home
RSS
Hebrew atheist billboard gets bumped in New York
The American Atheists' president acknowledged that the pair of new billboards will likely cause a stir, and the did.
March 7th, 2012

Hebrew atheist billboard gets bumped in New York

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)–A controversial billboard from a national atheist group was scheduled to go up in a heavily populated Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn on Tuesday but was bumped when the owner of the building objected to the advertisement.

CNN first reported the billboards were targeting Muslim and Jewish enclaves with, “You know it’s a myth … and you have a choice,” written on billboards in Arabic and Hebrew.

The Brooklyn billboard was in English and Hebrew. To the right of the text on the Hebrew sign is the word for God, Yahweh.

American Atheists president David Silverman said he went to the Brooklyn location when the billboard was scheduled to be put up with reporters and was surprised to see it was not being erected. “We sat there and watched and the billboard didn't go up,” he said. "The Jewish landlord of the building saw the billboard and refused to let it go up," he said.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Silverman said it was a clear case of religious bigotry. "It was very disappointing to me because I was raised Jewish," he said by phone from New York. "They've been the victims of religious bigotry and now they're the purveyors."

When reached by phone, Kenneth Stier the owner of the building that rejected the billboard in the heavily Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, offered a polite “no comment” on the matter.

Silverman said the billboard has been moved out of the residential area and put up in a pricier spot off a major highway at no additional cost. He added that while it was nice to have more visibility, his group was specifically targeting that Brooklyn neighborhood.

Jim Cullinan, vice president for marketing & communications for Clear Channel told CNN in an e-mail, “We found space for both ads and this contract is being fulfilled,” but would not comment on moving the billboard out of the residential area in Brooklyn.

“It is against our policy to comment on any of our advertisers' campaigns,” he wrote.

Silverman said he was disappointed by the development. “We wanted to get into the residential neighborhood because so many Hasidic are closeted atheists,” he said.

He said they received over a dozen e-mails from closeted atheist Hasidim who thought they were alone until news of the ad campaign broke.

"This is why atheists need to come out of the closet," Silverman said.

Silverman again reiterated the signs advertise the American Atheists’ upcoming convention and an atheist rally, called the Reason Rally, in Washington scheduled for April.

Atheists have long pointed to surveys that suggest atheists and agnostics make up between 3% and 4% of the U.S. population. That number increases when Americans unaffiliated with any religion are included. The Pew Center’s U.S. Religious Landscape Survey found that 16% are unaffiliated, though only a fraction of those are avowed atheists and agnostics.

Silverman told CNN last week he knew that the pair of new billboards will cause a stir.

“People are going to be upset,” he said. “That is not our concern.”

“We are not trying to inflame anything,” he continued. “We are trying to advertise our existence to atheist in those communities. The objective is not to inflame but rather to advertise the atheist movement in the Muslim and Jewish community.”

CNN's Dan Merica contributed to this report.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Islam • Judaism

soundoff (1,757 Responses)
  1. Give me a break

I can not believe half of what I am reading. All people have the right to what they feel. I feel that some of the parents of those posting nasty comments should have used birth control. Then maybe we wouldn't have to read comments like
    "I"m just politely disregarding your existence".

March 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • rico

I that really bothers you, what does that say about you. It could have been profanity laced, would that have been better?

March 7, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • rico

oh and btw why would you sit and read all of this unless it does something for you. And instead of clicking off the page you also had to input your thought. Again. Your fake just like the rest of em.

March 7, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • EvolvedDNA

Give me a break..."i cant believe half of what I reading" thats all we ask of you guys, just think a a little bit.

March 7, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Zombie Squirrels Shall Feast Upon Your Nuts!

"Iim just politely disregarding your existence".

That's a good line. I wish I had thought of it.

March 8, 2012 at 12:38 am |
  2. gupsphoo

More importantly, what's wrong with letting people know that they actually have a choice?

March 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
  3. gupsphoo

What's wrong with having a choice?

March 7, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • rico

Nothing. Options are good. In fact every holiday season i put a sign on my yard that says, "Tis the season to believe in different possabilities.

March 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • gupsphoo

Exactly, rico. Those who are opposed to this billboard are simply saying they don't want people have the choice to disbelieve what they believe.

March 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • jim619

Ok, so using your logic then, don't be sad when Christians put up their signs. They just want to give an option too,right? Remember,don't be fake rico!

March 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • gupsphoo

@jim619 – Christians put up signs ALL THE TIME. We're used to it.

March 8, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  4. J Mo

Rico

So in giving my opinion, your response of I"m just politely disregarding your existence makes you respectful of others and how they feel. People should only exist if they agree with you. Ok, and people who have faith have issues.

Have a blessed night

March 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • rico

I'm not being respectful of others. You haven't given me a reason to. And if you religious folk are being respectful of others, you'll keep your religion to yourself in a manner that would allow me to now hear it.

March 7, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • rico

*now = not

March 7, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  5. scranton

When David Silverman is lying on his deathbed he will be asking Gods forgiveness. Atheist always hedge their bets in the end.

March 7, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And religious morons always screw up plural nouns.

Thanks for playing.

March 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Gadflie

Scranton, do you have any actual evidence to back up this laughable theory of yours?

March 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • momoya

In the past few years quite a few notable atheists have died, and though people were at their side, the dying atheist did NOT cry out to any god or other mythical figure.

March 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • Kimica

You guys, scranton is only saying that because that's all s/he knows. Religious nuts are the ones who cling to their beliefs because they have a profound fear of death and what happens afterwards. They cling desperately to their beliefs like a child clinging to its mother's legs, scared to death of hell and desperate for a "safety net". Atheists, on the other hand, know that god, heaven, and hell are ridiculous fairy tales and DO NOT EXIST. We don't cry out for god or forgiveness on our deathbeds, because we do not fear what does not exist.

March 8, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
  6. Gadflie

Yes, you obviously have no idea what a scientific theory is. Perhaps you should work on alleviating your ignorance. For example, just because there is a Theory of Gravity does NOT mean that gravity itself, or evolution, isn't indeed a fact.

March 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  7. J Mo

Rico

your comment again proves my point. What a horrible thing to say. How hateful. What does a say about you.

March 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • rico

The truth hurts. If i was in front of you I could poke logic holes all over your beliefs in 5 min. Your fake like all the other ones.

March 7, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
  8. J Mo

Bootyfunk,

I speak for myself, two wrongs do not make a right. My faith is my own. I choose to try and see the good in all beliefs and non. When a person make hateful and "slamming" comments they are no better than the people who they see are doing wrong.

March 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

and do you defend atheists when you're religious buddies tell you atheists are going to hell? or is that not a slam?

March 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  9. dave836

I find it funny that Atheists have an organization that's wealthy enough to hang billboards wherever they want.

Ironic...

March 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • rico

Thats only ironic if you don't know what ironic means.

March 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

as opposed to the churches that don't pay taxes and have 1000 times the money, all swindled out of the hands of gullible sheep.

March 7, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
    • TheRationale

I'm an atheist myself and I'm not entirely sure why atheists would get together.

It's probably more of an anti-theist club, really. I don't like the billboards in particular, though. They seem very patronizing and very annoying.

I mean yes, it's very easy to show that these religions are completely unsubstantiated, but you don't make friends by telling people they're stupid, or making them feel like they should "know better."

March 8, 2012 at 12:20 am |
  10. rico

god is an imaginary friend for grownups. And if you don't agree. I don't care.

March 7, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
    • J Mo

Thank you for proving my point..................slamming people makes you what?

March 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

telling the truth isn't 'slamming' someone. God is imaginary. how is that a slam?

March 7, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Shawn

lol..... why are you commenting if you don't care then? and Why don't you care? what if the Mormons ruled this nation? what if AL Queda took over this nation? would you care then?
      I will share with you this, if someone like you took over this nation, I will lose all hope.

March 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • rico

I see. So giving my opinion is slamming people. O-k, I'm way to tired to talk to someone like you, J MO. I'm not slamming you, I"m just politely disregarding your existence.

March 7, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
  11. J Mo

I thank God everyday that my son is able to do what a 1 yr old should do. Yes I said God. I thank God everytime I came back from Childrens Hospital with good news. Who are any of you to slam people with faith. What does that make you? I thank God everyday that my mom made it through a stroke, that I have 5 beautiful kids. Don"t slam me for my faith. Why be disrespectful, why be hateful. What does that say about you.

March 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • rico

I do have freedom from your religion right? How come everywhere I look, religious nut-jobs are always trying to ram it down everyone's throat. And then when an athiest group puts up a billboard, its suddenly so so wrong. Hypocrytical retards.

March 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

do you thank God when you see Christians protesting at gay funerals? you bring up hatred but Christians are best at hating and bigotry. i can show you countless examples of people doing evil in the name of "religion". please show me evil done in the name of atheism.
      Christians have put up 1000s of pro-religious billboards already. did you hear us cry? no. we "cry" when you put up your religious displays in our courthouses. see a difference?
      and funding health care... we cried? are you crazy? Catholics cried about having to reproductive health care for their NON-Catholic employees. i know you think churches should be able to fire/hire anyone they want. Christians are the ones that don't want to follow laws for women's healthcare. it's the religious crying about having to be modern humans.

March 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • BigTex

Not to be rude, but you should not be thanking God. You should be thanking good doctors and great advancements in the medical industry.

March 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • jim619

@ rico and @bootyfunk People can do thingsin the name of being a "Christian" but their actions and words show if they are truly a Christian. Just because they say they are something doesn't mean that they are. I am a Christian and I think that it's one of the ugliest things that is done to a soldier's family. Those that protest those funerals are not doing anything in the name of my God.

March 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm |
    • rico

Jim I could poke holes into your god belief in 5 min.

March 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • jim619

@bigtex Just because you said "not to be rude", doesn't mean that you aren't being rude. Why do you care what J Mo believes in? Her relationship with her "God" is hers and hers alone. Your response is exactly the double standard that confuses me about atheists. You can believe as you see fit, but J Mo is not allowed to believe in how she sees best? Why don't you tell all of us how we should believe.

March 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

you're saying being a christians depends on your actions. but you obviously haven't read the bible. the bible tells christians in no uncertain terms to KILL all non-believers: atheists, agnostics, buddhists, taoists, jews, muslims, etc. EVERYone. look it up. it's true.

i would argue, that according to your own rule book, YOU are not being a good christian if you don't hate h_o_m_o_s_e_x_u_a_l_s. "man laying with man is abomination" leviticus. then says to kill them. that book says to do really heinous things to your fellow man. if people were "real" christians, actually followed the bible, they would be among the worst people on earth.

you sound like a nice person. drop the religion and just be a nice person. you'll be nicer without it.

March 7, 2012 at 9:56 pm |
    • jim619

@rico Why do you care what I believe in? I don't care what you believe in. You don't need to poke holes in my God. I have my beliefs and that is all I need.

March 7, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • ashrakay

J Mo, if you told us that you thank the aliens in the sky who fertilized the egg that your child was born from, then asked us not to slam your faith, well that's what we hear when you say things like that. Guess what... keep the crazy on the inside and you won't have to worry about people slamming on it. I have all kinds of whack ideas. I just don't go spewing them around and expecting people to accept them and not ridicule me for them. When I was a kid, I believed that if I believed hard enough that I could fly like superman. If I still believed that today, then decided to share that with people on a forum, I would be opening myself to whatever criticism came my way. We all, atheists and religonuts alike open ourselves to scrutiny when we post messages that contain opinions. If you don't like it, go back to your cave.

March 7, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
    • jim619

@ashrakay It's funny that you say "religonuts". Tolerance must not be part of your belief system. I guess that your atheist beliefs are correct and the only belief system that all should follow. I don't think that anyone's feelings are hurt if you say that you don't believe in God and that you believe a different way. So, why are you telling someone else that they must believe as you do?

March 7, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • ashrakay

@jim619, Nope. I'm not at all tolerant of ignorance. I see it as a disease that needs to be rooted out of society before we destroy ourselves. To my knowledge, I have never told anyone that they should believe what I do. Again, that's the job of religion. I do however point to a set of facts and evidence that all responsible adults should acknowledge for the betterment of mankind as a whole. I'll dum.b it down for you... Should we as a society tolerate illiteracy? Will this better us as a whole if we just respect that some people don't read and shouldn't have to. Should our society as a whole then have to make concessions to accommodate that ignorance? Rather, we point to a set of definable constants that we can use to express concepts into translatable formats which we call words or equations. If you want to know how we feel, think about your child. Would you allow them to not learn to read? Wouldn't that sicken you as a parent? Yes, that's how we feel about fantasy-based ideologies like religion.

March 7, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • jim619

Ignorance should be eliminated. But someones belief in Christ is not ignorance. There's religion and then there's a personal relationship with God. Why do you care about my relationship with my God? Just because I don't believe as you do, doesn't mean that I'm wrong. You're allowed to believe or not believe as you choose. Don't try to force your beliefs on me, just as I won't force my beliefs on you. I'm a Christian, but I can't say when the last time that I actually had someone force their Christian beliefs on me. It seems that people try to make it seem as though non-believers experience people pushing Christian views on them constantly. Give me a break!

March 7, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • jim619

Ignorance should be eliminated. But someones belief in Christ is not ignorance. There's religion and then there's a personal relationship with God. Why do you care about my relationship with my God? Just because I don't believe as you do, doesn't mean that I'm wrong. You're allowed to believe or not believe as you choose. Don't try to force your beliefs on me, just as I won't force my beliefs on you. I'm a Christian, but I can't say when the last time that I actually had someone try to force their beliefs on me. It seems that people try to make it seem as though non-believers experience people pushing Christian views on them constantly. Give me a break!

March 7, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
    • ashrakay

@jim619, Yea Jim, you really nailed the problem with the world. It's all of the atheists trying to push their atheist agenda on religious people. Like I said, whatever fantasy you choose to believe in the privacy of your brain IS your business. However, when you decide you want to come out of the closet and share with the world that you believe in god, leprechauns, fairies, that aliens are kidnapping your when you sleep and probing you, or whatever other unsubstantiated, unsupported by evidence theory you want to profess, then you make it our business. That means we then have a choice. Sit back and let your sickness infect other weak-minded people, or make every attempt to shut down the meme before it contaminates others.

March 7, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
    • jim619

Again, you must be in the right and have all the answers. I feel sorry for you that you can't just let me believe as I want. I have not come out of any closet. I have not forced any religious beliefs on you. Sorry if me saying that I am a Christian offends you. I didn't ask you to join me in my beliefs or push any "religion" on you. Your intolerance is evident. Sorry that my beliefs can't be laid on a table in front of you. That is why they call them beliefs. I am certainly not a weak minded person. I have formed my beliefs through studying the Bible and discussing it. I will let you believe as you want even though I don't agree with it. By you coming out of the closet as an Atheist, you are opened up to society's scrutiny of your "beliefs". Don't be crying that your not treated fairly when people don't agree with your views because you clearly don't hesitate to bash Christians or anyone that doesn't see things the way that you do. I will pray for you and that you will be able to tolerate those that don't see eye to eye with you. God loves you!

March 7, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • BigTex

Oh dear Jim – I'm not an atheist. I sir am a very proud agnostic and have an open mind to everything. For sure I knew that someone would use my words against me – but Christians bother me the most with this stance...God saves.

So the original postee – she said that she thanked God for saving her two loved ones. So I'm guessing anyone else down the hall must have been non-believers and were sent right to damnation?

I know that is a very extreme stance, but the true beings that should be thanked for saving the loved ones are the doctors, nurses, etc. that actually did the work.

I don't know of any God that really picks and chooses who is saved, and who is not when they are ill.

March 7, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • ashrakay

@jim619, Please... have a stab at my beliefs. Scrutinize them. That's what science is all about. I believe in the big bang. There's even a picture of it. MCBGR. We have things like doppler shift to indicate motion. We have mathematical equations to balance out the universe. But if you have more evidence otherwise, then by all means, submit it to the science community. They're are just as much about disproving things as proving them. I believe in natural selection. Humans have been naturally selecting the breeding of dogs, orchids, roses and cabbages for thousands of years. This is fact. If I want a dog to have a longer nose I can breed him a series of generations to produce it. In fact breeding traits is quite simple if you know the genetic traits and how they mix, have the time and a lot of trial and error.

You see, the difference here is... you won't be attacking me if you attack my beliefs. You'll be attacking reality. Science. Evidence. Why would I take that personally. I didn't make the rules. I just observe them. Now if I tell you that the sky is green and the grass is blue, you'd probably want a little more proof of that before you chose to believe it. And you certainly wouldn't sit idly by while someone who believed such a thing tried to push their agenda by way of politics. You've proven that just by participating in this conversation. Whether it makes you feel good or not, facts are facts. Whether it makes you feel good to believe your doctor is lying to you when he tells you you have cancer, doesn't change the reality of you having cancer. Sure it feels good to think otherwise. That's the easy way. Man up. Life is short, hard and then you die. Don't miss out on your opportunity to see reality. The clock is ticking.

March 8, 2012 at 12:11 am |
  12. Informed

The most likely reason the building owner refused the sign is because he didn't want his building fire bombed. Extremists exist within all religious groups, now that's a FACT.

March 7, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  13. mike

although it is a bit funny how every other person in every other article they call gives a 'no comment' but the jewish apt. owner gives a 'polite no comment'

March 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  14. mike

err... its 2012 guys.. if you want you target closet atheists you don't need to put a billboard on top of a jewish apt., try the internet. You're just trying to be provocative and get seen on TV.

unfortunately, the message fails.

March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

wrong. you fail. you've obviously never lived as an atheist surrounded by cult members. it's a great message encouraging atheists to come out.

March 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

I have lived in all white communities so the it would ok if I posted a few Black Power signs. One of friends is a Lesbian ... I guess a few signs aimed at your wives, girlfriends and daughters saying ...you know you would rather be with a woman .... No problem then?

March 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Mark

I'm not sure how you can equate things based in bilology (race, se.xual preference) to religious opinion. Kind of a stupid argument.

March 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

keep show the ignorance. you're comparing being an atheist to a black power group in a white neighborhood? how is that a fair comparison? in what way is a black power group like an atheist group?

and yes, i would love to see signs encouraging lesbian women to come out, be it my daughter, mother or wife. yes, if she was a lesbian, i'd want to know. and i'd want her to know so she could find a lesbian woman to be happy with and i could find a straight woman to be happy with. use your brain.

March 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Bootyfunk, You know, @Marks remarks have that kind of accidental rac.ist/accidental hom.ophobe quality I hear slipping out of my father. They just get so blinded by the bubble that they are living in that they don't even realize when they're calling themselves out.

March 7, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • It's a trap! It's a trap!

I noticed that too. It's that latent bigotry of people who emphatically swear that they are not bigotted against spics and wops and kikes and niggers and fags, and actually believe it. (Politically incorrect bait set. Awaiting the inevitable bites on the line).

March 7, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
  15. Khalid Khan

The holy Qur'an is revealed book and God Himself is the protector of it. 15:10 "And if you are indoubt as to what We have sent down to Our servent, then produce a chapter like it, and call upon your helpers beside Allah, if you are truthful." 2:24
    This is Gos's challange to all mankind includin you. Take this challange and produce some thing like it. But if you can't do it then shut up and accept it.

March 7, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • ashrakay

Please try to keep your crazy on the inside.

March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Dave

I produced something like it; its the packaging of my toilet paper – reads just like the kuuuran except doesn't call jews and christians dogs...

March 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Informed

Your comment makes no sense. If you're saying that the Qur'an is true because god wrote it then that is indeed a most excellent circular argument (read nonsense).

March 7, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • The Flaming Quran

The Quran is a joke and a fairy tale – it's just a handbook for the brainwashed. Your God sits next to Santa Claus, accept it and shut up. Sound good?

March 7, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
  16. OPN

So let me get this straight... these people have the gumption to give this Jewish guy a sign calling his deeply-held personal beliefs that go back thousands of years a "myth", and because the guy decides not to hang such an unsupported attack on his religion on his property, that makes him a bigot? What a joke. Am I also a bigot for electing not to hang a "Jews are foolish, and so are muslims" sign on the side of my house? Serves them right anyway. It's not like these people think they're going to convince folks to give up their religious beliefs because of a billboard, it's just inflamatory garbage.

March 7, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • momoya

You have a very poor understanding of the facts..

March 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Adam

@ momoya
      I see a lot of your posts on here are rebuttals, but no facts to back them up. For example, in one post you state "You have a poor understanding of the facts"...can you back that up? Another post "Please read the article before posting"...but you don't say what you are disagreeing with. A good debate has to have points (which is what the poster has) and counterpoints (which you are seeming to lack). kthxbye!

March 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Adam

How about this. An advertising company cannot just put up a billboard without anyone knowing if it's on a privately owned area (aka a building with a billboard space). A contract needs to be signed, and the owner of the building should know what is being erected. If he objects he can call for an arbitration hearing and bring his complaint and a solution to the table. The fact that he did not and the group putting the billboard up did not find out there was an issue with the owner until that day shows that either A) The owner caved to pressure within the community, which means he is in breach of a contract or B) There was no contract for that particular billboard and he rents the space out to a company to do with as they wish, in which case the company would need to bring up the complaint through the proper channels.

March 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
  17. Cassandra Chu

... we all know it's a myth...

March 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • ashrakay

well, at least WE do... even if they don't yet.

March 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm |

i believe in God. You probably believe in man made global warming

March 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Yes

Man made global warming is ridiculous, the world goes through a cooldown and warmup phase. Man contributing to an increase in global warming is, however, something that is true.

March 7, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Yes, you'd have to be a complete idiot not to see the reality of the evidence that man is increasing the temperature of the planet. But, you go ahead and wear your ignorance banner proudly. I'm sure someone in you backward holler will think you're special and suggest you run for republican president.

March 7, 2012 at 9:04 pm |
    • ashrakay

@HawaiiGuest, I think @Yes is f-ing trolling us. Man... it's so hard to tell sometimes.

March 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm |

My favorite Liberal quote. When Man made global warming became unpopular it became climate change, when pro-abortion became unpopular it became pro-choice, when being a liberal became unpopular you became progressives

March 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm |

I am not trolloing just trying to educate

March 7, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Yes

And what studies do you cite for your assertions? What proof do you offer that man does not contribute to global warming at all?

March 7, 2012 at 9:17 pm |

listen i can tell you re extreme on this. But common sense tells you that earth has a tremendous ability to recover. It unrealistic to think in such a short period of time man could do this. About science you know as well as me that science works on theroy not fact and they change all the time

March 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
    • Gadflie

Yes, I find it amusing how many conservatives are so anti-science. Don't you realize that is the same as being pro-ignorant?

March 7, 2012 at 9:31 pm |

i feel science has it's place. But it is based on Theroy. Not fact. Just do yourself a favor and look at the whole picture

March 7, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Yes

And yet you give absolutely nothing to back-up your assertion. Stop trying to dodge it and either cite reliable sources and information, or just admit that it is merely an opinion. There is also a huge difference between a scientific theory and the word theory that is used in everyday conversation.

March 7, 2012 at 9:35 pm |

did not mean to offend you & your friends. We are just going to have to disagree. A few yrs. ago science came up with the big bang theory. Before that they had a differant theory

March 7, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Yes

The Big Bang theory has nothing to do with this. You refuse to discuss and back up your assertions. Stop dodging.

March 7, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Yes, Trust me, when I found out you were not trolling I still considered abortion to be a popular idea.

March 7, 2012 at 10:04 pm |

Fact tempatures have been fluctuating 10"s of thousands of yrs. The problem with scientists are that they have made thi= their religion and that's bad for all of us. Science has an obligation to always keep searching fior the truth It's a never ending journing

March 7, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Miracle

My fused bones healed 2 hours after a prayer asking for aid. From my viewpoint it is more favorable to believe in my "Myth". X-Rays do not lie. I have before & after films & consults with surgeons who were unable to treat it because "they will just fuse again". My personal doctor said "whatever you did, keep on doing it". Go ahead, laugh at me, sneer at me, scoff at it, but I am the one healed without scientific aid & living better because I believe. I will ask God to bless all of you. I cannot hurt you by asking . I wish you well.( turning off my light & going to bed now, goodnight)

March 7, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • ashrakay

@Miracle, "Go ahead, laugh at me, sneer at me, scoff at it..." Okay... I'm laughing at you, but I'm also crying for you. Your bones defied the laws of physics. Well, maybe you should pray back some limbs for amputees. I'm sure there are some war vets who lost limbs fighting to protect you that would really be thankful if you did.

March 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
  18. Yes

March 7, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • ashrakay

Are you including fox news in that statement or are you just claiming fox news isn't media?

March 7, 2012 at 9:01 pm |

As you should know that Fox is Fair & Balanced

March 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Steve in St. Louis

And how to you presume to know such a thing?

March 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Yes

FOX fair and balanced? Nothing can truly express how hard I am loling right now.

March 7, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Informed

Fox news is a joke. It's as bad as the official news agency of North Korea except for the Rep party.

March 7, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
    • LinCA

@Yes

You said, "if they directed it just at christians it would have been ok. The media would not even mention it"
      They have in the past, and it caused a shitstorm then too.

See:

March 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm |

LinCA you have to admit anything that mentiond the muslim religion the media won;t let go. Now i am a christian. But the bias should even be obvious to a non believer

March 7, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
    • Gadflie

Yes, you have to be kidding. You equate the undeniable fact that Christians are by far the dominant group in this country and have an appropriate number of stories about them to the media ignoring other religions? Get a grip kid.

March 7, 2012 at 9:38 pm |

don't understand what you mean. being tjhe majority does'nt make you bad ###

March 7, 2012 at 9:48 pm |

not sure what you mean. Being the majority isn't bad

March 7, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • Gadflie

Ok, I'll use small words. The Christians are the vast majority. They generate the most stories. You pretend that this means that we ignore stories about Muslims.

If you need help understanding any of that, let me know.

March 7, 2012 at 9:58 pm |

i think we agree my point is the media only see's religious bigotry when it apply's to muslims

March 7, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
    • LinCA

@Yes

You said, "you have to admit anything that mentiond the muslim religion the media won;t let go. Now i am a christian. But the bias should even be obvious to a non believer"
      If there is a bias, it's that the christians disproportionally get a pass on the shit they pull. Anything "muslim" appears to be far more scrutinized than anything christian.

March 8, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
  19. Edwin

I'm not sure it's okay to block a message like Silverman's... but I'm pretty sure it's downright obnoxious to seek confrontation, the way Silverman obviously is.

Freedom of speech is really, really important... but so is common decency. Silverman is prosletysing in the worst way - choosing a location he KNOWS will offend in an effort to "convert" others to his (non)religious belief system. I'd bet he hates when certain religious groups knock on his door at 9 am Sunday - why is he doing the same thing to others?

March 7, 2012 at 8:51 pm |
    • momoya

Please read the article before posting! kthxbye

March 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • TR6

Perhaps because atheists have noticed that turning the other cheek doesn’t work with Christians?

March 7, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • jim619

@momoya Why is it ok for you to put up your sign that advertises your "religion", but if a Christian sign goes up it's infringing on your rights. We are given freedom of speech. No one said that your sign couldn't go up. The owner of the property decided that he didn't want it to go up on HIS board. Just remember that just because it's your views and beliefs that not all will agree with you. Don't let that hurt your feelings.

March 7, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  20. Beefburger

"Silverman said it was a clear case of religious bigotry." Uhm, no, he was expressing HIS religious freedom. If I own a building and you want to put up some communist shyt on it then I am not going to be helpful either. DUMBAZZ!

March 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • momoya

Are you saying that something can't be both bigotry and religious expression?. Cause I'm fairly certain that's illogical.

March 7, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • GodPot

It's exactly that religious freedom that allows bigots in America.

"Bigot – a person who is intolerant of any ideas other than his or her own, esp on religion, politics, or race"

The Christian "right" in America is intolerant of atheists and want to be able to put their own billboards up but work hard at not allowing any dissenting voices any sort of public forum. You are bigots, but bigots with religious freedom which you use attempt to use as a weapon and a shield. You attack others for wanting their own freedom to build a mosque in NY or puts up an atheist billboard but then cry oppression when you are asked to abide by all the same laws that include funding complete healthcare for women. It would be just sad if it didn't effect so many other peoples lives that you all seem to care nothing about, but then why would you, were not invited on your golden ticket ride to the clouds. Just makes me want to vomit.

March 7, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • dave836

It's not bigotry. If the billboard didn't say his religion was a myth, then it would be bigotry.

Read the article. The owner of the billboard is Jewish and the billboard was slamming his religion. That's like putting a big ol' "Atheists are wrong" on the American Atheists building.

March 7, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • GodPot

Not sure how to respond to you Dave when you make no sense. Silverman was born and raised Jewish but left his religion to become a member of a larger community, humanity. Putting up the signs are likely his way to proclaim his new allegience much like a Christian putting a cross on their house or paying for a highway sign to post a scripture they want to share. I'll agree it's inflammatory but it's not calling for the destruction of his enemies as often the Christian messages do which should be considered bigotry.

Christians are intolerant of others often because their faith is weak and need everyone in the room to agree with them to feel assured they know the right answer. Any dissenting view is considered an attack and an affront to their already agreed upon truth, and they have to be right, they can't be wrong, they are not able to handle being wrong, so you better see the same number of lights they do or prepare for some "enhanced interrogation techniques". We atheists will continue to shout "THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!!"

March 7, 2012 at 11:20 pm |