home
RSS
February 21st, 2012

Jeremy Lin emerges as emblem of burgeoning Asian-American Christianity

By Steve Almasy, CNN

(CNN) - When Jeremy Lin was a sophomore at Harvard, he was struggling emotionally. A good guard on an awful basketball team – the Crimson finished the season with an 8-22 record – he needed something more than hoops.

Lin, who had been baptized into an evangelical Chinese church near San Francisco in ninth grade and had come to value Christian fellowship through his youth group, was part of the  Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Christian Fellowship group, regularly attending Bible study.

But most of his life was spent with his basketball teammates and other athletes, he later told the Student Soul, a website of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

“It’s a tough environment and if you don’t have appropriate boundaries, you’ll compromise your faith,” he told the website, run by a major Christian college ministry, in 2010.

So, during his sophomore year, Lin stepped up his involvement in the Asian-American Christian group, about 80 members strong, gaining a sense of community that had eluded him.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Those kinds of stories are becoming increasingly commonplace as more second generation Asian-Americans like Lin join campus Christian groups, said Carolyn Chen, who directs Asian-American Studies at Northwestern University.

"What's happening at the college level, for students this is a really important time and this is a really important form of community," Chen said. "It is also somewhat like an extended family for them."

According to the latest census, the Asian population in the United States grew by 43.3% between 2000 and 2010, the largest percentage increase of any ethnic or racial group. Asians make up just under 5% of the population.

Asian-American Christianity, experts say, is growing along with that population boom, especially among second generation Chinese-Americans. Jeremy Lin, whose parents are from Taiwan and who talks openly about his Christian faith, has become a symbol of that trend.

Pyong Gap Min , a sociology professor at Queens College in New York, said there has been growth in the number of Asian-America Christian churches, though it is hard to get reliable numbers on the size of the community.

But Min said the number of Pan-Asian churches is increasing, especially on the West Coast, where congregations that have traditionally been dominated by one ethnicity have become multiethnic. Many of those churches are adding services specifically for second generation Asian-Americans, many of whom want services in English.

Chen said more Asian-Americans are also joining traditionally white evangelical congregations.

“You see Asians gaining more visibility in American evangelical circles,” Chen said. “What you are seeing is more integration.”

Lin grew up in Chinese churches. On college campuses, Asian Christian groups have grown up separately from the InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

Jeremy Yang, a senior at Harvard who sits on the board of the Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Christian Fellowship, said his group offers a place where faith and culture intersect. Students feel comfortable being with and sharing their faith with other Asian-Americans, he said.

The Harvard group began in 1994 as part of the Harvard-Radcliffe Christian Fellowship. So many Asians joined their Bible study that the founders decided to form a separate entity, he said.

“The growth was really explosive,” he said. “There is something about being Asian-American that attracted people into the fellowship.”

Fenggang Yang, author of “Chinese Christians in America: Conversion, Assimilation, and Adhesive Identities” and a professor at Purdue University, said Asians are drawn to Christianity partly by values that dovetail with Asian culture, including thrift, education and family.

“In that way it helps them assimilate into the U.S. culture while preserving important aspects of their cultures,” he wrote in an e-mail.

Evangelicals tend to have a value system that fits a widely held Asian desire for order and success, he writes in his book, adding via e-mail that Lin is being lifted up as an example of those values.

Despite being a superstar in high school, Lin received no scholarship offers to college. And despite being a high-scoring player by his senior year in college, he didn't get drafted by the NBA.

Lin signed a free agent contract with the Golden State Warriors and seemed to get in the game only when his team was way ahead or far behind.

The Warriors sent him down to a developmental league, where he fought emotional battles while on long, late-night bus rides, he told an audience at River of Life Christian Church in Santa Clara, California, last year.

Lin, who until last month was sitting on his third bench in his short pro career, was given a chance to play when some fellow New York Knicks were injured. He responded with a record-setting stretch of games in which he scored more points in his first five starts than stars like Michael Jordan or Allen Iverson had over a similar number of games.

As a student, Lin led what the Harvard-Radcliffe Asian American Christian Fellowship calls a "family group," a small group devoted to Bible study and praying for others.

"A lot of people looked up to him because he was good at sports and really solid in his faith," said Yang, the Harvard senior.

Lin, who has said he may become a pastor someday, credits his rise as a professional athlete to understanding the way God was working in his life and developing a trust in God’s plan.

"I've surrendered that to God. I'm not in a battle with what everybody else thinks anymore," he told the San Jose Mercury News last week.

But there have been plenty of struggles.

When he was sent down to the minor league the first time, Lin told a church group last year, he turned to his pastor, Stephen Chen, at the Church in Christ in Mountain View, California. Chen told him to spend an hour a day with God.

Lin memorized a few Bible verses, Chen says, including a passage from Paul’s letter to the Romans in the New Testament that reads in part: “We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.”

Chen told CNN's Sandra Endo last week that Lin doesn't believe in a prosperity gospel, where having great faith means everything will always work out.

"It's true hard things may come and you're not guaranteed an outcome but through it all, there'll be joy because you're walking with the Lord," Chen said. "The greatest joy you could have. Greater joy than being a professional NBA basketball player all-star."

Michael Chang, a Taiwanese-American who was once the second ranked tennis player in the world, said Lin will need to keep a balance in his life that can be hard in the world of competitive sports.

Sports stars are offered a tricky platform, said Chang, who now plays tennis on the Champions Tour and runs a Christian foundation that administers several sports leagues. People will listen to your every word, but they also watch your every move, waiting to see what you will do in public, he said. They  equate your value with your success or lack of it in the spotlight.

"As believers, we don't measure it that way," Chang said. "For us, it's going out there, knowing the Lord, and being able to take all the talents and gifts that you've been given and use that as a platform to  touch lives and touch hearts."

Lin told the Mercury News that his own battle as a believer continues.

"There is so much temptation to hold on to my career even more now," Lin told the paper. "To try to micromanage and dictate every little aspect. But that's not how I want to do things anymore. I'm thinking about how can I trust God more? How can I surrender more?

"It's a fight,” he said. “But it's one I'm going to keep fighting."

- Producer/Writer

Filed under: Christianity • Sports

1. Ex Atheist

Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things...

† Atheism makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things.
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, alcoholics and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate!

†† Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator ††

February 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

I dislike angry, preachy internet Atheists but based on what you just posted you are no better than them.

February 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Ok, maybe not that stupid, but don't encourage the trolls.

February 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

hahaha. Christians sure hate facts. reverse almost everything you said and you'll have the truth.

Atheists are generally more educated, divorce less, go to prison less and know more about the bible than Christians.

February 21, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Thanks Ex. You can add that most atheists are atheists because they are sociopaths or were conditioned by sociopaths to hate Jesus' truth.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

HS
      Just in keeping with tradition, please tell us all what Jesus' truth is. Then we can settle this whole deal.

February 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I'm not falling for your circular arguments. You want to know what Christians have written on this site? Do you homework and read back articles for the last year.

Besides, I love finding out who's an atheist. Explains to me who I should stay far away from.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

LIke I said, just tradition, but HS refuses to tell us what the truth of Jesus is, even thought that is the foundation on which she props up all of her posts. Thank you for not dissappointing HS.

February 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Orifice, jump through your own hoops. You atheists are good at that ... always going for the "A" no matter how much nonsense it is ... parrot any professors lately? LOL.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Easy on the Brandy HS, I have NO idea what you just said there....

February 21, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

1's a nutso religious zealot and the other is a smug, racist atheist.

You both are fools. The world would be better off without either of you.

February 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm |

OK, so JT
      You are dumb, you can't win an argument, so you want to kill us? Nice.

February 21, 2012 at 10:23 pm |
    • tallulah13

I doubt you are an ex-atheist. I suspect you are just another christian who thinks it's okay to break the commandment about lying if you do so in an effort to bash people who don't believe exactly what you do.

February 22, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Ex Atheist
      Now THAT is good trolling!
      Well done, sir.

February 22, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • JoJo

Isn't it amusing that Christ's followers rarely act like he asked them to act? Judgemental, bigoted, unforgiving, assuming, hateful... I've met a few good Christians, but the vast majority of them act nothing like Christ. Also, the most horrible thing in the world is to indoctrinate a child. You take all the choice away from them, basically brainwashing them into believing what YOU think is right. I guess God wants sheep who can't think for themselves. Religion really is a scourge. Talk about uneducated.

February 22, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • EarthTest

Nice description of your intolerance. It's good to see it in list form.

February 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Chuck

Gothic lifestyle? really??? I guess I have thought a few Gothic chics were hot though.

February 26, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  2. JeremyTebow

More people will respect Lin than they do Tebow because due to the white guilt liberals have it's very hard for them to criticize minorities.That said, they are starting to bash Asians more since Asian countries are becoming very wealthy and they are doing so because of hard work and not relying on past blame as an excuse for why they can't succeed unlike a lot of African Americans. Oh boy look at that, I said the truth quick, someone label me as a racist!

February 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

I don't think you are racist, just stupid.

February 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

because?

February 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
    • HeavenSent

You're divide and conquer technique isn't working with it comes to those of us that walk the truth of Jesus. True Christians are true Christians no matter how we are packaged.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Because JT, you are making accusations without substantiation. If you make statements that serious, you better be able to offer up some facts. You have not. You did not. That is why.

February 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm |

Hey HS, what's up?

1. Who are you talking to?
      2. Which of the 38000+ different kinds of Christians are you referring to. So you are the right kind? And you believe because....

February 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

My statement is one of those common sense backed up ones. Are you truly going to tell me a large portion of Obama's supporters didn't vote for him just because he was black? You are going to tell me white people don't overcompensate when in front of blacks to show Hey man i'm not racist! How many times do you see (or maybe even you do) comments white people do where they deride their own race. "What do I know, I'm stupid and white". You see it EVERYWHERE and it needs to stop because it's still racist. Swinging the racism pendulum the other way is not the solution. Again, you want peer reviewed data I can't get you that but if you notice as vocal as Lin is about his god (and he thanks him at the end of every game like Tebow) he doesn't get nearly as much hate. It's because Lin is not white. It really is sad how people are terrified to criticize people because they don't want to be seen as a racist. That's not how I live my life.

February 21, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

JT, you wrote a lot, but you said nothing. I don’t agree with a single thing you said. YOU are clearly a racist. My experience is completely different because I am NOT a racist. I enjoy my white friends and neighbors, by black friends and neighbors, my Filipino wife and ALL the relative that come with that. MY lovely children and there is not one single molecule in me that blames society’s ills on the color of one’s skin. Race is just as absurd as God. YOU are the problem.

February 21, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Orifice, put it this way. I have more than a 50 % chance of meeting then getting to know a person who is truly decent and honest who professes they are a Christian. I have 0 chances meeting a decent atheist because you're all on the wrong path in life. Blinded by that truth, you'll continue to argue. That's my reality that was proven to me by atheist and I'm standing my ground on this truth.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

Alien you are the problem. I bet the kind of person I listed is exactly what you are. You hang out with your black friends and can't go 5 minutes without mentioning MLK, Obama or how you are a stupid white person. Thanks to people like you, with their misguided sense of hatred and race relations racism will never go. The goal is for a colorblind society. If a white man messes up you call him out on it. Same for a black man. Unfortunately if you say anything negative about an African American you get branded a racist by Al Sharpton and racist zealots such as yourself. Anything and everything is a race topic and Africans are immune to all criticism. Notice I keep saying Africans. Hispanics and Asians have done a lot to bring their status and place in the world to the respectable place it is now. They do it without whining and without playing the race card. African Americans do that and "stupid white people" such as yourself enable it. Fools like you are the biggest racists on the planet and don't even know it. Why do you hate your own race so much?

February 21, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Well of course HS, that makes perfect sense.

Because I am an atheist, the fact that I am happily integrated in a multi-cultural community and have kids who are both Asian and Caucasian; Because I give to charity until it hurts (and it does sometimes), because I am involved in my community and participate as an active parent in all of my children's activities. AND because I am at peace with myself and do not force my beliefs on my family. I am bad. Okey Donkey.

February 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • HeavenSent

I truly am happy for you Alien Orifice. I just hope it stays that way throughout your life.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 10:11 pm |

JT
      Why are you so concerned with making me out to be a bad person? I am not. I am not a racist. I treat everyone the same. I don't see color. I don't care. I love all people. Is that so foreign to you that you cannot accpet it?

February 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Orifice, I agree. Love everyone and just be terribly terribly nice, but you know, intellectually honest and anatomically correct at the same time.

February 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Thank you HS, you have never said anything nice to me before. You do realize that I am an athiest right? But you can deal with that? Good for you.

February 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

I'm not out to make you look like a bad person, I'm just telling you how it is. Consider my words next time you talk to your black friends and you feel like you have to bring yourself down a notch just to be at their level. Also realize if you weren't a closest racist, you wouldn't have to do things like that and you would see each other equally. Guys like you are a dime a dozen. Smug, super liberal, super atheist and filled with white guilt. Probably have an over-privileged background too. I hate racism and want it to end. People like you don't help one bit and you need to stop. Self depreciating racism is still racism. Put an end to it.

February 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

JT, why do you lack self confidence so much. I don't look at skin color. I already told you that. You are pathentic dude!

February 21, 2012 at 10:36 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

Yes you do. You don't realize it but deep down inside you see blacks as inferior so you have to joke about yourself and bring yourself down because the truth is no black is as smart or at your level. They need YOUR help (Mr. White Guy) because they are all dumb and can't take care of themselves. That's all deep down in your guilt soaked psyche. Instead of wasting your time smugly rolling your eyes at religious fanatics why not sit on this fact for a day or two and work to correct your racism?

February 21, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Marcus

The faithless have a always bash someone that believes in God and Jesus... it is always ok for Islam or Jews though and if they are persecuted it is the end of the world but a Christian who is persecuted? Wow... what is the big deal?

February 21, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

What does that even mean?

February 21, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Marcus, good post. It takes courage to live as a Christian. Cowards are a dime a dozen and don't believe in anything. That's why they are going out of their way to destroy us. Whitney Houston reminded us how she was in Post Traumatic Stress and was given prescription drugs due to trying to figure out those that CAN'T love and only give everyone LIP SERVICE.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

What does that even mean? Again.

February 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • Marcus

Next time I will proof read closer... what I meant is that the faithless, as shown here on the commentary, will always bash Christians. Jews and Muslims get the free gravy boat train of religion preservation as where we Christians get persecuted and ridiculed all the time. Christians are more likely throughout the world to be persecuted by the Islamic faith based societies .. please find me a Christian based society where they punish those who are not Christian anymore? China is a leading example where Christians are persecuted and freedom limited to the teaching of Jesus.

February 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
  4. Theophilus

Well, I've got to go to bed. I fully expect that when I check back in the morning, the right-thinking atheists will have once again proven, once and for all, that God does not exist – if not by their pure logic ("prove it!" "you're stupid," "only weak minds need an invisible man in the sky...") then by blunt force of their nastiness.

February 21, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Nighty nite robot.

Remember your oil can in the morning.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • Jesus

Be sure to say a prayer to your invisible and imaginary friend in the sky. If tragedy befalls you and yours in spite of your prayers, I am sure you will write it off to God's will or that God works in mysterious ways or that God wanted to have your deceased loved one nearer to Him. It's all part of your DELUSION.

February 22, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  5. jdoe

The news media makes a big deal out of race and religion, and people fall for it. I'm sure Lin wants to be known as a great NBA player, not for a great Christian Asian-American player. That's would be too easy because he's the only one at this time. The media is diminishing him by running these non-stories.

February 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

I want to like him. I do. LIke Time Tebow, he is a mediocre pro athlete but both of them inspire their teams and communities. But as soon as all the god nonsense gets in the way of the realy story, I have to tune out.

February 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • JeremyTebow

Tim Tebow isn't even the most religious player in the NFL or even on the Denver Broncos believe it or not. The media just blew him up. He doesn't deserve the hate he gets. The man genuinely has a kind heart and he takes care of kids with special needs and terminal diseases all the time. He builds hospitals in the Philippines during the off season. Compare that to the rapists and idiots that shoot themselves in the legs in night clubs and I don't understand the hate.

February 21, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • Jesus

It's sad to see an Asian with such a rich Buddhist tradition trying so hard to fit in that he feels that he has to adopt the dominant religion in the USA.....Christianity. I guess that makes him more marketable.

February 22, 2012 at 8:56 am |
  6. Kat

I live in an area with a lot of Chinese and Korean families, most of them recent immigrants or first-generation, and I've seen more and more of them join our church. I think it's a great thing. They're very active in helping out at the church, they're very dedicated community service workers, and they're very happy to share their culture and heritage with us. It's wonderful to see an old, entirely-white community like mine get some fresh new faces with new viewpoints. God bless them.

February 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Why does it have to be about religion? Can't they just move in and be accepted?

February 21, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Alien Orifice, we can say the same thing about political correctness that's been shoved down everyone's throats for 40 years.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
  7. Kyle

What you need to do is stop being so anti- God , an Accept that there is a King who died for your sins , instead of attacking Believers in true love , an being closer to Christ , You should respect , before you get slapped with John 3:16 across your face , because the day will come when Gods grace is going to be sucked up , and your going to want to repent but you know what there aint going to be another chance , So I say God bless your life , And I pray Jesus comes into your life , Because He will call all man to himself . 🙂

February 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, I'm just SO touched by your concern for me as a person. The way you threaten me with eternal damnation is truly inspiring. I can hardly WAIT to worship a deity who hates his own creation.

February 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Kyle, I say, have a great life even though nobody is "blessing" it. I hope you don't get hosed by some horrible dicease and I hope life is good for you. No need for god. Just work hard and good luck. Life is random my friend. And hey, do the God thing if you want, but many of us don't buy it. Accept that. And remember I am the one that has to put up with all your ugly churches alll over town and the traffic. I do my thing at home. Green!

February 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
  8. Faith

Lin-A couple of things about your faith that stands out and shows you are a wise Christian

1) understanding the way God was working in his life and developing a trust in God’s plan
    2)“We also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope.”

Awesome, wish you the best!

February 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm |

Faith
      1. God has no plan. There is no God.
      2. Lin, and many millions just like him, have character that comes from within. His success is due to hard work and good for him.
      3. He will be back on the bench after the all-star break. 15 minutes....14 minutes......13 min.......

February 21, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • Faith

You measure people by their success but the wise man Lin already knows what true success means and that is relying on his faith in God.
      He is a wise man now how about you???

February 21, 2012 at 9:05 pm |

Faith,
      No, I am not wise. I am ignorant. No human can profess to be wise. Are you the person who decides who is wise and who is not? Believing in fairy tales about god does not seem wise to me. I freely admit that I do not have the faculties to understand the universe and I am perfectly happy understanding my imperfections. I am disgusted by the arrogance of Christians or of any religion who pretends to "know" anything.

February 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • Faith

A wise person knows and understands that they do not know what the future holds but are rest assured when they begin to develop that trust in God and see God's work fulfilled in their lives.

It is not about holding on but letting go, letting God mold and shape one's life and seeing a master piece evolve through that process. Lin's faith seems to reflect perfectly his trust in God's plan for his life!

February 21, 2012 at 9:20 pm |

Faith
      Let me re-phrase since you didn't seem to get my point.

I DO NOT BELIIVE IN GOD. I THINK PEOPLE THAT DO ARE REMARKABLEY STUPID BUT I TOLERATE THEM. YOUR PREACHY LITTLE POSTS SERVE ONLY TO MAKE ME GIGGLE AND YET AT THE SAME TIME FEEL BAD THAT YOU ARE THUSLY INDOCRINATED INTO A FANTASY LIFE STYLE THAT SERVES NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO SOOTHE YOUR FEAR OF DEATH.

Thanks.

February 21, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Faith

I have been studying (compare and contrast) two kings-King Saul and King David and Lin's faith reminds me of one of them.
      Beware, you are in the belief blog and you will be surrounded by the Faithful. Faith is contagious!

Today is your day; Have Faith in God.

February 21, 2012 at 9:46 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Orifice, are you and Tommie, Tom the same person? If so, you won't have to share the bar of soap to wash your mouth out. Too bad the soap didn't wash the nonsense between the gray matter. Oh, that's Jesus' job.

I'll continue to pray for both of you.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

My orifices only seem alien to you HeavenSent.

February 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
    • HeavenSent

Thank you Jesus for not having to endure future nightmares due to Tommie, Tom's out of control, narcissism, that REAL people don't CARE at all for your desperate acts to get attention tommy.

Amen.

February 21, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  9. @Theophilus

The sad part about this is that while most of us will write off Theophilus as a inbred racist Southern troll, he is actually most likely a highly educated minority (Asian American?) who is bitterly railing against the more insidious and dangerous type of racism employed by "well-meaning" educated white progressives.

February 21, 2012 at 8:27 pm |
    • Theophilus

I am a minority. I'm just well-meaning and educated!

🙂

February 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm |
  10. Theophilus

After Linsanity wears off, I say put that calculus-knowing nerd to work on Biden's high speed rail line, or in one of FDR's concentration camps. And if that doesn't knock some nihilist sense into him, the least he could do is press my shirts for $1

February 21, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
  11. Prayer makes stupid people even fatter

Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer makes you fart uncontrollably and makes people avoid being near you.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

February 21, 2012 at 8:01 pm |
    • Ex Atheist

People brainless like you is the reason why I left Atheism....

February 21, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • Helomoto

Please, take your negativity and GTFO. NO ONE CARES WHAT YOU THINK....

February 21, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • lukas

Wow, what a narrow minded opinion...

February 21, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
  12. Theophilus

Let's forget prayer for a moment and figure out a way to demonize that crafty little slope from Harvard the same way we did that crazy nut Tim Tebow!

February 21, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
  13. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out about his posterior frothy specialties.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer wastes time.

February 21, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things
      Need proof? See post above

February 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Theophilus

Prayer makes you care about the poor too. Eeeewww!

February 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Prayer makes stupid people even fatter

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you even fatter.
      Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
      Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
      Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
      Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
      Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
      Prayer dulls your senses.
      Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

February 21, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • lukas

In fact, if you knew the power of prayer, you probably wouldn't be posting this stupid crap

February 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  14. Theophilus

And!!! I want to be the first to call for the resignation of Harvard's president. How could anyone receive a degree from there and come out a Christian??? Someone was asleep at the switch.

February 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  15. Theophilus

Point of clarification!!! I don't like blacks who speak proper English if they are Condi Rice, C. Powell, or other traitors for the cause of "my kids will always do better than yours, and thus rule over them through paternalism"

February 21, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • @Theophilus

White NPR liberals love: blacks, Latinos, middle-income nonprofit workers
      White NPR liberals hate: Asians (whose studiousness and pro-business leanings threaten their racial-class dominance), middle-income business workers

February 21, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  16. @Theophilus

I find your comment extremely... funny. NPR liberal America is just as guilty of hypocrisy and coded racism as the poor/working-class whites that they despise.

February 21, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Theophilus

The only blacks I like – but do not know, or associate with – talk like white folks, or Maya Angelou

February 21, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  17. June

Whats really important is our life is consistent with the faith we profess. Many people say they are Christian and a believer of Jesus Christ but when you look at their life they continue to live a lifestyle of sin.

February 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by June is an instance of the No True Scotsmen fallacy.

February 21, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • BlogHaha

Mister Chong , should just stick to PING PONG

HAHAHAHAHAAHA

February 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • fallacy spotting 101 ejected

You call fallacies against only one group

and fail to call them against your own

and have now opened all of your posts to scrutiny.

February 21, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
  18. Theophilus

I'm torn here. I want to be seen as "multicultural", "tolerant", and a "citizen of the world" and therefore, overly proud of that little yellow menace of the hard court. Furthermore, I'm partial to Ivy Leaguers, even though I did not attend one of those schools myself. And, at least when I cheer for Lin, I'm not cheering for one of those scary, tattooed, ghetto-dwelling porch monkies, but, and here's my conundrum, I hate Jesus freaks! What's an NPR liberal to do???

Can someone help me out?

February 21, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

You need to start going to AA meetings (A-h0les Anonymous) and try their 12 stepper you r.a.c.i.s.t dik head.

February 21, 2012 at 6:54 pm |
    • Theophilus

No! You've got me all wrong! I hate scary blacks and religious folks as much as you! How do I root for ivy league slope heads, and against religious kooks at the same time?

February 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm |

Troll

February 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • JohnR

Your problem is that you are an idiot, Theophilus. I am an Ivy Leaguer, a non-believer and I have no problem saying I like Jeremy Lin as much as I don't like Tim Tebow, which is quite a lot. Lin is an example of a truly unselfish player and true team leader. I wish him great success and indeed expect it of him.

February 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Theophilus

I'm with you JohnR! Slopes from harvard are good – even if they're delusional! Porch monkies from Camden are bad and scary and only belong on All Things Considered as a kind of sympathy/reparations piece!

February 21, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  19. Alien Orifice

Lin is an American basketball player. Talent wise I would call him John Starks of 2012. What does being Asian have to do with anything. He is American. Does anyone remember Yao Ming? He was Asian. So quickly forgotton. I spoke to my friend Sports Fan today and he was reminded of the first black hockey player in the NHL, Willie O'Ree. He became hockey's version of Jackie Robinson on Jan. 18, 1958, when he made his NHL debut with the Boston Bruins.

February 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm |
  20. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 21, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

Proven (No need to thank me.)

February 21, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
    • Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you fat.
      Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
      Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
      Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
      Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
      Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
      Prayer dulls your senses.
      Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

February 21, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things
      For proof see post above

February 21, 2012 at 7:38 pm |