home
RSS
BYU student video on homosexuality is not in violation of honor code, says administrator
One unnamed male student in the BYU video says he had thoughts of suicide.
April 9th, 2012

By Dan Merica, CNN

(CNN)-– The students featured in a video about being gay at Brigham Young University are not in obvious violation of the honor code, according to Carri Jenkins, an assistant to the president of BYU.

Jenkins went on to say that for the video alone, the students would not be punished. The honor code, Jenkins said, is “based on conduct, not on feeling, and if same-gender attraction is only stated, that is not an honor code issue.”

All BYU students sign on to the honor code upon enrollment. The code outlaws premarital sex and breaking the code “may result in actions up to and including separation from the university.”

“Homosexual behavior is inappropriate and violates the honor code. Homosexual behavior includes not only sexual relations between members of the same sex, but all forms of physical intimacy that give expression to homosexual feelings,” reads the honor code.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

The 9 minute, 37 second video features a number of gay, lesbian and bisexual students around BYU and is part of the larger “It Gets Better” video campaign started by writer Dan Savage. The project was started in response to a rash of suicides of teenagers who were bullied for being gay. The goal of the videos is to let people know they are not alone and that life gets better.

“It is very different to be gay and Mormon because it feels like neither community accepts you completely,” said Bridey Jensen, acting president of the group Understanding Same-Gender Attraction. “We put out the message for youth that are going through this and we want them to know that we were them a few years ago and it gets better and there is a place for you.”

Jensen’s organization is not recognized by the university, but she did say that professors and administrators have been supportive of what the group is trying to do.

The BYU video is unique in the fact that it discusses being gay at a university that has consistently been ranked as the most unfriendly campus for LGBT students in the country, according to Princeton Review.

Brigham Young is owned and operated by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and many of the school’s board members are also church officials.

In 2007, the honor code was changed to state that it is based on conduct, not on feeling. Jenkins said, however, that the university observed that policy even before the rule change.

“One's stated sexual orientation is not an honor code issue,” was added in 2007.

Throughout the video, students speak of the hardships they have encountered. In some instances, students talk about their thoughts of suicide.

"I thought that eventually maybe it would be better if I died," said one unnamed male student, "so I did everything I could to really be that perfect Mormon. I thought that was going to cure myself."

Jenkins said what concerned her most about the videos was the talk of suicide.

“I hoped they would use the services available to them and that they would take advantage of the professional services that we have,” Jenkins said, speaking about the university's counseling services.

Though Jensen acknowledged the hardships of being gay and Mormon, she said that in her leadership of this unaffiliated group she has seen an unexpected changing attitude among Mormons toward gay rights.

Jensen said she believes that while church doctrine has not changed, feelings toward LGBT members of the church have.

“I am not sure how much the doctrine or policy within the church will change, but there is definitely a changing of how they treat the issue and how they treat the people who are gay,” Jensen said. “It is definitely getting better within the church. They are not so quick to judge. They understand that they don’t understand everything.”

Richard Bushman, a pre-eminent scholar on the doctrine and history of Mormonism, echoed Jensen. He says the fact this debate is even allowed to occur is a signal of liberalization in attitudes toward homosexuality in Mormonism.

“The last 10 years have been a huge sea change in terms of willingness to accept homosexuals,” Bushman said. “Gay kids are still going to have a tough time in the church, but this level of acceptance and acknowledgement, that is really that last decade I would say.”

Even within the last decade, however, the church has had a confrontational history with gay rights. When Proposition 8, a state constitutional amendment to make same-sex marriage illegal in California, was challenged, Mormons contributed half the $40 million war chest that was used to defend the proposition, according to TIME magazine. Mormons made up 2% of the Californian population.

During the Proposition 8 debate, the church leadership penned a letter that was to be read to all congregations on June 29, 2008.

“We ask that you do all you can to support the proposed constitutional amendment by donating of your means and time to assure that marriage in California is legally defined as being between a man and a woman,” read the letter. “Our best efforts are required to preserve the sacred institution of marriage.”

The response from gay rights activists was fierce; many accused the church of bigotry and blind religious obedience.

Jensen, however, as a gay Mormon, took a more nuanced look at the Proposition 8 debate.

“I think that what Prop 8 was all about was the church has a stance that eternal marriage is between a man and a woman,” Jensen said. “As a religious institution, they have every right to protect that.”

Jensen said that while the church defended that position, congregants at large “don’t view us [LGBT Mormons] any different.”

In the video, the students state that 1,800 students at BYU are members of the LGBT community. According to Jensen, those numbers were extrapolated from national numbers that show between 6% and 10% of people have homosexual urges at some point in their lives.

With around 34,000 students at BYU, Jensen said they figured around 1,800 would have experience homosexual urges.

Jenkins disputes those numbers, stating that the university has never collected data on the number of LGBT students at BYU. Those numbers are not “scientifically valid,” Jenkins said.

1. Michael

The original text of the Bible doesn't condemn gay people. For example, the Leveticus scripture is part of Holiness Code, meant as a ritual purity guide only for the Jews, and the term translated to 'as with' means 'bed' every other time its used in that book. Paul was specifically referring to this passage in the clobber passage in Corinthians and he stated "male bed" and "soft". Corinthians was condemning ma$turbation instead less then 100 years ago. As for Romans, try including the first half of that statement, the 'reason', instead of just reading the "for this reason" part, an incomplete paragraph as its always presented, and you will see it has nothing to do with orientation and everything to do with idolatry rituals.

April 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
    • Answer

So all that tripe was made up by your god or by men? Let's hear you say it.

Then let us see you produce your god.

April 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Michael

We will never know if God exist until we die but we can figure out what the true intentions of the original text of the Bible. It's not that difficult.

April 10, 2012 at 7:09 pm |
    • Answer

So basically you have bs to offer the whole crowd. Gotcha.

April 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • fred

Answer
      How is your bs any better than our bs?

April 10, 2012 at 7:16 pm |
  2. Michael

Jesus met a gay man, via the Roman Centurion trying to heal his younger male slave, and said of him, "Never have I seen faith greater than this.". Jesus also mentions gay men as 'born eunuchs' in Matthew and again does not condemn.

April 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
  3. Brad

Where is this school located? The middle ages?

April 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • rocketscientist

Actually, it's in Provo, Utah. Nice campus and a beautiful area with great skiing.

April 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm |
  4. Josie

I know of at least one lesbian that went to BYU, served on a mission and is now with the same person for several years. Funny, she lied...and was truly seen as a "good mormon girl" because she never let dating stop her from her mission...several years later. Her parents are aware and yet do nothing. Sadly her only brother is gay, has not served a mission, is involved in the church at home and is open about it. The difference between the two, one allowed others to know and the other did not and was harassed for it. The mormon church is not welcoming to gays or lesbians as long as they are open about it. I grew up in the church and am aware of their standing on marriages and such...and even I ended up leaving the church. I wish this kid luck though.

April 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
  5. Leeroy

This article isn't bad, yet, people still don't understand that we only hate the sin; not the sinner. We love all sinners because, aterall, we are all sinners and we all need help from time to time. And we will do everything in our non-violent, legal, ethical and moral power to try to ensure our laws do not support sin. We do this by supporting proposed laws we agree with and by voting our conscience. That is the American way. Just because we oppose "gay marriage" doesn't mean we hate anyone. But we do hate Satan's efforts to confuse people into accepting a clear sin as an acceptable way of life. As the article suggests, BYU Counselors stand ready to help students and their families who are struggling with this, or any other sin or short-coming, they are struggling to overcome. That doesn't sound like hate to me. That sounds pretty loving to me.

April 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm |
    • Zebula

Being a member of a cult is a sin, but I don't hate you, Leeroy. I guess perspective is everything, eh?

April 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
    • Ummm

"And we will do everything in our non-violent, legal, ethical and moral power to try to ensure our laws do not support sin. "

There are far more passages on adultery and its condemnation than the few passages you are using against gays, yet getting a divorce is legal, adulterers are allowed to get remarried and have their civil rights. It's your prejudice stance that is clouding your ability to truly love and give these people their civil rights. The experts around the world have proven that being gay is totally natural, it's not a choice or a mental illness and it can't be voluntarily changed. Why don't you use your moral stance to stop spreading hatred and prejudice towards this group and show you truly are a real Christian. This is about civil rights.

April 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm |
    • 1964

Who defines sin? What makes the LDS definition of sin correct?

April 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm |
    • Yawn

By all means ummm, introduce a law like that at the ballot and see if they come out in support. My guess is they would. And as far as "who defines sin?" That's determined on an individual basis, based on understanding of religious texts or teachings. The same question can be asked of concepts such as what's "fair" or "just" or "right."

April 10, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • Leeroy

@ Ummm, as I said below, I believe the Prophets of the Lord trumps any psychiatrist or organization of psychiatrists, and/or "expert", as you call them, everytime. How long has this "expert" or psychiatry been around anyway? 100 years? 200? How long has the profession been taken seriously? 50? I believe the profession is getting better and is very helpful to many . . . but they are wrong if they think they are wiser or more knowledgable about issues like this than is the Prophets.

April 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm |
    • tallulah13

Leeroy: Discrimination is a form of hate. All your words don't change that.

When you deny people equal rights because your personal belief system, you are harming others for no honest reason. There is more evidence that being born gay is innate than there is evidence for the existence of any god. If anything is unnatural here, it is religion.

April 11, 2012 at 2:04 am |
    • Primewonk

I keep hearing you folks say to "hate the sin, but love the sinner". Yet, when I ask you guys for the book, chapter, and verse for it, you are silent. Why is this?

In fact, it occurs no where in your bible. It is a quote from Gandhi – a Hindu. In reality, your god commands that you are to go out and kill gay folks. I seriously fail to see how this represents love.

April 11, 2012 at 8:41 am |
    • pervert alert

Since "gay" is a word recently stolen by ho mo se xuals to try to hide their dirty, disgusting lifestyle i doubt that Gandi used the phrase "gay folks". Primewonk you are lying.

April 11, 2012 at 8:44 am |
    • Robert

"Since "gay" is a word recently stolen by ho mo se xuals to try to hide their dirty, disgusting lifestyle "

Since your post is full of hate and bigotry not based on the real facts, you are the disgusting one.

April 11, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  6. Nii

Hi

April 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
  7. Trent

Religions preach nothing but hate and fear. No difference here.

April 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Michael

You're missing the point. This is a religious school that is taking steps in the right direction.

April 10, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
    • bannister

I personally do not believe there is anything wrong with being gay.

HOWEVER: If someone believes something is morally wrong – or just unhealthy – then speaking out against it is not preaching "hate and fear." For example, if Alcoholics Anonymous says that alcohol addiction ruins lives, they are not "preaching hate and fear."

April 10, 2012 at 6:34 pm |
    • rocketscientist

They do? That's funny, I can't remember the last time I heard the priest preaching anything hateful or scary at Church. In fact part of the mass is a prayer to God to "take out of are hearts fear and anxiety." And hate certainly doesn't coincide with Christ's message of the brotherhood of man. I was never ever taught to hate anyone by my church. Ever.

April 10, 2012 at 6:48 pm |
  8. Reality

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS:-–>>>>>>>>>>

Abrahamics" believe that their god created all of us and of course that includes the g-ay members of the human race. Also, those who have studied ho-mo-se-xuality have determined that there is no choice involved therefore ga-ys are ga-y because god made them that way.

To wit:

o The Royal College of Psy-chiatrists stated in 2007:

“ Despite almost a century of psy-choanalytic and psy-chological speculation, there is no substantive evidence to support the suggestion that the nature of parenting or early childhood experiences play any role in the formation of a person’s fundamental heteros-exual or hom-ose-xual orientation. It would appear that s-exual orientation is biological in nature, determined by a complex interplay of ge-netic factors and the early ut-erine environment. Se-xual orientation is therefore not a choice.[60] "

"Garcia-Falgueras and Swaab state in the abstract of their 2010 study, "The fe-tal brain develops during the intraut-erine period in the male direction through a direct action of tes-tosterone on the developing nerve cells, or in the female direction through the absence of this hor-mone surge. In this way, our gender identi-ty (the conviction of belonging to the male or female gender) and s-exual orientation are programmed or organized into our brain structures when we are still in the womb. There is no indication that social environment after birth has an effect on gender ident–ity or s-exual orientation."[8

See also the Philadelphia Inquirer review “Gay Gene, Deconstructed”, 12/12/2011. Said review addresses the following “How do genes associated with ho-mose-xuality avoid being weeded out by Darwinian evolution?”

Of course, those gays who belong to Abrahamic religions abide by the rules of no adu-ltery or for-nication allowed.

And because of basic biology differences said monogamous ventures should always be called same-s-ex unions not same-s-ex marriages.

April 10, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
    • Leeroy

I believe the Prophets of the Lord trumps any psychiatrist or organization of psychiatrists everytime. HOw long has psychiatry been around anyway? 100 years? 200? How long has the profession been taken seriously? 50? I believe the profession is getting better and is very helpful to many . . . but they are wrong if they think they are wiser then the Prophets.

April 10, 2012 at 6:42 pm |
    • Zebula

Seek help, Leeroy. Brainwashing can be reversed.

April 10, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  9. andrew.peter

Why does everyone say that Christians "HATE" LGBT people. I would be considered a very "devout" born-again, evangelical, calvinistic Christian, yet I don't "hate" people. However I can understand how my disapproval of the lifestyle can feel like "hate", but it's not the same thing. I don't wish harm on them. I care about them and for them, as I do all people. There are many people who are living lives that I consider to be opposed to God's plan, but there's nothing I can do about it... It's their lives to live. But I do have the freedom to express my "opinion" without harming or insulting the person, for as long as this is a FREE country. Correct?? If I don't then all of our rights are subject to be snuffed out.

April 10, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Those who express disapproval of a lifestyle is not the problem. It is more those who wish to marginalize the rights of ho.mose.xuals.

April 10, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
    • Answer

So when we atheists express our opinions about your imaginary friend you won't be such angry wusses? I guess you won't like that kinda talk when it is fired back at ya. It's our opinions that your kind are idiots.

So take my words and not be offended. XD

April 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm |
    • Enoch

Lol@Atheists your lack of belief only shows your true weakness in life. A mean who believes in something is strong a man who believes in nothing is weak. You would be wise to remember that in the future. Oh yeah do not get offended.

April 10, 2012 at 6:13 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Atheism is not a lack of belief across the board. Atheism is non belief in a god or gods.

April 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • Ummm

"But I do have the freedom to express my "opinion" without harming or insulting the person, for as long as this is a FREE country"

You are harming people by not allowing gays and lesbians the same equal civil rights that you have. Get the picture?

April 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm |
    • andrew.peter

Answer - You TOTALLY missed my statement about saying it in a harmful or insulting way. So calling me an idiot would give me the perception that you hate me, and I would be offended.

Now if you had said only that you don't believe in a God, and think I'm wrong.. or have no basis of evidence... etc. ... that would be civil and tolerable. I'd have no issue with that.
      What you did was low-brow bullying.

April 10, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
    • Dana

I feel the same way but I don't have an imaginary friend to fall back on.

April 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm |
    • andrew.peter

@Ummm - no I'm not. If I have the right to vote on it, I will not vote to approve of the lifestyle. How else should I vote if that's my belief?? However, I am fully aware of how democracies work, and have no issue with a plurality accepting it. I will still oppose the lifestyle. It doesn't mean that I hate the person. Just like I oppose crime, but I don't hate criminals... Do you?? I am NOT saying the LGBT lifestyle is a crime btw. It's just an illustration.

April 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • Dan

Enoch, it is weak-minded people that need an imaginary guy in the sky to believe in. Remember that in the future. Be offended.

April 10, 2012 at 6:22 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@ Other Atheists/non-believers

Enough with the imaginary friend stuff. It does absolutely nothing but cause more divisiveness. This is coming from a fellow atheist. You are not doing our side any favors by voicing things in an insulting manner.

April 10, 2012 at 6:24 pm |
    • Ummm

"no I'm not. If I have the right to vote on it, I will not vote to approve of the lifestyle."

The experts around the world have proven being gay is totally natural, it's not a choice, it's not a mental illness. Gays have the same loving relationships that you have, they have children and as a family unit they deserve the same rights you have so by not allowing them those civil rights you are harming them.

Tax Benefits
      -–Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
      -–Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits
      -–Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
      -–Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
      -–Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts, QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
      -–Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse – that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits
      -–Receiving Social Security, Medicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
      -–Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
      -–Receiving public as-sistance benefits.
      -–Employment Benefits
      -–Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
      -–Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
      -–Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
      -–Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits
      -–Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
      -–Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits
      -–Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
      -–Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits
      -–Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
      -–Applying for joint foster care rights.
      -–Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
      -–Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits
      -–Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
      -–Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits
      -–Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
      -–Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
      -–Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.
      -–Other Legal Benefits and Protections
      -–Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
      -–Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
      -–Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
      -–Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
      -–Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
      -–Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

April 10, 2012 at 6:29 pm |
    • Answer

@HawaiiGuest

"Yes, mother."

Was that phrase that you were hoping to get? I myself do not pander to spare their precious 'feelings' on their imaginary friends. They are just psychotic imbeciles who need a lesson on reality.

April 10, 2012 at 6:36 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Answer

When a persons beliefs are questioned, they will naturally get defensive. Questioning in such a way as it is perceived as an attack merely causes an angry response, and will only cause them to dig in more. All it is is an attempt to make the person making the insulting statements to feel better about their own beliefs. It is no different than a religious person condemning a non-believer to eternal torture.

April 10, 2012 at 6:44 pm |
    • Answer

@HawaiiGuest

I have no issues with them digging in. I find it funny that they will. It is a fact that no one will be converted to another path of thought when it is ingrained – and when you have never explored logic – it is even harder. So you're playing the open route – and letting them evaluate the logical choice. It's cool. I like what you are doing. I however like to have fun at their expense.

You don't approve of it. I already know. I like my game the way I play it. You like yours.

April 10, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

@Answer

And I understand completely. In fact I think that there is a time and place to make statements like that. For instance I have gone on the major offensive before, but only when I see that patience and or logic will not do anything. If a religious person becomes divisive and nasty to me, I will respond in kind while also exposing the massive holes in logic.

April 10, 2012 at 6:55 pm |
    • Answer

@HawaiiGuest

Some people are the 'cut to the chase' type. That's me. You are doing a fine job imo. You have a fine patience to post their bible tripe with more bible tripe. Koodoos to you.

April 10, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

LOL thx.

April 10, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
    • Primewonk

andrew.peter wrote, " If I have the right to vote on it, I will not vote to approve of the lifestyle. How else should I vote if that's my belief?? "

And this makes you no better than the racist bigotted îdiots who said those "colored" folks have no business trying to marry white folks.

April 11, 2012 at 8:48 am |
  10. BowBow

Like really, hate crimes are just getting boring. This has been happening since the 1700s? Can people just find something else to do, like GET A LIFE, or GET OF THE COMPUTER AND GET A JOB and STOP JUDGING OTHER FOR THEIR DESISIONS. Oh wait... we're in America, yea thats right, the land that tries to run everyone.... NO HOPE.

April 10, 2012 at 5:52 pm |
    • TonyInNYC

A lot of times when you're the victim of a crime it doesn't seem boring.

April 10, 2012 at 6:01 pm |
  11. Bootyfunk

why do g.a.y.s want to be in a club that hates them? the christian bible says to kill g.a.y.s. KILL. why would you want to be in such a h.o.m.o.phobic cult? i just don't get it.

April 10, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • gay mormon

It takes a while to explain.

April 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

the short answer is kids are indoctrinated into the cult at a young age and it's hard to break that mental programming. you're taught there is a God - but his book says g.a.y.s are an abomination and should die. i have 2 g.a.y friends that are christians. one's brother, who was also g.a.y, killed himself over the religious bigotry he was subjected to.

drop god altogether. lead a good life. realize you are not evil because of what you feel/desire. realize the bible that says you are evil was written by people that thought the earth was flat. you don't need god or religion to be a good person. the sort of mental anguish offered by the church is disgusting and wrong. be g.a.y if you're g.a.y. realize the pillars that hold up religion, and especially christianity, are guilt, fear and ignorance.

April 10, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
    • andrew.peter

where in the bible does it say to k.i.l.l. g.a.y.s??? Not in the Christian Bible!!

April 10, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Romans 1:24-32 NLT

April 10, 2012 at 5:54 pm |
    • andrew.peter

Romans only declares that people pursued there own lusts. If you're talking about: "Men did shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffered within themselves the penalty they deserved." It's most often interpreted as judgment of God or natural consequences, not a right for people to render judgment on them. We're not God!

April 10, 2012 at 6:14 pm |
    • Dana

The funny part is that all of the priests are gay.

April 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • Michael

You're missing the point. This is a religion and a school that is taking steps in the right direction. Centuries of religious and cultural tradition are very hard to overcome, but here are some people who are *working at it.* If your intent is sincere, you should be applauding this progress.

April 10, 2012 at 6:25 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Leviticus 18:22
      Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13
      If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Clear as day there.

April 10, 2012 at 6:30 pm |
    • Michael

HawaiiGuest: You can choose to interpret Romans that way, but you would be in a tiny minority of people who do.

April 10, 2012 at 6:31 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

The things that the bible says sometimes is what pushes many people away from religion. It's what pushed me to question things early on, and eventually led to my atheism.

April 10, 2012 at 6:32 pm |
    • Max

andrew peter, Hawaii was wrong... The order to kill them is found in Leviticus ("they shall the put to death"). The same as with adulterers, breakers of the sabbath, sons who are drunk, non-virgin brides, etc, etc...

April 10, 2012 at 6:43 pm |
    • Answer

–quote
      Michael

–end

I love that remark. Taking a fine look at it we can deduce the most common of tacts. "You have interpreted it wrong."

So in asking what is your interpretation of that phrase Michael? Your answer is of course .. "I have the correct interpretation."

It's so funny that your kind doesn't even recognize the very substance of logic in seeing how stupid your kind are.

April 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • HawaiiGuest

Yes I was thinking about the wrong quote. I posted the Leviticus quotes though.

April 10, 2012 at 6:46 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

i find it hilarious that atheists have to tell christians what their rule book says. why don't you guys read it for yourselves... for once.

April 10, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

nothing from you, andrew.peter? it's in leviticus. straight forward. so want to say you were wrong now? want to admit your bible is disgusting for ordering such a heinous act?

April 10, 2012 at 6:59 pm |
    • andrew.peter

Sorry for the delay in my reply, but I don't hang around waiting for replies to my comments. The issue with the Leviticus passage is that it was instruction to the ancient nation of Israel (ancient Jews). God gave them a set of laws through Moses for their new country to go by. The purpose was to make them separate from the rest of the world. In Romans Paul spends much of the book talking about the purpose of the Law given through Moses. How it was given only to show the people of their inability to conform to it. That way they would see their need for a redeemer, to satisfy what God requires of all people. Paul says over and over that the Law brings sin and condemnation, the intended purpose of it, but those who have faith in a Redeemer (Jesus), are not under the law but grace, because they realize they can't meet the requirement.
      So long explanation to say, no Leviticus doesn't instruct Christians to kill g.a.y people.
      But I'm sure many will find this to be idiotic, and that's your choice. I have faith in the truth of Scripture and of Jesus Christ. (But not LDS).

April 11, 2012 at 10:55 am |
  12. exmormon

It will get better when you stop caring about the opinions of people who think that who you are is a temptation to be overcome.

April 10, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • same as everyone

Everyone has temptations to overcome. It's called life.

April 10, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

try to overcome the temptation to stay in a cult that hates you. think for yourself - you'll be happier.

April 10, 2012 at 5:23 pm |
  13. Holy Man

Gay Mormon = Jewish Nazi. Why subject yourself to a group that actively hates you? Mormons are all kinds of bad...

