home
RSS
Unlikely spiritual pilgrim walks 70 miles from frat house to shrine
Though he's not Catholic, Andrew Domini walked for two days to reach a Catholic shrine in Indiana.
April 14th, 2012

Unlikely spiritual pilgrim walks 70 miles from frat house to shrine

By Jen Christensen, CNN

Andrew Domini’s feet were blistered and bloodied. He could barely walk by the time he finally made it to a pink marble church and crawled the last 90 feet to a quiet shrine tucked into the corner.

As he paused a couple of weeks ago in front of the wooden coffin that held the remains of Saint Mother Theodore Guerin and prayed, the 19-year-old said he finally felt at peace.

Domini had walked nearly 70 miles, becoming an unlikely spiritual pilgrim. But the religious shrine wasn’t in Rome, Jerusalem or some other officially holy city. It was in St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana.

And Domini’s spiritual quest had begun in the most modern of ways: flipping channels on the couch.

“I was watching ‘Law and Order’ reruns one Sunday, but there was a commercial,” Domini said. “So I grabbed the remote and landed on CNN, and there was this sister talking about this saint and what she meant to her.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

“There was this regular kind of guy with eye problems who prayed to Mother Guerin and was cured - that made me stop,” Domini said. “By the end of the program I knew exactly what I needed to do.”

An aging friend of Domini’s who lives nearby in Crawfordsville, Indiana, had been diagnosed with stage IV cancer six months earlier.

“He wasn’t doing well, and he’s the kind of guy who gives so much and doesn’t expect anything in return,” Domini said. “I wanted to do something for him.”

Without telling his friend, Domini - who isn’t Catholic and said he has tried out different churches but considers himself more spiritual than religious - said he decided to take a long walk in search of spiritual assistance.

The TV program that had caught Domini’s attention was "CNN Presents," which aired the story of Mother Theodore Guerin, who arrived from France with a small group of religious sisters in what was then hostile anti-Catholic territory in Indiana in 1840.

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

Bringing almost nothing with them, the sisters quickly built a community that would improve the lives of hundreds of Hoosiers. Guerin built eight schools, three orphanages and founded the Sisters of Providence at St. Mary-of-the-Woods.

Today, the congregation includes more than 350 women who educate and care for thousands all over the world.

After nearly 100 years of trying, the sisters finally got the Vatican to recognize Guerin as a saint - the Roman Catholic Church’s highest honor - in 2006.

“I wasn’t even raised Catholic,” Domini said. “But after seeing the show and after hearing about her journey here and what she did, I knew I had to go.”

Domini, who is taking a break from his second year at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, could have driven but said he “wanted to walk.”

“I wanted it to be a sacrifice,” he said.

So walk he did. After mapping out his journey online, he threw a candy bar, a lighter (he couldn't find a flashlight), change of shirt and socks and some money into his backpack.

He left his Wabash College fraternity house around 5 a.m., walking without headphones or company and trying to think only of his friend.

“I wasn’t lonely at all. I was actually fascinated by how things kept working out,” Domini said. “I trusted in providence like Mother Guerin talked about.”

The first day he made it some 30 miles, walking along highways and country roads.

The trek was mostly quiet and uneventful, though a state trooper stopped Domini about 15 miles outside of town. Domini gave the officer his name and explained his pilgrimage, and the trooper sent him on his way, with encouragement.

“The only real hazard was the trucks,” Domini said. “They would come so close I would have to jump off into the grass, and they were so loud sometimes it was hard to think.”

It was also hard to find lodging that first night. “I asked for sanctuary at a couple of churches, but they told me they couldn’t do that,” Domini said.

Eventually he found a couch at a student union building in Greencastle. After security asked him to leave, he tried a park bench and then a couch inside an abandoned bank building.

The next day, he walked 12 more miles. By that time his feet were blistered and bleeding.

But a couple saw him on the side of the road and asked if he needed a ride. They happened to be heading in his direction and dropped him just outside Terre Haute. He went about 10 miles in the car before walking the last couple of miles to St. Mary-of-the-Woods.

“As I stepped on the grounds, it all felt so peaceful,” he said.

