home
RSS
Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew
The American Atheists' president acknowledges that the pair of new billboards will likely cause a stir.
March 1st, 2012

Atheist group targets Muslims, Jews with ‘myth’ billboards in Arabic and Hebrew

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN) – The billboard wars between atheists and believers have raged for years now, especially around New York City, and a national atheist group is poised to take the battle a step further with billboards in Muslim and Jewish enclaves bearing messages in Arabic and Hebrew.

American Atheists, a national organization, will unveil the billboards Monday on Broadway in heavily Muslim Paterson, New Jersey and in a heavily Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood, immediately after the Williamsburg Bridge.

“You know it’s a myth … and you have a choice,” the billboards say. The Patterson version is in English and Arabic, and the Brooklyn one in English and Hebrew. To the right of the text on the Arabic sign is the word for God, Allah. To the right of the text on the Hebrew sign is the word for God, Yahweh.

Dave Silverman, the president of American Atheists, said the signs are intended to reach atheists in the Muslim and Jewish enclaves who may feel isolated because they are surrounded by believers.

“Those communities are designed to keep atheists in the ranks,” he says. “If there are atheists in those communities, we are reaching out to them. We are letting them know that we see them, we acknowledge them and they don't have to live that way if they don’t want to.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Silverman says the signs advertise the American Atheists’ upcoming convention and an atheist rally, called the Reason Rally, in Washington next month.

Atheists have long pointed to surveys that suggest atheists and agnostics make up between 3% and 4% of the U.S. population. That number increases when Americans unaffiliated with any religion are included. The Pew Center’s U.S. Religious Landscape Survey found that 16% are unaffiliated, though only a fraction of those are avowed atheists and agnostics.

Silverman acknowledges that the pair of new billboards will likely cause a stir.

“People are going to be upset,” he says. “That is not our concern.”

“We are not trying to inflame anything,” he continued. “We are trying to advertise our existence to atheist in those communities. The objective is not to inflame but rather to advertise the atheist movement in the Muslim and Jewish community.”

The billboards will be up for one month and cost American Atheists, based in New Jersey, less than $15,000 each, according to Silverman.

Mohamed Elfilali, executive director of the Islamic Center of Passaic County, laughed when he learned the Arabic billboard would go up in the same town as his office. He says he’s surprised that someone is spending money on such a sign.

“It is not the first and won’t be the last time people have said things about God or religion,” Elfilali says. “I respect people’s opinion about God; obviously they are entitled to it. I don’t think God is a myth, but that doesn’t exclude people to have a different opinion.”

But Elfilali bemoaned the billboards as another example of a hyper-polarized world.

“Sadly, there is a need to polarize society as opposed to build bridges,” he says. “That is the century that we live in. It is very polarized, very politicized.”

The Brooklyn billboard is likely to raise eyebrows among Jews, in part because Orthodox Jews don't write out the name of God, as the billboard does.

“It is an emotional word, there will be an emotional response," said Rabbi Kenneth Brander, dean of Yeshiva University's Center for the Jewish Future. "People will look at it in a bizarre way. People won’t understand why someone needed to write that out.”

To get around the prohibition, Jews usually use only one Hebrew letter in place of the word. In the Torah scroll, though, the word is found and it is pronounced Adonai, which means “my master.”

Rabbi Serge Lippe of the Brooklyn Heights Synagogue was more dismissive than outraged about the billboards.

“The great thing about America is we are marketplace for ideas,” he says. “People put up awful, inappropriate billboards expressing their ideas and that is embraced.”

But Lippe acknowledged that there are a lot of agnostic and atheist Jews. A recent Gallup survey found 53% of Jews identified as nonreligious. Among American Jews, 17% identified as very religious and 30% identified as moderately religious.

“When you have two Jews in the room, you have three opinions,” joked Lippe.

American Atheists have used the word “myth” to describe religion and God on billboards before. Last November, the organization went up with a billboard immediately before the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln tunnel that showed the three wise men heading to Bethlehem and stated “You KNOW it’s a Myth. This Season, Celebrate Reason.”

At the time, the American Atheists said the billboard was to encourage Atheists to come out of the closet with their beliefs and to dispel the myth that Christianity owns the solstice season.

The Christmas billboard led to a “counter punch” by the Catholic League, a New York-based Catholic advocacy group. The Catholic League put up a competing billboard that said, “You Know It's Real: This Season Celebrate Jesus."

Silverman says his group’s billboard campaigns will continue long into the future.

“There will be more billboards,” Silverman says. “We are not going to be limiting to Muslims and Jews, we are going to be putting up multiple billboards in multiple communities in order to get atheists to come out of the closet.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • Islam • Judaism • New York • United States

soundoff (5,946 Responses)
  1. Guy Fawkes

Got Atheism? Best beware. We are legion.

March 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Patrick

Well, you guys be legion. I am going to sit and watch for a while. I know my atheism can make some people get angry, and I would not want to be see them when they are angry. They can do nasty, nasty things with their rationalizations.

March 1, 2012 at 10:06 pm |
    • Yabochuk

PRetTy FunNy cOmmEnts foR A CathOlic THats beEN dead for 500 plUs yEars. MethiNks yoU dIDn't thinK tHAt ouT to WeLL.

March 1, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • Yabochuk

bRINg the 'LEGIon' ANyWays GUY!!!! SomETHINg TellS Me GuY #2 WilL enD Up juSt LikE Guy#1. OWWw THat wOULd hURT. .,

March 1, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  2. SciGuy

Does God love everyone equally? Or, is his love discriminating?

March 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

God IS Love....You would not be able to comprehend His ways: "As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts." Isaiah 55:9
      However, we can look to His Son, Jesus, to understand our Heavenly Fathers Love....He loves us so much He died for each of us. That's more than enough for me.

March 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • God loves you, SciGuy, and considers you to be of infinite worth.

March 1, 2012 at 7:51 pm |
    • SciGuy

Did Jesus die for every one? If so, why did he pray only for those who would believe in him (John 17)?

March 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • I2FTR

Wisdom does a lot of talking not sure it practices what it preaches when it comes to love 😉
      Enough with your lip service , already!

March 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
    • SciGuy

Can you point me to scriptural support for your claim that God loves me specifically?

March 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

You make a decision not to believe in God. Good for you. Here is a something to ponder. The year is 2012 AD I assume you know what the AD stands for. Clearly Jesus made his mark on the world.

March 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • SciGuy

Armylord, clearly yes Jesus left marks on this world; and this world left marks on him! But you did not answer my question.

March 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

@ 12farter ~~~~ Like I said, I've come a long way.....got a long way to go, and I make NO apologies for myself ....to you.

March 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • Al

The year is 2012 AD

No one uses AD anymore. CE (common era) is used today. Like you said, it's 2012. So wake up and stop believing in an old book of tales.

March 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

@SciGuy ~~~ I see what you're trying to do, however, you must go back and insert the word 'WHOSOEVER'....okay? Once you do that .....it covers EVERYONE who make the 'CHOICE' to believe. Our CHOICE.....but He still loves us regardless.

March 1, 2012 at 8:10 pm |
    • SciGuy

AI: no, many still use AD, and CE is empty of meaning. The better usage is AD.

March 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • SciGuy

Wisdom, I'm certain that inserting words in Jesus mouth is not an acceptable means of trying to understand what he meant by what he actually said. Can you cite some scriptural support for the common notion that God loves every one?

March 1, 2012 at 8:15 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

@Sciguy ~~~~ I know you know this but just because you've asked....here ya go: John 3:16

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. "

That covers Atheists, Christians, Muslims, Hindus, Buddists, etc……’whoever’.....we're all covered, just believe in Jesus/Yeshua our Savior.

March 1, 2012 at 8:18 pm |
    • SciGuy

Wisdom, John 3:16 is a great verse, one of my favorite. But the words translated in many versions as "whoever believes" or "whosoever believes" is actually the Greek for "everyone believing". The verse literally says that God loved the world so much that he gave his only son so that everyone believing in Jesus would have eternal life. This shows his love for believers, not for all without discrimination.

March 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

@SciGuy ~~~~~~ Ahhhhh, Duhhhhh!!! Let’s see….so by knowing that God has sacrificed His Only SON, and (you particularly), or a person, should ‘choose’ NOT to accept God’s invitation to ‘eternal’ life, through His Beloved Son, you think He‘s being ‘particle‘…huh…is that what you’re saying?
      Well, you’d better be glad He’s God and I’m not….’cause yo ass would be burnt to a crisp …even as I type. You got a lot of nerves.
      Know this: God is Holy, you are not….what makes you think that you can stand before a Holy God without the covering of Christ Jesus’ Blood? I know you ought to be shame!

March 1, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • John 17

SciGuy

John 17 (and Jesus' prayer) ends on this: “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.” He is praying about all who can believe. All who will come into the light as in John 3:19-21. Not everyone will. It is not clear to me how God's love can be expressed in people who do not accept him. I suspect it cannot. This does not mean that God does not love the entire world. He can only express his love in those who believe.

March 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • SciGuy

Wisdom, I'm not trying to frustrate you. I don't understand your "particle" comment? Yes, I agree that God is holy, and we are not. I am also acutely aware that I have no hope of escaping his wrath unless Jesus bore his wrath for me. On the other hand, if Jesus did die for me, then God cannot punish me for my sin, for "payment God cannot twice demand, first at my bleeding Surety's hand and then again at mine!" But it is this very hope that dictates that Jesus died for those, and only those, who believe in him. And these are the ones he loves. Not everyone without distinction.

March 1, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • SciGuy

John, Jesus prays specifically for his disciples, and for those who would believe on him through their witness. He specifically excludes the rest. This is a discriminating love, not a general indiscriminate love for all.

March 1, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
  3. MizzouJournalism

Atheist only want to see a worl free from the reigns of religion. We don't want religion telling us that the world is flat, that slavery is ok, that women can't use birth control or any of the other millions of statements the church has made in history and been wrong on.

The world doesn't believe in Mithra or Zeus and its time we all grow up and stop believing in all gods.

Please read a little here to see our side: http://www.godisimaginary.com

March 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • SciGuy

Slavery is not inherently a moral evil. Or, if you think it is, you should dedicate your life to abolishing prisons.

March 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Why would I want to leave the truth and believe a lie, What is the Great Reward in a world without faith? Let me guess... billboards. 😉

March 1, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  4. wisdom4u2

"Atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man." Francis Bacon (1625)
    So true....they say it but really they know better.

March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Double You Tee Eff

They need a "like" button here.

March 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

True indeed, I'd click it twice 😉

March 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post is a form of the ad hominem fallacy.

March 1, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Scotty

Only wisdom you have for others is your ad hominem. Good show!

March 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • My2Sense

He must have meant in the mind...in the thinking mind...:)

March 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • SciGuy

The original post is not an example of ad hominem.

March 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

don't be hatin'......it is what it is! The Truth shall set you free. T
      hey hated Jesus....so am I to be insulted because y'all don't agree with me? I think NOT!!!! As a matter of fact, y'all can kiss my.......

March 1, 2012 at 8:24 pm |
    • Patrick

Almost. We say it because we think better.

March 1, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
  5. Al

If you do not believe in God, then what r you fighting against. If God is nothing then you are fighting nothing. If people were to believe in rocks then you would be fighting someones belief in rocks. Sounds stupid, so then you would stop fighting rocks because you don't wont to look stupid. TOO LATE. Truth is they do believe in God. If not they would not be fighting so hard against something they don't think exist. God Is Love

March 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • wisdom4u2

Amen and Amen!

March 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Anon

When a christian like Santorum and his ilk wants to enforce theocratic morality on the rest of non-christians and non-believers, then we have problem.

March 1, 2012 at 7:48 pm |
    • YeahOk

"If you do not believe in God, then what r you fighting against."

Gonna assume you are an American Christian. Would you want Islam to take over the American government? Maybe because you don't want to have your life governed by a book you consider to be false?

March 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post is an instance of a False Cause fallacy.

March 1, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
  6. aurelius

Until the US elects an atheist president, this country will not be a nation that separates state and religion. Anyone with a minimum amount of culture should have read Voltaire, Helvetius, Diderot and d'Holbach among others, to get a definite thought on god and religion. Most great thinkers in history were atheists. Atheism is not for the feeble minded and will never meet the need of the simple minded plebeian masses.

March 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

I would not trade all the intellect in the universe for my walk with God. My God offers life forever in heaven. Your God Less movement says it's all over at the moment of death. Why would any logical person pick death over life?

March 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Post by 'U.S.Army-OverLord' is a form of the flawed argument known as Pascal's Wager.

March 1, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  7. Steve B.

Atheism is a religion and I'm not religious.

March 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • John

So is breating, eating, and taking a dump. What's your point?

March 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  8. mary

Atheists are the least trusted people in the world. If you don't believe in God why do you spend so much time trying to disprove Him. Seems to me it takes some kind of belief that something exists to claim that you don't believe in it and even more to spend money and time advertising it.

March 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • John

Silly Mary, you must be confused with religion. I get religious types preaching to me, coming to my home and trying to save me all the time. I've never had an anthiest come to my home and try to prove anything to me.

March 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • sybaris

So by your logic you don't trust anyone who doesn't believe in your god.

Thank you. You illustrate perfectly the poison that religion dispenses on its followers.

March 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • aurelius

Mary, you are so simple minded. I bet you vote Republican.

March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Double You Tee Eff

Silly John, you can't say "No, thanks." to anyone who gets preachy?

March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Atheist's companion

Some atheists do believe very strongly that religion is and has been a very bad thing. They will confront and fight the ignorance and stupidity that props it up. That is their mission.

March 1, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Crad

Hey john. This story is anout athiest coming to your public space and trying to prove something to you. Ive also heard of girlscouts trying to go door to door and sell cookies. Whats your point?

March 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  9. nvtncs

Can an atheist prove, using human logic and/or experimentation, that God does not exist and thus that God is a myth?
    If he can, he should publish it in Nature or the Phys Rev Letters or Acta Mathematica instead of stating an opinion on a billboard.

March 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • Spiffy

Can you prove that invisible unicorns don't exist?

March 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • MizzouJournalism

So you believe in Big Foot and Santa Claus?

March 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • Patrick

Spiffy, most all of science could not prove that the sub atomic particles existed we could only see how they were effecting other things. its the same with god just because you dont see him there does not mean he does not exist. think of god as an elusive subatomic particle they you have to look for...THEY NEVER STOP LOOKING FOR SUBATOMIC PARTICLES AND SUCH BUT THEY SURE WILL DISMISS GOD QUITE QUICKLY WITH NO SEARCHING WONT THEY? silly science god is like everything else your not gonna see him if your not looking hard.

March 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • nvtncs

Spiffy,
      You should not answer a question by and irrelevant question.
      At least I profess that I do not know if a unicorn exists and is invisible. While an atheist states that God is a myth without knowing. And he does not know whether God exists or not, else he would have proved that "IT" does not exists.
      You are therefore disingenuous if not downright dishonest.

March 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts or goblins

Where's the definitive, objective, independent, verifiable, factual proof of any god? None has been provided thus far and the burden of proof is on believers.

March 2, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  10. My2Sense

Those pretty signs remind me of my commute on I-94 outside of Detroit. There's a giant billboard with the famous silhouette of man's evolution from earlier species crossed out in red, followed by a caption to call an 800 number for the "real" Christian truth of genesis. Always put a smile on my face in rush hour traffic, as I pictured the credulous roasting mashmellows and waiting for a phone to ring, or as I wondered what the voice would sound like on the other end. Picture a NY cabby answering: "This is Sal, yeah I got your truth right here, ya maniac."

I'd just like to point out for people who are confused about that, we don't come from monkeys, we share a common ancestor. So see it as a fork in a road when similar things took two different routes. That's not so hard is it? As for objections about missing links, recent discoveries in the last few decades have provided many of the puzzle pieces. I encourage the curious to read "The Greatest Show on Earth" by R. Dawkins for the remarkable tale of our common history...something quite different from the often insidious tribal codes of caste and culture.

As for equating aetheism with fascism, why not start by finding out what the Nazi belt buckle said, or remembering that deified position the Eastern Emperors held, or the miracles involved in the name of the party. Ask youself, if these things correspond to reasonable people, who didn't restrict knowledge, its preservation, its questioning, and its creation. What were their public libraries like?–an interesting consideration. When was the last time you visited yours?

March 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  11. Jerry

The atheists are always trying to jam their non belief down people's throats. I get it, you don't believe and I do. What say we leave it at that and go on our separate ways. Folks shouldn't be knocking on doors to preach nor should people that do not believe be doing that. These folks claim they intend no harm when in fact they are deliberately causing trouble. That's their main purpose in life.... to believe in nothing and force others to think like them. Most are cowards anyhow. I ran into one of these weirdo's at a hockey game and while trying to watch the game with my grandson, this moron keeps spouting off his atheist rants. Without a word, a nice heavy slap to his face shut him up and the home team won.

March 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • Spiffy

Yeah atheists are causing trouble by making their beliefs known. I feel the same way about Christianity.

March 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • John

Silly man. Why is it that I never have athiest knocking on my door preaching to me?

March 1, 2012 at 7:34 pm |
    • momoya

Well, you're definitely a god believer–violence is always the answer for god and his chosen. You're proud of your violence, too, just like he is!

March 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Patrick

so true, they seek trouble because they have something to prove...i hope the billboards would just be ignored...but someone will feed their fire sadly, much easier to just ignore them =/

March 1, 2012 at 7:38 pm |
    • My2Sense

Jerry,
      I enjoyed your story. Nothing like a good ol' knuckle sandwhich to shut up a jerk, whatever their stripe. Glad the home team won, though I was routing for the opposition...

The troubel arises of course when someone routing for a cartoon, gets more than a freindly jab, and people loose their lives because of intolerance of freedom of expression, which should never be stifled by violence or threats of it. Would you agree?

March 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
    • Hamid

To silly John,
      The reason the athiest does not knock your door is because they don't care what happens when they die as they don't have believe in the life after death. When someone doesn't have logic and doesn't care what happens to himself or herself why he or she would care what happens to you. Therefore, when you see a righteous person (person who submits his/her will to GOD) who invites you to the way of the Only knowing and wise GOD who has created the heavens and the earth you and me and other human beings, the righteous person really does care about himself/herself and so does he wants good for others. That is the reason they knock your door.

March 1, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  12. the_dude

March 1, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

The dude you are kidding right/?? Clearly you do not understand.

March 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • momoya

They don't have to. Do you believe in unicorns because nobody has proved they don't exist?

March 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • MizzouJournalism

Dude...you are clueless. It's up to believers to prove that Santa exists and in spite of all their efforts, their is not one hint of proof...nothing!

March 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • YeahOk

"How do atheists prove that god does not exist? They sound just as wacky as a die-hard evangelical." Regurgitation #1,009,876.

I'm gonna go out on a limb on this one and assume that you don't believe in Santa, and I would assume that because there lacks any proof that Santa exists.

I do not believe in God, because there lacks any proof that God exists. So why do I need to prove something that has no proof of existing in the first place? Do I need to prove there are no Unicorns for you as well?

March 1, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • My2Sense

Put simply, the burden of proof rests with the person making the claim. For example:
      A: I just saw a Siamese white elephant delivering my mail.
      B: No kdding! Well, there should be tracks on your lawn, droppings in the street, etc. Let's go have a lookI
      A: You're insulting my religion!!! Why don't you believe me!!

This is actually how it sounds to the non-believer...

March 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
  13. RT

Everything is a dang religion nowadays

March 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Jerry

Yes RT, it is for those who have to throw their beliefs in other folks faces. Whatever it is that you or I believe in, we should keep it to ourselves unless asked. I have no problem with anyone until they try to jam something down your throat. Live and let live. Atheists are the problem..... they are scared of something, that's for sure.

March 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
  14. Patrick

Wow, so you put up billboards to try and gain numbers to your cause and say your "reaching out" sounds to me like your doing the same thing the religions are telling people to think like you because you think your right? what makes you atheists so different? you do not believe in god but you believe in this cause you champion, your doing the same things we are all the same no matter what we believe its just people try to gain support and therefor gain power. that my fellow humans is the problem not what we believe.

March 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • YeahOk

March 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • YeahOk

Why did God make me reply to the wrong post? Sheesh.

March 1, 2012 at 7:40 pm |
  15. John

We have to have an enemy. This is human nature. Good and Evil must co-exist for us simple beings. We pick a club and demonize all the other clubs because we are preprogrammed to do so. I'm better then you! We artue for the sake of arguing. We creae drama because we need drama to exist. Evolution is painfully slow.

March 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  16. KEKC

Not that I am trying to offend anyone, but I cannot take grown people seriously if they are stuck in the Middle Ages with their silly rituals and childish god fearing.

March 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • YeahOk

But yet they do take offense. How do you sugarcoat that Santa doesn't exist?

March 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
  17. Joshua

see tb joshua and see for yourself. Real.10000000%

March 1, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
  18. Abu Yusuf

..right...and complicated living organisms somehow by chance converted from gaseous lifeless matter..right??? and where did that lifeless matter come from? Atheists for some reason think that Muslims (and others) believe in One True God because of fairy tales, stories, myths and are brainwashed. Whereas in reality, there is overwhelming evidence in the Qur'an about the existence of a Creator. I think that Atheists are the ones brainwashed.

March 1, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • MizzouJournalism

"overwhelming evidence"...that is hilarious.

March 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Well stated, These non believers are often the first ones to try to tear down people of faith. The only thing they will get with those billboards is more scorn from people.

March 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Crad

Mizzo. Scientists actually have a number for the possibilities that life evolved from nothing. Its such a massively impossible number that most dont consider it possible, by a long shot. In some terms, thats evidence

March 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Crad

The only point of thos billboards is to antagonize. They are speaking to people of faith saying "you know its a myth".. How much more antagonistic can you get

March 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • Observer

Crad,

So tell us that God came from nothing and then made the universe out of nothing.

March 1, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • Zoldknight

Ah, you see, the creation of life on its own IS possible. However, the biggest problem is that it is extremely unlikely to happen, and we are just talking about single celled organisms. The chance of large organisms evolving is insanely small, to the point of basically being impossible. (For a mental picture, think of the theory of the fifty monkeys bashing on a keyboard. Given infinite time, they will eventually write one of Shakespeare's work. Now, replace infinite time with 5.5 trillion years. Give the fifty monkeys the paper, and sit them down. If they make too big of mistakes, shoot the monkey. If all the monkeys are dead, give up.) So, between the impossible and the insane, it becomes a tough choice.

March 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Hey overseer what if I told you God told me he was real? If he showed me what is waiting for me after death. I know you would say I'm crazy or some other BS. So you have what you want to have. God Created this world period. Everything living in this world will understand this at some point.

March 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Crad

Observer. What does your post have to do with what i said? Scientists came up with that number and you refute it by putting god into the equation? Thats not logical

March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • My2Sense

Abu,
      If there's overwhelming evidence, then why is it untranslatable? Today, even the most complicated theories of physics enjoy an international, multi-lingual readership. Surely we could comprehend your evidence.

March 1, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
  19. thegadfly

Want something to believe in? Look up "Information Physics" on Wikipedia.

March 1, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • Salero 21

Really gadfly! Wikipedia is ok as a reference, as a starting point, for Elementary, Middle and High schoolers but it's reliability has been questioned many times. Articles from Wikipedia are Not commonly accepted whole by school teachers, much less college entry levels. Really, really is better to believe the Bible than Wikipedia.

March 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Jerry

LOL..... So that's where you are getting your information? LOL..... Why do you think those folks are begging people for money to keep the site going. You'd get better info from your paperboy. But in today's world, if the Internet says there isn't a God, then it must be true..... how stupid can you be?

March 1, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  20. MizzouJournalism

March 1, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Phil

I've been there numerous times for references.

The problem is - the morons claim "we're taking things out of context". I wonder how many of them have read the ENTIRE bible from beginning to end? Probably only two. If they did, they'd realize it contradicts itself at every turn. They just want to read the parts that relate to their life. They skipped over all the gory parts.

March 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Crad

I got news for you, god is not imaginary. You may think so, but i have proof. Its more than enough for me. But youll never know if you never seek. Sitting around saying god is imaginary without ever opening your eyes to look for it is really bizzare.

March 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Crad

Hey phil, i know a lot of people who have read the bible from end to end. In fact many many of them. And whats wrong with applying the bible to your life? I dont get your point

March 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Observer

Crad,

So you have "proof" but can't show us. Well done.

March 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Al

i have proof.

Good one...

March 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Phil

@ Crad

See the thing is... We have opened our eyes (and minds) and this is why we don't believe any longer... Because it's stupid.

If you have proof, then show us. I expect to live about another 35 to 40 years - come up with it by then please.

March 1, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • MizzouJournalism

Card has proof and knows people that have read the bible yet doesnt get the reference to the gory parts or how people pick and choose from what the bible says. Card, do you eat pork?

March 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Crad

Yes, i have proof. How would you like it? Give me a form of proof that you will accept and i will give it to you. Yu want a picture? I didnt think so. You want a drawing, a video? You wouldnt believe it. So what proof do you want, tell me.

March 1, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • U.S.Army-OverLord

Hey Crad I have proof as well, why is it the non believers don't have proof. It's because they don't BELIEVE IT LOL

March 1, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • Crad

Phil. Calling the concept of god stupid is weird. For thousand and thousands of years, people smarter than everyone on this board have regulalry convened to discuss matters of god. But somehow you got the answer correct here on cnn?

March 1, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • Observer

Crad,

Extremely simple. God just takes less than 5 seconds and announces to the entire world "This is God. Follow my Bible".

The controversy and killing is over. BILLIONS and BILLIONS of people are saved.

FIVE SECONDS.

March 1, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • Crad

Great, and how would you like that announcement? Clouds part and a voice fills the sky? In 5 minutes everyone would say it was mass hysteria, the haarp project, or a massive magic trick. How exactly would you like that announcement delivered? Give me a way that would be proof and not subject to doubt.

March 1, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Zoldknight

@observer
      I see your point, but it kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?I mean, according to the bible, God wants us to CHOOSE to follow him. According to them, it's why he gave us free will. He doesn't want people just blindly following him. That said, i think people of any religion should research on their own all the different religions. They may find something that disproves theirs or proves another, or more likely they will find the truth. The truth being- we will never know, till we are dead and rotting in the ground.

March 1, 2012 at 7:43 pm |
    • Crad

I have to go but the point im making is that a relationship with god is personal. God and proof have nothing in common. Proof is a very primitve concept, and actually only applies on earth. Why would trust something like "proof" when it falls apart in other places in the universe? 2+2 =4 can be proved, and you then believe it. But in other places of the universe math doesnt work and all logic falls apart. So its a relative concept. But you want to use proof in relation to a universal god. It doesnt work.

March 1, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Observer

Crad,

Pitiful EXCUSES to avoid the facts.

If EVERYONE in the world heard the same announcement simultaneously, who calls the others hysterical?

Is that really ALL you can come up with?

FIVE SECONDS to save the world. Get serious.

March 1, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Salero 21

Phil, thou shall not call anybody moron if thou does not know what you are talking/writing about.

I have read the Bible from begining to end, chapter by chapter, verse by verse, word by word. In English and Spanish. I have read different versions, NIV, NASB, the Jerusalem Bible (Catholic). The Reina Valera 1960 in Spanish. I can read and understand much of the Latin Vulgate and Portuguese and some of the Italian version. Believe me, the apparent "contradictions" are minimal. Especially considering that there are 31,195 verses, 1189 chapters and more than 300,000 words in the Protestant versions alone. There are still translators working to improve the clarity and resolve the difficulties.

At least, before blowing so much hot air, do us the grace to acknowledge that is has been a difficult task to translate the Scriptures and is Not an easy task to read and Understand it.

March 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
    • Al

Why do you obey the laws of the land? Why don't you just start doing people wrong? If you don't believe stop living the way he intended for us to live and go do your own thing.Oh That's right he gave you a mind to think, so you know that would not be smart.

March 1, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70
About this blog