home
RSS
My Take: Contraception politics makes good works difficult
The author has struggled to get contraception coverage from her Catholic employer.
March 16th, 2012

My Take: Contraception politics makes good works difficult

Editor’s note: The writer was granted anonymity because of concerns this piece could jeopardize her employment.

By Anonymous, Special to CNN

I love the good works my job at a Catholic nonprofit group enables me to do, advocating for the poor, hungry, sick and homeless.

My passion for these issues comes from Catholic social teaching. From my Catholic grammar school to my Catholic high school, I absorbed these teachings into my DNA. As I came into adulthood at a Catholic university, my commitment to social justice guided me.

The most profound declaration of faith I can make is practicing the Catholic teachings about human dignity and about what my faith calls the “preferential option for the poor” in my everyday life.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

My work brings attention to people who don’t have corporate lobbyists representing them in government. I advocate for people too often talked at or about, not to, and never with, by the elite and powerful.

But I’ve come to realize that women are excluded from the Catholic notion of social justice, specifically the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops’ understanding of social justice.

The bishops don’t understand women or biology. They understand power and control. They have become lobbyists in robes exerting influence in Washington and every state capital.

They are detached from the real life challenges facing women who sit faithfully in their pews, serving their churches, and millions like me who’ve rejected their power and control in order to keep the most important parts of our faith.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

The politically powerful bishops want to control access to contraception, portraying themselves as victims of the new federal healthcare law’s policy that provides free birth control coverage to women.

My work brings me in touch with people for whom the word “victim” has real meaning. The bishops aren’t victims. They’ve created a political charade based on invented threats to religious liberty.

What about my religious liberty and that of my co-workers? Real religious liberty gives everyone the right to make personal decisions, including whether to use birth control, based on our own beliefs.

And what about our health? When a colleague with a cancer-causing condition at my Catholic nonprofit needed contraception for her treatment last year, she didn’t know where to turn. Our employer doesn’t provide access to contraception, and she couldn’t afford the medication. Her condition got worse.

After months of waiting for permission from our employer, she was finally granted contraception coverage, and her condition improved. But she suffered needlessly in the interim.

Another co-worker, we learned, was paying $90 a month out-of-pocket for the contraception she needs to treat her polycystic fibrosis. That’s a significant monthly expense, especially considering “the pill” is the most commonly prescribed drug for women.

HR told us we had to ask permission of the agency’s CEO on a case-by-case basis. It reminded me of when I first got my period at age 12. My cramps were so bad that my pediatrician recommended contraception.

I had to ask my father’s permission. The only difference today is my colleagues and I aren’t young girls; the CEO isn’t our father.

Recently, I learned that I needed contraception for dysmenorrhea, and I thought my work helping my colleagues get contraception coverage meant I would have an easier time.

Instead, I had to explain my personal medical situation to a man in HR, which is embarrassing for any woman.

When I received special permission from the men in control to get medication to take care of my health – to live according to my beliefs – I requested that the agency develop protocols so no one else would have to go through the same humiliating process. The powers that be refused.

In rejecting the Obama administration’s compromise on contraception coverage – which mandates that insurance companies, not religiously affiliated employers, provide free contraception coverage – the church and the bishops find themselves out on a limb politically.

They have twisted religious liberty to mean they can impose their beliefs on others, and it’s taking a toll. The bishops’ rigid thinking caused me to leave the Catholic Church two years ago.

I could do the church’s good works advocating for others, but the only way I could advocate for myself was to leave the church.

I was no longer nourished spiritually. Instead, the spoken and unspoken messages about sexuality, the body and women – especially our inability to serve as clergy – forced me to leave.

Just like the people I advocate for, within the church hierarchy women are talked at and about, not to, and rarely with.

I’m deeply proud of my work representing the poor and dispossessed. I love my job, and the faith I’ve found through my work after leaving the church. I don’t like the thought of having to leave that behind, too.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author.

