home
RSS
Egypt's Christians prepare to bury Coptic pope
Pope Shenouda III led Egypt's Coptic Christians for more than 40 years
March 18th, 2012

Egypt's Christians prepare to bury Coptic pope

From Mohamed Fadel Fahmy, For CNN

Egypt's Coptic Christians are preparing for the funeral Pope Shenouda III, an event expected to bring millions of Christians onto the streets of Egypt at time when tensions with the Muslim majority are high.

Shenouda III of Alexandria, who led Egypt's Coptic Christian community for more than four decades, died Saturday. He was 88.

Egypt's Christian minority has been the target of a number of high-profile attacks in the past several years.

FULL STORY

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Egypt • Islam

1. Ronnie12345

tom tom the bigot

May 14, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  2. Christianity is not healthy for children and other living things

Christianity makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. Read about it at http://santorum.com
    Christianity takes people away from actually working on real solutions to their problems.
    Christian prayer has been shown to have no discernible effect towards what was prayed for.
    Christianity prevents you from getting badly needed exercise.
    Christianity makes you fat.
    Christianity wears out your clothes prematurely.
    Christianity contributes to global warming through excess CO2 emissions.
    Christianity fucks up your knees and your neck and your back.
    Christianity can cause heart attacks, especially among the elderly.
    Christianity makes you frothy like Rick Santorum. See http://santorum.com to learn more.
    Christianity reveals how stupid you are to the world.
    Christianity exposes your backside to pervert priests.
    Christianity makes you think doilies are exciting.
    Christianity makes you secretively flatulent and embarrassed about it.
    Christianity makes your kids avoid spending time with you.
    Christianity gives you knobbly knees.
    Christianity dulls your senses.
    Christianity makes you post really stupid shit.
    Christianity makes you hoard cats.
    Christianity makes you smell like shitty kitty litter and leads you on to harder drugs.
    Christianity wastes time.

March 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  3. momoya

@b4bigbang.

I was responding to your very last post to me; it's on page 2; you begin with my name, "momoya.".

I'm amazed that you would rather talk about my method of replying rather than simply look back at your last post directly addressed to me.. You accused me of something in your last post.. I rebutted your last post to me.. This isn't rocket science..

Now will you address my points?

March 20, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Celtic

Momoya,
      I try and stay away from the blogs in this section ( I've read some of the comments and they are most times a little to vulgar for me. Anyway you always seem to give your opinion without trashing the opinion of others. Good for you. Though I may agree with your views, I have found them well said and interesting.

March 20, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  4. r2d2

bring me my b*i*t*c*h*e*s and Ho's

I want my money

Damm, pimpin ain't easy

March 19, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
  5. Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things.

March 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • Jesus

"Prayer changes things"

Not it doesn't You've been proven a liar over and over again on this blog. A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested Friday morning...

March 19, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • George Costanza

It's not a lie... If you believe it.

March 20, 2012 at 2:33 am |
    • HotAirAce

George, are you serious? Are you really saying that if someone believes something then that something is true? If yes, then all I have to do is really believe that gravity does not apply to me and I'll be able to float in midair? Or did I miss something?

March 20, 2012 at 3:14 am |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer really changes things,

March 19, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Jesus

Plus don't forget. The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs!! .. .. ......

March 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things...except in this case where he died of more than one disease at once despite being a holy man. So never mind.

March 19, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
  7. jimtanker

"He died of renal failure "due to the diabetes he endured for years," said Sheif Doss, head of the Egyptian General Coptic Association. The pope had lung cancer, which spread to the rest of his body, Doss said."

Wasnt someone saying something about the power of prayer? Hmmm.......

Guess that this guy just wasnt part of the big plan.

March 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm |
    • just sayin

All people die, few really live.

March 19, 2012 at 4:11 pm |
    • Atheism is healthy for children and other living things

True, few truly live when most waste their lives on myths. Does your god talk to you?

March 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Varangian

Well he was 88. How much longer should he have lived?

March 19, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  8. momoya

@b4bigbang

Why cop a sarcastic tone in your reply to me?. I'm not dismissing "the other side's arguments as coming from pure 'myth'," I'm stating the facts as they appear to me.. You can't show that your holy book is more than just another myth, so I don't see why I should adopt your position of faith that it's more than a myth..

