home
RSS
At Easter breakfast, Obama talks faith in face of doubt
President Obama bows his head during Wednesday's prayer breakfast.
April 4th, 2012

At Easter breakfast, Obama talks faith in face of doubt

By Dan Gilgoff, CNN.com Religion Editor

Washington (CNN) - Facing a re-election bid and contending with a bitterly partisan Congress, President Obama spoke Wednesday at a White House Easter prayer breakfast about keeping faith in the face of doubt.

“I am not going to stand up here and give a sermon,” Obama said in the East Room of the White House, addressing an audience thick with Christian leaders. “It’s always a bad idea to give a sermon in front of professionals.”

But Obama proceeded to deliver a minisermon that centered on Jesus’ experience in the Garden of Gethsemane, where Christ expressed doubt and anguish on the eve of his crucifixion, appealing to God for a reprieve.

Obama said that Easter is an opportunity to appreciate “all that Christ endured - not just as a son of God, but as a human being,” according to a White House transcript.

“It is only because Jesus conquered his own anguish, conquered his fear, that we’re able to celebrate the resurrection,” Obama said.

“We all have experiences that shake our faith,” Obama said later. “There are times where we have questions for God’s plan relative to us, but that’s precisely when we should remember Christ’s own doubts and eventually his own triumph.”

Good Friday, the Friday before Easter, commemorates Jesus' crucifixion, and Easter, which falls this Sunday, marks his resurrection.

The pastors invited to the White House event include Joel Hunter, an evangelical from Florida; Roman Catholic Cardinal Donald Wuerl, who leads the Archdiocese of Washington; and Leith Anderson, president of the National Association of Evangelicals.

- CNN Belief Blog Co-Editor

Filed under: Barack Obama • Easter • Politics

1. Steve

Why is there a breakfast celebrating a Catholic religious holiday in the White House? If you want to have Easter breakfast, have it in a church and get religion out of American politics.

April 4, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
    • Double R

Easter is not a Catholic religious holiday. It's a Christian celebration of the resurrection of Jesus.

April 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • 1twinsfan

Easter is not limited to just Catholics.

April 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

Bunnies, painted eggs etc. are the last vestiges of the pagan celebrations against which Christianiry competed in its early days.
      Cybele, the Phrygian fertility goddess, had a consort, Attis, who was believed to have been born via a virgin birth. Attis was believed to have died and been resurrected each year during a three day period at the end of March.
      Sound familiar?
      Well before Easter was associated with the zombification of your deity, it was a widely celebrated pagan holiday marking the rebirth and renewal of spring. The very word "Easter" comes from the Saxon goddess Eastre and the Teutonic dawn goddess of fertility, Eastra.

April 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
    • William Demuth

Have it at Walmart. They run the damn thing!

April 4, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • Bill

Why stop at Easter. Open the doors and allow for other celebration breakfasts in the White House. What are you afraid of? President Obama is a good man with a good heart. I say, open the doors for others to celebrate.

April 4, 2012 at 2:12 pm |

Bill

Sacrifices in the Green room?

Crosses burning on the lawn?

Becareful what "worship" you allow, cause Jeebus does attract wackos!

April 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm |

@ Doc:

Easter comes from the Hebrew word Pesaḥ, which relates to Passover. The celebration of Passover was created by Moses in celebration of the Lord "passing over" the houses that had the blood of the lamb on their doorframes, thereby giving life to the firstborn sons of Egypt. That same event was representative of Jesus, the Lamb of God, shedding his blood to give life to those who believe in him. So that we may become children of God and co-heirs of the Kingdom of Heaven. Jews today still celebrate the passover, but Christians, who believe Jesus was the Messiah, celebrate Easter to commemerate not only the resurrection of our Lord Jesus, but also him giving us life by the shedding of his blood.

April 4, 2012 at 3:16 pm |
    • Doc Vestibule

So you believe that the striking similarities in content, theme and name from religions that pre-date the judeo christian ones and against which Christianity competed for followers in its early days is purely coincidental?
      Do you know why December 25th was decided as Christ's birthday?

April 4, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
  2. Guess What

we the true christain remain faithfull even if our so called wanna be leader is a christian basher, obama is no better than a woman beater

April 4, 2012 at 1:20 pm |
    • momoya

"And the daughter of any priest, if she profane herself by playing the who.re, she profaneth her father: she shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)
      "When men strive together one with another, and the wife of the one draweth near for to deliver her husband out of the hand of him that smiteth him, and putteth forth her hand, and taketh him by the secrets: then thou shalt cut off her hand, thine eye shall not pity her." (Deuteronomy 25:11-12)
      l"If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, and a man find her in the city, and lie with her;" (Deuteronomy 22:22)
      "Then ye shall bring them both out unto the gate of that city, and ye shall stone them with stones that they die; the damsel, because she cried not, being in the city; and the man, because he hath humbled his neighbour's wife: so thou shalt put away evil from among you." (Deuteronomy 22:24)

"If a man find a damsel that is a virgin, which is not betrothed, and lay hold on her, and lie with her, and they be found; Then the man that lay with her shall give unto the damsel's father fifty shekels of silvers, and she shall be his wife; because he hath humbled her, he may not put her away all his days." (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)

"Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee." (Genesis 3:16)
      "Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." (Hosea 13:16)
      "Give me any plague, but the plague of the heart: and any wickedness, but the wickedness of a woman." (Eccles. 25:13)

"Of the woman came the beginning of sin, and through her we all die." (Eccles. 25:22)

"If she go not as thou wouldest have her, cut her off from thy flesh, and give her a bill of divorce, and let her go." (Eccles. 25: 26)

"The who.redom of a woman may be known in her haughty looks and eyelids. If thy daughter be shameless, keep her in straitly, lest she abuse herself through overmuch liberty." (Eccles. 26:9-10)

"A silent and loving woman is a gift of the Lord: and there is nothing so much worth as a mind well instructed. A shamefaced and faithful woman is a double grace, and her continent mind cannot be valued." (Eccles. 26:14-15)

"A shameless woman shall be counted as a dog; but she that is shamefaced will fear the Lord." (Eccles.26:25)

"For from garments cometh a moth, and from women wickedness. Better is the churlishness of a man than a courteous woman, a woman, I say, which bringeth shame and reproach." (Eccles. 42:13-14)

April 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm |
    • Dave

Well THAT'S a mighty Christian thought process.....

April 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
    • Fallacy Spotting 101

Root post by 'Guess what' is an instance of the No True Scotsmen fallacy.

April 4, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • Tom

Dear Guess What. Who appointed you to sit in judgement of others? You call yourself a Christian so is your president. He doesn't judge you. Why judge him? Jesus was very clear in his teachings that we are not to judge one another.

April 4, 2012 at 2:10 pm |
  3. FreeThinker

It's funny how conservatives and atheist both think that President Obama is just pandering when he talks about his PERSONAL relationship with God. There is always a prayer meeting and a Easter egg hunt at the White House for Easter. It's appropriate for the president to speak about his faith whenever he wants to, but especially at an event like this. Christians are challenged to be Christ like and that is not JUDGING (is a sin.. to all radical right wing "Christians" ) someone and telling them that they will go to hell if they don't live by YOUR standards. That is God's job. Or to say that he is a fool for having faith, because there is no God according to YOUR beliefs (yes atheist, atheism is a belief system). The POTUS is a Christian by faith, not because he grew into a habit of going to church every Sunday as a kid. STOP with all the close mindedness!

April 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • momoya

As an atheist, I don't think he is JUST pandering; I think he is mostly pandering.. I still believe that he believes he has a personal relationship with christ.. You can pander to a group while simultaneously agreeing with much of the beliefs of that group.

April 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm |
    • FreeThinker

I would say that he is Pandering if he was randomly bringing up Jesus after a barrage of "Obama the Muslim" ad's hit the air waves. But he was simply talking about the way Easter and the story of Jesus' crucifixion affects his faith personally... just 2 days before good Friday and 4 before Easter. Yes he is a politician, and yes talking about Jesus in any way shape or form might ease the stress of some random Independent, but its a bit of a stretch to say that he only makes statements about his faith simply to pander.

April 4, 2012 at 1:51 pm |
  4. JA

just made the first comment on the first article of the religion blog. NO, I win. haha i had to go back 284 pages though (the easy way of course)

April 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  5. FreeThinker

April 4, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • William Demuth

Having lied about believing for half a century, I can assure you it is QUITE common.

If he is an athiest, and admited it, he would not be president.

Do you have any clue how quick I can put on the Biblical scholar getup to con the pants of some Christian chick?

I learned it from the pastors on TV, and you would be amazed how gullible red necks are!

April 4, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • OOO

@free,
      Have you heard of the famous saying:
      "Everything's political" ?

April 4, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  6. Voice of Reason

TAX THE CHURCHES AND KEEP YOUR RELIGIONS AND GOD AWAY FROM OUR CHILDREN AND OUR GOVERNMENT.

April 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  7. Sarita

I love what Obama said here....we can all take heart to remember the example of one who conquered his own fears, his own anguish...that all of us have these experiences which shake our faith and it's in remembering the examples of those who triumphed, particularly the perfect example of Jesus Christ's triumph over death, that we too can conquer & succeed. So glad to read something positive and uplifting related to politics today, what a refreshing change !

April 4, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • William Demuth

So now Jeebus was cool because he stayed cool knowing he was gonna have his corpse reanimated?

You guys spouts so much double speak it is laughable.

I suggest you get your dogma trained, he just shat on your rug

April 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Double R

@ Saraita: Hey, that's what I said.

April 4, 2012 at 1:42 pm |
  8. Noigiler

I have no issue at all with Obama professing his faith, even though I don't share his beliefs. Where he distinguishes himself from the Republican candidates is in avoiding the imposition of his faith on others.

April 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm |

Well said.

April 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
    • Bill

And yet too many Republicans are more than willing to crucify president Obama.

April 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm |
  9. Double R

I love what the President says here, “There are times where we have questions for God’s plan relative to us, but that’s precisely when we should remember Christ’s own doubts and eventually his own triumph.” Not just his doubts and eventual triumph, but the pain and suffering he endured in between his arrest at Gethsemane and his resurrection. We could never in a million years endure let alone imagine the suffering he endured at the hands of the Romans. One of my favorite Hip-Hop artists, Theory Hazit, has a great line that describes it; "Haters mocked him, spit on him, then killed him. After three days he rose and defeated the villians." The villian was death. Nothing was going to stop God's promise from occuring. In times where we doubt and wonder "why is this happening to me," we must remember that God's promise is bigger and stronger than anything we may be going through at the moment. Jesus doubted for a minute and asked the Father to "take this cup from me." But he also trusted and said, "Thy will be done." And at that very moment and angel appeared and strengthened him. If we trust in the Father, the Son will strengthen us through the power of the Holy Spirit. Blessed be the Trinity.

April 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • William Demuth

You do understand its a fable right?

Angels, reanimated corpses?

Get a grip, your indoctrination is showing. BO is just conning the Jeebus freaks

April 4, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
    • Double R

@ William: Jesus had amazing strength and compassion for the ignorance that others exibited in the face of his divinity. Even as he healed others in the very face of those who doubted him, they still feared him and sought to kill him. Historically, it has been proved by secular and non-secular historians alike that Jesus did exist and was indeed crucified as it was written in the scriptures. So through Jesus' example, and in the face of those who doubt his exisitence and divinity, I too am able to have compassion for all who say, "It's just a fable." As most say my faith is just my opinion, I too say your doubt is just yours.

April 4, 2012 at 1:21 pm |

Double R

You remind me of a child with an invisible friend.

Some say its healthy, most say its harmless, but 99 percent would agree that if it continues into adulthood it is a sign of a mental deficiency

It is time for you to grow up and percieve the world with rational eyes.

April 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Double R

@ William: My eyes are more rational than you will ever know or understand. My so-called "Invisible friend" is very visible to me and my family. He is very present in our every day lives and reminds us that there are doubters like you in this world that seek to destroy his name and convince others that he's nothing more than a myth. Those whose thoughts are guided and distorted by satan's grip on this world. My visible friend encourages me to be an example of his glory. He reminds me of the persucution he faced, and that a person who doubts is nothing more than a blind man who needs healing.

April 4, 2012 at 1:53 pm |

Double R

So now you poison your kids minds as well?

Let the sickness die with you, only a selfish person forces his illness upon his children.

Your system of belief shall fail, and your God shall be exposed as a fraud, just as the thousands of other bogus Gods have been.

History teaches us that even the most indoctrinated can not protect their delusion from the movement of time.

April 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
    • closet atheist

This conversation is disturbing. It makes me ill that my 4 year old daughter is being taught this jibberish (in catholic form) at her mother's house. I will be very disappointed if she turns out like Double R. Don't get me wrong, I'll love and support her, as she's my daughter... but it will be disappointing no less.

April 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm |

William

"and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." (2 Tim 3:15) Teaching my children about Christ is not poisining them. I'm setting them up for a life of promise and hope in such a dark and deparved world. In a world that chooses not to see, they have witnessed the grace and mercy of God in their own family, through the strengthening of their parent's marriage in the face of sin. God is very real! And I pray that one day you will seek him and find out how real he really is.

April 4, 2012 at 2:41 pm |

Double R

Lets see if you spout that nonesense when one of the men of God bugger your son or defraud your mother.

If you have to be in a cult, at least take control of it and stop being a sheep.

April 4, 2012 at 2:45 pm |

@ Atheist:

You may be disappointed, but God will love and keep her. I pray your daughter strengthens her faith as she grows and becomes and example in your life. The daughter who teaches the father. Though I don't agree with most Catholic Doctrine, if she gives her life to Christ than she will be truly blessed, and she will bless you in turn.

April 4, 2012 at 2:47 pm |

@ William

I don't believe in man, I believe in God. A "man of God" who "buggers" my son or defrauds my mother is truly not a man of God. He is ruled by satan. And he will feel God's wrath in the time of Judgement. So to answer your question, yes, I will still spout the word of God, and I will pray for that man's soul because nothing that I could do to him will ever compare to how God will judge him. My human side would want to beat that man into oblivian. But I live by Christ's example, because even on the cross he begged his Father to forgive those who crucified him. And instead of focusing my wrath on a man, I will focus my love towards my son/mother.

April 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm |

Double R

What lies! Somehow your belief is an indication of self doubt.

You are a sinner and you want forgivness, because you know what you have done is wrong.

By referencing your human side, you indicate you have an in human one, and based on your rhetoric, I suspect that inhuman side scares you, because of what YOU have done.

As a wolf in the fold you are.

April 4, 2012 at 3:07 pm |

William

We are all sinners. We sin every day, sometimes in little ways, other times in big ways. There's only ever been one person who is sinless, Jesus. And even his human side scared him, which is what the President referred to in his story. Jesus prayed to his father to take this burden off of his shoulders, but then realized that it was the will of the father, and his will must be completed. By recognizing my human side, I recognize that I sin as we all do. I sin, you sin, closet Atheist sins, we all sin. Priest and pastors sins, why? Because we are human and we are not perfect. You call me a liar? Who's lying really? How can you be so sure?

April 4, 2012 at 3:51 pm |

Double R

Your sins drive you to recruit me.

I do not sin.

I have no original sin.

Period.

April 4, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Yoda

that is why you fail, william

April 4, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
  10. Colin

Soundbite – "have faith in the face of doubt."

Interpretation – reject all facts that suggest your belief is not true and concentrate only on those facts that support your belief.

If one adopts this approcah, oone will always believe, but must accept that what they "believe" is nothing more than a wish or hope. Most believers more "wish" or "hope" for a god than they truly believe in a god.

April 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • alex chapman

One can reject the existence of a Creator, be He called God, Yahweh or Allah, only if one can close their eyes to the perfect symmetry to which this planet Earth & the Solar System seems to operate. All by chance ? THAT'S hard to accept.

April 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • Noigiler

Alex, stop being so intellectually lazy. Pick up a science book and read.

April 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • plucky

Alex,
      Yes, science is hard. Since you choose not to partake in it, leave it to the rest of us. Maybe we'll see you in the 21st century some time?

April 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
    • Colin

Alex, how is "god" even an answer to your self created dilemma? If you kick the can down the road and lazily posit "God" as the answer then the exact same questions immediately return. How could conditions be so perfect that God exists. Did he have a god that created him?

No, Alex “God” is not an answer to anything. It is simply putting a difficult question out of reach to be comfortable. It is putting a halo on a question mark and walking away from the challenge

April 4, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • alex chapman

I love science. I t attempts to explain the very complex HOW of our world. It doesn't explain the mysterious WHY. I believe a Creator started the whole thing using evolution as the means to get us where we are. The parts were all put in place but the plan of it all coming together as perfect as it is are about equal to a car junk yard exploding, like Big Bang, and ending up with a shiny, purring Cadillac.

April 4, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  11. Jerry

Can't this hypocritical/divisive president ever stop lying through his teeth?! He must be real desperate while his reelection chances look more and more dubious with every passing day.

If he had stopped all the lying and threats 3 years ago; he would probably be a "shoe in" for reelection. However, at this stage it's TOO LITLE TOO LATE.

Even if he's able to "hoodwink" ALL the women across America. Voters of all stripes are awaking and no longer ingesting the president's spiked KOOL AID.

April 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • alex chapman

"You don't know me because you don't know the Father"John 8,19. Those who recognize the divinity of the Father in each & every human, truly know the Father.

April 4, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • PushingBack

I think it's clear who's been drinking the Kool-Aid.

April 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • William Demuth

Methinks you have too much right wing radio rattiling your brain.

Who wins we don't know, but to claim BO is moving away from re-election is partisan silliness,

No politicaly aware human would believe that.

April 4, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Tom

Dear Jerry. Who taught you to hate so much? Why do you allow hatred to put you into judgement of another man's relationship with God?

April 4, 2012 at 2:04 pm |
  12. Laverne

The Obama's are blessed know matter what his haters say!

April 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • The Taught Police

To know one is for no one. Whose who's are you hewing into hues? There are two tu's to your tutu too. It's time for its correct usage.

April 4, 2012 at 1:39 pm |
  13. carrie

Judge that you be not judged....by the same measure you judge others , you also will be judged. This means all of us , the GOP does not get a pass.

April 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • alex chapman

"Forgive our trespasses AS we forgive those whom we trespass against": The Lord's Prayer to the Heavenly Father.

April 4, 2012 at 12:48 pm |
    • Tom

Do unto others as you would have them do to you. We are our brother's keeper. Health Care for everyone.

April 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
  14. Emmy Skaddittle

what? he didn't read from the Koran?!?

April 4, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Primewonk

Why would he read from the Quran?

This was an EASTER breakfast, and President Obama is a CHRISTIAN.

Or are you just trying to show how ignorant you birther teabaggers can be?

April 4, 2012 at 12:43 pm |

Primewonk

Why would he read from the Quran?

I wish he would. Work the right into a frenzy.

April 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Tom

Emma. The president is a Christian. One quality of being a Christian is being open minded. Have you read the Koran? Are you willing to do so? How open minded are you?

April 4, 2012 at 2:01 pm |
  15. alex chapman

Is Obama, or anyone a Christian ? What does Jesus Christ, the purported founder of that Faith say ? In the Four Gospels, Jesus speaks words & lives a life devoted to ONE Commandment:Love one another as I have loved you. John 15,12. He didn't say it would be easy but he did say that if we do this we would find the Kingdom of God both here on Earth & in the next life.

April 4, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • momoya

"Real christianity" would require an indwelling of the Holy Spirit, and since the Holy Spirit does not exist, there are no "true christians," but merely those who believe they are so.

April 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • a person of the Name

Oh momaya, I would have to disagree with you on this one. The Holy Spirit is very real. I find it though its hard to believe before it happens to you.

April 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • OOO

@Name,
      If it is real, it must be real for me as well, agreed?
      So you are making a statement about the world ALL of us live in.
      Therefore you should be able to objectively proove that it is here, with some testable mechanism. Otherwise (sorry to say) it is not real.

There is no such thing as "real only for me".

April 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • a person of the Name

It is real for all those who seek him.
      The proof you seek, you will never find until its too late.

April 4, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
    • Double R

@ a person of the Name; You hit that nail right on its head. The power of the Holy Spirit is there for all who call on him. But if you don't seek to know the Lord, you will never meet him, in this life or the next.

April 4, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
    • momoya

I was a christian for nearly 50 years, and I sincerely believed in the Holy Spirit and his indwelling.. Turns out, it was only confirmation bias and psychological buttressing.

April 4, 2012 at 1:12 pm |
    • Yo!

"You hit that nail right on its head. The power of the Holy Spirit is there for all who call on him. But if you don't seek to know the Lord, you will never meet him, in this life or the next."

They don't exist so it's a waste of time.

April 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • just sayin

momoya was never a Christian.

April 4, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Tom

I like your definition of Christian. Obama fits your definition and is a Christian.

April 4, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  16. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things

April 4, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • plucky

Good, you got that out of your system now?

April 4, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • just sayin

When all America unites as one nation under God we will regain our national dignity and honor. Prayer will get us there . God bless

April 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • Jesus

Prayer doesn’t not; you are so full of crap and lies. You have NO proof it changes anything! A great example of prayer proven not to work is the Christians in jail because prayer didn't work and their children died. For example: Susan Grady, who relied on prayer to heal her son. Nine-year-old Aaron Grady died and Susan Grady was arrested.

The statistical studies from the nineteenth century and the three CCU studies on prayer are quite consistent with the fact that humanity is wasting a huge amount of time on a procedure that simply doesn’t work. Nonetheless, faith in prayer is so pervasive and deeply rooted, you can be sure believers will continue to devise future studies in a desperate effort to confirm their beliefs! . .

April 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm |

just sayin

Better than we burn in radioactive rubble.

I suggest you review Milton!

April 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • YeahRight

"When all America unites as one nation under God we will regain our national dignity and honor"

Yeah that's why the Christians that came here slaughtered over 50 million Indians that's some real dignity and honor to be proud of ....NOT! In case you"re a bit slow....they just recently updated that number.

April 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • just sayin

@yeah right?
      That has got to be the most convoluted reply that anyone could ever come up with. Why not blame the Johnstown flood or the burning of Rome on Christians as well? Do you read what you post or are you going for moron of the year? God bless

April 4, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • OOO

just sayin,
      you call someone "moron of the year" followed by "god bless" ????? You hoping the "god bless" will sound good to god and he will forgive your moron comment?

April 4, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • just sayin

I already am forgiven by God. There is no sin in Truth anyway. God bless

April 4, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • momoya

@ just sayin

Once again, you need to do your research on Manifest Destiny and the gleeful slaughter of innocents by which the christians got their lands.. The idea that Native Americans were not humans with souls was so prevalent that the few missionaries that preached to the Indians were considered crazy.

April 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • OOO

just sayin,
      Well, I actually pray and talk to god. And he said that you are in trouble. You need to say 300 "Hail Mary's" and 200 "Our Father's" to erase the "moron" comment.

April 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • Double R

I'm going to have to agree with OOO on that one.

April 4, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • YeahOk

Things prayer changes.... Nothing.

April 4, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • just sayin

Forgiveness is not based on works but on the sacrifice Christ gave of Himself on the cross. Besides as you have already been told there is no sin in the Truth. God bless

April 4, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
    • OOO

@just sayin,
      You have already been told that I talk directly to god. Start saying your pennance.

April 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • jim

April 4, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • YeahOk

Don't know why American Christians are so afraid of the atheists, we're far outnumbered, and given how well your prayers work, the state of America should be exactly everything you prayed for.

April 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • OOO

@jim,
      Your vote was canceled out by Double R. god bless

April 4, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • Yo!

"im gonna have to give the win to just sayin today. You atheists are losing your stuff. Just sayin is pwning you."

Based on all your posts and your poor spelling your are probably one and the same since you use so many different handles.

April 4, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • OOO

@ just sayin or jim or whatever...
      I just talked to god again. He said that the thiests are really losing badly today. He said that if you don't start behaving better and arguing more rationally on his behalf, he is going to smite you and get someone else on this blog that can do a better job!

Oh,
      and he wanted me to remind you that he hasn't heard your pennance yet for that earlier "moron" comment. Better get to work!

April 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
    • Jim Hahn

Prayer may change your mind, but it doesn't affect anything else.

April 4, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
  17. Jo

I always gain strength from 0bama!!!

April 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Maggie

As do I.

April 4, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Tom

me too.

April 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm |
  18. Larry L

I suspect the "birthers" and the rest of the "good Christian" hate club will have a lot of negative comments. I saw one of the articles last week where the underluying question was "would Jesus support Obamacare" or more to the point – would the teachings of Jesus more closely allign with modern Republican or Democrat values? I was amused to hear the conservatives tap-dance around that issue. It takes real brainwashing to believe that Jesus Christ could support the fat-cats who now control the GOP or the hateful group that has never given the President a chance because of the color of his skin.

April 4, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • William Demuth

Being as white as one can be, it pains me to say you are correct.

Frankly I am afraid if war with Iran comes, the right would rather lose it than let Obama have a victory.

April 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • GodsPeople

Okay so anyone who insults a white president is "a political intellectual" but anyone who insults o–b–o–n-g–o is filled with hate. More white guilt on the way. Anyone want a white guilt sandwich?

I do not approve of Obama. I didn't approve of either Bush or Clinton. While I was alive during the Reagan years, I wasn't old enough to "get it," but looking back... I don't approve of Reagan either. Last president I approve of is JFK.

April 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm |
    • William Demuth

Presidents are merely a battle of two lesser evils.

Obama was better than the alternative.

I won't vote for anyone who believes in Sky Fairies, so for me its a spectator sport. I just adjust based on conditions on the ground.

Truth is the game is rigged and designed to pit groups against each other.

That is why I try to hate everyone equally.

April 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm |
    • GodsPeople

I will of course vote for whoever I believe is the better liar. Meaning, of course, that they can con the most people. Right now, Obama is conning the most because he has them believing he's really a citizen. I can't get past the idea of him not being a citizen. He's a Kenyan by birth, so I CAN'T vote for him any more than I could for, say, Dolph Lundgren or Arnold Schwartzeneggar.

April 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm |
    • Tom

Larry,
      Well stated. You see it clearly.

April 4, 2012 at 1:56 pm |

GodsPeople

See, there you go again. Somebody is giving you super kool aid. Beliefs like that are a paranoid reaction.

If you had a master plan to con the US that has lasted 30 years, why pick a Kenyan?

We have PLENTY of liberal blacks in the US.

Hell, they could have run Al Sharpton!

April 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@William: No, I just look at facts. There's no "kool-aid" involved. Problem is you don't seem to know how to escape race treason.

If I had a master plan to screw the white people, I'd do exactly what ZOG has... find the most stupid individual I could who wasn't white (but had white ancestry to make him more popular to "liberalized" ie. brainwashed whites..) I'd get him in power and feed his teleprompter with all sorts of nonsense to spew to the "liberalized" (ie. brainwashed) masses to make him look so great, and once he's nice and under control, use him to forment more and more discord against the white people than anyone else ever has.

Personally, I honestly believe ZOG is doing everything by the book of manipulation. Stupidest person they could find who could appeal to every minority as well as the brainwashed sector of whites.. check. Put him in power, check. Start removing personal freedoms en masse.. check. Fake up some birth records and continually drone over the MSM that they're valid when they're fake.. check.

April 4, 2012 at 2:27 pm |

GodsPeople

ZOG?

You're right on the brink of sliding into a mental abyss. What next, The Elder Scrolls?

Do you even actually know anyone who is Jewish?

April 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@William: The "protocals" are fake, and the Zionists (ZOG) are utilizing them as their "bible" per say. Yes, I know many good Jews. I'm married to one. Her family are mainly good people, farmers and such. My left eye was repaired by a Jewish surgeon. I don't hate "jews" just Zionists.

April 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm |

GodsPeople

I have no love for Zionisim, but you give then more power than they are due.

They can barely keep from being over run.

Just tread lightly with the Aryan propoganda.

You see I was mixing ANFO before you were born, and I could make silencers and convert 12ga shells into land mines with just a trip to the hardware store. Napalm formulas, modified trigger sears, and home made poisons were a passion for a quarter of a century.

Becareful the road you walk, at some point you can no longer turn around.

April 4, 2012 at 3:14 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@William: You don't get it. White nationalism doesn't approve violence, only seperatism. Seperatism actually prevents violence, because then you no longer are forced to be around those who would do violence to you, or those you are uncomfortable being around. We are not the KKK or the Skinheads, thanks. We highly disapprove of those organizations BECAUSE they're stupid and violent. Personally, I think ZOG runs both, as nobody has done as good a job making whites look bad as them.

April 4, 2012 at 3:20 pm |

GodsPeople

You are a child.

Wait till you see your first corpse in your White Nationalism effort.

They lust for blood, and they will have it.

April 4, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • GodsPeople

@William: I don't know of one white nationalist that demands blood. We just demand to be seperated from non-whites. That's our RIGHT and isn't a lot to ask. We want to secure a future for white children. We do not want to run out and shoot/blow up random people. We will defend ourselves and our families, but that is as far as it goes.

April 4, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
  19. OOO

momoya,
    That was my initial thought as well. Basically because what would happen if he said anything different?

April 4, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  20. momoya

Necessary pandering, I guess?

April 4, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • William Demuth

He could isssue a Fahtwa against them instead.

Could you imagine the headlines?

Limbaugh would blow a gasket!

April 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • just sayin

Obama is a Christian man. How is practicing your faith pandering. All the presidents have been men of faith. It was President George H W Bush who said an atheist is not a patriot and should not be a citizen of America. We are one nation under God.Teddy Roosevelt said thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education. From George Washington to Obama we have been led by God fearing men of prayer.

April 4, 2012 at 12:10 pm |

just sayin

Nixon and Clinton?

HAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Obama dosen't believe a word of it, he just needs to con enough rednecks to get re-ellected and then Jeebus goes out with the bath water.

April 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • J.W

April 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • just sayin

Nixon was a Quaker and Clinton was and is a Baptist. Christians are not perfect, just forgiven. God does not categorize sin like you do, it is either covered by what Christ did on the cross or it is not. Accepting Jesus as your savior covers all sins past, present or future. Rejecting Christ and you are responsible before God for all your sins. Nixon for all his failings would be accepted as a Christian by God based on Nixon's acceptance of Christ as his savior. You who reject Christ may have less failings than say Nixon, but are unacceptable to God because you have rejected Christ. When you reject Christ you reject the price Jesus paid which was the debt you owe God for all your sins. Jesus paid it all, you have said you reject Him. Your eternal fate is now in your own hands. You have essentially told God you would rather be cast into hell with the demons than spend eternity with Him. God bless

April 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm |

just sayin

Nixon was forgiven? HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

April 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • just sayin

Your problem is not that Nixon may be forgiven .Your problem is that you are not forgiven. God bless

April 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • YeahRight

"Your problem is that you are not forgiven"

Your god condemns this kind of talk, it's so funny you don't even know your own rule book.

April 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
    • jim

Just saying 2-Atheists 0.......PWNED !

April 4, 2012 at 1:04 pm |

just sayin

A gentleman named Baba said it best.

Out here in the fields, I fought for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight, To prove I'm right, and I don't need to be forgiven.

April 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • Jonathan

@J.W.

"I don't think we really know what other people believe in their heart. We should just take their word for it."

Problem with that is people lie. And bad (read evil) people lie even more. I prefer to watch a person's actions and see how it compares to their speech before I judge whether someone is trustworthy or not. The bible says you will know them by their fruits.

April 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm |