home
RSS
Report of Quran burning sparks protests at Afghan base
February 21st, 2012

Report of Quran burning sparks protests at Afghan base

Hundreds of demonstrators gathered outside the Baghram Airfield in Afghanistan on Tuesday, spurred by reports that soldiers had burned a copy of the Quran at the base.

NATO officials acknowledged that Islamic religious materials, including copies of the Quran, had been improperly disposed at the base, but could not definitely say whether any was burned.

"We think very little was disposed (of)," said Col. Gary Kolb. "We don't think any was burned because we were able to recover most of the materials."

The commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan quickly apologized and said he had launched an investigation.

FULL STORY

- Newsdesk editor, The CNN Wire

Filed under: Afghanistan • Islam • Quran

1. Nii Croffie

Afghanistan and Pakistan are in South Asia aka Indian sub-continent not the Middle East. Besides that most middle East countries are peaceful to about the same degree as USA.

February 22, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  2. Nii Croffie

Spiritual abuse is a crime perpetrated by well meaning BUT misguided individuals(REALITY) by spreading halftruths to unsuspecting people(AGuest9) to keep them in an unhealthy situation(ATHEISM). the abused feel obliged to defend and even praise the accuser. Recovery is hard because of addictiveness.

February 22, 2012 at 9:31 am |
  3. Muneef

Was is a copy or many copies of the Quran at the base? Wonder how the Quran copies have reached the base? Why were the Quran copies at the base? Were they collected from the people to be all burnt at the base? nothing is clear here...!

February 21, 2012 at 6:28 pm |
    • Islam is one sick crew

Nothing is clear in the idolatrous Koran either.

February 21, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • Muneef

You speak as if you had a chance to read it...!! I bet you can't read it fearing to burn out as Satan would if he tries reading it... 😉

February 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Reality

One more time in order to stop polluting the air by burning korans or bibles or the book of mormon:

-from the studies of Armstrong, Rushdie, Hirsi Ali, Richardson and Bayhaqi

The Five Steps To Deprogram 1400 Years of Islamic Myths:
      ( –The Steps take less than two minutes to finish- simply amazing, two minutes to bring peace and rationality to over one billion lost souls- Priceless!!!)

Are you ready?

Using "The 77 Branches of Islamic "faith" a collection compiled by Imam Bayhaqi as a starting point. In it, he explains the essential virtues that reflect true "faith" (iman) through related Qur’anic verses and Prophetic sayings." i.e. a nice summary of the Koran and Islamic beliefs.

The First Five of the 77 Branches:

"1. Belief in Allah"

aka as God, Yahweh, Zeus, Jehovah, Mother Nature, etc. should be added to your self-cleansing neurons.

"2. To believe that everything other than Allah was non-existent. Thereafter, Allah Most High created these things and subsequently they came into existence."

Evolution and the Big Bang or the "Gi-b G-nab" (when the universe starts to recycle) are more plausible and the "akas" for Allah should be included if you continue to be a "crea-tionist".

"3. To believe in the existence of angels."

A major item for neuron cleansing. Angels/de-vils are the mythical creations of ancient civilizations, e.g. Hitt-ites, to explain/define natural events, contacts with their gods, big birds, sudden winds, protectors during the dark nights, etc. No "pretty/ug-ly wingy thingies" ever visited or talked to Mohammed, Jesus, Mary or Joseph or Joe Smith. Today we would classify angels as f–airies and "tin–ker be-lls". Modern de-vils are classified as the de-mons of the de-mented.

"4. To believe that all the heavenly books that were sent to the different prophets are true. However, apart from the Quran, all other books are not valid anymore."

Another major item to delete. There are no books written in the spirit state of Heaven (if there is one) just as there are no angels to write/publish/distribute them. The Koran, OT, NT etc. are simply books written by humans for humans.

Prophets were invented by ancient scribes typically to keep the un-educated masses in line. Today we call them for-tune tellers.

Prophecies are also invali-dated by the natural/God/Allah gifts of Free Will and Future.

"5. To believe that all the prophets are true. However, we are commanded to follow the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him)
      alone."
      Mohammed spent thirty days "fasting" (the Ramadan legend) in a hot cave before his first contact with Allah aka God etc. via a "pretty wingy thingy". Common sense demands a neuron deletion of #5. #5 is also the major source of Islamic vi-olence i.e. turning Mohammed's "fast, hunger-driven" hallu-cinations into horrible reality for unbelievers.