You see, it's not about who you screaming about being oppressed or nasty, mean 'ole atheists, it's about you wanting special privileges because of your faith.. You don't get special treatment because so many people believe similarly to you do about a book of collected myths.. Bring forth your ideas and test their mettle in the marketplace of ideals and public debate.. Christians like you need to stop pretending that their ideas are more valid because they come from a supernatural origin.

p.s. I found your reply to me rather nasty in it's several paragraphs of irrelevant childish whining about mistreatment that never occurred in my post to you.. Grow up.. Learn to recognize when somebody is just refuting your points, not attacking you personally.. You're not god, after all, you're just one of his representatives; it would behoove you to be honest.. It makes you and your idea look bad when you lie just in order to project your anger on your opponent.

March 19, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • b4bigbang

@momoya: what are you talking about? If u have a prob w/my tone in a particular post, then please post my full statement – that is, if it was posted in the belief section, which, as you know, is not included in the handy 'recent posts' tool.
      Bottom line: if u r going to rant in an acusatorial way at me, then at least do me the courtesy of showing me *my* rant.

March 19, 2012 at 8:33 pm |
    • Army Brat

I just recently started reading these blogs. I must say even though I may not agree with some of your comments, you are always respectful. and always show class. I also read some of his or her posts..... If people need to be rude and in some cases way out of line, then they are not worth responding too.

March 19, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • b4bigbang

@momoya: also, please note that someone else has posted outright vulgarities under my alias on at least one occasion.

March 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Thanks for the encouragement, Army Brat. I don't always say the right thing, but i do try most of the time.

March 19, 2012 at 9:32 pm |
    • Peter

Amy Brat is the same poster as b4bigbang. It's funny that someone is so insecure they have to use another handle to complement themselves... how lame.

March 19, 2012 at 9:36 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Gee, how shocking that b4hewasagirl has to create an alias! I'm truly appalled and surprised!!!

March 19, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
    • Army Brat

I love it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! really people. Too too funny. oh godness, back to work.

March 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • momoya

@b4bigbang

Now will you address my points?

March 20, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  9. Bo

Testimony from a friend:
    Bob [sic, not his real name] was at home not feeling well at all, in fact he was feeling very miserable.* God spoke to him to go and see a friend who he had not seen for a long time. (God speaking to people is not necessarily an audible‭ experience, but rather a strong i‬rresistible‭ impression.)
    ‭“God” he said, “I’m sick, I can’t go see Barbara [sic, not her real name] I can hardly get out of bed.”
    ‭Again God spoke, more forceably “Go see Barbara!” My friend said that he argued with God about going to see Barbara, but God would not give up. So Bob finally got up and dressed to go see Barbara, but first he made a phone call to Barbara, but there was no answer.
    ‭Bob said, “See God, she ‘s not even home, there is no reason to go.”
    ‭God: “Go! Don’t argue with me!”
    ‭Bob went out; got in his old car and drove to his friend’s house.
    ‭When he got to Barbara’s house her dog is franicly running around. The dog knew Bob and he ran over Bob, but insead of waiting to petted, as he usually did, he kept running to the door and back to Bob.
    ‭Bob said that he knocked on the door but there was no response so he turned to leave, but God spoke to him again, “Go in!”
    ‭Bob replied, “God, I don’t do that, you know I just don’t go into people’s homes.”
    ‭God: “Bob! Go in!”
    ‭So Bob tried to open the door, it was unlocked, but there is something blocking the door from opening, so he gave the door a really hard shove and there he found his friend Barbara laying on the floor, up against the door. At first he thought she might be dead, so he checked: she was breathing.
    ‭Now both he and his friend are diabetic so he had his blood sugar meter with him and he checked her blood. Bob said he was scared right out of his skin, her blood surgar is down to 2.0, or something I don’t remember, but at a really dangerous low level. He called for an ambulance and then mixed some sugar and water and started to force his friend to swallow it.
    ‭He saved his friend’s life.
    ‭He said. “I’ll never argue with God again, even if I’m too sick to go out.”

‭I know there are some who will srug this off as just a c‬oincidence,‭ but I can give a lot more stories of how God works, including some of my own.
    ‭Do you want to try to convice these people that God is not there?

‭*Just because we are Christians does not mean that we do not suffer from the results of sin. We suffer from many maladies, we get injuries, we get diseases, we get sick, we die.

March 19, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • iamdeadlyserious

It's mildly disturbing that your god has the time to have one-on-one conversations with your friends, yet he seems to have no interest in talking to the people around the world who are starving to death.

March 19, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

Boring

March 19, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • William DeMuth

Seriously? Like for reals?

This is no bettert than a group of autistic kids playing post office.

If you actually believe this drivel, I BEG you, don't reproduce, and spare us another generation of simpletons we don't need.

March 19, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • Sophia

The problem with people like you Bo is it's not a God, but yourself doing it. When a thought of a friend comes into my mind, I pick up the phone or visit them, usually they need to talk or something bad has happened. I am not a believer but yet I had the same experience as Bob.

March 19, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bo mistakes 'intuition' for "god'. Big surprise.

March 19, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • Bo

@imamdeadlyserious: God can/could have a one-on-one conversation with every one of us if we were just in tune with Him. Some people have a closer relationship with God than others, and at times we, as individuals, have a closer relationship at different times. Most of the time, a person needs to know and acknowledge God to be able to listen to God speak to him/her.
      We do not always know why God does, what He does, nor do we understand exactly why God allows certain things to happen. I know that because of the sin in this world many evil things happen. The starving people of this world could be fed if it were not the selfish/self-centered people. There is enough food in this world to feed those starving people, so why are they starving? Could it be that people are more interested in their own petty, selfish wants, not needs, but wants, that there is no thought of people that have needs? There are people in this world that have millions, yet they feel they are giving their share by only donating a few hundred dollars. Explain that? Even the RCC has enough money to do a great deal of work, so–what is the Vatican doing? Maybe it’s because it would take a small military army just to get the food to theses people? and maybe if the country would just let other countries and people help.
      Hypothetical scenario: Supposing the famous Rose Parade of Pasadena California were called off and the people were asked to send all the money that would otherwise be spent on making that event happen, including the advertising money, and the huge amount of money spent by people just to get there to see the parade, was to be sent to the starving people of the world. How much money would actually be sent?

@ Sophia, re-read, this person was really sick, I didn't say what was wrong with “Bob” What had happened was that he was an older person and he had just had all his (remaing) teeth pulled, he didn't feel like doing anything, he didn't even want to get out of bed. Remember, he didn't want to go.

Tom, Tom: Try to explain “intuitive” (intuition). Can atheists be intuitive if they are really reasonable? I think, when right, intuition comes from God, both to the believers and the unbelievers, otherwise it is just "suppostion". Unbelievers just don't know it is from God. My friend would have, otherwise, been acting very unreasonable. Remember, He didn't want to go.

March 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
    • iamdeadlyserious

Bo: I don't disagree with your assessment of why we have starving people in the world. I disagree that your notion of a "loving" god can exist if he allows that to happen while he's having one-on-one time with people who need help winning a football game.

March 19, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You can "think" all you want that "intuition comes from God", Bo. Doesn't make it true.

What you describe is your own belief, not fact.

March 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And really, how dumb is this assumption that "intuition comes from God"? If that were true, then every person who has a friend collapse inside the front door would be "inspired" to go find him or her.

Why would your omnipotent good fairy only choose to save one acquaintance and not all?

March 19, 2012 at 2:30 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And where in the heck do you get the notion that I have any interest in 'convincing' someone that there is no God? I couldn't care less what you believe in, as long as you knock off your interference with my rights as a person who lives in a secular nation that doesn't require me to live by your beliefs.

March 19, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
    • Bo

@iamdeadlyserious: It is because you don't understand the nature of sin and God and what in happening on this tiny planet. You want it your way—the way you think it should be. This little planet is playing out the example of the “mystery of sin”, and the whole universe is is the audience of what sin can and will it do to the creatures of God. Do you think God enjoys all this sorrow and destruction? NO! Absolutely not! But, He must allow it to happen, and when it is all over, when sin will no longer raise it's ugly head, then the universe will be at peace. Nor can we understand the mystery of the love of God.
      It is a terrible mistake for men to think that they are wiser and more intelligent than God. The wisdom of man is child's play to God.
      I too, have terrible things that happen in my life that are sad and disappointing, things that I can not understand. There are things that I want to get angry with God and ask, “Why?” (I'm going through one right now, so disappointing that I cry sometime every day. If it were not for my faith in God I believe I would take my life.) I wouldn't be the first who ever got angry with God, but it is only faith that carries us through. Why God chooses for some to suffer more than others I do not know, but God has His reasons.
      As one wise person put it: “...we may not understand the sorrow and disappointments of this life, but when we reach the other side we will understand fully and would have it no other way.” We must put our faith in the One who knows best. We make a mistake to try to out guess God. We make a mistake to say; “If I were God....”
      I'm only sorry for your choice not to believe.

March 19, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Stick you sorries in a sack, Bo. You don't have any idea what's "on the other side" or even if there IS another 'side'. And your posts are hardly of the quality that would convince anyone you had a clue.

March 19, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • b4bigbang

Excellent testimony Bo!

March 19, 2012 at 8:36 pm |
    • fred

THanks Bo ! appreciate that encourangement.

March 19, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Praise from the Tweedledee and TweedleRetard=no credibility whatsoever for Bobo.

March 19, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  10. William DeMuth

I believe three are dead in violence related to his funeral.

Four down: several million to go.

Limited progress yes, but progress none the less.

March 19, 2012 at 9:41 am |
  11. Prayer is not healthy for children and other living things

Lots of anger flowing here today!

Real rage!

13. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

March 19, 2012 at 7:31 am |
    • Jesus

March 19, 2012 at 8:02 am |
    • just sayin

To it that takes the Lords name in vain
      I reject your arguments and disavow your proofs as they are not proofs.

March 19, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Jesus

To it that takes the Lords name in vain – it's just a name, more LIES

I reject your arguments and disavow your proofs as they are not proofs. it's because you have no facts to back yourself up – more LIES

March 19, 2012 at 11:03 am |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

I reject all reality and replace it with my own.

March 19, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
  14. Mark from Middle River

TomTom... wow... chill out.... he is only using ridicule instead of arguments and since he know how to "code" in the swear words you are losing this contest to a better person. Time to call it a night TomTom... taste of your own medicine and all 🙂

March 19, 2012 at 3:18 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, gee, the Piddler babbles again, but it's nothing better than the usual dreck.

March 19, 2012 at 10:03 am |
  15. Enoch

R.I.P

Finally, an amateur captured on video scenes of violence against a domestic worker, an Ethiopian Christian girl. The video was aired on the local Lebanese television channel LBC. The Ethiopian victim was trying to get to her country's embassy, when her employer/agent dragged her by force to the car.

Human Rights groups and local activists have been reporting heavily on the abuse of domestic workers in Lebanon, where there are growing demands for more protection and law enforcement in such cases.

March 19, 2012 at 1:39 am |
  16. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Really, do heed what I said about your time on earth, you trolls. You aren't going to be here for very long. We are here for a very short time, and then it's over. Choose wisely how you spend what time you have. If you truly want to use a percentage of your little allotment to post here, by all means, have at it. But do recognize that those hours will never be redeemed.

You can't have them back to go fishing with your son or grandson. You can't have them back to hold hands with your mother or your child.

They're gone for good. Do you really want to waste that time here, on idiots like just sayin and Keith?

Really?

March 18, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Harvey Wallbanger

That's a very weird comment from someone who spends so much of their time here. Perhaps subconsciously you are your own intended audience?

March 19, 2012 at 1:30 am |
    • just sayin

I take burnt umbrage at that statement !

March 19, 2012 at 8:34 am |
  17. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Did anyone reading here notice that Pipe Smoker didn't answer the question as to how long it had been married?

Interesting, n'est pas?

March 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • just sayin

non

March 19, 2012 at 8:35 am |
  18. Pipe-Dreamer

Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son wrote on March 18, 2012 at 10:26 pm, stating "I am SO bereft!!! PD doesn't respect my 33-year marriage!!!! BOOOOOHOOOOHOOO! However WILL I survive this terrible blow?! Do tell me, PD, what is YOUR secret? How long have YOU been married? To what do you attribute your successful marriage?? I await your advice as to how I can manage to have a successful union. I do not want to have a 33-year marriage suddenly fail due to my shortcomings as a wife! Do tell me what I can do to ensure that my marriage of 33 years will continue to survive! I await your insights!"

Playing footloose and fancy free T T?
    OR
    Gussying up

March 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Was that your best effort?

Really lame.

Good night, little troll.

March 18, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
  19. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder, PD, how old are you? Why is it you're so bitter? Why are you posting here on a Sunday evening instead of being with the one you love? Hmmm?

March 18, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
    • Pipe-Dreamer

Keep on won dering Tom Thumb penis sucker,,, Bitter U ask? I came to this Blog lookin for someone to read my thoughts of wit but the only poster was U and your' blasphemous banter! Why is it on this Sunday I come here and find writings of crap by U!!!!! If WAFJUR

March 18, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Your "thoughts of wit"? When did you have those? Or post them? I've never seen anything posted under your moniker that wasn't complete and utter drivel, you moron.

March 18, 2012 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Jealousy is such an ugly trait, PD. I hope you can manage to find someone so you're not alone and desperate for attention on an anonymous board much of your life. After all, there's not that much time left.

March 18, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • Pipe-Dreamer

QUIT MIXING UP JEALOUSY WITH HATRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 18, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Why waste your little time on earth with either, sh!thead? You aren't going to live that long, dear. Go find another outlet for your energies.

March 18, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

By the way, PipeSmoker, how long HAVE you been married? Hmmm?

Let me know when you conjure up a fake answer to that question, you phony little turd.

March 18, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, that's what I thought. You've either never been married, or you're unhappily shackled.

March 18, 2012 at 11:55 pm |