home
RSS
Donald Miller’s ‘Blue Like Jazz’ film set to open
Actor Marshall Allman, who plays Don Miller in “Blue Like Jazz” film, with actress, Claire Holt, who plays “Penny.”
March 9th, 2012

Donald Miller’s ‘Blue Like Jazz’ film set to open

By John Blake, CNN

Raw, gritty, with some foul language - not the typical description of a Christian film. Yet that’s how some are describing the upcoming movie  “Blue Like Jazz.”

The film, based on a bestselling coming-of-age Christian memoir of the same name, is scheduled to premiere Saturday at the South by Southwest Film Festival in Austin, Texas.

“Blue Like Jazz” follows a pious, 19-year-old sophomore at a Texas college who decides to flee his conservative religious upbringing by transferring to one of the most liberal college campuses in America.

The movie is rated PG-13 because of mature themes, and some references to sexuality, drugs and alcohol.

“It’s a little more gritty than a lot of films, and certainly any Christian film,” says Donald Miller, the author of “Blue Like Jazz.” “It’s more raw and real life.”

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

The film, which almost didn’t get made due to lack of funding, opens April 13 in theaters nationwide. The movie’s financing fell through at one point but was saved after Miller posted an online appeal.

Miller says the “Blue Like Jazz” film is a hybrid in that it will appeal to a Christian and a secular audience.

“We hope that there’s an enormous demographic of people of faith, and people who have walked away from their faith, who will find themselves somewhere in this story,” he says.

Miller has already reached such an audience with his 2003 memoir. The book is a collection of introspective and irreverent essays where Miller writes about everything from questioning his faith to growing up without a father.

Read about the man who inspired Donald Miller

The memoir appealed to multiple audiences: evangelicals, progressives and “spiritual but not religious” folks who don’t easily fit into any category. It spent 43 weeks on the New York Times best-seller list, tallying at least 1.5 million copies sold.

Miller still sounds stunned at his book’s success.

“I don’t know. I really don’t know,” he says when asked why his memoir has proved so popular. “It’s just one of those rare things. I didn’t expect it to take off. I wasn’t trying to make it take off. I was just really honest about telling this aspect of my life, and other people were able to find themselves in it.”

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Steve Taylor, the director of “Blue Like Jazz,” says he tweaked Miller’s book for the movie. The movie’s main character is younger, lives on campus, and comes from a fundamentalist church.

Taylor says he didn’t want to make a preachy film. Some of his favorite Christian films are “Tender Mercies,” “Of Gods and Men” and “The Exorcism of Emily Rose.”

He sighed when describing watching some Christian films.

“It’s a genre that can preach to the choir,” Taylor says. “If you didn’t know that world, it would feel like you’ve gone into one of those foreign movies where you not only need subtitles, but CliffsNotes.”

Miller says that he’s embarking on a 35-city bus tour starting March 1 to promote the film. Though his book has gone Hollywood, Miller says his life is far from glamorous.

When he was called to talk about his film, he was in the process of moving furniture out of his house, which he sold to help finance the filming of “Blue Like Jazz.”

“I’m in a sweat shirt and tennis shoes, and I didn’t hire movers,” he says. “I’m moving in the opposite direction of Hollywood.”

- CNN Writer

Filed under: Belief • Bible • Books • Christianity • Culture wars • Entertainment • Faith • Schools • Uncategorized

1. blaqb0x

College??/ SNOB!!!!

March 9, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
  2. Brian

Hold on before you start saying atheists are cruel I want you to take a look around at what cruel things religion as done. I think you shouldn't be so one sided. There are so many good things being done in the world but if it's not done in the name of a god or any religion its devalued.

March 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

Using that same trite argument of how people have reacted to Christianity in the past is ridiculous. Some of them actually did try to bring about Christianity (many other religions have done this) in the [obvious] wrong way (that is, non-biblical), while others just happened to be Christians and somehow the uneducated in history want to blow it out of proportion. If you want to be proportional, look what anti-religion (atheism in its forceful action)did to Stalin's USSR. (Obviously, you would deny this as a crazy guy...but you don't extend that same to Christianity because Christianity has been around for a long time, but atheism hasn't been organized until relatively recently. Don't be a hypocrite.

March 9, 2012 at 5:45 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Gaius

One thing to keep in mind, is that Stalin embraced an atheistic mindset because he adopted Lenins philosophy on religion, and that was that organized religion held back "perfect communism". This is no different than Hitler adopting a public self description of Catholicism. Neither person truly believed in their world views, it was just convenient for their political aspirations.

March 9, 2012 at 5:58 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

Hawaii: Actually, although Lenin was a great influence on Stalin, Stalin was expelled from his school for being against organized religion. Lenin may have agreed with him, but Stalin was atheist long before he met Lenin or the Bolshevics. BUT, even if your point was correct, that would still make my point. Atheists always push stories of Christians that DON'T live like the Bible, while they somehow dismiss the examples of atheism as it is trying to force (and kill) itself upon the people.

March 9, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
  3. Plug1

Fowl mouth christians,are the norm....next!

March 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • bryce

jesus loves you 🙂

March 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • bryce

god can see you all the time

March 9, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
    • Gerri

"Fowl mouthed" ? ... hmmm, all this talk about chickens and pigeons.. it MUST stop!!

March 9, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • blaqb0x

"god can see you all the time".

He watches you in the shower just like he watches priests molest kids.

March 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
  4. JamesO

Don't waste your time and money on this one folks, it really not very good.

March 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • bryce

yes, but they got the thing, god loves you

March 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  5. Tina

Why hate on religion? It can be a beautiful, wonderful thing to help people get through life. Why are atheists so incredibly angry at religious people? Of course there are a lot of bad people who misguidedly use religion to do bad things. I'm concerned about the people who don't believe any of their actions have consequences and can go through life completely selfish and careless. I feel awful for true atheists – you either never had the opportunity to understand the benefits of religion, it was shoved down your throat improperly, or when you realized that religion provides moral ground rules, you bailed so you couldrun off and do whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want to do it and not feel bad about it.

March 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Tina

Atheism is an EASY and MINDLESS explaination for how the world works. People of FAITH and GOD are the real thinkers.

March 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Brian

What atheist have you been talking to? I am not an atheist but I can tell you if you look back at history it's not the people who didn't believe anything starting wars and creating destruction, but the people who thought there was a higher power calling on them to do so. I am not saying religion is bad but religion also has consequences for its actions as well. As we see in the Middle East.

March 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@Tina, If you believe atheism is easy and mindless, try facing death without the promise of an afterlife. Try to see that you are actually alone aside from your fellow man. Try seeing that easy answers such as "god did it" never led to any technological, astrological, or medical advancement. Freeing yourself from the slavery of religion requires great intellectual integrity and deep courage. You'd know that if you tried.

March 9, 2012 at 5:11 pm |
    • Tina

I totally agree that people have done some bad things in the name of religion, which is totally unacceptable. I'm talking more about the moral indifference that is consuming our society. While some people have done bad things in the name of religion, a lot of religious people do great things in the name of god. And, if religion gives someone peace of mind and helps them sleep at night, what harm is that? Why must atheists be so cruel to them and go on and on and on about the 'dangers of prayer.' It breaks my heart!!!

March 9, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Ashrakay

[PS], I mean "astronomical".

March 9, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • GH

You wonder why atheists are so incredibly angry at religious people and then you say something like this, "I feel awful for true atheists – you either never had the opportunity to understand the benefits of religion......etc" Who is the angry one here Tina? Here is a 4th reason for you to ponder. Atheists do not believe in fairy tales. Just like Cinderella and Snow White are figments of someone's imagination, so is religion. You have your beliefs, atheists have theirs.

March 9, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
    • Tina

Does it make you feel better to mock religion? Why can't you just say 'I don't believe in God, but clearly it's something that's important to you, so I'll let you have that.' Atheists can't do that, they want to knock everyone down and try and pull back the curtain from the Wizard of Oz. And, you know NOTHING about my life, religion or what I have or have not endured, so please don't assume for one second that you have me all figured out.

March 9, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
    • olcranky

@Tina – have you read the news? I'm not an atheist but I can understand very well why they are angry at religion and, in particular, the religious orthodoxy of the Abrahamic religions (especially fundamentalist Christianity in the US). The religious right is not satisfied with just having religious freedom, they way too often think their freedom of expression can and must supersede the religious freedom of another. They are not satisfied with telling anyone who is not one of them they will be going to hell (and use atheist as a pejorative not only for atheism but also directed at other people of faith who don't want our government to further corrupted by an infusion of biblical law any more than we want the government to insinuate it in our respective religions) and insist that, even though we're damned to hell we must still live according the laws they only follow because "G-d says so"/"the bible says so"/to get into heaven and avoid going to hell. They use their religion as a weapon to subjugate others instead of a tool to guide themselves. To be honest, they make me hate religion sometimes too

March 9, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@Tina, Yeah... @GH makes a fair point. I will continue it to say, you assume that we do not have a religious background. I would venture to say that most of us were raised with some religion. I personally come from an extremely christian family and spent almost 18 years in church and 13 years in a christian school. So, yeah, I get the appeal of religion.

I would also like to mention, that being labeled an "atheist" is not all of the excitement you might imagine it to be. First of all, we are in the extreme minority. We have to deal with people that feel they have all of the answers and deny facts that are right in front of their faces. We are despised by most, just because we don't believe the way they do. If this feels like an "easy and mindless" life to you, I wonder how hard your life must be for you as a christian. Most people in America believe what you do. You have a "belief" forum on CNN. Every president of the US has been a christian or deist. You have rights covered under the consti.tution. Your church doesn't have to pay taxes. How much effort is being asked of you.

March 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
    • Brian

@olcranky Hey do not forget the 1,200 or so militia groups setting up all over the US all in the name if religion.

March 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm |
    • Alex

@Tina, the main reason atheists hate on religion is because religion hates on them as well. In the past, many atheists have been killed for lack of faith, and in a good bit of the world, they still are. Though in more civilized places, they are constantly assaulted by words such as this. I'm not atheist, I'm agnostic, but I can tell you that irreligious people don't just leave religion so someone, quote "couldrun off and do whatever the hell you want whenever the hell you want to do it and not feel bad about it." That is not their motivation, one doesn't need religion or some divine figure to make them civilized and moral, look up secular humanism. Additionally, calling atheists cruel and bad for opposing religion is rather hypocritical when you start saying things like the quote mentioned above.

March 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Tina

You are assuming that the worst of atheists is the norm, just like some atheists assume that the worst of religious people are the norm. That thinking is what perpetrates and keeps alive the enmity between theists and atheists.

March 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • GauisCaesar

Ummm BRIAN, organized atheism is very recent. That's the most ridiculous argument I have ever heard about that. Most people in history have been religious in some way. To try to compare, try to compare rulers that weren't religious...you won't find too many.

March 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm |
    • Mike

I am an atheist and I am not angry at anyone...

...in fact, I really don't care. Religion doesn't offend me, I just have no interest in it.

March 9, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  6. AtheistoMachisto

There's a God said the fool...

March 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Andrew

The fool says in his heart, 'There is no God. – Psalm 14.1

March 9, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • Mark1020

According to Proverbs 14:1, atheism is a heart issue, not a mind issue. It's not about smarts, it's about receiving the truth.

March 9, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • bryce

jesus loves you

March 9, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@bryce, Jesus loved 12 men who he required to leave their families for him. Another man he told he couldn't even bury his own father. A) His love is pretty demanding. B) It also seems spread pretty thin. You have to share it with all of those other men.

March 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • bryce

a fool, NO GOD, now in hell 🙁

March 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@bryce, I suppose you have proof of such a statement, or are you just making up more stories?

March 9, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Kyley

@Ashrakay – In regards to your two points:

A) "God is Demanding" – This point is based on the assumption that your plans for yourself are better than God's plans for you. If his plans are better than for than your plans, then is it so bad that he insists that you do things his way rather than your own? In regards to the man burying his father... It's simply an illustration of when people have seemingly legitimate reasons for not following God when he calls but in reality it's just an excuse for wanting to first do things their own way. For instance, in the Jewish culture of that time frame, a person is typically buried the same day they die. If his father had died and was being buried that day – then he would have already been with him. This indicates that probably, the father had not died yet but the son wanted to be around him in anticipation that he might croak soon. So in essence, God says "come", and the guy says "I know you're God, and you know the beginning from the end.. but I think I know better, so let me just take care of what I feel is necessary first, then I'll follow you"... To say this is a basic mistrust of the goodness of God – when in reality, he can and will prove himself good and trustworthy in your life when given a chance.

B) If God created the universe, the one that scientists today have only an infinitesimally small amount of knowledge of how it all works, don't you think he's more capable of loving than we are? Clearly if God is the God who created the universe, we cannot put his capabilities on the same level as you and me.

March 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@Kyley, If my plans could not be better for my own life than god's, then why do I have free will? Only to accept there's a better way than my own? If god asked me to ki.ll my own child as he did with abraham, would I not find it wiser to seek medical attention rather than blindly accept that his plans are best for me? I will not even get into how if god is unchangeable, why his rules have changes so much over time. Or the fact that different gods were referred to in the books of Genesis and Exodus. It's interesting to note and I'm sure if you find it worth exploring why, you can find more information on your own.

Secondly, you are working under a supposition that god actually exists, of which you have no proof or evidence. So your logic stating that scientist know far less than god is logic that has no foundation. If I said to you, fairies can travel faster than light, therefore Einstein must be wrong, I have to bring something to the table more than conjecture if I wish people to treat my argument with respect. I have to show proof and let it be open to the possibility of being proven wrong. You bring neither.

March 9, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
  7. Collona Scapi

Don't miss the sequel:
    "The Rubber Crutch"

March 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  8. Brian

Al I have to say is Africa!

March 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  9. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer has been shown to have no discernible effect towards what was prayed for.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
    Prayer makes your crap really soft when you aren't constipated.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

March 9, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • lilyq

God bless you, Jesus loves you.

March 9, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Andrew

March 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • CHUCK

Looks like to me that atheism makes you post really stupid s**t!

March 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Ashrakay

@Andrew, If you actually understood atheism, you'd never say such a thing. You see it as a resistance of something. Naturally. What else could be expected of someone who only sees one side of the story. In fact, atheism allows for god, should evidence present itself. This is not the same thing as resisting it. Think of it as, waiting for it to be true. Therefore, no faith is required because no effort is being put forth. We accept what IS, not what we wish to be. Accepting requires no faith.

March 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • The Truth

> You have as much faith as I do, my friend. Only you have faith that God does not exist. Do you not believe in God, or do you not want to believe in God? Those are two very different things.

Actually no, he/she doesn't. Until it's proven that prayer does something, it's effectively a waste of time. You should never believe in anything until it's been proven to you through evidence.

Sorry you're mentally handicapped.

March 9, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • olcranky

@Andrew – tell me, if it were proven that G-d did not exist would you still live exactly as you do and decide what is right/wrong based on bible teachings and things G-d and Jesus are alleged to have said?

March 9, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • bryce

my mom she Prayed for a home and she got one for free

GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME ,ALL THE TIME GOD IS GOOD

March 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm |
  10. atroy

I found the book to be condescending, judgmental and generally annoying for it's embrace of the Austin/Portland/Hipster/grunge lifestyle as a means to proselytize.

March 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
  11. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things,

March 9, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • veggiedude

correction: Eating meat is not healthy for children and other living things.

March 9, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Correction.. Prayer *does not change things

March 9, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
      Prayer makes you fat.
      Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
      Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
      Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
      Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
      Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
      Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
      Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
      Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
      Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
      Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
      Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
      Prayer dulls your senses.
      Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
      Prayer makes your crap really soft and stinky when you aren't constipated.
      Prayer makes you hoard cats.
      Prayer wastes time.

March 9, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • Emm

correction: whole grains are not healthy for children and other living things (Paleo forever)

March 9, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
    • Jesus

~~~The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!~~.......

March 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • lilyq

amen

March 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • Scott

Atheism is awesome. Raised in the Christian church, I have never been happier than when I stopped believing in fairy tales for grown ups. Why would I want to live with all of that backward judgmentalism? The best thing that will happen is when society wakes up and starts rejecting these archaic and pointless beliefs.

March 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  12. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you post really stupid shit.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer wastes time.

March 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm |

All of the above statements are true. Thank you.

March 9, 2012 at 4:09 pm |
    • haha

10 points to Gryffindor

March 9, 2012 at 4:40 pm |
    • Carol

Bless your heart.

March 9, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • 98

I do not think you understand what prayer is.

March 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm |
    • appalled

Amen to that list!!!

March 9, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
  13. Susan

I was forunate enough to see the screening of this movie with my teenage son. We both loved it and were inspired by it. It is very real and relavent. I highly recommend going to see it opening weekend!!!!!

March 9, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  14. Tim

Reblogged this on HD Nazarene and commented:
    Wow. Donald Miller sold his house to get this movie made. I guess that's commitment. I'm intrigued to see how it's received. I generally enjoy Donald Miller's stuff. While reading the book I thought several scenes would work as films. But a few times I've thought very short films based on scenes (like the "Confessional Booth" on campus) would be better than a whole movie.
    What do you think? Have you read the book? Will you see the movie? Will you encourage others to see it? What do you think about a Christian book or movie that is more "honest" or "raw" than sanitized? Does this make it "authentic" or run the risk of "sensationalizing" a human story? We all know that people often swear, but when we're creating art to be watched over and over is it absolutely necessary to include the swear words? I'm interested in your thoughts...

March 9, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • GodPot

" We all know that people often swear, but when we're creating art to be watched over and over is it absolutely necessary to include the swear words? I'm interested in your thoughts..."

1. Very few films ever can be considered "art" or do you mean the "art" of film making? I would wager this is a far cry from "art".
      2. Why do so many Christians have a problem with "swear" words. The actual "swear" word or "curse" words were very different things a few hundred years ago, it's wasn't the word so much as the intent of what they were saying that mattered. Now you silly Christians get your panties in a bunch when you hear the word shlt but then go to the bathroom a few minutes later to squeeze out a thick one and stuff your toilet papered fingers in the crack to get all the klingons. You seem to want to separate yourselves from natural bodily functions because you consider them gross, not because they are calling down some ancient curse or swearing on your mothers grave that you will get revenge. It's just another example of how small minded Christians can be.

March 9, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Nii

I am confused GODPOT but your last sentence seems to be a symptom of prejudice. Not at all something that shud be uttered by an open-minded emotionally mature individual. Oh well cud have been worse!

March 9, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  15. Jordan

I'm no religious person but Don Millers books speak to my soul. I've read them all. And in each one I've laughed. I've cried. I've scratched my head in amazement. And most importantly, I've been changed. Especially with his most recent book "A Million Miles in a Thousand Years." This book was written while they were making his life into a movie. They told him his life was too boring. So he decided to make his life a better story. This inspired me to not only make my life a better story, but to call others into a better story.

I can't wait for this movie. If its anything like the book it will change lives. Mine included.

March 9, 2012 at 11:41 am |
    • Dan

that's pretty cool to hear

March 9, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Steve the Goat

Do you like pancakes? I like pancakes. With syrup. MMM, syrup. Maply goodness.

March 9, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  16. Yodeling Bob Saves The Day!

I bet it is almost as good as the John Travolta Scientology movie "Battlefield Earth."

March 9, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  17. Bill R

I am not a church going person but am a fan of Donald Millers work hope the movie plays like he writes Don is a true poet.

March 9, 2012 at 10:25 am |
  18. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
    Proven

March 9, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • BRC

I don't want to argue over the affects of prayer with you, I just want to see if you are actually willing and able to compose a cognizant response. Can you explain WHY atheism is not healthy?

March 9, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • Jesus

March 9, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • EnjaySea

BRC, don't bother trying. Atheism here doesn't ever directly respond to replies made to his prayer posts. It's part of his schtick. He believes that spreading the word about prayer will get him into heaven, and he believes that responding to people's criticisms will just be encouraging Satan and his minions. He takes his cue from Father Merrin in the Exorcist:

"Especially important is the warning to avoid conversations with the demon. We may ask what is relevant but anything beyond that is dangerous. He is a liar. The demon is a liar. He will lie to confuse us. But he will also mix lies with the truth to attack us. The attack is psychological, Damien, and powerful. So don't listen to him. Remember that – do not listen."

March 9, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Mike

So a child who hasn't been indoctrinated yet isn't a healthy child? What religion does someone need to be indoctrinated in to be healthy? If we're going to choose something, I dunno, catholic, who teaches him? What church do you go to? Are you going to indoctrinate him in the Southern version or the Northern version of Catholicism? Please tell me, you obviously know the human condition better than anyone else because of what you were brainwashed into believing. Piece of trash.

March 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm |

I like to see this robot post a valid 100 reasons on prayers but we all know prayers are useless. Hence we have a robot only capable of posting a single line.

March 9, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Don't bother praying there is no god.

March 9, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • bringoutyour dead

Atheist corpse steals name

March 9, 2012 at 8:56 am |

Christians going to hell for sure.

March 9, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  20. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

March 9, 2012 at 7:03 am |
    • ThisIsWhy

I'm with you and all but do you need to feed the trolls this early in the morning?

March 9, 2012 at 7:18 am |
    • AGuest9

Feed the trolls? "Atheism is not" IS a troll!

March 9, 2012 at 7:49 am |
    • Jesus

March 9, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • EnjaySea

Prayer works, sometimes. I've also found that when I play poker, I get a full house, sometimes.

March 9, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Aezel

Indeed it does. One day you are a sane person, the next day you decide to talk to a pretend person in the sky in your head. Now you're insane. Changed indeed.

March 9, 2012 at 5:28 pm |