home
RSS
My Take: Why I’m a Catholic for contraception
February 10th, 2012

My Take: Why I’m a Catholic for contraception

Editor's Note: Karalen L. Morthole is a senior majoring in political science at Catholic University of America.

By Karalen L. Morthole, Special to CNN

I have been a Catholic my whole life. Baptized as a baby and confirmed in the seventh grade, I attended weekly catechism classes and received a Jesuit education. Never once did the opinion of the church on a person's use of contraceptives surface.

In high school, I was prescribed birth control to balance my hormones. I suffered from terrible mood swings that had negative effects on my relationship with my family and got me into trouble with teachers. I also experienced menstrual cramps so painful as to be debilitating; sometimes, they left me unable to move.

My mother, a devout Catholic, had no problem with my taking birth control, because she recognized the dramatic effects this simple medication had on my life. Birth control gave me a new, healthy and balanced way to live. As a 22-year-old woman, I am able to think more rationally because of birth control.

Teachers at the Jesuit high school I attended urged students to protect themselves when they became sexually active, to use condoms to stamp out the risk of contracting a viral sexually transmitted disease that would affect the rest of their lives. Some would criticize my teachers for that, but I thank them. My peers and I were taught by caring and realistic teachers with experience making decisions to promote their own health. Some had seen the horrors of sexually transmitted diseases.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Birth control, condoms and emergency contraception have all served their purpose in my life, because each work in different preventative ways. Birth control has aided my mental health, giving me a clearer head; condoms have protected me from contracting diseases from sexual partners. Emergency contraceptives were there when I was uncertain about whether I’d become pregnant and needed reassurance. I’m not ready to raise a child on my own.

Even though the official Catholic Church teaches against contraceptives, I do not feel immoral using them. They’ve allowed me to live my life without the fear of unwanted pregnancies or deadly diseases.

My religion has played a large part of my life, laying the groundwork for my personal relationship with God. It has taught me how to respect others, be a human with integrity and help those in need. Catholicism is a beautiful religion that supports family values and tolerance of others and leads us to serve others, a teaching I’ve adapted into my everyday living. The Catholic Church does an exceptional job standing up for those who live in poverty and suffer injustices.

But on contraception, the Catholic bishops have taken a stance that violates the basic rights that affect millions of Catholics across the country and shows a lack of concern for women's health.

It is disheartening that the Catholic bishops were so opposed to the Obama administration's decision to require religious institutions like hospitals and colleges to provide their faculty, staff and students with access to reproductive health care, which includes birth control, emergency contraceptives and condoms. Even after the White House announced a revised policy Friday that exempts religious institutions from having to pay for the contraception coverage, at least one bishop voiced disgust. The U.S. bishops said in a statement Friday that it's "too soon to tell whether and how much improvement (there's been) on core concerns."

The bishops have gone so far as to threaten to cease health care coverage to the faculty and staff at my college if it’s forced to comply with the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even though the church will not support women's health needs and denies them opportunities to care for their physical and mental health, it does apparently condone other uses for condoms. In 2010, Pope Benedict XVI endorsed the use of condoms for male prostitutes, saying condoms “can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility,” and could help “in the intention of reducing the risk of infection.”

In my view, any sexual activity that spreads deadly diseases is sinful because it shows complete disregard for human health and human life. The Catholic Church believes that condoms negatively impact the sexual lives of men and women, preventing reproduction and the creation of life.

I believe that condoms are, in fact, pro-life. They help women and men act responsibly in regards to the spread of HIV/AIDS. Condoms also prevent unintended pregnancies that could result in abortions, another issue that the Catholic Church has strong views about.

As a Catholic, I stand with President Obama's decision to require religious institutions to provide access to contraceptives. I believe that birth control can be used by religious people without having a negative effect on someone’s faith. Catholics value human life. I believe that includes acknowledging the rights of women to take care of our bodies.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Karalen L. Morthole.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,826 Responses)
  1. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Jennifer

Prayer changes things..........

BULLL SH**!!!!!!!!

i dare you to jump from a plane and pray to grow wings...see how fast you decide that prayer doesnt change a thing

February 10, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
    • ...

please just hit 'report abuse' to get rid of this spammer.

February 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Nope

~The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs."""""`

February 10, 2012 at 5:21 pm |

nope

February 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

February 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • Seriously?

"Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things"

Actually I think the church has proven religion is it's not healthy for children with all the molestations that have happened.

February 10, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • pervert alert

The most dangerous place for children is not the church and never has been , not schools either. More children are abused at home by trusted relatives and neighbors. It is a crime that a few perverted qu eers snuck into the church with evil intent, but they have been proven like all other ho mo se xuals to be the extreme minority.

February 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Halo of Flies

@alert

Pedophilia is defined as a psychiatric disorder in adults or late adolescents typically characterized by a primary or exclusive s.e.xual interest in prepubescent children (generally age 13 years or younger, though onset of puberty may vary). The child must be at least five years younger than the adolescent (16 or older) to be termed pedophilia

How are you getting this confused with h o m o s e x uals?

February 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • GodPot

@alert –

"A number of anonymous studies have suggested a prevalence of h o mos e x ual leanings in the Roman Catholic priesthood. Studies by Wolf and Sipe from the early 1990s suggest that the percentage of priests in the Catholic Church who admitted to being gay or were in h o mos e x ual relationships was well above the national average for the United States of America. Elizabeth Stuart, a former convener of the Catholic Caucus of the Lesbian and Gay Christian movement claimed "It has been estimated that at least 33% of all priests in the RC Church in the United States are h o mos e x ual." – Wiki

"The total number of priests with allegations of abuse in our survey is 4,392. The percentage of all priests with allegations of s e x ual abuse is difficult to derive because there is no definitive number of priests who were active between the years of 1950 and 2002. We used two sets of numbers to estimate the total number of active priests and then calculated the percentage against whom allegations were made.

"We asked each diocese, eparchy and commun i t y for their total number of active priests in this time period. Adding up all their responses, there were 109,694 priests reported by dioceses, eparchies and religious commun i t ies to have served in their ecclesiastical ministry from 1950-2002. Using this number, 4.0% of all priests active between 1950 and 2002 had allegations of abuse." – Research Study Conducted by the John Jay College of Criminal Justice

So roughly 30% of the priests are gay and 4% have been accused of abuse. Even the numbers in the Church prove you are a moron if you think being gay = p e d o phile.

February 10, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Ronnie Harper

If prayer changes things, how come an amputee has never regenerated a limb? There is research and empirical evidence to refute your absurd claim.

February 11, 2012 at 3:54 am |
    • Schix

Yeah right, try praying for the 15,000 children who starve every day, or and the millions dying in wars, or natural disasters. Prayer only changes your perception of reality and creates a fantasy world for you to escape from the truth.

February 11, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • Jesus

Praying to an INVISIBLE and IMAGINARY all seeing, all knowing friend in the sky seems quite idiotic to me. You apparently don't want reality in your life--that's clear to me. It's OK for you to live a delusional life. That's your choice. However, you do not have the right to inflict your delusion or any part of it on my life!

February 11, 2012 at 10:45 am |
    • Malgus

Dear Author, I will use a condom....wanna do it?

February 11, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • M. DaSilva

I don't believe atheists exist. They all know He's there.

February 11, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  2. John, Florissant, Mo.

Many people do not realize that commonly used forms of “birth control” or “contraception” can cause an abortion. If your intent is to take contraception for other than "birth control", then I doubt the Church would find fault though I would assume your intent would be as a single woman to practice abstinence. Why? Your intention should be to love all life and be open to all life. Remember, St Paul warns us in (Ephesians Ch 6: 12) "For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places." Imagine that you are standing in front of the Lord and your are explaining your actions in this regard. To be perfect as your heavenly Father is perfect takes courage. We are talking about eternal salvation. We are talking about 2,000 years of prayer, Masses, study – not 4 years of a presidency.

February 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Contraception does not cause abortion. Period. End of discussion.

February 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • Phillip Campbell

Tom, Tom it says it in on the label that the primary method of the pill is to halt ovulation, but if breakthrough ovulation should occur and an egg gets fertilized, it makes the walls of the uterus impossible for implantation. Thus, the fertilized egg gets cycled out. The pill IS occasionally an aboritfacient.

February 11, 2012 at 3:51 am |
    • Jadugara

Yeah,..but, Phillip Campbell, you're forgetting about the fact that,...no one cares... And what I mean by that is, according to a Reuters poll, 98% of all self-proclaimed Catholic women use contaceptives for one reason or another, and 52% of ALL Catholics in America, both male and female, apparently consider this recent legislation a good move on Obama's part... So basically, most Catholic women, and nearly 5% of Catholic men don't care what you think, and pretty much everyone else doesn't care what you think either.... Good luck tooting your zealot horn...

February 11, 2012 at 4:59 am |
    • joewilson

very good citizen. continue reading from your magic book. and remember, don't ever let anyone place doubt about god in your heart. mental autonomy is a dangerous thing for simpletons as yourself.

and we wouldn't want that. 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 6:21 am |
    • dinabq

Falling down the stairs can cause an abortion too. Should we outlaw stairs too.

February 11, 2012 at 6:28 am |
  3. PrimeNumber

I also love the Catholic Church. I have raised four children from infancy to adulthood. They are all very good people (but they already had it in them). They are at least 3.5 years apart. My wife and I used Natural Family Planning. Intercourse typically happens after the brain has stopped functioning temporarily. Use of natural family planning requires self discipline, and keeping your thinking intact. No wonder Catholics are out of step with this culture.

February 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • Hypocrite much?

Thanks for that smug and pompous remark. You're luckly – NFP is not foolproof. You can be as disciplined as you want, but biology doesn't always follow a strict set of rules. But congratulations on feeling better than others.

February 10, 2012 at 5:00 pm |
    • chief

you said " Intercourse typically happens after the brain has stopped functioning temporarily." this sounds like sandusky or priest defense

February 10, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Jennifer

Intercourse typcially occurs after the brain stops functioning temporarily?? you mean she is unconcious throughout the whole thing? wow dude, you got issues if you have to wait for her to be passed out...utter nonsense

and ya...not everyone is so lucky as to have a 'perfectly' functioning reproductive system so they can use that 'wonderful' method...

asinine religion..

February 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • joewilson

very good, citizen.

continue to produce more simpletons and feed them delusions about sky men and fire pits. they will serve high society well as pawns for the upper humans.

god be with you, and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

February 11, 2012 at 6:24 am |
    • Jesus

Morthole?? What a depressing surname! If I were her, changing my last name would be job #1. Then taking contraceptive devices would be right up there as #2. Job #3 would be demanding that the Catholic Chruch liquidate and pay victims of their abuse over the past decades along with compensating impoverished masses in poor countries.

February 11, 2012 at 10:55 am |
  4. Jennifer

@momofthree

judgmental hags like you are why people hate religion.

and @stephanie

you missed all the points about bc being used to treat hormone disorders...and NO not all "natural' thereapy BS works! I have Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (i suggest you google it) and nothing short of BC pills would help me. in fact without the BC pills I had NO PERIOD EVER!!!!! extreme risk for uterine cancer. get with teh 21st centrey like the rest of us and stop trying to play doctor...you arent one!!

its no dang wonder ppl hate you guys...

February 10, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
    • chief

you think that if they had the power, there own version of catholic sharia law might me inforced..... they would love the non catholics to death

February 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Jennifer

yes chief it would be if they had thier way...and they are trying thier dangest to get it that way. and all because some old codger deemed it wrong. its all a ploy to control ppl, particularly women, and keep them in firm control over everyone. truly no better than the middle east countries and thier asinine viewpoints.

February 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Roman

Learn how to spell. I before e except after c.

February 11, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Jennifer

@Roman

roflm@o if all you have to say is 'learn how to spell' it just means that you have no other valid argument to attack me with and therefore resorted to the only thing you could. moron.

February 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm |
  5. JB

The Catholic Hospitals received payment/reimbursement from Medicare and Medicaid from states and the federal government. Are they willing to stop receiving money from the government?

February 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • 1Mark

This is one reason government should be as small as possible and not involved in socialized medicine. They take taxes and then expect you to be grateful when they give a small part of your money back. Furthermore they use that money to force their liberal, atheistic, immoral religion on everyone else.

February 29, 2012 at 1:43 am |
  6. Gerald

Karalen,

Evidently you think that whoring around campus and having pre marital s e x with many partners is okay too from your words. Man is there anything the Church teaches that you actually agree with?

February 10, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • My xtianity is better than your xtianity

Someone clearly hasn't gotten any in a while. Why all the sexual hangups there, gerry? Were you around too many preists as a kid

February 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • chief

re gerald .... your pompas dress wearing theotard mindset doesnt go unnoticed.... your an abomination to take cheap shots a girl just because she has chosen to use her brain and not the brain of a man wearing a dress

February 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Hypocrite much?

Do you stand outside your church reminding everyone who's been remarried and not had their original marriage annulled that they are living in sin?

What a sad life you must have.

February 10, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • chief

her gerald ... you assume the girl thinks that people like her are "whoring " around campus...... i think people like you are hanging around playgrounds to ......... well you know

February 10, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • J.W

You should not judge her for having premarital relations. Many men probably are attracted to her.

February 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • ggm

Lets not forget, that 2000 years ago, people married at the age of 14 or 15. Today, it is more like 25 to 30. I was raised catholic, but really, lets get with the times people. One can be moral and s e xually active. I have two girls, I encourage them to abstain from s e x. But it is not my expectation that they will be virgins when they marry. In fact, I would not wish that on them.

February 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • gerald

And the simpletons come out of the woodwork.

February 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Confused she is the catholic spokes person.

my thoughts exactly. I think they could have found a better role model for Catholics. I also like how she state "what she believes condoms are" . Good thing she is smarter than the pope and oh yeah Jesus. That is called heresy. If you are catholic, you better repent for this one.

February 28, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  7. Gerald

Karalen,

You have made a lie the truth and the truth a lie. You are Catholic in name only. CINO. Please refrain from taking the Eucharist. Paul says you must in 1 Cor 11. Read it. You are guilty of crucifying Jesus by your sacraligous acts.

February 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Stevie7

Way to throw that first stone, Gerald. Very Jesus-like of you.

Do you enjoy being so smug and feeling superior to others?

February 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • J.W

Oh you are talking about 1 Cor 11 "Thou must refrain from taking the Eucharist if thou hast taken contraceptives, even if for reasons other than birth control." Yeah she better stop calling herself a Catholic.

February 10, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • chief

re gerald .... your a brainwashed pedaphile protector for the church..... this was one of the best articles from a catcholic perspective..... who the hell are you tell someone to not take the eucharist... your authority ends with your being an accomplice to the crimes priests have commited by your indifference

February 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • *facepalm*

While she's busy reading 1 Cor, you better reminder her that she needs to keep her unworthy female trap shut while in church.

Or maybe it's time to get rid of your misogynistic, out-dated dogma.

February 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by Gerald is an instance of the No True Scotsmen fallacy.

February 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • joewilson

very good gerald.

continue to act as a good citizen and educate yourself on any changes we make in your propaganda. remember to stay subservient to your sky man, and to call nonsense towards those that attempt to reason with you otherwise.

you have your special place among the lower humans. continue to submit to your magic book and follow the rules as written. do not stray from what it says. otherwise, your sky man will punish you for the slightest infraction.

remember, you are the chosen ones. carry on.

February 11, 2012 at 6:29 am |
    • Jesus

Gerald, you'd fit right in with the present theocratic thinking in Iran. The "my way or the highway to an early death" appears to be a part of your dogma. Catholicism has a long and checkered history (READ ABOUT IT). Different thoughts in applying the doctrine exists. I suggest that you show tolerance toward Catholics that do not share your own views as well as toward non-Catholics..

February 11, 2012 at 11:01 am |
  8. Stevie7

I love that the Church wants to perform their confirmation ritual when their followers are only about 13 – gotta hook 'em early before they really start to question the whole 'drinking blood' thing.

February 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • joewilson

well, it's red.

so that should placate the majority of them.

please do not question the beliefs of the simpletons in front of them. we wouldn't want them to question anything and gain autonomy.

+++for all of the lower non-autonomous humans subservient to the sky god.+++
      disregard the above message. failure to do so will result in eternal life in a fire pit. carry on as normal and stay to what is written in your magic book.

February 11, 2012 at 6:33 am |
  9. warmesTghosT

Ah the Church...being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st Century.

Personally I'd have been perfectly happy to see them left in the Dark Ages, where the superst-itious garbage they spew belongs.

We are men, not sheep. Time to stop following the shepherd and getting fleeced.

February 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  10. Kimberly

February 10, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Jesus

After I read this, I too was lost for words. How can the Church take public money and insist on inflicting their dogma on employees who may not be Catholic or Catholics who share a particular version of Catholicsim?

February 11, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  11. momofthree

I am so sorry that you as a Catholic woman took emergency contraception. Do you realize you might have aborted a child? Also, it seems that you consider yourself Catholic but do not adhere to the Catholic doctrines on many things, namely, fornication, contraception, abortion etc. So, how are you Catholic? If you take the Eucharist and have not gone to confession to confess these things with an understanding of how what you did was wrong (as you elaborate here), you are in grave error. I am actually very confused that you could be so confused attending Catholic University.

February 10, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
    • *facepalm*

If you want to limit those who get in your club to those follow every single rule, I think you'll find the club house to be extremely empty. Though it's amusing to see Catholics fight among themselves.

In you're interested in actually getting a clue, try googling 'No True Scotsman Fallacy'

February 10, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • J_

you are dumb. the plan B pill does not abort a fetus.

February 10, 2012 at 4:44 pm |
    • oneofsix

You letter was great. Unfortunately this writer, like most of us who sin, will try to rationalize their sins to make themselves and others feel better. As for the Church being out of touch, I guess that is why Jesus says he is not of this world.

February 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • J.W

I think this may be an example of the No True Scotsman fallacy. Plus, I do not see where she says she is s3xually active, unless I am missing that part.

February 10, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
    • Flinders, the butler

CM,
      1. Jesus gave the Eucharist to Judas. CM, you are better than He ?
      2. "Grave Error", if you read you Catechism has 3 elements. 1 of which YOU have no way of judging.
      3. Define "moment of conception".
      4 Is your god stupid ? You proclaim in Moral Theology that the crux of a "moral act" is INTENTION. Then you say clearly, intentionally, objectively, purposely, making a PLAN, (Natural Family PLANning), abstaining, INTENDING to do everything you can, (except taking a pill), to prevent pregnancy is ok ? Do you think god does not know what you are up to ?
      thank god, Catholic women, (who by a VAST majority use BC), are thinking for themselves. Do you think a mindless continuing increase in the geometric rate of increase in the world's population is NOT immoral ? Time to join the 21st Century.

February 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • LinCA

@J.W

In the 5th paragraph, she says: "Birth control, condoms, and emergency contraception have all served their purpose in my life, [...] , condoms have protected me from contracting diseases from sexual partners. Emergency contraceptives were there when I was uncertain about whether I’d become pregnant, and needed reassurance. ... "

I'm pretty sure she is, or has been, sexually active. 🙂

February 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • J.W

Ok sorry I misread that part.

February 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • SeanNJ

@LinCA: You said, "I'm pretty sure she is, or has been, sexually active."

*GASP* She went swimming in the same pool with boys?!?!

SCANDALOUS!!!

February 10, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • chief

leave the girl alone... she has a great article... momofthree, go backto praying to the dead or one of the 1000 so called saints that a man in dress declared

February 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • joewilson

@momofthree

continue to disregard what others have said to you.

you have done well.
      the others lie.
      do not believe their lies.
      you speak the truth.

continue to raise your three children in accordance with your own upbringing. teach them the ways of the magical book. in time they will be ready to be placed among the greater society, and fill their roles as simpletons, as you have done yourself. higher humans might attempt to recruit you or your children into mental autonomy. protect them. do not stray from the rules in your book, and reject their blasphemous advice. you as a citizen of the non-autonomous humans must remain mentally subservient to your sky man. failure to do so will result in eternal life in a fire pit with a scary horned man.

carry on good citizen.

February 11, 2012 at 6:41 am |
    • momofthree

@ Joe wilson. Hmmm...two Masters Degrees Hard Science...Yah...I aim to be a simpleton. Husband..near perfect score on SAT....Ivy League....engineer. We are really dumb people as you can see. Do you actually know anything about NFP? How about FSH or LH? Talk to me when you have some idea about such things.

February 12, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  12. Stephanie

To the author of the article –

I'm Catholic and I took birth control for years because of the same reason you take it, and I eventually got off of it because I felt it wasn't good for me and I didn't like the side effects. There are other ways to get your hormones in balance if you ever decide to stop taking it – Ovex P, adrenal complex, pms progesterone cream, etc.

February 10, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Jesus

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE! That's what this is all about!

February 11, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  13. RightTurnClyde

The Catholic ban on birth control is yet another FALSE doctrine invented by the RC church. Jesus has very little to say about marriage and birth control was not even possible in those days. Augustine said (not Jesus) that s.e.x. is a sin OTHER than for p.r.o.c.r.e.a.t.i.o.n. (one man's opinion). Jesus did not "commission" any sacraments other than Baptism; the Catholic church invented them (and then sold them) The Catholic church invented infallibility, celibacy, absolution, penance, holy water, holy candles, transubstantiation, extreme unction, c.a.n.d.l.e.m.a.s, throat blessing, scapula's, rosaries, medallions (like St. Christopher), patron saints .. and cardinals, monsignors, deacons .. all for sale. DISPENSATIONS .. all for sale. Annulments (for sale) .. it is all false doctrine.

February 10, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

I ought to add .. since they are not stupid (about in Phd's) they KNOW what they have done. The church hierarchy KNOWS but they go on doing it. It is all false doctrine and it is costly in terms of human consequences (such as celibacy) and yet the persist and go one with it. The could fess up and eliminate these things (they know ho to do that) and yet they will not. That is a choice and is made by knowing (educated) people who could change but do not want to change.

February 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • DefaultName

I fully agree with your statements. I cringe every time the non-biblical Catholic frivolity is performed/followed.

February 10, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • *facepalm*

It just goes to show you can use the bible to justify just about anything.

February 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  14. Janet Cooper

Karalen,
    A beautifully written piece. I am not surprised in the least with your ability to write a passionate and intelligent paper. You are my favorite niece after all.

February 10, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Jesus

Janet, how did she get the surname, "Morthole"? Such a beautiful woman with such a depressing surname!

February 11, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  15. Nii Croffie

Relationship education is even more important than s ex education. Emotionally mature individuals will be able to avoid several pitfalls which leads them to discounting safe s ex and lead to them contracting S-TIs.

February 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  16. myweightinwords

A very nicely worded opinion. One I can respect besides. A young woman with faith and intelligence.

February 10, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
  17. kate

beautifully written! i love that you are voice for today's catholic youth; still in touch with your faith, but able to live your life in a very modern and realistic fashion.

February 10, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • Jen L.

Karalen, thank you for your perspective. As a fellow young woman who is Catholic I appreciate that you are thinking about these things! However, I would invite you to listen to this talk – http://www.janetsmith.excerptsofinri.com/ which more fully explains the Catholic Church's view on the pill and all contraceptives. I think you might find that there are dangers of using contraceptives- both for individuals and society as a whole. It sounds like you are very concerned with all human life which is amazing! I just hope that you see that the Catholic Church's teaching is not contrary to the good that She is trying to do in other areas of social justice. Thank you again for sharing! God bless you!

February 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  18. J.W

She said it is a religion that promotes tolerance of others. I am not sure if I have seen that in my experiences.

February 10, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

The good man sees the good in evrything but the evil man sees evil in everything. This girl is good per this saying. You? Judge for yourself.

February 10, 2012 at 3:32 pm |
  19. J.W

I haven't read the article yet, but she is kind of cute.

February 10, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • SeanNJ

Be careful. I think her name means "death hole" in French.

February 10, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • Uncouth Swain

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking she was cute.

February 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Jesus

I'd do her, but only after she agreed to be on birth control pills.

February 11, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  20. Reality

Contraception should mean complete protection from getting pregnant and from contracting a S-TD. Unfortunately this is not happening . And why is that?

The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill ( 8.7% failure rate, one million unplanned pregnancies) and male con-doms (17.4% failure rate, another one million unplanned pregnancies ) have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Se-xually active teens, young adults and adults must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or co-ndoms properly and/or use safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.- Failure rate statistics provided by the Gut-tmacher Inst-itute.

from the CDC-2006 with some health and economic eye openers:

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (STDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psy-ch-ological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with STDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

And from:

Consumer Reports, January, 2012

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens (and all se-xually active "post-teeners": Or-al se-x carries many of the same risks as va-ginal se-x, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of or-al cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al se-x is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 's-ex.'" (i.e. the Bill Clinton Syndrome)

Obviously, Planned Parenthood, parents and the educational system has failed on many fronts.

(note: some words hyphenated because of an obvious word filter)

February 10, 2012 at 3:16 pm |