home
RSS
Mixed Catholic reaction to revised White House contraception plan
New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, whom President Barack Obama called Friday morning.
February 10th, 2012

Mixed Catholic reaction to revised White House contraception plan

By Eric Marrapodi CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Washington (CNN) - As word trickled out of a White House compromise with Catholic groups on its rule around contraception coverage on Friday morning, administration officials took to the phones to sell the plan to religious leaders across the spectrum.

Catholic officials say President Obama called New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, President of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops, to explain the revised policy, which exempts religiously affiliated universities and hospitals for paying for no cost contraception for their employees but requires insurers to offer such coverage for for free to women who work at such institutions.

Dolan responded to the White House plan Friday afternoon in a statement saying the move was, "a first step in the right direction."

“While there may be an openness to respond to some of our concerns, we reserve judgment on the details until we have them," he added.

But other bishops were far more critical. "I think he's punting, just kicking the can down the road," Miami Archbishop Thomas Wenski told CNN. "He's hasn't really addressed our concerns.  I think the only thing to do is... to take back the whole thing."

After hanging up with Obama Friday morning, Dolan quickly organized a conference call with other bishops nationwide, according to a source briefed on the calls. It's yet to be seen how the Catholic Church will greet the revised White House policy, but some conservative religious voices say they're not satisfied.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Wenski said the Miami Archdiocese pays an insurance company to cover its 5,000 employees and argued that if the insurance company is paying for and providing contraceptives, as the new compromise lays out, the church would still be paying for it.

"They're missing the point when they say this is about contraception," he said. "This is about religious freedom.  It's a sham to say contraception aren't widely available in this country."

But some Catholic groups applauded the White House announcement. Sister Carol Keehan from the Catholic Health Association said she is"very pleased" with the White House.

"Folks were extremely grateful for this," said James Salt, who heads the progressive group Catholics United, which is close to the White House.

Salt was on a White House call to religious leaders Friday morning that was led by Joshua DuBios, director of Obama's Office of Faith-based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

"This is a solution that can be universally celebrated," Salt said. " There were groups on the call that have a very pro-choice world view and there was no dissent... We're putting out a full-throated endorsement of this."

Stephen Schneck, a professor from Catholic University who has advised the administration in the past, is also pleased with the new HHS policy.  "There was great enthusiasm on the call, a real sense of relief," he said, referring to the conference call with DuBois.

"I think [the administration] finally got it as a result of the fire storm...the religious liberty concerns, that's what turned the policy makers," he said.  "The level of solidarity with the bishops  in seeing this as a religious liberty issue is what I think turned the day."

In recent weeks, religious leaders loudly lobbied the White House on its plan to make religious institutions offer free contraception to employees through health insurance plans. Evangelicals and conservative Jews joined with Catholics in saying the policy was an intrusion of religious liberty.

"As long as the Obama portrayed this as a contraception issue they had a chance to win the pr battle," said Richard Land, head of public policy for the Southern Baptist Convention.  Despite the compromise, Land said the damage has been done.

"It'll be devastating with Catholics," he said, arguing that the president has "shown what he really believes."

The Becket Fund for Religious Liberty, which brought three lawsuits in federal court against the policy, denounced the White House change Friday as an “accounting gimmick.”

Becket said the new compromise doesn’t address the private religious groups and others who object the policy and still view the new policy as them paying for contraceptives, albeit through an insurer.

“Hundreds, if not thousands, of religious institutions are still left out in the cold and will be forced to violate their religious convictions,” said Hannah Smith, senior legal counsel for the Becket Fund, in a statement.

An administration official said the White House will convene meetings with religious leaders in coming days and that “this policy will be developed collaboratively so that the ultimate outcome works for religious employers, their workers and the public.”

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Belief • Bishops • Catholic Church • Church and state • Politics

soundoff (2,082 Responses)
  1. poopooh!

ieastgod, as a large religious organization, you’re called an athiest! I guess I am an athFebruary 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Nice stats Tom Tom! I really could have used your help earlier. Lol I was getting to emotional, and being hateful! Im usually not like that but this guy blog! Its very verv racking! To say the
    ieastgod, as a large religious organization, you’re called an athiest! I guess I am an me boiling over with anger! Yesterday was the first time I’ve commented on any blog! Its very verv racking! To

February 12, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  2. poopooh!

funny how if you dont believe in the same god, as a large religious organization, you’re called an athiest! I guess I am an athFebruary 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Nice stats Tom Tom! I really could have used your help earlier. Lol I was getting to emotional, and being hateful! Im usually not like that but this guy had me boiling over with anger! Yesterday was the first time I’ve commented on any blog! Its very verv racking! To say the

February 12, 2012 at 10:48 am |

Exciting!

February 12, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  5. poopooh!

poopooh!

February 12, 2012 at 10:38 am |
  6. really?

Its funny how if you dont believe in the same god, as a large religious organization, you’re called an athiest! I guess I am an athieast as in I dont believe in their simple minded deities. I think im apart of something great, and something of insignificance at the same time. I am part of alpha and omega! Of everything, including nothing! When I die, my body will break down to dust just as everyone else’s does. I will have to relinquish control of my body, and be apart of something much bigger, the planet earth. My body may become part of a tree or flower, or part of an insect that devours my flesh. At anyway, I will go on. Not in human form as I will not be needed for that purpose any longer. However I will be needed in some fashion forever! Cuz I am apart of everything, and nothing!

February 12, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  7. Redrum

I blame poverty on Republicans. They just don't care about the 99% of us who are struggling to get by. But Obama cares!

February 12, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Brad

Of course the 99% are currently struggling under the Obama Administration, but, be that as it may, we'll do far better under Obama than under any of the alternatives. We can't sit down and say "Obama will fix it". It is up to us to hold the 1% accountable in every way we can.

February 12, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • really?

99% of us are struggling because of the residual, crisis that G.W. Bush left us! Under Obama, thats have actually improved quite substantially!

February 12, 2012 at 10:29 am |
  8. migeli

The subject should be "Tax the wealthy as the were before."They don't create anything except bank accounts and jobs in other countries with their extra money.They are buying a yacht for junior just like daddy' s while we argue about religion and contraception.Diversionary tactics!The only thing Santorum,Gingrich,and Romney have showed me they can do is change the subject, ignring the guestions and/or the facts.I read a few books years ago about brain washing and propoganda and these guys are masters of deceit.Masters is too complimentary though since they are dealing with mostly reneck bible indoctrinated nit-wits.People may mean well for this country but they need to wake up to the fact that they do things against their own interests in the name of conservatism. Throw out the Tea-bag traitors and religious fanatic, they only serve the rich and the corporate thieves who are robbing us daily. Obama 4 more years.Tax the rich.Too much money in the hands of a few!

February 12, 2012 at 1:03 am |

Right!
      TAX THE "HELL" OUT OF CHURCHES AND RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATIONS!

February 12, 2012 at 1:17 am |
  9. migeli

It took Catholic bishops 5 minutes to denounce Obamas contraception compromise but it took 2000 years to denounce child abusing priests.I know there are probably many people of faith who mean well,priests,rabbis,imans,whatever included.Too bad you have all been deluded by a lot of nonsense,programmed from birth,but please stay out of everyones business and just mind your own.Obama. 4 more years!

February 12, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  10. migeli

I think it all started with thunder and lightning.oh,Oh! He's really mad up there. I just killed a cow and it's Friday.No more meat on Friday.Maybe Friday should be a holy day.Maybe I should make cows sacred.Or maybe I should build a Temple instead o killing cows every Friday.Holy Cow I must be getting tired.

February 12, 2012 at 12:21 am |

Lmao!

February 12, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • really?

Thats Sounds like your joking, but your exactly right. When they didnt understand something they thought it was god! My comment earlier was referring more to how we got to the single god.
      Wow! I must be getting tired too. Lol

February 12, 2012 at 12:29 am |
    • really?

I am tired! I meant "you're" yikes! I figured I'd correct myself before the grammer slammer did.

February 12, 2012 at 12:32 am |
  11. really?

Before we had laws, we created religions! And we did that to give people moral guidance. And to make them feel guilty if they stole property from the rich, or slept with their wives and concubines. and suddenly there were so many different religions, people believed in different gods, some believed in Zeus, others believed in zephyr. And there were many many of these gods. But when it came time for war, it was difficult to get these different groups to unite. So ultimately it was decided we can create a single god and make it easier to get everyone to unite for battle reasons. Immediately all other gods were disposed of, and called pagan gods. And it was considered blasphemy to worship them any longer. Intact if you were caught, your were killed.

February 12, 2012 at 12:04 am |
  12. migeli

Some of these right -wing bible thumpers are reason enough for stuff being flushed down the drain encased in a contraceptive device.They have no compassion for the poor,sick,elderly and unemployed.They have no idea of what Jesus was talking about.Jesus, Mohammed,Buddha and others like them were all socialists.Religion is supposd to be all about loving your neighbor I hope not a bunch of Man made rules to serve the very men who made them.Religion is convenient for those who want to run everyone elses life.

February 11, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  13. migeli

When I was a boy I was made to go to confession at Catholic church.Do they still make you do this?I believe now that was a forced invasion of the privacy of a young child.While it never happened to me now we learn that ofte liable to grab your privates after this invasion of privacy..If this confession business is not illegal for those under 18, it should be.Its a pretty stupid practice anyway at any age.I don't think it had anything to do with the thinking of Jesus.Priests just trying to get in everyones business.

February 11, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • really?

I dont think they make you do it! But during communion the priest would ask, if you needed repentance, and highly recommend confession sessions. to teenagers. Adults had free will, and were as encouraged as much as teenagers were.

February 11, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • really?

Let me rephrase that! Teenagers are encouraged to repent, and confess. Adults pretty much did confession when they felt like it.

February 11, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • really?

And at during your 1st communion it was required. Its a humiliating experience, they do what they can to make you feel awful about yourself.

February 11, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  14. really?

Its sad really, how you come in here and initially act like you want to have a legitimate conversation. And then the to insults of hatred and discontent.
    Telling people to leave the country. Asking why we all can live by your rules. but you dont want a compromise. Is your way and all others are just not American! And should be killed. Honestly I think you have severe anger issues, and I truly wish you would get some mental help. Im sincerely concerned about your well being. Is there anything you would like to talk about off topic? Would you like me to listen and not reply. Seriously, if you need to vent, I'll let you do that. And I won't be hateful or rude. As long your being honest.

February 11, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  15. really?

Alright, if you want to have a serious conversation.
    Families have really been devastated. However things are harder on them these days because financially things are tight. Requiring both parents to work, and leaving kids to fin for themselves, often having to prepare their own meals. Not having a parent there to help them with homework, or social issues. So yes, I think it's definitely tougher on families these days.

As far as teen pregnancies. I think if people werent so afraid of teaching their children about reproduction, and how to protect themselves from s*t*d's and preg*nancy. Im not saying you should just tell them "dont do it until youre married" that isn't the answer. But if the develops an open honest discussion with their children, we can cut teen preg*nancy rate way down

February 11, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • n22s

Apparently my earlier post was lost. This country has gone through severe financial distress at other times forcing dislocation of one or both parents, the need for both parents to work, etc. without the social upheaval. I could make a similar point that high taxation forces the need for two income households as much as anything else. And I'm not speaking of simply federal taxes.

And the lack of discussion between parents about reproduction is not a recent phenomenon. It has never been a subject easily discussed between parent and child. Do you honestly believe honest and frank discussions were held up until the '50's and then were not discussed until recently? If we have never had honest discussions in the history of our country could the spike in out of wedlock pregnancies be caused by something else? Is it possible?

February 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • really?

I think yesteryear will always seem like a better time. But in reality the 50's weren't so great either. Slavery was still a big issue, women's suffrage still hadn't happened. The 50's and decades before and after were even more tumultuous than now! I guess if you were a white rich guy things were great. Your wife had to obey your every order. If you were wealthy enough black women cleaned your house, cooked your meals, and raised your children. And gay people were persecuted on a daily basis. So for black folk, for women, for gays, and many other groups the 50's were somewhat of a nightmare! I guess for some hindsight isn't 20/20 at all.

February 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
  16. Prayer changes things

Prayer works miracles,
    Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

February 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • really?

Church isn't Healy for children either. At least athiesm will protect them from your churches pedophiles!

February 11, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • just wondering

Really? Healy? What is Healy?

February 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • An inconvenient truth

Atheists have abused and killed more people, children included than any other type of person in the history of the world.

February 11, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • really?

Nope! Sure haven't! Your wrong again Michelle!

February 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  17. AGuest9

Of course it's going to be a mixed reaction. Show me your "standard American catholic". No such animal exists!

February 11, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  18. mister mister!

Just admit that youre racist, and having a black man for PRESIDENT makes your skin crawl! And you would say, or do anything you could to get him out of office!
    Just be honest! Thats all!

February 11, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • AGuest9

That's a BIG problem with the situation in this country!

February 11, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • n22s

Really. Criticism of the president on this subject suggests racism? Put forward a defense of such a statement. How can you, sitting in front of a computer be the arbiter on the vailidity of a criticism and whether it is based solely upon the melanin level of the president?

Your simplistic post implies one of two things; first, that any criticism of the president is based upon the color of skin. Or, that criticism of the president on this subject is based solely upon his color and that other criticism of other subjects, regardless of the validity of the argument(s) are not racist.

Regarding the first, how can every criticism of the president be racist? If that is possible I daresay the burden of proof relies upon you. Because it implies that no criticism of him is valid because they all are based upon race. Ridiculous but I wait your well thought out argument.

Concerning the second, what about this issue makes criticism of him racist based upon the merits of arguments pro and con? I fail to see birth control as a racial issue (unless of course you know the history of the racist and Hitler loving Margaret Sanger but I digress). Perhaps you could enlighten us all on how criticisms of this policy are based upon race. Please. After all you are a liberal and far more intelligent than am I.

February 11, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  19. n22s

Yes, this is all about access isn't it? After all it isn't like poor women in this country can go to their local health departments and receive free birth control. Wait. They can. And it isn't as though it only costs $10 a month for the pill at Target or Kmart or Walmart pharmacies. Wait. That is what they charge regardless of insurance. Which begs the question as to why PP charges $15-$50 per month. Greed? More greed than the big chain stores?

Geez people, it took me five minutes to find PP's price, the big chain store's price and find a site that directs me to free health services by zip code.

But this is ALL about access and not to try to drive naive liberal base voters to the president. Nahhhh, couldn't be that. I will forever get a kick out of those who believe that everything Bush ever did was a lie or evil or whatever nefarious reason but not this president. This great one would never, ever, play politics. Why, he would never lie. The truth is you'll believe anything that comes out of this man's mouth. Anything. But oh. You are the intelligent ones. What jokes.

February 11, 2012 at 8:44 pm |

Right!
      Don't you forget it!

February 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm |
    • n22s

Example 1

February 11, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
    • really?

We are not talking about poor people! We are talking about working class Americans! You see you have to have a job to be provided with employer insurance benefits!
      But sinse they may not be catholic you'd rather send them to a free clinic to get what everyone else gets from their doctor!
      And I dont remember any conversation of G.W. BUSH coming up! We can talk about that if you want to be civil, but thats entirely up to you.

February 11, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • n22s

Really? Working class women can't afford $10 a month? What planet are you living on? And my post was was not meant as a defense of Bush but rather a derisive response to liberals who are so quick to believe Obama because he has a D next to his name. You don't understand the meaning of my posit yet believe you have the reading comprehension skills required to adequately think critically regarding the statements and policies of the current president? Ooooh, sorry, critical thinking does not mean you end up disagreeing or agreeing with statements you dissect. I realize that, in and of itself, is a difficult concept but please, try and keep up.

February 11, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • really?

There you go again being condescending! I never said working class women can't afford a $10 pill! What I said is that they should be able to get what ever form of contraception suits them. Be it a $10 pill or something else. At any rate its up to the individual, and not the church! Can you grasp my concept, or are my words wasted on your closed right wingnut conservative mind?

February 11, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • n22s

Really? Condescending? I thought, according to you, all conservatives are knuckle dragging troglodytes? (There I go with polysyllabic words).

Really? How can one condescend to one's superior? Your superior liberal mind should make that an impossibility. Perhaps you should actively seek out someone who has an opinion that differs with yours and possesses the skill set required to properly make an argument. You might learn something. And if you can't understand half the words he or she is using and find it difficult to spell words such as healthy, perhaps you should crack open a book instead of simply regurgitating the pablum that is dispensed to you by those who give you a false sense of liberal superiority.

February 11, 2012 at 9:29 pm |

Really n22s?
      You are a sick freak! In here defending your pedophile comrades! You and you sick and twisted child raping church, make me sick! Just keep your sick mind away from children, you pervert! You make me sick!

February 11, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • n22s

Alright, I can't resist. That is the best the superior liberal mind can come up with as a reasoned argument for forcing the Catholic Church to pay for contraception coverage. "You are a sick freak!" I bow to your superior mind. Typical liberal, resort to insults when your lack of logic is exposed.

February 11, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • really?

And while we're doing spell check! It's "pabulum" not pablum you moron. And opinions don't differ with, they differ from! You retard. So pick up your knuckles and put down your thesaurus until you learn to use it accurately! Got it!
      and stay away from kids, you perv supporter!

February 11, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • really?

Is that the best I can come up with? No its a description of you in its simplest terms!
      You act like you want to have a legitimate conversation, but all you do is insult those that dont agree with you!so you come in here and spew your vile insults, and expect to not have them thrown back at ya. And with the truth hits you back you can't take it! So I guess it's about time for you to change your name back to Michelle and pretend you're a woman again. you cyber drag queen!

February 11, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • n22s

Again, I bow to genius. "Retard" My dear friend, parents of the disabled consider that to be a very, very insulting word. The level of discourse has descended to a level that is beneath people with common decency.

My brother has a child that is severely mentally disabled and if you saw the tears he has shed over more than one cry of "retard" towards his son you would not casually throw such a word around. I am not going to flag your post because I don't believe rude behavior should be censored. However, it should stand as a counterpoint to anyone who believes liberals to be of greater moral fiber than are conservatives.

Your post is far more illuminates the depravity of your belief system far better than anything I could post.

February 11, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • n22s

And yes, I made a grammatical error in my last post. I bow to your superior mind.

February 11, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • really?

You dont have to bow to me. I wouldn't correct your grammar until you were pretending that you were impervious to mistakes.
      Again I didnt come in here to insult any one. But im not gonna let you insult me and get away with it.

February 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • n22s

Friend, that doesn't excuse your offensive language regarding the mentally challenged or those dealing with gender issues.

I am not above making errors as you so kindly pointed out. However, my problem is with those who buy into the belief that being a liberal somehow makes you my intellectual or moral superior.

The following is not insult if you believe your posts have been logical and to the point. Your posts speak for themselves as to your intellectual and moral superiority.

If you regard that as an insult, why?

February 11, 2012 at 10:30 pm |

Alright! Here goes it!
      No I do not believe I am superior to anyone. Just because my opinion may differ from yours. And I dont think anyone's political stance makes them more superior either. As far as the word "retard" yes I probably should chose a different word to get my point across. But remember, you are guilty of this too, when you say libtard, as you have. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig! (from the 2004 election.lol) but it makes my point.
      And as far as intellectually thinking im superior, no I dont believe that either. However I am somewhat educated.
      You would be surprised of my views I think the words liberal or Democrat do not explain my point of views. At all. But if you'd like to know what they are just ask.

February 11, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • really?

Yeah he also corrected my grammar for typing "Healy" instead of "healthy". Then called me superior when i in turn corrected him on pabulum which he spelled pablum, in the very paragraph he was correcting my grammar in. Geez!

February 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Editor

You ended that sentence with a preposition.

February 12, 2012 at 9:17 am |

@really?
      that guys is insane, he makes ridiculous claims, and puts up outrageous statistics. None of which are true! Thats what's wrong with these Republicans.
      When they have no other argument left they result to name calling. "editor" no-one in here is writing a book. And its perfecly ok, to end a sentence with a sentence with a preposition! You can change your name a million times, but your ignorance always shines through. here's another sentence that is perfectly crafted, literally acceptable. And will end with a preposition, Are you ready for it? shut the "f" up!

February 12, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  20. Delta

I say make abortifacients FREE in schools. Keep them in vending machines right next to the nurses office/abortion clinic! You will see the moral fabric of our country soar. Hey! It's scientific and legal!!!

February 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm |

Delta!
      do you always have to go from one extreme to the other?
      I bet youre sitting there swimming in your tears, cuz not everyone believes as you do!
      the united states is a pluralistic country. Which means we can all live together, we just have to compromise. You can't have everything your way so quit your whining!

February 11, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • n22s

really? You're right. High moral standards have shot through the roof in the last 50 years. I realize the hazard of using polysyllabic words in the presence of common illiterate liberals (oxymoron, I know). However, I do understand that correlation is not causation. However, with the advent of birth control, why are teen pregnancies up? Why has the family unit been so devestated?

Again, correlation is not causation. However, lets not pretend that payment for birth control is some panacea that will suddenly cause a reduction in teen pregnancies, crime and poverty. And with the cost of birth control to uninsured women being so low as evidenced by my post above, what is the real agenda of this policy?

February 11, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

News flash, n22s. Teen pregnancies are DOWN. Take a look at the Health section right here on CNN. Oh, and you might want to watch your pride in using those polysyllabic words. It's spelled "devastated".

February 11, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Teen pregnancy rates hit 40 year low
      Fewer teens are getting pregnant now, than at any point in the last 40 years, says a new report.

Researchers at the Guttmacher Insti tute, a s3xual and reproductive health think tank, say the pregnancy rate among teens is down 42%, from 116.9 pregnancies per 1,000 women in 1990, to 67.8 pregnancies per 1,000 women in 2008. This means about 7% of young women between the ages of 15 to 19 became pregnant in the United States in 2008.

February 11, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • really?

Nice stats Tom Tom! I really could have used your help earlier. Lol I was getting to emotional, and being hateful! Im usually not like that but this guy had me boiling over with anger! Yesterday was the first time I've commented on any blog! Its very verv racking! To say the least!

February 11, 2012 at 11:19 pm |