home
RSS
Mormons apologize for posthumous baptisms of Wiesenthal's parents
Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal.
February 15th, 2012

Mormons apologize for posthumous baptisms of Wiesenthal's parents

By Moni Basu, CNN

(CNN) - The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has apologized for "a serious breach of protocol" in which the parents of the late Nazi hunter Simon Wiesenthal were posthumously baptized as Mormons.

The church also acknowledged that three relatives of Holocaust survivor Elie Wiesel were entered into the genealogy database, though not referred for baptism.

Asher Wiesenthal and Rosa Rapp were baptised in proxy ceremonies in temples in Utah and Arizona, according to the database records discovered by researcher Helen Radkey in Salt Lake City.

The Wiesenthal baptisms violated a 1995 pact in which the church agreed to stop baptizing Jewish Holocaust victims.

"We sincerely regret that the actions of an individual member of the church led to the inappropriate submission of these names," said church spokesman Michael Purdy.

"These submissions were clearly against the policy of the church. We consider this a serious breach of our protocol and we have suspended indefinitely this person's ability to access our genealogy records."

Mormons believe that they may be baptized by proxy for deceased ancestors who never had that opportunity.

Church members, however, are supposed to request such baptisms only for their own relatives, Purdy said.

The agreement over Holocaust victims came about after it was discovered that hundreds and thousands of names had been entered into Mormon records.

Jewish leaders said it was sacrilegious for Mormons to suggest Jews on their own were not worthy enough to receive God's eternal blessing. Radkey, who has been tracking Mormon genealogy records for a while for people who ought not to be there, said she inadvertently stumbled upon the Wiesenthal name a few weeks ago. Among others people she discovered had been baptized by proxy is President Barack Obama's mother, Stanley Ann Dunham.

The Simon Wiesenthal Center denounced the baptisms.

Wiesenthal's father died in combat in World War I. His mother perished at the Belzec concentration camp in 1942. Holocaust survivor Simon Wiesenthal died in 2005 after spending years hunting down Nazis.

"We are outraged that such insensitive actions continue in the Mormon Temples," said Rabbi Abraham Cooper, associate dean of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, who participated in many of the high-level meetings between Jews and Mormon officials.

"Such actions make a mockery of the many meetings with the top leadership of the Mormon Church dating back to 1995 that focused on the unwanted and unwarranted posthumous baptisms of Jewish Victims of the Nazi Holocaust," he said in a written statement.

He expressed gratitude to Radkey for "exposing the latest outrage."

Radkey also found the names of relatives of Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor, author and Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

"In this case, the Wiesel family names were not submitted for baptisms but simply entered into a genealogical database," Purdy said. "Our system would have rejected those names had they been submitted."

Purdy said it was "distressing" that church members had violated policy and regretted that "an offering based on love and respect becomes a source of contention."

Radkey said the church makes such breaches possible because any member can submit a name not connected to their own family.

"There are way too many entries slipping through the cracks, including Jewish Holocaust victims," she said. "It's (the Mormons') belief to save the dead that is causing the problem."

Wiesel, meanwhile, told the Huffington Post that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, who is Mormon, should speak to his own church and tell them to stop the practice of proxy baptisms on Jews.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Judaism • Mormonism

soundoff (2,053 Responses)
  1. Woof!

All religions are fundamentally weird, but Mormons go that extra step to ensure they are truly bizarre.

February 16, 2012 at 2:22 am |
    • cord

wow. you're hilarious.

February 16, 2012 at 2:55 am |
  2. jason

Why do Jews care if Mormons do this? They're not actually DOING anything. Just saying some stuff and believing it means something. Mormons are silly to do it and Jews are silly to care about it.

February 16, 2012 at 2:15 am |
  3. Xman

Who the #@$% cares. The LDS cult is one of the most stupid and insane out there. The way they treat and regard women, the fact the cult believed Blacks were God "screwing up" when making people on earth, and more planetary "real estate" the more kids you have while alive. What horse****. I find it amazing so many gullible and stupid people follow that garbage.

