home
RSS
Crystal Cathedral founder resigns from board
Rev. Robert H. Schuller preaches on March 11, 1998 at the Crystal Cathedral.
March 13th, 2012

Crystal Cathedral founder resigns from board

By the CNN Wire Staff

(CNN) - The immediate plans of Rev. Robert H. Schuller, the founder of the Crystal Cathedral Ministries in Southern California, and his wife are unclear after they resigned from the church's board of directors over the weekend, their lawyer said Monday.

The Crystal Cathedral, a Protestant church that helped spark the megachurch movement in the United States after opening in 1970, entered bankruptcy procedures in 2010 after years of infighting among Schuller's family and church leaders.

The Schullers have been locked in a legal dispute with other board members. Talks to reach a settlement broke down last week, according to a statement from the Schullers over the weekend.

"We cannot continue to serve on the board in what has become an adversarial and negative atmosphere, especially since it now seems that it will not be ending anytime soon," Arvella Schuller, the pastor's wife, said in the statement.

CNN's Belief Blog – all the faith angles to the day's top stories

The couple's "immediate plans are up in the air right now," their lawyer, Carl Grumer, said Monday.

The Crystal Cathedral campus was sold to the Roman Catholic Church last year in a deal approved by a bankruptcy judge in November.

Schuller, now in his 80s, was known for his internationally broadcast "Hour of Power" TV show. His role on the board had already changed last year when directors voted to make him honorary chairman rather than a voting board member.

In 2006, he stepped down from the pulpit as senior pastor but continued to preach and sit on the church board. His son, Robert A. Schuller, stepped in as senior pastor. Two years later, after a dispute with the board, the younger Schuller was voted out by the board.

CNN's Greg Morrison contributed to this report.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Belief • Catholic Church • Christianity • Church

1. hippypoet

"bring me some water peck!"
    "his name's not peck....its Willow!"
    "i said Willow!"

March 13, 2012 at 10:05 am |
  2. JC

My-my-my, see how the mighty have fallen.

March 13, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • WeShouldTaxTheChurch

I want that power ring on his finger!

March 13, 2012 at 10:09 am |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Yeb, Real LOW!
      ONLY in America.
      These are the FAKE American Christians that Jesus talked about in the scriptures. They made $M's and lived lavishly.
      Shame on them.

March 13, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
    • guest for today

@ CHE Where did you go? I haven't seen you on the board for nearly a week. I made a post the other day, and when I came back to read any reponses, you had said that you would like to know what I had to reply to something you said. Now I don't eve remember what the subject was, but I do remember that I had a reply. Wish you ha stayed on board.

March 13, 2012 at 2:23 pm |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Buddy, I haven't gone anywhere.
      As I recalled; last week we were all discussing something relating to who's a "True Christian" inclu. something in the lines of CNN Topic: "Will Jesus Christ vote for GOP Party?" or something like that.
      How yee be?
      Holla!

March 13, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  3. Guido Sarducci

This church fell into disrepute years ago when it went through that tax fight with the IRS over concerts for profit were being performed there. It lost it's tax exempt status and everything went downhill from there.

It's a shame that Rev. Schuller lost his monument to himself, but he got greedy. Ownership by the Catholics better? Only time will tell.

Meanwhile, guileless but subdued laughing can be heard from the bowels of hell if you just listen hard enough.

March 13, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • CallingBS

That laughter was heard with the laying of the first brick, and placement of the first glass pane. The megachurch and the catholic church are one in the same. They both take the money of the weak minded, they are thieves plain and simple.

March 13, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  4. hippypoet

praise the bones!!

March 13, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

What bones?

March 13, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
  5. momoya

Just think if the Holy Spirit were really making god's will known to each of these christians.. They'd all agree on what god wants for the clergy and the staff of the cathedral.. Instead of wasting their time in legal battles, like people who don't hear from god, they should be fasting and praying to figure out why they aren't all hearing the same message from god.. If they were really believers, wouldn't that be the bigger problem?. Or maybe they really don't believe what they preach..

March 13, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

The imbeciles in the likes of Sarah Palin, Michele Buckmann, Rick Perry, Leroy Newt, Santrum, dick Cheney and GWB all claimed to have heard the same message.
      Now you tell us; who amongst these Fake Christian hypocrites have the Birth Right to question your FAITH?

March 13, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
  6. Doc

it's not about the money...right? ;^/ Hypocrites, all of them.

March 13, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • Rich

We're all hypocrites at times.

Always remember...
      When you point a finger at someone, there are three pointing back at you.

March 13, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  7. hippypoet

"go in the direction the bird is flying." priest
    "its going back to the village!" villager
    "ignore the bird, follow the river!" priest

March 13, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  8. Rich

Maybe this church will finally go back to teaching out of the Bible instead of teaching about the power of positive thinking

March 13, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • @youignantdotcom

they are one in the same...both created by men.

March 13, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • chefdugan

The place was an obsenity when it was built and so was its builder. It represents everything that is wrong with organized religion. I think if Jesus would have returned and seen it he would have vomited all over it.

March 13, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Yeb, now I SEE.
      He clipped those two evil horns to deceive THEE.
      Whew, those funny robes threw me off for awhile. Glad for revealing this to us all.

March 13, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • i wonder

CHE,

Why are you wearing antlers today?

March 13, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Nope!

You must be wearing your mama's stinky underwear over your head as usual.
      Like your name says it all (midget, "i wonder"): Are you "Wondering" aimlessly in the desert like a scared turkey seeking the Lord, God?
      We are STILL "wondering”, "i wonder"!

March 13, 2012 at 3:15 pm |
    • i wonder

CHE,

It looks like you are still WANDERING around trying to get a grip on speaking English, and a grip on reality.

And you still did not explain your 'antlers'...

March 13, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  9. David M

This is what happens when the church loses sight of what it should be doing. Millions of dollars wasted building a monument to a man, while millions of people are starving and 4000 kids die every day for lack of clean water. From my view, the work was not well done, and God is not well pleased.

March 13, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • coy4one

...charity only goes as far as the next collection plate! Please GIVE!!

March 13, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • coy4one

...charity only goes as far as the next collection plate! Please GIVE!! Remember, the church is a charity too!

March 13, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • Josie

I remember his granddaughter, Christina, was a castmember of MTV's "The Hills." I know the megachurch has made its clergy extremely wealthy-she lived in a huge house in Laguna Beach, attended the pricey University of Southern California, was flown to NYC with her best friend by her parents who bought her a Broadway audition for her 18th birthday. I guess the congregation thought it was fine to subsidize their lifestyle and still get all the tax breaks that clergy get in their private lives (all their furniture, housing expenses etc. is tax-free).

March 13, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

For The Record: Americans LOST its SOUL and sight as TRUE Christian(s) long time ago.
      Mandatory, they're just spinning their wheels in high gears thanks to GOP Fake Christian Agendas.

These so-called Fake Christian Churches don't pay Taxes yet, they enjoy ALL the benefits of your tax $$'s. Yet, have the nerves to blame the poor and those without political connections to make it on their own some Gov’t help.

March 13, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
  10. nitrous

For all of you idiots who believe in the devil – that picture at the top is a pretty good likeness.

March 13, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • nitrous

I meant the concept of the devil – Allah forbid you'd actually BELIEVE in him!

March 13, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • howdareI

Jeremy Lin is the devil? That's the picture at the top of my page on the left...wow, who knew?

March 13, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  11. godisnotreal

I used to work with churches before I shed my ignorance and realized that religion and Christianity in particular was only a way for religious leaders to keep their power and wealth. Out of all the businesses, non-profit organizations and churches I have worked with over the years, I have by far seen more corruption and illegal activities in churches than any other. Why would you believe this church to be any different. I do not hate Chrisitans or other people of other religious faith, though their beliefs and actions are enraging allot of the times, but I do pitty them. They are blind in a shroud of ignorance as I once was. If they could only lift that shroud like I have, they too would see just how obsurd their beliefs are. I still have hope, my own faith if you will, that everyone will one day leave religion behind them and embrace the better world this place would be without it. I place that hope in our youth with more of them everyday utilizing their logic and reasoning to learn that religion is not real. It is our youth that has come to accept their fellow man or woman more, without prejudice, than their parents. It will be our youth that will one day end the tyranny of religion.

March 13, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • coy4one

March 13, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • @youignantdotcom

"Put all the world's corporate wealth together and the Catholic Church still has more...."

and what does that say about the church other than confirming that its nothing but big business?

March 13, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  12. LMD

It is more than ironic that people who say they follow "Jesus' " word,seem to think he wants these mega churches.If "Jesus were to walk this earth today,he would be called a community activist,and he certainly was against churches and the monies to fund them. If one has faith,then why the need to have these monstrous palaces to further enhance the bank accounts of these so called "men of God"?

March 13, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • coy4one

"SPLIT A PIECE OF WOOD, AND I AM THERE. PICK UP A STONE, AND YOU WILL FIND ME THERE." The world is thy temple, not brick and mortar, nor giant glass crystal castles.

March 13, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  13. coy4one

All these years and I thought that Schuller was all about love and worship...only to find out it was all about money and power!

March 13, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • ﺶCHEﺶ

Whew, it took you this long?
      Where have you been hiding all this long?
      Under some rock?

March 13, 2012 at 1:47 pm |
  14. ja-coffalotte

cute little costume the make believe little Gawd man is wearing

March 13, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • coy4one

...and the chain around his neck is REAL GOLD!

March 13, 2012 at 9:42 am |
  15. hippypoet

the dude in the picture looks like one of the migets from Willow! love Val Kilmer 🙂

lol

March 13, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  16. AGuest9

Ah, Big Time. "So much larger than life. I will pray to a big god as I kneel in the big church, and my heaven will be a big heaven and I will walk through the front door."

March 13, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • Logic

Good one, but you forgot to credit that quote. (Peter Gabriel)

March 13, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • Calico

"I'm on my way of making it!"

March 13, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • coy4one

Bur only if the Board approves!

March 13, 2012 at 9:35 am |
    • Chaz

thank you for quoting the best musician IMO of our time

you can keep my things they've come to take me home....

March 13, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  17. Teacher

All gods are the same. Your Jehovah, (Yahweh), (see below), and Allah, and all the ancient desert gods are the same. Our enduring memory of this fool is at the funeral of Hubert Humphrey, he kept talking about the "Big C", and everyone in the church was wincing, as he obviously meant "courage", and Hubert had just died from the "big C"..cancer.
    .......
    [youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg&w=640&h=360]

.....

March 13, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • David R

Actually, the god you are describing is not the same as the God... I find people who truly investigate will make that distinction..
      If you are saying what you are saying is true, then we sure have a conflicting God...
      Just wanted to make a point about that

March 13, 2012 at 9:09 am |
    • momoya

@ David R.

Your god is conflicting, if it's the god of the bible.. We could start anywhere at all, to show it, but how about we start with god's central descriptor: love.. God commands us to "love our enemies," but he fries his forever in a pit of torture that he created and sustains and which smell he enjoys on his throne in heaven forever and ever.. Shall we continue from here?

March 13, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • A Universe 4 Free....1+(-1) = 0

You make as'sertions, yet back not one up. So sad. Too bad. Try again.

March 13, 2012 at 11:25 am |
    • A Universe 4 Free....1+(-1) = 0

"truely investigate" = code for : agree with me, or you're wrong.

March 13, 2012 at 11:26 am |
  18. Psalm 103

13 As a father has compassion on his children,
    so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him;
    14 for he knows how we are formed,
    he remembers that we are dust.
    15 The life of mortals is like grass,
    they flourish like a flower of the field;
    16 the wind blows over it and it is gone,
    and its place remembers it no more.
    17 But from everlasting to everlasting
    the LORD’s love is with those who fear him,
    and his righteousness with their children’s children—
    18 with those who keep his covenant
    and remember to obey his precepts.

March 13, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • Codepwned

I dunno... your god killed a lot of people for merely disagreeing with how to worship him. I don't think that's called love... Hitler did the same.

March 13, 2012 at 9:22 am |
  19. jimtanker

If god had wanted it to continue then he would have paid the bill.

March 13, 2012 at 8:29 am |
  20. Keith

This man is false teacher, apostate clown. So is Rick Warren. Someone needs to tell these Jehovah and allah are not the same.

March 13, 2012 at 8:15 am |
    • Dennis

There are no true Scotsmen.

March 13, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • David R

Anyone of genuine faith in Christ would see a fundamental difference in Schuller and Warren.. If anything they are a corrupted and distorted faith.. So I concur because they talk about Christ and acknowledge him (like the demons in the NT) but do not believe in a faith based salvation through Christ and to carry the cross daily. I hate false prophets are who are wolves in sheep clothing. Not only do they distort the Word but dishonor the Father and His Truth...

March 13, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • Greg

Don't know if I'd lump Warren in with the crystal cathedral clown...I'm not crazy about him but Warren could at least define the gospel if he had to, Schuller not a chance.

March 13, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • Nonimus

If Jehovah, Allah, Zeus, etc. are not the same, then let them say so, in person.

March 13, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Ross Hamilton

@Keith You raise an interesting point. Apparently people are compromising the truth in their desire to be seen as showing 'brotherly love'.
      While it is important to embrace people from all walks of faith it is essential to share the message and remember that Jesus very clearly said I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me. This is the message that every Christian ought to believe and share. When it comes to the truth, it comes from hearing the word of God as taught in the scriptures.

March 13, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Jesus: I am the only way.

Person: How do I know that to be true? You are one of many leaders who claim this.

Jesus: It's true because I said it.

March 13, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • Ross Hamilton

Jesus: I am the way, the truth and the life.

Doubter Thomas: I doubt that.

Believer X- Thomas, how can you ask the savior that question? Just believe in him.

Jesus- Thomas, reach out to me and know that I am who I am.

March 13, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Doubter: Reaching...reaching...nope, nobody there.

Believer: You aren't trying hard enough.

March 13, 2012 at 10:32 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Sorry, Ross, I simply cannot believe in such a being or any such promises. I see no evidence that there is anything but mumbo-jumbo behind the words.

March 13, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • Ross Hamilton

Believer X -Lord we pray that Doubter Thomas on this site will be touched directly by you. We know that you have a plan for Tom. We pray that you will touch Tom and restore faith in their life. In Jesus name. Amen.

March 13, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"Restore faith in their life." Whose life? Mine? I have plenty of faith in my life; I just don't have any in a god that sees all but does nothing to intervene, help, assuage, or relieve.

March 13, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why would I have faith in something that allows such monstrosities as the Crystal Cathedral to exist? Such smarmy impostors as Robert Schuller?

Really. The more I see of what purports to be Christianity, the less faith I have in it.

March 13, 2012 at 11:11 am |