home
RSS
Mixed Catholic reaction to revised White House contraception plan
New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, whom President Barack Obama called Friday morning.
February 10th, 2012

Mixed Catholic reaction to revised White House contraception plan

By Eric Marrapodi CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Washington (CNN) - As word trickled out of a White House compromise with Catholic groups on its rule around contraception coverage on Friday morning, administration officials took to the phones to sell the plan to religious leaders across the spectrum.

Catholic officials say President Obama called New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, President of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, to explain the revised policy, which exempts religiously affiliated universities and hospitals for paying for no cost contraception for their employees but requires insurers to offer such coverage for for free to women who work at such institutions.

Dolan responded to the White House plan Friday afternoon in a statement saying the move was, "a first step in the right direction."

“While there may be an openness to respond to some of our concerns, we reserve judgment on the details until we have them," he added.

But other bishops were far more critical. "I think he's punting, just kicking the can down the road," Miami Archbishop Thomas Wenski told CNN. "He's hasn't really addressed our concerns.  I think the only thing to do is... to take back the whole thing."

After hanging up with Obama Friday morning, Dolan quickly organized a conference call with other bishops nationwide, according to a source briefed on the calls. It's yet to be seen how the Catholic Church will greet the revised White House policy, but some conservative religious voices say they're not satisfied.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Wenski said the Miami Archdiocese pays an insurance company to cover its 5,000 employees and argued that if the insurance company is paying for and providing contraceptives, as the new compromise lays out, the church would still be paying for it.

"They're missing the point when they say this is about contraception," he said. "This is about religious freedom.  It's a sham to say contraception aren't widely available in this country."

But some Catholic groups applauded the White House announcement. Sister Carol Keehan from the Catholic Health Association said she is"very pleased" with the White House.

"Folks were extremely grateful for this," said James Salt, who heads the progressive group Catholics United, which is close to the White House.

Salt was on a White House call to religious leaders Friday morning that was led by Joshua DuBios, director of Obama's Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

"This is a solution that can be universally celebrated," Salt said. " There were groups on the call that have a very pro-choice world view and there was no dissent... We're putting out a full-throated endorsement of this."

Stephen Schneck, a professor from Catholic University who has advised the administration in the past, is also pleased with the new HHS policy.  "There was great enthusiasm on the call, a real sense of relief," he said, referring to the conference call with DuBois.

"I think [the administration] finally got it as a result of the fire storm...the religious liberty concerns, that's what turned the policy makers," he said.  "The level of solidarity with the bishops  in seeing this as a religious liberty issue is what I think turned the day."

In recent weeks, religious leaders loudly lobbied the White House on its plan to make religious institutions offer free contraception to employees through health insurance plans. Evangelicals and conservative Jews joined with Catholics in saying the policy was an intrusion of religious liberty.

"As long as the Obama portrayed this as a contraception issue they had a chance to win the pr battle," said Richard Land, head of public policy for the Southern Baptist Convention.  Despite the compromise, Land said the damage has been done.

"It'll be devastating with Catholics," he said, arguing that the president has "shown what he really believes."

The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which brought three lawsuits in federal court against the policy, denounced the White House change Friday as an “accounting gimmick.”

Becket said the new compromise doesn’t address the private religious groups and others who object the policy and still view the new policy as them paying for contraceptives, albeit through an insurer.

“Hundreds, if not thousands, of religious institutions are still left out in the cold and will be forced to violate their religious convictions,” said Hannah Smith, senior legal counsel for the Becket Fund, in a statement.

An administration official said the White House will convene meetings with religious leaders in coming days and that “this policy will be developed collaboratively so that the ultimate outcome works for religious employers, their workers and the public.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Bishops • Catholic Church • Church and state • Politics

soundoff (2,082 Responses)
  1. Delta

I am ashamed that our country has heretofore allowed wimps to not go to war and kill because it "violates their conscience!" Puh-leez! If our president starts hostilities against another group of people, every American should be expected to KILL for that cause.

February 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

What are you talking about?.. This is a contraception discussion.

Oh… sorry you have not had your pill today..!!

February 11, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

Thats why we dont have a draft!
      Aslong as we have decent human beings willing to fight for our "liberties" we won't have to do that!

February 11, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

Lmao! Bob! That was funny! And likely true!

February 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • So?

If I hear what your saying, Delta, then if we're going to have abortion everyone should pitch in. I guess it's not hard. Just dilate and scrape. You're a man ahead of your time, Delta.

