home
RSS
Atheist organizer takes ‘movement’ to nation’s capital
American Atheists president David Silverman in Washington, planning for Saturday's rally.
March 23rd, 2012

Atheist organizer takes ‘movement’ to nation’s capital

By Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Sitting in a chilly hotel hospitality suite in a suburban Maryland hotel, David Silverman plans his attack. As the frequently quoted president of the American Atheists and a constant thorn in the side of religious organizations, attack mode comes easily to him.

At the moment, it isn’t the religious right or the “horribly misinformed,” a term Silverman uses for certain religious people, that are in his sights. Rather, it’s a menu.

“Spinach or Caesar salad?” Silverman, 45, asks to no one in particular. His dinner guests, a logistics consultant, a Marriott hotel representative and Silverman’s new administrative director, eat through a few courses before discussion turns to dessert.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“In the beginning, God created chocolate,” Silverman says, his eyes scanning the table for reaction.

Laughter ensues. But this is a business meal. From choosing salads for a fundraising dinner to studying the timing of the Washington transit system, Silverman has been spending less time recently on the big question of God’s existence and more time immersing himself in the nitty-gritty of planning what he promises will be the largest-ever atheist gathering.

On Saturday, Silverman hopes that from 10,000 to 20,000 atheists, agnostics, doubters and secularists of all stripes to converge on the National Mall in Washington for what his group calls the Reason Rally.

Silverman is especially proud of the event’s speaker’s list, dropping names like a proud father. He beams when noting that the man he calls “Dawkins” – Richard Dawkins, the scientist and author of “The Blind Watchmaker” and “The God Delusion” – will headline the rally.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

“We have people busing in from as far west as Ohio, as far south as Florida and as far north as Maine,” Silverman says. The weekend will also play host to the American Atheists’ annual convention, to be held at the Maryland Marriot where Silverman is debating salad options.

Silverman is billing the weekend as a watershed movement in the atheist “coming out,” of recent years.

“We want people to know we are huge, we’re everywhere, and we are growing,” he says. “The goal is to advance the position of atheists in America.”

A nice guy combatant

Silverman, a professional inventor at Bell Labs who has 74 patents under his name in the area of telecommunications infrastructure, worked his way up the ladder at American Atheists.

He started as a volunteer in New Jersey in 1996, moved up to be the state’s director and then jumped from national spokesperson to vice president. In 2010 he became president of the organization, which counts 4,000 members, has a $750,000 annual budget and has become the organizational face of a burgeoning American movement of atheists.

Silverman has taken the group in a much more outspoken direction, reflecting a national trend among atheists.

“Ed is extremely intelligent, better educated than I am… I think I have more fire than he had,” Silverman says of his predecessor at American Atheists, Ed Buckner. “It shows itself in the billboards; it shows itself in the press; it shows itself in our corporate attitude.”

In November 2010, weeks before Christmas, American Atheists placed a billboard at the New Jersey entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel that showed the three wise men heading to Bethlehem with the message “You KNOW it’s a Myth. This Season, Celebrate Reason.”

The sign earned national media attention and stirred so much controversy that it prompted the conservative Catholic League for Religious and Civil rights to respond with a pro-Christmas billboard at the New York end of the Lincoln Tunnel. “You Know It's Real,” the sign said. “This Season Celebrate Jesus.”

Silverman says that atheist billboards started popping up in the 1970s but then mostly disappeared until the Secular Coalition for America started raising billboards around the country several years ago.

Silverman has taken the billboards to an aggressive new level. Earlier this month, his group paid $30,000 to post two billboards - one in heavily Muslim Patterson, New Jersey, and another in a heavily Jewish Brooklyn neighborhood - that read “You know it’s a myth … and you have a choice.”

The signs were admittedly in your face, says Silverman – all the more so because they were in Arabic and Hebrew.

“What I am doing is not giving religion respect that it wants but it doesn’t deserve,” Silverman said. “I respect people; I respect humans. I do not respect religion. And I do not respect the idea that religion deserves respect.”

That attitude has made Silverman a bogeyman for religious groups, especially conservative ones who discern a secular assault on American religion.

“These people are vicious is what they are,” says Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League. “They stand for nothing. Their only existence is to be against people of faith.”

And yet some of his faith-based enemies say Silverman treats them with respect. Donohue says Silverman “is a nice enough guy” and that on the occasions they’ve met, the atheist organizer displayed geniality and a sense of humor.

Alex McFarland, the Christian director of Worldview and Apologetics at North Greenville University, holds regular public debates with Silverman about God and the place of religion in American culture. Though they “disagree on God and a lot of the great issues of life,” McFarland says, he has “great respect for David Silverman.”

“I enjoy dialoguing with people like him that are misguided,” McFarland says. “I feel a duty to give a response to people that are holding positions that undermine the fabric of our liberties and freedoms.”

Silverman speaks highly of sparring partners like Donohue and McFarland. “I don’t see them as evil people, I see them as wrong people,” Silverman says.

But he believes they overlook one major aspect of atheism – that its numbers are growing.

Atheists have long pointed to surveys that suggest atheists and agnostics make up between 3% and 4% of the U.S. population. That number increases when Americans unaffiliated with any religion are included. The Pew Center’s U.S. Religious Landscape Survey found that 16% are unaffiliated, though only a fraction of those are avowed atheists and agnostics.

“Atheism is growing in all 50 states,” Silverman says. “What people don’t seem to understand is all we demand at American Atheists is equality. We don’t want the obliteration of religion; we don’t want religion wiped off the face of the earth.”

From Hebrew school to disbelief

As a kid in Massachusetts, Silverman was the only atheist he knew. “I’ve been an atheist all my life,” he says. “When I was a kid, I had to get on a bike, I had to ride 2 miles to the library to find the one book that had to do with atheism.”

Silverman was raised Jewish. His parents sent him to Hebrew school and he had a bar mitzvah, even after telling his mother that he did not believe in God.

“I remember it clearly, getting up on stage and everybody in my life was in front of me. Everyone,” Silverman says, recalling his bar mitzvah. “And I stood up there, and I looked everyone in the eye, and I lied. I lied. And I hated it.”

For Silverman, it was a turning point, a moment when he resolved not to lie about his disbelief. “It was one of those experiences… it saddened me,” Silverman says, the disgust showing as he contorts his face. “And I didn’t really do anything about it. I just did it.”

Silverman studies computer science at Brandeis University, a predominantly Jewish school that helped him cement his non-belief and honed his debating skills.

“I was the fodder of debate,” Silverman says. In the lunchroom, he proudly used the non-Kosher trays and relished debates with religious friends.

“Even the people who had gone to school to become rabbis could not put together a reason to believe in God,” Silverman says.

At Brandeis, Silverman met his future wife, Hildy. “Very early on when we dated, it was more of an issue because I was Orthodox and he was atheist,” Hildy laughs. “We were actually apart for a few years because we couldn’t see how that would work.”

Two years after graduation though, Hildy called him and said that she was doubting her religion and needed a non-religious weekend. Silverman picked her up from the airport and six months later the “mixed” couple, as Silverman calls them, was married.

“Religion is not a factor in our lives to the point that is causes strife,” Silverman says. Hildy stills attends Orthodox synagogue sporadically.

“I am a very strong supporter of separation of church and state,” she says. “My husband has no problem with people believing what they believe. I am proof of that. He just doesn’t want it foisted on him. And I am totally in line with that.

“I think he is extremely brave in what he does,” she says.

The couple has one child, 14-year-old Rayanne. She was introduced to Judaism at a young age and attended a Hebrew school in New Jersey. When it came time to plan for a bat mitzvah, however, Rayanne let her parents knew the truth.

She didn’t want one. She was an atheist.

Silverman says he didn’t want his daughter to be an atheists just because he is, but his pride in her decision is clear. For him, she is the future of atheism.

“I am very confident that we will win within 20 years,” he says. “I am saying that we will have a substantially more equal presence in 20 years.”

No issue too small

Back at the hotel, Silverman has turned his focus from the monotony of salads and soups to more pressing issues.

“What are we going to do about the Bibles in the room,” Silverman asks the obviously surprised Marriott event planner. “We do not want the Bibles in the rooms.”

It is Marriott policy not to remove Bibles in guest rooms, but Silverman won’t back down.

“We need to do something with them,” he says, ticking off ideas with his assistant: Recycle them, give them away, put them outside the doors, perhaps even destroy them.

The event planner sits back in her chair, struggling for words.

“What we don’t want to do is be disrespectful to the hotel,” says Silverman’s administrative director, Amanda Knief, putting an end to the discussion.

Yet Silverman plans to encourage atheist guests to place Bibles outside their doors in protest.

