home
RSS
February 24th, 2012

Seven states sue government over contraceptives mandate

By Tom Cohen, CNN

Washington (CNN) - Seven states on Thursday filed a lawsuit against the federal government requirement that religious employers offer health insurance coverage that includes contraceptives and other birth control services.

The issue has become a political flashpoint in a presidential election year, and the lawsuit by attorneys general from Nebraska, Michigan, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Florida and Texas was certain to keep it prominent.

Private plaintiffs joining the seven states included Pius X Catholic High School, Catholic Social Services, Catholic Mutual Relief Society of America and private citizens Stacy Molai and Sister Mary Catherine.

The 25-page lawsuit named the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius; the U.S. Department of the Treasury and Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner; and the U.S. Department of Labor and Labor Secretary Hilda Solis as defendants.

FULL STORY
- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Church and state

1. Sports Fan

The quarterback MUST go down. And he must go down hard.

February 24, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • BRC

That's what she said?

February 24, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Sports Fan

Correct. And she was wearing a white Raiders jump suit.

February 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
  2. BRC

Here's my thing, and I know this has been said before but apparenlty it needs to be said again- How many women have been a part of thieofficial decision? That I am aware of 1- the one who helped establish the bill. What did she say- make access to contraceptives available to all. Alright, that about wraps it up. Until a large group of women (not churches that don't have one single female voice in their entire leadership structure) come out and say THEY are against having access to free contraceptives and women's health care, then the law stands, and everyone can quietly move on.

I am a man by the way, a man who laughed as he had to take the controller away from his Catholic wife when she was contemplating throwing it at the TV because this decision was being made entirely by a group of men.

February 24, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • GodShocked

"this decision was being made entirely by a group of men." Strange, celibate men at that.

February 24, 2012 at 3:42 pm |

GodShocked

Well many of them have had dalliances with an occasional altar boy, so they do have SOME experience.

They also wear dresses to work.

February 24, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Celibate priests telling people how to have a good se.x life is like a deaf people teaching music.
      They might understand the theory, but not the beauty.

February 24, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
    • Gerald

This has been spun by the press as a men only complaint. But I know lots of women who are against it. I ran a both on Sunday's after Church passing out letters to send Senators and Representatives voicing opposition. Most of the ones who came to get the letters WERE WOMEN! Kathleen Medford on her radio program voiced opposition to Obama. Here is a clip from an online article from just a quick google.

More than 2,000 women signed an open letter opposing the Obama administration’s contraception mandate in a sharp contrast to those who have sought to represent all women in supporting it.

You have gone for the press spin as usual.

February 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm |
    • Gerald

Willy, that you broad brushing priests again. A smaller percentage of priests have abused children than the percentage of Atheists who have done so.

February 24, 2012 at 4:04 pm |

Gerald

I suspect we have different definitions of a woman.

In my world a good Christian woman is nothing more than a child.

Until a child can think for themselves, they shall remain a child.

Besides surveys show 1960 of those women were probably lying to you.

February 24, 2012 at 4:06 pm |

Gerald

40,000 AMerican children were buggered by your clergy.

The RCC church is being driven into bankrupcy, and CRIMINAL conspiracy charges are being filed.

The Pope won't even travel to certain countries for fear of arrest, yet you still deny.

You might have well f@^ked those little boys yourself.

February 24, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Gerald..you miss, as usual , the point of the cover ups.. and what about the abuse at the residential schools in Canada.?

February 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

"A smaller percentage of priests have abused children than the percentage of Atheists who have done so."

Gotta love how people miss the reality. Turning a blind eye doesn't make the problem go away!
      Where are the supposed stats that show that Atheists have abused more children than priests have? Not that one can be given but since the claim was made, the burden of proof lies of the person making it.
      The following site provides information regarding the church and the numerous members who have been accused, convicted, etc...the list is quite extensive and proves how wrong the initial statement is...http://bishop-accountability.org/priestdb/PriestDBbylastName-A.html

Going to the site itself (http://bishop-accountability.org) provides numerous other details.

February 25, 2012 at 8:25 am |
    • Mirosal

Maybe Gerald is a RCC priest and is afraid HIS name will be on those lists.

February 25, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • TruthPrevails

The following are some very telling facts from bishop-accountability.org
      -Thousands of Catholic clergy and religious have ra.ped and sod.omized tens of thousands of children—perhaps more than 100,000 children—since 1950. These crimes were committed in secret, and bishops nurtured that secrecy.
      -Accused U.S. clerics and religious whose names have been made public
      19 bishops
      3,206 priests
      82 nuns
      194 brothers
      47 deacons
      18 se.minarians
      -The U.S. bishops report receiving allegations from 15,736 victims or 2.6 victims per priest.
      -Approximately two-thirds of sitting U.S. bishops were alleged in 2002 to have kept accused priests in ministry or moved accused priests to new as.signments.
      -What percent of parishes in each diocese have been affected?
      Studies suggest that many Catholic dioceses in the United States have had a priest accused of abuse living at the rectory and doing parish work. The Los Angeles Times determined from an extensive data study in 2005 that over three-quarters of LA parishes had been at risk since 1950. We have done similar studies of Davenport IA and Rockville Centre NY.
      56 of Davenport's 130 parishes – 43%
      221 of Los Angeles' 288 parishes – 77%
      90 of Rockville Centre's 134 parishes – 67%
      65 of Bridgeport's 98 parishes – 66%
      -Over $3 billion in awards and settlements have been made co.mprising:
      $750 million in settlements 1950-2002 (partly overlaps next item)
      $2 billion in large settlements and awards 1984-2008 with 3,547 survivors
      $500 million in smaller settlements 2003-2008
      -Fewer than 2 percent of se.xual abuse allegations against the Catholic church appear to be false. (4,570 allegations were substantiated (80%)
      1,028 allegations were unsubstantiated (18%) 83 allegations were deemed false (1.5%) )

***The point in posting this is to prove to anyone still supporting the RCC that the church you are supporting is nothing but a large group pf ped.o.philes. Exposing your children to this should be considered the same as if you beat them. The numbers do not lie! ***

February 25, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • GodsPeople

@BRC: If the wh0r3 wants birth control, she's not catholic. next?

February 25, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

"If the wh0r3 wants birth control, she's not catholic."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...HOW MUCH BLINDER CAN ONE GET??? Those good little Catholic girls are not so well behaved...you're an absolute idiot if you think they are.

February 25, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
  3. Seriously?

The world is in turmoil. Americans are without jobs and homes and are literally living on the streets. Education in this country is a joke. People are killing each other out there. Yet THIS is what we're focusing on? Birth Control?! Shameful. The rest of the world looks to us as an indicator of the state of the world and we're suing our own government over BIRTH CONROL. If the world ends in December I can see why. Look at what we've come to.

February 24, 2012 at 3:25 pm |
    • momoya

Excellent point. We could be saving millions from death by just providing some clean water and minimal nutrition, but hey, let's argue over implications of a few iron-age myths telling people that they can't take a few pills to keep from overpopulating this world even more. Makes perfect sense.

February 24, 2012 at 3:31 pm |
    • William Demuth

Your lament is an ancient one

Already long ago, from when we sold our vote to no man, the People have abdicated our duties; for the People who once upon a time handed out military command, high civil office, legions — everything, now restrains itself and anxiously hopes for just two things: bread and circuses

February 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Did you really think the catholic leadership cared about the world at large? All they can think about is keeping their own people towing the line, and either bringing everyone else to their way of thinking and those who won't will have their morals dictated to them anyway.

February 24, 2012 at 3:34 pm |
    • Seriously?

Exactly momoya. The legal fees in this lawsuit alone could save how many LIVING, BREATHING people in other countries (and our own country) from death due to illness or lack of clean water, but we're too busy focusing on ways to add even more people to the mix. It's alarming to say the least.

February 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • William Demuth

Abortion is a bye-product of poor birth control.

To be anti-birth control is to be pro-abortion.

February 24, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
    • Gerald

Hawii Guest – The Catholic Church feeds, clothes, gives shelter to, and takes care of the sick, more people than any other organization on the planet. But bigots will ignore this of course. If the shoe fits....

February 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm |

Gerald

Wrong again.

The Mormons do far more than the RCC by far.

And it appears they also molest less boys.

February 24, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Gerald

Perhaps you should learn to read. I specifically pointed toward the leadership. The cardinals and such. These charities have been around for a long time, and are run by congregants, volunteers and such. Perhaps instead of jumping all over my post because it goes against the church leaders, you could try some reading comprehension.

February 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  4. Lucifer's Evil Twin

The world is a vampire, sent to drain
    secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames
    and what do I get, for my pain
    betrayed desires, and a piece of the game
    even though I know-I suppose I'll show
    all my cool and cold-like old job

despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
    despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
    someone will say what is lost can never be saved
    despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

now I'm naked, nothing but an animal
    but can you fake it, for just one more show
    and what do you want, I want change
    and what have you got
    when you feel the same
    even though I know-I suppose I'll show
    all my cool and cold-like old job

despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
    despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage
    someone will say what is lost can never be saved
    despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

tell me I'm the only one
    tell me there's no other one
    jesus was an only son yeah
    tell me I'm the chosen one
    jesus was an only son for you

and I still believe that I cannot be saved
    and I still believe that I cannot be saved
    and I still believe that I cannot be saved
    and I still believe that I cannot be saved

February 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm |

A classic!

The prevelance of anti Christian lyrics in the past 40 years has really filled me with hope.

February 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • Alien Orifice

I loves me some Punkin's!

February 24, 2012 at 3:30 pm |
  5. Nobody should take away the right of atheists to kill their children before they are born

LOL!

February 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Primewonk

"LOL'ing" your own post is a sign of teabaggeritis.

February 24, 2012 at 2:58 pm |
  6. Lucifer's Evil Twin

I see almost the entire gang is here. Happy Friday to everyone!

February 24, 2012 at 2:53 pm |

Happy Friday

Enjoy your blasphemies this weekend!

February 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Oh, you better believe it. All weekend long.

February 24, 2012 at 3:12 pm |
    • jimtanker

Happy Friday bro!

February 24, 2012 at 3:22 pm |
  7. hippypoet

rights are given, and anything given has no value....there is no ent!tlement to anything. fight for what you believe in no matter who else shares your beliefs...including me!

rights can be taken away if there aren't any fighting for them but plenty fighting against them!

i may not agree with you, but i will fight for your right to have the right to make your own choice!

February 24, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
    • William Demuth

Why Hippy, you anarchistic side is showing.

As for me, I do as I please. Laws are for lesser men.

February 24, 2012 at 2:40 pm |
    • hippypoet

thats right will – i do have an extreme side...i loathe tyranny, unless of course i am the king (its good to be the king 🙂 )

but in all seriousness, tyranny is exactly what is going on here and you are right, laws are for lesser people. Them who need to be told what is correct and what is not are lesser people! But when tyranny is the way of the land its all who is effected not just the small few! Honor, courage, p@ssion for justice – hese are things of the past and that makes me sad more so when i see what the future holds – laws to control not keep safe! Need i say tyranny once more?

February 24, 2012 at 2:48 pm |
    • William Demuth

Control is always a human aspiration.

We pay lip service to freedom, but at the end of the day we define it as an aspiration, and then trade it away for lifes basic needs.

Alas we got the Brave New World we were promised because at the end of the day the majority of us have proven to be cowards.

February 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm |
    • Brad

nippypoet and William-

You seem to looking for bravery from individuals. Regarding the securing of rights, I don't think it ever comes down to the individual. People act collectively. The groups that want to abridge and deny our rights certainly do. To oppose them effectively and secure the rights we all want, we ourselves need to act as part of a coherent force.

February 24, 2012 at 3:14 pm |

Brad

I understand the idea but reject it. Any club that would have me isn't worth joining.

The future ia asymetrical. Within a few generations, individuals acting COMPLETLEY alone will be able to inflict HUGE and possibly fatal blows against our species.

Either we get to the point where we can live and let live, or some lone wolf amongst us will make humanity start all over again.

February 24, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
    • hippypoet

i agree with both of you on this, but wouldn't you both like to be able to make a choice based on whay you want or need NOT what is allowed or given to chose from!

February 24, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
  8. Nobody should take away the right of atheists to kill their children before they are born

I hope people here are not too dumb to realize that the article is about religious people who want to defend and fight for their right of NOT TO DO.

It never cease to amuse me how atheists panties simultaneously twisted and yapping in unison about "separation of State and Church" when they hear about religious people trying to tell the government what to do. But know it's the other way around, where government is now trying to dictate the church what to do, they still whine the same thing but against religion still. Weird but funny.

February 24, 2012 at 2:19 pm |
    • We have a term for it

It's called, EXTREME BIAS.

February 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • J.W

In a society we all have to do things that perhaps we do not believe in. Why should one group be exempt when no other groups are?

February 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • William Demuth

Thats why I so stridently support it.

We have a surplus of redneck whitebread Christian bimbos.

February 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

If a church wishes to be a tax-paying employer, they must adhere to labour laws.
      They don't get to pick what laws they obey.
      What if your boss is a Christian Scientist and rejects medicine outright – no health insurance for anyone?

February 24, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
    • DermAtheist

Medically known as God-Allergy.

February 24, 2012 at 2:25 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

This is about equal rights regardless of who the person works for and if they don't want to purchase the product, they are not being forced to but at least the option is available for those who do. We Atheists are all for equal rights and that includes keeping the church out of the bedrooms of the people and the secular countries presiding leaders agree. Maybe if these morons educated themselves they would realize that contraceptive use is not just bout preventing pregnancy but also about protecting a woman's health.

February 24, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • DermAtheist

@Doc Vestigial

"Should businesses owned by Jehovah's Witnesses be allowed to deny their employees blood transfusions?"

Again, I hope you're not too dumb to realize that on the analogy that you're using, the church now is the one playing of the EMPLOYEES.

@YW
      "Why should one group be exempt when no other groups are?"

Memory gap? Separation of Church and State, remember?

@William D' MOOT

"It's redneck whitebread Christian bimbos who whack the majority of the unborn in the US."

That does mean, Christian bimbos has higher percentage of abortion than those superficial atheists?

You must think deeply rather than firing back quickly but with an empty shell and humiliate yourself further.

February 24, 2012 at 2:51 pm |

DermAtheist

Of course that what it means. Perhaps YOU might need a week to grasp it but it is QUITE obvious.

Unwanted pregnancy is a bye product of poor birth control practices. That is self-explanatory.

We non-believers are bright enough to know how to avoid the will of God, and control our own reproduction.

February 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Primewonk

" government is now trying to dictate the church what to do, "

Really? How do you figure?

And please don't try the contraception line. CHURCHES were exempt. Businesses, however should all have to follow the same laws and rules.

February 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

"Nobody should take away the right of atheists to kill their children before they are born" How very antagonistic and trollish of you. I'm willing to bet that the majority of women getting those abortions are probably not atheists. In fact, it is much more likely that those women are christians of one type or another. As to rights, well you would have to be a fool to completely trust the government with decisions about your body.

February 24, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
    • J.W

OK so separation of church and state only includes the Catholic church? I never knew that. They should have specified that in the consti.tution.

February 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm |
    • BRC

@J.W.,
      They did, in really tiny letters that only the pope and selected Cardinals can read.

February 24, 2012 at 3:28 pm |
  9. J.W

I was thinking Texas already had this in place before all of this happened. Maybe I am wrong.

February 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  10. Dig Deeper

Why do you guys try to argue Christianity/atheism/whatever on a belief blog where comments are short and often incorrect? Aren't you guys intelligent enough to know that it's an extremely complex issue? People dedicate their lives to studying and researching this stuff, so your short little two sentences claiming how you know it all make you seem extremely simple minded and ignorant. I think people need to research, think critically, and look inward more as opposed to saying the same old one liners day in and day out as if they actually have meaning.

C'mon people.

February 24, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • William Demuth

Please don't be so patronizing.

Many here HAVE spent decades studying these subjects.

This is just another front in the culture war, and when the Christians were winning they gave no quarter.

February 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm |
    • Dig Deeper

@William

Not saying that people haven't studied or know nothing (even though a fair % prob haven't), but do you honestly think decades of research or any legitmate study/discussion can be had on these message boards? The boards where long legitmate posts never get responses and people love to respond to trolling posts just to get reactions out of people. At the end of the day 99% of the posts here are made in vain and they only serve as entertainment and an ego boost for the poster, simply because they can say whatever they want and call the other side dumb with no repercussions, which then makes them feel smart regardless of whether they are or not.

"Now that they are on the run, why should those of us who were once under their boot be expected to act with civility?"

-Not really sure where you're going with that, it doesn't relate to my post from what I can tell. I'm not saying that either side to keep fighting or stop, just that the CNN comments board provide almost no intellectual debates and the same sweeping generalizations (by both sides) are made day in and day out with such simple mindedness. The majority of the comments have been said 1 million times and there's so much more to it than the over simplifying statements made by many. These comments resemble immaturity and lack education.

February 24, 2012 at 2:18 pm |
    • Commenter

@Dig Deeper,

I'm not sure which boards you have been perusing here. Have you read these?:

Of course, there is some of the usual sniping there, but there are many quite deep and detailed comments....

February 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Well Hung Jesus

When you establish the lack of integrity of a book, the complex components are a moot point. I agree in one aspect, you can argue with a delusional person who believes make believe is real. However, they are entertaining to poke and watch them slobber at the mouth whiel dragging their knuckles.

February 24, 2012 at 2:27 pm |
    • Well Hung Jesus

correction: you can't argue with a delusional etc

February 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

Dig Deeper

Because this forum is a mirror of a bigger battle.

Only one culture can dominate, and the AMerican paradigm is shifting. The political powerbase that was Christianity is being fractured.

Those who had been disenfranchised for generations are now ascendant.

February 24, 2012 at 2:29 pm |
  11. J

The Bible was used as an argument for slavery, for racial discrimination, against women's civil rights, and even interracial marriage (17 states outlawed it).

Now it is being used as an argument against women's rights over their own body, and against gay marriage.

I'm all for religious freedom, but not when your freedoms infringe on the freedoms of others. Then it becomes "Freedom to force your beliefs on others". You get your Freedom of Religion, as long as I get my Freedom from religion.

A better bible: "Don't be a jerk"

February 24, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
    • jimtanker

Right on J!

February 24, 2012 at 1:49 pm |
    • Dig Deeper

Unfortunately humans will twist anything powerful to benefit their own desires. Also unfortunately, many people hold the Bible sacred and others twist it to fit their person agenda.

February 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • !

!

February 24, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
    • Well Hung Jesus

"When are people going to realize that the Bible is a terrible argument for anything."
      ------------
      A very bad fairytale of ignorance

February 24, 2012 at 2:22 pm |
  12. Booya

I'm the best! hippypoet around says aguest9. I chuckles at the ridiculousness of jimtanker and primewonker who claim Reality posts.

Sincerely,
    Doc Wiliam Vestibule Demuth

February 24, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  13. travis

I'm torn here. On one hand I believe that each couple should have the freedom to choose for themselves whether or not to use birth control. However, on the other hand I don't feel it's the government's place to tell businesses exactly what benefits they must include with their insurance. I've had jobs with great insurance, and jobs with horrible insurance. Benefits vary from job to job, and I don't see what it has to do with politics, if anything!

scripturesense.com

February 24, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Well the fact is that BC pills are not only used for contraceptive purposes. They can be used for a myriad of womens health issues, such as regulating irregular periods, lessening the cramps and bloating for women who have severe ones. And it severely reduces the risk of (if not completely prevents) ectopic pregnancies, which are always fatal for the fetus, and has a high chance of death for the mother. I know a few women who take BC pills for purely medical reasons, and it has helped them for years.

February 24, 2012 at 1:58 pm |

Travis

Roman Catholic nuns take birth control.

February 24, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@William: I believe the recent stat was that 98% of Catholics use some form of contraception.

February 24, 2012 at 2:21 pm |
    • William Demuth

I hear you Truth, but think about the Nuns.

When they take BC pills, who pays for them?

February 24, 2012 at 2:33 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

Shhhhhhhh William, you'll scare them off to a prayer-a-palooza with the facts and then just spewin will rear its spirally head and tell us about how they are sinners and need to repent or how they are no true christians for going against the churches doctrines.

February 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  14. Doc Vestibule

Just becuase these people don't think that se.x can (and should) be fun, they're going to ensure that nobody else can enjoy it either.
    Squrting out one crotch critter after another is irresonsible.
    Intimacy is an integral part of a healthy marriage.
    Contraception is a good thing!

February 24, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  15. William Demuth

Do they really think angering woman will further the agenda?

If the left gets the Latinos on board and even a smal percentage of new woman, we could see a clean sweep by the left.

February 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

As the saying goes 'hell knows no fury like that of a woman scorned'.

February 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • captain america

As the saying goes a F'n canadian never knows what is none of their business. There's your sign

February 24, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

@CA: Give it a rest!! We already know you're a troll, now get back to your bridge and stop pretending to be an American citizen!

February 24, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • captain america

As long as you continue to inject your venom onto an innocent America, I will be there representing Truth, Justice and the American way,showing the unsuspecting your evil ungodly nature. One nation under God. There's your sign

February 24, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
    • Brad

captain america-

February 24, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

CA: As has been stated numerous time over, you do not represent America in a positive manner. There have been posts on this site about other countries, including Canada thus making it an international site. You need to take your hatred up with CNN not those of us taking advantage of a basic freedom we like to call freedom of speech.

February 24, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Primewonk

Brad asked, " I know I shouldn't be doing this, but I have to ask. Why is Canada your special project?"

Years ago he ordered a Canadian bacon pizza. He was irate when it had ham on it, instead of bacon. He hasn't been the same since.

February 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

@Brad
      I think the Cap'n resents beavers becuase he can't get any for himself.

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

cappie truly has nothing better to do with his life. He feels so much self loathing that he needs to attempt to troll a few people on this board in order to feel good about himself. If he weren't so close minded about his own pathetic life, it might be worth feeling sorry for him.

February 24, 2012 at 1:54 pm |
    • Bullwinkle

How does that syrupy, condescending, sanctimonious Christian line go... "@captain america, you must have been deeply wounded at sometime in your life by someone professing to be Canadian."

May a magical moose impart the message of truth to poor, miserable, insignificant @captain america.

February 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
    • captain america

Canada for Canadians, America for Americans, the problem is butt in canadians trying to influence US. America is none of their F'n business, take care of canada. They are infecting here, I ain't going there and would feel the same if it was Brazilians butting in. Truth be told Brazilians have more class.There's your sign

February 24, 2012 at 3:21 pm |
    • captain america

Bullwinkle J Moose and Rocket J Squirrel, citizens of Frostbite Falls, Minnesota, USA. Good Americans all. There's your sign

February 24, 2012 at 3:23 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Cappie I guess you really don't realize that this forum is open internationally do you. Then again anything that throws off your hate filled views is to be ignored isn't it? You truly are as pathetic as I thought.

February 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

cappie, you're so stupid it's a crime you're permitted to vote, own a car, or freely vomit on public sites.

February 24, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
  16. Reality

Some nitty-gritty:

"Twenty-one states offer exemptions from contraceptive coverage, usually for religious reasons, for insurers or employers in their policies: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan (administrative rule), Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas and West Virginia."

Next:

The Catholic hierachy do not believe in artificial birth control so why do they employ those who do? Did not the Supreme Court recently decide that religious organizations have the right to decide who they hire and fire? Bottom line: To reduce health insurance costs and to not be subject to Obama care regulations about supplying contraceptives, Catholic groups should simply not hire those in need of contraceptives and fire those who demand such coverage.

Next:

There are different opinions as to what a religion really is or what a non-profit is and therefore all non-profits should file Form 990's. At the moment, religious groups are exempt. To be fair therefore, there should be no tax-exemptions for any group and that includes the Democratic and Republican Parties. Faith and community initiative grant monies should also be cancelled and there should also be no tax deductions for contributions made to charities and non-profits.

Next:

"The government must stay out of hiring and firing decisions by a religious organization, even if a minister sues for employment discrimination, the Supreme Court ruled on Wednesday.

Religious freedom groups praised the decision, and especially the fact that it came from a unanimous court."

Next topic !!!

February 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
  17. momoya

There's millions dying around the world right now for lack of clean water and minimal nutrition... but yeah, the religious nuts should spend time and money on a measure that would restrict contraception. How utterly mean spirited and completely stupid.

February 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Brad

Politically expedient.

February 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
  18. Sue

Here again we see the republicans and evangelical conservatives (big overlap, sadly) continuing their war against women and against reproductive freedom and against women's rights. What a surprise (not).

February 24, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

February 24, 2012 at 11:44 am |
    • JohnQuest

Things like what?

February 24, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Prayer changes lives

February 24, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Primewonk

Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
      Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
      Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam.
      Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
      Spam spam spam spam!

February 24, 2012 at 1:46 pm |
    • just sayin

Truth Wonderful Truth

February 24, 2012 at 3:24 pm |
    • Nope

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs.

February 27, 2012 at 10:53 am |
  20. JohnQuest

I don't get this one, the religious groups do not have to provide this service.

February 24, 2012 at 11:29 am |