home
RSS
Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers
Jesus depicted healing a sick child.
April 8th, 2012

Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers

Our story on a small cadre of authors challenging the existence of Jesus Christ drew almost 5,000 comments on Easter Sunday, with some upset that we did the story, others objecting to its publication on Easter, and plenty of others defending the article and the run date and debating the merits and implications of the debate.

Of course, most comments had nothing to do with our story, revolving instead around the debate about legitimacy of religion itself.

A sampling of the criticism:

Easter on CNN

You've gone too far.

While I am an advocate of spiritual exploration – by atheists to disprove or by the faithful to validate – running an article questioning the very core of a religious belief system on a holy day is indelicate, to say the least. Will you question that Muhammad received the word of God, running similar articles during Ramadan? Or on Yom Kippur, draw on conjecture to argue that the Book of Life is for fools?

This is not journalism. This sensationalist pander.

edeveryday

I would like to see if CNN would dare run a story saying that Muhammad was a "myth" on the Muslim' s holiest holidays and that Abraham was a "myth" on the Jewish holidays. Go ahead CNN and give it a try and see what happens.

rbsrs

Every Easter?...I mean why a negative story every Easter?? It has become a running joke.

ANGRY AT CNN!!!

CNN: IF YOU READ THIS GO TO HELL FOR YOUR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIGOTRY THIS EASTER SUNDAY!!!!

Many other readers took aim at the critics:

JHC

To those who are insulted by this article,

If your faith is so weak that it cannot stand up to being looked at from an objective, historical, evidence based perspective, then this article is the least of your problems.

nomdefaitour

It is ironic that so many christians are "offended" at a dialogue about religion sponsored by CNN instead of greeting the opportunity to express their views. Perhaps they are shamed that we all know they are surfing the web when they should be worshipping on Easter Sunday.

Others weighed in on the merits and upshot of the debate over Jesus' existence:

JBOO

I do not doubt that a man named Jesus existed, and that he probably did preach about God. But I believe he was no different than any cult leader today that preaches about their own religious beliefs and gains a small number of followers. The difference with Jesus is that Christianity was already more wide spread, and the general population was very uneducated and easily influenced by a great orator. Do I actually believe their is a God, and Jesus is his son? No. But I'm sure the man existed.

Keith

It is actually more reasonable than not to conclude that Jesus was an actual living person. Whether or not he was "the Christ" is the only worthwhile point of debate. Regardless, many of the teachings of Jesus are worthy of people to take to heart whether they are Christians or not. As an agnostic, I take those things that are wise from any and all religions, and leave behind those things that are destructive.

gimmeslack12

I don't care whether he really existed or not. It's his story that never happened, at least the son of god part and dieing and coming back to life stuff. What matters to Christians is that he is a support system that is able to take the blame for all the bad stuff in your life so that you can move past them and continue living.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think Jesus really is a great thing, because it allows people to psychologically take pressure, grief or guilt and remove the effects of anxiety and pressure that those feelings create. On the flipside it possible allows someone to conjure up Love by themselves.

I think Jesus is a psychological whipping boy for all things that people don't have or can't (don't want to?) deal with. So I think atheists and non-Christians (heck, maybe Christians themselves) are missing the point about the importance of Jesus to some people.

The Twitter conversation over the article was mostly complimentary:

@JoshTheLink

Interesting debate from CNN's site about whether or not Jesus was a real person: https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c1

@CommonDescent

CNN asks: Did Jesus exist? https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c2 Honestly, this is a topic I don't know much about. I'd like to learn more.

@TTCNews

CNN interviews two Thoughtful Christian authors for this intriguing question–Craig A. Evans... http://fb.me/1idvhPxXD

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Easter • Jesus

soundoff (2,443 Responses)
  1. Jeff

He was and is very real. And because of him we are all filled with the Christ light Energy. If you doubt that then talk to any guru, sage, or person in touch with their own spirituality. Since I have been awakened to this concept I can tell you that I have experienced some other worldly experiences in my meditation and have walked with him. What is very important is that there are other people alive today that are of the same level of divine awareness that he was. We all have the ability to be that way but it is our misuse of free will that hinders us. I am love. I am truth. I am forgiveness. This is what I am.

April 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • Allen

Light energy, you sure you confuse with the sun.

April 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • skarphace

Jeff: there are many, many religious people who do not believe in the Christian God. However, they also believe that they have 'found the light' of spirituality. Why is it that you know you are right and they are wrong? I hate to tell you, but they would say the exact same thing in reverse: you are wrong and they are right.

April 9, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  2. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Funny that Leo the Limpdick would ask about someone else's children. I wonder why a self-professed Christian would think it mattered what another person's parental status would be.

Or is Leo just a Nosy Parker?

April 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Leo

Yes you can twist just about everything... I shouldn't have asked, but responded to the Limp comment by you which was rude, but again I forget you have no morals on what you can do.

April 9, 2012 at 11:42 pm |
    • Leo

I have no doubt that you all are just serving a master and are deluded in your objectives.

II Thesalonians 2

7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming; 9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

April 9, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Bonehead, do you think moral codes forbid ridicule and scorn when the object of such is deserving?

Good grief, but you're stupid.

April 10, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  3. I am John

Why do you fear the words of the LORD? My Father is merciful and gracious, but He is also just in chastening and judgment. Surely you have heard it spoken: “You should know in your heart that as a man chastens his son, so the LORD your God chastens you.” Why does the creation reject the Creator? You would not exist nor would you have without the One who created you. Behold, the Lord Jesus stands at the door and knocks!

April 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

You are speaking about Zeus, right?

April 9, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
    • Bryant

I know reality is a difficult thing for some to grasp, but you really should keep your delusions to yourself. It's a free country and you can believe whatever silly fairy tales you like. However, that's where it stops, with you. If you want to claim that your religious cult mythology is anything but a childish story, you're going to have to provide actual proof...facts that stand up to real scrutiny.

April 9, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • Truthfully

Actually, Bryant, he does not have to provide one thing. Like you said, it's a free country. Can you provide facts that Jesus does not exist? Of course not. It's a faith issue and people who choose to believe do so because Christ has proven Himself to them. God knows our hearts and enables those who want to know the truth to know Him.

April 9, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • Chris M

"Ancient Klingons killed our gods. They were more trouble than they were worth." -Worf

April 10, 2012 at 6:13 am |
  4. Bryant

The children do get upset when you tell them there is no santa claus, no easter bunny, no tooth fairy. Sorry kids, but your religious cult is based on a fairy tale story complete with magic, mythical creatures, and even a zombie.

April 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Truthfully

Sorry Bryant but your choice to not believe in the Christ who has the power to redeem the souls of those who acknowledge Him and receive Him by faith does not mean that He is a fairy tale. It simply means that you do not believe what others believe. If I am wrong in believing in Christ I have nothing to lose by living according to His commands. If you are wrong you have much to lose. I can tell you this though; I am thoroughly convinced that Christ is who He said He is and I hope you will someday understand what the gospel and Christ is really all about.

April 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls.

Yet another believer idiot falls back on Pascal's Wager. . .

April 9, 2012 at 11:43 pm |
    • I am John

Patience! Proof will come to all. Don't worry yourself about that!! In due time it will come to all!

April 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  5. Tom

Atheists will never find God because their focus is worldly, not eternal. To find God requires the humility to acknowledge the existence of something far greater than oneself. By definition, atheists can not do this. This arrogance will forever separate and hide Him from them.

April 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Will

Where did you ever get the impression that atheists focus was worldly? Whereas people who believe in god have their focus on the eternal? I'm somewhere in the middle, but able to look at both sides, and I am glad that you speak for neither believers nor atheists with comments like that.

April 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

Actually, arrogance would be thinking that the supreme being who created everthing in the universe is your personal special friend who will lavish you with rewards and punish those who do not agree with you. Arrogance would be thinking that of the 7,000,000,000 people on this planet alone, God is watching out for you personally.

I just love the "atheists are arrogant" cliche! Yeah, we feel we are 1 in 7,000,000,000, on one insignificant planet in a universe that probably has millions in inhabitable planets. Yes, that is the height of arrogance!

April 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm |
    • skarphace

Tom: so you are saying that it is impossible for an Athiest to ever become religious? This is preposterous.

April 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Tom

@Will: A poster a few comments below said it well, "most atheists do not believe in anything supernatural." If atheists do not believe in the supernatural, what else is left besides the world and worldly things? I happen to belive that there is an entire spiritual realm that extends beyond the physical world. Can I prove its existence? No. Can atheists prove that it does not exist? No. And I'm fine with that. They've made their choice, and that choice reflects their belief that their existence ends at the grave. Compared to eternity, our physical existence isn't even an eye blink. For me, I prefer to take a larger view.

April 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Tom

@Johnny: Your entire comment drips arrogance. Thanks for making my point.

April 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Tom

@Skar: I prefer not to use terms like "religious" because of its ambiguity. "Religioius" feels like some kind of third person experience. I like "relationship" instead, because when God becomes real to you, you begin to think, and react, and understand differently. You begin to exist in the world, yet are not part of the world. This relationship requires an awareness and sensitivity to the spiritual realm, so no, in the sense that atheists deny the existence of anything spiritual, I fail to see how they can have this kind of relationship. Can they be religious? Sure, in the sense that they can partake in meaningless ceremonies and rituals. But that's not what I'm referring to.

April 9, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

Tom when it comes to your use of the word "arrogance", I can only quote the great philosopher Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

April 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  6. Martin

children have invisible friends, adults have religious invisible friends...humans love fantasy cause life is short and brutal

April 9, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
  7. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Hey, Chard, did you manage to address my questions? Why not re-post your answers here, dearie? That way, we can all see what an idiot you are.

April 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
  8. Sarah Smith

CNN You make me sick!!! I have deleted your app from my iPhone. Not only is all your news crap! You went way to far with the Easter Article. I never look at your news any way for accurate news. God will destroy you in due time. Your pathetic! Let me see an article putting down the Muslim faith, a people who legitimately deserve to be called out on their violent religion.

April 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Interested48

How Christian of you!

April 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • HellBent

"a people who legitimately deserve to be called out on their violent religion."

I would suggest picking up a bible and actually reading it. Then pick up a history book – one that covers the crusades and read that, too. Then come back and we can talk about what a violent religion really looks like.

April 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

Do take your toys with you when you stomp off out of the sand box in a huff, Sarah.

Thanks for the intelligent contributions you made to the debate.

April 9, 2012 at 11:29 pm |
    • Know What

Sarah Smith,

Sounds like my silly religious in-laws - they absolutely adored Andy Rooney for about 20 years... one of the highlights of their week; then he told about how he was an agnostic (of course, irreverently, as was his wont) and they never watched him again. They would watch 60 Minutes and would turn it off before he came on!

April 9, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
    • Chris M

God created your iPhone and all the apps on it. You just deleted a piece of god.

April 10, 2012 at 6:18 am |
  9. Tyler

This story raises academic questions. As to why people do not believe in Christ as a person or a historical figure, usually these are more involved with psychological reasons than intellectual in my opinion.

April 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

No. It's lack of evidence.

April 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Tyler

Lack of evidence for his historicity or his divinity? It depends on the framework of the discussion.

April 9, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
    • skarphace

There is no lack of evidence of the existance of Jesus. Ask any historian who is an expert on the middle east.

April 9, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

No, there is no contemporary evidence of Jesus at all. The first comes decades later – the Gospels, and the first non-Christian comes almost a century later. Honestly, while I tend to think Jesus was a real person, that is only because there are some embarassing things about him in the Bible. An invented messiah would be flawless. A real one would have some warts, so to speak.

But his divinity – no, that is beyond all credibility.

April 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Realist

Johnny, you started out right: There is no contemporary evidence for Jesus. But just because he SEEMS plausible in the Bible doesn't mean he was real. As a writer myself, I can tell you that story tellers spend their entire lives learning how to make a story plausible. The very reason that the Bible stories exist is because they were fairly well written for their time. They are the stories that have therefore survived the evolutionary culling that has removed all of the obviously implausible myths. So of course it stands to reason that the only stories that have survived scrutiny down through the ages are the ones that seem somewhat plausible–foibles included. The problem is, these little foibles do not represent the kind of three-dimensional character that we see when we look at a real historical figure, where they were known by a network of people whose existences corroborate eachother's. Like a Caesar, or a Cicero, or an Alexander–all complete with habits and idiosyncrasies and friends and bitter enemies, whose existences were also corrobarable. Jesus almost certainly did not exist. To conclude otherwise is grasping for historical straws that aren't there.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 am |
  10. almcg2

To JBOO
    you are uneducated in he history or Christianity.
    Jesus did not come after Christianity had already come into being. Where in the world did you get that idea. Jesus was a Jew, his disciples were primarily Jews,and that includes the apostles. The Romans, who ruled the area in and around Jerusalem were pagan. There might have been other little know religions in he area but none were Christians. Jesus was thought to have fulfilled the prophecies, Of the coming of the messiah who the Jews were waiting for, to lead them out of slavery and control of the Romans. The Greek word for messiah is christo. So Jesus was referred to as the christ or messiah. Jews and pagans who believed that Jesus was the Messiah or christ, were eventually called Christians. Initially they were just Jews because Jesus was preaching standard Jewish dogma.

April 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
  11. I am John

The Light shines where it is accepted and reveals the Truth to those who accept it. For those who reject the Light and love the dark, you do not see nor can you comprehend that Truth as long as you reject the Light that comes through our Lord Jesus.

April 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • Peter Stone

Just Sayin, our resident zreligious poster, says that Jesus was not God and Jesus himself said so. He posts so much that it must be true.

April 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the light shines out of my behind!

April 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • Will

This just echoes what I wrote before. If I were a cult leader, I would be sure to create built in defenses for my followers so that when my cult was doubted, people would have a script answer. "Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believe!" or something like that.

Believe what you want to believe, but believe it because you find it to be true within yourself. Don't rely on objects of man, which we know throughout all of time have been corrupted to man's end.

April 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
  12. skarphace

Well, I personally think that such a debate is worthless. As for the existance of a Jewish spiritual leader named Jesus, there is too much historical evidence to doubt. There is probably more historical proof that Jesus existed than any other person at or before that time period.

Therefore, the debate can only be based on whether or not Jesus was the son of God, and for this, there is no proof, nor can there ever be. It is the lack of proof that allows for faith, and it is faith that God demands of his followers. On this topic, however, you run into a stalemate: either you believe or you don't believe.

Therefore, since neither side can give an inch in the debate without undermining his or her very faith (or lack thereof), there really is no debate. It merely becomes an argument.

April 9, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • HellBent

". As for the existance of a Jewish spiritual leader named Jesus, there is too much historical evidence to doubt. There is probably more historical proof that Jesus existed than any other person at or before that time period."

I'm thinking you have no idea what the words 'evidence' or 'proof' actually mean.

April 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Clint

What Hellbent said.......

April 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
    • almcg2

Skarphace, very well side. Agree 100%

April 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • skarphace

Hellbent: historical docu ments detailing the existance of Jesus. This is evidence. Historical docu ments that were not from his disciples, such as those from Egypt, Rome, Persia, Babylon, etc mentioning the existance of jesus. This is strong enough evidence to call it proof.

April 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • HellBent

Please, enlighten us. Name ONE outside of the bible. If you're going to start with Josephus, you can stop right there. Josephus was born right around the time Jesus would have died and what he chronicled was that there were people who followed Jesus. Most other such historical reference has even weaker "proof"

If I wrote about a Harry Potter fan club, that would not be historical evidence for the existence of Harry Potter. See first reply to your original post.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 am |
    • Realist

Aside from the Bible, which is a story book, there is zero historical evidence of Jesus's existence. You are completely wrong when you say that his existence is the most well established of anyone to live. That's the problem with Christians, they mistake chatter for substance. There is no substance in Christianity. It's a vacuous fairy tale.

April 10, 2012 at 12:30 am |
  13. guy2213

I know some of you on here are non-believers but you should just do some research on priests like father padre pio who got the stigmata. These people bleed through their hands and have same wounds as Jesus did when he was nailed to the cross. So if you are a atheist you most likely believe in weird or supernatural stuff or aliens. If you believe in Aliens and we have yet to have any evidence that they exist, then how can you look at these pictures and articles on people that have real stigmatas that jesus had when he was crucified. Also for non-believers or atheists read the book heaven is forreal or watch small clips on you tube if you haven't all ready heard of it. This may give you twist in faith and cause you to believe once again because im sure most of you where once a believer.

April 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
    • HellBent

"So if you are a atheist you most likely believe in weird or supernatural stuff "

I have no idea what insane logic led you to that conclusion, but I can assure you that the vast majority of atheists, being as how we usually tend to work off of available evidence, don't believe in anything supernatural.

April 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • Well That Was Really Weird, Guy!

"If you are a atheist you most likely believe in weird or supernatural stuff or aliens."

Say what? How did you come to that amazing insight?

"If you believe in Aliens and we have yet to have any evidence that they exist, then how can you look at these pictures and articles on people that have real stigmatas that jesus had when he was crucified."

Okay, I am laughing now.

"Also for non-believers or atheists read the book heaven is forreal or watch small clips on you tube if you haven't all ready heard of it."

There are small film clips of heaven on youtube? Right.

April 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • skarphace

If you do historical research on the topic of death by crucifix, you find a counterargument to your claim, however.

They did not put the nails through the palm of the hands when they nailed people to the cross. they put the nail through the wrist. The reason for this is that the bones of the hand cannot support your weight. The bones of the wrist, however, can.

Therefore, if this padre you are talking about really did bleed, he would have bled at the wrist, not the palms of the hands. With this in mind, you see how people would be skeptical.

April 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Allen

i seen more priest faking their own miracle in alot third world counties. The fact you willing to believe a person who have motives that he did something no one can do before or or break the law of science say alot about you. Now if we dont count your basic understand of police work, or common sense. Think this, God those this person and not you. This person is more special than you. It say he like this guy more than you, that he give a Prist who i bet have more crime commit than you, stole more donation money from helpless people and god chose him than you, Now think about that.

April 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • almcg2

GUY... Romans did not crucify with nails through the hands. Archaeological, scientific and historical research has proven that the hands won't support nails without ripping out, and the,Romans nailed through the wrist for more support. The bleeders you see in vid clips etc are frauds. And as far as someone speaking the words that Jesus spoke... we do not know what words Jesus spoke because he never wrote his own gospel. We only know what words others say he spoke.and... then we have to deal with the translation issues from ancient Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek into our native languages hundreds of years ago.

April 9, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  14. HellBent

My prediction: xtians like Leo will disagree with me.

Since this has already been proven true, using Leo's logic, everything I say must be true! Hooray!

April 9, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
  15. Jeff

I have to admit i was a bit upset at first. But then I realized that people will believe what they want. I firmly believe in Jesus and his time here on earth. I whole-heartily believe in the bible. I will continue to pray for and love everyone on this planet. It's what Jesus commanded. For those who claim to be Christian but spew hatred towards those who oppose your view, I would suggest you read the teachings of Jesus. This is not what he would want. To those who believe Jesus was a myth, I will continue to hope and pray for you.

April 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
  16. David Crosby

If Jesus is so alive..Can I get his phone number from one of the faithful..?..No.. didn't think so....guess that means uh..that he's dead..duh...

April 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • Jim McGuinn

You are still fired, David

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 am |
  17. Leo

Tom, You couldn't read and understand?

“Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

The word of God told us what would happen 2000 years ago. We can rejoice that the final stages will be fulfilled for the day comes soon.

April 9, 2012 at 11:03 pm |
    • HellBent

@Leo – go re-read your book. The end of days was supposed to happen within a generation of jesus passing away. Your supposedly omnipotent god couldn't even accurately predict his own return. What's more – he didn't even know when the world would end. Apparently, your monotheistic god is not only suffering from multiple personality disorder, his personalities like to keep secrets from each other!

April 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Read and understand what, Leo the Limpdick?

April 9, 2012 at 11:13 pm |
    • Will

Leo – you don't seem to understand human nature. If I were a cult leader and had a small amount of intelligence, I would know that one day my followers would be persecuted, or doubt set upon my religion. So I would certainly make sure that there was plenty of writings to ensure that my followers would think that I "divinely foresaw" their plight, and wrote words of encouragement years before. Probably the best thing religions have going for them is old texts that for some reason people believe is divine in nature, instead of the work of a then-modern cultist whose cult somehow survived.

April 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • Leo

You may know the scriptures but only to twist.

Jesus comes back for Israel, Israel rejected Jesus and were scattered to all the nations. Israel must be reborn as they were in 1948.

This generation shall not pass away until all these things are fulfilled.

Dig deep and learn the greek word Genos, for it means both generation and race and it is used both ways.

April 9, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
    • Leo

Will great point... because you are evil you think Jesus must have been evil. We all think others are like ourselves it is human nature. Thank you!!

April 9, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
    • Leo

Tom I have three boys how many kids you have?

April 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The day you figure out how to write a coherent sentence, Leo the Limpdick, I'll be happy to consider your interpretation of the Bible.

Until then? Not so much, dink.

April 9, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

The number of children I have is hardly relevant, Leo. Unless you think your worth is determined by the number of spawn you generate.

April 9, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • HellBent

@Leo,

And I'm the one twisting the original words? HA! Typical non-response to hard questions – just say that the questioner must not understand. Do you really expect us to believe that you have such a solid understand of your text that you understand the nuances of the language in which it was written, but y ou had no idea what it says to do with non-believers in multiple instances? HA! Thanks for the laugh.

You still haven't attempted to excuse away why your omnipotent diety keeps secrets from itself.

April 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

I wonder, Leo, why would you ask about my kids?

April 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • Will

No Leo, I am not evil. But you are a chucklehead. My point was that any cult leader with a brain would plan for what the bible says in advance. I think that was pretty clear. But thanks for calling me evil, as I'm pretty sure the bible also says something about reserving judgment for god. So how's it feel to be a sinner and a hypocrite at the same time?

April 9, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • Leo

Just wondering.. you ashamed of something else?

April 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Leo

Bent you state "Typical non-response to hard questions " I gave you a biblical respnse for this, prove me wrong!!

April 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Leo, you're beyond pathetic.

April 9, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Prove you wrong? Prove you're right. Cite any proof other than the Bible, ya dink.

April 9, 2012 at 11:36 pm |
    • Leo

Will, Right Jesus said not one stone would be left upon the other knowing full well that the romans would set the temple on fire and the gold would go into the lower levels, forcing them to tear everything down.

April 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • Leo

No more pearls for tonight!!

April 9, 2012 at 11:39 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Yeah, that makes PERFECT sense.

In an alternate reality.

What kind of dumb are you, Leo? Regular, or extra-special?

April 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • 0G-No gods, ghosts, goblins or ghouls.

Leo, sorry to break the news to but your Babble is a phony piece of shit. Until you prove the existence of the god that alledgedly inspired it, it is nothing more than a comic book about a Jewish Zombie! Prove your cult's supernatural being exists or shut the fuck up!!

April 9, 2012 at 11:40 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

"No more pearls for tonight."

Those turds were pearls? In what universe, witless?

April 9, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Leo

Someone posted this earlier, and it says it all.

Welcome to the "First Atheist Unilateralist Church of Us." All who are believe in the nonexistence of deities are welcome to decry all emotions, needs, or weaknesses with Us. There is no room for doubt among us. The unsure will be educated until they agree with Us. Those who disagree with us will be marginalized and taunted until they either change their minds or just shut up. This will give Us the satisfaction of knowing that we are morally superior in intellect, word and deed (notwithstanding our inherent contradictory behavior which we'll choose to ignore.)

Please leave your donation to Us at the door. It costs money for Us to keep reaffirming in the absolute to ourselves. We like to go out for Dairy Queen once in a while and berate people who don't agree with us. It's kind of like believers 'testifying', only we call it 'reasoning.'

April 9, 2012 at 11:58 pm |
    • HellBent

Leo – you did not give me a biblical response. Your response essentially said that when the authors wrote that all things would be fulfilled within this generation, that they didn't actually mean that all these things would be filled within this generation. It's rather sad and pathetic, actually.

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 am |
  18. † In God We Trust †

Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things...

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

†† Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator ††!

April 9, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • † In God We Trust †

Athiestst are stupad. I are shmart.

April 9, 2012 at 11:09 pm |
    • Allen

Dude having you reply too yourself is a sign of mental health, plus doing something like posting the same comment over and over and expect a different result is a really big sign of mental health.

April 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • Will

It's posts like these that cause me to defend atheists. There's a big difference between atheists – who just don't believe in god – and anti-theists – who actively campaign against a god. Regardless, just because 90%+ of people believe in something, doesn't make it correct. In fact, some of the worst misconceptions in history were caused by religious-based mob mentality (earth flat, we center of the universe, etc) and probably more will be debunked in the future (extraterrestrial life, etc).

Or you were just posting this for fun – I gotta admit I got a chuckle out of it.

April 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm |
    • windrider2

Congratulations! You managed to cram in more bigotry and stereotypes into one post than I have ever seen on this site or any other news site. Amazing. Even more amazing is there are people who believe every one of these bogus statements. SMH

April 9, 2012 at 11:16 pm |
    • waitasec

funny...
      can you support any claims about god with empirical evidence?

critical thinking or wishful thinking.
      you pick

April 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
    • Clint

I shouldn't reply to this horrid post at all, but:

"90% of silly comments here are posted by closet Atheists"

I just want to ask the poster and any other religious folks..... why would there be "closet Atheists"? I'm not saying there aren't any, I'm saying why do you tolerant religious folks think an Atheist would have to be closeted?

Perhaps it has to do with how intolerant many religous folks really are..........

April 9, 2012 at 11:24 pm |
    • almcg2

I think your writing shows who the idiot is . No, I'm not an Atheist. First off Atheism isn't a religion, it's a belief or a philosophy. Atheists don't worship satan, they don't orship anything, thwt's what makes the atheists fool.

April 9, 2012 at 11:37 pm |
    • mdoelling

Isn't loving thy enemy supposed to be a Christian virtue. Anyway, thanks for dazzling us with your ignorance and for proving that behind every pseudo-religious populist like yourself lies a Fascist yet to be discovered.

April 9, 2012 at 11:41 pm |
    • Greg

This is going to be my next topic of a youtube vid. Oh HELL yeah. – ProportionalResponse on YT.

April 10, 2012 at 12:06 am |
  19. Andrew Harris

I personally believe that the Lord is real. I've seen things that would obviously be impossible if things were only "science". If you can't see the evidence of Christ around you, you must be looking in the wrong place. Take a look at this.

April 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • Will

Andrew – there's a large difference between believing that there is a god (lord, whatever) and believing that Jesus Christ was a real person, or that anything in the Bible is true. There are other major religions in this world, and they all point to a single divine being, but they do not all agree on Jesus.

April 9, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
    • Allen

so you saying reject science and go back to a dawn where christan were the most powerful people in the world and they kill everyone who don't believe you. Everyone like you who reject basic common sense will fight each other for which is right. Yes it best if we stick to science and not listen to people like you, before you guy start burning book and restarting the dark age again.

April 9, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
  20. Leo

Matthew 5

1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him. 2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,
    3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

April 9, 2012 at 10:57 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

And? This is supposed to prove what, exactly? That you can cut and paste Bible verses? Gosh, that's just SO impressive?

But tell us, dear, what are your HOPES?

April 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
    • Leo

I hope that you will find hope and joy in knowing that Jesus died for the sins of the world including you.

Those are just two... how about you?

April 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

My hope is that one day people like you will get help and become literate, educated, and productive members of the human race who can actually manage to write in your native language in some way that is intelligible.

Please, contribute to my cause, Leo. Get a GED.

April 9, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
    • Clint

"One of my hopes is that some day folks like you will be givin the sign that you claim are seeking for before it is too late."

Noone is seeking a "sign", we are seking (asking for) real evidince, physical real proof. Not some supernatural sign. Until real proff exists, your deity does not.

April 9, 2012 at 11:26 pm |