home
RSS
Faith Online: Social media bridges the old and the new
Joseph P. Mathews (on left) and Colin Chapman participate in one of the latest Digital Formation webinars.
February 22nd, 2012

Faith Online: Social media bridges the old and the new

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – The General Theological Seminary was founded in 1817, making it the oldest Episcopalian seminary in the country. Twitter, on the other hand, was introduced to the public in 2006, making it, by comparison, a newborn.

Colin Chapman and Joseph Mathews, the relatively young founders of Digital Formation, hope to bring those two worlds together.

As a social media consulting endeavor, Digital Formation looks to help clergy and lay church leaders work their way through the ever-changing world of social media. When Chapman and Mathews proposed using webinars and classes as the means of teaching, the leadership of the seminary embraced the idea.

Though the organization is still in its early stages, the fact that Digital Formation was so quickly embraced shows how religious organizations not only desire more exposure to Twitter, but are willing to throw out what Chapman describes as a “behind the times” attitude to get that exposure.

“One thing at the epicenter of our operation is making sure we promote the use of social media in the church setting with a theological backbone,” Chapman said. “Usually people use social media as a marketing tool, but we really see social media as a way for interacting with people.”

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

Chapman and Mathews are both seminarians at New York City’s General Theological Seminary and during a few conversations, they asked each other why religious organizations have not taken to Twitter as quickly as the general public has.

“Religious organizations have a history of being slow to adopt new technology,” Mathews said. “Radio, television, I think that it has been the nature of the beast for awhile for the church to be slow in changing how it moves.”

This sentiment is not just held by Mathews and Chapman, though. Church leadership has been saying this since the birth of social media. In the book Tweet if You Love Jesus by Elizabeth Drescher, The Right Rev. Kirk Smith, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Arizona expressed the need to take to social media.

“We blew it with radio; we blew it with television,” Smith said. “The question is whether we’ll be able to make use of these new tools while there is still a window of opportunity.”

According to Claire Diaz Ortiz, Twitter’s representative to nonprofit and religious groups, the model is out there. Ortiz knows first hands that when religious organizations tweet well, the response can be overwhelming.

“One of the great things that we see religious orgs doing really well is treating their church services as live events,” Ortiz said. “That is why some of the big mega churches are so successful on Twitter.”

And she isn’t kidding. Pastor Mark Driscoll (@PastorMark), the founding pastor of Mars Hill Church, has around 210,000 followers on Twitter. That pales in comparison to the nearly 530,000 people who follow Pastor Rick Warren (@RickWarren), founder of Saddleback Church.

While both Driscoll and Warren are big-name pastors, Ortiz said there are ways for smaller churches to effectively engage on Twitter. Her advice – have a couple of VIP tweeters who sit at the front of the service and live tweet what is happening.

Though that kind of presence on Twitter is hard for a small church to support, Digital Formation’s hope is that the payoff for those small parishes will be in the quality of contact on social media.

“What Colin and Joseph are doing is very important for the church imagining ourselves in the future,” said Rev. Patrick Malloy, the dean of General Theological Seminary. “This opens possibilities for us and allows us to see Facebook and Twitter not as just marketing tools, but they really are a means of connection by which we do the things we are called to do.”

And to Mathews, the time for churches to embrace social media is now.

“Social media is how people are communicating now,” Mathews said. “As a church we have to gather where people are gathering. People are taking to the web and are talking in clicks, so we think it is important to live our Christian lives where people are living their lives.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Culture & Science • Episcopal • New York • Technology • United States

1. Business books

I ran into this page accidentally, surprisingly, this is a wonderful website. The site owner has carried out a superb job of putting it together, the info here is really insightful. Now i am going to bookmark this internet site so that I can revisit in the future. Marketing books

June 15, 2012 at 1:02 am |
  2. marketing in facebook

This is really fascinating, You're an excessively professional blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your excellent post. Also, I have shared your web site in my social networks

May 19, 2012 at 8:17 pm |
  3. social media consultant

I actually liked this post. Thanks for that. I will tell others about this too.

May 8, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
  4. Social Media Marketing Plan, Social Media Marketing Strategy

I actually liked this. . I;ll tell others about this too.

April 30, 2012 at 4:16 am |
  5. How to Blog Social Media Android Flash Cyanogenmod iOS Rooting Android Install ICS

hello!,I like your writing so a lot! proportion we keep up a correspondence extra approximately your article on AOL? I require a specialist on this space to unravel my problem. May be that's you! Looking forward to look you.