February 11, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  2. Delta

Since capital punishment is permissible, I think every organization should be mandated to set aside a portion of their funds to directly pay for it, to include OWS, the ACLU, the Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity, ANSWER, and so on.

February 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

Capitol punishment is paid for by state taxes! Everyone equally chips in for their states cost of it! Except of course your church, which doesn't pay any taxes!

February 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  3. Delta

Jewish and Muslim schools, if they take any public funding, ought to be FORCED to serve pork. ITS A LEGAL PRODUCT!

February 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

I like pork.. yummy...

February 11, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

No we can't force them to serve it. Then we would be acting like a church!
      But if they want to bring bacon to school for lunch. The school can't not allow that!
      Let me know when you see a pattern here!
      Mmm! BLT sounds great! I love me some bacon!

February 11, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Lagos

That makes no sense, as a serious statement or otherwise.

February 11, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
  4. Delta

I am sick and tired of living in a country that allows individuals, or organizations to opt out of doing something that they claim violates their conscience! It's time to FORCE people to do whatever is legal! Wont you join me!

February 11, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • So?

No Delta. It's legal for you to shove an American flag up your ass, and that might make you a patriot, but I've no interest in joining you.

February 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
  5. GodIsTheWay

like I said on another thread: If you claim to be Cathoic, you cannot use birth control. If you wish to use birth control, you cannot be Catholic. they do not go together. There are no exceptions, no grey areas. It is completely black and white, period, end of discussion. If you wish to belong to something greater than you, a cause that MEANS something, then you have to follow ALL of the rules, not just the ones you like or are comfortable with. Or that fit your sins.

February 11, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

Jesus! You're Still delusional! your sky daddy And church may be the way for you! but for me and my kids, they will never be around the likes of you!
      I dont trust your crazy azz's anymore than I could throw ya!
      Go to a shrink, and tell him how you see, and talk to god! Only replace the name god, with a name like I don't know, ummmm, Michelle! And see how long your god protects you from a straight jacket!
      My point here is that you religious folk are a bunch of dangerous lunatics. And lucid minded person would see it the same way!

February 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • visitor

Well, you are wrong. If the Catholics can claim me as a Catholic because I was baptized a Catholic, I get to be a Catholic. Deal with it bucko.

February 11, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • GodIsTheWay

@Dishonestly: Blah blah blah yap yap hate hate negativity hate hate hate blah blah. That's really all I read from your bigoted post.

@visitor: no, I'm not wrong. You may be baptised Catholic, but unless you actually follow the rules, you aren't one. It's not a buffet. You can't pick and choose.

February 11, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • visitor

As a matter of fact, I can. And unless you are going to excommunicate me, there isn't a dang thing you can do about it.

Let me guess, you are a man yes?

Did you support George Bush after he invaded Iraq after the Pope said it was wrong?

What is is, Catholic man? Bush or Pope John?

February 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • GodIsTheWay

@Visitor: First and foremost, I'm not Catholic. I'm Orthodox, although like many that have returned to the true Church of Christ, I came from the Catholic Church. Yes, I'm a man, and no, I do not allow birth control of any kind in my house. Given the opportunity, however, if I could get your information to your Archdiocese office, I'm certain they'd be happy to Catechize you properly about the actual RULES you have to follow.

No, I didn't support Dubya attacking Iraq. It had nothing to do with the Pope though, just my personal desire for the US to leave everyone else alone, and thus be left alone.

February 11, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • visitor

Well Godistheway, I'll give you points for honesty. By the way, all you have to do is take 96 percent of all Catholic females of child bearing age and "out" them to the diocese of your choice. It's like shooting fish in a barrel. All apostates. I would probably start with the Orthodox church however. I am absolutely certain you have the same problem over there. And you can add in all the non-Roman Catholic churches too. Sorry Godistheway, but the odds are very much against what you think is going on with the females in your sphere. But certainly you can try, and have an illusion of control.

February 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Prayer works miracles

February 11, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • mendacitysux

You're right. They would be taught to think logically, not believe in fairy tale stories, do whats right because its right not because some magical being says so, be in control of their own future instead of praying for something to happen, have someone interpret what they think a book says, yeah that would be terrible

February 11, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

Athiesm protects your children from religious child molesters!

February 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • goddog

Look at all the good prayer has done so far... God, you have been voted off the island. And... you're fired!

February 11, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • want2believe

Don't bother with this looser. He/she regurgitates the same thing in every article related to religion. If prayer changes things, go pray in your closet like the bible tells you to. This is America...people can believe in/or not believe in whatever they like.

