home
RSS
Hebrew atheist billboard gets bumped in New York
The American Atheists' president acknowledged that the pair of new billboards will likely cause a stir, and the did.
March 7th, 2012

Hebrew atheist billboard gets bumped in New York

By Eric Marrapodi, CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

(CNN)–A controversial billboard from a national atheist group was scheduled to go up in a heavily populated Jewish neighborhood in Brooklyn on Tuesday but was bumped when the owner of the building objected to the advertisement.

CNN first reported the billboards were targeting Muslim and Jewish enclaves with, “You know it’s a myth … and you have a choice,” written on billboards in Arabic and Hebrew.

The Brooklyn billboard was in English and Hebrew. To the right of the text on the Hebrew sign is the word for God, Yahweh.

American Atheists president David Silverman said he went to the Brooklyn location when the billboard was scheduled to be put up with reporters and was surprised to see it was not being erected. “We sat there and watched and the billboard didn't go up,” he said. "The Jewish landlord of the building saw the billboard and refused to let it go up," he said.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Silverman said it was a clear case of religious bigotry. "It was very disappointing to me because I was raised Jewish," he said by phone from New York. "They've been the victims of religious bigotry and now they're the purveyors."

When reached by phone, Kenneth Stier the owner of the building that rejected the billboard in the heavily Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, offered a polite “no comment” on the matter.

Silverman said the billboard has been moved out of the residential area and put up in a pricier spot off a major highway at no additional cost. He added that while it was nice to have more visibility, his group was specifically targeting that Brooklyn neighborhood.

Jim Cullinan, vice president for marketing & communications for Clear Channel told CNN in an e-mail, “We found space for both ads and this contract is being fulfilled,” but would not comment on moving the billboard out of the residential area in Brooklyn.

“It is against our policy to comment on any of our advertisers' campaigns,” he wrote.

Silverman said he was disappointed by the development. “We wanted to get into the residential neighborhood because so many Hasidic are closeted atheists,” he said.

He said they received over a dozen e-mails from closeted atheist Hasidim who thought they were alone until news of the ad campaign broke.

"This is why atheists need to come out of the closet," Silverman said.

Silverman again reiterated the signs advertise the American Atheists’ upcoming convention and an atheist rally, called the Reason Rally, in Washington scheduled for April.

Atheists have long pointed to surveys that suggest atheists and agnostics make up between 3% and 4% of the U.S. population. That number increases when Americans unaffiliated with any religion are included. The Pew Center’s U.S. Religious Landscape Survey found that 16% are unaffiliated, though only a fraction of those are avowed atheists and agnostics.

Silverman told CNN last week he knew that the pair of new billboards will cause a stir.

“People are going to be upset,” he said. “That is not our concern.”

“We are not trying to inflame anything,” he continued. “We are trying to advertise our existence to atheist in those communities. The objective is not to inflame but rather to advertise the atheist movement in the Muslim and Jewish community.”

CNN's Dan Merica contributed to this report.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Atheism • Islam • Judaism

soundoff (1,757 Responses)
  1. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things !

March 10, 2012 at 7:01 am |
    • Observer

The exclamation point is new.

March 10, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  2. Reality

Only for the newbies:

Another billboard currently under consideration:

#1

HOW MUCH MONEY WOULD THE FOLLOWING SAVE THE US TAXPAYERS??????

There never were and never will be any angels i.e. no Gabriel, no Islam and therefore no more koranic-driven acts of horror and terror like 9/11.

– One trillion dollars over the next several years as the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan will end.

– Eighteen billion dollars/yr to Pakistan will stop.

– Four billion dollars/yr to Egypt will end.

March 9, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Reality wake up ... and this is for you not a newbie but a crusty stained oldhead....

Your tax money will go to whatever and whoever the powers that be wants them too and the media will lead most of society to applaud a choice that was never ever theirs.

You are born and you DIE....the rest is your mom and dad placing you on the slave ship manning the oars until you are no more of a use.

Don't be stupid to believe that you or any other can do what so many vastly more superior rebel leaders could not do. If you do not serve the church, you serve the king, if you do not serve the king you serve a government. Either way, you are under the thumb of someone else.

March 10, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • Muneef

😉 well said M.

Only when you mess-up and intervene in people's lands & lives you find your self obliged to pay out to keep them cool... While you find what ever you pay Egypt is not because you messed up their lives but rather for protecting Israel existence...and to jail & starve the Gaza Stripe...

March 10, 2012 at 6:43 am |
    • Reality

Billboard #2 now under consideration:

How much money would the following save the US taxpayers ?:

There were never any bodily resurrections and there will never be any bodily resurrections i.e. No Easter, no Christianity!!!

– The Mormon empire will now become taxable as will all Christian "religions" and evangelical non-profits since there are no longer any claims to being tax-exempt religions.

March 10, 2012 at 8:25 am |
    • Reality

Billboard #3 now under consideration:

Putting the final kibosh on religion to include Mormonism:

• There was probably no Abraham i.e. the foundations of Judaism, Christianity and Islam are non-existent.

• There was probably no Moses i.e the pillars of Judaism, Christianity and Islam have no strength of purpose.

• There was no Easter i.e. Christianity completely fails as a religion.

• There was no Moroni i.e. Mormonism is nothing more than a business cult.

• Fat Buddhas here, skinny Buddhas there, reincarnated Buddhas everywhere makes for a no on Buddhism.

March 10, 2012 at 8:28 am |
    • Al

Mark from Middle River
      You sound like you want to trade all your duds for camo, and go hide out in the woods with your guns. 😉

March 10, 2012 at 11:14 am |
  3. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Can't you tell I'm being dragged kicking and screaming toward the middle and tolerance?

March 9, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Get a clue TomTom...and try to keep up.

March 10, 2012 at 1:43 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I lapped your sorry ass hours earlier.

Ask Keith if he's heard that Obama isn't a Muslim yet. He seems unable to grasp the fact that he was wrong. Kinda like you.

March 10, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Er ... make that "passed your sorry ass".

March 10, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Says the stupid troll who doesn't know what "lapped" means.

March 10, 2012 at 2:26 pm |
  4. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Goodness, I must have struck a nerve. Mercy me.

March 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  5. NYC73

Hey all,

Is Tom Tom off his meds or is he really that much of a jerk. Maybe he should look at himself before he calls others stupid. People like him are proof we need to improve education in this country.

March 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm |

Hey all,

Nobody cares. It's Friday night, honey. Inflate your date.

March 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Brooklyn

Tom Tom,

Show some class, offer your blow up date.

March 9, 2012 at 10:37 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sorry, I don't need one. I have a husband.

March 9, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • Brooklyn

oh, maybe your husband can offer his

March 9, 2012 at 11:04 pm |

Or maybe yours can.

March 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
  6. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hmmm. Somehow, I just don't seem to feel myself being dragged toward the "middle" and "tolerance".

March 9, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

How could you be drawn to the middle when the cow dung that comes out of your mouth always draws flies?

Don't worry this is a one night show. ... It's called the mirror and I can tell you so do not like the image you see. Heck and I am doing this on a little hand held PDA .... Wait until I get home and have a full computer.

March 9, 2012 at 10:08 pm |

March 9, 2012 at 10:09 pm |
  7. Marks from Middle River

Hey Preacher ... Was wondering what hole you were going to crawl out of. Some how I knew hitting TomTom hard enough and he would crap out a momo.

Kinda explains .... I guess you Preacher man. Dont worry it's Friday and the weekend so I get to turn off my brain and sit on the blog and droll out the side of my mouth like you and TomTom

March 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Turning off your brain wouldn't be a real big change.

March 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm |

March 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • .

March 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's time to let it go, Mark. There is another way.

March 9, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
    • Keith

Marks from Middle River, You know, this blog has got to be the greatest thing that ever happend to Tom Tom's "husband". Every minute that "she's" on this is one minute of merciful bliss the poor guy must experience. He owes everyone who feeds the Tom Tom a great deal. I for one do it as charity. I feel sooooooo sorry for the dude. He must not own a gun, otherwise he would've eaten a bullet a looooong time ago.

March 9, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, there, Keith! Long time, no see! Did you ever figure out that you were wrong about that clip you posted? You know, the one that you claimed "proved" that Obama said he was a Muslim?

Must be tough to have your balls handed to you.

March 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Fortunately, I'm married to a guy who's actually smart. He isn't threatened by women.

What a shame you have such a need to prove you're 'big', Keith. Must be a kind of compensation.

March 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm |

March 9, 2012 at 11:06 pm |

March 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm |

Keith? Are you there?

Nothing to say? Or are you still trying to re-attach those shrunken balls of yours?

March 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm |

Poor Keith.

March 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

Tomorrow is a day away but for TomTom Its a hard knock life Baby !!

March 10, 2012 at 1:18 am |
    • Keith

Tom Tom's husband, Let's see here.....11:01 to 11:30....29 minutes of bliss-not having to deal with that hag of a wife you have.
      You're welcome! (No charge...I was asleep).

March 10, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  8. JJ

Tom Tom

Really, come on. Grow up. If you are going to make comments like that then do us all a favor and shut up................keep your comments to yourself. Spare us all you crap.

March 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm |

Nope.

March 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  9. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Mark the Piddler is pretty slow this evening. I guess his patients are especially incontinent, due to the Friday special of burritos at the nursing home.

March 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  10. JJ

Navywife5,

I agree, well said. Just agree to disagree

March 9, 2012 at 8:23 pm |
    • False Dichotomy

I appreciate your perspective, but the basis of most religions is to agree to go out and make everyone agree with you (sometimes by force, if necessary).

March 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Or you can simply lie and manipulate to attain your objectives. That's what Mark does.

March 9, 2012 at 8:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Mark's a saint, don't you know? He only lives for the purpose of creating "consensus".

Don't his post make that obvious? Don't you see how he is fostering common ground?

Yeah, me neither.

March 9, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
    • navywife5

Tom Tom

don't assume things about people you don't know..............that's what causes problems. People point fingers, make ill comments. Don't add to it, help stop it. weather or not you believe in anything................respect people.

March 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope. Try some one else. I have no time for the stupid, illiterate, or dishonest.

And it's "whether", not "weather".

March 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  11. Muneef

Vampires and Werwolves want to have their own religion now...!

March 9, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
  12. navywife5

I believe in God, I have a strong faith, I don't push my faith on people and respect those who do not believe. My point, respect each other and simply agree to disagree.

March 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • TR6

“My point, respect each other and simply agree to disagree.”

Fine by me, now got tell that to the Christians picketing the Planned Parenthood office and the stem cell research center with their pictures of bloody, dead babies

March 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
    • Chad

Children are killed every day at those "clinics". Why do those pictures of bloody, dead babies make you uncomfortable?
      You condone and encourage it.

March 9, 2012 at 9:13 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Because the "pictures" are fakes, and because they're nothing more than your version of p0rn, Chad.

March 9, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
  13. momoya

"Conviction of the Holy Spirit" = Oops, I screwed up and let my anger/emotions take over, and that released chemicals in my body and brain that effectively dropped by IQ by about 20 points or so–now that I've not been mad for a while, and those same chemicals aren't coursing through my brain, I recognize how stupidly I acted..

March 9, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
    • just sayin

Your I.Q. dropped below 0 ?

March 9, 2012 at 7:58 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Desperate, are you, just sayin?

March 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • just sayin

As usual Tom,Tom posts something that makes absolutely no sense. We are feeling soooo bad for widdle tom,tom.All together now Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

March 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gotta get your crack fix, don't you?

March 9, 2012 at 8:06 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Just out of curiosity, just sayin, do you actually earn an income? What is it you do?

March 9, 2012 at 8:08 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things. Need proof? See reply posts by Tom, Tom to anyone.

March 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor little troll. No proof. Just ad hominem.

It would be sad, except that nobody reads your posts without laughing. Thanks for the comedy routine. I look forward to it every day!

March 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

justsayin can't divulge its source of income, so it's only reasonable to assume it lives on welfare.

March 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

TomTom, everyone can't be like you, Mitt Romney and Donald trump. Being on Welfare and having the state provide assistance for you is no shame.

Even if you are a Georgetown law student that needs the state to help pay for her birth control.

No shame in taking welfare and also there are folks who have jobs but still need help.

March 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Thanks for aiming at the lowest common denominator and still managing to fail to achieve the objective, Mark.

March 9, 2012 at 8:35 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Thanks TomTom.... I think I will take your last comments as a ouch and that I really hit my target.

Also, do not worry I am surpressing my peace love and happiness side tonight and right now you and your brand of atheism are my chew toy.

March 9, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I never worry about you.

March 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Don't worry about cause for this night I sure don't give a bucket of urine about you and your words.

Catch me on Monday. I will probably have clicked my compassion back on for the less fortunate in the mental department such as you.

March 9, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, I can hardly wait for you to display more of your "Christian values".

March 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

You Never cared for my Christian values before so you can kiss my Nikes and while your down there take your words and choke on them.

I am just playing the game yall wanted. So for tonight... School is in session.

March 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm |

Aww, don't fret:

March 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"WAaaaahhh. You never cared...WAaaahhhhhhh!"

March 9, 2012 at 10:14 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

TomTom... Cared? It has gotten me where ?? Sorry, I guess I need to spell it out for the mentally channeled .....for tonight I am channeling my inner ... well you.

March 10, 2012 at 1:28 am |
  14. graytiger

@Mark

You seem to prefer troll behaviour instead of real discussions
    so you confirm momoya's and others remarks on your posts

March 9, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You've got Mark's number.

March 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Gray Tiger, so you sit there silent when ones like TomTom run around like buffoons and then you want to come after me wondering why I am not talking about peace and happiness. What and who are you, their mother? Is TomTom on one teat and MoMo on the other. When you take more of an active role in managing Atheist such as TomTom and PreacherMan then your words might actually count for more than a bag of m&ms.

Got my number.... Maybe because for tonight, I am acting like you and we all have your number.

March 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm |

Oooh, pithy.

March 9, 2012 at 10:06 pm |

March 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • Mark from Middle River

March 10, 2012 at 1:32 am |
  15. DocBeasley

Let's see.... An owner of private property chooses to not put up an offensive statement on his private property and it's "religious bigotry." I wonder if it would be religious bigotry if I wanted to put a nativity scene in his front yard and he refused. You want to see religious bigotry; just read all the comments by these "unbigotted" atheists above.

March 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I am not a believer. I no longer can believe there's a God of any kind. However, I don't believe it is religious bigotry for the owner to decline to post a sign he finds offensive.

Stop painting everyone with a broad brush.

March 9, 2012 at 7:04 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Butt TomTom..... The broad brush.... That same technique is used by many on both sides. How about you handle your crowd and we will handle ours.

March 9, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

When you have an intelligent response, do send up a flare, Mark.

March 9, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

tomTom ... I am trying but the one you gave me won't light. Geez, you know these things have a shelf life.... When was your last intelligent thought?

March 9, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What was yours? Oh, wait. That was an unfair question.

You haven't had one yet.

March 9, 2012 at 7:45 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Seeing the condition of your flares TomTom... I do not believe you would know one. You might just stick with nursery bed time stories. In other words hush little baby don't you cry.....

March 9, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I'd love to know how many of Mark's elderly, disabled, infirm patients sit in their soiled diapers while Mark is on this site.

March 9, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Better check the oxygen tank of that poor old WWII vet, Mark. I wonder how understanding his family will be if he is gasping for breath under your watch because you elected to post here instead of actually performing your duties.

March 9, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
  16. Yes

non-believers on this page are so filled w/hate. But as a christian i will continue to pray for them

March 9, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

And absolutely no hate ever comes from the religious perspective right?

March 9, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • Adam

That is a manifestly untrue statement. Please refrain from making such blanket assertions. They do not further conversation. Thank you.

March 9, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@Yes, and if your prayer doesn't work, will you finally acknowledge that it's ineffective?

March 9, 2012 at 5:46 pm |

God Bless all of you & May you find Peace in your life

March 9, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
    • fred

Ashrakay
      Prayer actually does work. The Bible says if your brother has something against you go and make peace first then come and give your offering. Many a time I have prayed for what I thought was the right prayer and God will convict me on the spot and tell me how rude and worng I was. I was the problem many a times and did not realize it.

March 9, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Yes

I already have peace in my life. My peace comes from the knowledge that I'm living as best as I can and helping others when I can because it is just the right thing to do.

March 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • fred

Yes, you dont really believe non believers are filled with hate do you?

March 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm |

That's awesome Hawaii keep it up

March 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@fred

Oh there are non believers that are filled with hate. There is absolutely no doubt about that. But the same works for the believers side as well. Both groups are in the minority of their respective world views, and the whole should not be judged by that standard.

March 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@fred, I get what you're saying. Some of us call that meditation or introspection. It's just we can have the same results by communing with our truer selves. This is an internal experience. The ineffective prayer that we are referring usually has to do with the "request-based" prayer. I.e., I want a bike for xmas. Meditation and deep introspection can actually change things. No deity required.

March 9, 2012 at 6:00 pm |

Fred. Not all my friends are believer's. So no i don't believe all non-belivers are full of hate. But what i do know that as a christian i still pray for them. And in my view the non-believers equivilent would be just to respect my faith & noy attack it

March 9, 2012 at 6:05 pm |
    • Elwood P. Dowd

fred, "God will convict me on the spot and tell me how rude and worng I was."

Are you sure it was "God", and not my wise friend Harvey, the 6'3" invisible rabbit, who 'convicted' you?... or maybe even your own brain's logic and reason, which was allowed to come to the forefront when you slowed down and thought (prayed) for a bit of time?

March 9, 2012 at 6:07 pm |
    • fred

@Ashrakay
      @Elwood
      I agree with you to a point unfortunately, I cannot explain my experience. After I had my conversion experience I could see the hand of God at work where before I thought answered prayer (by others I was not a believer and did not pray) was nothing but coincidence. On a personal note when my faith gets weak or life slams me to the ground unlike Job I slip into my old thought that God does not answer prayer. Eventually I get my wind and my faith back and there again I see the hand of God in my life answering prayer. Hard to explain but I do justify to myself that God allows suffering and good to visit Job and Hitler in what seems indiscriminate as to faith or prayer. My excuse to myself is a) I just don’t understand the big picture b) God does this so that we exercise our faith muscle (use it or lose principle) c) good or bad like Job it is a blessing or a test d) our response to prayer answered or not reflects who we really are before God.
      In short it certainly seems very much subjective and a matter of att-itude on the part of the believer as to was it really God.

March 9, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yes is a troll. Don't feed it.

March 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

What's wrong TomTom...you want to have exclusivity to Troll behavior?

Yes,... stay off TomTom's turf, he wants only one side to have the Trolls 🙂

March 9, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • fred

Great, if God is real or not our thought should still be towards lifting others up at all times. There is plenty in this world that holds you down or takes you down. Uplifting prayer has no downside.

March 9, 2012 at 6:44 pm |

I think one thing that is always important when we dicuss faith is that there ARE times of doubt and you should always be trying to strenghten it. I see where Hawaii lives a good life helps people in need when he can. That is all any of us can be.

March 9, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • fred

Tom Tom
      Now how am I going to say fat dumb and happy if you dont feed me?

March 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Mark, when you and fred actually have something intelligent to say, do send up a flare.

March 9, 2012 at 6:52 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

No problem TomTom since you still all your all of intelligent flares ... Can we borrow a few?

I mean your not using them 🙂

March 9, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • fred

I just read the official Tom Tom poem on Google, Tom was running with a pig in hand not a flare:
      Tom, Tom, the piper's son
      Stole a pig and away did run;
      The pig was eat;
      And Tom was beat,
      And Tom ran roaring
      Down the street.

March 9, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why bother posting if you have nothing to say, fred and Mark?

March 9, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • fred

Tom Tom
      The above post is considered intellectual property and had a copyright at one time. I just wanted to post something intellegent.

March 9, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Then you need a better version of spell-check.

March 9, 2012 at 7:32 pm |

Does that mean Tom Tom is the little piggy in the Geico commercial we we we we we we we we

March 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@fred, Thank you for your words. As far as I can tell you are a clear thinking individual applying the right amount of "search" and "self-introspection" to your life. Your point about subjectivity is also well taken. I agree. I don't think the common atheist (if there is such a word) would argue that there are many mysterious things in the universe, and even some seemingly magical things in our own lives. I think about my internal transformation when my daughter was born, or how I have a dream of someone and they call me. I suspect that most people experience these kinds of things. Probably the only difference is that the atheist does not try to label something until all of the facts or evidences have been revealed. I think you would really enjoy Lawrence Krauss' book "A Universe from Nothing." Toward the end he infers that we may one indeed find that god is behind all of creation. However, this should be a final conclusion and not a an immediate one. The mystery of the universe is here for us to explore and seek to understand. We do ourselves a disservice, I believe, and cheat ourselves of the opportunity to evolve and awaken to new information when we arrive prematurely at conclusions that may be ultimately proven incorrect. Our history is full of examples of this.

March 9, 2012 at 7:37 pm |
    • fred

Tom Tom
      Now, why did they spell intelligent with an i and intellectual with an e? Had they read their bible they would have known it was an i for i……………..
      See what a mess was created when they took the bible study out of public schools !

March 9, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

See my previous post. Lather, rinse, repeat as needed.

March 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

March 9, 2012 at 8:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope, wrong. Just had a complete physical. Healthy. Strong. No health issues at all.

March 9, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
    • fred

Ashrakay
      Actually, Lawrence Krauss' you tube video on that subject was great even though he takes some good pokes at any Christians that happen to be in the lecture hall. He actually made sense out of nothing.

The core of universe creation rests on an assumption that any combination of events could conceivably occur given billions of years. Using the same assumptions our planet will not exist in billions of years. I cannot wrap my head around meaning and purpose of life without some form of eternal record keeper or God. The thought always ends up in the silliness of if a tree fell in the forest and no one heard it did it really fall.
      I was very happy with simple Christianity before I stumbled on this site. It was much easier before I heard some of the questions people were asking. Ready for this; I actually thought George Washington chopped down that cherry tree until I came on this web site and someone accused me of being dumb enough to think George actually chopped that tree down. After checking with Google I felt like little Jack Horner (he was real right?)

March 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@fred, I understand well where you are coming from. I think that's a good place to leave it for now. I'm just happy that you continue to educate yourself and search for deeper understandings. Thanks for the chat.

March 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • Oh Yeah

fred
      As far as we really know, prayer only works as well as any other form of introspection, or meditation. There is no evidence to support the notion that some powerful being is receiving these messages and granting wishes.

March 10, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • fred

Oh Yeah
      It only matters really when we both walk in the valley of the shadow of death. I pray you are very wrong and God answers prayer. See I pray that non believers never face the judgement of God because the atheists faith in a peacefull eternal slumber has no more evidence in its favor than does my faith God answers prayer. Thus if there is no God and thus prayers go unanswered we are both in the same heavenly slumber. If there is God who answers prayer we are both still in a heavenly peace and the only difference is your asleep during the best part of lifes journey.

March 10, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • Oh Yeah

You hope that you aren't wasting your time, you mean?

It's not faith that leads me to believe that there is no life after death, just common sense. All that we are, personality wise, resides in our brains. Personalities change when our brains become damaged, or influenced by drugs, for example. So, it's only logical to believe that when the brain dies, so does the personality. Sure, it'd be nice to have a do-over, second "life", but there simply isn't any evidence (read "good reason") to believe that there actually IS one.

Imagine you simply never woke up some morning because you died peacefully in your sleep? You wouldn't "miss" going to heaven, or hell (and that is another possibility, no matter how deserving of the other you think yourself to be, right?) at all. No, the fear you are relying on can only be exploited in the slow dying, when people are perhaps at their most vulnerable. In fact, much of the entire belief system is best marketed to people when they are feeling their worst. That in itself should highlight how rational the acceptance of these beliefs actually is.

March 10, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,
    Proven,

March 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • TruthPrevails

see "Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things" for the truth.

March 9, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
    • Ashrakay

I have a question... if atheism is not healthy for children, then why doesn't god allow children to be born non-atheists. Does he hate children that much that he would want them to be born unhealthy?

March 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I have a question. If belief is healthy, why is Mark a liar and why is fred an idiot?

March 9, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

TomTom because all you can understand is insults and ridicule so I know I had to drop down to your level so you can finally understand me. It the equivalent of reverting back to baby talk to an infant.

March 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm |

Is that your excuse?

March 9, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Marks from Middle River

Tom it seems to work for you and it's Friday ... So the rest of us can turn off our brains and act like you for few days.

March 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I doubt anyone who knows you will be able to discern any change.

March 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
  18. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer has been shown to have no discernible effect towards what was prayed for.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

March 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • DocBeasley

So... don't pray – nobody's making you.

March 9, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Nope. But you and your pals would love to force children to do so in school, would't you?

March 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
  19. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shite.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer wastes time.

March 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  20. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

March 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Jesus

~~~The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!~~.......

March 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things. Need proof, see reply posted above.

March 9, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The reply you reference proves you to be a complete liar.

March 9, 2012 at 8:09 pm |