home
RSS
February 18th, 2012

My Take: Houston funeral brings world inside black church

By Stephen Prothero, Special to CNN

Whitney Houston gave a lot of gifts to the world. She gave us the best rendition ever of "The Star-Spangled Banner." She gave us “I Will Always Love You.”

But Saturday at New Hope Baptist Church in Newark, New Jersey, where as a girl she sang in the choir, she gave us a church service — a chance for people of all races to see what church looks like inside the community that gave Houston (and us) her voice.

“There are more stars here than the Grammys,” said Houston’s music director, Rickey Minor, and the service did feature pop star Stevie Wonder and music mogul Clive Davis, among others. But so much of popular music started in the black church, and today the black church talked back.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

In other words, this was an unapologetically Christian service, replete with references to salvation and “amazing grace,” where even the pop stars were transformed into gospel singers. People crossed themselves. They raised their hands to heaven. And the congregation kept shouting back: “Yes!” and “That’s it!” and “Praise the Lord!”

Tyler Perry testified that “Whitney Houston loved the Lord.” Cece Winans sang “Jesus Loves Me.” And when R. Kelly sang “I Look to You,” he wasn’t just accompanied by the choir behind him but by a chorus of “amens" from the congregation.

Marvin Winans, a gospel singer and the founding pastor of The Perfecting Church in Detroit, thanked Whitney’s mother Cissy Houston for deciding to hold the service at New Hope. “You brought the world to church today,” he said. And so she did.

It is often said that Sunday morning at 11 is the most segregated hour in American life. So many Christians who attend church all their lives never see what millions saw earlier today on television. They don’t know what a black church choir sounds like. And they have never heard a preacher like Winans, who delivered the eulogy.

Costner delivers poignant eulogy for co-star Houston

For years I have been promising to take my daughters to Bethel A.M.E. Church in Boston's Jamaica Plain, co-pastored by the Rev. Dr. Ray Hammond and his wife the Rev. Dr. Gloria White-Hammond. But I have never done it.

Today I texted my oldest daughter to tell her to tune in, to see how Christianity lives and breathes far away from the mostly white Lutheran and Episcopal churches she has known growing up on Cape Cod.

I wanted her to see the call-and-response tradition that turns a song or a sermon into a collaborative act, as much a product of the enthusiasts in “Amen corner” as of the singer or the preacher. I wanted her to see how sermons can be delivered extemporaneously, instead of bring written and read. But most of all, I wanted her to feel how it feels to sit in a church like this while whatever you want to call that power washes over you.

Tyler Perry: Houston loved the Lord

The Winans sang a beautiful version of “Tomorrow,” which played the role in this service that the sermon often plays in black church funerals — reminding us all that we are going to die so now is the time to turn to Christ.  “Jesus said here I stand/ Won’t you please let me in/And you said I will tomorrow,” they sang, before reminding us, “Who promised you tomorrow/ Better choose the Lord today.”

Winans preached from Matthew 6:25 (the lines just before we are told to consider the sparrows): “Therefore I say unto you, take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body more than raiment?"

There was talk in his sermon of salvation, in both this world and the next. And there were references to the Exodus story, that great narrative of deliverance from slavery that has inspired Americans of all races since colonial times.

There was also more than a hint of the prosperity gospel, which according to Winans is the only gospel there is. The Bible, he said, is our “owner’s manual” and God gave it “so that you can get the best performance out of your life.”

But as I listened I heard two main messages.

The first was not to worry because God has our backs.  The second was to “prioritize,” a word Winans repeated throughout his sermon. “No man can serve two masters,” Winans said. “Either you love God or you serve money.” So we should put God first.

In the end, however, what lorded over this service wasn’t any one person or any one message. It was the spirit of the thing, which swooped and soared over the mourners like something very much alive: the exhalations from Alicia Keys before she began to sing, the sobs from Whitney’s mother, and the sense of a presence of something lurking, perhaps, in the day to day but unmistakable in rare moments like this.

I don’t know what to call that something. Sociologists have their theories. Preachers do, too. But it stopped me up short for a few hours Saturday afternoon. “We’re gonna have church today,” pastor Joe A. Carter of New Hope Baptist said to open the service. And so we did.

And when the sermon was over and they carried out her coffin and “I Will Always Love You” soared over the sadness, it didn’t sound like a love song. It sounded like the truth.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Stephen Prothero.

- CNN Belief Blog contributor

Filed under: Celebrity • Christianity • Church • Death • Entertainment • Faith • Houses of worship • Inspiration • Uncategorized

1. A black woman

In Honor of my Sister in Christ Jesus, Whitney Houston,  first, may I
    thank you Whitney  for taking such a courageous destiny and your
    journey was awesome what an amazing journey you concluded with.
    Whitney, you represented  every women from the 80's to this present
    moment. You stood up for women everywhere, all over the world! Ms.
    Houston you showed us how to love and no matter what they said, you
    stood behind your man, Bobby Brown!  Good for you! Whitney Houston you
    ran a good race and Whitney most of all, you kept your faith and
    courage, they could not break you not even in your transformation! You
    are a champion,  I am a fan and I always saw your courage in the news
    on talk shows, you have always had a halo over you, we listen to what
    you had to say, and you helped so many people alone the way. This is
    what I remember most about you, you stood your ground, so many women
    including myself wished we had that kind of courage!  It aways made
    you stand taller and larger than life!  Whitney you done well, you
    fulfill your purpose here on earth! It is time for you to receive your
    golden crown my sister.  A job well done!  Women all over the world
    respected and love your voices and music Ms. Houston!

God would not let the world have you no longer, He surprised you and
    the world when your eyes met His, who can say no to the Lord!  Who can
    resist our Lord and Savor?  Nothing else matters anymore.  Ms.
    Houston, you when out with a bang!  Surprise us all!  Ms Whitney
    Houston I am pretty sure you want us to know, that it has been great
    and we know you  had yourself a lot of fun entertaining us everywhere.
    Thank you, Ms. Houston!

I want to thank you Whitney for being brave, and standing on your own!
     You lived your life to the fullest and you stood tall and your smile
    was the sun light in every eye sight.  It been great knowing you as
    the Star that you are and will  forever be.  God blessed women
    everywhere because of your love songs and what they taught us.  Songs
    of love and trust and even songs of letting go!    Your energy made
    people every where pay attention!  Soul Sister #1!

My sister in God, God never gave you a task that you didn't do with
    all of your heart. When they came up with the word STAR, He had you in
    mind and at the top of the lists of stars.  The sky has always been
    the limit accepted when the sky met you, Whitney!  there was no limit!
    You were and still is bigger than life itself.

Whitney, as a fan, I want you to know you owe the world nothing not
    one little red cent!  Whitney, you gave us everything! You never let
    us down, true, so many search for the bad in people, we know there is
    no rest for the wicked.  You came here with a purpose bigger than
    life.   God knows you went above the call of duty. They did not and
    can not take your dignity. You shine, you ran the good race, you own
    nothing to no one.  You gave us your best and I want you to know I
    will give others by best because of it.

Everyone on earth knows one thing, you brought it on and you brought
    it strong!  Your love was ours always.  Thank you for your voice and
    your songs, I will always be grateful to God for living in this era of
    time, where I am privilege to hear with my ears a voice that touched
    me, pity pat, pity  pat, yes, Ms. Whitney Houston you touched my
    heart!

February 21, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
    • Gem

This was so beautiful and true. Thank you for sharing.

February 22, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  2. Poca

Kim; I absolutely agree with you, and accept your apology, as I am a military spouse. The difference between me and those who you aimed your apology at, is that I am of the opinion that every single human being deserves to be laid to rest with respect. In addition to this, Whitney was a high profile celebrity, and so her send-off was deserving and fitting. Instead of focusing on the negative, people need to pay more attention and value the positive more often.

Bold George; I greatly appreciate you taking the time to explain faith to me as clearly as you could... you are right... Stars like Donnie Mc Kurklin and BeBe & CeCe Winans are excellent examples to add to your dissertation!

Take care!

February 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
  3. kim

I apologize to those of you from the military services that feel slighted or felt that Whitney Houston should'nt have been honored.Every day or every other day I'm hearing thank yous and appreciation for something that you all have done or are about to do.Give this thing with Whitney a week ot two and we will be back singing your praises.

February 21, 2012 at 7:55 pm |
  4. kim

What is all this nonsence about Whitney not being held accountable?Held accontable to whom and what?.She never asked me for anything and who are some of you that thinks she owes you anything.She did'nt ask any of you to feed and clothe her.Some of you listened to her music because you wanted to and attended her concerts because you chose to. And how do you know that people in her family and friends didn't speak to her. No one knows that but those that were close to her.Because, those of us that liked Whitney Houston don't seem to be calling her names and judging her it does not mean that we did't see that she used drugs and alcohol.She was human and made mistakes.We still love her and she deserved to have a decent funeral service.For those of you who did'nt like it you could have turned your channel and watched something else!

February 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  5. kim

To the gentleman that wrote the article i want to say thank you!I have seen so much ugly since whitney Houston died.I have heard so much negativity since the President has been in office.It seems to be so much evil said about black people now.Thank you for behaving like a decent man and not acting like someone without a heart.This is the kind of America that i thought we lived in.What happen to just excepting differences in people and embracing differences,no matter of creed or color.What happen to that kind of America huh?

February 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
    • Monica

Amen Sistah. People are going crazy and saying the ugliest things.. My heart and prayers go out to the Houston-Brown family, I loved Whitney and shall remain a fan, it is not my job to judge her trials and tribulations, cause the lord knows we all have our own demons to deal with, and I personally do not live in a glass house. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us, so folks you better get right with the lord today. Whitney always praised the lord and her father had favor with her, no doubt about it. It doesn't really matter what the people say, cause God knows what was in her heart. So with that said Thank you Ms. Whitney Houston-Brown for blessing the world with the gift God gave you. Everyone pray for Bobbi Kristina and Cissy, Bobbi Kristina has alot to offer the world, pray that she finds peace, good health, joy and happiness in this journey through life, and pray the paparrazi will leave her alone...they are beyond ridiculous.

February 21, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
  6. Poca

Whitney Houston's celebration of her life was dignified and well deserved. People go to the doctor because they are sick, not because they are well. Her life, as experienced by all those she interacted with, was a true testimony to God's forgiveness and unconditional love. I can't comprehend why Americans are so quick to slander each other and cut people down! I used to think that the reader comments in the newspapers in my country were harsh, but after having read so many comments online for various articles dealing with serious matters of race and religion, you all are seriously hateful. For those of you who have done this; this is shameful on your part. After the exclusion of God from so many aspects of life in the USA, look at the state of affairs... Thank God for the few who do in fact keep the faith alive.

February 21, 2012 at 5:43 am |
    • Charlotte-Marie

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • BoldGeorge

@ Poca...

I honestly feel your sentiments in your comment. But I must tell you that faith in God is not something to be taken lightly. In other words, we cannot classify "faith" on our terms or standards, never. According to the bible, there are two types of faith: Human faith (the one that believes or hopes we can do it) and Godly faith (the one that we know we can never do it, but God can). There is a major difference between the two. I seriously didn't want to get technical on this subject but I feel this is the perfect opportunity to elaborate on what faith really means in biblical (spiritual) terms and in our terms (human-wise).

We need to understand (and believe me, it took me forever) that before we can have any faith in God, we need to come to a point of acknowledgement of our sinfulness and how it offends God immensely and then come to repentance, then a willingness to turn from our sins and turn towards God. This is where and how faith comes in. This is all NOT chronological nor is it a process. This is all a combination of progress toward salvation and redemption. After having 1) acknowledged, 2) believed, 3) turned from our sins and turned to Christ...if there has been sincerity in all these 3 points, then God will have saved and justified you through Christ, and there will be an obvious and visible transformation in your thought pattern, your actions, and a yearning to grow closer to Him. You will want to glorify Him in most, if not, all things you do. This is what the bible calls "the evidence" of salvation, not "the works" of salvation, as we can do nothing in it of ourselves to get saved, but just evidence of it.

Now, this does NOT mean we will instantly be perfect and will sin no more. Never! This does mean that you will have a yearning, a desire to know more of God through His word and when you do sin, it will pain you greatly and continue to grow even closer to Him.

Having written all this, I must tell you that none of this is my opinion, as I am not the source of the truth. It is all biblical. So, I am definitely NOT a hater. This is the truest message of love I can ever give you. I have had loved ones pass away without this knowledge of truth and it greatly grieves me to know I have no hope to ever see them again. This is why I believe it is my christian duty and command to help others see that there is a hope in the after-life. You just have to acknowldege, believe and turn from & to.

February 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  7. L

Questions for people who do not believe God exist....

where do you think you get your life from?
    who gives you breath?

February 21, 2012 at 3:58 am |
    • AGuest9

My parents copulated, the egg was fertilized by sperm, formed a zygote, which attached to the uterine wall and began drawing nutrients from my mother. After a few months, I began to form as a fetus, totally dependent on my mother for survival until my gestation period was over and I could survive on my own, after about 8 or 9 months.

The second question doesn't make sense. We evolved to breathe the atmosphere of this planet, like most living things. No one "gives me breath". That is a truly bizarre question.

February 21, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  8. Hello

the funeral was a media circus. An outlandish spectral..
    I do not understand why a group of people who were brought to this country as slaues would support a mythology that supported s!avery. The bible supports and promotes s1avery. It is the myth that was used so drive s1avery.
    Yet the decedents of those s1aves embrace that vulgar myth and its dogma.
    I guess they have never read the bible... just listed to the outlandish interpretation and assume that what they hear is what is really in the bible.. it is not.
    Read Caesar's Messiah to learn the truth of who wrote the bible and why.... Its a JOKE! written by the Romans to control the Jews...
    Whitney was no hero she was a drug and alcohol addict, who through her life away for her addiction.
    She is just one of may entertainers who fell victim to substance abuse. She was her own worst enemy.
    Nothing they claimed about her as a person is true... not one person's so called love was real enough to hold her accountable to her actions. Most of those who claimed to lover her were just leaches on her wealth.
    The golden goose is gone.... now they will have to find another victim to live off.

February 21, 2012 at 1:31 am |
    • Phil

Its obvious you ve merely glanced at the bible and not studied it "babe". The bible puts shame to pride, ego's, and the mistreating of fellow man. Nowhere in those pages does it gives way to slavery and mind you it was written thousands of years ago when kings did have servants, and the word said to treat your servants with Love. Caesars Messiah ? No...How bout you go watch "A trip into the supernatural " on Youtube and tell me if you sleep the same. What are you living for then?? for your soul to go and do what?Do you wake up seeking material gain everyday or do you dedicate your days to making someone else's day better? Thats what Christianity is about, Love. God is Love 1 John 4:8 and The Holy spirit doesnt allow thoughts concurrent with yours to even fester in the mind. You sound bitter and under the influence of the enemy Christians work against. That red guy. Wake up and Live.... the words of Bob Marley. The devil is real and he's beguiled you.

February 21, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • kim

This comment is directed to hello.There are a few statements that you've made that i find some truth in.But,i would like to comment on your anger.Why do you seem so angry,Whitney Houston like many others was not what she did.Drinking alcohol and using drugs do not determine who you are.These people are sons,daughters,uncles,aunts etc.some of these people even manage to hold jobs.Anyone can fall victim to drugs and alcohol it can happen to the best of us.And I'm sorry that you found her funeral a spectical,because to some of us we call that church on Sunday morning.Thats where a lot of us black folks go to find the peace and strength to make it through a crazy ,hectic work week or whatever else we have to endure.Whom ever you are Hello let me say this to you as i said at the beginning of my comment somethings you say do hold some truth.The statement you made concerning using a paticular dogma to control a certain group of people.You should be very grateful for that because that is what keeps a lot of us from not giving people like you what you really deserve.I won't say what that is because I'm pretty sure you understand very well what I mean.Peace be with you!

February 21, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  9. Tchandjalane

Whitney, was a glory of God and she gave us what was missing in our world, Wonderfull lirics

February 21, 2012 at 12:45 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

She had other people write her songs and lyrics for her.

February 21, 2012 at 1:58 pm |
  10. Alyne Champagne

I am 70, loved Whitney Houston... Thank you sooo much for the coverage of the funeral... I found it a wonderful thing for you to do.. It was sad, moving, spiritual, and spell binding... I thoughly enjoyed the entire day... I loved the commentators as well.. Hats off to you all ... Thank you

February 20, 2012 at 10:30 pm |
  11. Anita

The service was very beautiful and I feel Whitney deserved that. Yes, she faltered, but we all do in one way or another. That doesn't mean she wasn't a child of God or that she didn't love him. It did mean she wasn't strong enough to turn down the evil things of this world and that is sad. From what I heard from many speakers was that Whitney loved the Lord and praised him quite often. But what I remember most and touched me most was the raggedy Bible she carried and had marked verses in it. It was like she was trying so hard to do the right thing but something stronger than her had a hold on her and wouldn't let go. It's a real shame. She had a powerhouse voice and while I got a little tired of hearing some of those early songs over and over, I must admit her voice was a one of a kind and I loved many of her songs that only she could sing so beautifully. Rest In Peace Whitney, no earthly demons can tempt you now.

February 20, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
  12. USMC 77

Am I the only one that thinks she is undeserving of all the media attention? While her death was tragic, lets not forget the men and women who paid the ultimate sacrifice for their country and no one in society gives them a second thought. Makes me sad to live in a country that thinks the death of a drug abusing pop singer warrants more notice than patriotic family men and women who give their life for their country.

February 20, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • jlap7777

BoldGeorge, that is right. We had just said the same thing yesterday. and to those who use Matt 7 and 1 about judging out of context often to condone sin. or justify it. The Word of God judges us. Im glad to see a posting rooted from the Word of God. If the celebs were in relationshiip wth Christ they would know how to rightfully divide wth Word of Truth and not tag on a Scruputre to make their point. This is how people will follow the false prophet. gettting plenty of practice now.

February 20, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Robtert

I am a veteran like you are and there is no doubt that great honor should always be paid to our service men and women who go in harms way, but are we so uncharitable to not recognize that all of us, patriot and pauper, rich and poor go to make up our country, death is the great equalizer......all men/women have value.

February 20, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
    • AGuest9

Right there with you, USMC 77. How many of these folks would have watched a 3-hour long military funeral for a stranger on CNN?

February 21, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
  13. Pearl

Don't take life and God given talents for granted, make the best use of them and use it all for a greater glory.
    The greatest cure for anxiety is to lean and trust in God and not anything else(drugs etc.)

February 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  14. Jean T.

Stephen, what a beautiful and well written article, thanks for that. You know, when the songs of praise from the choir and the guests went up, giving honor to the Lord God, and the testimonies from the guests, about the graciousness, love, and tender mercies of the Lord God, they ushered in his divine presence and blessedness, during Whitney's homegoing service. So, what you all felt, was the Power of the Holy Spirit!!

February 20, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
  15. BoldGeorge

I know this is probably not the time to write this as it will definitely not bring anyone of Whitney's fans moods up, but I do not agree with Tyler Perry. Whitney's life did not give any evidence of having loved the Lord. Her life, her beautiful gift in her voice and her ambitions were never geared to grow close to God. If she had, we would all have seen and heard of it, obviously.

1 John 2:15, 17
    Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him (or her)....The world is passing away, and also its lusts; but the one who does the will of God lives forever.

February 20, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • JohnQuest

I suppose since nobody has ever lived forever (not even your Jesus) nobody has ever Loved the Lord.

February 20, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • BoldGeorge

Huh?!? I didn't understand your comment, but I'm sure even an unbeliving toddler would know what that bible verse is stating.

February 20, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
    • Pearl

@George-Whitney's voice was incredible. In her homegoing service her faith was something everyone from Tyler to Costner to her Pastor remembered which is a testament to itself.Unfortunately , somewhere in her life she leaned on drugs which might have led to her untimely demise...but she was human after all... it is a lesson that the only anchor in life is your faith in God.

February 20, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
  16. Jacquie Hays

Saturdays Service was ordained by God, no matter what negativism we heard the entire week about the challenges of Whitney's life. The purpose was already in the mind of God even before God spoke Whitney into existence and she was concevied in her mother's womb, according to Jeremiah 1:5 and Jeremiah 29:11. the expected end in Jeremiah 29:11 was the end that God had for his own expectations of her. Everything she needed, the gifts that God gave were specifically designated for Whitney so that she was able to fulfill that purpose of God in her life. So God knew her end from her beginning, and made Whitney aware of her time on earth and what she had to do to get the attention of the world. Saturday every tv station and the audience of the world was at attention and in a worship service giving glory to God, to hear what God was saying to the world. God is saying that the time is almost up and it behooves every man, woman, boy and girl to check their own life and see where they stand with the almighty G0d. Are you in right Standing which is righteousness or are you going in your own way. The bible says there is a way which seemeth right unto man, but the end thereof is the way of death. Death of the soul and ultimately your life. Whitney loved the Lord, ready her bible, prayed and kept God at the forefront of her mind. Noone can say what her relationship with God was, my question today, what is your relationship with God. CNN did a phenominal job in coverage, but they still have to come to that central location of all worshipers before the almighty God. Whitney's death was a sermon ordained of God.

February 20, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Jacquie Hays, Great Question, My relationship with God is the same as My Relationship with the Santa Claus. I let those Fantasies go when I stated to think as an Adult (Reason and Logic). Neither God nor Santa could withstand common sense, Reason or Logic.

February 20, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

February 20, 2012 at 6:22 am |
    • tea party

It didnt help Whitney

February 20, 2012 at 8:16 am |
    • be careful

Prayer always helps, you do not know if Whitney prayed or what she prayed or how she defined help. You have made a statement concerning something that you know nothing about.

February 20, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • JohnQuest

lakshmanan, You mean like anyone that has ever said anything about God. Seriously, how could anyone Know anything about God, you ever wonder why all the things you like or dislike are the same things God likes or dislikes?

February 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • JohnQuest

Sorry that was meant for be careful

February 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Frank

Thats right. I get sick, I pray, I get better. I get sick, I don't pray, I get better.

February 20, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven

February 20, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • AGuest9

2006 Harvard Prayer Study – faith and prayer are delusions

February 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
  18. lastofall

It is a good thing for any to hear the Word of God, even in the midst of things contrary. The thing which causes a church service to fall short of the glory of God, is when people glorify people.

February 20, 2012 at 5:22 am |
    • JohnQuest

You mean, like when people glorify Jesus?

February 20, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  19. Christian

Finally, this is the best thing Mr. Prothero has written in a while!

February 20, 2012 at 2:52 am |
    • Jack

Nope, probably this is the only ever best written by Prothero. We may need another good funeral service for Prothero's faith to wake up again and before he writes another meaningful peice...until then 😉

February 20, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  20. R. MacLean

Timing of a Funeral

Whitney Houston’s funeral in Newark, New Jersey lasted for three and one-half hours. It was televised live and over the internet from beginning to end.

News directors, editors, anchors, and reporters; all paying close attention to “ratings” and “audience viewing numbers.”

Probably they were “very good” and so it stayed on “live!!”

Did you wonder whether every director struggled “non stop” about terminating the “live” single camera feed and getting this “politically incorrect stuff” off the air?

I’m willing to bet they did – but it never happened!

The shiny casket moved down the church aisle with Whitney singing “I’ll Always Love You” to the very end.

Totally in control of very large media outlets – yet seemingly completely out of their control to change what happened.

November 22, 1963 –– September 11, 2001 –– February 18, 2012

Giant days for news coverage!

Is there a connection?

Stay tuned,

Ron MacLean

February 20, 2012 at 1:11 am |
    • Kelsey

My question: Why did YOU watch? Believe me, the world could have done without your insignificant observation. None of us is "worthy". But "GRACE" makes us worthy and justified before God. In the long run, who will even care that you posted a comment or for that matter me either but the world will always recount the contribution that Whitney Houston gave to music. Get yourself a life Ronnie, no one cares what you think!

February 21, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • AGuest9

Never mind those Iranian war ships that entered the Med during it. No break was made to announce THAT piece of vital information, was there?

February 21, 2012 at 1:57 pm |