April 24, 2012 at 5:31 am |
  6. increase twitter followers

A person necessarily assist to make critically posts I'd state. This is the very first time I frequented your website page and thus far? I amazed with the analysis you made to make this actual submit extraordinary. Excellent process!

April 8, 2012 at 4:55 am |
  7. Dorothy J

Funny, how there is no evidence of an ape transitioning into a man over a certin time period. Life has to come from life (scientific), not from cosmic so call big bang whatever..now, evolution is a theory(a thought, well a guess) being taught in our schools as a truth. Something else, how many of the Bible prophecies have actually come true..a lot have..the Bible tells of the things that are happening now in this day and age...um...it tells of the day when knowledge will increase, when men will call evil things good and good things evil..

April 8, 2012 at 2:26 am |
  8. marketing for facebook

Generally I do not learn article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great article.

March 30, 2012 at 3:25 am |
  9. Ariel

Christ’s take; Stop ministering lies about my Father’s Word!

In the previous letter I mentioned that the church I attended back in 1997 received a visitation from God, and that during that visitation I witnessed the Crucifixion Isaiah saw in his day. Several times over a three month period beginning late February 1997, a prophecy was spoken unto the church. It came forth out of the wife of one of the board members of the church. The prophetic message said, ‘Pray for John, I am going to raise him up’. Outside the church, numerous prophecies were spoken unto me by the same lady; those prophecies testified of a new House that Christ said He was going to build, they testified of God’s anger towards the pastors, preachers, and teachers who minister His Word, they testified of seven sins that God saw in the hearts of those who minister His Word; greed, pride, control, unbelief, indecision, deception and jealously, and they testified that God called many but when they attained money and power through God they forsook God. When I began receiving those prophetic messages that I believed in my spirit were of God through His Son, the word of the Lord came unto me saying, ‘View each message being spoken unto you as a piece of a puzzle. Don’t seek for understanding in them at this time because I have not yet given you the knowledge of that which I have spoken unto you’. The last prophecy spoke unto me was this ‘I will no longer speak unto you through prophecy; I have given you all the pieces of the puzzle that I needed to give you. I have revealed unto you my Father’s plan; it’s time for you to seek my face to hear what my Spirit is saying in my Father’s Word’.

When the prophecy came forth to pray for John that God was going to raise him up, the pastor and congregation began praying for a man in the congregation who was ill at the time; this man was injured in a car accident many years earlier that left him paralyzed from the waist down. Based upon that prophecy, the pastor and congregation believed that this man was going to receive a divine healing and walk. While I would like to have seen a miracle like this appears, there was a conflict in my spirit about this prophecy. I believed in my spirit that the prophecy was of God, but didn’t believe in my heart that John was going to walk. The contradiction between what I felt in my spirit and what I believed in my heart left me believing that the church’s prayers unto God to raise John out of his wheelchair were vain. On the way home from church that Sunday evening, after partaking in the prayer for John that I didn’t believe God was going to answer, I told God that I felt the situation that took place in church that evening was silly. Early the following morning I received a phone call telling me that my stepson had been taken to the hospital; that he woke up in the middle of the night paralyzed down one half of his body. That was an awakening moment for me! Before going to the hospital I sought God to heal my stepson. The response I got back was this ‘the lad is in no pain. I took him down because you are not taking seriously that which I have spoken unto you. When you take seriously that which I have spoken unto thee I will bring the lad up’. Six weeks later my stepson walked out of the hospital and to this very day there is no evidence of Multiple Sclerosis which is what the hospital speculated may have happened.

The lady who prophesied in the church, and unto me, joined the church two years prior to God’s visitation. I began attending that church in 1991. When she joined the church God set it upon my spirit that He was going to reveal something unto me through her that would give me understanding in His purpose for the revelation He had given me in His Son between 1964 and 1971. I was a prisoner of the Cross for nearly twenty-seven years in the sense that the doctrines of the church I attended between 1964 and 1971 did not bear witness of the revelation I received from God in His Son during those years. Neither did the doctrines I received between 1991 and 1997 bear witness of Christ. I sought God many times to reveal unto me His purpose for the revelation He had given me in His Son because I couldn’t understand why the doctrines of the church did not bear the knowledge He had given me in His Son. God answered my supplication during His visitation. The Crucifixion I witnessed of God’s Spirit opened my understanding in the sins my pastor committed against God, and through that knowledge God delivered me from the bondage brought upon me between 1964 and 1971 through religious doctrines that did not bear witness to what God had revealed unto me during those years.

