home
RSS
Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers
Jesus depicted healing a sick child.
April 8th, 2012

Your take: Comments on Jesus deniers

Our story on a small cadre of authors challenging the existence of Jesus Christ drew almost 5,000 comments on Easter Sunday, with some upset that we did the story, others objecting to its publication on Easter, and plenty of others defending the article and the run date and debating the merits and implications of the debate.

Of course, most comments had nothing to do with our story, revolving instead around the debate about legitimacy of religion itself.

A sampling of the criticism:

Easter on CNN

You've gone too far.

While I am an advocate of spiritual exploration – by atheists to disprove or by the faithful to validate – running an article questioning the very core of a religious belief system on a holy day is indelicate, to say the least. Will you question that Muhammad received the word of God, running similar articles during Ramadan? Or on Yom Kippur, draw on conjecture to argue that the Book of Life is for fools?

This is not journalism. This sensationalist pander.

edeveryday

I would like to see if CNN would dare run a story saying that Muhammad was a "myth" on the Muslim' s holiest holidays and that Abraham was a "myth" on the Jewish holidays. Go ahead CNN and give it a try and see what happens.

rbsrs

Every Easter?...I mean why a negative story every Easter?? It has become a running joke.

ANGRY AT CNN!!!

CNN: IF YOU READ THIS GO TO HELL FOR YOUR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BIGOTRY THIS EASTER SUNDAY!!!!

Many other readers took aim at the critics:

JHC

To those who are insulted by this article,

If your faith is so weak that it cannot stand up to being looked at from an objective, historical, evidence based perspective, then this article is the least of your problems.

nomdefaitour

It is ironic that so many christians are "offended" at a dialogue about religion sponsored by CNN instead of greeting the opportunity to express their views. Perhaps they are shamed that we all know they are surfing the web when they should be worshipping on Easter Sunday.

Others weighed in on the merits and upshot of the debate over Jesus' existence:

JBOO

I do not doubt that a man named Jesus existed, and that he probably did preach about God. But I believe he was no different than any cult leader today that preaches about their own religious beliefs and gains a small number of followers. The difference with Jesus is that Christianity was already more wide spread, and the general population was very uneducated and easily influenced by a great orator. Do I actually believe their is a God, and Jesus is his son? No. But I'm sure the man existed.

Keith

It is actually more reasonable than not to conclude that Jesus was an actual living person. Whether or not he was "the Christ" is the only worthwhile point of debate. Regardless, many of the teachings of Jesus are worthy of people to take to heart whether they are Christians or not. As an agnostic, I take those things that are wise from any and all religions, and leave behind those things that are destructive.

gimmeslack12

I don't care whether he really existed or not. It's his story that never happened, at least the son of god part and dieing and coming back to life stuff. What matters to Christians is that he is a support system that is able to take the blame for all the bad stuff in your life so that you can move past them and continue living.

I was thinking about it the other day, and I think Jesus really is a great thing, because it allows people to psychologically take pressure, grief or guilt and remove the effects of anxiety and pressure that those feelings create. On the flipside it possible allows someone to conjure up Love by themselves.

I think Jesus is a psychological whipping boy for all things that people don't have or can't (don't want to?) deal with. So I think atheists and non-Christians (heck, maybe Christians themselves) are missing the point about the importance of Jesus to some people.

The Twitter conversation over the article was mostly complimentary:

@JoshTheLink

Interesting debate from CNN's site about whether or not Jesus was a real person: https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c1

@CommonDescent

CNN asks: Did Jesus exist? https://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/04/07/the-jesus-debate-man-vs-myth/?hpt=hp_c2 Honestly, this is a topic I don't know much about. I'd like to learn more.

@TTCNews

CNN interviews two Thoughtful Christian authors for this intriguing question–Craig A. Evans... http://fb.me/1idvhPxXD

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Christianity • Easter • Jesus

soundoff (2,443 Responses)
  1. Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's so sad that a vegetable like Chard is unable to process the idea that it is not a given that the unknown MUST mean there's a god.

If there were, said god would grant Chard a brain adequate to provide a rational argument in support of its existence.

Why, Chard, is your 'god' unable to render you believable? Or even something other than laughable?

April 9, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
    • Leo

Tom, Are you seriously trying to impress people with your supposed intelligence? Go away and find some cats to kick somewhere.

You are a hopeless fool, that can only find some form of satisfaction in degrading Christians. We feel your pain!!

April 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

as opposed to the wonderful things christians say about atheists. the bible says to KILL atheists. a divine order from god. yeah, christians sure are nice to us...

April 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • Leo

The Bible doesn't say that at all!! Your a stinking liar, show me the verse!!

April 9, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Poor Leo. I'm sorry you're so hurt by my challenges.

Too bad you can't come up with any answers to them, but it's hardly a surprise, considering you're an idiot.

April 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You know what, Leo? If you can provide answers to the questions I've asked, go right ahead. I'll be happy to listen. Please provide verifiable evidence other than the Bible.

I'll be waiting with bated breath.

April 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • Leo

Your hopeless Tom and you know it, but the cool thing is the Bible told us way ahead of time about servants such as you so that we can rejoice in your feeble attempts.

April 9, 2012 at 9:44 pm |
    • Leo

Tom, the evidence of God is all around you, but you are to blind to see. You see a BMW and you can say great engineering, yet you look at the human brain and come to the conclusion Dumb Lick. That says it all.

Romans 1

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse. 21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened. 22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

April 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Come on, Leotard. Why must there be some answer as to how the universe began and why must it be "goddidit"? Why is it necessary to assign credit for such to some invisible sky-fairy? Why is it so hard for you and the Chard to acknowledge that the unknown is simply not known as yet? Why are you so insecure that you can't admit there's not some easy explanation for everything right now?

You poor little dweeb. I'm so sad for you that you lack the ability to tolerate the idea that we don't yet know everything and yet aren't so desperate we must ascribe every unknown to some invisible creature.

April 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • Leo

Dumb lick, Dumb Luck, the God of Evelution all the same....

April 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Oh, please, you knucklehead. If a car is the best analogy you can manage, just surrender now. Anyone can watch an engineer complete plans and drawings for a car, you fucling idiot.

Go ahead and show how that relates to the universe.

If there WERE a god, he'd have made you with a brain.

April 9, 2012 at 9:50 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It's "too" blind, you half-wit.

Really, if there were a god, wouldn't he have given you the ability to get a clue?

April 9, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Leo

Tom, you are just a child in a mans body.. your silly name calling is too funny, but I am sure you are greatly impressed with yourself.

Tom answer one question, just one What is your hope in Life?

April 9, 2012 at 9:52 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

@Leo

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

there's one, want more? i find it hilarious that atheists have to tell christians what their book says.

April 9, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

You bozo, I'm a woman. I have a Master's degree. I'm over 50. I am successful, happily married, and in need of nothing.

Go ahead and impress me with your acu men, you twit.

April 9, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

A moron who can't even write a complete sentence without at least two egregious grammatical or syntactical errors is hardly equipped to question my 'goals' in life, you friggin' moron.

April 9, 2012 at 9:57 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the first 4 commandments in the 10 commandments are about worshiping god:

1 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage. You shall have no other gods before Me.
      2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments.
      3 “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.
      4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

April 9, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

and what is the punishment for not following the laws given by god to noah:

LEVITICUS 26
      Punishment for Disobedience
      14 “‘But if you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands, 15 and if you reject my decrees and abhor my laws and fail to carry out all my commands and so violate my covenant, 16 then I will do this to you: I will bring on you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and sap your strength. You will plant seed in vain, because your enemies will eat it. 17 I will set my face against you so that you will be defeated by your enemies; those who hate you will rule over you, and you will flee even when no one is pursuing you.

April 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Leo

Funk, Those were not atheist they were Israel Gods chosen people that turned away to false Gods.

April 9, 2012 at 10:00 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

So funny to watch the uneducated, like Leo, attempt to impersonate a sentient being.

Really, dude, if you don't know when to use capitals, honey, you are worthy of ridicule and scorn. I have no time for you and your silly beliefs. You aren't bright enough or educated enough to show me anything at all, least of all any reason to believe what you do, you dolt.

April 9, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
    • Leo

Tom come on and answer what is your HOPE? Tell us all the great hope of Tom Tom!!

April 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm |
    • just sayin

I'm feeling Leo's pain in my sphincter. I may be bleeding. just sayin.

April 9, 2012 at 10:04 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

guess you can't read too well:
      everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death

yes, that's any non-christian, but that DEFINITELY includes atheists. i guess you're saying we shouldn't feel special? christians should kill all non-christians, not just atheists. lol.

April 9, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Leo

funk, I don't have to fear the almighty God for I trust in him. These may give you the chili willies' but I don't blaim you.

Here are some more judgements on Blasphemers like you and Tom.

Revelation 16

Six Bowls of Wrath
      1 Then I heard a loud voice from the temple, saying to the seven angels, “Go and pour out on the earth the seven bowls of the wrath of God.”
      2 So the first angel went and poured out his bowl on the earth; and it became a loathsome and malignant sore on the people who had the mark of the beast and who worshiped his image.

3 The second angel poured out his bowl into the sea, and it became blood like that of a dead man; and every living thing in the sea died.

4 Then the third angel poured out his bowl into the rivers and the springs of waters; and they became blood. 5 And I heard the angel of the waters saying, “Righteous are You, who are and who were, O Holy One, because You judged these things; 6 for they poured out the blood of saints and prophets, and You have given them blood to drink. They deserve it.” 7 And I heard the altar saying, “Yes, O Lord God, the Almighty, true and righteous are Your judgments.”

8 The fourth angel poured out his bowl upon the sun, and it was given to it to scorch men with fire. 9 Men were scorched with fierce heat; and they blasphemed the name of God who has the power over these plagues, and they did not repent so as to give Him glory.

10 Then the fifth angel poured out his bowl on the throne of the beast, and his kingdom became darkened; and they gnawed their tongues because of pain, 11 and they blasphemed the God of heaven because of their pains and their sores; and they did not repent of their deeds.

12 The sixth angel poured out his bowl on the great river, the Euphrates; and its water was dried up, so that the way would be prepared for the kings from the east.

April 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

and here's another one for all non-believers:

Deuteronomy 17
      If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die.

how do you defend that, Leo? serious question. how do you defend the command that you murder all non-christians?

April 9, 2012 at 10:08 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Leo

Let me ask you something. Do you think that people who do not believe in jesus as you do deserve to be tortured for all eternity?

April 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Leo

When you take the Mark... boys and girls don't blaim God for not warning you ahead of time.

But in the mean time you can continue with your hopelessness that is only comforted by the pain of others.

What a sad life....

April 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • HellBent

@Booty,

April 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

What possible reason would you have for knowing of any "hope" I might have, you moronic fucktard?

What would that have to do with anything? Never mind; we all know it's just more silly posturing on your part. You don't have any answers to the questions posed to you so you have to obfuscate, meander, and digress.

Poor things.

April 9, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
    • HellBent

@Booty,

Clearly you're taking that out of context and dont' understand the actual translation of the original hebrew </standard boilerplate gutless answer to any uncomfortable question>

April 9, 2012 at 10:12 pm |

"I don't blaim you"?

You know what, Leo the Dim? You aren't bright enough to warn anyone about anything. You're dumb as dirt and even less interesting and useful.

Really, dude. Go back and get your GED.

April 9, 2012 at 10:13 pm |
    • Leo

You and others can use the Old Testament Law, but you don't understand that Jesus gives us the New Covenant of Grace.

John 3:16
      “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

I hope that you all will turn before it is too late. That is my hope.

April 9, 2012 at 10:17 pm |
    • HellBent

And, Leo, Your god supposedly also said that he didn't come to replace the old laws. And his followers knew that – which is why they continued to follow them. In fact, according to your book, your god had to personally wave one of those old testament laws so that Peter wouldn't die. Why do you think you get a pass when the early xtians obviously knew they didn't?

April 9, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Liar. You don't hope for anything of the sort, you little, lying hypocrite.

April 9, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
    • Leo

Tom, I am not sure what you are, but I do find it very interesting that a person can sit here and tell everyone else this or that, but is too cowardly to even tell us what their hope in life is!!

Too ashamed that you really don't have one. You can't think of anything? to obsessed with Posting?

April 9, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • Leo

Tom, and others I do believe we are in the last days, and I rejoice that people like you come against Christians with such determination.

The Bible told us this a long time ago.

Matthew 24

9 “Then they will deliver you to tribulation, and will kill you, and you will be hated by all nations because of My name. 10 At that time many will fall away and will betray one another and hate one another. 11 Many false prophets will arise and will mislead many. 12 Because lawlessness is increased, most people’s love will grow cold. 13 But the one who endures to the end, he will be saved. 14 This gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

April 9, 2012 at 10:24 pm |
    • Leo

Bent, You know the scriptures only to try to use them against Christians, the interesting thing is Satan did the same thing to Jesus!!

We have the law to know right from wrong, but if we try to keep the law to find salvation we discount grace.

April 9, 2012 at 10:29 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Leo, you're a simpleton who probably never got a high school diploma. You can't write a coherent sentence. You're unable to figure out the rules of capitalization that a 5th grader would have mastered. I haven't the slightest respect for your interpretation of the Bible of religion, as you can't even comprehend your own language.

I don't need to post my "hope" for your pleasure, you twit. I don't need to do a thing-you've already exposed yourself as an imbecile.

Let me know when you get a degree and prove yourself a worthy adversary. I'll be counting the decades.

April 9, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • HellBent

@Leo,

it would appear the atheists on this board know the book a whole lot better than you do.

April 9, 2012 at 11:07 pm |

2 Chronicles 15

1 Now the Spirit of God came on Azariah the son of Oded, 2 and he went out to meet Asa and said to him, “Listen to me, Asa, and all Judah and Benjamin: the LORD is with you when you are with Him.

Who was God talking to? Judah and Benjamin not Atheist!! Twist the word all you want!!

April 9, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
    • HellBent

"We have the law to know right from wrong,"

So, in @Leo's world:

Right: beating slaves and murdering people who think differently than you

Wrong: cotton blends.

Got it!

April 9, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
  2. Bootyfunk

CNN sux. this whole article has a christian bias in the first place. "Jesus, man or myth" - and then they spend 70% of the article with a pro-christian slant and maybe 30% actually reasonably questioning. read the article again and tell me this ain't true. and now look at the comments above. 7 blogs pro jesus, 2 against. hahah. CNN, you should be ashamed of yourselves, not because you posted this article, but because you are terrible journalists. christians cry and complain anytime there is an article questioning their faith. but read the articles. it's always done tip-toeing around christianity cause they're afraid to offend the cult. why didn't they include stuff like jesus being pro-slavery - yup, he told slaves to obey their masters if they want to get into heaven. and a bunch of other disgusting, heinous stuff. yes, he did say some great things about love, but he also said/did some really terrible things. how come CNN never brings that up? you would think in an article like this, that would be the time. but CNN FAILS in their journalistic duties, instead walking on eggshells so as not to offend. try doing your jobs. try actually writing a fair article without a christian bias. i've seen maybe 2 out of 100.

"The “real” Jesus, Schweitzer says, will remain “a stranger and an enigma,” someone who is always ahead of us."

and here's how they end EVERY article about christianity, on a positive, pro-christian note. always. CNN, start doing your job and stop being scared of offending christians. when they have a rule book that says to kill g.a.y.s, disobedient wives and children, etc., should that be questioned? they've had a free ride, a bullet proof vest against criticism, completely undeserved. you know why there are child molestation stories about the church on CNN? because it's what is happening! and yet christians will say that it's bashing their religion. but is there another organization, aside from NAMBLA that protects child molesters? christianity should have their feet held to the fire when they do or promote evil.

April 9, 2012 at 9:27 pm |
    • lol

I just want to know why they showed Jesus as white. Jesus was not a white man.

April 9, 2012 at 9:42 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

because white people took over christianity. and they couldn't stomach praying to someone that wasn't white. imagine christians getting on their knees and praying to someone with swarthy skin and a big nose. christians hate that jesus was a jew. lol. christianity is just a rip off of judaism anyway.

April 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  3. Mec

CNN is a bully site. Just like what edeveryday said... CNN won't actually challenge Islam on the religion on their holy days. CNN just picks on Christians because it can and it's the current fad. C'mon CNN, step up to the plate and put your month where your mouth is and post a "Did Mohammad really exist???" C'mon CNN.

April 9, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  4. joey

just another day to get drunk

April 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Pipe-Dreamer

Mus be the Life!,,,,, getting drunk,,,,, 😦

April 9, 2012 at 9:26 pm |
  5. Pipe-Dreamer

IT'S ABOUT TIME

Phosphorus wrote to me on page 92 on Easter Sunday Night, April 8, 2012 at 10:31 pm, stating, "To confuse social statistics and demographics with numerology is a rather remarkable mistake. Nice try, Pipe-Dreamer. Keep smoking your pipe, and leave the actual science and math to us adults. Besides, it's probably passed your bed time. With the lines I've seen you spitting out in this blog and some of CNN's previous religious blogs, you may want to brush your teeth for an extra few minutes. Talking that much (I'll be polite) can really make one's breath wreak. Nighty-night!

FYI Phosphorus, I smoke no pipe,,, haven't for many so many years,,,,,, I do however smoke filtered cigars. Science you say? Here's a weenie of science for ya! Long ago in the ancient timeperiods of Greek and Roman civilizations, there were these Theological Philosophers who made stories as to just exactly what was the smallest things and their roles in the meanings of Life. In their still known to us writings they did write that the smallest things known were the "elemental gods". Todays scientists do scoff at such an idea and they have renamed an old fling to call these "elemental gods as being atoms putting to bed the ancient Theological philosophers' understandings. So much for pragmatisms' lamentations!

Another tid-bit to ponder upon is the exact size of this "Celestial Cosmos we find ourselves living within. Just how big is it really? Do you agree with our sciences' rather mundane stand that the universe is all there is out there? If you do then you get the booby prize! This Celestial Cosmos is riddled with way more than just our knowable to us universe! The actual size and immensity of the Celestial Cosmos is beyond thye perceptions of many science ladled folks!

Another diddy to feast upon is called "Fractal Cosmology" Ever heard about it? Probably not so here is the main jist of it! Fractal Cosmology deals with the very real possibiliy that there are places where there are universes within universes. These places where there are "inner-universes" must and I dare say again, must be sheltered from the outward universes blasts of stellar radiation. What a better place to hide Micro-universes than within all forms of living bodies! Here's the clincher! All Life Forms and Life Formations are all made up of cellularized universes that are living places for the elemental gods' ever so smalled living generations of inward living life forms and life formations! Many verses of the KJVB does back up this diddy of thoughts!

Luke 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is INSIDE you.

1Corinthians 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, [ye are] God's building

April 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
  6. OH

JESUS IS GOD and here is WHY – Google "SpiritWorldBlog" and start knowing Everything.
    Religion(S). GOD. Satan. Aliens. Ghosts. History. Life. Love. Nature. Death. + MUCH MORE

April 9, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Goshers! A BLOG that is full of facts?!

As if.

April 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
  7. doc77

People have been trying to figure him out for millenia. Look at the Creeds. More time spent on Jesus than anything else. Don't get all bothered about this. Nothing new here.

April 9, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
  8. well

I do find CNN cowardly in attacking Christianity on a weekly basis, yet running stories praising that other religion of peace. You know... the one whose followers blow you up if you offend them?

April 9, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

attacking?!? ha! more like defending.

April 9, 2012 at 9:30 pm |
  9. ANTIETAM

Our unending wars of aggression have watered religion down to a great extent. Families suffered great pain during the Civil War when soldiers died far from home without a chance for personal salvation, and ended in unmarked graves with no clergyman to start them on the road to the hereafter. Such feelings do not exist today. People are only concerned that their "hero" left wife and children behind. No one bewails the fact that our "hero" did not have the chance to accept Jesus Christ as his personal savior before closing his eyes forever. Our unending wars have blunted religious feeling to a large extent. People do not know how to link the body bag to religion. So be it.

April 9, 2012 at 9:05 pm |
  10. Allen

There is a big difference between christianity, judism, buddism, and muslim faiths. All except christianity have a resting place of the man of that faith. Abraham is buried in Hebron, Mahammed in Mecca, Budda was sent to 8 different places. There is no place that Christ is venerated. That is because he was risen there is no venerate place were people laid flowers and visited him..

April 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm |
    • well

Pretty sure Mohammed rode a horse up to Heaven or some such....

April 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm |
    • Allen

Nope, Muhammed died in his home and was buried there. It is now I believe the second most important mosque in the muslim religion.

April 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • well

Did a little research. He is buried in Medina, but also did ascend to Heaven from the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. Those Muslims- want their cake and to eat it too.

April 9, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  11. Allison

I read CNN everyday. I challenge you to put controversial articles out on holy days of other religions. I don't think you would. My husband and I were getting ready to see what the media would publish on Easter, and we were correct in our assumptions. It only seems as if you slander Christianity, but other religions are off limits? Why is that?

For shame on not being an equal opportunity news organization. So, come September, I dare you to slander away at other religions. If my assumptions are correct, you will not be writing anything so insulting about other relgions.

Cheap shots, unworthy article. Sensationalism. Poor taste. A mere joke. But, oh so predictable of CNN.

April 9, 2012 at 9:02 pm |
    • Pipe-Dreamer

Allison , ,,,,,,

Isn't CNN run by ? and has its' roots in the U.S.A.?

I admit I am a nincompoop regarding the ways of this world's motions and movements of capitalisms or politcalisms or even fundamentalisms! You see, I am a closeted Christian and only come out to play with atheist kids who just love razzing my dander up,,,,,,, 🙂

April 9, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  12. MJSouth

I can hear the CNN staff laughing at the stupidity of this whole question.

April 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
  13. Swede

Why is it that when you move to the U.S. from an extremely secular nation, you become much more religious? That happened to me when I moved to the U.S..... Nix I don't live in the bible belt

April 9, 2012 at 8:59 pm |
    • Claude Gothic

Probably too much fast food...

April 9, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • well

Normalization to surrounding culture. It is okay to be religious here, so you are. In much of Europe to be religious is frowned upon. Here you be an atheist or very religious and not be judged by any but the most arrogant judgmental slobs (be they atheist or religious)

April 9, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
  14. Thaddeus Masthay

People, come on. Just chill. Your First Amendment rights are no different on a holy day then on any other day. Second off, if you have deeply-rooted faith, this shouldn't phase you. Third of all, CNN has an entire section of its website called the Belief Blog where pastors of different denominations (along with members of other religions) are invited to write, hardly a widespread condemnation of religion. They're just giving voice to some people who probably feel drowned out in these times. If CNN wishes to write about them, they may. Freedom of the press and speech are no different on Easter. Freedom of religion (another well cherished right) isn't even a question on this one, because it doesn't say anything about the writers unless you read into it that way; doesn't mean you're necessarily right or that it even matters.

April 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  15. Allen

It is funny and sad that people who know nothing of the bible tend to be biblical scholars. I would think that if someone were looking for empirical evidence of the resurrection they need look no further than what happened to the disciples after Christ's crucifiction. When Christ was captured the disciples ran for the hills, most declaring they knew nothing of Jesus or his work. After Christ visited them after rising from his grave they became the bravest men on the planet. Four were crucified themselves, Peter was crucified upside down. One was stoned, another was shot full of arrows, another dragged through the streets until he was dead. These were not the same men who ran for the hills. I would say they had seen or known something that made them unafraid of dying...

April 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • Claude Gothic

I'd say they just didn't run fast enough.

April 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm |
    • digitalcuttlefish

Allen, by your criterion Jim Jones is the messiah. Over 900 people died to attest to that fact.

April 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Allen

digitalcuttlefish you might have a point if they had all died at the same time from drinking kool aid. Each died in different cities at different times. They were well aware of what would happen to them. Each was witness to being crucified, so they knew what was in store for them...

April 9, 2012 at 9:18 pm |
    • one small detail

The argument works for Jonestown except that whole rose-from-the-dead thing. Allen's point was that previous to the resurrection (not the death) of Jesus, his followers had abandoned him and that after his resurrection, the followers were willing to accept the worst punishments rather than deny him. Jim Jones killed his followers rather than let them leave Jonestown and they were not under any illusion that Jones had died and been raised from the dead. Except for that small detail, yes, it's exactly the same thing.

April 9, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • John

If you want to say the Bible is proof of Jesus, fair enough... but where is the proof in the Bible? To me it is fiction, so I consider those "stories", not the truth.

April 9, 2012 at 9:37 pm |
    • Allen

John, the bible is a collection of books manuscripts that were written over, I think it was 1400 years on 4 different continents. By a number of authors. Most of the new testament is a history of the author's religious journey and the history of the christian church. I think 4 books were written about Christ by the men who were around him. So those books are taken from the eyewitness of the men who were there. These books are no different from any other historical reference taken from that time in human history. Most historians do not have a problem with authenticating the existence of a prophet named Jesus. The part of his divinity is what is the faith part of Christianity...

April 9, 2012 at 9:48 pm |
    • John

"I think it was 1400 years on 4 different continents"... exactly my point. You ever play that game telephone as a kid? Line up a number of people, say something starting on one end and pass it down to the other; it was usually something quite different on the other end. Even today with modern technology (phones, internet, etc.) there was an unfortunate accident at my workplace, the next day I heard three different stories as to what happened, only one being true. So can you imagine after 1400+ years.

But you hit the nail right on the head, that’s why it’s called “faith”. To each their own, just offering up an alternative to the statement “looking for empirical evidence of the resurrection they need look no further than what happened to the disciples”.

April 9, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Claude Gothic

Trying to deny the existence of Muhammad would be a huge stretch...he had a massive direct impact on his own time.
    Jesus...well, other than the writings of Christianity itself and a possibly spurious sentence in Josephus...hmmm.

April 9, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
    • massive impact?

@Claude,

What non-Islamic-centered historical records detail the "massive direct impact" Muhammad had during his lifetime? The Arabian peninsula was a backwater section of the ancient world until Islamic expansion/conquering occurred well after Muhammad's time. What impact did he have besides starting a religion that changed the course of the world? Sounds awfully similar to the impact that Jesus had–except for all those battles that his followers won in the three centuries after his death.

April 9, 2012 at 9:17 pm |
    • well

He did unite the transient inhabitants of a backwater land unworthy of conquest by either the Romans or Persians. Had they only know about the oil...

April 9, 2012 at 9:24 pm |
    • Jg

Does the 'C' in CNN stand for Christophobia???
      As the saying goes..no guts no glory...lets see you be brave enough to attack other faiths the way you do Christanity. Lets see you rip apart Mohammad. Of course you won't, you always run from anything that resembles real journalism.
      And Claude – before you can put in yet another moronic response – just do everyone a favor and shut up. We get it, your anti christian....and boring. Good luck with that.

April 9, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • impact again

I'm not saying Muhammad didn't do anything, I question CG's minimization of Jesus of Nazareth's impact because there are few external sources testifying to his immediate impact. Any source detailing Muhammad's "massive direct impact" during his lifetime will stem from pro-Islamic sources (in the same way as pro-Christian sources detail Jesus' impact) not from the wider historical community. Claude's assertion that Muhammad's existence is a proven fact more than Jesus of Nazareth falls under the weight of his own argument–can't have it both ways.

April 9, 2012 at 9:31 pm |
  17. jonborg

I think that CNN should present multiple views on "Jesus," as long as they are listed as opinion pieces. I'm a Christian and a Jesus-denying article doesn't bother me. I think we need to encourage respect and understanding between different views. It is hard to deny the existence of Jesus though. It's not hard to deny Jesus' divinity, but to say that Jesus never existed as a person is a stretch (look at Bart Ehrman's word).

April 9, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
  18. Kevin

Regardless to almost everything in the story. It's the message that we should take away. You know, the whole treat other people the way you want to be treated, help those less fortunate than you, don't judge, love, forgive, etc, etc.
    Even most Christians (most people, whatever the religion) don't really get the message, or if they do, don't live it. You can't argue with the message, it's perfect. It's mans interpretation (ie. religion) that distorts the perfection. Jesus, or not, it's a really great way to live your life. Or I suppose I should say, it's been a really great way to live mine and if you haven't already done so, you should give it a try.

April 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  19. He Has Risen Indeed!

Great GOSPEL presentation.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyYFxp7apl4

April 9, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  20. itsamazing2me

As a Christian, your story is not bothersome in the least.

Jesus Himself will be there when your writers, editors, go-fers and janitors pass on.

Anything I could add is extra.

April 9, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
    • Claude Gothic

Are you saying he's going to kill these people?!?!?
      AAAHHHH!!!