home
RSS
My Take: Contraception denigrates me as a woman
February 16th, 2012

My Take: Contraception denigrates me as a woman

Editor’s Note: Valerie Pokorny is actively involved in marriage preparation programs, natural family planning instruction and chastity education in the Archdiocese of San Antonio, Texas.

By Valerie Pokorny, Special to CNN

(CNN) – In the face of the Health and Human Services mandate to provide contraception coverage, I stand with my fellow Catholics hoping our religious freedom will be respected.

But more importantly, I stand as a woman hoping who I am will be respected.

Four times a year, I walk into a room of Catholic moms and their middle school or high school daughters to help them see why being a woman matters, as part of the Archdiocese of San Antonio’s Mother-Daughter Programs on the Gift of Femininity.

Read the full story here from CNN's In America Blog.
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Content Partner • Opinion

1. hippypoet

shes a stupid cunt

February 17, 2012 at 2:28 pm |
    • hippypoet

fact is i don't know how to post such words so every time you do its clear to anyone who has ever read even one of my posts that you aren't me... why do you impersonate me? don't get me wrong, i take it as a compliment, but why do it?

this was my post on this topic – notice where i place a . in the middle of "bad" words...

so being fu.cked and having kids is a womans place in life, right got it.... is that the point the article is trying to make?

see i was under the impression that by taking birth control you were taking CONTROL over an aspect of your life...guess i was deceived by satan – oh you trickster!

how about teaching facts about every drug...does the priest ever take advil? does the nun take cold medicine? but why can't the ladys take birth control – oh thats right, the church needs more money and so for every baby had there is a % of them that will believe in "this" faith and pay the weekly humpbasket some cash!

like i said before, religion is either for personal comfort or personal gain...it has nothing to do with god or the idea of gods existence.... well, that is until you fu.ck up and sin! lol then its omg omg omg ! oh shut up!

its fu.cking tyranny!

February 17, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  2. kelly

So this religious freedom means If a scientology church is running a hospital and you happen to work there, your employer sponsored insurance won't cover anti-depressant since it's against their religion?

February 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • Tee Bee

Excellent point Kelly! That would never be allowed, so why is this?

February 17, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • sortakinda

Do you actually believe that, despite the current crush of Scientology TV ads, they would ever open a hospital? How about if Superman was Jewish and he wouldn't fly to save lives on the Sabbath?

February 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • CMoses

Jesus was Jewish and He cured people on the Sabbath.

March 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  3. Hypatia

Valerie, you go play with whatever you want. You have no right to ever ever make that decision for another woman.

February 17, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Joe Christianson

Absolutely right.

February 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • dofacc

Exactly! I have no right to tell you how to worship, and you have no right to tell me. You are also welcome to your opinion, but do not expect me to alter my life in anyway to meet your feelings.

February 17, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
  4. OvernOut

So where do disabled women fit into the grand scheme of things? My college-age daughter looks normal, acts normal until she seizes. Her anti-seizure meds are not to be taken by pregnant women as they are known to cause birth defects, and the anti-seizure meds will render The Pill ineffective. She has "unusual" brain activity five times a minute and one grand mal-type seizure per week without her meds. She has two minor no-big-deal seizures per month on her meds. If she were to discontinue her meds to have a baby, she would literally have to be wrapped in bubble wrap, she would be dropping to the ground on a regular basis, if the seizures alone didn't kill her.

My kid doesn't have to be forced into a convent, unless she chooses a religious vocation. She doesn't have to "submit" to anyone. Natural family planning would be a death warrant. She is not greater than nor less than anyone else due to her disability. This author ignores women like my daughter, so she is missing the very big picture. It's the author's loss, too, not my kid's.

February 17, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • CMoses

First of all, I am sorry for your daughter's condition, and thankful that her medication is able to help her life free of siezures.

Methods of NFP have over a 99.4% success rate. What part of your daughter's medication would render NFP inneffective? If she can't use the pill, maybe NFP, which does not introduce additional medication into her system, is actually the best option.

March 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  5. The Logical Truth

Valerie. I respect your opinion albeit it is misguided. You champion women's rights yet your Catholic church has been one of the most egregious offenders of suppressing women's rights throughout history. You say, that contraception promotion leads women to a "moral obligation to fulfill a husband’s s_xual needs" When you say this you are devaluing a women's s_xuality. For years, the Catholic church and society in general has tried to make women as_xual beings. If women are in control and embrace their s_xuality then that threatened the power of men and the status quo back then. We are all s_xual beings, and recognizing women's s_xuality empowers women not the opposite. Our s_xuality is a gift and it is not wrong to embrace it even if it is for pleasure and bonding and not for procreation. By the way, the world is becoming overpopulated and people having a lot of kids is putting a strain on resources and social safety nets. I know the bible says to "be fruitful and procreate", that made sense 2000 years ago when many people didnt live to see their 40s and the population of the world was much much smaller but that mantra doesnt make sense today. As humans we all have a responsibilty of responsible procreation so we can leave a stable good world to future generations.

February 17, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Cyndie King

Agreed. Also, the fact that contraception is available does NOT by any stretch of the imagination mean that its mandatory. Any faithful practicing Catholic has to simply not take the step to avail herself of birth control in any form to remain a faithful practicing Catholic. What I'm hearing is that the Catholic leadership is afraid its female membership might actually take advantage of the contractption that's being made available to them. In other words, the men will lose control of the women. Sorry guys, but that's what I see. Its not just Catholics, but many religions take the stance that the men and the leadership have the right to dictate to the women if she should have children, its her body they're using as a greenhouse without any concern for her health or wellbeing. We all know that if men carried the babies and had to raise the children (often alone in this day and age) then these rules would be considered obsolete and life would move forward instead of being stuck in the Middle Ages.

February 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
  6. Girl genius

Valerie-You have well articulated the power of owning womanhood. A woman is often times overtly sexualized and denigrated to an object. A woman is the sum of beauty, grace, poise, charity, kindness, intelligence, skill and much more than an object wearing a skimpy red outfit, pouting its lips to make a sale for a Ferrari.
    I join you in reclaiming the message of womanhood to what it truly stands for and owning the'Girl genius' and in being the best God has intended every woman to be.

Wishing God’s best in everything you do.
    🙂

February 17, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • tallulah13

The very premise of this article is false. Birth control doesn't take pictures of women in skimpy outfits. Birth control doesn't make men see women as objects. Women have been exploited for most of history. Birth control didn't start that, or make it worse. Birth control simply allows a woman to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

This author ties her personal value to her church. She's allowing a patriarchal belief system to determine her value. I find that a lot more denigrating than birth control, a simple tool that allows women the power to determine her own fertility.

February 17, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • Carl

I hope you don't use the bible to get your idea of what god wants women to be.

February 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • alice

Im a catholic mother with two teenage daughters and all i can say is Ellie your a moron catholic n so are our leaders in the church that is why both my daughters have rejected the catholic church n i dont blame them.

February 17, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
    • lili

You know, if you want to believe you know what God's intent is for every woman alive, I want to let you know that you don't speak for me. I believe that whatever God is, and I doubt it's an old man up in the sky, my relationship with it is personal and not dictated to me by men in religious hierarchies. Nor by a book that was subjectively written by another bunch of men a long time ago. I don't believe in your doctrine, but I respect that you have it. Please just respect that others feel differently and do not consider themselves subjects of your faith.

February 23, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
  7. Reality

FIRST-YEAR CON-TRACEPTIVE FAILURE RATES (From Guttmacher- 2008)------–>

Percentage of women experiencing an unintended pregnancy (a few examples)

Method……………..Typical

Pill (combined)……… 8.7
    Tubal sterilization ……0.7
    Male condom ……….17.4
    Vasectomy…………… 0.2

Periodic abstinence.. 25.3 (RCC approved)
    Calendar 9.0 (RCC approved)
    Ovulation Method 3.0 (RCC approved)
    Sympto-thermal 2.0 (RCC approved)
    Post-ovulation 1.0 (RCC approved)

No method 85.0" (RCC approved and important to women and men wanting to get pregnant)

(Abstinence) 0 (RCC approved)

(Masturbation) 0

February 17, 2012 at 7:45 am |
    • Edwin

These numbers do not make sense. Are you saying the pill, correctly used, is only 92% effective? Over what period of time?

If instead you mean that people do not correctly use it, then re-assess abstinence. A *LOT* of people who tried abstinence did not "use it correctly" 100% of the time. Their primary form of birth control failed, and they had no back up. Simply put, if you include error rates in the other forms, include it in abstinence as well, or else you have biased (and false) data.

February 17, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Danno

Been with my wife for 10 years, she's been on the pill the whole time.

No pregnancies. That means no abortions and no screaming "gifts from God". That's a win in my book. And it proves your numbers are just as made up as religion is.

February 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Kessei

If you take the Bible literally, I don't see how you can say abstinence has a 0% failure rate. Sure seems like it failed Mary.

February 17, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • Reality

"Facts on Contraceptive Use

January 2008

"WHO NEEDS CONTRACEPTIVES?

• 62 million U.S. women (and men?) are in their childbearing years (15–44).[1]

• 43 million women (and men) of reproductive age, or 7 in 10, are se-xually active and do not want to become pregnant, but could become pregnant if they or their partners fail to use a con-traceptive method.[2]

• The typical U.S. woman (man?) wants only 2 children. To achieve this goal, she (he?) must use cont-raceptives for roughly 3 decades.[3]

WHO USES CON-TRACEPTIVES?

• Virtually all women (98%) aged 15–44 who have ever had int-ercourse have used at least one con-traceptive method.[2](and men?)

• Overall, 62% of the 62 million women aged 15–44 are currently using one.[2] (and men)

• 31% of the 62 million women (and men?) do not need a method because they are infertile; are pregnant, postpartum or trying to become pregnant; have never had inte-rcourse; or are not se-xually active.[2]

• Thus, only 7% of women aged 15–44 are at risk of unwanted pregnancy but are not using con-traceptives.[2] (and men?)

• Among the 42 million fertile, s-exually active women who do not want to become pregnant, 89% are practicing con-traception.[2] (and men?)

WHICH METHODS DO WOMEN (men?) USE?

• 64% of reproductive-age women who practice con-traception use reversible methods, such as oral con-traceptives or condoms. The remaining women rely on female or male sterilization.[2]

FIRST-YEAR CON-TRACEPTIVE FAILURE RATES

Percentage of women (men?) experiencing an unintended pregnancy (a few examples)

Method……………..Typical

Pill (combined)……… 8.7
      Tubal sterilization ……0.7
      Male condom ……….17.4
      Vasectomy…………… 0.2

Periodic abstinence.. 25.3 (RCC approved)
      Calendar 9.0 (RCC approved)
      Ovulation Method 3.0 (RCC approved)
      Sympto-thermal 2.0 (RCC approved)
      Post-ovulation 1.0 (RCC approved)

(Abstinence) 0 (RCC approved)

(Masturbation) 0

More facts about contraceptives from

guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_contr_use.html

"CON-TRACEPTIVE METHOD CHOICE

Cont-raceptive method use among U.S. women who practice con-traception, 2002

Method No. of users (in 000s) % of users
      Pill………….. 11,661……………. 30.6
      Male condom 6,841……………… 18.0 "

i.e.
      The pill fails to protect women 8.7% during the first year of use (from the same reference previously shown).

i.e. 0.087 (failure rate)
      x 62 million (# child bearing women)
      x 0.62 ( % of these women using contraception )
      x 0.306 ( % of these using the pill) =

1,020,000 unplanned pregnancies
      during the first year of pill use.

For male condoms (failure rate of 17.4 and 18% use level)

1,200,000 unplanned pregnancies during the first year of male condom use.

The Gut-tmacher Inst-itute (same reference) notes also that the perfect use of the pill should result in a 0.3% failure rate
      (35,000 unplanned pregnancies) and for the male condom, a 2% failure rate (138,000 unplanned pregnancies).

o Conclusion: The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the pill and male condom have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the pill or condoms properly and/or use other safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.

As note below but since some forgot to review the whole page, one more time from February 17, 2012 at 12:33 am |

February 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
  8. kWAY

impeach obama!

February 17, 2012 at 7:19 am |
    • Observer

The basic questions come to mind. Why? How?

February 17, 2012 at 7:55 am |
    • lili

Why? For protecting women's choice?

February 23, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  9. karen

NATURAL FAMILY PLANNING WORKS! IT IS MORE EFFECTIVE THAN BIRTH CONTROL! DO YOUR RESEARCH. IT REQUIRES COMMUNICATION BETWEEN SPOUSES AND DISCIPLINE! IT IS NOT ANTIQUATED. WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO PUMP YOUR BODY FULL OF ARTIFICIAL HORMONES?

LEARN MORE BEFORE COMMENTING.

RESEARCH THE CREIGHTON METHOD. IT WORKS BETTER THAN ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILLS.

WHO BENEFITS FROM OCPS? BIG PHARMA!

February 17, 2012 at 7:13 am |
    • tallulah13

The "artificial hormones" free you from having to plan your s.ex life - couples can enjoy each other without consulting a calendar. If you don't want that freedom, you don't have to take the pill. No one is making you.

Also? I think your caps lock is stuck.

February 17, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • The Bobinator

> WHO BENEFITS FROM OCPS? BIG PHARMA!

The hallmark of an uninformed idiot. It's BIGTOBACCO, BIGPHARMA, etc.

Take your hippie nonsense and go somewhere else. We don't need idioicy to penetrate our levels of goverment. Thanks.

February 17, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • myweightinwords

Is there any particular reason you're yelling at us?

Also, "artificial hormones" saved my life. Seriously. My cycles were so irregular and so heavy and the pain was bad enough to make me seek out help, and I have a ridiculously high threshold for pain. I live with chronic pain due to nerve damage. When I hit the point where I was getting less than two weeks between cycles, and I was anemic and going crazy from the constant pain and all the rest that goes with being a woman, I finally sought help.

I was put on "the pill". Actually, we had to try a few different ones to find the one that worked. Eventually we did though. And the relief was AMAZING.

You want to spend your time trying to figure out when it's safe to engage in intercourse? Go for it. No one is stopping you.

February 17, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • dabble53

ummm....contraception would include (proper) use of condoms. What hormones are involved? Last I looked, latex manufacturers were not part of big pharma.

February 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • J.W

One argument I hear against contraception is that it does no allow a bond between husband and wife. I do not see how having to plan out when you are going to have relations strengthens the bond between husband and wife. It seems like it would be much worse.

February 17, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Lucy

Only if you have regular cycles. Mine aren't, and never have been (except for the years when I took hormonal birth control to regulate them). Since I can't predict my hormonal schedule, I can't do natural family planning. So . . . BC it is!

March 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  10. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

February 17, 2012 at 6:57 am |
    • Primewonk

Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
      Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
      Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam.
      Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
      Spam spam spam spam!

February 17, 2012 at 8:23 am |
    • bringoutyourdead

demon primewonk fears prayer so much it resorts to insanity to try to discredit prayer

February 17, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Speak the Truth

oh...unless your Tebow or Rick Perry. God must hate you and never answers your prayers.

February 17, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Danno

"Atheism is not healthy"

Prove it. Otherwise you're talking out your a**. The burden of proof is on you to show me that there is a god.

February 17, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • Bob

Clearly, prayer doesn't change things. Proof? You're still here.

February 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
  11. erussell

After seeing all the commercials on TV for Lawyers sueing contraception companies in wrongfull death suits. I think it would be safer to smoke a pack of cigs a day than take the pill. Anyone ever see the list of side effects for this stuff. Would be really interested in seeing how many people have actually died or have been maimed from taking the pill. Doesnt seem wise to be offering it for free. Wouldnt that leave you open for a law suit if someone dies?

February 17, 2012 at 2:55 am |
    • tallulah13

A small percentage of women may die from using birth control pills. Many of those women who die have pre-existing conditions or habits which contribute to those deaths. All prescriptions drugs have dangers. That is why you need a doctor to prescribe them.

Of course, not using birth control pills increases the chances for a se.xually active women to accidentally become pregnant. Accidental, unwanted pregnancy leads to higher abortion rates. As far as I can tell, you people whining about wise family planning are accessories to abortion.

February 17, 2012 at 3:21 am |
    • tallulah13

I phrased that wrong. What I meant to say is "I wonder how many of those women who died from using birth control had habits or conditions that contributed to their deaths?"

February 17, 2012 at 3:24 am |
    • erussell

A small % of people have died from taking alot of different drugs that have been banned. This one only kills women so its not a big deal I guess. Anyhow, I wonder what pharm. company has Obama in thier back pocket for him to be pushing this so hard?

February 17, 2012 at 5:02 am |
    • tallulah13

Were you aware that men have died from the use of Viagra? I guess it doesn't matter to you because they're just men.

Birth control is a useful tool for preventing unwanted pregnancy. If you feel that it is too dangerous to your health, by all means do not use it. However, millions of women appreciate the benefits, despite the small risk.

February 17, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • tallulah13

I forgot to comment about the lawyers in your initial post:

I've seen some commercials for lawyers wanting to sue about birth control. I've also seen commercials for lawyers wanting to sue about artificial hips, asbestos and pretty much any type of personal injury. The term we're looking for here is "Ambulance Chaser". Lawyers make money from lawsuits. They can and will create lawsuits for just about anything, because we live in a culture that worships victims and juries love to give away other people's money.

February 17, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • dabble53

Keep it balanced. If you want to talk about deaths from birth control, then you also need to include the statistics about deaths from pregnancies and births.

February 17, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  12. tallulah13

What a silly article. This woman isn't being forced to take birth control. If she doesn't want to have se/x, she doesn't have to. If she wants to be se.xually irresponsible, that is her option as well.

There is no virtue in prudery. People have s/ex. Wise people use birth control to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Affordable, available birth control benefits society as a whole, by reducing the number of unwanted children and by reducing the number of abortions. I think the author defines herself by her fertility. I can only hope that someday she realizes that a woman has more to offer than her uterus.

February 17, 2012 at 1:40 am |
    • Reality

FIRST-YEAR CON-TRACEPTIVE FAILURE RATES (From Guttmacher- 2008)

Method……………..Typical

Pill (combined)……… 8.7
      Tubal sterilization ……0.7
      Male condom ……….17.4
      Vasectomy…………… 0.2

Periodic abstinence.. 25.3 (RCC approved)
      Calendar 9.0 (RCC approved)
      Ovulation Method 3.0 (RCC approved)
      Sympto-thermal 2.0 (RCC approved)
      Post-ovulation 1.0 (RCC approved)

(Abstinence) 0 (RCC approved)

(Masturbation) 0

February 17, 2012 at 7:44 am |
  13. Reality

"Facts on Contraceptive Use

January 2008

"WHO NEEDS CONTRACEPTIVES?

• 62 million U.S. women (and men?) are in their childbearing years (15–44).[1]

WHO USES CON-TRACEPTIVES?

WHICH METHODS DO WOMEN (men?) USE?

FIRST-YEAR CON-TRACEPTIVE FAILURE RATES

Method……………..Typical

Pill (combined)……… 8.7
    Tubal sterilization ……0.7
    Male condom ……….17.4
    Vasectomy…………… 0.2

Periodic abstinence.. 25.3 (RCC approved)
    Calendar 9.0 (RCC approved)
    Ovulation Method 3.0 (RCC approved)
    Sympto-thermal 2.0 (RCC approved)
    Post-ovulation 1.0 (RCC approved)

(Abstinence) 0 (RCC approved)

(Masturbation) 0

More facts about contraceptives from

guttmacher.org/pubs/fb_contr_use.html

"CON-TRACEPTIVE METHOD CHOICE

Cont-raceptive method use among U.S. women who practice con-traception, 2002

Method No. of users (in 000s) % of users
    Pill………….. 11,661……………. 30.6
    Male condom 6,841……………… 18.0 "

i.e.

i.e. 0.087 (failure rate)
    x 62 million (# child bearing women)
    x 0.62 ( % of these women using contraception )
    x 0.306 ( % of these using the pill) =

1,020,000 unplanned pregnancies
    during the first year of pill use.

For male condoms (failure rate of 17.4 and 18% use level)

1,200,000 unplanned pregnancies during the first year of male condom use.

February 17, 2012 at 12:33 am |
  14. The Phist

Who is this Valerie Pokorny moron? And why isn't she in the kitchen?

February 17, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • Bob

Not to mention barefoot and pregnant. Her opinions denigrate herself as a woman.

February 17, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  15. PlayCracktheSky

why do catholics want women to be baby factories? i'm on birth control because i already have one child and that's all i want, i also like having s.ex with my husband. natural family planning does not work. if the insurance companies are the ones covering the birth control what is the problem? it's not like their forcing the archbishops to stand outside their churches and hand out the pill. not everyone is catholic so not everyone should follow their rules. their religious freedoms arn't being oppressed. they're still free to believe and worship as they want. none of them have to take birth control.

February 16, 2012 at 10:45 pm |
    • ellie

Yes, but they are made to provide the pill. Also, no one wants to make "baby factories", it's just a matter of letting babies have life. Even if you don't believe that life begins at conception(not saying you don't, just explaining 🙂 ) you are still taking away the chance the baby has of life.

February 17, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • Soylent

So what's your crackpot anti-conception argument? Life begins before conception?

February 17, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • Soylent

Clearly I want to say anti-contraception.

February 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • J.W

A sperm and egg is not the same thing as a baby.

February 17, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
  16. Nauseous!

While this woman and her incendiary ignorance make me sick to my stomach I take comfort in the fact that the majority of people commentating would never condone her out-dated and frankly dangerous extremism.

February 16, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Worse than the flu

I couldn't have said it better myself. Here's hoping there aren't enough nut jobs in our great country to support people like her and Santorum.

February 16, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Wow

You don't have to be pro choice to see that she is clearly in need of some serious education and perhaps some cult deprogramming!

February 16, 2012 at 10:35 pm |
    • Taking vitamin C now..

@ worse than the flu- I hope this writer isn't contagious!

February 16, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • ellie

Why is this such an issue? All the author is saying is that religion should be respected, not having the religious group be forced to provide and pay for something that they don't believe is right. Don't bring pro whatever you are into it. Yes, she believes in her dignity in a woman, appreciates the fact that she can have children. I know this, because as a catholic, that is what we're taught as women. Geez,you people think you're so right, everyone has to go with what you say. Catholics aren't saying "don't do this. No one is allowed to do this" we just don't want to be forced to provide and pay for something that we believe is wrong.

February 17, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • tallulah13

Ellie:

If a religion is running a business, they no longer have the protections of their faith. If catholics don't want to obey the rules pertaining to business, they should get out of the health care and education business, or simply offer those services for free under the auspi.ces of the church. But as long as they are collecting money from non-religion endeavors, they are subject to as many laws as the secular businesses that provide the same for-profit services.

February 17, 2012 at 2:50 am |
  17. Esther

From one woman to another- A great article!!!

February 16, 2012 at 7:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Only if you're an idiot.

February 16, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Observer

A classy, well groomed woman knows the fine art of communication.

February 16, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • Skullvodka

"Well groomed woman" LOL That is some funny right winged s#$t right there.

February 16, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Typos

I believe your comment is missing a word, you clearly meant to say "from one [DELUSIONAL] woman to another"

February 16, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • tallulah13

From another woman: What a dreadful, irresponsible article. No one says you have to have se/x, but society benefits when precautions are taken to prevent unwanted pregnancies.

February 17, 2012 at 1:42 am |
  18. hippypoet

its fu.cking tyranny!

February 16, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

February 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Skullvodka

TROLL

February 16, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Ha

Lol ignorance at its best!

February 16, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • ellie

@Ha
      Really? I only have to look at your comment to see ignorance at it's greatest.

February 17, 2012 at 1:37 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

February 17, 2012 at 6:56 am |
    • Bob

Prayer changes nothing. Proof? You're still here.

February 17, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  20. SuZieCoyote

Such as sad, deluded, young woman. She wholeheartedly supports her own repression and calls it respect. It wasn't so long ago (my mother's generation) where she would never have had a chance to speak her mind publically, mainly because she would already have had a houseful of children.

February 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • William Demuth

Similar to Stockholm Syndrome.

Muslim chicks get it even worse.

February 16, 2012 at 3:58 pm |
    • ellie

How is this young woman deluded and how is this repression? She is only saying that she values her ability to have children instead of throwing it away with contraceptives. But I bet You'll only say I'm just as sad and deluded as this young woman.

February 17, 2012 at 1:47 am |
    • tallulah13

Ellie, I don't know if you understand this, but contraceptives prevent unwanted pregnancy. They don't sterilize you. You can still have children, you just have to stop taking contraceptives and get them out of your system first.

You don't have to take contraceptives. You don't have to have s/ex. You can do what you want. But responsible women (married and unmarried) who are se.xually active will use birth control. It's not denigrating. It's liberating.

February 17, 2012 at 1:57 am |
    • JDB

@tallulah13: I don't know if you understand this, but birth control pills do temporarily render you sterile. The pill works by giving women high doses of artificial hormones to prevent a woman's reproductive system from functioning. These artificial hormones do come with unpleasant side effects.

It seems like what you are saying is that liberation involves suppressing biology through artificial chemicals. Some liberation.

March 11, 2012 at 8:12 am |