For him, each battle - whether over the presence of a cross at the World Trade Center memorial or Bibles in a hotel room - is worth having.

After the latest American Atheist billboards went up in Patterson and Brooklyn, Silverman said he reported death threats to the police. His attitude: just par for the course, another day in the life.

“We ask the tough questions,” he says. “We say the things that are politically incorrect if they need to be said.”

“We will win the big picture,” Silverman says, twice in a row. “(Being) the Marines of free thought means that we are going to fight the unpopular fight, and yes we are going to win.”

- Dan Merica

Filed under: Atheism • DC • Politics

soundoff (3,330 Responses)
  1. 2tor

ho humm. His religion is no different from those he attacks.

March 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Let me explain it then, 2tor, God vs no god.

March 23, 2012 at 7:53 pm |
  2. druffmaul

The only reason you believe in God/Jesus is that you were born in a time and place where it's common and the accepted norm. If you were born in ancient Egypt, you'd be offering sacrifices to Isis. And if you were born 100 years from now, you'd probably be an atheist like most of the populace will be.

March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • JakeAZ

all babies are born atheists.

when christopher columbus sailed the ocean blue in 1492 why did he not find a continent full of christians if that is the one true religion? religion travels via word of mouth obviously and is man-made.

March 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • me

another fish that can't think beyond the fishtank

March 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • druffmaul

Another faithful zombie that would rather believe a nice comforting like than face the harsh truth.

March 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
    • me

@druffmaul another hater that thinks beliving in non-physical is illogic...

March 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm |
  3. Jonathan Brouillette

James 1:27
    Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • RillyKewl

Ha!! Thats a good one. When's it gonna start?

March 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • me

polluted by hate? thought so

March 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
  4. gkedpage

I am proud to be an agnostic. I personally don't think god exists, but as a scientist we argue that since we don't have proof that god doesn't exist, we should not rule out the possibility. That is the only reason I consider myself agnostic. I have huge respect for people of faith but I personally don't think we need the notion of god to give our life a reason.

March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • me

follow love's path and you'll make it, because love is not religion, love is love

March 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Mathematical proof of the non-existence of god is no more necessary than proof that the sandman (whom I used to love) does not exist.

March 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
  5. Arthur Paliden

It is interesting that a lot of people seem to find it ok to worships an admitted mass murdering terrorist:

"And it came to pass, that at midnight the LORD smote all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh that sat on his throne unto the firstborn of the captive that was in the dungeon; and all the firstborn of cattle. And Pharaoh rose up in the night, he, and all his servants, and all the Egyptians; and there was a great cry in Egypt; for there was not a house where there was not one dead." (Exodus 12:29-30)

(terrorism – killing those with no political power to force political change by those with political power)

March 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • Spelunker4Plato

Psalms 137:9 is what I say. The Bible is a great book for nation building, I tell you what.

March 23, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  6. me

want some physical evidence of God's existance? lol only one single intelligent & rational species out of a billion that is able to believe in God, now that's evolution... 🙂

March 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • RillyKewl

Nope, that's fantasy, and rumor.

March 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • Penguin

On behalf of my species, I tell you: only one species is DUMB enough to believe that. The rest of us are doing awesome, nutty humans!

March 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • me

fantasy? lol please explain what caused the big bang fantasy first 🙂

March 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

lol what???

March 23, 2012 at 7:57 pm |
  7. contraryjim

Since the beginning of time religion has allied itself with power and vice versa to keep people in bondage. It is ok not to believe. Why do churches get tax breaks?

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • Kramer

Why does EVERY food company have to pay JEWISH rabbis a kosher tax in order to sell their products? Why do Jews control every major media outlet? Why do Jews mock Christianity so often and with such zeal? Visit incogman.net for a little "re-education" and to find out the answer to the previous questions 🙂

March 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
  8. Soonpati Parataneum O'o'o'glacealla

On a species scale, human beings would be roughly the equivalent of a 2 year old baby and yet most humans seem to require "answers" to everything. Existence! The gods of Man are inventions of the mind to help humans feel better and get through their life. In 473,291 years and four months, an answer will be here but like most things in life, it won't be the one thought of by men

March 23, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  9. Dave

what is mind blasting about your country is that there are countless laws in force which the church openly condemns and the government will not change, AND your president just signed into law a great big flip-off to the church, and you guys are concerned the politicians aren't doing enough for you. Even worse, you have the audacity to brand yourselves a suffering minority? Prove to me that God does or doesn't exist, show me how you're suffering and give me one example of your persecution. Pope Silverman has you guys brain washed. For those partaking in the festivities this weekend enjoy your religious convention.
    And for those wondering, this isn't a pro-faithful rant. I am anti-extremists. People who, while they believe they are rational, don't operate with a sane thought in their heads, like those from the West Borough Church. The only difference between this rally and their protests is that one side believes and the other doesn't. Rationality and reason don't exist on either side.

