home
RSS
My Take: Why I’m a Catholic for contraception
February 10th, 2012

My Take: Why I’m a Catholic for contraception

Editor's Note: Karalen L. Morthole is a senior majoring in political science at Catholic University of America.

By Karalen L. Morthole, Special to CNN

In high school, I was prescribed birth control to balance my hormones. I suffered from terrible mood swings that had negative effects on my relationship with my family and got me into trouble with teachers. I also experienced menstrual cramps so painful as to be debilitating; sometimes, they left me unable to move.

My mother, a devout Catholic, had no problem with my taking birth control, because she recognized the dramatic effects this simple medication had on my life. Birth control gave me a new, healthy and balanced way to live. As a 22-year-old woman, I am able to think more rationally because of birth control.

Teachers at the Jesuit high school I attended urged students to protect themselves when they became sexually active, to use condoms to stamp out the risk of contracting a viral sexually transmitted disease that would affect the rest of their lives. Some would criticize my teachers for that, but I thank them. My peers and I were taught by caring and realistic teachers with experience making decisions to promote their own health. Some had seen the horrors of sexually transmitted diseases.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Birth control, condoms and emergency contraception have all served their purpose in my life, because each work in different preventative ways. Birth control has aided my mental health, giving me a clearer head; condoms have protected me from contracting diseases from sexual partners. Emergency contraceptives were there when I was uncertain about whether I’d become pregnant and needed reassurance. I’m not ready to raise a child on my own.

Even though the official Catholic Church teaches against contraceptives, I do not feel immoral using them. They’ve allowed me to live my life without the fear of unwanted pregnancies or deadly diseases.

My religion has played a large part of my life, laying the groundwork for my personal relationship with God. It has taught me how to respect others, be a human with integrity and help those in need. Catholicism is a beautiful religion that supports family values and tolerance of others and leads us to serve others, a teaching I’ve adapted into my everyday living. The Catholic Church does an exceptional job standing up for those who live in poverty and suffer injustices.

But on contraception, the Catholic bishops have taken a stance that violates the basic rights that affect millions of Catholics across the country and shows a lack of concern for women's health.

It is disheartening that the Catholic bishops were so opposed to the Obama administration's decision to require religious institutions like hospitals and colleges to provide their faculty, staff and students with access to reproductive health care, which includes birth control, emergency contraceptives and condoms. Even after the White House announced a revised policy Friday that exempts religious institutions from having to pay for the contraception coverage, at least one bishop voiced disgust. The U.S. bishops said in a statement Friday that it's "too soon to tell whether and how much improvement (there's been) on core concerns."

The bishops have gone so far as to threaten to cease health care coverage to the faculty and staff at my college if it’s forced to comply with the Affordable Health Care Act.

Even though the church will not support women's health needs and denies them opportunities to care for their physical and mental health, it does apparently condone other uses for condoms. In 2010, Pope Benedict XVI endorsed the use of condoms for male prostitutes, saying condoms “can be a first step in the direction of a moralization, a first assumption of responsibility,” and could help “in the intention of reducing the risk of infection.”

In my view, any sexual activity that spreads deadly diseases is sinful because it shows complete disregard for human health and human life. The Catholic Church believes that condoms negatively impact the sexual lives of men and women, preventing reproduction and the creation of life.

I believe that condoms are, in fact, pro-life. They help women and men act responsibly in regards to the spread of HIV/AIDS. Condoms also prevent unintended pregnancies that could result in abortions, another issue that the Catholic Church has strong views about.

As a Catholic, I stand with President Obama's decision to require religious institutions to provide access to contraceptives. I believe that birth control can be used by religious people without having a negative effect on someone’s faith. Catholics value human life. I believe that includes acknowledging the rights of women to take care of our bodies.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Karalen L. Morthole.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Uncategorized

soundoff (1,826 Responses)
  1. Bl

There was a deadline in Milwaukee to report abuse by a Priest, 8,000 people and counting have reported abuse. We should focus on taking care of these victims, than throwing stones at someone who takes a pill or wears a condom.

February 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • El Flaco

Are priests forbidden to use condoms when they molest little boys? What is the papal position on that?

February 11, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Eric G

3 points for "papal position".

February 11, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
  2. MissJ

I wholeheartedly agree with what this student is saying here. The Roman Church has no business in dictating what a couple (or woman) can and cannot do in the privacy of their bedroom. This was done in the middle ages to control the people, nothing more. The church is against anything science can afford to help out people. Just as in the Lord's day, the 'religious' were against Him because they feared the power He had over their 'charges' and they didn't want to give up that power–plain and simple. In a word, butt out Catholicism and let people choose for themselves. It is also my understanding that women have chosen to use birth control without the consent of their priest–good for them. More power to them for doing it. A woman is not just a baby-making machine, we are human beings with the ability to use our brains as well. It will be interesting to see the people using their collective brains to realize just what the 'church' has been doing for a very long time–a power struggle over the peoples minds and will.

February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • hh

You are spot on! Thank you for voicing your opinion.

February 13, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  3. hh

Ms. Morthole, you are an inspiration and a shining example of a young lady with both her feet planted firmly on the ground. Yet, your devout faith transcends the arbitrary commands of the "leaders" of the Catholic Church, who believe they are the only "chosen" ones with a direct line to God. I applaud your willingness to speak out; I respect your religious convictions. There is no doubt that God is smiling down on you.

February 11, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • Russ

@ hh: so you're the new bishop?

February 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Are you the pope, Russ?

February 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Russ

@ Tom Tom: I'm not arguing against their authority on this one. Hypocrisy is doing the very thing you're encouraging others not to do.

February 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm asking you the same question you asked. What's your problem, Russ?

February 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • hh

Russ.... you obviously lack the understanding of what I say. And thank God, no I am not the "new bishop." I do want to have anything to do with these megalomaniacal individuals. Obviously, there are those – such as you – who cannot fathom that there are other faiths outside of Roman Catholicism. Roman Catholic bishops have no place in those faiths. That is why your statement is has given me a chuckle. I find humor in those who are ignorantly intolerant.

February 11, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • hh

*correction: I do not want to have anything to do with these megalomanical.....

And Ms. Morthole, I stand by my original contention. You are an admirable young lady with her thumb firmly on the pulse of truth and reality.

February 11, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • Russ

@ hh & Tom Tom: I'm readily admitting that I appeal to a higher authority. But I'm not making the same claim that you are.

What I'm noting is that you are simply doing the very thing you criticize in these bishops: in your authority, you affirm that she's 'transcended' their authority. It is not ignorant intolerance to point out that you are equally intolerant of them, yet you claim to be tolerant & informed. That's hypocrisy.

February 12, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
    • hh

Russ, you STILL do not get it, do you? Telling someone that he/she has transcended authority is not tantamount to being "equally intolerant of [the bishops]." And there is no hypocrisy in what I say. I tell it like it is – lay it all out on the table. The bishops are pretending to have all the answers; to have a direct line to God. It is they who are intolerant of others when they proclaim that their way is the only right way (which is a position I have been subjected to repeatedly). I can say, though, that there is not one human being on this earth who really knows what the truth is. Oh, yes, there is a truth, but all religion is metaphor for that one truth. Religion is the manner by which humankind attempts to make sense of that which they cannot understand. I do not declare that my Christian beliefs are undeniably the correct interpretation of the truth. For all I know, Christianity may be the wrong story; Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. may be closer to the truth. But I do not go around calling individuals "immoral" when they do not conform to the tenets of my religion (as the bishops, etc. have done in their outcry against birth control). Everyone who knows me knows that I am, indubitably, a very tolerant individual. Not only am I tolerant of the Catholic faith, I am also respectful of it. Catholics, of course, are free to worship in whatever manner they see fit. But when they try to force their beliefs on me, that's where I draw the line. It is not hypocrisy, at all, that I expound. It is opposition to authority which does not listen to their rank and file. It is resistance to individuals who try to intercede into my life. By transcending the "authority" of human bishops, Ms. Morthole has reached toward a higher authority; she has followed her inner beliefs. There is no hypocrisy involved. It is what it is. And it isn't what it isn't.

February 12, 2012 at 5:28 pm |
    • Russ

@ hh: you are STILL claiming that you *know* the bishops are wrong – and yet feigning a humility that is inclusive. you cannot have it both ways. you say: "there is a truth" but you're sure it's not theirs. "when they try to force their beliefs on me" – but that's exactly what you are doing in claiming you have a better avenue to 'the truth.' after all, you certainly exclude the possibility that the Truth that is out there has chosen them as the appointed means by which to communicate Himself.

it's the old 3 blind men & elephant story – but you are claiming the perspective of the one who actually has sight. That IS a position of exclusive knowledge. It is equally exclusive. You are doing the very thing the bishops are doing yet claiming you are not. That either lacks self-awareness or integrity.

February 13, 2012 at 9:58 am |
    • hh

You obviously do not have the capacity to understand what I say. Either you are not reading my words or you cannot possibly understand them. I suspect the latter. How does my saying, "I do not declare that my Christian beliefs are undeniably the correct interpretation of the truth. For all I know, Christianity may be the wrong story; Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. may be closer to the truth" translate into "but that's exactly what you are doing in claiming you have a better avenue to 'the truth.' "? You still don't get it: I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE TRUTH IS, BUT NEITHER DO THE SANCTIMONIUS BISHOPS!!!!!!!! At least I am not claiming that I know, without a doubt, what the truth is. Listen to what I have said...it cannot be expressed in a more elementary manner. The bishops HAVE NO RIGHT TO IMPOSE THEIR MORAL (OR IMMORAL) BELIEFS ON ME IN THIS MORTAL LIFE. Period, end of discussion. And how dare you accuse me of dubious integrity or lack of introspective understanding. Aw, I forgot....you know me so well.

February 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Russ

@ hh: you're saying you don't know but you do know. You say you DON'T KNOW what the truth is – but then you say you DO KNOW they don't know the truth (but if you don't know the truth – how can you know that?). That's self-contradictory – by your own words.

You can't have it both ways. Either you don't know the truth & the bishops might be right, or you do know the truth & you're doing the same thing they are. So which is it? Your current position tries to have it both ways.

February 14, 2012 at 9:24 am |
  4. ByWayofBeauty

"The Truth Does Not Change According to Our Ability to Stomach It." Flannery O'Connor

February 11, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • hh

I am not certain what your point is by interecting with this quotation, but I can guess. Now for my point: There is absolutely NO individual on this earth who really knows what the "truth" is, despite the fact that they may sanctimoniously proclaim they do.

February 12, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bravo, hh.

February 12, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Russ

@ hh & Tom Tom: Flannery O'Connor – aside from being a famous author – was a renowned, devout Catholic who took her beliefs seriously. I'm guessing the comment here is yet again pointing out that this article does not do that.

February 12, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • hh

Fully aware of who Flannery O'Connor is. Never been a big fan of hers, but I consider it great that she was a devout Catholic and worshipped in the manner she saw fit. However, who are you – or WayofBeauty – to vilify Ms. Morthole because you think she is not following her beliefs? Of course, she is following her beliefs. Obviously, they are different than yours, but they are legitimate beliefs, nonetheless.

February 12, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • Russ

@ hh: a practicing Roman Catholic submits to the authority of the Church. it's a fundamental tenet of their faith. I'm not one, but that much is abundantly clear.

this author certainly has beliefs, but they are not faithful to the authority to which she claims to submit.

February 13, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  5. Patricia A Schenk

I am 75 years old and though there is a wide age difference I totally agree with this young lady. I was part of the grneration who came in on the middle of birth control. What a battle all of us young mothers fought with our conscience. I had 9 pregnancies which included 4 miscarriages. I had rh negative blood my husband had positive. Today they have a shot for that. In my day you just lost the babies that were not compatible. After much soul searching most of us just ignored the churches rules and did what we had to do. My children don't even consider it an issue. My daughters cannot understand how we would even consider a bunch of men who have no dog in this fight to tell us whether it was in the best interest of our health or not how to take care of our bodies and families

February 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Nonimus

Well said!

February 11, 2012 at 12:18 pm |

@ Patricia: I believe Bridget Jones put it something like this:
      "My grandmother wouldn't do it. My mother did it & felt guilty. I do it without remorse."
      The sins of the mothers become the inst'itutionalized sins of the daughters.

February 11, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nonsense, Russ. Women have been doing whatever they can to control their reproductive lives since mankind existed. Get over it.

February 11, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Russ

@ Tom Tom: I guess you'd say the same thing with racism?

February 11, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What idiotic nonsense you post. You would enslave women by forcing them to bear children they don't want and can't afford.

February 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • Russ

@ Tom Tom: so you admit they're children. Do you simply think the mother's quality of life is more important than the child's having a life at all?

February 11, 2012 at 3:39 pm |
    • Eric G

@Russ: Please answer the question. Do you have the right to tell others what they can and cannot do with their bodies, and why do you think you have this authority?

February 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Russ

@ Tom Tom & Eric G: I'm not dodging the question. But I think you're unaware of what you're claiming.

Though not a Catholic, as a Christian, I do believe that only God (as the author of life) has the right to end it. What he commands about life, whether one *likes* it or not, is binding & the truth. But before you guffaw at such an antiquated notion, notice: it is not unlike the authority you are claiming for yourself.

It is an end run to say "women's rights," when what most invoking that phrase mean by it does not include the woman in the womb (50% of the time). In saying "you can't tell a woman what to do with her body," you are claiming the very exclusive authority that you find so repugnant – authority over one's life. And even more troubling, in so doing, you are ending the life of one woman for the sake of another (who 99% of the time has actively made the choices that put her in this position) woman's convenience ('I prefer this quality of life over that one').

February 11, 2012 at 4:00 pm |
    • Eric G

@Russ: If you base your right to infringe on the liberties of others because of your "beliefs", I am now obligated to demand that you provide verifiable evidence that supports your claims about your god.

Your "beliefs" are irrelevant.

Please provide verifiable evidence that your god exists.

February 11, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Russ

@ Eric G: you exist. You didn't create yourself. Who or what did?

If there's no objective reality upon which to base your existence, then there's no basis for your moral outrage at any injustice – even your outrage at my perceived intrusion on a *woman's rights*.
      If there is an objective reality, then you are the pot calling the kettle black.

February 11, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Whine on all you want, Russ, but you are baying at the moon. Women don't care what you say or what the church says or what the government says. Women will do what they wish. Tough toenails for you.

When you find a way to birth a baby, alert the media. I'll be all for it.

February 11, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Russ

@ Tom Tom: as I said before, in your appeal to so-called "women's rights", you're ignoring the defenseless women who are dying in the womb. It is not baying at the moon to defend the defenseless.

February 12, 2012 at 3:35 pm |
  6. Manoj

Isiah 5:20
    Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.

February 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Flinders, the butler

Why do you have to appeal to a 3000 year old book to make your point ?

February 11, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  7. SS

Christians out there, we must pray for this girl and those misguided by this article.

February 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • chief

Christians out there.... learn to read and think for yourself.... this girl is right to make the points she has

February 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

These two posts are the truth. Pray for the author (to continue to think for herself). Pray for others to realize that they must do the same. It takes guts to turn away from the crowd and do what you know to be true.

February 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • hh

Please do not speak for all christians. You have no idea......

February 11, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  8. SS

Christians out there, we must pray for this girl and

February 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  9. AvdBerg

98% of all catholic women use some form of contraception. That should have been the end of the debate but obviously not when the media gets involved. It is an issue that is after the wisdom of man and the spirit of this world and not after God (1 Cor. 2:4-6).

For a better understanding of the history and doctrines of the Catholic Church and all its deceptions, we invite you to read the articles ‘The Mystery Babylon’ and Popes and the Princes of This World’ listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

Since Obama opened Pandora’s Box on this issue, we also invite you to read the article ‘Barack Obama ~ President of the United States of America’.

The following is an excerpt from the article.

“When we warned the Catholic Church in the late eighties about God's visitation and the se_ual abuse inside the church, it did come to pass and there are still new reports surfacing every year.”

All of the other pages and articles listed on our website explain the deep hidden mysteries of God and how and by whom this whole world has been deceived as confirmed in Revelation 12:9.

The Word of God is God (John1:1), it is truth and there is no lie in it (Hebrews 6:18).

Seek, and ye shall find (Matthew 7:7).

February 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • chrism

So what. 100% of the catholics (excluding Jesus and Mary) have committed sin. And this recently touted study said "have ever used" sheesh that includes 1 time condom use and the stride has almost nothing to say about whether anyone went to confession and no longer practices it.

February 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Manoj

Please report abuse.... They are constantly posting this comment every 5 minutes to get a large number of hits on their website

February 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • AvdBerg

chrism

For a better understanding what it means to be a sinner we invite you to read the article 'What is Sin?' listed on our website http://www.aworlddeceived.ca

It is much more than what by nature you have been made to believe.

February 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • AvdBerg

Manoj

We post on this social media in the hope that all of mankind will come to the knowledge of the truth (1 Timothy 2:4).

February 11, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • El Flaco

So can we agree on this at least?

98% of all Catholic women are going to hell?

February 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • Bizarre

AvdBerg,

How apt to this article that you quote Timothy 1

Read on to:
      "11 A woman should learn in quietness and full submission.
      12 I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet.
      13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve.
      14 And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner.
      15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety."

Paul of Tarsus – Phooey!

February 11, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • AvdBerg

Bizarre

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die (Romans 8:13). Please study what that means.

The gospel we preach is not after man, for I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesu Christ (Gal. 1:11,12).

You don't know what spirit you are of as you are spiritually blind (Luke 9:55; 1 Cor. 2;14).

For this reason our message remains the same: Ye must repent and turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan (whose spirit you are of) unto God (Acts 26:18).

You judge after the flesh (John 8:15), the believers judge after the spirit of man. Even though we don't know your name, we know you and what spirit you are of (Luke 9:55).

He that is spiritual judgeth (discerneth) all things, yet he himself is judged of no man (1 Cor. 2:15).

Seek, and ye shall find (Matthew 7:7).

February 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'm going to sue you for causing the carpal tunnel syndrome I'm getting from reporting your posts as spam, Adv. You're a paid shill. And a bore. Almost as bad as Reality.

February 11, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Brad

captain america should be after this one. AvdBerg is Canadian.

February 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • Bizarre

How odd that Paul of Tarsus didn't even know "The Lord's Prayer" (Romans: "we do not know how to pray or what to ask for"), words allegedly right out of the mouth of Jesus (according to Matthew & Luke).

February 11, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • What IF

Not sure that AvdBerg is in it for the money or not, but he is A.MAN.DELUDED.AND.CRAZED.CA

February 11, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Russ

@ Bizarre: considering Paul encourages prayer repeatedly in Romans & other of his letters, it seems you've missed his basic meaning. In context, the first part of the verse says "the Spirit helps us in our weakness."

His point: when we don't have words... times we are suffering beyond words.

NOTE: however, I am in no way defending this AvdBerg stuff. Just clarifying your interpretation of Rom.8.

February 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • ....

AvdBerg is a TROLL

CULT Alert! – This poster is a TROLL on this site don't bother viewing their garbage website or book it's full of LIES!

February 13, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
  10. Kim Payne

Are you serious this is the last thing we should be concerned about when it comes to Catholic church what about priest (I use that word loosely they are sleeping with the choir boys and when they get caught they move them to another church so they can start again to me that is what they need to change in the church in the name of JESUS I pray for that right now!!!

February 11, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • M. DaSilva

That has been going on among doctors and teachers, too. You've been doing your research on the front pages of web sites. Wake up!!!!!

February 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • chief

re mdasilva.... are doctors men of God? if they get caught are they reassigned by the medical board?

February 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  11. Russ

CNN: this is like doing a piece on democrats who will vote for Republicans instead of Obama.
    Sure, you can always find those folks, but doesn't it mean they've basically betrayed their roots?

February 11, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Ian in SA

"Sure you can find these folks" ? Yes, they shouldn't be too hard to find as nearly 60% of Catholics support the birth control requirement.

February 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Russ

@ Ian: there are 1 billion Catholics worldwide. even if your stats are correct in the US, that's only a small portion of the Church.
      the real question is: why have American catholics betrayed their roots?

NOTE: I'm not a Catholic.

February 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • hh

@Russ...I guess that would mean that the bishops and the pope are not very effective in their teachings. Perhaps they should listen to their people......

February 12, 2012 at 12:03 am |
    • Russ

@ hh: agreed, they are somehow failing to connect with their so-called 'followers.'
      however, the answer is not to compromise what they themselves are following. that's making the same mistake as the author here.

February 12, 2012 at 3:37 pm |
  12. El Flaco

No one has to swallow Church doctrine whole. That would be stupid. Just believe whatever you want to and still go to Mass if you like it. So what?

When I attended Mass and listened to the homily, I'd be thinking as the priest was talking, "That's stupid. That's stupid too. That's pretty smart; I'll think about that later. That's really stupid. He has an interesting point there. I'll have to read more about that. I wonder what I'll order for lunch?"

Isn't that what everyone does?

February 11, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • M. DaSilva

I can't speak for Catholics but Protestants say 'that's biblical, that's biblical, that's not biblical, that's....' Get it?

February 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Bl

Maybe this is what the Vatican wanted; to distract us with this issue so we don't pay attention to the priest-abuse scandals... We are tossed something shiny to distract us. And by the looks of it its working 😦

February 11, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

There has been a major problem in all churches with inconsistency. Both of you post another fact: the average person can listen to a holy Joe and think "that's true .. that isn't .. that is.." Well witness, then, John of Patmos and that was 90 AD (60 years after the resurrection). All of the seven churches had deviated (some very seriously) from simple doctrine. When John died that ended the Apostolic church. From 100 AD to 325 AD the Christians (not broken into fractions as yet) had adopted a series of inconsistencies. They did not understand the Trinity, deity, the gospels, the great commission; you cannot teach a "truth" you do not understand - so the teach was all messed up. The RCC broke away from the Eastern rites because it refused to conform to Christian Doctrine. But in time the Eastern rites broke down into Armenian, Chaldean, Alexandrian.. and some "sects" were neither Eastern or Roman. The Reformation introduce a wave of man-made false doctrine (the most degenerate of all being Calvinism - TULIP) It is IMPOSSIBLE to be in a church and practice Christian faith. Too bad, but that is a fact. I recommend (again) J. Vernon McGee.

February 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm |
  13. Benjamin

"Why I’m a Catholic for contraception."

Because you're a cherry-picking religious hypocrite.

February 11, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Andy

This girl totally should NOT be a Catholic. Wonder how many guys she's f***ed

February 11, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Andy

I wish CNN had a fb-like Like button

February 11, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • chief

i think its funny all you lving catholics bash this girl for doing something you dont.... using her brain

February 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Andy

chief: I'm not a Catholic, but I know a rule-violator when I see one. I bet if this girl weren't hot, and we're getting laid regularly, she would be extremely supportive of the anti-contraception movement.

February 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • visitor

Did you vote for Bush after the Pope decried the Iraq war?

And yes of course Andy, your wondering about how many guys a woman has s-x with has been a religious man's obsession for thousands of years. If only you guys swept off your own doorsteps the world would have, well, peace.

February 11, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  14. John

Whether you agree with the Catholic church or not, the fact is she contradicts herself. The woman claims to be Catholic yet condones fornication, contraception, and probably other things like abortion which the Catholic Church clearly states are against the faith (and teaches that they are, serious, mortal sins that unrepeated of before death, will put one to hell). So she is living a lie. If she claimed to be atheist at least you could say she was somewhat honest, or consistent in her belief system. She also has her facts wrong about what the present Pope condones. This poor soul has put her faith in a poison pill and a piece of plastic ( and certain apostate Jesuit teachers, who claim to be Catholic but are frauds).

February 11, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • chief

you make yourself look stupid because comment about this girla and its evident you didnt read the article.... good catholic

February 11, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Andy

right on, brother!

February 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

The RCC is a series of lies that do not reconcile .. so it is impossible to actually practice ALL of their rules. So now you can witness that RC priests have gotten into one problem after another because the RCC is not honest about celibacy and now you can see MOST RC women do not practice their rules on contraception. The RCC does not teach that you are saved by the redemption and faith in Jesus; they teach that you must have priests broker your salvation in their invented sacraments. They teach that you are "saved" by the work of men (priests and bishops). Well that is an absolute lie. They live a lie (and they know it) but you cannot in fact practice what they predicate as rules. (they contradict). The fundamentalists try (but fail) to practice Calvinism (TULIP) That is also a man-made lie. So you get back toe Apostles Creed (the Chrsitian churcfh in Acts) and you CAN practice that in good faith.(no church)

February 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • visitor

By many of your standards, the Roman Catholic Church REAL membership is well south of 100 million. Making this a minor church. Maybe it's time for Rome to revise those over One Billion numbers eh?

February 11, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • Flinders, the butler

How much TIME will it take you to "get" to hell ?

February 11, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
  15. GlennUpNorth

I'm not Catholic but lets be realistic. Why should anyone's insurance have to pay for that? This must be Obama's dumbest idea.

February 11, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • El Flaco

Everyone's insurance pays for it. Mine does.

February 11, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • mpmp

Paying for birthcontrol is far less expensive than paying for too many children brought into the world and not taken care of properly.

February 11, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why shouldn't it? Insurance pays for many things that don't affect me.

February 11, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Rhonda

Why should I pay for insurance for viagra? I'm a woman I won't use it. Why should I pay for insurance for cancer? I don't have it I won't use it. Get real

February 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Sacia Studer

Agree! I am a Catholic and supported Obama in the 2008 election but he is treading on my freedom of religion and forcing socialism down our throat.

February 11, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

If that's your belief, you have no idea what 'socialism' is, dearie.

February 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • hh

Amazing how many folks out there cry "socialism," when they obviously do not have a clear understanding of what socialism is. This is obvious by the context in which they use it.

February 13, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
  16. Alida

most of the females against this are females over the age of childbearing(seniors). Check out the people protesting at the Plan Parenthood clinics. At least in the country of Rick Perry.

February 11, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  17. Bee

Guess we can agree to disagree or how the saying goes ^_^ one thing we can agree though,, Was that a good Superbowl game or what! 🙂

February 11, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  18. Don Jones

You want others to follow the precepts of your religion butou dont want to follow some those precepts, typical of the reliious fanatic. If you believe the crap then live it.

February 11, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  19. Timmy

I am a catholic but I wouldn't classify myself as "devout" by any means. My wife began taking birth control in high school to help with her cramping and acne. However, we consider her birth control an important part of our family planning. I know many devout Catholics practice "natural family planning" which, to me, is exactly the same as using so called "artificial contraception." When a couple decides not to have intercourse on certain days because the female is fertile that is interfering with God's plan. We never truly know what his plan is for any of us, so if his plan was for a couple to conceive a child on a specific day and they decide not to because of the higher chance of pregnancy, that, to me anyway, is the same as using any other type of birth control. But at the end of the day I guess it's whatever helps you sleep at night.

February 11, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • RightTurnClyde

I was raised Roman Catholic and went to parochial school and a Jesuit university. I am now quite old shortly after I graduated from the Jesuit U. I had to realize I was not practicing MOST of the RC rules. I had to realize that whatever I was, it was not Roman Catholic. I was simply Christian (the Creed). They threaten you with excommunication and refusal of their sacraments and much ostracizing but SO WHAT? Forget them. The next thing you know they want you back! All is forgiven. You'd be crazy to go back. If you get divorced they condemn you, but they still want you to come and help pay the mortgage. They cannot be honest. If someone divorces they get all of their friends to sing (under oath) a lie (absolute lie) that the other spouse did not want children. Then they annul. It is based on one lie after another. (the Leaven of he Pharisees) AND .. they KNOW it is a pack of lies BUT it still makes a fortune so they persist. Just leave them and be a simple Christian.

February 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • RightTurnClyde

Post Script: having left the Roman Catholic church I was not welcome in MOST Protestant churches (for a variety of reasons). They are also impeded by a mass of invented fictions. So you realize that what you believe has nothing to do with a religion. The older Rev.Schuler was genuinely open minded and welcomed people without reservation. (one honest man). The Methodist are an open and welcoming group. All the fundamentalist are dogmatic and closed. Episcopal and Luther are as dogmatic as the RCC. There is a really great source of Christian faith: J. Vernon McGee. He could get down to the bare facts. The only on other than Rev. Schuler (the old guy).

February 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • chief

re rightturncycle.... great comment, been there, have the shirt

February 11, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • chief

HA HA my man... the bright spot hour

February 11, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
  20. LauraL

Yep. Here's the problem: I have been a Catholic my whole life. Baptized as a baby and confirmed in the seventh grade, I attended weekly catechism classes and received a Jesuit education. Never once did the opinion of the church on a person's use of contraceptives surface.

Instead of supporting contraception blindly and carelessly relying on abortifacients when she breaks the rules, she ought to be screaming bloody murder, demanding to know why she got cheated out of some of the most important practical instruction on living as a Catholic.

February 11, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What are you talking about? Contraception does not cause abortion. Neither does the morning-after pill. As for "practical instruction", what exactly would that be, LauraL?

Since 99% of women use birth control at some point in their lives, I hardly think many Catholic women are operating as you claim they "should".

February 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Marksleen

I believe the pill and morning after pill are called abortifacients because they can have the effect of preventing a fertilized egg (a child) from implanting in the uterus.

February 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then women themselves are "abortifacients" when they have a period and a fertilized egg simply gets flushed away.

The pill does not cause abortion.

February 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm |