home
RSS
Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers
Jesus depicted healing a sick child.
April 8th, 2012

Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers

Our story on a small cadre of authors challenging the existence of Jesus Christ drew almost 5,000 comments on Easter Sunday, with some upset that we did the story, others objecting to its publication on Easter, and plenty of others defending the article and the run date and debating the merits and implications of the debate.

Of course, most comments had nothing to do with our story, revolving instead around the debate about legitimacy of religion itself.

A sampling of the criticism:

Easter on CNN

You've gone too far.

While I am an advocate of spiritual exploration – by atheists to disprove or by the faithful to validate – running an article questioning the very core of a religious belief system on a holy day is indelicate, to say the least. Will you question that Muhammad received the word of God, running similar articles during Ramadan? Or on Yom Kippur, draw on conjecture to argue that the Book of Life is for fools?

This is not journalism. This sensationalist pander.

edeveryday

I would like to see if CNN would dare run a story saying that Muhammad was a "myth" on the Muslim' s holiest holidays and that Abraham was a "myth" on the Jewish holidays. Go ahead CNN and give it a try and see what happens.

rbsrs

Every Easter?...I mean why a negative story every Easter?? It has become a running joke.

ANGRY AT CNN!!!

CNN: IF YOU READ THIS GO TO HELL FOR YOUR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIGOTRY THIS EASTER SUNDAY!!!!

Many other readers took aim at the critics:

JHC

To those who are insulted by this article,

If your faith is so weak that it cannot stand up to being looked at from an objective, historical, evidence based perspective, then this article is the least of your problems.

nomdefaitour

It is ironic that so many christians are "offended" at a dialogue about religion sponsored by CNN instead of greeting the opportunity to express their views. Perhaps they are shamed that we all know they are surfing the web when they should be worshipping on Easter Sunday.

Others weighed in on the merits and upshot of the debate over Jesus' existence:

JBOO

I do not doubt that a man named Jesus existed, and that he probably did preach about God. But I believe he was no different than any cult leader today that preaches about their own religious beliefs and gains a small number of followers. The difference with Jesus is that Christianity was already more wide spread, and the general population was very uneducated and easily influenced by a great orator. Do I actually believe their is a God, and Jesus is his son? No. But I'm sure the man existed.

Keith

It is actually more reasonable than not to conclude that Jesus was an actual living person. Whether or not he was "the Christ" is the only worthwhile point of debate. Regardless, many of the teachings of Jesus are worthy of people to take to heart whether they are Christians or not. As an agnostic, I take those things that are wise from any and all religions, and leave behind those things that are destructive.

gimmeslack12

I don't care whether he really existed or not. It's his story that never happened, at least the son of god part and dieing and coming back to life stuff. What matters to Christians is that he is a support system that is able to take the blame for all the bad stuff in your life so that you can move past them and continue living.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think Jesus really is a great thing, because it allows people to psychologically take pressure, grief or guilt and remove the effects of anxiety and pressure that those feelings create. On the flipside it possible allows someone to conjure up Love by themselves.

I think Jesus is a psychological whipping boy for all things that people don't have or can't (don't want to?) deal with. So I think atheists and non-Christians (heck, maybe Christians themselves) are missing the point about the importance of Jesus to some people.

The Twitter conversation over the article was mostly complimentary:

@JoshTheLink

Interesting debate from CNN's site about whether or not Jesus was a real person: https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c1

@CommonDescent

CNN asks: Did Jesus exist? https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c2 Honestly, this is a topic I don't know much about. I'd like to learn more.

@TTCNews

CNN interviews two Thoughtful Christian authors for this intriguing question–Craig A. Evans... http://fb.me/1idvhPxXD

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Easter • Jesus

soundoff (2,443 Responses)
  1. icons design

Certainly. And I have faced it. Let's discsus this question.

hpixel

September 23, 2012 at 8:52 am |
  2. icon pack

I consider, that you are not right. I am assured. Let's discuss it. Write to me in PM.

P.S. Please review Check options Icon from email-icon-set

September 19, 2012 at 11:00 pm |
  3. Nellah Bailey

Yeshua is very real. I am a born-again believer ... I do not participate in christmas or easter or any other man-made "Christian" holiday. I stay away from organized churches. I do not argue with nonbelievers. I'm sad that these people can't, just once, open their hearts and see what we claim is true. But, to each his own. Want to criticize me? I don't care what you say, I know the truth.

September 19, 2012 at 6:14 am |
  4. Ashley

Jesus Christ that Christians worship and love is God incarnate. The Jesus of the Koran is not the real Jesus. And Muhammad was a false prophet. Jesus Christ is God incarnate. Islam is a wicked religion and they're Pagans. Muslims worship the fake moon god called Allah, and he is NOT the God of Israel. Jesus Christ is God and I'll prove it. And I can't believe not many know this. How can you not know, you can feel Jesus the Christ tugging on your heart. If you're Jewish, please read this..

Amos 8:9 Fulfilled
    Psalm 22:1 Fulfilled in Matthew 27:46
    Psalm 23 is all about Jesus Christ

Psalm 22:15,69:21 Fulfilled “They pierced my hands and my feet”: Psalm 22:16, since when were King David's hands and feet ever pierced? Never. He lived to a full age and died well stricken in years. That is about Jesus Christ. The promised Messiah to the Jews. He trusted in the Lord, let him rescue him, let him deliver him, since he delights in him!” (22:7-8 ) And when they crucified him, they divided his garments, casting lots for them . . . . (Mark 15:24; Matt 27:35; Luke 23:34; John 19:24)

Isaiah 53:4-5
    Isaiah 53:9
    Isaiah 53:12
    12 Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors. < Jesus Christ was between two criminals on the cross. All these things were fulfilled. Luke 23:39

Genesis 3:15

Oh and side note... when God said He was going to raise up a prophet like Moses, well, Moses wanted to die for the Children of Israel, but could not take their sins away, because he was a man and all humans sin, when Jesus Christ did it, He had never ever sinned, Jesus Christ is God incarnate. Seek Him, Seek Jesus Christ, is it any wonder more Jews are embracing the Messiah? That was predicted too.

Romans 11:11 I say then, Have they stumbled that they should fall? God forbid: but rather through their fall salvation is come unto the Gentiles, for to provoke them to jealousy.

Also read the Old Testament where God says He would turn to the Gentiles. See, Jesus Christ is God, the Great I AM THAT I AM, the ALMIGHTY. Jesus Christ is God as the SON. He was not created, Jesus Christ is the First and the Last. But Jews, be careful because Satan, the enemy of God will try and use the Muslims to kill Jews and Christians in these last times, the Muslims need to be awaken as well. See the savior in the Koran , is the anti-Christ to the Christians. We Christians read from the King James Version, the Holy Bible. There are other versions, but if you speak English then I recommend the KJV. Its truth comes from Antioch.

John the Baptist was the voice of one crying in the desert.,.. remember, Jews? Isiah 40:3 The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the LORD, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

This was fulfilled in John 1:23 He said, I am the voice of one crying in the wilderness, Make straight the way of the Lord, as said the prophet Esaias. Esaias is Isaiah. John the Baptist (baptizer) was sent out before Jesus Christ, the Messiah. The only BEGOTTEN SON of the Living God.

More proof
    Deuteronomy18:15-19
    Genesis 49:8-10 “Judah, you are he whom your brothers shall praise;
    Your hand shall be on the neck of your enemies;
    Your father’s children shall bow down before you.
    9 Judah is a lion’s whelp;
    From the prey, my son, you have gone up.
    He bows down, he lies down as a lion;
    And as a lion, who shall rouse him?
    10 The scepter shall not depart from Judah,
    Nor a lawgiver from between his feet,
    Until Shiloh comes;
    And to Him shall be the obedience of the people. < The scepter will never depart from Judah, Jesus Christ is the King of kings Lord of lords, when He comes back, all will know. Jesus Christ is the Lion of Judah, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace..

It hurts my heart when Jews say that Jesus Christ isn't for them, and I was a Gentile. I'm Christian, (but there is no Jew, nor Gentile in Christ Jesus).. You will be part of the church, the body of Christ and your body will be the temple of the Living God. The God of Israel doesn't dwell in man-made things. Jesus Christ is the Messiah you have all been waiting for and most of your ancestors didn't recognize Him when they saw Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ made Himself a little lower than the angels. He came to redeem us all.

Zechariah 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass. < Fulfilled in Luke 19:31 and Luke 19:33 Please read for yourself in Luke. And they that were sent went their way, and found even as he had said unto them.As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, "Why are you untying the colt?"

John 1:29 about Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ is for everyone, Jews and Gentiles alike. Remember how the Jews of then said to let His blood be on them and on their children? Matthew 27:25 Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children. ...... Matthew 27:26 Then released he Barabbas unto them: and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered him to be crucified. Well, the Jewish people have gone through some very very tough times. But can't you see the overwhelming evidence here? I plead with the Jewish people to accept Jesus the Christ, He is God incarnate. Jesus Christ lived a sinless life, He died for the sins of the world, and three days later rose from the dead. Jesus Christ is God the Son, and sits at the right hand of the Father.

August 9, 2012 at 8:24 pm |

String.out.printIn("this is my world. Jesus Christ is my victory;");
    }
    }*/
    global is the set rules.

August 5, 2012 at 7:36 am |
  7. Edossa

Class good by Devil, evil and lusfer{
    Public string void main(string args[]){
    String.out.printIn("good by Devil, evil and lusfer!");
    }
    }

August 5, 2012 at 7:22 am |
  8. Edossa

Jesus Christ was born for us due to Angels were fake made on human. The true sheeper that not left sheep in to wolf is Jesus Christ.

July 18, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  9. Edossa

\*Jesus Christ histry always new, but now. Illuminati brillian world. I believe in Jesus Christ. Histry is not end.*/

July 14, 2012 at 2:06 am |
  10. Edossa

July 14, 2012 at 1:57 am |
  11. Edossa

\*Jesus Christ lode our lode or sin to abedicate and cruside to live us his natural world or state by freedom, peace, love and kind. Our leaders face this load alrady avoided. I am not accessepit this lode. Jesus Christ is kind and make stile new world.*/

July 10, 2012 at 6:43 am |
  12. Edossa

July 10, 2012 at 6:38 am |
  13. Who invited me?

Edossa

Do your prayers get answered when they are so unbelievably misspelled? And I know Jesus was illiterate,but maybe you could use an English class.

July 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

I think that she is speaking in tongues.

July 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
    • Who invited me?

IBadger...I have never heard of anyone typing in tongues.
      We MUST be witnessing a miracle
      Praise Superman

July 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  14. Edossa

\*Christ lead us to face your serendar and our serender; my soul is dominated i am not stasfiy to bless, song and can't say you are my almight. I need your freedom and internal life to live by peace. I like to fight to face my serend lead me. Power from you you are lord of magic man. No one strong to stand infront of you. You know those inforce me with my dicay in to you. Cleen me giving your knowlage for me. Make me peace between me and your nature. Maranata Jesus Christ. Amen.*/

July 3, 2012 at 2:59 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

Wow, just wow.

You do know that there is a strong correlation between the lack of an education and religiosity don’t you?

No, probably not.

July 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • Who invited me?

Honey Badger
      I'm pretty sure he can't hear you over the voices in his head

July 3, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  15. Edossa

July 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

English mother fvcker, do you speak it?

July 3, 2012 at 2:47 pm |
    • Honey Badger Dont Care

They speak English in what?

July 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm |
  16. Edossa

Christ lead us to face your serendar and our serender; my soul is dominated i am not stasfiy to bless, song and can't say you are my almight. I need your freedom and internal life to live by peace. I like to fight to face my serend lead me. Power from you you are lord of magic man. No one strong to stand infront of you. You know those inforce me with my dicay in to you. Cleen me giving your knowlage for me. Make me peace between me and your nature. Amen.

July 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm |
  17. Edossa

Jesus Christ is my Almight. Christ is his element of soul born with him. Jesus is Christ. Christ say end of azard life on Cirrose to live us with him in kind world him. Christ brave for his peoples.

July 2, 2012 at 11:00 am |
  18. Edossa

July 2, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  19. Edossa

July 2, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  20. Edossa

God made discremination among peoples; devil observe this and go to God why God left others people focous on only Eyob and his family to pansh Eyob. God say ok for devil gentical giving paciance for Eyob. After Isreal people pass azard life God to amend him self send his son and come to the world. Jesus born and growth took that azard life evoking about his people and made disign in natural world. Jesus answer and abidicate devils' alart. He say one sheepers from 100 sheep if one disaper lefting 99 come to the world to find one sheep. Now Isreal implemanting this one life preciousing. If one parson of Isreal arest, isreal to off her citizen many peoples of others citizen exchange making off from prsinor. Like Isreal i am sensetive for oromo people. I has and also believe in the son of God Jesus Christ.

June 26, 2012 at 8:21 am |