March 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
    • contraryjim

why should one attempt to prove what one doesn't believe exists, your challenge is silly

March 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • RillyKewl

Apple, meet Orange.

March 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • JakeAZ

calm down there fella.

contraryjim is right.

as for "branding ourselves a suffering minority" ...while its true that religious freedom in America has made life a lot easier here for atheists than in many other countries around the globe, pause to think...80% of Americans say they believe in God. i'm sure its been that way since America was founded. All minorites go through some kind of oppression. maybe you don't care because it doesn't happen to you, but having to send my children to a school that teaches creationism is one example.

March 23, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
    • GiveMeABreak

Most Atheists are extreme realists and rationalists. I see nothing wrong with being either extremely real or rational. On the other hand, I do have a problem living in a world where the majority of people are extreme un-realists and non-rationalists, especially when many attempt to force their flawed reason upon all of us.

March 23, 2012 at 7:35 pm |
  10. Jonathan Brouillette

Apostles Creed
    I believe in God, the Father almighty,
    Creator of heaven and earth,
    and in Jesus Christ, his only Son, our Lord,
    who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary,
    suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried;
    he descended into hell; on the third day he rose again from the dead;
    he ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father almighty;
    from there he will come to judge the living and the dead.
    I believe in the Holy Spirit,
    the holy catholic Church,
    the communion of saints,
    the forgiveness of sins,
    the resurrection of the body,
    and life everlasting.
    Amen.

March 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • MrCredik

The operative word is "believe", which is very different than proving, validating, or knowing.

March 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Zeus!

Zeus, on Olympian hight,
      Shining in garments bright,
      Casting thy eyes around,
      Catching each note of sound,
      Zeus! hear my prayer!

Not in an incense cloud,
      Not in words long and loud,
      No gold or silver by
      Shining to catch thine eye,
      Rises my prayer.

Hopeful and strong for strife,
      Sing I my song of life,
      No cringing worshiper,
      Trembling, afraid to stir,
      Pray I to Thee.

Pleasure of earthly power,
      Joys of the pasising hour,
      Breadth and great depth of thought
      With the heart's life blood bought,
      All these I scorn.

Zeus! For the beautiful
      Bend I my knee!
      Zeus! For the truly good
      Bow I to thee!

Oh! let those two clear rays
      Shine on my youthful days,
      Shine like the sun's bright glow,
      Diminishing all lights below;
      Zeus is my prayer.

March 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • me

is zeus love?

March 23, 2012 at 7:24 pm |
    • me

is zeus love? if so, then it's the same as God, just with another name, i can call God "door" and He will continue to be God.

March 23, 2012 at 7:25 pm |
    • LMAO

"if so, then it's the same as God, just with another name, i can call God "door" and He will continue to be God."

So I can call your god Satan and it still will continue to be a god...hmmmm here I thought they were one in the same so now I know I am right by your logic.

March 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • me

@LMAO well the name satan is already taken for another being, but if you want we can call God "satan II", is that ok with you? because I see you and some irrational atheists happen to have a problem with the name "God", who knows why.....

March 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Well, me, what do you call a god who requires you to love him or else?

March 23, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  11. collins61

I wonder how its working out in heavily Muslim Paterson NJ?

March 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • RillyKewl

It was the Hasidim that went nuts. I don't know if the Muslims reacted much.

March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  12. Russell Hammond, Hollywood

If some people are so "Jesus" here, why don't they let this debate go and just turn the other cheek? Oh yeah, I forgot. Christians want a fight. Check history for that one.

March 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Kramer

On the contrary, my friend: It is the JEWS, not Christians, who have been instigating wars, infighting, corruption, and all other forms of evil. By controlling the media outlets which you get your news from, they have convinced you of the opposite, that their mortal enemies, the Christians, are to blame. It really is a shame you've bought their propaganda hook, line, and sinker. I suggest you visit incogman.net for a little "re-education" 🙂

March 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
  13. Scott Fillmer

@jim agreed... any why is this in the "Faith" section anyway, he has no faith, right? Psalm 14:1 says it the best. The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

I expect more out of CNN at this point, common guys.

March 23, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Jim

"common guys"? Is that an insult?

March 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
    • northern light

"Psalm 14:1 says it the best. The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

You can look to your bronze age holy books for yoour gauidance in life .....we non belivers will use our common sense and listen to people like Albert Einstien.. ...Quote:
      "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weakness, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still purely primitive, legends which are nevertheless pretty childish"

March 23, 2012 at 7:19 pm |
    • Jay Gillard

Really, that's odd, I don't see any religious fanatics stalking mr atheist with biblical propaganda in hand. Looks like he's the only one looking for a fight. Wow looks like stupidity is contagious after all..

March 23, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Luminus

Matthew 5:22
      Whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

March 23, 2012 at 7:32 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

What do you expect of CNN, Scott?-condoned the Iraq War. And what do you realistically expect from the Psalms?

March 23, 2012 at 8:02 pm |
  14. Blooper1

Oh, He/They made His/Their appearance quite clear. Look at the crusades, 9/11, Gott mit uns/In God we trust .. (G)god was manmade and well used. Gold for the Saoudis a for the Vatican.Happyness in the aftermath for the people. The perfect answer for those who can't live with death as a natural end for life. Your only life. Your only seconds of living. That is the fear and the controlling factor. Relgions prevent people ot misuse the only seconds they have, unless those seconds can be used by the religions themselves. Does this mean all non-believers are criminals, misusing their seconds for their pleasure, fun and misbehaviour ? No. Rekigious people need that fear of hell to behave well .. Believers: grow up, be responsable, act with comprehension and know that these seconds are the only ones you get to enjoy a fine, reasonable and productive life. Standing before the mirror and saying 'Well done' is a greater challenge than counting the hours of prayer

March 23, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  15. Columbus

There was a time not too long ago when people believed the world was flat. What idiots...

March 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • northern light

And just who was making all the scientific obsevartions at the time ?......the church of course.....when they were not busy with little boys.

March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  16. Coreso

Those who blindly choose to not acknowledge the one and only true God, the Creator of our universe, will understand the real truth the moment they pass on from this dispensation. That will be a sad moment for many. But it will be a joyous occasion for myself and my wife because we have given our lives wholly to the Lord without reservation, and we know for certain where we are going when we pass from this earth... the New Jerusalem! By the way Mr. Silverman, know this, there is no battle here for you to "win", because Jesus Christ already won the battle for us on the cross at Calvary 2000 years ago!
    May God bless you athiests in finding the correct answers during your lifetime.

March 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • LMAO

"Those who blindly choose to not acknowledge the one and only true God, the Creator of our universe, will understand the real truth the moment they pass on from this dispensation. "

Seeing as only 30% of the people on this planet even believe in Christianity then your God is one evil dude if 70% of humanity burns in hell for not acknowledging it. Why would you want to worship such an evil monster, that's worse than Hitler!

March 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Jim

We have the answer, and it doesn't require us to reject all sense of reason as yours does.

March 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm |
    • TonyK

If I knew someone who threatened to punish me for not acknowledging them, I would think that person was small and mean and inconsequential.

If there is a god S/he is infinite love, beyond the kind of exclusion and sadness that masquerades as faith for you and all who presume to know how God judges people. This is not faith, it is arrogance, presumption, and pride.

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • LAKE OF FIRE

Everybody jump in, the temp is fine.

March 23, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
    • j

Ahh yes, Jesus Christ won that battle. Where god had to sacrifice himself to himself to atone for his own screw-up in creating a horribly flawed human race.

But it wasn't much of a 'sacrifice' if he just went to heaven, was it? And if he was god and son of god, he'd have known everything beforehand, so he wasn't even very brave in 'sacrificing' himself.

All in all, as far as deity myths go, I'll give it a 4/10. Imaginative and convoluted, but it borrows too heavily from other deity myths of the time.

March 23, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • northern light

"That will be a sad moment for many. But it will be a joyous occasion for myself and my wife because we have given our lives wholly to the Lord without reservation, and we know for certain where we are going when we pass from this earth"

Little excerise for you Coresco.

Tell me if you can, without quoting a holy book or making reference to anything said by a pastor or preacher or referencing anyhting religious.........." how you know for sure" that the world will end the way you think it will.

What you see around you right now Coresco ........is all there is.......so enjoy it while you are still with us.....put down the book you use every Sunday and go play golf.

March 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Filet

@LMAO
      The difference must be articulated in the belief that God is holy, and the idea that a holy God would be in the presence of sin (literally translated as "falling short" from Greek, and all of mankind would fit this definition, as no man is holy) is not sustainable at its core. Therefore, a holy God is entirely justified in saving none. What is it to you then in He choses to save some?

March 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

But Coreso, what if you picked the wrong one of the thousands of gods man has created?

March 23, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
  17. SoWhat

So, I guess David wasn't "created" he was dropped off on this planet by another atheist!

March 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • RillyKewl

Nope he was born. Just like everybody else. Thats the beauty of natural processes. We can reproduce with or without invented Magicians, nor Flying Spaghetti Monsters.

March 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • me

@RillyKewl oh give it a rest dumb dumb, the big bang was dropped by some advanced alien race, period..

March 23, 2012 at 7:22 pm |
    • RillyKewl

Sorry? The big bang was what now?

March 23, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • me

@RillyKewl causality sweety, you have non to rationally explain the big bang, and you never will, supernatural caused natural, period

March 23, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Say, me, try studying some physics.

March 23, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
  18. Redemption23

Lucentsky......... Your logic does nothing to answer the question of origin. This "process" you speak of had a beginning. Cause and effect my friend. Secondly, being born with a basic notion of right and wrong is incomplete. There needs to be a standard for this notion. It cannot be us as human beings because each of us are different, therefore our thoughts on right and wrong will vary. The standard for right and wrong has to be objective, immaterial and universal. I choose God, what do you choose? God Bless.

March 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm |
    • RillyKewl

Sperm, meet egg. It works the same way for all mammals, whether you believe it or not.

March 23, 2012 at 7:14 pm |
  19. Jim

This is the most disgusting, biased piece of "journalistic" crap I have seen in some time. Even the lowlife dullards of CNN should be ashamed of this one!

March 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • RillyKewl

This is a blog, Jim. Why don't you chill out? Maybe a day at the rally will help. Its gonna be nice out.

March 23, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  20. Fabjan

When grandma told the family that her deceased husband had visited her the night before, and told her that he would come for her in seven days to take her to heaven, everyone thought she was nuts. But she was the most sane person in the family. She quietly passed away in bed on the eve of the seventh day, holding her arms out to an unseen person across the room, quietly calling grandpa's name. Everyone knew she was telling the truth. A real spiritual experience was witnessed by all that night. There's no doubt now that God exists.

March 23, 2012 at 7:07 pm |
    • Jim

Wow, are you gullible!! Is there anything you DON'T believe?

March 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • MrCredik

What you describe, even if true, only proves that your grandfather existed in an afterlife nothing else.

March 23, 2012 at 7:17 pm |
    • RillyKewl

A) Is that a true story of yours? From your family?
      B) How does that prove there's a god? Does Grampa become god in this scenerio?

March 23, 2012 at 7:18 pm |
    • Robert

A similar thing happened to a family I know in Logan, Utah. The wife was as spry as a spring chicken. She said her dead husband had appeared to her the night before and was going to come for her again on Thursday (four days out). She went and had her utilities turned off the next day. She closed her bank account and paid off all her bills. She then went and selected a casket at the local funeral home, and paid for everything upfront. She then went to her daughter's house to stay, and when she went to bed Thursday night she never woke up again. How do we explain these things if God does not exist?

March 23, 2012 at 7:20 pm |
    • James

I don't know if my experience counts or not. The birth of our sixth child was an unforgettable experience. As I gazed on this beautiful, new daughter in the nursery just moments after her birth, I distinctly heard an audible voice declare, ‘There will yet be another, and it will be a boy.’ I looked around but there was no one in the hall but me. Unwisely, I rushed back to the bedside of my absolutely exhausted wife and told her the good news. It was very bad timing on my part. Year after year we anticipated the arrival of our seventh child. Three, four, five, six, seven years passed. Finally, after eight years, our seventh child was born—a little boy. So yeah, I really do believe angels exist. And how can there be angels without God?

March 23, 2012 at 7:33 pm |
    • David in Cincinnati

Robert, if you make an effort, I think you will be able to come up with multiple explanations.

March 23, 2012 at 8:11 pm |