home
RSS
Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers
Jesus depicted healing a sick child.
April 8th, 2012

Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers

Our story on a small cadre of authors challenging the existence of Jesus Christ drew almost 5,000 comments on Easter Sunday, with some upset that we did the story, others objecting to its publication on Easter, and plenty of others defending the article and the run date and debating the merits and implications of the debate.

Of course, most comments had nothing to do with our story, revolving instead around the debate about legitimacy of religion itself.

A sampling of the criticism:

Easter on CNN

You've gone too far.

While I am an advocate of spiritual exploration – by atheists to disprove or by the faithful to validate – running an article questioning the very core of a religious belief system on a holy day is indelicate, to say the least. Will you question that Muhammad received the word of God, running similar articles during Ramadan? Or on Yom Kippur, draw on conjecture to argue that the Book of Life is for fools?

This is not journalism. This sensationalist pander.

edeveryday

I would like to see if CNN would dare run a story saying that Muhammad was a "myth" on the Muslim' s holiest holidays and that Abraham was a "myth" on the Jewish holidays. Go ahead CNN and give it a try and see what happens.

rbsrs

Every Easter?...I mean why a negative story every Easter?? It has become a running joke.

ANGRY AT CNN!!!

CNN: IF YOU READ THIS GO TO HELL FOR YOUR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIGOTRY THIS EASTER SUNDAY!!!!

Many other readers took aim at the critics:

JHC

To those who are insulted by this article,

If your faith is so weak that it cannot stand up to being looked at from an objective, historical, evidence based perspective, then this article is the least of your problems.

nomdefaitour

It is ironic that so many christians are "offended" at a dialogue about religion sponsored by CNN instead of greeting the opportunity to express their views. Perhaps they are shamed that we all know they are surfing the web when they should be worshipping on Easter Sunday.

Others weighed in on the merits and upshot of the debate over Jesus' existence:

JBOO

I do not doubt that a man named Jesus existed, and that he probably did preach about God. But I believe he was no different than any cult leader today that preaches about their own religious beliefs and gains a small number of followers. The difference with Jesus is that Christianity was already more wide spread, and the general population was very uneducated and easily influenced by a great orator. Do I actually believe their is a God, and Jesus is his son? No. But I'm sure the man existed.

Keith

It is actually more reasonable than not to conclude that Jesus was an actual living person. Whether or not he was "the Christ" is the only worthwhile point of debate. Regardless, many of the teachings of Jesus are worthy of people to take to heart whether they are Christians or not. As an agnostic, I take those things that are wise from any and all religions, and leave behind those things that are destructive.

gimmeslack12

I don't care whether he really existed or not. It's his story that never happened, at least the son of god part and dieing and coming back to life stuff. What matters to Christians is that he is a support system that is able to take the blame for all the bad stuff in your life so that you can move past them and continue living.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think Jesus really is a great thing, because it allows people to psychologically take pressure, grief or guilt and remove the effects of anxiety and pressure that those feelings create. On the flipside it possible allows someone to conjure up Love by themselves.

I think Jesus is a psychological whipping boy for all things that people don't have or can't (don't want to?) deal with. So I think atheists and non-Christians (heck, maybe Christians themselves) are missing the point about the importance of Jesus to some people.

The Twitter conversation over the article was mostly complimentary:

@JoshTheLink

Interesting debate from CNN's site about whether or not Jesus was a real person: https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c1

@CommonDescent

CNN asks: Did Jesus exist? https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c2 Honestly, this is a topic I don't know much about. I'd like to learn more.

@TTCNews

CNN interviews two Thoughtful Christian authors for this intriguing question–Craig A. Evans... http://fb.me/1idvhPxXD

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Easter • Jesus

soundoff (2,443 Responses)
  1. ArdDruid

The Pagans, the people who gave you christmas also gave you easter.

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 am |
  2. Tell Me This

Christianity is dependent on two things: the existence of an afterlife and the existence of sin. I don't believe either exists. Give me concrete proof that either exist. You can't. Therefore, you can shove your delusional fantasies and your Jesus.

April 10, 2012 at 12:31 am |
    • Drew

Most of us have a sense of sin, some more acute than others. It's only a question of where it comes from

April 10, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • Tell Me This

I don't have a sense of sin. Sin implies contrition or retribution for its commission. Don't confuse acts against the common good for sin. Still looking for proof that the Christian concept of sin exists.

April 10, 2012 at 12:36 am |
    • Drew

Well you're one of the lucky ones. I agree that sin is rarely rational, but that doesn't mean some of us still don't feel it. It is an internal reality for a lot of people

April 10, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • Tell Me This

That means that they're pathetic, Drew. They shouldn't be coddled for their delusion.

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 am |
    • Drew

But if people really feel sin, doesn't that make it "real," or at least as real as any feeling or emotion or idea can be?

April 10, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • Tell Me This

No. I'm looking for concrete proof that there's such a thing as the Christian concept of sin, not what someone "feels". Real, tangible proof. Without proof of sin and proof of an afterlife where such sins will be "judged", Christianity falls apart, as it should do so in a rational time such as ours.

April 10, 2012 at 12:44 am |
    • Drew

Oh I see. In that case you are correct that such a thing could never be proved

April 10, 2012 at 12:46 am |
    • Tell Me This

And without proof, Christianity is no more than a house of cards that can only be rationalized by idiots. Any rational thinker would listen to the person supposedly quoted in the New Testament and regard his teachings as a decent guide to assist fellow human beings, but dismiss the "son of God" stuff as the ravings of a madman.

April 10, 2012 at 12:50 am |
    • CounterwwDavid

And there it is .. The elitist atheists
      Calling the Christians idiots

Repent and know Christ, that is life.

April 10, 2012 at 12:59 am |
    • HellBent

@Counter – know Christ? How in the world should we do that? You xtians can't even get your story straight – which of you knows the real jesus?

April 10, 2012 at 1:04 am |
  3. moonbogg

Jesus is still alive right? How is that a sacrifice? What's a weekend of being merely inconvenienced to an eternal god? Its hardly a sacrifice. Any soldier who dies for our freedom is a true, much more meaningful sacrifice than an imaginary christ could ever provide.

April 10, 2012 at 12:28 am |
    • Drew

I'm not Christian, but I think the response would be that Jesus was both human and divine and so the human part of him suffered terribly on the cross

April 10, 2012 at 12:33 am |
    • HellBent

The entire idea of an omnipotent being making a sacrifice is laughably ridiculous. If someone or thing has the potential to sacrifice, then that being cannot be all-powerful.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 am |
    • Drew

Well as I was explaining Hellbent, it relies on the duality of Christ as both human and divine. Point taken though

April 10, 2012 at 12:35 am |
    • moonbogg

I say it is no sacrifice, and those who invented or borrowed this idea of sacrifice clearly did not think this through. No idea like this would ever gain traction today...oh wait

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 am |
  4. MashaSobaka

Something tells me that if the Christians who were protesting the appearance of this "negative" (i.e., secular) article on Easter saw Muslims protesting a "negative" article about the Prophet Mohammad during Ramadan, they would pitch a holy xenophobic fit, accusing those Muslims of attempting to indoctrinate the wee little Christians and forcing their faith onto innocent people. But it's Jesus we're talking about, right? Jesus, and Christianity, get special treatment in this country. It's perfectly okay to demand that everyone follow the dogmatic requirements of your faith...so long as your faith is one of the many branches of Christianity. Double standards are awesome.

This is all beside the fact that there wasn't anything negative about the article. It was pointing out that religions grow out of other religions, that the story we think of as "the Jesus story" actually predates the time of Christ. People who do not take the Bible literally have known this for a very long time. And, like many people are saying, if your faith is shaken by the appearance of one little hiccup in the story then you should be seriously considering whether you can call yourself one of the "faithful" at all.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 am |
  5. Mark Flint

2 Timothy 3
    But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.
    They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.
    A Final Charge to Timothy
    You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings—what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch, Iconium and Lystra, the persecutions I endured. Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of, because you know those from whom you learned it, and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

April 10, 2012 at 12:26 am |
    • Drew

according to this description, the "last days" could have been literally any time in human history. Many early Xtians believed that Jesus would return in their lifetime

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 am |
  6. CHRIST

For all you all believers , thanks to my father God I will be going down to the earth next week. Please help me in advance, I will open a bank account sooner so you can start your donations because I will need some logistic supporting my world tour.

thanks and God Bless you.

April 10, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  7. Hugo

Jesus is a false god and xtians are chumps.

April 10, 2012 at 12:23 am |
    • Thanks America

I was born Mexican and Catholic, the first time I came as a child to visit the U.S. i went to San Diego, I was amazed about the development and beauty of the place, I thoughts Americans were the smartest people on earth, unfortunatelly every time I watch news, hear your politicians or hear some clown shouting on tv the word of "god" I feel as being back home with the same ignorance and stupidity.

Any way thanks America, at least I can freely express myself anout the topic.

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  8. us free dating

Generally I do not read article on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing style has been surprised me. Thanks, quite great article.

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 am |
  9. Holly

CNN and all news organizations ought to be respectful of the most holy day in all of Christendom, Easter, when Billions of Christians all over the world celebrate the resurrection of Jesus.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Drew

Perhaps, but at the end of the day if your faith is strong then it shouldn't really matter

April 10, 2012 at 12:15 am |
      • Holly

You are correct. Faith should be strong enough to withstand attacks against believers. However, we have become a rude nation where people, including media outlets think it's okay to attack religion. What ever happened to showing a little respect?

April 11, 2012 at 11:01 am |
    • Holly, could you help me understand this?

Could you tell me why each of the four Gospels describes the resurrection very differently? Each has a different number of women, who find a different number of people and/or angels at the tomb, the rock is in place in one but moved in the others, and Jesus is there in only one, but he doesn't look like Jesus and his mother does not recognize hom (he is not there in any other Gospel).

Why are there so many significant contradictions in that simple account of one short event? None of them go together with any other.

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 am |
      • Holly

There are no contradictions. The Gospels, all from various points of view, compliment each other perfectly when it comes to the Resurrection of Christ. Those who study know that.

April 11, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Todd in DC

Great. Jesus the arch-lich. Well, that's one daemon people don't mind worshipping.

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 am |
      • Holly

Who you call a daemon, others call their Savior and Redeemer, their God. It is not polite to trample on others beliefs.

April 11, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • ArdDruid

Holly the most holy day in christendom as you call is neither a christian holy day nor is it unique in celebrations stolen from even more ancient belief systems.

April 10, 2012 at 12:28 am |
      • Holly

For Christians, Easter Sunday is the celebration of the resurrection of Jesus. No day in the history of the earth holds as much significance as that day. It is a most sacred and holy day for those of faith.

April 11, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Heather

Easter is actually a pagan celebration that Christendom has attempted to 'Christianize'. So 'Christians' shouldn't be bothered by CNN having an article about Jesus on Easter... Think about it: what do bunnies and eggs have to do with Jesus? Nothing. Bunnies and eggs, do however, have a whole lot to do with the pagan fertility god that the Easter celebration came from. Google it: origin of Easter...

April 10, 2012 at 12:31 am |
      • Holly

True Christians recognize the difference between the pagan celebration of bunnies and eggs vs. the celebration of Jesus Christ and the miracle of his resurrection. No single event in the history of the world is as significant to Christians as Christ's resurrection. It is a most holy and sacred day.

April 11, 2012 at 10:55 am |
    • AGuest9

Funny how similar it is to the tale of Osiris.

April 11, 2012 at 11:02 am |
  10. I am John

Luke 23:34, Then Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do.” How very fitting a verse to end this discussion to so many hostile to the One who is their only hope. I pray for you because I truly care and love you even if I don't know you. Good night.

April 10, 2012 at 12:09 am |
    • Drew

How do I know its him and not Mohammed? How do I know the Mormon's aren't right? If god exists, it seems that he is asking us to gamble with our souls

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • Jim

The difference is, you and and I believe a dollar is a dollar. We both believe lettuce is a form of food. I do not believe in god. With that in mind, and the knowledge I posses, your prayer is worthless to me. i still respect you, but I think you are dellusional. Sorry.

April 10, 2012 at 12:16 am |
    • Just a Normal Guy

I'd prefer to end the discussion with Ezekiel 23:20; "There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses."

I can quote things, too.

April 10, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • sam stone

why do you need this "hope", john?

April 10, 2012 at 5:49 am |
  11. sharlene reyes

free choice- thats what god gives us but we really need to make the right choice which of course would be accepting jesus christ as your savior and redeemer he suffered so much so we could spend eternity in heaven and when that moment of death happens and no one can escape death and you are standing before god you will have no option to except him and confess your sins you will pass eternity seperated from god and be in the pit of hell i am not angry with anyone who does not believe in god i fell sorrow and will pray that those who dont believe will just give god a chance and he will convince you he is who he says he is and just how much he loves everyone in the world and he will forgive anyone who asks

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 am |
    • Mark

You speak of free choice – then try to tell people what to do. Freedom of religion includes from it.

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 am |
    • Bryant

The typical immature fear of mortality, that's where the religious cults always tend to go in the end...from Pascal's wager to the threats of mythical hellfire.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Revelation

If it is free choice, you should choose to use punctuation.

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • Drew

God a period or a comma might be nice, I feel like I'm reading one of Beckett's later novels, especially given the existential dread. Take that as a compliment or an insult

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 am |
    • DrewNumberTwo

He'll forgive you, unless you couldn't find him when you were alive. Tough cookies, then. It's like hide and seek with eternal consequences.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 am |
    • Just a Normal Guy

If I'm wrong, and you're right, when I stand before this God fellow on the day of my judgment, I will allow him some time to explain himself before I commit to any course of action.

In all honesty, you should probably review grammar and spelling if you wish to be taken seriously.

April 10, 2012 at 12:20 am |
    • sam stone

sharlene: what makes you think that YOURS is the "right" choice? seems to me that what is the "right" god is entirely subjective.

April 10, 2012 at 5:52 am |
    • sam stone

bryant: it is their bread and butter, and it's been good to them

April 10, 2012 at 5:53 am |
  12. WDinDallas

The good news.....nobody offended by this article will vote Democrat....and there are a lot of Democrats that are offended!

Blake, without intention because he is pandering "progressives", is slowly insuring a massive Republican landslide in November. Thanks John, you have done what we could not. Keep up your good work.....

April 9, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Mark

I really do not care who wins but I have no idea what your basing our fantasy on; Even Republicans are not happy with their chances this year.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Johnny Blammo

Now there is a brilliant piece of political analysis!

So you expect the devout Christians to vote for the Mormon? You think the moderates are going to go for Romney because of a Belief Blog article?

You are talking about Romney. Santorum is a political zombie – he's still moving around, but he is dead dead dead. Will religious people go for the Christian or the Mormon.

I personally think it will be a close election, and the deciding factor will be whether the economy feels like it is improving or worsening.

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 am |
    • Drew

Wait I'm sorry, people are basing their vote on what mediocre article CNN runs? Wow we really are in trouble

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 am |
  13. Nemo

It's not Jesus' history that's disputed, but his divinity. I can accept the reality that Jesus son of Joseph existed, but I don't think that there was ever a Jesus, son of God.

April 9, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Just a Normal Guy

No, there is a significant lack of evidence in regard to his existence period. It's one of those things that we'll probably never reach a concise answer on. Do I think he existed? I'll go with probably. Is there enough empirical evidence to declare it as fact? Not so much.

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 am |
  14. Spencer T. F.

The Bible already discussed this, as did the Apostle Paul. Try to read this lengthier text with an open mind:
    "Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is in vain and your faith is in vain. We are even found to be misrepresenting God, because we testified about God that he raised Christ, whom he did not raise if it is true that the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied."
    (1 Corinthians 15:12-19 ESV)

April 9, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Spencer T. F.

As Tim Keller preached on his Easter sermon in 94 – The gospel is first and foremost a historical account. Secondly it will improve your life.

April 9, 2012 at 11:57 pm |
    • Just a Normal Guy

Yeah, the Bible is not really much of a historical account when they have entire books full of things that didn't happen. There's a little matter of a world flood that has absolutely zero pieces of evidence to corroborate the tale. Also, there's kind of this thing called Exodus that didn't happen.

April 10, 2012 at 12:25 am |
    • And No Religion Too

This is total, circular nonsense, and I'm kind of embarrassed for you using it as evidence. Paul did not know Jesus; never met him. Almost all communication at that time and place in the world was passed on orally. And edited, expounded on, etc., to fit the agenda of the person doing the selling. You want to be taken seriously? Do some work on your own, don't just quote ancient doublespeak.

April 10, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • HellBent

"we are of all people most to be pitied."

Agreed.

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 am |
  15. wordclock

I'm leaving a comment on an article about comments!!!!!!!!

April 9, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Just a Normal Guy

I'm leaving a comment on a comment on an article about comments.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 am |
  16. Martin

it's a choice: honest inquiry or faith in fantasy. the latter is the easy route

April 9, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
    • mandarax

Indeed.

April 9, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
    • Jonathan Simon

Couldn't say it better

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 am |
  17. Bryant

To 'Truthfully' (who apparently doesn't understand the meaning of the word) Look up Pascal's Wager and discover why your comment about having something to lose for not believing in a religious cult fairy tale is ignorant. Any story with magical beings, zombies, imaginary sky daddy's that create rain, thunder and lightning is a fairy tale. The childish stories from the bible don't pass the smell test.

April 9, 2012 at 11:45 pm |
    • Truthfully

Bryant- I have no need to look up anything by Pascal because "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding" Poverbs 9:10
      Clearly we do not agree but I did not come here to argue with you; just to post what I believe just like you came to post what you believe. I'm signing off because I have to work in the morning. No hard feelings toward you. Continue your search for truth.

April 9, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
    • Todd in DC

Truthfully, do you really want to base your face on Jesus the Arch-Lich? He died, was reborn with his wounds, he had the power to invade minds and move objects.

Arch-lich. Maybe you should put your beliefs in pixies. They're nicer.

April 10, 2012 at 12:24 am |
    • Chris M

"Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end". -Spock, ST: VI I can quote fantasy too.

April 10, 2012 at 6:04 am |
  18. I am John

All of us are the creation of the Creator, but some here on this post think they are greater than He is. The ways of man are truly foolish. The combined wisdom of mankind can't even come close to His omniscience. Who created the sun, the moon, the stars? His existence and omnipotence are evident all around us. Yet I and those who believe are to show love even to those who persecute and ridicule us. I LOVE YOU! I wish you too could be a believer so you would see the world in a different Light and Hope! My hope is that He works in your life to open your eyes to the Truth.

April 9, 2012 at 11:44 pm |
    • Bryant

April 9, 2012 at 11:46 pm |
    • mandarax

@You are John: Does the fact that you don't believe in Superman (and I'm assuming you don't) mean that you believe you are greater than Superman? See how that makes no sense? Your conclusion doesn't follow from your premise. With regard to logic, the rest of your post continues to go downhill from there.

April 9, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
    • Bryant

What person isn't greater than a fairy tale character? Seriously, if you think a fairy tale character is more valuable or important than a real person, than you have a definite problem with the value of a human life.

April 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • sam stone

"If you have to capitalize the word, truth, you only demonstrate that you aren't using it honestly."

i like it.

April 10, 2012 at 6:04 am |
  19. I molested Tebow

Heathens!!! All of you are going to hell for denying the Truth!!! See how retarded I sounded there, Bible thumpers? Your holy men molest children.

April 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Allen

i going to valhalla, it sound a alot better place than heaven. Everyone join me a valhalla and we drink till we die....again.

April 9, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
    • Johnny Blammo

You humorously bring up a good point – most things that people call heaven would actually be so torturous that they would really be hell. Consider the Christian or Mormon heaven – you spend eternity surrounded by people like just sayin, and you ceaselessly praise God. There are no challenges or difficulties, just the endless praising and praising and praining and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising and praising.

That's all you do. Forever. See the problem? No challenges, which make life interesting, no changes which make life interesting.

That would become hell by about the third week, and by the 493rd millenium of doing it, I would think that by then everyone in heaven would be running around with Glocks and Kalashnikovs killing everyone else, having been driven massively insane.

Want to know a real heaven? Flying Spaghetti Monster has a beer volcano and a stripper factory.

April 9, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
    • Wally

Hey, that's funny! What about Muslim heaven? Those guys are stuck with 72 virgins for all eternity. Ever been around 13 year old virgins? They are a blitzkreig of extreme moodiness and hyperemotional melodrama. And at any given time, about 20 of them woould be having their periods!

You know, I never thought about it, but Muslim martyrs DESERVE that!

April 9, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Ephraim

@Johnny Blammo. Your point seems to miss the point of how the Bible presents heaven. I will give you credit for stating that there is no "challenge" in heaven. Based on what you are saying (correct me if I'm wrong) that all challenges have good and bad aspects. The Bible states that heaven is a perfectly good place, therefore there is no challenge in heaven. Either, we (the readers) accept your statement about heaven or we accept the Bible's statement about heaven. Since, I accept what the Bible says I have to dismiss what you say, based on your definition and use of the word "challenge".

April 10, 2012 at 12:17 am |
    • sam stone

tebow: well, it IS "blessed to c-o-m-e in the name of the lord".....OH GOD, OH G-G-G-GOD!

April 10, 2012 at 6:09 am |
  20. guy2213

for the atheists you misunderstood that heaven is forreal is a book written by a father and son where a son was clinically dead for i believe an hour i think, doctors and nurses where there and they were witnesses to it, this story was all over tv and news stations. You may be able to find it here on cnn. take a look it may change your insight on things. Look the supernatural part sounds a little dumb but believe i have some atheist friends and they almost all believe in aliens or life in other universes that is almost the same as saying jesus is a regular person. You dont know that for a fact. When you can find a person that has a type of background as Jesus does someone that has a book written about him preached in thousands of churches has a not one but two holidays nationally celebrated for him Christmas and Easter. Also Jesus healed people there were witnesses as well its not like it was one person just going around writing phoney stories about him many people like the Ephesians and others wrote about him as well as people healed by him and what not. I just don't get how he was just some regular guy not to mention the Roman Guard even saw how he resurrected these soldiers were scared for their lives when this happened!

April 9, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Well, I got about halfway through your post before I gave up on finding a sentence.

April 9, 2012 at 11:34 pm |
    • Greg

Paragraphs. You're doing it wrong.

April 10, 2012 at 12:00 am |
    • Wally

It's really more of a vowel movement than real writing, Tom.

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 am |
    • Realist

A couple problems with your arguments here. First, I don't know for a fact that they're aren't any leprechauns either, but since neither I nor anyone I know or have even heard about has met one, I think the probability is pretty low that leprechauns exist. Jesus and God might exist too, but given the lack of evidence, the overwhelming likelihood is that they don't. And that's the point: the wise person does not spend his time on things that have an infinitesimal possibility of being true. And that's really the odds of God being true, if you consider that no one has ever seen him (the Bible says you can't; how convenient), and given the history of high prevalence–dare I say ubiquity–in our own civilization. 2). What you call "witnesses" are referenced only in the Bible itself. This just goes to illustrate one of the major problems with Christianity: ALMOST NO ONE WHO PRACTICES IT KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT IT. They don't realize how pitifully little evidence there is for it–the Bible is the only source! And if that's evidence, then Harry Potter books are evidence that wizards exist, and Beowulf is evidence that dragons existed, and the King Arthur books are evidence that there used to be magic lands. One book does not evidence make! There is no record of any Roman guard outside of this one book, whose purpose it is to bamboozle people into believing in its silly scheme. No evidence of God, and no evidence of Jesus. Mythology is not evidence!

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 am |
    • Just a Normal Guy

I have not read the book, but I have heard of it. My contention is that an oxygen-deprived brain will cause hallucinations. Without any type of empirical evidence to the contrary, I'll go with Occam's Razor here.

As far as some atheists believing in aliens, or life in other universes, they're allowed to do so. There is only one common creed for atheists; Disbelief in the existence of deities. Personally, I would say it's possible, but until sufficient evidence is produced, I won't believe it.

If the book about Jesus you're referencing is the Bible, well, the earliest anybody dates any of the New Testament gospels is 70 CE, 37 years after what would be the guy's death. There is a significant lack of any historical evidence to back up a ton of the claims made in it. Most of the authors were anonymous, and the accounts themselves contradict themselves. Here's a list of 462 of them. http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/contra/by_number.html

The holidays, well, they were adapted from Pagan holidays to better suit the transition to a Christian government. That's just a matter of history.

The earliest mentioning of a historical Jesus, outside a purely religious text, is by Josephus in a work created in 93 CE. Even the authenticity of this is debated among scholars with the widely held belief that at least a part of this has been altered by a scribe later.

Until there is empirical evidence produced to the contrary, do I think Jesus existed? Probably. Do I think Jesus is a magic-man whose father is a god? No.

April 10, 2012 at 12:12 am |
    • sharlene reyes

jesus was not just a regular guy he was god in the flesh who came to earth to die. he came to take our sins upon himself so we could be saved and be in heaven with god when we die instead of being eternally seperated from him. he really loves us that much ,all of us the whole world,he is a loving and forgiving god. seek him out he will show you the way

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 am |
    • sam stone

wow. what a testamonial, guy.....i am truly moved. have you ever looked into a frontal lobotomy?

April 10, 2012 at 6:14 am |