ; http://Rasoulallah.net

The First Video:
    Quran & Logic_Part I – The Source of Quran

The Second Video:
    The Quran & Logic _Part II – The challenge

The Third Video:
    The Quran & Logic _Part III: The renewable Miracle

February 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • ashrakay

There is absolutely NOTHING scientific about belief in god, allah, leprechauns or fairies. Science has as much interest in disproving theories as it is in proving them. You see absolutely no effort in any religion to disprove the beliefs it teaches. There is also no evidence provided by religion as proof of god that could not be replaced with "proof of the super invisible magical bunny." In other words, there is no evidential conclusion of "god" that does not involve faulty reductive logic. The fact is, the more you learn and understand about the universe around you, the smaller and smaller role god has to play in it. If you spent 1/4 of the time learning and reading that you spent evangelizing, I suspect you'd stop posting things like this.

February 3, 2012 at 7:24 pm |