home
RSS
February 18th, 2012

Facing death, a top pastor rethinks what it means to be Christian

Editor's Note: The short film accompanying this story, called "My Garden," comes from EdsStory.com. CNN.com is premiering the latest installment in the "Ed's Story" series.

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Ed Dobson is not afraid of dying. It’s the getting there that really scares him.

A former pastor, onetime Christian Right operative and an icon among religious leaders, Dobson has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease. When he was diagnosed, doctors gave him 3 to 5 years to live.

That was 11 years ago.

“I am a tad happy to be talking to you right now,” joked Dobson, whose voice has deteriorated since his preaching days, in a phone interview. Speaking with him feels like being exposed to a brief moment of clarity. He speaks slowly, but with an understated confidence and authority.

As pastor at Calvary Church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, a position he held for 18 years, Dobson would regularly preach to 5,000 people or more on Sundays. Back then, Dobson said he looked at himself as a man filled with lessons, proverbs and, most of all, answers.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

After retirement six years ago, the massive crowds went away.

“I went from 100 miles an hour to zero miles an hour overnight,” Dobson said. “That was a shock to my system.”

Dobson says the answers vanished with the crowds.

“I know that sounds a bit lame,” he said. “I know that that I should have all the answers, but the truth is, the more I live, the fewer answers I have.”

And yet the people Dobson comes in contact with – those who call him dad, husband and friend, or those who have read one of his 12 books and watched his short films, don’t agree with that assessment. To them, the last six years of Dobson’s life have led to a remarkable ability to put life into context. To them, Dobson is a man filled with lessons.

From 5,000 to 1

In the 1980s, Dobson rose to prominence as an executive at the Moral Majority, Jerry Falwell's evangelical political organization, which had influence with the Ronald Reagan White House. Dobson’s rise continued when he accepted the pastorate at Calvary Church in 1987. He cut a national profile, with Moody Bible Institute naming him “Pastor of the Year” in 1993.

After being diagnosed with ALS, Dobson suddenly felt unsure of himself. At times, he said, he didn't want to get out of bed. After years of intense Bible study, Dobson said this is not how he thought he would react to news of his own mortality.

“I thought that if I knew I was going to die, I would really read the Bible and if I really was going to die, I would really pray,” Dobson said. “I found the opposite to be true. I could barely read the Bible and I had great difficulty praying. You get so overwhelmed with your circumstances, you lose perspective.”

Eventually, Dobson regained perspective. But feelings of listlessness led him to take his preaching to a more personal level. He now meets with congregants one-on-one. Sitting with them in their homes or offices, Dobson provides whatever help he can. “Most of the people I meet with have ALS and basically I listen," he said.

“When I meet with someone and look into their eyes, it is like I am looking into their soul,” Dobson said. “We are both broken, we are both on the journey and we are both fellow pilgrims.”

Going from 5,000 congregants to one at a time was a big change for Dobson, forcing him to reevaluate his job as a pastor. “I am trying to learn that one-on-one is just as important as speaking to thousands,” he said. “I reemphasize – I am trying to learn that.”

During his one-on-one meetings, Dobson says he remembers Adam and Eve being charged by God to work the Garden of Eden. For years Dobson’s garden was Calvary Church – the baptisms, weddings, the Sunday preaching.

“Whether it is preaching to 5000 or meeting one on one, I am trying to take care of the garden,” he said.

The wind knocked out

One way Dobson strove to tend the garden is by writing a book about dealing with serious illness. In 2007, he wrote “Prayers and Promises When Facing a Life-Threatening Illness.”

Dobson’s son Daniel read the book while deployed in Iraq. After returning home, Daniel made it his mission to turn the book’s stories into videos.

He pitched the idea to Steve Carr, the executive director of a faith-focused production company called Flannel. “When I met Ed, when he came to our office, something really spoke to me,” Carr said. “Not too long before that, I had been diagnosed with Leukemia.”

“I thought that this guy, he has been where I am right now and he has somehow mastered it,” Carr said.

So far, Flannel has released five Dobson films, available through the company's website. There are plans for two more. Though the films range in topic, from loss and forgiveness to healing and growth, all are centered on lessons Dobson learned through his battle with ALS. The videos toe the line between a dark look at a dying man's life and an uplifting glimpse at someone who exudes clarity.

"My Garden," the most recent title in the series, centers on Ed’s struggle to deal with ending his preaching career.

Dobson talks about the films as if they are his swan song, his last words of encouragement to a group of supporters he has inspired for decades.

“My desire is that people who have had the air knocked out of them, whether divorce or losing a loved one or illness, that they will get a sense of hope by watching the films,” he said.

Surviving (with help)

The series’ first short film opens with Dobson explaining what it was like to be told he had ALS. After lying in bed, Dobson gets in the shower, brushes his teeth and starts the day. Even he would admit, however, it is not that easy.

Dobson has lost much of the function in his hands and is seen struggling to brush his teeth, his frail body using two hands on the small brush. Though he is able to do a lot, including drive, Dobson wouldn’t be able to make it on his own, a fact he is keenly aware of when about when describing his wife, Lorna.

“She is my right hand, my left hand, my left foot, my right foot, my heart and my brain,” Dobson said. “Without her, it would be impossible to go on.”

Standing in the kitchen in one video, Lorna helps puts Ed’s belt and gloves on. The two don’t speak on camera, but their love is obvious.

“Our love has grown each year of marriage,” Lorna said. “I didn’t want to just wither in the sorrow of how our life was changing. It took a while to get used to what our life was going to be like but I realized that I needed to be more available to him.”

Dobson says he is also more available to her.

“I am no longer a preacher,” said Dobson. “Today, I would say I am a Jesus follower. Period.”

Lorna said she continues to learn from her husband. Throughout their life together, she said she learned by being in church with him, by raising three kids together and by loving one another.

The last 11 years, however, their love has changed. Dobson's illness has taught her to focus on the important things, she said, primarily their kids and five grandkids.

After tending the garden for decades, Dobson is now being tended himself, largely by Lorna. “ALS forced me into a situation where I grew in understanding of what it means to obey Jesus,” Dobson said in the latest film.

“It took me quite a while to find an alternative purpose," he said. "But the good news is out there – there is a purpose for everyone.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Belief • Christianity • Death • United States

soundoff (3,195 Responses)
  1. Mose Olm

A powerful share, I simply given this onto a colleague who was doing a bit of evaluation on this. And he actually purchased me breakfast as a result of I discovered it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the deal with! However yeah Thnkx for spending the time to debate this, I really feel strongly about it and love studying extra on this topic. If potential, as you turn out to be experience, would you thoughts updating your weblog with extra particulars? It's extremely useful for me. Huge thumb up for this weblog submit!

August 12, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
  2. Liane Mcroyal

This website is known as a stroll-by way of for the entire data you wished about this and didn�t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you�ll positively uncover it.

August 11, 2013 at 1:25 pm |
  3. Donnell Nebred

This is the proper blog for anyone who needs to seek out out about this topic. You understand so much its virtually hard to argue with you (not that I truly would wantHaHa). You undoubtedly put a new spin on a topic thats been written about for years. Great stuff, just great!

August 11, 2013 at 5:52 am |
  4. Virgie Futrelle

This web page is mostly a walk-by for all of the info you wanted about this and didn�t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you�ll definitely discover it.

August 11, 2013 at 3:19 am |
  5. Edison Andeson

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one. I mean, I know it was my choice to read, but I actually thought youd have something interesting to say. All I hear is a bunch of whining about something that you could possibly fix if you happen to werent too busy on the lookout for attention.

August 10, 2013 at 7:26 am |
  6. Leopoldo Gencarelli

It�s laborious to search out knowledgeable folks on this subject, but you sound like you already know what you�re talking about! Thanks

August 9, 2013 at 3:22 am |
  7. Veronica Stlouis

This site is really a walk-by means of for the entire data you wished about this and didn�t know who to ask. Glimpse here, and you�ll positively discover it.

August 6, 2013 at 3:13 am |
  8. Gus Wadel

An impressive share, I just given this onto a colleague who was doing a little analysis on this. And he in fact bought me breakfast because I found it for him.. smile. So let me reword that: Thnx for the treat! But yeah Thnkx for spending the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love reading more on this topic. If attainable, as you become expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more details? It is highly helpful for me. Massive thumb up for this blog publish!

August 5, 2013 at 5:01 am |
  9. Wilmer Borglum

An interesting dialogue is worth comment. I think that you need to write extra on this topic, it might not be a taboo topic however generally people are not sufficient to talk on such topics. To the next. Cheers

August 5, 2013 at 3:10 am |
  10. Providencia Stanzione

Spot on with this write-up, I really suppose this web site wants way more consideration. I�ll most likely be once more to learn way more, thanks for that info.

August 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm |
  11. Milford Meuser

An fascinating discussion is value comment. I feel that you must write more on this matter, it won't be a taboo subject but usually individuals are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

August 3, 2013 at 3:04 am |
  12. Juan Belew

I�d must test with you here. Which isn't one thing I normally do! I get pleasure from studying a put up that can make folks think. Additionally, thanks for permitting me to remark!

August 1, 2013 at 3:49 am |
  13. Shantelle Knispel

I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks in your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.

July 31, 2013 at 3:27 am |
  14. Earlene Bedocs

You've got a stunning portrait of Rebecca Van Dyck. From a Levi's Director of Marketing to Head of Marketing, Facebook, this lady need to be a marketing genius.

July 23, 2013 at 3:04 am |
  15. Emre

Jay Posted on Hai Habibie, sebelumnya skesus n salut ya buat andaoh iya, saya mau tanya;1. berapa banyak profit yang bisa didapatkan jika saya menerapkan metode dari e-book yang anda keluarkan skesusdariamazon 2. Saya memang orang yang baru di bidang internet dan saya sangat tertarik sekali dengan e-book anda,mohon bantuannya dan arahannya karea saya ingin belajar dari mentor yang tepat seperti anda.3. Berapa lama kira2 bisa mendapatkan dollar pertama dari metode e-book anda.;..mohon balasannya ke e-mailku ya.. thx beforesukses selalu

November 8, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  16. Roko Ris

Brother, check this new movie Under Our Skin. It seems many researchers believe Lou Gehrig's Disease has to do with Lyme Disease as the other person said above. There is free viewing this week from Dr Mercola's site.

October 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm |
  17. Julia

Much love to you all, my fellow humans; regardless of belief system, type of system or lack there of. Each of us shares a common destiny that quite frankly scares me stupid...but it makes me feel compassion for every last one of us.

October 7, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
  18. icon designs

I am sorry, that has interfered... This situation is familiar To me. I invite to discussion.

P.S. Please review Archive Toolbar Icons from Ikonga

September 18, 2012 at 2:32 am |
  19. icon set

I apologise, but, in my opinion, you commit an error. Let's discuss. Write to me in PM, we will talk.

P.S. Please review People Toolbar Icons from designesticons

September 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  20. icon-design

I am final, I am sorry, but you could not paint little bit more in detail.

P.S. Please review our icons for Windows and windows12icons.

September 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm |