home
RSS
Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers
Jesus depicted healing a sick child.
April 8th, 2012

Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers

Our story on a small cadre of authors challenging the existence of Jesus Christ drew almost 5,000 comments on Easter Sunday, with some upset that we did the story, others objecting to its publication on Easter, and plenty of others defending the article and the run date and debating the merits and implications of the debate.

Of course, most comments had nothing to do with our story, revolving instead around the debate about legitimacy of religion itself.

A sampling of the criticism:

Easter on CNN

You've gone too far.

While I am an advocate of spiritual exploration – by atheists to disprove or by the faithful to validate – running an article questioning the very core of a religious belief system on a holy day is indelicate, to say the least. Will you question that Muhammad received the word of God, running similar articles during Ramadan? Or on Yom Kippur, draw on conjecture to argue that the Book of Life is for fools?

This is not journalism. This sensationalist pander.

edeveryday

I would like to see if CNN would dare run a story saying that Muhammad was a "myth" on the Muslim' s holiest holidays and that Abraham was a "myth" on the Jewish holidays. Go ahead CNN and give it a try and see what happens.

rbsrs

Every Easter?...I mean why a negative story every Easter?? It has become a running joke.

ANGRY AT CNN!!!

CNN: IF YOU READ THIS GO TO HELL FOR YOUR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIGOTRY THIS EASTER SUNDAY!!!!

Many other readers took aim at the critics:

JHC

To those who are insulted by this article,

If your faith is so weak that it cannot stand up to being looked at from an objective, historical, evidence based perspective, then this article is the least of your problems.

nomdefaitour

It is ironic that so many christians are "offended" at a dialogue about religion sponsored by CNN instead of greeting the opportunity to express their views. Perhaps they are shamed that we all know they are surfing the web when they should be worshipping on Easter Sunday.

Others weighed in on the merits and upshot of the debate over Jesus' existence:

JBOO

I do not doubt that a man named Jesus existed, and that he probably did preach about God. But I believe he was no different than any cult leader today that preaches about their own religious beliefs and gains a small number of followers. The difference with Jesus is that Christianity was already more wide spread, and the general population was very uneducated and easily influenced by a great orator. Do I actually believe their is a God, and Jesus is his son? No. But I'm sure the man existed.

Keith

It is actually more reasonable than not to conclude that Jesus was an actual living person. Whether or not he was "the Christ" is the only worthwhile point of debate. Regardless, many of the teachings of Jesus are worthy of people to take to heart whether they are Christians or not. As an agnostic, I take those things that are wise from any and all religions, and leave behind those things that are destructive.

gimmeslack12

I don't care whether he really existed or not. It's his story that never happened, at least the son of god part and dieing and coming back to life stuff. What matters to Christians is that he is a support system that is able to take the blame for all the bad stuff in your life so that you can move past them and continue living.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think Jesus really is a great thing, because it allows people to psychologically take pressure, grief or guilt and remove the effects of anxiety and pressure that those feelings create. On the flipside it possible allows someone to conjure up Love by themselves.

I think Jesus is a psychological whipping boy for all things that people don't have or can't (don't want to?) deal with. So I think atheists and non-Christians (heck, maybe Christians themselves) are missing the point about the importance of Jesus to some people.

The Twitter conversation over the article was mostly complimentary:

@JoshTheLink

Interesting debate from CNN's site about whether or not Jesus was a real person: https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c1

@CommonDescent

CNN asks: Did Jesus exist? https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c2 Honestly, this is a topic I don't know much about. I'd like to learn more.

@TTCNews

CNN interviews two Thoughtful Christian authors for this intriguing question–Craig A. Evans... http://fb.me/1idvhPxXD

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Easter • Jesus

soundoff (2,443 Responses)
  1. logan5

When are Christians going to get it through their heads that when their faith is critiqued, ridiculed, and questioned the smart thing for them to do is say nothing. The more they protest and play the persecuted victim the weaker their faith and the power of their god seems. If they're looking for respect, that's not the way to get it. If you truly believe you have the graces and backing of an all powerful supernatural being then act like it. Getting defensive and angry is not very convincing and only makes your entire belief system and your god look all the weaker.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • GentleGoodNight

The ends justify the means, right?

No reputable scholarly journal would publish this so-called "research." Why? Because there is ZERO dispute in the historical community and the civilized world at large. The data as to the birth of the man known as Jesus of Nazareth are BEYOND indisputable. The data is so well attested as to rended any such argument as being beyond laughable.

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Name

When Gandhi was asked if he was Hindu, his response was
      “Yes I am. I am also a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew."

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • tallulah13

GGN, if you have proof, please provide it. Everything written about Christ is nothing more than heresay written generations after his alleged life and death. If you have any real evidence, shouldn't you share it?

April 10, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  2. Name

One's faith can be weakened, but there is nothing that can break truth.

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • GentleGoodNight

But I guess on CNN's belief blog, any pseudo-scholar can post their pseudo-research so long at they meet an "ends justify the means" test. I guess you have to post your C .R. A. P. somewhere if peer-reviewed publications reject you. Sorry people, but the data is very clear that the man Jesus lived. As to who or what he was, rational minds differ in their subjective belief. But challenging his existence as a man would be kin to challenging the existence of the Holy Roman Emperor Charlamange.

April 10, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Name

Jesus command was that after he was gone, we should love one another. This is simple and all that is needed. Love

April 10, 2012 at 12:21 pm |
    • GentleGoodNight

That is just the problem, CNN. Your "small cadre of authors" challenging the existence of Jesus are KNOWN scholarly REJECTS. Your belief blog is fastly becomming of the equvilent of the Quibbler in the Harry Potter series.

What is the point to publishing the positions of a handful of rejects whose work is seen by the scholarly community at large as being entirely baseless and without merit? Might as well post the findings and "research" of bigfoot chasers. There is ZERO dispute in the civilized and scholarly community at large that the man Jesus actually existed. As to who or what he was is debatable, but to deny that he was a historical figure is the equivalent of posting an article that some crazy people still claim the the world is flat or some weirdos still believe the sun and universe revolve around the earth.

Just silly.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Eric G

Zero debate? To make absolute statements without supporting evidence is intellectually dishonest.

April 10, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Name

Faith is without evidence.

April 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • HellBent

" There is ZERO dispute in the civilized and scholarly community at large that the man Jesus actually existed."

If you limit the civil and scholarly community to only people who think with you and who's research agrees with your preconceived notion of the world, then I would agree with you.

April 10, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  3. Common Sense

After 17 years together, my husband and I get along just fine. Me = Agnostic, Him = Catholic. Peace is easy, we can even talk about religion. We simply don't try to convince each other that the other is wrong.

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Name

Truth is love. Love is accepting the difference in others.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Jon

I am impressed. Good for you guys. I dunno if I go could to Church for my spouse. Then again, if my spouse suddenly said Jonah was a real person and lived in a whale for 3 days, I think I would just turn around and walk away.

April 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • Common Sense

Oh no... I don't go to church. No way!

April 10, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  4. Rainer Braendlein

Faith cannot be grasped by reason, but merely by the Holy Spirit. Get born by Water and Spirit, get sacramentally baptized. Understand the mysteries of faith by the help of the Holy Spirit of God (infant baptism is valid; remember that).

A sermon by Dr. Dietrich Bonhoeffer (the greatest theologian of the last century):

I am the Lord, your Physician!

In the middle of the merry nature we see, how a paralyzed child is driven in a wheelchair. Somebody, who still has a heart, which is not insensible to his neighbour, he will realize in that moment that something is wrong with our world, that the world, in which such a torture and sadness is possible, cannot be the genuine creation of God. Something anti-divine must have befallen the world. The world has apostated from her genesis. Destroying powers have seized rule in this world.

Only in a world having become godless, there is malady. Because the world suffers from God, therefore there are sick people. Solely a world, which would be secure in God, a delivered world, would be without any malady. In the Bible we encounter a strange sentence: “12 And Asa in the thirty and ninth year of his reign was diseased in his feet, until his disease [was] exceeding [great]: yet in his disease he sought not to the LORD, but to the physicians.” (2. Chron. 16, 12). It is about a devout man there, which the Bible else gives high praise for his zeal, regarding God’s matter. But this man, despite his devoutness, thought very modern, so that he strictly distinguished between matters of religion, in which someone calls on God, and the earthly matters, in which someone asks for help at earthly bodies. Diseases, particularly physical diseases are earthly matters with earthly causes and earthly cures. Consequently diseases are matters of physicians, but not of God. How could someone be allowed to bother God, the Lord of the world, with his small physical maladies? God has other concerns.

That is thought pretty reasonable and maybe even religious. But it is wrong. Surely, diseases have their earthly causes and earthly cures. But with that is stated not at all everything and not the crucial thing about the essence of disease. For sure, the invalid shall call on a physician. But the most important thing is not done solely with that, and is not realized. Behind the earthly causes and cures there are supernatural causes and supernatural cures of the disease. As long as someone passes by thereon, someone lives, ignoring his disease, and doesn’t realize its essence. Its blessing or curse remain unrecognized.

The disease belongs to God in a special way. The Bible doesn’t blame a man for calling on a physician, when he is sick, but for not calling also on God. Not by chance, Christ lived noticeably close by the invalids, not by chance, blind man, paralytics, deaf-mutes, lepers, lunatics were irresistibly attracted by him and seeked his community. Why didn’t Christ send them to the physician? Surely not, in order to damage the reputation of the physicians or to present his own skills and suggestiv powers, but in order to make clear that God and malady and that Christ and invalids belong strongly together.

Christ wants to be the real physician of the invalids. “I am the Lord, your physician!” (Exodus 15, 26). God says that, Christ says that. The Creator and Deliverer of the world wants to be the physician of the invalid. Do we want to spurn this offer, after we have accepted so many less offers with more or less success?

One, who merely intuits the connection between God and malady, one, who takes serious the unexpected offer, can get a pointer to the sin of the human beings, to the destruction of the community of the creatures with their Creator.

Here are the supernatural reasons and abysses of the malady. It is the sin of the world and it is my personal sin, I get reminded. My disease doesn’t have to be the consequence of or the punishment for a certain sin, which I had to accuse myself of, that may happen, but it is not necessaryly the case. Yet every disease will let me look into the depth of the sin of the world and the depth of my personal godlessness. This look drives me to God. When I looked into the abyss (of my sin), I don’t first ask for redemption of this or that malady, but I will confess my longly hidden guilt in the face of God. The physical malady wants to show me that my actual malady goes much deeper, so deep that no earthly physician can cure it, because my actual disease is my sin. Not merely my body, my nerves, my temper is sick, but my whole essence, my heart is sick, sick by disbelieve, by fear, by the godlessness of my life. And which healthy man doesn’t suffer from that furtive and at the same time eerie disease?

Now I know that I can be helped, if my whole essence becomes healthy, safe and new. How can that happen? The answer is very simple and yet touches the ultimate depth of our life: by true private confession and by divine forgiveness of all my sins. That may seem to be a strange turn and solution of this question for some people, but yet only for someone, who has not yet experienced the cure of the whole man by confession and forgiveness. What is confession? To open up oneself with all one’s sins, weaknesses, vices, maladies to Jesus Christ and to give him the whole heart without any reservation, according to his command. That is not easy and may seem to us harder than a dangerous surgery. Normally, the most of us will need a fraternal helper for that, who assists us at confession, may it be the pastor holding an ecclesiastical office, may it be any member of the congregation, who knows more about Christ than I. What is forgiveness? Extinction of all my whole hopeless, messy, failed past (of which maybe only I know) by God’s decree and by the present of a new and happy beginning of my life.

Who can give me such a new beginning? Nobody else than solely the crucified and living Jesus Christ, who himself experienced the hopelessness of life on himself and overcame it in the communion of God. He is the sole physician, who knows my deepest malady, who himself has beared it. He is the saviour, who can cure heart, soul and body.

How is forgivness of sins connected with physical cure? More than the most people intuit. Of course it is a mysterious connection. But isn’t it at least so much comprehensible, that a man, who got again a happy and released heart, will get rid of some physical complaint? The body often becomes ill, because it is not ruled, because it has become its own Lord. But now the body has get again his right Lord, who rules it. The body is no longer the Lord. It is only tool, even more than that, it has become “temple of the Holy Spirit”. There are many maladies, which are not visibly subdued and eradicated by the assurance of forgiveness. But the hidden connection of received forgiveness and physical cure can become visible in such a way that medical limits are bursted, and the physicians face a mystery. One is sure: The faith is a source for cure like the disbelief is a source for destruction and sickness of the body and the soul.

When Christ calls himself the physician of the invalid, then the divine mercy shines upon every invalid. The sick one belongs to God. At him God wants to materialize his salvation. In the ill brother we encounter God’s mercy, who is the physician of the invalid in Jesus Christ. The sick man wants cure, but Christ gives him more: Salvation.

Originator of the above sermon: Dr. Dietrich Bonhoeffer (in my eyes, he is a king)

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • PEDO-BEAR

Cliff Notes please...

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • Roger Ramjet

Another Rainy Braindead vowel movement.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  5. pat

If Jesus was a real person, did he smell like all the other people 2000 years ago?

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  6. Atheist > Fairy Tales

I'm an atheist. There may have been a man named Jesus. Heck, there is a full country of them south of the US border. But I would deny that he performed miracles, and that he is the son of an invisible bearded guy in the sky.

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Name

The miracles were only for those with weak faith. Jesus preached love and non violence. This is also what many do not follow.

April 10, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  7. vJ

why challenge Christianity all the time? I know why, because non-believers fear it sooo much! they are afraid.. because deep down in their hearts they know its all real. they wont do this to other religions. go figure.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Roger Ramjet

No, it is because Christians are activly trying to force their religion into the politics and laws of the land. You are forcing your ridiculous superstitions into the schools.

If you minded your own business, we would not care at all.

Fear? HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA! HA!

Uh, no.

April 10, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • Jon

Lol. Atheists don't like any religion. The only difference is, Christianity has some of the most irritating followers. They are among the most stubborn, least educated, bigoted group in the world who refuse to look at facts.

Atheists just want people to believe the truth. The problem is, even with all the evidence and ridiculousless of the Bible, Christians aren't going to change their adamant silly position.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • JonnyJive5

All religions are a scam. Not just Christianity.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • Theism is not healthy for your sanity and other reasonable things

LOL, really? Because this atheist is pretty much convinced none of you believers actually believe the bull you're shoveling.

April 10, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • pat

Because it was you people that changed the Pledge of Allegiance to include a reference to the supernatural.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • DMo

Um, no. I think it has more to do with the fact that a large number of people in this country want to push their faith-based values on to those who don't share them. This makes those who do not believe your religion want to question/debunk it.

April 10, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • hunter

i dont deny it because i fear it..i deny it because you have no proof

April 10, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

o' woest me... I am christian and o' so persecuted... waah. get over your delusions. your religion is just as stupid and pointless as all the rest, except for the Norse religion of course. LOL.

April 10, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • logan5

So because atheists challenge Christianity then that somehow means they believe in Christianity?? That makes absolutely no sense and I'm not surprised. As a non believer I think I can speak for most atheists when I say that what they fear is Christianity being imposed on them through government legislation. You are selfish, insensitive, and lacking in critical thought. Oh so typical!

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • JT

Thank you!!! From all the comments out there this is the one that makes more sense! And its respectful!! What happened to respecting religions ?? Atheist we could care less if you don't have a religion, but for those that do learn how to respect! If you believe keep believing and if you don't just let it be!!!! If your Muslim, Jew, Hebrew , Buddhism whatever please respect ! That is what we Christians do when it comes towards other regions. Whatever religion or non religion you may be we ask one thing and its to respect ours............... respect our belief of Jesus the son of god, Christianity !!!!!!!

April 10, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • Dess

Hi There.

I just felt like replying to your comment. Like many Christians would likely agree, there are unfortunately a few people out there who can make the larger sum look bad. While some atheists or agnostic peoples would attack Christianity, most do not and generally just want to live their lives in peace. I myself am agnostic and my partner is an Atheist.

Perhaps American Atheists and Agnostics seem to focus more on Christianity than most other religions due to the fact it is a more predominant religion in our nation. Additionally, who knows how many speak out in nations that believe in Islam for fear for their lives. I myself take great pride in being raised in various Christian beliefs and the great advantage is from the stories that can help you lead a better life. I do believe Jesus was a man that helped many struggling and oppressed people in a difficult time deal with the situations they were in an to work on improving their lives and their community around them. My greatest unhappiness would be the level region has grown to in many places where the religion has consumed some peoples lives rather than being a foundation to build and improve from.

Of course this is my opinion but again I do not believe that this diminishes the life that Jesus was believed to have lived and there really is not much contest to his impact on peoples lives. Lastly, I want to apologize if you feel attacked by people who do not believe, this is definitely not their place and perhaps they should focus on improving their own lives rather than tearing down others to make themselves feel higher.

April 10, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • sam stone

Actually, vJ, it is because Christians are soooo frigging interested in getting their religious views codified in our civil law that is the reason that they are challenged .

April 10, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

"That is what we Christians do when it comes towards other regions." What a blatant lie. And haven't you ever heard the phrase "respect is earned, not given."

April 10, 2012 at 12:54 pm |
    • sam stone

JT: Christians trying to codify their religious beliefs into national policy is what ticks people off and loses them respect. If Christians would have their belief and leave it at that, there would not be this level of vitriol directed their way

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  8. Alicia Townes

Everybody is entilted to their opinion, after all this is a country of freedom of religion

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Eric G

Until their opinion infringes on the liberties of others.

April 10, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  9. curtis

Remember, the Easter bunny died on the cross for your sins.

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • PEDO-BEAR

I thought it was a leprachaun.

April 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • JonnyJive5

Haha, that actually wouldn't be any more ridiculous than some other parts of the Bible.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  10. joe martin

It would be interesting to know the religion of the editor of these article...............

April 10, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • tallulah13

Why? Does it alter the facts in any way? Or do you simply discount the words of those who don't share your personal belief, despite the evidence they provide?

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • PEDO-BEAR

Heaven's Gate?

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • Elvira Gulch

YEAH! It was a balanced article with both sides represented by articulate thoughtful authorities. What an atheist hit piece!

I am convinced that most of the Christians posting on this never go to CNN, except they heard about this from some Christian website and are flocking here to express outrage at an article they didn't bother to read.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  11. WillieFDiazSF

My thought is this... WHO THE HELL CARES? Who cares if Jesus was or wasnt the son of "GOD". No one can prove or disprove it anyway, since no one can prove a God exists(ed) or not. Most of all for me, if you wanna believe in your faith, you also must understand others faiths as well. So.. with that said, I dont see any Mohammad stories (cause they are all stories here now) on Ramadan. I dont see any Holocaust stories showing how Jews were persecuted during this time in Germany either.
    What I do see is a lot of people who are Christian upset, a lot of Agnostics being labeled Athiests incorrectly and a lot of bickering between something that happened 2000+ years ago that really doesnt help the progression of humanity, science, and understanding. Im sure if Jesus lived the last 2000 years (which he should have being the son of God and all, right?) he would have lived through wars, civilization changing, and would urge us all to move forward and become something for ourselves rather than worrying about some spaghetti monster in the sky that if it hypothetically exists, simply doesnt care about us anyway.

April 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • tallulah13

If you are paying attention at all to the current political climate in the U.S., you will understand why it is an important question.

April 10, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • AC

You will care very soon because the truth is about to be reveal. Warning "don't be left behing because of your human views" it is not going to be pretty. What is going on with this world is not a coincidence, it suppose to happen. It is not going to get better, it will get worst, make sure you are ready.

April 10, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • Lucifer's Evil Twin

@AC – your idiocy is blinding

April 10, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  12. Objectively Moderate

Being a true Christian has always been about faith. Do you believe that God sent his son to die a horrendous death in order to pay for the sins of the world and was Jesus resurrected on the third day, thus defeating death and giving those who believe in him eternal life? For those who truly believe, no supposed fact will ever change their minds. For those who don't believe, no supposed facts will ever provide the proof. I don't understand why people feel they have to argue this. Treat the believer and the non believer the same–with as much respect and love as you can. As for CNN running this article during Easter, I can only ask why they would run this article during Easter and would CNN run this same type of article for the other religions on the other religions major celebration. In doing research, all I can say is that they have done this for Christianity and they haven't yet for any other religion.

April 10, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • PEDO-BEAR

"I don't understand why people feel they have to argue this."

Because! Its fun to watch the christian sheep QQ over it!

April 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  13. Political Gods

I'm tired of god ...but I like Jesus!

April 10, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • PEDO-BEAR

Oooh...I love this game!
      Tired is to god as your like is to Jesus.
      Thus...
      The pope is to Chistians as priests are to boys.
      😛

April 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  14. Name

The media is not a source for truth. So why get upset?

April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • PEDO-BEAR

The same can be said about Wikipedia, yet people still use it. 😉

April 10, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Horus

In this case the "media", ie CNN presented both sides of a debate, complete with sources. What's wrong with that? Fear people might actually read non-biblical sources to understand the debate? Oh dear, how tragic. People might seek truth beyond what they are told.

April 10, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • Name

Truth is found in your heart and will differ slightly for each individual, but yet ultimately is equal. Knowledge is factual and cannot be changed through faith alone. Religion is a fact just like the media is and can also be a religion if enough people are involved to classify it as so. It can be changed and decieved. Truth is what is always is, was, and will be.

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

lol, if truth exists in all our hearts and can change depending on the individual, i'm not sure if what you're talking about is 'truth.'

April 10, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Name

Each individual is different, so each truth will be percieved as different. But ultimately it is all the same. The fact that truth can be broken is only an illusion.

April 10, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
  15. PEDO-BEAR

The day Christians stop trying to cram their cannibalistic ideals down society's throat is the day I finally stop bashing their kool-aid drinking ways!

April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • AC

April 10, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • jason

Christians are not trying to force their religion on anyone. What I do see is a progressive atheistic movement in this country forcing their beliefs on Christians! i.e., A Catholic Hospital having provide birth control against its beliefs.

April 10, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • itsjustme

"I look forward to that day when all knees shall bow down to Him and all tongue confess that He is Lord of little lords, and King of little kings. At this time it will be too late for you."

That sounds like a very Christian way to feel! You want persecution for the people who don't follow your beliefs. I thought a Christian was to love all people. Another moronic and hypocritical statement from a true "Christian"

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • AC

I do love everyone. At time we are not cold as Christian but everyone tend to make fun of us while excepting any other belief. There is a bottom line for being a Christian, one day the truth will be reveal and I look forward to that day when Christians are proof right. I do hope that person find the Lord soon. If I tried to let him know the truth as usual, we as Christians will be forcing our belief on them. We only tell people about the Lord because we have been ordered to do so by Jesus Himself.

April 10, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • itsjustme

yes Jason, Christians are and have always tried forcing their beliefs on us non-Christians. I don't follow any group. I simply don't believe. I am not one to go around forcing my non-beliefs down everyones throats. I believe that everyone has a right to believe whatever they choose to believe. I don't condemn a Christian for their beliefs, I condemn them for trying to tell me that my beliefs are wrong. Otherwise, I wouldn't even talk about it. If believing in something gives you peace in your life, so be it. Everyone has to have something to help them get that peace. If you choose to believe in a god, thats fine, just don't condemn me for choosing not to.

April 10, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  16. Marcelino

To all that claim that God does not exist, and Jesus did not exist. Tell us what do you see wrong on the actual teachings?
    Is it wrong to love each other?, is it wrong to help others?, is it wrong to teach: "do not to kill?, is it wrong to teach do not be lazy? and many other teachings.....I can go on and on.........
    On all posts, al I see is selfishness trying to prove human points of view. Sit , relax and think: What are you in this world for? and then ask yourself: What is to be happy for me?............I hope your answer is not selfish?
    God bless you.

April 10, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Horus

You are cherry-picking the "good". Beliefs that most all reasonable people could arrive at without the "God" part.

April 10, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Political Gods

Jesus's message became NON-useful when ESOteric teachings where caste out of the church and EXOteric teachings installed in order to put the church into business... you can thank Mr. Constantine and the Council of Trent for that. now its all about self ... because you live your life externally, and that is Bad, Bad medicine!

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • GentleGoodNight

Horus, and belief in magic primodial pool where inanimate rocks and matter humped each other to create the first complex strand of DNA are reasonable?

Please.

April 10, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  17. PEDO-BEAR

There is only one god and ZOD is his name! Kneel before Zod!

April 10, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  18. GentleGoodNight

CNN won't let me post a comment?

The data that exists which supports the actualy historocity of the man known as Jesus of Nazareth are overwhelming. No reputable scholar nor department of history in the world would declare that Jesus of Nazareth did no live. No article would pass scrutiny of peer-review. Anyone who attempted such a publication would become the subject of ridicule.

Poor reporting at its best, blantant attempts to promote falshoods at its worst.

April 10, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • BRC

And yet, there are many recognized, reputable, adn respectable sources that say exactly that. Of those groups that do attest to the historical Jesus actually existing, the more well researched and considerate sources agree that he was not born in December, Christianity is wrong about that. Additionally, many groups believe that the "man" believed to be the preacher of these beliefs who walked and spoke and gained a following wasn't named Jesus, they changed that later.

Point is, anything that well proven wouldn't have this many variations.

April 10, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • GentleGoodNight

You are so wrong. There are ZERO reputable sources, which is why that have to pander their research to pseudo-journalism blogs like CNN belief. Why? Because such claims would never pass the scrutiny of peer-review.

Go get a degree instead of professing your knowledge of a subject you know nothing about.

April 10, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

I think the issue is one of was jesus actually jesus? Did he even do the things we read about in the bible, or was he an inspiration or pawn piece for the religious powers that be?

To most observers, the fact that jesus could perform miracles should cast doubt on what we know about him. It would be different if jesus himself had written something, instead of people writing it down in his name after his death.

was there a man named jesus, no doubt. Did he live a remarkably similar life to Mathias, probably not. So it wouldn't be unreasonable to think that what we know of jesus is hyperbole or exaggeration, or perhaps a combination of stories, combination of multiple people even.

it was a valid point to bring up, if perhaps poorly timed.

April 10, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • BRC

@GentleGoodNight,
      IT's called the Christ Myth theory, and while its following is MUCH smaller than the group that recognizes the existence of historical Jesus, it does exist, and it does make some good points.

April 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  19. JM

The fact of the matter is it doesn't matter if someone believes or doesn't believe in Jesus; that doesn't eithe bring him into existence or negate his existence. If he lived–and was in fact who he said he was–that has consequences that God-deniers don't seem to have contemplated.

I believe in God; I believe in Christ. I have seen His power in my life and in that of others too often to be able to deny He exists. It's when I choose to ignore Him that I don't feel His presence in my life. The Bible is very clear that he will be found by those who seek Him.

One day, whether we want to or not, we will know. => Unfortunately, at that point, we will have made our choice and He will accept that choice.

April 10, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • 1nd3p3nd3nt

mormons believe we can choose to believe after the fact, thus the baptisms after death.

April 10, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • DMo

So, in other words, we should believe because it's "better safe than sorry"?

Also, the whole don't-give-any-proof-but-let-them-choose-for-themselves-with-eternal-consequences thing doesn't really sound like the actions of a just and loving god. More like a vain, sadistic one.

April 10, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • JM

DMo: I agree to some extent; I wish He would make Himself known to us as well. The Bible says He doesn't because He actually wants people to turn to Him. If He had come back 1000 years ago, none of us would have been around. We wouldn't have existed. If He was mad at all of us, He would have annihilated the world long ago rather than letting new generations come into being.

However, there are proofs: prayer, faith, which is why so many people believe despite God not showing up in a blaze of glory.

April 10, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
  20. Matt

CNN you have gone too far. Enough is enough. Jesus was born, did die on the cross, period. Wow, get some faith people.

April 10, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • ...

em get back to class...stop pretending you are someone else...stupid girl

April 10, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Elvira Gulch

You didn't bother to read the article, did you?

April 10, 2012 at 11:58 am |