February 16, 2012 at 2:10 am |
    • Mike Harris

Stupid would be correct if that's what members of The Church of Jesus Christ really believed.

February 16, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  4. Tom

Jesus is an illegal alien. He needs to stay the Hell out of the U.S.

February 16, 2012 at 2:07 am |
  5. Willbur

I am baptizing all of you by proxy right now. And there is nothing you can do to stop me.

February 16, 2012 at 2:03 am |
    • Mr. Ed

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiilllllllbur! You are being a very weird creepy human again. Just like on the nights you come out to the barn and make me ride you.

February 16, 2012 at 2:09 am |
  6. RSW

1st Corinthians 15:29 Paul said, "Else what shall they do which are abaptized bfor the dead, if the dead crise not at all? why are they then baptized for the dead?" Baptisms for the dead occured in ancient times as indicated by Paul in 1st Corinthians, the ordinance was practiced by Christians in the New Testament.

February 16, 2012 at 1:50 am |
    • Over It

And there is no more evidence now than there was back then that it (baptism) actually accomplishes a dang thing.

February 16, 2012 at 2:09 am |
  7. jz

I think it is interesting that the only people insulting religion on this site are non Mormons. If people actually followed the example of Jesus Christ they would be less forceful with their biased, and incomplete opinions. Before you take a swipe at others religions make sure you know more about it then they do. And for the sake of all involved here, try to look at others points of view as valid first and you might just learn something about someone else.

For the clarity of all involved here, I would like to admit that I am LDS. And that I choose that faith after being a faithful follower of Jesus Christ as a Lutheran, and in the process of finding my faith was a practicing Buddhist, and agnostic. It has been a long ride here, but I can say that of all the faiths I have studied, and I have studied many, the the LDS faith offers the most for me. If it's not for you fine, but at least do your homework first.

February 16, 2012 at 1:42 am |
    • jz

ps...the journalism on this article is a bit shoddy. The author should worry less about the deadline, and more about the total story. It is a shame that a policy was broken, and I'm sure that the person who did it is sorry.

February 16, 2012 at 1:45 am |
    • truthfl1

Insightful post. If Romney wasn't a candidate, CNN would not have put out this article.
      Waiting to see how Obama's faith, whatever it is, he hides that too, is covered at length as CNN does with other candidates.

February 16, 2012 at 2:01 am |
  8. god s u c k s little boys c0ks

mormons are the scourge of the universe!
    the taliban is preferable to mormons!!!!
    kill all mormons ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((NOW)))))))))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    eradicate all mormons NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 16, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Dan

You seriously blocked my comment and not this.
      just because I used the word G@y in a totally correct and good example of why I disagree with your choice of article.
      You CNN Guys are messed up.

February 16, 2012 at 1:48 am |
    • jim22

You are making no sense - go back to your room..

February 16, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • god s u c k s little boys c0ks

Dan

You seriously blocked my comment and not this.
      You CNN Guys are messed up.

dan dan dan!
      u r g a y!
      i wish ur parents were g a y!
      or wish that ur mommy swallowed that load instead of...well, u know

February 16, 2012 at 1:54 am |
  9. King of Kolob

Come to Planet Kolob with me, all your wives eat free and every one gets to eat off of golden plates.

February 16, 2012 at 1:22 am |
    • jg

Hahahaha – Nice!

February 16, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  10. Big Mike

I think Mitt should explain where Joe Smith's gold plates are and why Mormons go to the slums of Rio and anyone to whom they hand a card to is "enrolled" as a member of the church. When Evangelicals contend its a cult, we'll maybe it is. Sunlight is the best disinfectant, and I'd like to hear from Mormons on these topics. That said, there is no question that not drinking or smoking is a great thing, and everyone agrees Mormons are the nicest folks to have as neighbors, etc. There's just something wrong about the origin of the religion. Was Jesus really in upstate NY? I'd love to know. Thanks.

