home
RSS
Opinion: Eddie Long still has more apologizing to do
Bishop Eddie Long has apologized to the Anti-Defamation League over an incident in which he was wrapped in a Torah scroll.
February 6th, 2012

Opinion: Eddie Long still has more apologizing to do

Editor’s note: Carolyn Edgar is a lawyer and writer in New York City. She writes about social issues, parenting and relationships on her blog, Carolyn Edgar.

By Carolyn Edgar, Special to CNN

Now that Bishop Eddie Long has apologized to the Anti-Defamation League for a service at his New Birth Missionary Baptist Church that purported to crown him a “king,” one has to wonder what Long was thinking.

With all the scandal that has surrounded him recently, Long and the New Birth leadership should have anticipated that the video of the New Birth service would attract a great deal of attention, including from Jewish groups. Even if Long were unfamiliar with Jewish rituals and traditions, he might have guessed that having himself wrapped up in a Torah scroll might be considered controversial. Long rightly apologized to the Anti-Defamation League for misusing the holy Hebrew scriptures and Jewish rituals in his “coronation” ceremony.

However, Long still owes some apologies.

FULL STORY
- Dan Merica

Filed under: Christianity • Content Partner • Judaism • Leaders • Pastors • Torah

1. Nii Croffie

Psychotic is the operative word here. If the scientific community felt believers WERE psychotic we will have called in at least 5bn people for treatment including the many believing psychaitrists. Every word is important. 'No proof' does not mean false. It just means outside our scope.

February 8, 2012 at 2:48 am |
    • When talking about Nii, "psychotic" is indeed the operative word

"Psychosis is a loss of contact with reality, usually including false beliefs about what is taking place or who one is."

February 8, 2012 at 2:53 am |
  2. Nii Croffie

P(E)=P(F) P(L) is a mathematical not scientific formula. What will be scientific will be E=kFL or E=kF kL with physical quan ti ties expressed in the 7 basic physical quan ti ties. Irrespective of Methodology if u arrive @ this u have won. After verification in a competent independent science lab.

February 8, 2012 at 2:32 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Yabba dabba doo! I are science! Science is not a science concept.

Pretend I know to things these, science stuff, yeah, it makes sense to me

I'm cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs! Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs!!!

February 8, 2012 at 2:36 am |
  3. Nii Croffie

Note that there must be physical quan ti ties for Effective Prayer, Faith and Love expressible in the 7 basic physical quan ti ties.

February 8, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • Just a hint

You need to back off on the meds there Nii. That post made even less sense than your other ones . . . which is hard to do, actually.

February 8, 2012 at 2:28 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Certainly. I did not come to make sense to every Tom, Dick and Harry including yourself. I wanted a scientist who has studied prayer, love and faith to answer. We will understand ourselves don't worry. As to the rest of u we will say whether it was found true or false. So be cool ok. No insults.

February 8, 2012 at 2:38 am |
    • Nii Croffie

I am the knight who says Nii! I want a scientist to study the unstudyable! And I want a shrubbery!

February 8, 2012 at 2:41 am |
  4. Nii Croffie

Do u know the easiest way to test prayer? Be a Christian/Muslim/Jew. Love ur neighbor as yourself. Make it your number 1 thought. Love God with all your life more than anything else. Now pray to God as your best pal. 4 answers-Yes/No/Maybe/Wait. Begin test Now. Social Sciences=science. Lol

February 8, 2012 at 2:07 am |
    • Nii Croffie

My battles with schizophrenia have not been as successful as I would hope. My posts are fragmented. Nonsensical. Dissociative.

February 8, 2012 at 2:31 am |
    • Jiminy Cricket

Interesting... those are the same results/answers that one gets when wishing upon a star.

February 8, 2012 at 2:32 am |
    • Nii Croffie

excellent so maybe u and that star shud be getting chummier 'cos ur probability of getting a yes goes up u see!

February 8, 2012 at 3:12 am |
  5. Iqbal Khan

Israelis Should be Afraid of Their Leaders, not Iran

By Gideon Levy

Some of the people reading these lines will not live through the winter; some of them may not die a natural death.

February 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

February 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Nope

`The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs.~~~~~~~

February 7, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Prayer didn't help Dan O'Brien. In 1992, O'Brien set a world record of 8,891 points as a decathlete. He and another decathlete, Dave Johnson, were the focus of a huge Reebok advertising campaign that year.

At the U.S. Olympic trials, O'Brien chose to skip the lower pole vault heights. He then failed on his first three attempts. After all the hype, he failed to qualify. Oops!

February 7, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Eddie Long

I be prayin haaaaaaaaaaaaaard for some fried chicken, water melon, and purple drank! OH LORD PLEASE GIVE ME MY FOOD!

February 7, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  7. Eddie Long

Eddie Long heah. I loves me some fried chicken, and purple drank! Ima go get me some purple drank! maybe some watermelon!

February 7, 2012 at 3:11 pm |
  8. Nii Croffie

Jo have we measured levels of faith and love before in absolute terms. This is the biblical formula for effective prayer. If u can express this in physical quan ti ties u have a wi nn er.

February 7, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Jo

Take a look at this article. The Journal of Psychology and Theology has always been a favorite of mine.

Prayer and health: Conceptual issues, research review, and research agenda.
      McCullough, Michael E.
      Journal of Psychology and Theology, Vol 23(1), 1995, 15-29.

February 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

You will notice Psychology is put in the same Journal with Theology. Both of them Re Social Sciences not Natural Sciences. This might seem strange but even Mathematics is considered a Social not a Natural Science. I will check out your book though.

February 7, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

I have located the research paper. I will study it in full. However he admits the difficulty of finding an appropriate methodology for measuring prayer and its effects in the preamble. Psychology uses the Scientific Method but not necessarily the physical quan ti ties required in a Natural Science.

February 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Psychology is not to be confused with the medical fields of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychaitry which are Natural Sciences.

February 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Yo!

The more you post and talk to yourself the more you prove how delusional you are in your faith.

February 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Thank you for stopping me. I love u as myself.

February 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Now tell me what is the scientific definition for delusion and that for faith and why faith=delusion. I want u to explain O wise One so that I may change my mind!

February 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • martint

There is just so much about prayer that is wrong and useless, where to begin is my issue. Someone said that prayer can't be tested or proven, of course it can be. I proposed to the Catholic Church nearly 30 years ago a plan to test prayer, it even was a way that actually didn't test their God as they kept saying we shouldn't do. No, the issue is that religions and prayer are one of the biggest waste of time, human resources, money, and life that the world sees today.

February 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Martint please give us the simplest test of prayer. Use the formula. Effective Prayer=Faith Love.

February 8, 2012 at 2:12 am |
    • Noah Webster

Nii, faith is the "firm belief in something for which there is no proof," and delusions is "a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite compelling evidence to the contrary."

As you see, both involve believing in something that has utterly no evidence to support its existence in any way. The definitions are virtually interchangeable. The major difference is that delusion is often individual, whereas faith is, to some degree, mass delusion.

February 8, 2012 at 2:24 am |
  9. Prior

"Those who reject the path to enlightenment, must be destroyed."

"Hallowed are the children of the Ori."

February 7, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  10. Eddie Longs Cadillac

Yaw bettuh shedup oh i run ya asses ovuh.

February 7, 2012 at 11:25 am |
  11. Eddie Long Here

MO MONEY MO MONEY MO MONEY. To Gawd b duh glowree!!

February 7, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  12. Eddie Long Here

It was dim jews dat make me do it. I pay dim lots uh money but not fo dat. Day makin duh bishup looks bad an I aint say sory NO MOE. Yaw awl can kiss my blackAss. Praise duh lawd!!

February 7, 2012 at 10:02 am |
  13. derp

Dear Followers,

I sincerely apologize for making negative comments for all these years about hom os while simultaneously sucking every single dick I can get my hands on.

Yours truly,

Reverend Long.

February 7, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  14. Prior

"So it came to pass that Ver Omesh was gripped by a great famine. So Markon went to the Prophet Articus and asked to go to the forest for food. The prophet bade him be patient, for the Ori provide for all who have faith. But Markon did not believe. So the prophet drew a line in the sand and told him, 'step across and you may do as you wish.' So Markon did and left the village and feasted on wild berries.The fruit was bitter. It did not satisfy him. He longed to return to the village, but found that the line had widened to a great chasm. He called out to the Prophet in fear, but the Prophet said, 'The line has not changed; it is you who have changed. Step across if you truly believe' So Markon prayed for forgiveness and took the first step and the hands of the Ori enveloped all those who welcomed him back."

"Hallowed are the children of the Ori."

February 7, 2012 at 9:22 am |
  15. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 7, 2012 at 6:26 am |
    • Nope

~~~`The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs.

February 7, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • Commenter

@Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things,

Yup. It changed you from an innocent, curious child into a mindless bot. **sigh**

February 7, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Nii Croffie

NO PE science cannot measure prayer because it does not have a physical quan ti ty expressible in one or more of the seven basic physical quan ti ties

February 7, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Jo

Actually, prayer is measurable in the biology of the participating individual; vocal performance, breathing patterns, active posture, and brain activity. It is ironic how science is able to answer everything in our world. Possibly because science is founded on analyzing patterns and recreating the results. God is without a doubt a pattern; everyone uses the same three-letter word to make reference.

February 7, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

A study using the Scientific Method is different from a study in the Natural Sciences in this- scientists use physical quan ti ties but the others may or may not. Statistics without physical quan ti ties is not scientific evidence no matter who does them.

February 7, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Jo

Actually, it is.

February 7, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Prayer didn't help Kicker/punter Russell Erxleben was selected by the New Orleans Saints at 11th overall in the 1979 NFL Draft. Kellen Winslow was taken with the 13th pick.

He kicked four field goals in his entire career and left the Saints after five years. Ouch!

February 7, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
    • Jo

That makes sense. In the middle of a game, who but the spectators have time to pray?

February 7, 2012 at 1:26 pm |

@Jo
      Well I suppose anyone can pray whenever they wish. I know this, prayer didin't help The Colts in the 2006 AFC Divisional Game. It featured three choke jobs in one minute of football.

First, Jerome Bettis fumbled the football on the Colts two yard line. Then, cornerback Nick Harper couldn't get away from Ben Roethlisberger one on one in open field. Finally, Mike Vanderjagt missed a 46 yard field goal that would've tied the game.

On top of that, if Harper's wife didn't stab him in the knee the week of the game, he probably could've outrun Roethlisberger for the go-ahead score.

By the way, that win by the Steelers made them the first sixth seed in NFL History to advance to the Conference Championship Game (it was against Denver).

February 7, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
  16. grinder

hitler had a swastika

this guy has a badge looking thing embroidered into his overpriced suit

February 7, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • Sports Fan

I am reminded of the Calgary Flames professional hockey team. Howevere their logo was not nearly as subtle as the flame on his suit.

February 7, 2012 at 12:56 am |
  17. Sports Fan

I LlKE DlCK IN MY BUTT!!!!

Big ones too 🙂

February 7, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • Sports Fan

Why do you steal my name and tell lies about me? I don't get. Don't you like sports?

February 7, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Sports Fan

I don't steal names, I just like big ole penls right in the my butt, dont you like butt welners?

February 7, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Sports Fan

I like a tight end that can block and catch a pass over the middle. Too bad Gronkowski was injured for the Super Bowl. I think it took the New England offense out of their confort zone (like running the no-huddle). Still, glad the Giants won!

February 7, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  18. thewayIsee it

Eddy Long doesn’t empress me , but the question I have is why is it that the Jewish people are so easily offended, This sort of thing, even though I think it is stupid (what else could you expect) wouldn’t bother any other religion very much. I think the Jewish people are very sarcastic and insulting, but it doesn’t work the other way around.

February 6, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Did you know tha LA is getting am NFL team? They just announced it! They'll be called the Los Angeles Rhinos, I can't wait!

February 7, 2012 at 12:21 am |
    • Sports Fan

Why do you steal my name and tell lies? I don't get. Don't you like sports?

February 7, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • Jew!

@theway...

Let's ignore you calling all Jews insulting and sarcastic for a moment. This particular instance is insulting because a) you aren't supposed to touch the Torah with your skin, everyone must use a yod when reading the Torah. Wrapping it around someone is tantamount to burning a bible. Second, this Torah was most likely not a holocaust relic but if it was....well that just makes my skin crawl. Calling someone a king, representing the Jews and calling yourself a rabbi, all of which are lies, is pretty dispi cable.

February 7, 2012 at 1:57 am |
    • Jew!

@Sports Fan

I think you're lost kiddo, do you need as sistance? http://Www.espn.com is a great place to discus what you're interested in

February 7, 2012 at 2:00 am |

@Jew!
      No this is fine. Thanks. Don't you like sports?

February 7, 2012 at 2:41 am |
    • thewayIsee it

@Jew: Your comments are just what I’m talking about Jewish people being over sensitive. I doubt that there are many Christians that would be very upset about a Bible burning, they are more likely to feel sorry for the Bible burners than the Bible. (I’m not sure about Muslims; they might get a little crazy if you were to burn a Quoran (spelling?) but what would you expect, they are a little crazy anyway, they are offended, scared to death at the just the sight of a pig.) Besides, I think that the Torah that was used was a fake. This was a stupid event, I really doubt that any harm was intended. I have no idea what “wrapping him in a Torah and “crowing" him king could even symbolize. Just crowning him “king" is sacrilegious and offensive with the Christian community, but they are not “demanding” an apology, they are just giving him an eyeball roll, and twirling their finger over their head [like he is crazy, they are not not offended]. I think Eddie is a little more than off. I don’t know for certain, but I have a feeling that his true religion/god is self.

February 7, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • bigot

"I doubt that there are many Christians that would be very upset about a Bible burning"

LOL most christians cant even take the ridicule from blog posts on CNN.com. Try again.

February 7, 2012 at 9:14 am |
    • Jew!

Call us overly sensitive, but it's what keeps us alive. You seem to ignore the great extent of christian persecution complex that is happening in this country and still try to point the finger at someone else? Of course this event didn't elicit that much from the chistian community because it happened in house. If you were to find another christian they'd answer with an eye roll and a should shrug. Now, if you were to ask the same christian about a Synagogue or a Mosque burning a heap of bibles because they were sacrilegious, I bet you'd find that same person furious or at least would comment that chirstians are being targeted in this country. Get over yourself dude.

And the reason why jews are sensitive? Well lets just say they (everyone) have tried to systematically wipe us out too many times, expelled us from too many places for a jew to get truly comfortable anywhere in the world. Can you tell me any other group of people that for centuries have been told to leave their homes and their entire world behind because an entire country has decided that they are doing stuff they aren't? What about being indiscriminately murdered for no other reason than being a part of that group? We might be overly sensitive, but being that way keeps us alive.

February 7, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • guest for today

@bigot: Most of the “Christians” that you see on this board are fanatics. They do not represent “most” Christians, they are just a small fragment of Christians. How many “real” Christians do you really know? Which leads me to wonder if it is the same with the atheists, there is just a small fragment of atheists on this board: are most of them fanatics too?

February 7, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • guest for today

@ Jew: You are right! there has been a lot of “systematic” effort to rid the communities of Jews. There must be a reason. (Muslims are also not wanted too much wanted in the western world–there must be a reason.)

February 7, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Jew!

Intolerance.

Intolerance and a superiority complex. Those are the only reasons I can find. If you think there's a deeper reason then you are committing the begging the question fallacy and are wrong and a lot of different levels.

February 7, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • Stormfront

Intolerance? Is it intolerance that makes you Je-ws force wh-it-e countries to open their borders to hordes of th-ird wor-ld sav-ag-es? Not Asian countries, India and Arab countries aren't forced to, Africa isn't, just wh-i-te countries. You Je-ws control everything, and are trying to wipe US out. Want to know why you're not wanted? Look at AIP-AC and Isr-ael, and you'll know.

February 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Jew!

My, aren't we angry today.

Might I ask how exactly? I think your little rant was you being a troll but I am interested in what makes someone white, when most jews in America are in fact white as well, or what a "white country" is.

February 7, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • Stormfront

@k-i-k-e: Ask how what? You're destroying my people? You know exactly how. All of this integration BS, all of the race mixing propoganda your manipulative, evil kind put together. You want to mix whites completely out of existance, because we can stop YOU from taking over.

What makes someone white? Very simple. Being of solely European stock. That means no jews. that also means no africans, no asians, no mexicans, no south americans. European only. No Jew is white. Your loyalty belongs to Israel and your filthy ilk and that's all.

February 7, 2012 at 6:12 pm |
    • Stormfront

@K-i-k-e: I forgot to mention: White countries are.. everywhere in Europe, the United States, and Canada.

February 7, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • Jew!

Precious

So if I were to tell you I came from the European side of Russia, as well as German/Polish.... you know, all european, would you call that not jewish? Oops, I forgot, some of we dislike jews but have no idea why and have completely bogus perceptions of who jews are. By your little racial epithet I'm gonna guess pure troll, but who knows, people like you are actually out there.

Also, just between you and I, being part of the shadow council of elders I can promise you are the next person on the agenda to leave a little magnetic surprise under your car, I wouldn't turn it on for a while..., oh yeah, I also talked to the council, your finances might be in a bind in a little and you might lose your internet privileges soon for lack of funds. Good luck in life champ!

February 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • rick

stormfront: i am one of the folks you inbred F's call a Mud Person. if that bothers you, come and get us. we'll be waiting.

February 9, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  19. No please ...

Just make him go away. He has NOTHING to say. Just make it stop. Go away, and stay away. Isn't there an island somewhere for fat, ugly, gay, pompous kings ?

February 6, 2012 at 11:05 pm |
    • Sports Fan

I agree 100%. I am not a Chris Berman fan either but he will never go away. He just keeps talking and talking and talking. He is kind of "Grandfathered" in I guess. I personally would not miss in babbeling.

February 6, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • tallulah13

Two words - Tim McCarver. Could that man be more annoying?

February 6, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Sports Fan

LOL. No one can spend so much time dissecting a single pitch as that guy. And it is all BS. Agree!

February 6, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • I_get_it

Even at that, I'd listen to those guys all day... rather than just 5 minutes of Eddie Long's cr@pola!

February 6, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Sports Fan

I miss Chick Hearn. The mustard's off the hotdog! RIP Chicky.

February 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • sam

I miss Dave Neihaus. "Get out the rye bread and the mustard, grandma! It's a grand salami!"

February 7, 2012 at 2:54 am |
    • Sports Fan

Sam, yes that is great. You know who I can't stand, but yet he and his broadcast partener when best NBA Radio broadcasters seemingly every year? The play by play guy for the L.A. Clippers. I can't even think of his name right now, but every time someone makes a 3-pointer he yells, "Bingo"......Bingo?? Really?

February 7, 2012 at 3:10 am |
    • urafkntool

Harry Caray was a great announcer, and his heart was always in the game.

February 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm |

@tool
      Yes, he was one of the greats. And his son is a chip off the ol' block too! I think Will Ferreldoes a hilarious impression of him...

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf2LgpIX6tY&w=640&h=360]

February 7, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Let's not forget about Vin Scully. The best in the biz and he is, I guess in his late 80's now? Awsome.

February 7, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
  20. Sports Fan

Look, sometimes the moment is just bigger than the person. You are going to drop a pass or fumble the football or miss field goal. These fine athletes are only human after all.

February 6, 2012 at 9:48 pm |