Walk these Five Steps and we guarantee a complete recovery from your Islamic ways!!!!

Unfortunately, there are not many Muslim commentators/readers on this blog so the "two-minute" cure is not getting to those who need it. If you have a Muslim friend, send him a copy and help save the world.

Analogous steps are available at your request for deprogramming the myths of Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism..

February 22, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  4. Southern Baptist Warrior

I have burned dozens of Korans already.
    Why? Because I could not read them. They were printed in Arabic.
    Also, because they were Korans. They would have been used to rile up Muslims to kill and do other evil things.
    I have a few left and will be burning them later today. If I can get a digital camera, I will post pictures of the burning on the net.

They are just books written with Arabic lies used for evil. Why shouldn't I burn them? It is my right to free speech to burn them anytime I want. It is my right to protest Muslim terrorism and religious insanity any way I want that does not harm others.

Burning paper creates a lot of smoke, but it is fun to see the Korans burning.
    I have destroyed lies! Me! I am stronger than their god allah! I burn Korans and enjoy it!
    There is nothing holy about a Koran!
    I have shat upon them, peed on them, before burning, but this makes it take longer to burn them.
    Soaking them in pork fat makes them burn really good! So this is what I will be doing later today.

To all Muslims: I will burn a Koran no matter what you say. I will soak it in pork fat and pee on it. I have used pages for toilet paper. I had my dog pooop on one. I burn at least one every year. This year I have three dozen and have burned five of them.
    Come enjoy watching paper burn. It's just paper covered in lies. Your god cannot hurt me. I am stronger than your god.

February 21, 2012 at 1:19 pm |
    • It's true. I have

I have thrown many a Bible and Book of Mormon into port-a-potties. Ashes to ashes . . .

February 21, 2012 at 3:38 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Atheist using the name of a Christian Church. So cool! When you guys are tired of your anti-intellectual activity of burning books come back and say, 'we like learning'. Simple minds.

February 22, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  5. Love your neighbor as yourself

LOVE YOUR ENEMY!

You have heard that it was said, "You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy." But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.
    Christianity. Matthew 5.43-48

It may be that God will ordain love between you and those whom you hold as enemies. For God has power over all things; and God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful.
    Islam. Qur'an 60.7

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
    Christianity. Romans 12.21

According to Anas ibn Malik, the Prophet said, "Help your brother whether he is oppressor or oppressed."
    According to Anas, after the Messenger of God said, "Help your brother whether he is oppressor or oppressed," Anas replied to him, "O Messenger of God, a man who is oppressed I am ready to help, but how does one help an oppressor?" "By hindering him doing wrong," he said.
    Islam. Hadith of Bukhari

A true follower of Islam is the same as a true follower of Christianity: "Violence does not solve evil acts, doing good conquers evil and makes it possible for more people to good in the world".

February 21, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

The one about resisting the oppresor as an act of love is it in a peaceful way? Oh well hope you practise charitable love because if as you believe Allah and Elohim are one then you are not going to Paradise without it.

February 22, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  6. The Middle East is a Cesspool of Religion

If religion was what religious people pretend it is, the Middle East would be the most peaceful, tolerant place on Earth.

If religion was the source of morality that religious people pretend it is, then the Middle East would be the apex of moral behavior.

Religion sure makes people deny the obvious in favor of the massively improbable.

February 21, 2012 at 11:39 am |
    • Nii Croffie

February 22, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  7. Sad picture

That is a sad picture. Those children should be in school studying, have a goal, an ambition in life.

February 21, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • jimtanker

Spoken from someone who has never spent any time in that part of the world. I've spent almost 2 1/2 years in Bagram. Those kids have nothing better to do than beg for shoes and sell pirated DVDs.

The adverage Afghan only make $350 per year while Karzai makes how much? There is no reason for that kid to be in school, he needs to be tending to his goats or the family poppy crop.

February 21, 2012 at 11:44 am |
  8. David Johnson

All religious texts are good only for a bonfire. Have the Afghans never had a tasty toasted marshmallow? Pass out a bag and I bet the frowns turn upside down.

Cheers!

February 21, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • Islam: The Religion That Goes BANG ! ! !

ALLAH HATES MARSHMALLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALLAH COMMANDS THAT ALL MARSHMALLOWS ARE INFIDELS AND MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STAY PUFT MARSHMALLOW MAN WILL BE SLAIN IN A LOVING AND PEACEFUL MUSLIM DECAPITATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, Afghanistan is a really boring place. We have nothing to do there is we can't have a good Allah-riot every now and then.

February 21, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  9. MarcTTF

For christ's sake, it's a fucking book people. Get over it. Looking into this any further is a waste of resources.

February 21, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  10. Bo

I have heard of Bible burnings, but other than the French revolution, when have there been any notable Bible burnings? I can’t find any listed on the net. And, BTW, if there were any burning of the qu'ran at this military base, wasn’t it just a “clean-up” operation, not a protest to the qu'ran? To me that is a lot different. I have often wondered, what is the proper way to dispose of a Bible. I have one siting on a shelf in my home that accidently had the cover torn off, I want to ‘respectfully’ dispose it, but I just can’t throw it in the trash like common trash, nor, by law, burn it. Can someone, other than those who have no respect for the Bible, give me any idea what to do?

February 21, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • TruthPrevails

I have little respect for the book but you sparked my curiosity with this, so I found the following info...btw: there are no laws against burning the bible but I don't believe any book, regardless of its context, should ever be burned.
      This is what I found: (this appears to be the most sensible answer taken from http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080818072853AAK0iB5)
      "It's actually one of the respectful ways to dispose of one.

Here are some:

Give the Bible away if it is not in bad condition. Find a friend or relative who wants it.

Burn the Bible if you are Catholic. This is the appropriate way to dispose of missals and other holy books as well.

Once the Bible has burned, bury the ashes.

Bury the old Bible. This is an alternative for Catholics and also suggested for Protestants.

Jews bury the Torah in order to discard it respectfully."

February 21, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • PrimeNumber

Hi, Bo
      When a person dies, cremation is considered to be a respectful way to dispose of the body. On that basis, I would think that burning an old Bible with the same degreee of respect would be okay. But I am not an authority.

February 21, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • David Johnson

Give the holy book a burial at sea. Use the pages to wipe with and flush them. Amen!

Just bein' helpful

February 21, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  11. hippypoet

the hypocrisy of it all is amusing in my eyes because most of the posters here would be posting a very different tune if it was a christian bible being burnt... but hey, like my last post outlined, religion is a synonym for double standard, for hypocrisy, and for contradiction!

February 21, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • PrimeNumber

"religion is a synonym for double standard, for hypocrisy, and for contradiction!" I would offer one modification to your statement. "PEOPLE are synonymous with double standard, for hyprocrisy, and for contradiction." I noticed a long time ago that as soon as I condemn or criticize someone about something, I almost immediately do the same d@mn things. I'd bet you do to.

February 21, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • hippypoet

the difference here is i know i am a hypocrite sometimes and i don;t claim otherwise – i have often said that i am not above. I don't go around claiming to be perfect or godly in anyway – i'm smarter then that!

February 21, 2012 at 9:37 am |
    • PrimeNumber

@hiippy " i have often said that i am not above. I don't go around claiming to be perfect or godly in anyway – i'm smarter then that! " That's good to hear from anyone. But caution: with that kind of humility, someone might mistake you for a GENUINE Christian.

February 21, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • hippypoet

Well thats disconcerting as well as insulting. I might as well call you insane and that would be an equal statement in my mind.
      However my sentence may sound like that of a christian or fellow believer i am not one nor have i been for some time – and proud of that fact too!

February 21, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  12. Kelly Boorse

My Husband is stationed right behind the tower. We need Christ to intervene because these people are nuts, they certainly have doubt standards when it comes to their God. They don't tolerate the Quran or anything to be taken lightly concerning religious traditions.
    We don't get that here in America, we barely understand them, but I tell you one thing at least they stand for something, with even possibly dieing for the cause. In America we have lost a whole generation to crap and nonsense, because we stand for nothing except are stupid PRIDE.

February 21, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • hippypoet

you said "The standards of serving a Quran /allah is a god of hate, destruction, but you got to understand bible history to understand today why so much is stirred or you be clueless to why this crap manifest inside of these people the way it does!"

first there god is the same god as the christian one and the jewish one – just thought you'd like to know.
      second, the amount feeling they show towards there faith is something that if in any other showing you'd be wishing that you were as devolt! Because you can stand by and watch or listen to someone bash your god and they can't makes them lesser people??? how?

February 21, 2012 at 9:09 am |
    • hippypoet

look, i get it, really i do.... your biased – get over yourself and admit it! christ will not intervene because christ has no power, that too you must get over.

February 21, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Hippy my traditional religion is ethical polytheism. We have a Supreme being who is ethical like the Judaeo-Christian God and works in a remote manner through the fetishes. We have satan and demons too. Does that make our God the X'tian one because we say so? I think u know better.

February 22, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Arabs have been Jews, Christians and Pagans b4 becoming Moslems. All three older religions used Allah for the Supreme being which Mohammed used for his version. However the Moslem Allah's attributes have differed from the Judaeo-Christian Allah's from earliest times.

February 22, 2012 at 9:58 am |
  13. hippypoet

Double standards is what religions is all about, simple! Look at every aspect of religion, there exists in them all a double standard.

Forget it all, move forward for the sake of the human race not the culture that bore you! What is more important in the long run? Isn't that a far better question to ask then is god real or not or is my god the correct one or not!?!?!?

A proverb from me, the Hippypoet –
    "The only true conquest is the conquest of yourself!"

February 21, 2012 at 9:01 am |
  14. AGuest9

Long past time to get out of that medieval cesspool.

February 21, 2012 at 8:55 am |
  15. Mirosal

let's see... they can burn bibles, and kill X-tians and apostates, but no one is allowed to touch, let alone burn, a qu'ran? Yeah, nice double standard there. Don't shoot them, nuke them. I have a copy of the qu'ran. It makes a great coffee table coaster for my beer stein, especially when condensation makes a nice big wet circle on the pages.

February 21, 2012 at 8:21 am |
  16. jimtanker

Ha ha, glad that I'm not back in Bagram right now. I've spent way too much time at that place.

February 21, 2012 at 8:07 am |
  17. Katie Cupoli

My sister is currently on this base and I just hope that nothing spirals out of control and that everyone stays safe.

February 21, 2012 at 7:52 am |
    • jimtanker

Looks like they're at the front gate. Nothing to worry about there. They wont get in from that direction.

February 21, 2012 at 8:09 am |
    • Katie Cupoli

I hope not! I have been trying to get her on skype all morning.

February 21, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • jimtanker

Dont worry, Bagram is the safest place in all of Trashcanistan.

February 21, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  18. Rational Libertarian

Burning Qurans; Bad taste for sure, but watching Muslims react to the slightest infraction is both hilarious and frightening. Maybe we should send troops to destroy Mecca just to see the reaction.

February 21, 2012 at 7:49 am |
    • jimtanker

Yea, it's a lot like an Xtian when someone doesnt want one of their banners up on a wall at a school.

February 21, 2012 at 8:09 am |
    • MarcTTF

USA vs Saudi... I highly doubt that will ever happen, not while cars still use gasoline that is.

February 21, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  19. Reality

Actually, it is the Muslims who should burn their copies of the koran for the 1400 year old con job that is pulled on them daily by the imams and ayatollahs. Christians should burn their copies of the NT for the 2000 year old con job that has been perpetuated on them by popes, bishops, priests, ministers and evangelicals. And Orthodox Jews should burn their copies of the OT/Torah for the 6000 year old con job pulled on them by their past and current rabbis.

February 21, 2012 at 7:43 am |
    • AGuest9

Then, in another century, the world would be a much more peaceful place.

February 21, 2012 at 8:57 am |
  20. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 21, 2012 at 7:25 am |
    • AGuest9

I choose to live my life free of delusion.

February 21, 2012 at 8:55 am |
    • just sayin

That is not what you are evidencing aguest9

February 21, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • AGuest9

Here's some evidence for you: the 2006 Harvard Prayer Study proved that prayer is a delusion.

February 21, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven,

February 21, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • jon

religious crazies kill more babies than atheists. never heard of an atheist going on a rampage and killing families in the name of science.

February 21, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Jon what about those guys who killed themselves so tht the Great Spaceship will take them along to a better planet. If Pol Pot was not crazy... And lastly Hitler was the wisest of all who are atheist/agnostic. Say there is God so that the X'tians don't resist. If they do make sure they die.

February 22, 2012 at 9:25 am |