After praying at the shrine for his friend, he visited the Sisters of Providence’s welcome center, watching a video about the Saint Mother Theodore’s life.

The small museum is filled with earthly reminders of Guerin’s humanity: her tiny shoes, a sewing basket, her wooden writing desk.

Domini was particularly taken with a quote of Guerin’s: “What have we to do in order to become saints? Nothing more than we do every day. Only do it for the love of God.”

At the museum, Sister Jan Craven, who now runs the shrine, approached Domini.

“I swooped him under my wing to find out what brought him here,” Craven said.

Since CNN’s program on Mother Guerin ran last month, Craven said her workload has tripled as she’s received hundreds of calls, e-mails and letters. One couple from New England made a detour on their drive home from Florida.

“Another lady from Vegas called and asked me to send her everything I’ve got on Mother Theodore,” Craven said.

Craven said that many of Guerin’s new fans ask for help for sick friends, for lost jobs, for peace. Like Domini, many aren’t Catholic.

“I tell them I don’t think God is Catholic, and they look at me like I’m nuts,” Craven said. “God is much bigger than any one religion.”

When Craven asked Domini if he had anything to eat, he told her he’d been fasting. She took him to the dining hall to eat with the sisters and offered him a room in the men’s wing of the facility.

“I warned him he was going to be doted on by a lot of grandma-types,” Craven said.

Domini spent two days with the sisters, who told him about what Saint Guerin had meant to them and about their service.

“We’ve been told by a lot of people that when they come onto the grounds, they feel a real sense of peace that we are this oasis in this modern jungle,” Craven said. “We feel this, but because we live here sometimes we need a reminder. Andrew did just that.”

At the end of his stay, the sisters gave Domini some books, prayer cards and notes and asked him to come back soon.

Domini hadn’t been able to tell his friend, Fred Lewis, about his walk until Thursday. Lewis, in his 60s, had been too ill to receive visitors but was well enough Thursday to drive to see Domini after reading about his pilgrimage in a local newspaper.

Lewis still looked unwell, Domini said, but he thinks the trek was nonetheless worthwhile.

“I’ve been inspired,” Domini said. “I trusted in Providence to get me through this just like (Mother Guerin) did with her journey.

“We are here to make the world a better place,” he said, “just like the sisters do every day.”

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Catholic Church • Journeys

1. tony

What a pity we don't educate our children to become rational and sane. Prayer changes nothing, or else we wouldn't need health or life insurance.

April 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • Greek

What ever happened to if you have on thing good to say then keep your mouth shut? I get it you dislike religion but this article is about religion so instead of being negative why don't you just not click on the link!!

April 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • Princess

Tony – I feel sorry for you, you seem like a miserable human being. Although I'm not religious, I hope someone prays for you. You seem so angry and it's clear you don't believe in a purpose as your an empty individual. If there is no purpose to your life, just end it now and stop perpetuating small-minded hate. You think you sound articulate and intelligent but in fact, your come across as ignorant and a little sad. You don't have a valid argument, you have an opinion, and everyone has that. So what if you don't believe, fine. Stop putting other people's opinions down you Negative Nancy (lol).

April 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Heidi

Tony – I agree with you and have thought about doing "The Walk." That is from the south Pyranees (sp?) to Santiago de Compostela. Now that on is one that could take 2 weeks to months to walk in the name of a pilgrimage. And you don't have to believe, but I do anyway.

April 14, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • jason s

Its ok tony. Im with you.

April 14, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
    • Kenny

I'm with you Tony, it would have been far more refreshing to read that this guy focused his concern for his friend's illness into a constructive activity. If Domini decided to buckle down, pass all his classes with high marks, graduate from med school, and spend his life trying to cure cancer, I would give this kid all the credit in the world. Instead, he skipped class to walk 70 miles...

April 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
  2. Foo

I wonder if he knows his name Domini is Latin for "of the Lord."

April 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
    • RebHart

Foo, that is really cool. I hope someone has pointed that out to Domini.

April 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
  3. Hadenuffyet

Just about anyone can use a keyboard...too bad...

April 14, 2012 at 4:01 pm |
    • palintwit

You'll find that most teabaggers will borrow a computer from their trailer park manager.

April 14, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • RebHart

Are you referring to yourself or the person who wrote the story??

April 14, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  4. Me

He believed and that's huge if we took time to find the peace he found we all would be better human beings stop the hating he shoul be praised i don't think just saying I am Christian born again or whatever people say to feel good about their religion is enough, be god to others love thy neighbor I don't think Jesus would approve of guns as part of religious believe I am Christian some people say but if somebody croces my house I would kill him is that christian ? I ask believe in god trust him and no guns needed

April 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • tony

What a waste.

April 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • Timetowinialwayswin

Jesus told his desciples to stay armed with their swords. Though he did tell them in a particular instance to stop using them, it wasnt because it was wrong, it was because he was doing the will of his father.

April 14, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
  5. palintwit

This guy reminds me of those teabaggers that crawl a mile over broken glass just to sniff the tire tracks of the truck that took Sarah Palin's dirty underwear to the laundry.

April 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Betty Z. Smith

what ????

April 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • RebHart

Wow!! Hope you didn't hurt yourself coming up with that line!

Instead of just sitting around bashing everybody who has something positive to say, get out in the real world and do something worthwhile to help make the world a bit better.

April 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
    • Princess

Amen RebHart!! (really lol'ng!)

April 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • El

I'll have fun lynching you palinwit. Liberals are going to be hunted like animals.

April 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  6. Spiritually Perplexed

This is a great tale of someone who wished to do something for a friend.

For those who wish to bring religion into this situation-in some fashion or another-have become jaded and out of touch with the true spirit that is humanity.

If someone believes, let them believe in what they choose unless they infringe on you as a person.

It is difficult to dispute that there is some type of creator due to the order of the universe. But, it is equally difficult to state that any religion or prophet has the "true" answer.

Religions and faiths are all like language...they all wish to convey a message through a different dialect.

April 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
  7. chedar888

Everything intention comes in our mind

April 14, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  8. gecul

Did the friend benefit from this foolishness?

April 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Spiritually Perplexed

Foolishness is when you consume energy to form a thought.

April 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm |
    • joderito

Maybe not. But I certainly have.

April 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • Betty Z. Smith

this young man's life has been spiritually enriched a million fold; it's sad how our society is hell bent on consumerism and knows nothing of the spirit

April 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Religion

When reached for comment, Domini's ailing friend said "Wow, what a moron. I guess when you drop out of school you have nothing better to do."

April 14, 2012 at 5:30 pm |
  9. WDinDallas

This one definitely got the athiests going.

Will I really burn in hell?

No, this guy is crazy, right? (someone help me here)

Ha ha ha

April 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • Hadenuffyet

Unfortunately nobody can "prove" otherwise , even the very learned aren't sure about the concept of what's real.

April 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
    • tony

But the evidence for and against is. 15 billion years of just Physics vs. 0 of any god.

April 14, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • Hadenuffyet

Could there possibly be any "tampering" of said evidence?

April 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
  10. DHumeSaves

Prayer is useless, and can be potentially harmful. It strengthens people's conviction that something that is equivalent to believing humanities' problems will be solved by merely thinking about how they will will help solve your problems. Prayer also emboldens people to believe that conducting actions with baseless justifications is a virtue, and will allow people to conquer the supposed test that is cast onto all of us, when oddly, the test giver already knows the results.

April 14, 2012 at 3:45 pm |
    • Hadenuffyet

You know what they say about opinions...

April 14, 2012 at 3:49 pm |
    • wrm

I'm sure everyone's heart is warmed by your need to tell them why they are all f00lish; to be led to the truth. I know you're just a young lad, but you aren't going to win this battle. Believe whatever you want to believe and leave people to do as they wish.

April 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • tony

Just leave other peoples children be too. Oh justta minute, that's what churches do best – "teach" children.

April 14, 2012 at 4:07 pm |
    • RebHart

Sounds like you've spent alot more time thinking about other people praying than actually trying it for yourself to see what positive effect it might have in your life.

April 14, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  11. Hmm

How is prayer supposed to work for someone who is not religious???

April 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • WDinDallas

I guess he believes.....Amen

April 14, 2012 at 3:50 pm |
  12. Sam Yaza

Time and energy would have been better spent with that girl or guy you love in bed for that filling of being at peace.

The quickest way to heaven is to climb the statue of the demon my friend

[youtube=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDGQTlJjCrg&w=640&h=360]

get enlightened

April 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
  13. Annie's Daughter

What an uplifting story and inspiring young man! I believe a divine influence moved him to perform this sacrific of love. May God continue to bless him and direct him.

April 14, 2012 at 3:43 pm |
    • gecul

Ha Ha!

April 14, 2012 at 3:54 pm |
    • tony

Like he directed Santorum to put his 3 yr old into the NRA.

April 14, 2012 at 4:08 pm |
  14. palintwit

There's no doubt in my mind that this guy was boinking those nuns. I wonder if he's going back for more?

April 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm |
    • Hadenuffyet

your name suits you..

April 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • RebHart

Fortunately for the nuns, Domini showed up instead of you 'cause I'm pretty sure that thought never crossed his mind! On the other hand, I'm 100% sure it's what YOU were thinking you would have tried to do if you had been there!

April 14, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  15. wrm

It neither pics my pocket nor breaks my leg... if that's what it takes to make you feel better man, more power to you.

April 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  16. André

God is imaginary.

And that guy who walked 70 miles ? He's an idiot.

April 14, 2012 at 3:41 pm |
  17. Chad

Domini , people react differently to the call of God.

Now, it's time to learn about Jesus Christ!

April 14, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Rachel

Chad-You raise a very good point!

April 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
    • Religion

Yes it is time to learn about Jesus Christ. Step 1...get your wallet out.

April 14, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  18. Reality

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS:

JC's family and friends had it right 2000 years ago ( Mark 3: 21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.")

Said passage is one of the few judged to be authentic by most contemporary NT scholars. e.g. See Professor Ludemann's conclusion in his book, Jesus After 2000 Years, p. 24 and p. 694.

Actually, Jesus was a bit "touched". After all he thought he spoke to Satan, thought he changed water into wine, thought he raised Lazarus from the dead etc. In today's world, said Jesus would be declared legally insane.

Or did P, M, M, L and J simply make him into a first century magic-man via their epistles and gospels of semi-fiction? Many contemporary NT experts after thorough analyses of all the scriptures go with the latter magic-man conclusion with J's gospel being mostly fiction.

Obviously, today's followers of Paul et al's "magic-man" are also a bit on the odd side believing in all the Christian mumbo jumbo about bodies resurrecting, and exorcisms, and miracles, and "magic-man atonement, and infallible, old, European/Utah white men, and 24/7 body/blood sacrifices followed by consumption of said sacrifices. Yummy!!!!

So why do we really care what a first century CE, illiterate, long-dead, preacher/magic man would do or say?

Bottom line: The topic fellow simply wasted his time. He should have spent the time studying!!

April 14, 2012 at 2:12 pm |

A thought: why would the apostles that knew the historical figure Jesus be willing to die for lies about a "magic man?" That makes no sense. They gained nothing through their ministry. They must have genuinely that Jesus was who he said he was.

April 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • Hadenuffyet

So goes another...opinion...

April 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Reality

The "martyrdoms" of the apostles are mostly single attestations and therefore historically unreliable. Dying for bad theology and flawed history also is not unique as witnessed by today's crazy, Muslim, koranic-driven, suicide bombers.

April 14, 2012 at 4:02 pm |

Another thought: Would you be willing to die for something you know to be a lie?

April 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm |

"People die all the time for bad theology"

Yes, but there are MANY fewer examples of people dying for bad theology that they made up.

April 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • thecollegeadmissionsguru

"A third thought: If the resurrection of Jesus were a fantastic lie that the apostles were trying to spread and pass off as real, why would they record things like 500 people seeing the resurrected Christ and also commenting that most of those 500 people were still alive at the time that the Gospels were written. Also, specifics about how to find people that saw the resurrected Christ are recorded in the Gospels. It it was a lie, the Gospel would have not survived. The people referenced in the Gospels themselves would have discredited the story and that would have been the end of it."

First of all you are incorrect in several statements. ONE: NONE of the gospels were written by anyone who actually met Jesus. It is unlikely that ANY of the so called 500 who saw Jesus resurrected were still alive when the gospels were written, if they existed at all, which is doubtful. Finally, Why wouldn't the writers of the gospels have written fantastic stories about Jesus, remember that many of the people of the time believed in Magic, and what better way to have them believe in the Jesus than to give him magical powers. My friend, read something other than what is written by your Christian Appologetics folks, please.

April 14, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • Greg Powell

Mr. Reality: Your post saddens me. Your cynical arrogance blinds you not only to Jesus Christ, the historical God incarnate, but also to His millions of lovely, flawed followers across this planet. I can't judge you, because I was once just like you, arrogantly accusing Christians of belief in mythology. But then, like C.S. Lewis, I was "surprised by joy." Like the Apostle Paul, and every other regenerated believer, I encountered the One who died for my sins and rose from the grave. He changed my mind, and He changed my heart and my life. The thing you need to remember about true Christians is that we have a real relationship with the One you mock. We love Him because He first loved us. We speak to Him, and He speaks to us. No pseudo-intellectual argument can stand against what we have actually encountered. I pray that you will stop stiff-arming Jesus, and let His love and power change your life forever. Right now He offers you forgiveness, relationship, life, healing, freedom, transformation and purpose. Just acknowledge Him as the eternal Son of the Father, the divine Savior and King who died for your sins and rose again, and place your trust in what He did for you on the cross, and you will be spiritually reborn into a new life of loving relationship with the God who made you. (You will also get a giant new family that spans the earth!) And if you feel you just can't believe, take a risk and ask Jesus to reveal Himself to you. He's listening.

April 14, 2012 at 4:20 pm |
    • Timetowinialwayswin

Most NT scholars do nothing of the sort. Troll elsewhere. Thanks.

April 14, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Reality

Saving Christians from the Infamous Resurrection Con/

From that famous passage: In 1 Corinthians 15 St. Paul reasoned, "If Christ has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith."

To wit;

From a major Catholic university's theology professor’s grad school white-board notes:

Jesus and Mary's bodies are therefore not in Heaven.

Only Luke records it. (Luke mentions it in his gospel and Acts, i.e. a single attestation and therefore historically untenable). The Ascension ties Jesus' mission to Pentecost and missionary activity of Jesus' followers.

The Assumption has multiple layers of symbolism, some are related to Mary's special role as "Christ bearer" (theotokos). It does not seem fitting that Mary, the body of Jesus' Virgin-Mother (another biblically based symbol found in Luke 1) would be derived by worms upon her death. Mary's assumption also shows God's positive regard, not only for Christ's male body, but also for female bodies." "

The Vatican quickly embellished this story with a lot CYAP.

With respect to rising from the dead, we also have this account:

An added note: As per R.B. Stewart in his introduction to the recent book, The Resurrection of Jesus, Crossan and Wright in Dialogue,

p.4

p.168. by Ted Peters:

Even so, asking historical questions is our responsibility. Did Jesus really rise from the tomb? Is it necessary to have been raised from the tomb and to appear to his disciples in order to explain the rise of early church and the transcription of the bible? Crossan answers no, Wright answers, yes. "

So where are the bones"? As per Professor Crossan's analyses in his many books, the body of Jesus would have ended up in the mass graves of the crucified, eaten by wild dogs, covered with lime in a shallow grave, or under a pile of stones.

April 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
    • Reality

( Mark 3: 21 "And when his friends heard of it, they went out to lay hold on him: for they said, He is beside himself.") .

All evangelicals and priests believe the NT to be true to include Mark 3: 21. There are some professors of religious history and theology who have gone the extra mile and studied all the scriptural docu-ments from the first to third century CE and they too have concluded that Mark 3:21 is authentic. See below for some of the references said professors have used in their studies:

o 1. Historical Jesus Theories, earlychristianwritings.com/theories.htm – the names of many of the contemporary historical Jesus scholars and the ti-tles of their over 100 books on the subject.
      2. Early Christian Writings, earlychristianwritings.com/
      – a list of early Christian doc-uments to include the year of publication–

30-60 CE Passion Narrative
      100-150 Preaching of Peter
      100-160 Gospel of the Ebionites
      100-160 Gospel of the Nazoreans
      100-160 Shepherd of Hermas
      100-160 2 Peter

3. Historical Jesus Studies, faithfutures.org/HJstudies.html,
      – "an extensive and constantly expanding literature on historical research into the person and cultural context of Jesus of Nazareth"
      4. Jesus Database, faithfutures.org/JDB/intro.html–"The JESUS DATABASE is an online annotated inventory of the traditions concerning the life and teachings of Jesus that have survived from the first three centuries of the Common Era. It includes both canonical and extra-canonical materials, and is not limited to the traditions found within the Christian New Testament."
      5. Josephus on Jesus mtio.com/articles/bissar24.htm
      6. The Jesus Seminar, mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/seminar.html#Criteria
      7. Writing the New Testament- mystae.com/restricted/reflections/messiah/testament.html
      8. Health and Healing in the Land of Israel By Joe Zias
      joezias.com/HealthHealingLandIsrael.htm
      9. Economics in First Century Palestine, K.C. Hanson and D. E. Oakman, Palestine in the Time of Jesus, Fortress Press, 1998.

Added references are available upon request.

April 14, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  19. Rainer Braendlein

The gospel:

God, the Father, delivered God, the Son, for our sins and raised him from the dead for our justification.

Believe that and get baptized (if you have yet received infant baptism, just remember your infant baptism and don't get rebaptized).

Christ's atonement is so great, because it was a divine person, who died for us. Jesus Christ was God and man at the same time. Jesus Christ was the eternal Son of God, who came down from heaven and lived a sinless life in the power of the Holy Spirit. Jesus remained with God even in the garden Gethsemane expecting the terrible crucifixion. Jesus is the firstborn of a new mankind, which always stays in God in contrast to Adam and his descendants (the ordinary, current mankind), which always forsake God.

Jesus was confirmed as Son of God by the resurrection from the dead. He got not punished for own sins, but for our sins. His execution was not legitimate and God finally repealed the false sentence. The mankind falsely gave Jesus a cross, but God gave him the throne of the universe.

The false doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church:

Catholics presume they could add on something to Christ's atonement or complete it by their good deeds. That is a complete nonsense. Let us regard that a person of the eternal Trinity, a divine person, suffered for us and how shall we human, sinful, mortal wrecks add on something to that? That is impossible.

There is no need for praying a rosary, veneration of saints, becoming a monk, buying indulgence, fasting, almsgiving, etc., in order to gain God's forgiveness.

If we have sinned, we shall regard again and regard again Christ's atonement and ask him for forgiveness. We may even practice privat confession in the presence of a Christian brother.

Our first baptism remains always valid and we can return to it every time, also if we have committed sins.

The Roman Catholic infant baptism is valid, but if someone wants to live according to his baptism, which is a divine call for discipleship, he should leave the Roman Church, which has corrupted by papacy and become a real Christian (www.confessingchurch.wordpress.com).

A real Christian lives a life of practical righteousness and spiritual love to his fellow human beings by the power of the Eternal Spirit. The love fullfills the law, that means the 10 commandments and the whole Torah. The life of a true Christian is not in conflict with the law, because he is led by the Legislator.

April 14, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
    • sam

I am so HAPPY that I was not cursed with the burden of living your life, always bowing and scraping, and worrying about what a 2000-years-dead Jewish zombie thinks about how I live my life.

April 14, 2012 at 3:47 pm |
    • Schuft

Must be a Baptist.