February 16, 2012 at 1:22 am |
    • JP0

My Mormon friend would say that God works in mysterious ways. There's no denying they do some good in the world, but you are right that its origins are "mysterious" to be polite.

February 16, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • Mike Harris

As a member of the Church of Jesus Christ I don't mind if I don't fit the mainstream defintion of Christianity as long as my character, words, and actions are Christian.

Your last question is THE million dollar question. What if the answer is "yes"? Would that be the pearl of great price? See Matthew 13:45-46.

February 16, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • Mike Harris

You're right. "Mysterious" orgins is a fair and even polite way of describing The Church of Jesus Christ's orgin.

February 16, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Over It

Mike Harris,

The default / fall-back answer, without verified evidence, is NOT, "yes".

February 16, 2012 at 1:35 am |
    • Dan

1. We're Adam and Eve really the first two people on Earth?
      2. Did Noah Really Speak to God and Build an Arc and gather Two of every kind of animal?
      3. Sampson really slay a ton of dudes with the Jaw bone then lose his strength when they cut his hair?
      4. Did that lady really get turned into a pillar of salt for turning back and looking at some city?
      5. Did Peter really see God?
      I think this whole Christianity thing doesn't make sense!! but that's why they call it Faith.

February 16, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • Over It

Dan,

The tendency to believe too readily (without verified evidence) and therefore to be easily deceived is called gullibility.

February 16, 2012 at 1:43 am |
    • Mike Harris

Over It,
      I agree. Evidence must be present. I don't believe in "blind faith" or "false hopes". Faith and hope have to be placed on truth/facts or they have no merit or benefit.

February 16, 2012 at 1:53 am |
    • god s u c k s little boys c0ks

Mike Harris

--->mike
      how many choir boys have u k0rnholed?

February 16, 2012 at 2:01 am |
    • cogitation

Why should Romney need to "explain" any of this? He should not wear the doctrines of his faith on his sleeve any more than should any Protestant or Catholic that is elected. If you have a question about the LDS church, just go to lds.org or mormon.org and ask specific questions, or ask Mormons that you know personally.

February 16, 2012 at 2:18 am |
  11. cogitation

As you know, the term “Mormon” is a nickname, and the actual name of our church is Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It’s okay with me if people call us “members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints “ or “Latter-Day Saints” or “LDS” or “Mormon.” I am not a spokesperson, just a regular member of the Church that wants to express how I feel. I am saddened that some Jews are angry about baptisms for the dead. It is a beautiful and ancient Christian ordinance that fell into disuse long ago, until our church restored its use. I wish to assure Jews everywhere that no disrespect or offense is intended. Even by our own doctrine, none of the souls for whom this ordinance is performed is “forced” into baptism; we believe every deceased soul has the free will to accept or reject the baptism. LDS members, myself included, feel respect and a strong sense of kinship with the Jewish people. For example, I and every LDS member I know is a strong supporter of peace and prosperity for Israel.

I mentioned that baptism for the dead in an ancient Christian ordinance: it is mentioned in 1 Corinthians 15:29, and verses like Malachi 4:5-6, Psalms 16:9-10, Acts 2:25-31, and 1 Peter 4:6 help to illuminate aspects of the doctrine.

By way of explanation, we LDS regard ourselves as Christians, although I am sadly aware that some other Christians like to argue that point. I think these arguments stem from the fact that all Christian denominations have some differences in doctrine; our restoration of baptism for the dead is one of those differences. But I wish we could all set aside our arguments about differences and focus on the fact that we have so much in common. To quote two of our most essential articles of faith: “We believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.” And “We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.”

February 16, 2012 at 1:21 am |
    • Mike Harris

Insightful.

February 16, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • jg

You don't believe in the same Jesus anyway. The Christian Jesus never came to the Americas. You just make a conglomerate of two stories, keep the same name and call it Christianity. It doesn't really work that way. Go back to your made up hieroglyphics that also don't exist.

February 16, 2012 at 1:28 am |
    • tallulah13

You should be ashamed of yourself. Religion (or atheism) is a personal choice, and it is not your place to force your will upon others, even if they are already dead. This sort of arrogance is disgusting and unwelcome.

February 16, 2012 at 1:38 am |
    • Lucifer's children

So, you will have no problem with me baptising your relatives into the Satanic Church where I am a practicing member, so that their souls can belong to the Dark Lord? That's very enlightened of you. I'm sure you understand no disrespect is intended, and that they will not actually be forced to exist for eternity in Hell. I'm just glad you don't have any issues with us doing this.

February 16, 2012 at 1:39 am |
    • NSL

It's abuse and shows a complete disrespect for those who don't believe as you believe. That's it, end of story. There is no defense for this being done to anyone who personally didn't request it be done to them. You defile a person's spirit with your contempt for their beliefs. Those who believe in that nonsense are shameful representatives of the human race.

February 16, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Larry

I can't believe that you actually said this: " I am saddened that some Jews Jews are angry about baptisms for the dead. It is a beautiful and ancient Christian ordinance ".

How about the outrage that non-Christian Jews must feel having heard that, what most people consider a cult, practiced religious ceremonies on members of their faith, after that faith swore to stop doing so.

There is perhaps no clearer example of how clueless Mormons are. Put on your magic underwear, keep believing that
      Israel is somewhere in the middle of America, and putting your faith in a religion that is clearly based on hate for those who disagree with you and one that was founded by a racist, adulterer and know liar who has NEVER produced ANY evidence that those 'golden discs' ever existed.

February 16, 2012 at 1:49 am |
    • cogitation

@ Lucifer's children A fair question. Because I think it is obvious that God gives every soul the free agency to reject or accept any ordinance, I wouldn’t mind if any religion or group performed a rite that used the names of myself or my relatives. Those ordinances would have no effect unless I or my relatives accepted them. Again, that is why there is no intent to offend or coerce when LDS members perform baptism for the dead...in each case the individual soul can accept it or reject it. If the individual does not want it, then the ordinance will be null, void, and without effect.

February 16, 2012 at 1:56 am |
    • KD9669

As a christian, I am taught that the bible ends at revelation. It states this is it if anyone adds to the book then it is not my word.

We do not believe that we will become stellar beings after we die being awarded our own universe to rule over as a god.

We do not believe in levels of heaven.

We do not have secret rituals using masionic traditions.

I don't wear magic underwear if I'm temple eligible. In fact, I am only held accountable to my lord and he will let me in any house I choose to enter...not having to prove myself to elders/leaders.

I also don't have to worry about complete submission and dimished rights because I am woman. My husbnd will never have the right to shut the lid on my casket thus making the decision that I can not go onto eternity.

That is why it is considered a different religion.

Oh and how dare you think it is no big deal. Through these actions, you have diminished other religions and our freedom to practice our religion. I do believe your religion is a cult based on miguided information from a man who was kind of a low-life in his time period being visited by a demon. In my mind you are baptising people for the dark lord. But according to you...what does it really hurt. It has overstepped your boundaries, you do not have the right to make those choices for other people.

February 16, 2012 at 1:59 am |
    • Over It

KD9669,
      "I also don't have to worry about complete submission and dimished rights because I am woman."

Has someone "added" to Corinthians?
      1 Corinthians 14:34-36 we read, "Let your women keep silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak; but they are to be submissive, as the law also says. And if they want to learn something, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is shameful for women to speak in church, for Adam was formed first, then Eve."
      – and to Timothy?
      "Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence For Adam was first formed, then Eve."

February 16, 2012 at 2:24 am |
    • Ronson

@KD9669 Oh, did you mean Revelation, which wasn't written last by the way, or did you mean in Deuteronomy 4:2 where it says the same thing? Oh, so you're a Christian who only believes in the first 5 books of the Old Testament? Weird... As far your belief on Mormons goes, maybe you should talk to a Mormon or read what they actually believe instead of just listening to the hate your pastor is spewing from the pulpit. Did he tell you they have horns, too? "Hate your neighbor, make up lies to lead them away so you can save your paycheck" isn't what I read that Jesus taught.

The truth is most "Christians" rely on the votes of others to tell them what they believe, while they ignore the parts of the Bible they don't agree with. What about John 3:5? 1 Corinthians 15:40-41? James 2:17? I don't know if Mormons have all the answers, but I do get pretty sick of people attacking them with the same uneducated prattle. They seem like pretty nice folks to me and I've never heard any of them bashing on another religion. Bashing on another religion seems pretty un-Christian to me.

February 17, 2012 at 1:58 am |
  12. god is my beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeatch!

mormons r freaks
    they all should be castrated,disemboweled,dismembered, have the cross burned onto their faces and a baseball bat crammed up their backdoors

February 16, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • Ron Jeremy

and that, boys and girls, is what happens when you watch a steady diet of torture por n and Belladonna movies.

February 16, 2012 at 1:26 am |
    • cogitation

A perfect reminder why all civic-minded Americans need to look past differences, and tirelessly work together to defend 1st Amendment rights for everyone.

February 16, 2012 at 1:36 am |
  13. CULTS are for YOU and ME

LDS just became scariest terrorist group on earth. Can't wait for the downfall of the Mitten! Bring on Santorum for the last lap! YES WE CAN RIDICULE AND MOCK YOUR IDIOTIC AVERSION TO MORALITY AND LOGIC! No coincidence mormons vote GOP.

February 16, 2012 at 1:08 am |
    • cogitation

There is nothing “scary” or “terrorist” about the ordinance of baptism for the dead. These ordinances simple, beautiful, and done in privacy and without fanfare. Helen Radkey, a researcher for the Simon Wiesenthal Center, had to go to a lot of trouble to catch this error. Radkey is trolling about obscure databases looking for a reason to be offended. And, again, the LDS belief is that in each case of baptism for a dead soul, that individual soul can accept it or reject it. We hold that if the individual does not want it, then the ordinance will be null, void, and without effect.

February 16, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  14. Dane

As a member of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints, i regret that a misinformed member did perform this sacred ordinance for ancestors of people who have already requested that we do not perform ordinances for, it's unfortunate, we believe that all men and women should have the right to believe how and what they may, in short, we respect the beliefs of others. We believe that it is up to those spirits to decide for themselves if they will accept the baptism. and for those that have requested that their ancestors not be baptized for- we respect that as well.
    On a side note, this article incorrectly portrays baptism for the dead as baptism *of* the dead, It's incorrect. Baptisms *for* the dead are just that, a proxy baptism, someone living is baptized for an ancestor who is dead. The purpose is so that all might be able to receive the essential ordinance if they'll accept it; its quite a contrasting image.

February 16, 2012 at 1:07 am |
    • Mike Harris

Well said.

February 16, 2012 at 1:08 am |
    • Brian

Go worship your a golden plate.

February 16, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • JP0

It's all fiction anyway. The only thing that matters is the effect on living persons, Jew, Mormon or otherwise.

February 16, 2012 at 1:14 am |
    • jg

What are you talking about Dane!? Do you guys really believe all this stuff? Please tell me you're just making this up for kicks.

February 16, 2012 at 1:17 am |
    • Jim S

The LDS temple endowment ceremony included the depiction of a Protestant minister as a hireling of Satan, until extensive revisions to the ceremony were made in April 1990. Other deletions included the Penalties in which participants pantomimed having their throats, chests, and abdomens slit open, as examples of "ways in which life may be taken".

How can one possibly reconcile such elements of temple worship with your claim that "we respect the beliefs of others"?

February 16, 2012 at 1:22 am |
    • NSL

Your statement is so much nonsense. You said, "i regret that a misinformed member did perform this sacred ordinance for ancestors of people who have already requested that we do not perform ordinances for." Sorry but statement is clear that you don't respect the belief of others. No one should have to request you don't perform this outrageous ritual of baptizing people who lived their lives differently from your beliefs, because you believe it's the only way they will return to the Almighty. If you really respected others, you would never do that, but would only do it by entreaty of a son, daughter of spouse who can prove their parent or spouse actually wanted it done, PROVE they wanted it done.

February 16, 2012 at 1:34 am |
  15. zip

In 5 years, the Mormon church will be on the ropes. The more people learn about it, the more disgusted they will become. It is a cult, pure and simple. Not only will Romney not be president, his prominence will doom his church.

February 16, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • jg

I hope you're right.

February 16, 2012 at 1:18 am |
  16. 80shiling

Religion truly is the root of all evil that has befallen Mankind.

Seriously Mormons? What the F' are you people smoking? Posthumously baptising people who are NOT of your faith, into your sick and demented religion? I'm pretty much anti-Government, but in this case I think a law needs to be made to stop this obscenity!

Can we just get God to take ALL religious nutbags into heaven RIGHT NOW please? The rest of us would be SOOOOO grateful if all Christians and Muslims and pretty much ALL religious people would just sod off and leave the rest of us alone.

February 16, 2012 at 1:05 am |
    • Lybi

Atheists are more pushy with their beliefs (and more insulting to others) than any other group of people on earth, in my view.

February 16, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • Over It

Perhaps some are just pushing back, Lybi - guess who started it?!

February 16, 2012 at 1:29 am |
  17. phace_plant

Man, I hate those un-baptized dead people!

February 16, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • JP0

God hates them even more. They'd be in serious trouble if the Mormons weren't fixing things for them.

February 16, 2012 at 1:15 am |
  18. Bobbie

What shoddy research on this article. Oh, whoops, you forgot to mention that the proxy baptisms DON'T make the proxy (dead person) a Mormon, and the ONE PERSON responsible has been BANNED FOR LIFE. Mormons do baptisms for the dead to give the dead the OPTION of being Mormon in the next life, but they aren't forcing anything on anyone.

Most other news outlets seemed to include these details. Why such hateful bias in excluding them, CNN?

February 16, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • nut

Give the dead the "option"? What do you do? Do you ask the dead "golly, do you want to be a Mormon today?" Read the Bible, follow Jesus, and stop following Joseph's Smith's whacky theology.

February 16, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • Christian

So there is reincarnation in Mormonism?

February 16, 2012 at 1:22 am |
    • JP0

If dead people really had an option they could just tell God "Golly I made a mistake a should have been a Mormon except that they didn't exist when I was alive. Please forgive me." The earthly ceremony is solely for the consumption of the living.

February 16, 2012 at 1:52 am |
  19. Blake

This article is disgusting only in that it so blatantly distorts the intent of the LDS church and even gets a swipe in at Mitt Romney for good measure. The misdeed was performed by a single person among 13 million members worldwide. Further, Mormons do NOT claim that proxy posthumous baptism makes these people Mormon as stated in this article and by so many commenters. The LDS church does a service to all of you by compiling this huge geneological database on the backs of thousands of volunteers who piece together historical records. The Church admitted a breach occurred and promptly apologized. If you think the Mormons baptizing on behalf of someone ACTUALLY makes them Mormon is to accept the rite as having authority.

February 16, 2012 at 1:02 am |
    • jg

You aren't doing anyone any service. You just believe that because you're part of a cult that brainwashes you to believe that. If you go around constantly providing a service for people that bothers them, you're not doing any favor at all. Whether you're trying to make them Mormon or not... give them the option?? What? Go back to your loony bin.

February 16, 2012 at 1:15 am |
  20. The Good Doctor

CNN wastes no time to find a way to put "dead Jews" into a headline. Does anyone wonder why...?

February 16, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • Ron Jeremy

Because they're the only good Jews.

Silly Doctor.

February 16, 2012 at 1:25 am |
    • The Good Doctor

And Ron Jeremy really is all dick.

February 16, 2012 at 1:43 am |