April 10, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
    • Alex

Excuse me- if anyone is showing ignorance it is you. How many mormon's do you personally know and associate with on a regular basis? I am Mormon and attend BYU- and I certainly do not "Hate" anyone because they are LGBT, and all my friends who are mormon certainly do not "hate" them either. I have nothing but love for ALL my fellow men and women. Broadly categorizing mormons as "all kinds of bag," is no better than a proposed mormon calling a LGBT individual all kinds of bad.

April 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • QS

Like the Log Cabin Republicans? 😉

April 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • QS

Nothing but love, eh Alex? So much love that you support gay marriage and equality for the gay community?

April 10, 2012 at 5:39 pm |
  14. just sayin

If a man lived with men, loved men, slept with men and bathed men....would he be considered gay?

April 10, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • The Dude

Of course he would be????????????

April 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

you mean like jesus? yeah, probably.

April 10, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • The Dude

Jesus wasn't gay, sorry man. You have to see him differently.

April 10, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

hung around with 12 dudes, never got with a lady. hmmmmm....

April 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm |
    • Imabeme

Are you sure about that?

April 10, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • just sayin

If Jesus lived in our time, he would be wearing daisy dukes with a thin white shirt with a rainbow flag on it. The guy was more gay than most...talk about multiple partners...12. The guy was a gay machine.

April 10, 2012 at 5:40 pm |
    • just sayin

Imabeme

Are you sure about that?

being BI could also be considered... but it appears he leaned more towards getting teabagged

April 10, 2012 at 5:44 pm |
    • just sayin

So was Jesus gay or BI????????

April 11, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • just sayin

fraud alert-

April 11, 2012 at 12:11 pm |
    • just sayin REAL ONE

It is obvious you are the fraud

April 12, 2012 at 11:17 am |
  15. Monica

Completely love this video and the students in it so strong and beautiful of them to stand up for themselves and their fellow students in the face of such extreme prejudice.

April 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  16. Republicans are Neanderthals

Paraphrasing Jimmy Carter, "I have lust in my heart".

April 10, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
  17. hammer

What does Rev. Wright say about gays.Why don't CNN look in to what President Obama old churches have said about gays.CNN if you are going to cover someone who is running for President church like this do it to both.

April 10, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Hank

Do you think that if Romney wasn't running this would never have been a news item ?

April 10, 2012 at 5:55 pm |
    • tallulah13

Why don't you stop beating that dead horse, hammer?

April 11, 2012 at 2:14 am |
  18. paul

Hahaha oh the irony of calling anti-gay regulations an "honor code".

On the brightside, good for Jenkins for doing at least something decent and not punishing students for who they are.

April 10, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
    • melikeydrinky

good point bro

April 10, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • paul

You don't understand.

April 10, 2012 at 5:19 pm |
    • Steve

BYU (and most private religious schools) has a code that all students must sign before being admitted to the school. the kids know it and sign it. they know the rules and regulations going in. this has nothing to do with them being g.a.y. the BYU basketball player was kicked off the team last year for the end of the season last year after it was found out he was having s.e.x. with a female. i am sure these students would also have a punishment if was found out they were doing the same.

April 10, 2012 at 5:33 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Have any stats for that statement that "most private religious schools" require students to sign such a pledge or swear to such an oath?

April 10, 2012 at 9:34 pm |
  19. Persian Pride

Maybe the LDS church should move to Tehran where there are no gays.

April 10, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
    • btldriver

How do you know? Its not like you can take a survey. I'm sure for the longest time many people thought there were no gays at BYU.

April 10, 2012 at 4:52 pm |
    • Bootyfunk

no g.a.y.s in Tehran - LOL.

April 10, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  20. Alan Lynes

This code has nothing to do with honor

April 10, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • Imabeme

Nice try with the play on words. What is so dishonorable about signing a code that you will live by the beliefs of the church while you attend the university owned by the church? It's not a difficult concept. The family unit is a core element of the beliefs of the Mormon church. And the family unit consists of the marriage between a man and a woman. It is very honorable to live what you believe.

April 10, 2012 at 5:49 pm |