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Opinion

1. Annie's Daughter

In reply to Well let me say this about that
    I'm reminded of Eleanor Roosevelt's quote, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." My company is headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah so I am in constant contact with Mormon women in the business world and believe me, they are not oppressed. They are out spoken, forward thinking, intelligent and independent. What's more – they tend to have an inner peace and joy that is impressive. I have a tremendous respect for these women and their families. Perhaps what you think is oppression is really freedom to these women. As I stated I am Catholic, and cannot relate to the idea of being inferior or oppressed in my faith – actually I feel very free. What you call the bathwater of religion is really the baptismal water that washed the scales of darkness from my eyes and gave me 20/20 vision.

March 19, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
    • Primewonk

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"..."believe me, they are not oppressed"

Can you become a priest in your church? Can the Mormon women you associate with become priests in their religion?

March 19, 2012 at 8:46 pm |
  2. Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

March 19, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Jesus

"Prayer changes things"

You've been proven a liar over and over again on this blog. A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested Friday morning...

Plus don't forget. The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!! .. .. .. ...

March 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
  3. Joan Philips

There should be MORE Catholics speaking out about birth control. What the Church teaches is to me morally wrong. I once asked a Catholic why they believed that having babies was such a good thing. The answer was shocking and disturbing. He said that life on earth was brief and unimportant. What mattered was eternity in Heaven. God wanted more babies so there would be more people in heaven. Even if innocent babies suffered and died because we couldn't take care of them, that was okay, because it meant more people in heaven. REALLY??? You would create conditions that result in enormous suffering because God wants more people in Heaven?? Someone needs to stop these sickos.

March 19, 2012 at 5:59 pm |
  4. karen

Stand up for religious freedom. Friday march 23 from 12-1. Will take place across country in 120 cities! Standupforreligioufreedom.com

March 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm |
    • Primewonk

Doesn't seem to be much religious diversity in your little group Karen. Why are they all ignorant fundiots?

March 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What cities? I'd like to go...and throw some rotten tomatoes.

March 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
  5. Reality

Once again, some incentives to live a healthy life style and also ways to pay for universal health care.

1. An added two dollar health insurance tax (or higher) on a pack of cigarettes. Ditto taxes on alcoholic beverages, the higher the alcohol content, the higher the tax. Ditto for any product shown to be unhealthy (e.g. guns, high caloric/fatty foods??)

2. Physicals akin to those required for life insurance- the overly obese will pay signficantly more Medicare and universal health insurance (unless the obesity is caused by a medical condition).

3. No universal health care coverage for drivers driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs or using cell phones while driving.

4. No universal health coverage for drug addicts or for those having self-inflicted STDs as in not wearing a condom.

5. No universal health coverage for abortions unless the life of the mother is at significant risk and judged to be so by at least two doctors.

6. No universal health coverage for euthanasia.

7. No foreign aid given to countries who abort females simply because they are female.

March 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

You need to get a life Reality. Cutting and pasting misleading statistics, not to mention idiotic ideas like above, is useless. People have stopped reading your drivel, mostly because you have nothing to add to any conversation.

March 19, 2012 at 2:54 pm |
    • Reality

The $2 tax is part of the purchase of said toxic product.

Then there are blood tests for alcohol and other dangerous drugs. You fail the sobriety tests, there goes any kind of health insurance.

Along with traffic cameras and cell phone records, one can easily determine whether one was using a cell phone during an accident.

Not using protection during se-x and contracting a STD? If you contract a STD and want universal health care to cover the cost of the anti-biotic, show your sales slips for the purchase of the condoms along with verication from your partner that you used one.

March 19, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Reality

So what you want is to make it so expensive/difficult for people to make their own choices, in the hopes that they will make the choice you think is right.

March 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bingo!!! You nailed it. Really Stupid doesn't care about women or their health. His REAL goal is to force everyone to do as he thinks is right.

He's a moron.

March 19, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • Reality

"The HIPAA Pr-ivacy Rule recognizes the legitimate need for pu-blic health authorities and others responsible for ensuring pu-blic health and safety to have ACCESS to protected health information to carry out their pu-blic health mission. The Rule also recognizes that pu-blic health reports made by covered ent-ities are an important means of identifying threats to the health and safety of the pu-blic at large, as well as individuals. Accordingly, the Rule permits covered enti-ties to disclose protected health information without authorization for specified pu-blic health purposes. "

March 19, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • Forkeh

Or we could just do away with the entire concept of universal health care. Jesus, everyone wants something for nothing. Meanwhile our economy is going down the toilet, partially, and a very big part mind you, because of these leaches on the budget. There's a problem? Throw money at it. People can't afford health care, oh let the government take care of it. People can't afford rent, government. People can't afford to eat, government. And now because of all of these programs, the middle class is shrinking out of existence, the deficit is huge, there's no money, so we just keep printing more.....anyone recall a similar path Russia went down? How'd that work out for the Russians?

We need to do away with most of these welfare programs, public hand out, we need to do away with this ridiculous tax system, we need to stop imposing ridiculous taxes and hiring laws on businesses. We are set up to run a capitalist country, so it needs to be done. We can't sustain the socialistic state we've put ourselves in. And that's not an argument about the merits of either. It's about the bottom line, and bottom line, we're broke.

March 20, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  6. Wren

People saying this woman is an Atheist are awfully misinformed. What this woman has done is what the practice of religious reform is. She saw a problem with the touted way of worshiping her god and sought to change that by leaving the Catholic church. Not leaving religion altogether; because she believes in change.

An Atheist is someone more like me whose sense of reason is boggled as to why anyone would have religious faith since it cannot be scientifically proven.

March 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
  7. Reality

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS:

The reality of contraception and STD control: (from a guy who enjoys intelligent s-ex)

Note: Some words hyphenated to defeat an obvious word filter. ...

The Brutal Effects of Stupidity:

: The failures of the widely used birth "control" methods i.e. the Pill ( 8.7% failure rate- typical rate) and male con-dom (17.4% failure rate- typical rate) have led to the large rate of abortions and S-TDs in the USA. Men and women must either recognize their responsibilities by using the Pill or co-ndoms properly and/or use safer methods in order to reduce the epidemics of abortion and S-TDs.- Failure rate statistics provided by the Gut-tmacher Inst-itute. Unfortunately they do not give the statistics for doubling up i.e. using a combination of the Pill and a condom.

Added information before making your next move:

from the CDC-2006

"Se-xually transmitted diseases (STDs) remain a major public health challenge in the United States. While substantial progress has been made in preventing, diagnosing, and treating certain S-TDs in recent years, CDC estimates that approximately 19 million new infections occur each year, almost half of them among young people ages 15 to 24.1 In addition to the physical and psy-ch-ological consequences of S-TDs, these diseases also exact a tremendous economic toll. Direct medical costs as-sociated with STDs in the United States are estimated at up to $14.7 billion annually in 2006 dollars."

And from:

Consumer Reports, January, 2012

"Yes, or-al se-x is se-x, and it can boost cancer risk-

Here's a crucial message for teens (and all se-xually active "post-teeners": Or-al se-x carries many of the same risks as va-ginal se-x, including human papilloma virus, or HPV. And HPV may now be overtaking tobacco as the leading cause of or-al cancers in America in people under age 50.

"Adolescents don’t think or-al se-x is something to worry about," said Bonnie Halpern-Felsher professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "They view it as a way to have intimacy without having 's-ex.'" (It should be called the Bill Clinton Syndrome !!)

Obviously, political leaders in both parties, Planned Parenthood, parents, the "stupid part of the USA" and the educational system have failed miserably on many fronts.

The most effective forms of contraception, ranked by "Perfect use":

1.One-month injectable and Implant (both at 0.05 percent)
    2.Vasectomy and IUD (Mirena) (both at 0.1 percent)
    3.The Pill, Three-month injectable, and the Patch (all at 0.3 percent)
    4.Tubal sterilization (at 0.5 percent)
    5.IUD (Copper-T) (0.6 percent)
    6.Periodic abstinence (Post-ovulation) (1.0 percent)
    7.Periodic abstinence (Symptothermal) and Male condom (both at 2.0 percent)
    8.Periodic abstinence (Ovulation method) (3.0 percent)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

March 19, 2012 at 8:14 am |
    • .....

BULL SH IT

March 19, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • Reality

The real "Obamacare" i.e. getting re-elected on the backs of 39 million aborted womb babies by using the votes of the 78 million voters involved in said abortions.

March 19, 2012 at 11:32 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Guess what, you boob? The majority of Americans do not wish to see R v W overturned. You lose, loser.

March 19, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Reality

If the Pill and male condoms were used and used properly, abortion would not be an issue and Obama would not be president. Nor would there have been a Roe vs Wade ruling.

Take your Pills ladies, wear your condoms guys and save yourself a lot of money and grief and also thereby sending abortion doctors to the poor house.

March 19, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
  8. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things .

March 19, 2012 at 7:37 am |
    • Jesus

March 19, 2012 at 8:04 am |
    • just sayin

To it that takes the Lords name in vain
      You have no authority to judge anyone
      You have no credibility your arguments are rejected
      You have no veracity what you call proof is not
      Three strikes you're out.

March 19, 2012 at 8:20 am |
    • Jesus

To it that takes the Lords name in vain – NO it is just a name. – So you're LYING!

You have no authority to judge anyone – No you don’t! – So you're LYING!

You have no credibility your arguments are rejected – You can't prove your side but I can so you're LYING!

You have no veracity what you call proof is not – That is pure opinion not based on facts – so you're LYING!

Three strikes you're out. – More LIES go straight to hell.

March 19, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  9. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So, since God'sPoopchute isn't getting any, the rest of us are supposed to do what? Live without s3x? Get pregnant every 12 months?

Really?

I wonder, GodsPooper, what color is the sky on your planet?

Really, dude, you're a joke. Nobody lives by the Bible. Nobody. Least of all you, or you'd shut up and go do something about the disease, starvation, and death that abound in this world. You're a fraud. And a liar.

March 18, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  10. Miss Banks

I don't see what the big fuss is about. I get my pills from Wal-mart for $9 a month. No biggie. I don't need anyone to pay for my prescription for me.

March 18, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
    • AGuest9

It really isn't about getting them cheaply, it's all about political grandstanding. Both sides are now "dirty" on this one.

March 18, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Primewonk

Not all women can use your generic $9/month pills. Some need special hormonal formulations.

March 19, 2012 at 8:40 am |
  11. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Prayer has been shown to have no discernible effect towards what was prayed for.
    Prayer prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Prayer makes you fat.
    Prayer wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Prayer contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Prayer fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Prayer can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Prayer reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Prayer exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Prayer makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Prayer makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Prayer makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Prayer gives you knobbly knees.
    Prayer makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Just google him to find out.
    Prayer dulls your senses.
    Prayer makes you hoard cats.
    Prayer makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Prayer wastes time.

March 18, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
  12. GodsPeople

Obviously the author isn't a Christian. If she were, she would actually, oh I don't know, FOLLOW the rules.

March 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm |
    • SLC

God gave the human FREE WILL and a rational mind. That's the basic dogma of even the Catholics. Christ himself questioned established religious authority because it was WRONG–the religious authority of His time was using dogma as an excuse to marginalize God's own creation (sound familiar?). Christ's example paves the way for us, as rational beings with free will, to question the powers that be when they establish God as a petty and hateful creature completely counter to every ounce of textual information about God–especially the God of grace, love and forgiveness Jesus promoted in His Mission.

March 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Jesus

"God of grace, love and forgiveness Jesus promoted in His Mission."

You have no proof of this especially as more and more proof shows that other men continued to add to the bible story long after this Christ was dead. Then when you factor in that most that was written about me is taken from other religions, it's a myth and you belong to a cult nothing more.

March 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@SLC: Birth control actually violates God's oldest rule: Go forth and multiply. Therefore, anyone who uses it is NOT a true Christian.

@"Jesus": Silence, heretic.

March 18, 2012 at 6:02 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So, God'sPoop, I can assume you aren't getting any, then, right?

It shows.

March 18, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • Jesus

"@"Jesus": Silence, heretic."

Yeah, that's all you got since you can't prove my statement wrong. LOL!

March 19, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • Primewonk

godspeople wrote, " Birth control actually violates God's oldest rule: Go forth and multiply. Therefore, anyone who uses it is NOT a true Christian."

In that vase, your cults just got a whole lot smaller. 95-98% of all "christians use or have used birth control.

Sorry

March 19, 2012 at 8:43 am |
    • J.W

Many do not believe in this rule.

March 19, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  13. Mr. Duckworth

Excellent points Karen. It's clear your intelligent points cause your opposer to lose it and respond with cowardly threats and violent words that clearly highlight his need of education. Game over.

March 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, please. What "points" did karen "make", troll?

March 18, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  14. karen

Name calling takes away the credibility of your "argument". Bye-bye.

March 18, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Being an idiot takes away yours.

March 18, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  15. graytiger

@Tom

have mercy, some of these people are probably home schooled

March 18, 2012 at 11:35 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, gray, you're probably right.

March 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  16. karen

Basing your argument on name calling, takes away your credibility. Done.

March 18, 2012 at 11:28 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Not being able to correctly punctuate a sentence takes away yours, honey.

March 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  17. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

March 18, 2012 at 7:33 am |
    • Jesus

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!!! .. ....

March 18, 2012 at 1:22 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven !

March 18, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
    • Jesus

"Prayer changes things
      Proven !"

You've been proven a LIAR over and over again on this blog regardless of all the handles you use. Christians are rotting in jail because prayer didn't work to save their children.

March 18, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • just sayin

It is very amusing that you first post an absolute Truth and then reply with your lies. The contrast is amazing ! Praise God !

March 18, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Jesus

"It is very amusing that you first post an absolute Truth and then reply with your lies. "

Since your too lazy to know the real truth here is just one example. "Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested Friday morning"

March 18, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
    • Jesus

"then reply with your lies. "

You're the LIAR! More proof prayer doesn't work – An article in the Journal of Pediatrics examined the deaths of 172 children from families who relied upon faith healing from 1975 to 1995. They concluded that four out of five ill children who died under the care of faith healers or being left to prayer only, would most likely have survived if they had received medical care.

March 18, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
    • just sayin

March 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm |

Pot, kettle, black.

March 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm |
    • Jesus

"Hearsay is not proof. You have no credibility, veracity, authority or substance. Your argument is totally without merit."

More lies on top of more LIES!

March 19, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  18. Spirit88

IS the church saying that she can't have it? Or is the church unwilling to fund it. The Church or any other organization or business be subjected via governmental fiat to providing anything to it's employees. Benefits are part of compensation, and the business should be free to set compensation as they see fit. Did they say they would fire the woman if she took the drug, did they even deny her coverage of the drug? The answer of course is no, they were eminently generous and gave her what she wanted. The hysterical nature of this controversy may be what gives women a bad name. Has any one said anything about outlawing birth control? Based on this whole issue you would think they had. Had they even suggested that a law be passed that employers be forbidden from including birth control as part of their health care coverage? Again the answer is no. THE POINT IS THAT THE PRESIDENT(WITH NO CONGRESSIONAL AUTHORITY) ASKED PEOPLE TO PARTICIPATE IN SOMETHING THEY FEEL IS IMMORAL AND AGAINST THEIR RELIGION. Some how this has turned into free stuff for gals. The idiocy of the sheople that think this about people taking away the "God given right" to birth control is mind boggling. It appears that after the testimony of Ms. Fluke, women can't budget and are willing to sell away the rights of others for $1000 dollars a year in contraception.

March 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • AMD28

Well stated Spirit88. People who demonize religious sects because their century long belief system does not jive with the current trend in social policy makes me realize just how misguided some people are.

March 18, 2012 at 5:17 am |
    • Edna the Good Christian

I agree with AMD28! These modern social policy trends against slavery and killing misbehaving children and not letting deformed people in church are an outrageous affront to God and his centuries-long belief system.

March 18, 2012 at 5:29 am |
    • Wow.

These same insurance companies cover viagra for men...
      "Free" stuff for women too?! How rediculous for the government to treat us equally! I mean, its not like these women pay for their insurance every payday or anything. These women do not have to use contraception if they do not want to participate. The insurance business is a racket anyway. Anyone want them to stop covering testicular cancer too? I will never get it why should I pay for it? Since most men more than likely wouldnt benefit why should they also pay for it?

March 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm |
    • Old Man Warner

AMD and Edna are right! Are they also going to stop me from killing someone for working on Sunday even though it clearly states that I should in Exodus 31: 12-15. What will they take away next? The Lottery? They do say that over in the north village they're talking of giving up the lottery. Pack of crazy fools. Listening to the young folks, nothing good enough for them. Next thing you know they'll be wanting to go back to living in caves, nobody work anymore, live that way for a while.

March 19, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Marsha in IN

You can get drug cheaper in other countries. Why don't the drug co give the pills because you shouldn't take for any long time. They could kill you!!!! I just don't want government telling what women needs to take by men.

March 17, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  20. Haime52

The church is not and should not be in the business of being one's conscience. Contraception is a private matter and between God and the person. If it is a sin, it is a secret one and there it should remain. They did not mandate coverage for abortion, which would grossly controvert church law, so what is the rub? They may view it as such, but many times the fertilized egg just doesn't "stick" and no one morns for the lost (potential) life, exception perhaps those desparatel trying to get pregnant.

March 17, 2012 at 7:06 pm |
    • karen

They are mandating coverage of abortifacient drugs. It is all in violation of the first amendment.

March 17, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The pill does not cause an abortion, you fuckwit. Abortions are caused by unwanted pregnancies the pill would prevent.

Get it through your concrete skull.

March 17, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
    • karen

Educate yourself. Learn what is included in mandate. Hence, my comment on abortifacient drugs. You can Google the word if you need assistance in defining it.

March 17, 2012 at 10:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I KNOW what's in the law. You're full of crap, karen. Get a friggin' clue stick and smack your empty skull with it.

March 17, 2012 at 10:56 pm |
    • Following Karen's Brilliant Logic . . .

Male masturbation is abortion, and abortion is murder, so masturbation is murder!

And blowjobs! Facials! Murder murder MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there a full moon out tonight? Why are we getting all these nutty "contraceptives are abortion" whack-a-doodles today?

March 17, 2012 at 11:02 pm |
    • Chad

"Advocates of religious freedom were outraged on January 20, when the Obama administration announced it would enforce its new mandate for contraception and sterilization coverage in private health-insurance plans without a meaningful conscience exemption. Even most religious organizations can’t qualify for the rule’s incredibly narrow “religious employer” exception, which will remain unchanged. NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood have said pro-life organizations are wrong to oppose such mandates: After all, they argue, increasing access to contraception (especially “emergency contraception” or “EC”) will reduce abortion, and don’t we all want that?

This argument conveniently ignores studies showing that such access simply doesn’t reduce abortion rates. For example, out of 23 studies on the effects of increased access to ECs, not one study could show a reduction in unintended pregnancies or abortions. It also ignores the fact that at least one EC drug covered by the mandate, “Ella,” is a close analogue to the abortion pill RU-486; both drugs can induce abortion weeks into pregnancy.

But the final proof that this mandate was sold using cynical falsehoods has just been unveiled.
      On January 26, a house committee in the Washington State legislature approved what may become the nation’s first-ever law forcing private health-insurance plans to cover abortion through all stages of pregnancy. This “Reproductive Parity Act” states that any health-insurance plan providing “coverage for maternity care or services” must prove “substantially equivalent coverage” for “the voluntary termination of a pregnancy.” It seems that if a health-insurance plan will cover a full-term live birth, it must also pay for a late-term abortion."

Why do you want to kill children so badly?

March 17, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Odd, Chard, that you don't cite your source for this "information". Why is that?

March 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • karen

No, I am discussing the use of drugs which kill a conceived child in early pregnancy, not about sperm. Open a textbook.

March 18, 2012 at 7:07 am |
    • TruthPrevails

There are no drugs that kill a conceived child, the only way for that to happen is to get an abortion which is not illegal before the end of the first trimester. This is about the birth control pill; iud's; any other form of contraceptive that requires a prescription to obtain...none of which anyone has a say about when it comes to personal use. There are women who should not, for health reasons, get pregnant and there are others for economic reasons that just simply don't want more children. The church and anyone who believes they have a say in what a woman does with her body are simply delusional and need to learn to mind their own business!

March 18, 2012 at 8:07 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Shut yer trap and "open a textbook" yourself, karen. The only thing you're reading that's providing such false information is an anti-choice site. Get a clue, darling.

March 18, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And since we can see that the Chard hasn't deigned to provide HIS source, we can guess it's just as spurious as yours, karen.

March 18, 2012 at 11:08 am |