February 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • bringoutyourdead

demons attack prayer in the terror of what it represents to them. No demon wants to see the dead souls they inhabit brought to life

February 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

HONESTLY! wrote:

""Athiesm protects your children from religious child molesters!""

I trully believe that..

February 11, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
  7. migeli

The republican candidates have really opened my eyes.I realize now that the earth is flat.Maybe thats why I can see Russia from my window with that hump gone.And is it my imagination that the sun is now revolving around the earth again?Forget about "the pill".Wont do you any good.There has a recent wave of immaculate conceptions in my neigborhood.Thi I am sure will gladden the priests. All boys.

February 11, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • AcesFull

You're right, we should all be more like liberals and condemn Christians because they tend to vote from the right we are better off coddling Muslims because, after all, honor killings, beheadings and "convert or kill all infidels" are far lesser threats than birth control issues.

February 11, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • goddog

Aces, What does one crazy religion have to do with the other? You're all nuts of the same tree.

February 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • AcesFull

goddog, I don't belong to any religion, all organized religions have issues from my perspective, but to suggest that the Muslim faith is not far more threatening to the West than Christian faiths (as Liberals tend to do) is simply ignorant overboard political correctness.

February 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

mr. Ace! Its funny how you can see the threats from Muslim's religion. But you can't see the threats from your own religion! That makes you pious, and self righteous! Try think outside of your fantasies for a change! The key word being "change"!

February 11, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Eric G

@Aces: All religions share the same burden of proof. All have failed to satisfy that burden of proof, thus all claims made by all religions as to the abilities, actions or desires of their god or gods are irrelevant and dishonest.

It is not a question of who is more socially acceptable.

February 11, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
  8. HONESTLY!

It baffles me that the church (after being summoned of course.) Admitted what they had done. And their followers still flock to fill the church seats. What will it take for people to realize that religion as bad for everyone?

February 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm |
    • Bob from Pittsburgh

Religion prays on the weak, the people with no personality, people that can’t think for themselves, people with no personality, and the ones on top of these organizations are opportunistic taking advantage of the flock. I am a witness of that type of predatory behavior, I been around both types of people, and they disgust me.

February 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  9. migeli

Who needs to know anything about Catholicism.Perhaps a study of Aesops Fables or the Bible According To Grimmn "the brothers" would be more enlightening.You might even stsrt to think as a human.

February 11, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
  10. visitor

15 dollar a month copays versus a pregnancy, birth and child for up to 26 years. Let's do the math here....

February 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

That requires them to think logically. If the did that, they wouldn't be so closed minded and religious. instead they constantly wage war on logic, and common sense! I guess it's all about the money for them. And not truly about their worshipers.

February 11, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Manuel J.

IF... you were a real man you, and others like you, would take responsibility for fathering unplanned children. The fact is, you just want to wet your willy without taking responsibility. IF you, and the women like you, want to have a fornicating free-for-all, do us all a favor and spay and neuter yourselves!!

February 11, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Exactly what part of contraception do you not quite understand, honey? If contraception were used more often there would BE fewer 'unplanned pregnancies'.

Sheesh. Get a seeing eye dog.

February 11, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • visitor

Manuel, uh, yes planned pregnancies is the whole idea. And I'm married woman, and yet I still don't want 5 kids, Manuel. Especially yours. Maybe you and your wifey-poo do. I doubt you take very good care of them, macho man, considering how little you actually get what birth control is supposed to do, macho boy of the wet hotdog and the big brood.

February 11, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Joe - Wilmington, DE

Absolutely right! Further, where is The Vatican - an extraordinarily wealthy organization - when it comes to caring for and providing for all the unwanted and unloved children brought into the world by the ignorant or irresponsible? If the leadership of the Catholic church continues to insist upon anachronistic policies regarding reproductive rights, they need to step-up and take care of God's children as opposed to sanctioning the molestation of them! Ooh, that's a hot-button!

February 12, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  11. mike

The priests don't need contraception with little kids the covet

February 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

Right? No wonder they're so against contraception! Children dont get pregnant!

February 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  12. HONESTLY!

Its important that we teach our children that 2 2=4, and not 3, or 5, or purple!
    Help protect our children from the brain washings of religious organizations!
    Make so you have to be at least 18 to attend church!
    This will protect our children from the church leaders who have molested them in the past!
    Please protect our children!

February 11, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • Joe - Wilmington, DE

Not a bad idea!

February 12, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  13. Joe - Wilmington, DE

Here's one for you: a poll (an actual scientific poll of statistical significance - can't remember the name of it) I saw a few years ago had 70% of folks who called themselves Catholic registered as Democrats. Should they all be flushed out and excommunicated?

February 11, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • T McGuigan

Hell Yes.
      Darwin was right........these libs just don't get it. Thet're just lucky Mon didn't abort them!

February 11, 2012 at 6:38 pm |

T McGuiness!
      how About you take a poll! Then shove it up your azz!
      And live aren't that lucky, your mother didnt abort you!

But she probably tried to avoid having you, but the rhythm method isn't a very good measure of birth control!

February 11, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Joe - Wilmington, DE

Won't happen. If the Catholic Dems were flushed out and excommunicated the take ($$$) in the collection basket would be quite lean and much of the Catholic church is about $$$$$$$$$$$.

February 12, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  14. Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post by TC is an instance of the Poisoning the Well fallacy.

February 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  15. really?

Has anyone noticed when a bigot loses an argument, it changes its name.

February 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Michele

Or those who change their name to the supposed bigot's name and then posts under the supposed biggot's name? REALLY, when you realize that you're not as smart as you THINK you are, you'll finally become enlightened to life.

February 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • really?

My name has been the exact same thing since I've been on this blog! Yours however has not! Michelle if you have a legitimate opinion, we can discuss that. But im not gonna stoop to your childish games of hatred! This is an adult blog. Try to contain yourself as such!

GET OUT OF MY WOMB, AND SHUT THE DOOR!
      TAX ALL RELIGIOUS ORGINIZATIONS!

February 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, Michele, you sound a little pissy. What's the matter? Someone hit a nerve?

February 11, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
  16. Michele

Has anyone noticed that Really? Upright and Tom Tom tend to call people liars and think they know everything when they themselves are clueless? Funny how people have to resort to insults and ridicule when they don't have an intelligent argument left. Love all these folks like Tom Tom who supposedly are 50 and have a masters. Goes to show you just how much Higher Education educates us. Makes you more ignorant and stupid to every day life than anything.

February 11, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • really?

No one called you a liar that I remember! Just crazy is all! And with you constant delusional post, I think thats an accurate brand for you!

February 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
    • Michele

Yeah, you and your friends out there did. HOW DARE you question my credentials in the healh insurance industry. You don't know me from a hole in the wall. HOW DARE you spew all kinds of hate towards people's religious beliefs. I'm NOT religious, and I don't go to church. Right away you start throwing "my belief system" and how I support molestors in my face. This is once again what happens when people don't know what they're talking about. My views on the issue are from years of experience in this industry and have nothing to do with any type of religious beliefs. It's called REALISM...you're the delusional one here. What makes YOU an authority on how this new law is going to work and or affect anyone? Just exatly WHAT credentials do you hold? NONE! You want to see delusional???? Look in the mirror!

February 11, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • really?

Michelle! You've been spewing your wicked vile words to everyone in here! Like I've told you sooo many times before. If you get in and try to lie, you will be called out on it every single time. And yes I think when someone tells me they've been in the insurance industry for 20 years, and in another post you claimed you had your bachelors degree, and spend alot of time with phd scientist and they all believe in your religion! Yeah that would lead me to believe you are lying. But I've never called you a "liar" in a literal format! How dare me? Funny!

February 11, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by Michele contains instances of the ad hominem fallacy.

February 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • really?

You made the exact same post when you were "TC", and "bob", and "Jesus knows best" and all of the other names you use on this blog! I think I've counted up to 9 different name you've use! But what doesn't change is your IP address.

February 11, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And Michele buries itself under yet another layer of stupidity. Really, sweetie, when you're in a hole, it's best to stop digging. The fact that you are suspi cious of higher education is proof that any job you have in any field is at best low-level. With your personality, it's unlikely you've ever been promoted beyond the level of flunky.

February 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

You left me out and I work harder than any of them. For shame.

February 11, 2012 at 6:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not only do I have a Master's, but I am married to Ryan Gosling. I live in Beverly Hills and I am known for my gorgeous voice and beautiful toes. I bathe in whiskey every night and run marathons every other weekend.

See how that works. Just like Michele, I can be anyone I want on the internet.

February 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm |

• It's not enough to troll them. They have to know that they have been trolled.

February 11, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Um

What are your toes like, Tom Tom?

February 11, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

They are perfect little toes, and the nails are made of 14K gold.

February 11, 2012 at 6:26 pm |

• Be gentle. I could be in love with you.

February 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm |

Wow! Tom Tom!
      Michelle take a note!
      Tom Tom just showed you how to actually embellish!
      great job Tom tom's son! 😀

February 11, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Alas, Ryan is my only love.

At least until Michele's hubby gets a divorce.

February 11, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • visitor

No, to be a True Catholic means to have Lots of Children! MACHISMO!

February 11, 2012 at 8:13 pm |
  17. Donjuvi

President Obama has my family's Catholic Vote! Peace and justice is also a Catholic Value and God Knows no one has stood up for Peace and Justice like Barack Obama and his administration!

February 11, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • Joe - Wilmington, DE

I could not agree more!

February 11, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Lulu'sView

Ditto for my Catholic family!!!

February 11, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Manuel J.

I suspect you are not a practicing Catholic. How can you support someone who tolerates abortion AND encourage symbols of our faith to be covered so as not to be seen (i.e. during BO's Notre Dame tour)? I could go on and on but I'm certain it would do no good.

You may have been baptized Catholic but you certainly aren't Catholic.

February 11, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So, you want people to have as many children as possible? You think women should just be baby factories, Manuel? Guess what?

Women don't really care what you think, whether they're Catholic or not.

February 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • HONESTLY!

What would make them actual Catholics *Manuel? Do they need to molest a child? Would that suffice for you?

February 11, 2012 at 6:58 pm |

• Manuel J, why would anyone want to be a true Catholic then? You're stuck with trying to raise them up from infants. Have you noticed? That's not working.

February 11, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  18. marc

TC – you just made my point. Sort of how you have no facts to back up your religion, just just make them up as you go and say that this is how god thinks things should be. Religion plays onto the feeble minds of its followers who are easily manipulated by your perverse answers to the question, "why?" As society becomes more technologically and scientifically advanced, we continue time and time again to disprove religion. Remember, when man invented god, we believed the earth was flat, the sun and stars went around the earth, and we were the center of the universe. If you believe in god, you might was well still believe all that.

February 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • TC

Marc, I can tell your young but astute. You will see and learn as you go along if you keep an open mind to "why" on every subject. As a human being, we know very little with absolute certainty and the spiritual side is unique to each person. Just be careful with certainty becasue it leads to a lack of humility and a sense of self righteousness and it exists on both side of the faith equation

February 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • marc

Is 34 considered young to you? Perhaps it is. I'm just a middle class citizen, with a combined income with my wife of around 170K a year (she's a teacher with a masters and I'm an engineer for a multi-billion dollor LAR). We're both Jewish, but both athiest too. I feel everyone should have equal opertunity, and for religion to step in and take that away from its employees is like saying that it's ok for slavery so long as its in china and not our country. If you're running a business, you need to follow the rules like everyone else; I don't care if that business is affiliated with a religion, you're still a business making money and employing citizens who may not follow the same beliefs as your business organizers who cannot discriminate its employees based on religion, therefore, it must follow the same guildlines as anyone else.

February 11, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • marc

Also, i'll take being astute as a compliment.

February 11, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It would be a compliment if the idiot who wrote it actually knew when to use "you're" instead of "your".

February 11, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
  19. smitvict

The catholics have no problem with forcing us to get Obamacare, but when it comes to having something they don't want forced on them . . . OH WAIT, it is their "right" to refuse a government mandate.

February 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • really?

No its not! Sorry!
      People have the right to believe or follow a religion.
      Religions dont have the right to impose their beliefs on civilians!

February 11, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  20. TC

@really – I have to go but you need ot consider – why are you here? What do you really know about Catholicism much less any religion? What is your agenda, what are you trying to accomplish? Your purpose only seems to be that of one who just wants to irritate with a failed atheist agenda rather than approach interacting in a forum with some effort to learn or understand. Why are you here?

February 11, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • really?

I apparently know more about your religion than you do. Its a know fact that athiest are more knowledgeable on religious, than are the religious followers!
      Athiesm isn't a failed anything, athiest are growing in numbers at a fast rate!
      I have no agenda, except to make sure our liberties are not trampled on by religious wingnuts such as yourself!
      having said that! I have a question for you!
      Have you developed your thumbs yet?

February 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • TC

In this topic, no one is trampling on atheists. So why are you here?

February 11, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • really?

Its about civil liberties! Im a civilian! Expressing my point!
      You have so much faith in your sky daddy try and pray me away. See how that works!
      U see I can prove what you believe is nonsense. And you can't prove that what you believe isn't!

February 11, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

The root post by TC is an instance of the Poisoning the Well fallacy.

February 11, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why are YOU here, TC? What are YOU trying to accomplish, aside from making yourself look like a zealot?

February 11, 2012 at 6:37 pm |