In May of 1997 I left the church and gave my heart unto seeking God for understanding in all the prophecies that I had heard and all the things I witnessed in the church during His visitation. A couple of weeks before I left, the word of the Lord came unto me saying, ‘When John goes up the pastor will go down’. My pastor’s lack of understanding in God’s Spirit was exposed in several closed door meeting between himself, the board members of the church, the lady through whom the Lord spoke, and me. Several of the prophecies spoken unto me were delivered unto the pastor through the mouth of the husband of the lady through whom the Lord spoke unto me through prophecy. The pastor mocked Christ through Sermons he preached on the premise of the prophecies spoken unto me. When he preached his understanding of the prophecies that testified Christ was going to build a new House he deceived the congregation by claiming that God had told him to build a new church. Several members of the church gave financial support for that project; one of the board members gave his entire saving which was never returned when the church was not built. The church was never built. When the Lord sent me before the pastor in a closed door meetings to ask him why he deceived the congregation he became extremely angry with me. That was not the only time the Lord sent me before the pastor, He took me before him a total of nine times; his anger towards me multiplied exceedingly.

A couple of days prior to hearing the prophecy that testified God saw seven sins in the heart of the priesthood, God had given me a vision of a heart that had seven things that looked like spikes sticking out of it. Two on the top on the right side of arch, two on the top of the left side of the arch, one on either side, and one out the bottom. When I heard the prophecy, I understood what I had seen. The day after the prophecy was spoken unto me, the husband of the lady through whom the prophecy was spoken ran into the pastor at the post office. When he got home he told his wife that the pastor had told him God had shown him that he had seven sins in his heart. There was no mistake that God’s Spirit was moving in the church; He spoke to several members of the church through signs, wonders, dreams and visions. The problem was the shepherd leading the flock did not know God’s Spirit therefore his theologies were based upon his own understanding which ultimately created a circus in the church. When he saw the problem he had created he didn’t know how to handle it, so he called in the head of the Pentecostal Assemblies of Canada to clean up his mess. Two of the board who believed it was God’s Spirit moving in the church along with the pastor, met with the head of the POAC who dismissed the matter; fired the board members and left the pastor to continue in the church to this day.

God’s request unto the pastor and the congregation to seek Him in prayer to raise up John has been a fervent prayer of mine for seventeen years. The Book of Revelation is addressed unto the leaders of the churches. The revelations recorded in the book were given unto John by God through Christ who spoke unto the churches in the first three chapters of the book calling them to repent of their sins. The knowledge revealing what God’s Spirit is saying in the Book of Revelation bears the Testimony of Christ that God gave unto me between 1964 and 1971, and the revelation of the prophecies that His Son spoke unto me in 1997 was the foundation God laid upon which He opened my understanding in His Word.
    Today we are living in an era of self-fulfilled prophesies of the Book of Revelation. We are in a terrible mess! Everyone needs to pray to God to raise up John because when Christ fulfills on earth the testimony written in the Book of Revelation He will deliver God’s people out of the hard bondage brought upon them by wrongful translations of the book brought forth by those who claim to be God’s servants.

Revelations 20:12. And I saw the dead small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is called the book of life: and the dead were judged out of things which were written in the books, according to their works.

The dead small and great testify of the patriarchs, the major and minor Prophets, the disciples and Paul. The books they wrote are going to be opened which means God is going to bringing forth the knowledge of books called His Word. For the time is come that judgement must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And IF THE RIGHTEOUS SCARCELY BE SAVED, WHERE SHALL THE UNGODLY AND THE SINNER APPEAR?, 1 Peter 4:17 and 18.

The churches theology that God keeps a set a books of all our deeds on earth and then judges us when are dead is absolutely insane. God’s House is a Divine House made without hands and is manifested through the truth the His Word revealed unto man through God’s Spirit by way of Christ Jesus. The scriptures testify that judgement begins at the House of the Lord. Peter understood the House of God dwelt within him through the knowledge he received from God through Christ by way of God’s Spirit, and that God was going to judge his works according to the knowledge He gave him through His Son. The Book of Life is Christ; his truths of His Father’s Word will reveal the books written by the prophets, the disciples and Paul. If the righteous who wrote the books are going to be judged when He returns what will be the judgement upon those who brought forth a false testimony of the books?

Genesis 1:8 and 9 testifies that God parted the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament, and that God called the dry land earth, and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas. God called the firmament Heaven. God is a Spirit revealed by His Word which is the waters above the firmament. The waters below the firmament testifies of the gods of man’s imagery. God parted the waters above the firmament from the waters below the firmament by revealing unto man the bondage caused by the foolishness of their imagery. Through delivering man out of their state of darkness (bondage) God revealed himself unto man and he called that union of the two waters Seas. The dry land he called earth testifies of man’s carnal state.

In Revelation 20:13 the scripture testify the Sea gave up the dead. The Sea is God’s Word; the dead speaks of ministers who have no understanding in God’s Word. The truth of God’s Word gives up the dead through revealing those who minister His Word have no understanding in His Word. Death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. Job 38:12 to 17: Hast thou commanded the morning since thy days; and caused the dayspring to know his place. That it might take hold of the ends of the earth, that the wicked might be shaken out of it? It is turned as clay to the seal; and they stand as a garment. And from the wicked their light is withholden, and the high arm shall be broken. Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? Or hast thou walked in search of the depth? Have the gates of death been opened unto thee? Or hast thou seen the doors of the shadow of death? There is a way that seemeth right unto a man; but the end thereof are the ways of death, Proverbs 16:25. For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace, Romans 8:6. In these scriptures death speaks of a man’s spiritual state. Hell isn’t a fire beneath the earth. We are living in it through man being partakers of self-fulfilled prophecies. Look at what the churches theology of God’s Word has brought in the world, especially throughout the Middle East. The scriptures testify the dead are going to be cast into the lake of fire, testifying God is going to cause the dead to reap what they have sown. In Matthew 16:16 Christ said He would build His church and the gates of hell would not prevail against it. His church is the Spiritual House of God that dwelt within the patriarchs, the prophets, the disciples and Paul through the knowledge they received from God by way of His Spirit; and that knowledge bore the Testimony of His Son who is the True and Living Temple of God.
    There will be many, both inside and outside the church who will perceive this letter as an attack upon the church. Be not ye one of them. Think ye not that God knew the day He called man to be ministers unto Him that man who defiled His House? Yea, He spoke of it often in His Word. What saith the scriptures, many were called, few were chosen. Be ye not judges lest ye be judged; God is Judge over both the righteous and the unrighteous. In these latter days praise God for the truth of His Word; Seek ye Christ, and work out your salvation with fear and trembling for none shall escape God’s judgement not even the atheist, the scriptures testify every knee shall bow before God.
    Being a minister unto God means seeking Him for understanding in His Word, and bringing that knowledge forth. I have made many sacrifices in my life unto God and have suffered many trials and tribulation in search of the wealth of God’s Kingdom which is the knowledge God gave me by way of His Son through His Spirit. When a man giveth his heart unto God he receiveth great wealth, the man’s desire is that God giveth unto His people that which has been given unto him for he knoweth that the richness of God is His Son, who giveth unto man the peace of God through which man prospers in the earth. The wealth that God has freely given unto me is freely being given unto you on the website God commanded me to build. I have never used God’s Word to financially prosper off of nor will that day come. The free will offering on the site is there because God instructed me to put it there and I will surely take the offerings of God’s people before God and do that which God’s commands of me. Your decision of whether or not to make that offering is between you and God. Your decision will not prevent you from freely receiving that which has been freely given unto me. Foreknowing that many will steal God’s Word from the website and try to financially prosper off His Word I ask that ye be watchful and not be taken by deceivers. Know this; there will be no marketing of God’s Word made by me in any form. I am not a merchant; I am a servant.

A few months after I received God’s call, which was in February 1997, a violent storm with high winds and heavy rainfall struck the community where I live. When I looked out my window I was surprised at what I saw. Garbage cans and several other items people keep outside their homes were being tossed around by the winds as though they were feathers. While thinking about what I was seeing, which was something unusual for my area, the Word of the Lord came unto me, saying, I am changing the weather. How does one relate to that? Quite simply I couldn’t. A few days later another storm arose. When I looked out my window I saw three small tornadoes coming from the east. They touched down before reaching the little village where I lived causing minor damage. Later that evening the Word of the Lord came unto me, saying, What meaneth these three tornadoes? I was shocked, then replied, Lord I don’t know, how could I. These three tornadoes saith the Lord, represent the Father, the Son and the Word, and when they make landfall there will be great destruction in the earth, but fear not that day, for that day must need come. From that day to this the weather has drastically changed; tornadoes bearing strong winds, heavy rainfall and hail are common occurrences of our times. And the temple of God was opened in heaven, and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament: and there were lightings, and voices, and thunderings, and an earthquake, and great hail, Revelation 11:19.

Shortly after God’s call, God set it upon my heart to pay attention to the President of the United States. When President George Bush Junior was elected President of the United Sates I wept. I felt in my spirit that he was going to do something that would wreak havoc in the earth, what I knew not. When he commanded a military strike on Iraq I felt in my heart that his decision was based upon his religious beliefs which he has recently acknowledged through saying he was on a mission from God when he launched the invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq. When he took that stand he did not open the door for peace; he closed it, and today we have a Muslim religious regime who believes it is their duty unto God to fulfill the philosophies of a book written by a man who was as misguided in his religious beliefs as was/is President George Bush junior. Today, there are four candidates in the race to become the next President of the United States. Whoever sits in that seat in November will experience the strong hand of God. I believe that President Barrack Obama is the most likely of all the candidates to seek after the truth and righteousness of God.

Ariel
    Web-site address: http://www.theresurrection.ca
    E-mail address: info@theresrrection.ca

March 8, 2012 at 8:07 am |
  10. AZ Episcopalian

Kirk Smith? They quote Kirk Smith? What, wasn't Fred Flintstone available?

February 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
  11. God of Death

Ask yourself this question...

"Did anyone ever ask me to be born into this world?"

Then challenge yourself to ask this question upon your own personal god. It's so hilarious.

February 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

As a Set worshipper cud you please nswer the question for me? Pleeeaaase!

February 23, 2012 at 3:22 am |
    • Nii Croffie

God forgive me for this! I am sorry I wrote this!

February 23, 2012 at 3:36 am |
  12. Throckton Snortsniffle

Use science to hate science. Just like when the get sick, go to the doctor, receive treatment that is the product of massive and diverse scientific research, and then tell each other that God and prayer saved them.

Science bad. God good.

February 22, 2012 at 2:04 pm |

A typical exmple of the
      DOLT ATHEIST POSITION
      Disease(God's will)=Medicine(Satan's will)
      Disease(Satan's will)=Medicine(God's will)
      and u call christin's superst.itious. Well this is the
      BIBLE POSITION (Gen 2)
      Disease(Man's will)=Medicine(Man's will)
      You have the power. love your neighbor as urself

February 23, 2012 at 2:10 am |

The scientists position is
      Science=tool
      the atheist
      science=God
      Christian position
      science=tool
      Who is being scientific here?

February 23, 2012 at 3:00 am |
    • TruthPrevails

Wow Nii and once again you are wrong! Approximately 92% of the worlds scientists are non-believers. God and science are in direct contradiction to each other or did you miss the part about creationism and the creation of the planet in your big book of fairy tales?

February 23, 2012 at 4:07 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Voodoo statistics being caalled upon here I suppose. When was this study carried out and where. DEFINE SCIENTIST TOO WHILE YOU ARE AT IT. REALITY Is better t it than you are!

February 23, 2012 at 7:51 am |
    • Nii Croffie

TruthPRevails it seems u have not read up on the statistics of believing scientists. I believe you need more time. Perhaps you could register all of us and actually ask us.

February 23, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  13. TheRationale

Faith and the Internet are not likely partners. Irrational thinking can't hide from criticism. I think faith is going to fade on and because of the Internet faster than we think.

February 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

I've heard theories of evolution of viruses, the reason why Hitler was a Christian, prediction=prophesy, and the Christians are out to get us from atheists. Indeed those guys are still going strong here after criticism why wud believers leave the web for criticism from guys who are christophobic.

February 23, 2012 at 3:07 am |
  14. BTC

The GTS is an Episcopal seminary, not Episcopalian. "Episcopalian" is a noun; "Episcopal" is a modifier, as in "I am an Episcopalian who attends the Episcopal church."

February 22, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  15. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

February 22, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  16. Reality

How much money would the following save the US taxpayers ?:

Saving 1.5 billion lost Muslims:
    There never were and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror like 9/11.

– One trillion dollars over the next several years as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will end.

– Eighteen billion dollars/yr to Pakistan will stop.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Egypt will end.

Saving 2 billion lost Christians including the Mormons:
    There were never any bodily resurrections and there will never be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity!!!

– The Mormon empire will now become taxable as will all Christian "religions" and evangelical non-profits since there is no longer any claim to being a tax-exempt religion.

– Saving 15.5 million Orthodox followers of Judaism:
    Abraham and Moses never existed.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Israel saved.

– All Jewish sects and non-profits will no longer be tax exempt.

Now all we need to do is convince these 3.5+ billion global and local citizens that they have been conned all these centuries Time for a YouTube,Twitter and FaceBook campaign!!!!

(Added details available upon request)

February 22, 2012 at 8:10 am |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 22, 2012 at 7:24 am |
    • Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you fat.
      Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
      Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
      Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
      Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
      Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
      Prayer dulls your senses.
      Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

February 22, 2012 at 11:32 am |
  18. Nii Croffie

Like when a scientist refuses to believe in Evolution like an atheist wud? Scepticism is Legalism not science. Have u heard the phrase"this evidence...will not stand up in a court of Law". Not a DA to a CSI. That was an atheist 2 a religionist. Atheism is studied in Theology not Science. Ignorance?

February 22, 2012 at 6:18 am |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Nii Croffie
      You do realize that the evidence for evolution has indeed stood up in a court of law and that Creationism was deemed unscientific?

February 22, 2012 at 8:02 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Deemed unscientific in a court with a selected jury, selected judge, ability to dismiss evidence, ability to disqualify witnesses and of course burden of proof on prosecution. Not forgetting that the Evolution is almost hundred percent backed by evidence for Variation an established LAW.

February 22, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • Nii Croffie

The Creationist went to court to prevent Evolution from being taught in schools I gather and they lost. The judgement was right. However to then conclude that God did not create the world because a Judge said so! I don't think that will hold in science. With the Law of Variation both are probable.

February 22, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Oh Yeah

Nii Croffie
      Why do Creationists limit the possibilities to just YHWH when any of the other gods could have been responsible? Have they scientifically proven that none of the other creation myths is the truth? For that matter, have they gotten any closer to how a creator god could have accomplished such a feat? Have they done any research work at all? Scientists, even pretend ones, are actually supposed to 'discover' new information, after all. What's their contribution to human knowledge?

February 22, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Most of de Supreme beings of pagan pantheons can be syncretised with de God of Christianity however Zeus was not de Creator n Bhuddhism n Hindus recognise a self-existent universe. Allah was used by X'tian, Jewish n pagan Arabs long b4 Islam. However there is refinement of attributes to match YHWH.

February 23, 2012 at 2:22 am |
    • Nii Croffie

The Evolution theory was by an Episcopalian, Darwin and its evidence Variation was by a Catholic monk, Mendel. Big Bang is by a Roman Catholic priest, Lemaitre. Evolutionism and Creationism are more political than science.

February 23, 2012 at 2:28 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Since u now see that X'tians can be Evolutionist or Creationist as well. Now we proceed to interpretation. It is seen clearly in Gen 1:1 that God created the universe be4 ordering de earth n de universe 2 help Man from v2 onwards. With regards 2 evolution de series of accidents cud be hastened.

February 23, 2012 at 2:41 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Finite time was created when He created daylight. So in v1 there is only His infinite time existing. The Big Bang theory fits right into v1.

February 23, 2012 at 2:46 am |
    • Nii Croffie

The 6000yr Earth is not biblical. It is calculated from the generations of humans since Adam but v1 makes it void as God created the Universe b4 finite time. Infinite time or eternity does not have the same rules as finite. This is why in the Bible a day is more important than years.

February 23, 2012 at 2:51 am |
  19. Jon

Wrong story, the story here is that as they float around the internet, christianity is haiving its ass handed to it by the large, vocal and well read Atheist presence on the web.

February 22, 2012 at 4:21 am |
    • Nii Croffie

I'm Episcopalian/Anglican begin the handing down of my... The only Christian u can attack successfully is a Literal Fundamentalist. Most others are checking you guys out like at an airport departure hall.

February 22, 2012 at 6:12 am |
    • Bob

Nii Croffie
      Your opinions here on this board sound just as off the wall as the die hard fundies.

February 22, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • Nii Croffie

Indeed most people ridicule things which are extraordinary or lame never the ordinary.

February 22, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Bob

Nii Croffie
      As it happens, belief in gods is both extraordinary and lame, which accounts for all the ridicule towards it here on this board. 😉

February 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Nii Croffie

Belief in science, politicians, lawyers, philosophers and yourself is so much better. Satanists skip the first four and add their master. Much more honest.

February 23, 2012 at 3:16 am |
  20. I am Spartacus!

All the technology in the world will not stop religious people from being ignorant.

At least now they can use science to hate science.

February 22, 2012 at 3:08 am |