April 14, 2012 at 3:48 pm |
    • David

Rainer – Your despise for the Roman Catholic Church is both uninformed and unchristian. The main difference between Evangelical Christianity and the Catholic faith is that we believe that salvation, although through Christ alone, is a process of faith inspiring works, inspiring faith, etc; while most evangelicals believe that Salvation comes through a one-time conversion experience, that if true, will beget works, which will hopefully deepen our faith, etc. I realize these are slightly different notions, but are they really all so very different that we have split Christianity into a zillion denominations who practically hate each other, despite the call of the Holy Spirit for Christians to be united? How is it that a little respect for the Saints who have gone before us, and have triumphed through the Holy Spirit and led Godly lives contrary to message of the Gospel? Jesus, is the one and only true way, but that doesn't mean we can garner a little inspiration along the way. I am a Christian first, and a Roman Catholic second. As for me – if you believe in your heart the basic tenets spelled out in the Nicene Creed you are a Christian in my book. We may have our theological difference, and they may be worthy of some debate. However, it should not separate us from our common goal of being salt and light to a world that is desparately in need of the Gospel message.

April 14, 2012 at 3:56 pm |
  20. Bah

Sheer desperation and gullibility.
    If this clueless idiot was rich, he would have given all his money away to the first fraud that came along touting a miracle cure of jalapeno and horseradish enemas to cure his cancer.
    This is the sort of clueless brain-dead person who will clearly do the stupidest things out of ignorant desperation.
    He walked all that way for nothing. Wasted hours and days of his life. And he's going to die just like everyone else does.
    Too bad he didn't die along the way before we had to hear about his simple-minded idiocy. What a waste of web space.

April 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
    • durandal

Unless you're working on a cure for cancer, he did more than you could or would. A demonstration of love, even if you think it's misplaced, is not a wasteful thing.

April 14, 2012 at 3:40 pm |
    • Matthew Kilburn

So, where do you get your ideas of truth from? How do you explain the creation of the universe? The purpose of life? The events after death? Or are you, like most atheists, content to say that there is no God, and shrug off any of the holes that are left by science and "reason"?

The simple minded ones aren't the people who can't explain their answers...its the ones who never bother looking for the answers at all.

April 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • Sarah

He didn't waste his time and go all that way for nothing. It made him feel like he was at least doing something for his friend, and it brought him peace. (And I'm an atheist, by the way. Hateful speech like that is what gives atheism a bad name. Why can't you just except that the customs that bring comfort/fulfillment to someone might different that what gives meaning to you?)

April 14, 2012 at 3:46 pm |
    • redjewel

Mr. Domini was the gentleman who did the walking. It is his friend Mr. Fred Lewis who has cancer.
      Read the story again,get your facts straight before you spew rubbish.
      You sir are the idiot.

April 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm |
    • kromankorsj

Are you kidding me? Would you prefer that he simply sit on his couch and do absolutely nothing? Who are you to say that he was wasting his time? He caught the attention of a national news organization, and a credible one at that. The only reason why you would post something so heartless is because you have done nothing as brave or amazing in your own pathetic life.

April 14, 2012 at 3:52 pm |
    • Darren

Can YOU explain the creation of the universe? So, if we don't know how it happened, then it must be god. That's a great way to live your life. Was it not god who gave his friend cancer in the first place? If it Is all in god's plan and this is how gods wants it to be then why pray for him to change it. If it in his plan for his friend to get cancer and die then praying will do nothing. I'm sorry, but you can't have your cake and eat it too.

April 14, 2012 at 3:57 pm |
    • RebHart

Bah, you write as though someone forced you to sit and read what you refer to as a waste of web space. The headline was clear as to the content of the story so why did you read it? And why did it disturb you so much that you took time to write a reply?

April 14, 2012 at 4:04 pm |
    • austin30

so he was grasping at straws,so what, i guess you've never wanted to make a sacrifice for a friend in need,and what you wrote is bad karma!!!

April 14, 2012 at 4:06 pm |
    • tony

Where is there any evidence of a "purpose" in life? Only in scriptures written by people who just wanted there to be one.

April 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • Austin30

so he was grasping at straws,so what, i guess you've never wanted to make a sacrifice for a friend in need,and what you wrote is bad karma.

April 14, 2012 at 4:10 pm |
    • tony

Where is there any evidence of a "purpose" in life? Other than from humans who want to believe they should be important enough to have one

April 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • RebHart

So, Tony, if you believe your life has absolutely no purpose, what motivates you to get up every day? And, why does someone who sees no purpose in life read stories like the one about Domini? It sounds like you are actually hoping to find that there is more to life than what you have experienced to date.

April 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm |