home
RSS
Liberty's choice of Romney leads to angry student response
Students at Liberty University bow in prayer during commencement in 2007. Current students were angered by the choice of Mitt Romney for the 2012 graduation speaker.
April 20th, 2012

Liberty's choice of Romney leads to angry student response

By Laura Bernardini and Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Liberty University students and alumni are accusing the Christian school of violating its own teachings by asking Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints whose adherents are called Mormons, to deliver its 2012 commencement address.

By Friday morning, more than 700 comments had been posted on the school's Facebook page about the Thursday announcement - a majority of them decidedly against the Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr.’s invitation, citing that the school had taught them Mormonism isn’t part of the Christian faith.

“I can’t support Romney and I am happy I decided not to walk (in the commencement) this year,” wrote student Josh Bergmann. “Liberty University should have gotten a Christian to speak not someone who practices a cult. Shame on you Liberty University.”

Janet Loeffler, a 53-year-old freshman at Liberty, expressed her anger at the decision when contacted by CNN. She also sent a copy of the page of the freshman textbook “The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics” which includes the passage, “Mormon doctrine stands in stark contrast to Jewish and Christian monotheism, which teaches that there is only one true God and that every other ‘God’ is a false god.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Loeffler’s daughter, Sarah Misch, 33, of Unionville, Virginia, who is also a student at the school said, “I am glad I am not graduating this year. I would not want to end my studies at a Christian university by being sent in to the world at commencement by a Mormon. We came to Liberty because of our faith in Jesus; not for political reasons.”

Holly Stanton Morgan, another student, posted to Facebook, “I am glad that my husband and I won’t be attending his commencement. Mormonism is not Christianity. My commencement is next year. Hopefully they choose more wisely.”

Mark DeMoss, a Liberty graduate, member of the Board of Trustees and a senior adviser to the Romney campaign, said on Friday, “We have had a Jewish commencement speaker, we have had a Catholic commencement speaker, and so, I think people are certainly entitled to their opinion. Social Media certainly provides an outlet for people’s opinions, but I think it is a great thing for the university.”

DeMoss also noted that the night before graduation is the annual Baccalaureate and that event will feature an evangelical Christian speaker.

Liberty University was founded as Lynchburg Baptist College in 1971 by the influential pastor and Moral Majority co-founder Jerry Falwell. He founded the school to be a Christian university for evangelical believers, according to Liberty’s website.

Today, Liberty brands itself as the largest evangelical university in the world, with 82,500 students enrolled either on campus or online.

Liberty University would not comment beyond the press release it sent out Thursday announcing Romney would speak. There will be 14,000 graduates for the May 12th ceremony. The University announced that it expected 34,000 guests.

Previous commencement speakers included previous Republican presidential candidates Sen. John McCain in 2006 and Ronald Reagan in 1980.

The relationship between Mormons and evangelicals has been tested as of late. With Romney as the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party, many political commentators are asking whether the evangelical base, an important voting bloc to the GOP, will come out for Romney.

If those votes hinge on how evangelicals see Mormonism, Romney may need further outreach to the evangelical community. A recent Pew Research Center survey finds that nearly half (47%) of white evangelicals say that Mormonism is not a Christian religion. Sixty-six percent responded the Mormonism and their religion are “very or somewhat different.”

The charge of Mormonism as a cult is not a new one for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Michael Otterson, head of public affairs for the Church, wrote about the word in a 2011 column.

“As part of the rhetorical warfare that has come to characterize modern American political discourse, it was only a matter of time before someone once again used the term “cult” to describe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” Otterson wrote. He went on to describe the word as a, “a neat, shorthand and rather lazy way of putting a whole group into a box.”

The nation’s largest evangelical denomination, the Southern Baptist Conference, lists the LDS Church as a cult. They specifically cite differences in theology surrounding salvation, baptism, belief in the Trinity, and marriage. A major sticking point between other Christian traditions and Mormons is the Book of Mormon, which Mormons believe is divinely inspired scripture and on par with the Bible. Other Christians do not recognize the Book of Mormon as scripture.

CNN reached out to a LDS church spokesman for further comment but they demurred, stating that the story was a political story.

A Romney spokesman did not respond to questions about the issue.

Not all Facebook comments were negative, though. Tom Johnson added, “Mitt Romney has been invited to give a motivational speech, not a religious sermon. His religious beliefs do not have anything to do with his ability to give a motivational speech at commencement.”

And Kathy Creech added, “I, for one, am pleased that the future President of the United States will be speaking there!”

soundoff (1,597 Responses)
  1. helenecha

There's nothing but excuses. Did somebody ever expect barbecue commencement?

April 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  2. norma jean.

THE POINT OF HAVING A SPEAKER AT A GRADUATION CEREMONY IS TO ENCOURAGE STUDENTS TO GO OUT IN THE WORLD AND DO THE BEST POSSIBLE WITH THE EDUCATION THEY JUST WORKED SO HARD FOR.... THE POINT IS LOST WHEN THEY WERE NOT ABLE TO HAVE A SPEAKER THEY WANTED TO SHARE THIS DAY WITH!!! THEY GAIN NOTHING IF MITT ROMNNEY SPEAKS, IT'S ONLY TO PLEASE HIM, NOT THE STUDENTS , THEY DON'T WANT HIM AND IT CAN RUIN WHAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A MEMORABLE DAY FOR THESE YOUNG PEOPLE!!!!

April 21, 2012 at 9:53 pm |
    • Abinadi

BYU's motto is, "Enter to learn, go forth to serve!". So, what is "Liberty's motto? Something about being a bigot?

April 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
    • Anne

Norma Jean..
      You poor little thing.. how sad for you to be so closed minded.

April 24, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Numyorangay

Doody Romney will fit in well at Liberty which is itself a cult of the High Reverend Jerry Falwell, the white twin separated at birth of Reverend Jeremiah Wright.

April 21, 2012 at 9:49 pm |
  4. Amanda Wolf

I read that mormons have several wives and forbid women from going to school and treat their wives as servants. Also use old fashioned ways to cook and clean. So no use of microwave ovens, cloth washers and dryers. Their women live in a kind f primitive and harsh homes. 🙁

April 21, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
    • peajayach

There’s barely a shred of intelligence in your comments… sounds like a great deal of self-imposed ignorance.

April 21, 2012 at 9:51 pm |
    • Mormon Mom

I'm a Mormon wife so I can tell you first hand that everything you've said is false. I don't cook very often, but I assure you I use all the latest gadgets when I do. I am a college-educated, working mom of 4. I am no slave or servant. In fact my husband cooks and cleans more than I do!

April 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
    • A Serious Question

So Mormon Mom, this is a serious question. How can an educated person such as yourself read about Joseph Smith and not come to the conclusion that he made the whole thing up, just like L. Ron Hubbard? You would have to either rely on totally biased sources to not see that, or just plain refuse to consider it.

How is it that the story told in the book of Mormon, with it's obviously impossible archaeology, can be believable to an educated person such as yourself?

I ask because you seem intelligent enough and educated enough, so I wonder where the critical thinking fails to occur? Is it that you grew up in it? Is it the alienation that occiurs in the Mormon community if someone dissents?

I would love to headr a thoughtful answer from an intelligent Mormon, instead of the usual zealot propaganda of people like albinadi

April 22, 2012 at 1:13 am |
    • Daryl

I will reply for the Mormon Mom. The truth is I am a very skeptical individual of many things. I am highly educated and I have read many books from many faiths. I love all men and women and think almost all religions in the world benefit society and bless the hearts of their followers. So in answer to your question about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon, I can say only this. To me it is impossible to read the Book of Mormon and to study its words and to believe it is anything BUT the word of God. If you study the process undertaken to translate that book of ancient scripture and the amount of time it took to do so you too will see how utterly impossible it would be for a young farmboy to make it up. It contains more new Pronouns, more story arcs, more new grammer, more geographic explinations, more plots and more characters than the whole of William Shakespeare's works COMBINED that he wrote throughout his entire lifetime. Not to mention the fact that it follows an ancient bible sentencing structure exactly; the difinitive patterns of which weren't discovered until 30 years ago by an entire team of Harvard experts. Also throughout the more than 1,000 years it takes place over, there is not a single timeline contradiction in the entire book. You call yourself an educated person so ask yourself this question: you think you could do alll of that in just 2 months? Or in 2 lifetimes for that matter? In spite of ample evidence none of that even matters in the end because you can obtain a testimony for yourself of the truthfulness of the book. Read it with a sincere desire and I promise you will understand. In ancient days, if God gave people in the Eastern Hemisphere scripture (The Bible) why would he neglect all of his children in the Western Hemisphere the same thing (The Book of Mormon)? The bible itself is made up of dozens of books of individual scripture all later compiled into one book, so is it too much to accept that maybe there are other books of uncomplied scripture that WEREN'T gathered at the same time? What if the only species of animals we accepted were the ones discovered 3,000 years ago? Have we discovered any new species since then? If God has always spoken through his prophets throughout all the ages before now, why do you believe he would suddenly stop in our day? If Jesus needed be baptized by authority in His day, why wouldn't men and women need to be baptized BY AUTHORITY in our day? Don't you see how many questions are left unanswered? Don't you want to know the answers? Where did you come from? Why were you born? Where do you go after you die? When other religions tell you not to trouble yourself with such questions, the Mormon church will actually give you the ANSWERS you seek. And most importantly, every answer they give will center around Jesus Christ. I believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, just like I believe in the Bible. I also believe that God still talks to men today the same way he always has, through his prophets. And I wonder what God would say about all of the efforts he has made to bring us these words to us today, only to have the ignorant reject them. Read the Book of Mormon. Study it. Pray about it. Then you'll discover it for yourself.

April 22, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
    • A Serious Question

I asked for an intelligent response.

April 22, 2012 at 7:03 pm |
    • Anne

@a serious question..

You can't handle an intelligent response. You don't want to understand... You are a bigot.

April 24, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Holly in CA

When I was a student at BYU (the largest Mormon University), we had weekly addresses given by a variety of speakers, many who were not Mormons. Attendance was always high at each event and the students were extremely respectful regardless of who the speaker was.

April 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
  6. Abinadi

@ pp. you said BYU would never let a Catholic speak. It gives me great pleasure to print this excerpt from a speach by Francis E George, a very prominent Catholic who spoke at BYU. By the way, the students did not protest. Mormons are not bigots.

Catholics and Latter-day Saints:
    Partners in the Defense of Religious Freedom

FRANCIS E. GEORGE

His Eminence Francis Cardinal George, OMI, was President
    of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops and Archbishop of Chicago
    when he gave this forum address at Brigham Young University on 23 February 2010.

© Francis E. George. All rights reserved.

Complete volumes of Speeches are available wherever LDS books are sold.

For further information contact:
    Speeches, 218 University Press Building, Provo, Utah 84602.
    (801) 422-2299 / E-mail: speeches@byu.edu / Speeches Home Page

I.
    Thank you for your warm welcome, and thank you, President Samuelson, for your very kind introduction. As you point out, I am the Catholic Archbishop of Chicago and also the President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. This dual role allows me to bring greetings from both the Catholic community of Chicago and from the Catholic bishops of this country to all of you—students, faculty, staff, and administration of this distinguished university, now marking its 135th year of service in higher education, and also to our guests from the surrounding community, many of whom I’m told are watching on satellite TV.
    n
    A s a cardinal of the Holy Roman Church, I have a special bond with the Bishop of Rome, Pope Benedict XVI, whose specific service is one of preserving unity among Catholic believers everywhere and also of fostering peace and respect for human life a nd dignity among all people of goodwill. As a cardinal priest, that is, as a member of the clergy of Rome itself, quite apart fr n o m my being Archbishop of Chicago, I have the privilege and obligation to vote in a papal election. The cardinals assemble at the death of one pope in order to elect his successor because they are the clergy of Rome; but the choice of the Bishop of Rome, the one who sits in the chair of St. Peter, is, for us Catholics, we pray and hope and believe, in the hands of God, our Heavenly Father. Most important of all, I am a bishop of the Catholic Church and, therefore, a pastor to the people whom C h ri st Jesus has given me to love and to care for, first of all in two counties of Illinois, Cook and Lake Counties, which count 2.3 m illion baptized Catholics in the Archdiocese of Chicago, but also with a shared concern for all the Churches. Catholic bishops collectively oversee the Catholic Church with and under the Successor of Saint Peter, the head of the Apostolic College, the Bishop of Rome.

So I come before you today as a religious leader who shares with you a love for our own country but also, like many, a growing concern about its moral health as a good society. In recent years Catholics and members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have stood more frequently side by side in the public square to defend human life and dignity. In addition to working together to alleviate poverty here and abroad, we have

April 21, 2012 at 9:11 pm |
  7. ?

Will a Mormon step up and admit that Joseph Smith was arrested and jailed on numerous occasions for fraud? Specifically for claiming he had magic stones that allowed him to find buried treasure? When he produced no treasure, he was arrested. This is a historical fact, the arrest records are on file in Ohio. Does a Mormon poster have the courage to debunk this claim?

April 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • Kenjitheman

could you site your sources please. facts are only facts when you can prove them. Also, please do tell which jail he went to.

April 21, 2012 at 9:10 pm |
    • Abinadi

@ ?.  Maybe you can explain to me.  Hebrews 4: 5 and 6, as well as John 15: 16 clearly teaches that a man must be called of God and given authority to preach the gospel and administer in the ordinances.  This authority clearly must come from apostles and prophets as taught in Ephesians chapter 2.  The protestants apostacized from the Catholic church.  So, where does your authority to preach to me come from?

April 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm |
    • Holly in CA

Smith was beaten and jailed several times. None of the charges were ever substantiated. He was actually murdered while he was in jail. The Mormons have a long history of persecution. For over 100 years it was legal in Missouri to kill a Mormon. Early Mormons endured unimaginable suffering at the hands of mobs in Missouri, Illinois, and Ohio. Mobs beat and slaughtered Mormon men, women, and children. Through it all they managed to make it to Utah and today are 14 million members strong.

April 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm |
    • Yeah right

Kenji, just read the Wikipedia article on Smith.

April 21, 2012 at 9:19 pm |
    • Abinadi

By the way,?, when you kick Mormonism, you kick it upstairs. I want to thank you and the other detractors for your fine posts. When you Baptist ministers berate us it makes the people in your congregations curious about why you are so terrified of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I'll bet we gain at least 100 new converts every time one of these blogs run. PLEASE KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!!!! 🙂

April 21, 2012 at 9:22 pm |
    • Grew up in Utah

Peter, James, and John were arrested and beaten a few times. Paul was arrested, tried, and found innocent a few times. Christ was arrested, tried, found innocent, condemned, beaten and crucified. Most true prophets seem to seal their words with their own martyred blood.

April 21, 2012 at 9:28 pm |
    • Abinadi

Oh, those who want to know more about the church can go to mormon.org

April 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm |
  8. Franz

All this talk of Mormons not being Christian is ridiculous. Mormons worship Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. Mormons sing of Christ. They celebrate his birth and his resurrection. The actual name of the Mormon church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Mormons study the Bible (Old and New Testaments) and accept it as the word of God. Mormons recognize that salvation is possible only through Jesus Christ.

April 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Amanda

FRANZ; mormons have several wives and they support the left, or liberals. In Guatemala they sided with the socalist guerrillas.
      I not a Mormon,however, I have heard the mormons interperet their bible differently than you christians do.

I f read a post here, its writers blamed our President for America's division. President Obama has tried to unify and reconciliate us ; rather, the tea party is demanding more real power. And it is gaining it: romney is a mormon and tea party member, the candidate against orrin hatch is also a radical tea party senator; and even more conservative than hatch. It seems the tea party leaders are slowly but surely getting if not the high posts they seek, at least the notoriety to run in the future and get the posts they want.

April 21, 2012 at 9:21 pm |
    • Holly in CA

@ Amanda...it appears you have been fed misinformation regarding Mormons. I suspect this is the root of the problem with Mitt Romney speaking at Liberty. Students at Liberty have been fed so much misinformation, taught to despise this religion that they can't separate the garbage they've learned from the truth.

April 21, 2012 at 9:33 pm |
  9. Kenjitheman

All you haters had better repent for in the last days you will wish you were a "mormon".

April 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
    • AGuest9

In "the last days". Don't try scaring me with your stories, or attempting to poison my childrens' minds.

April 21, 2012 at 8:56 pm |
    • Kenjitheman

LOL. what stories and poison did i use? The haters alone poison your childrens minds and your garbage of hate is worse than anything i could possibly say.

April 21, 2012 at 9:07 pm |
    • AGuest9

"What stories"? Hello? The "last days" nonsense?

April 21, 2012 at 9:35 pm |
    • MikeH

Hey Kenji, what planet does god live on? Isn't it Cobol? I hear God is 6'2" tall, is that right Kenji? Kenji, what's the weather like on Cobol? Hey Kenji, when you become a god what planet are you going to live on?

April 21, 2012 at 9:41 pm |
    • Amanda Wolf

SIR OR LADY: NO HATE HERE WHATSOEVER 🙂 I DONT EVEN KNOW YOU. ROMNEY AND HIS MEAN ANTICS HAVE GIVEN THE MORMON FAITH A BAD NAME.

I GET MEDICAID UNDER PRESIDENT OBAMA. I FELL AND BROKE MY FOOT,WAS TREATED WELL AND NOW MY WALKING IS MUCH BETTER A;) UNDER WALKER BUSH I BROKE A LEG, GOT TRREATED BUT NO FREE BRACES. INSTEAD NOW I GOT THEM, THEY GIVE ME ENOUGH SUPPORT TO BALANCE MYSELF!

WALKER BUSH CAUSED A DIASASTER, YET ROMNEY ACCEPTED HIS ENDORSEMENT! THAT IS NO LIE. THE PICTURE OF THEM HOLDING EACH OTHER ON A PODIUM AND WAVING TO AN AUDIENCE APPEARED ON TV.,HERE AND NEWSPAPERS.
      eVEN CONSERVATIGE SITES NEWS LIKE HUFFINGTON NEWS SHOWED THE SAME NEWS.

April 21, 2012 at 9:58 pm |
  10. zago

As a Mormon Priest, the Gov baptized the dead. Who do things like that? Isnt that sorcery? I wouldnt walk with a VOODOO priest being the speaker. This is so disgusting. So much for Christians avid of power

April 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Abinadi

Psst. Your ignorance is showing!

April 21, 2012 at 8:49 pm |
    • ?

Psst. Your diaper is showing.

April 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm |
  11. zago

April 21, 2012 at 8:43 pm |
    • person that reads

..what shall they do which are BAPTIZED for the dead If the DEAD rise not at all...--1 Corinthians–lol read the new testament some time-ha

April 21, 2012 at 9:59 pm |
  12. zago

I wouldnt be able to walk with a voodoo priest being my speaker too

April 21, 2012 at 8:41 pm |
    • person that reads

1 cor. 15, PAUL's letter
      to show that the idea of the RESURRECTION MUST be true

April 21, 2012 at 10:02 pm |
  13. Reality

More postings for the doors of Liberty U:

Recognizing the flaws, follies and frauds in the foundations of Islam, Judaism and Christianity, the "bowers", kneelers" and "pew peasants" are converging these religions into some simple rules of life. No koran, bible, clerics, nuns, monks, imams, evangelicals, ayatollahs, rabbis, professors of religion or priests needed or desired.

Ditto for houses of "worthless worship" aka mosques, churches, basilicas, cathedrals, temples and synagogues.

April 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • justanotherguy60

Nothing like being a true atheist, your ignorance is showing and crickets are chirping, and your hate for those that have a true belief, even though there are some religions I am not in favor of.

April 21, 2012 at 8:57 pm |
    • Reality

The Agnostics' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly and based on the studies of historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
      and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
      human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven??

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
      preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
      named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
      girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
      the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
      a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
      Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
      many semi-fiction writers. A descent into Hell, a bodily resurrection
      and ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
      Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
      grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
      and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
      called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
      (references used are available upon request)

April 22, 2012 at 12:29 am |
  14. Dmb

@pp. BYU has had Catholics speak, and Jews, and Muslims, and those who profess no religion at all. Temper your stereotypes and generalities with facts.

April 21, 2012 at 8:25 pm |
  15. Karl

If they're looking for a Christian presidential hopeful, why not invite Obama? Maybe not their brand. I'm very eager to see whether this large segment of evangelical Christians, who so devoutly oppose Romney because he's not a Christian, will vote for the Christian (Obama) in this election. It will be a great test of their faith – are they more Republican or more Christian?

April 21, 2012 at 8:16 pm |
    • William Staples

Problem is, a lot of these Jesus freaks think have convinced themselves that Obama is a Muslim.

April 21, 2012 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Constantine

Regarding The Bible As The Only Word of God:

It was my namesake who setup the events that created The Bible at the First Council of Nicaea. Constantine melded Christianity with his Pagan Beliefs to strengthen his empire. Yes He was A LIFE LONG PAGAN never a Christian. Christmas is Christs's Birth? Nope it's Winter Solstice, an event for pagans. All Christianities holidays are pagan events. It was done this way to unite the two groups. Now this council they took scriptures that had been found and integrated them into a Bible(Bible literally means group of books). They voted on them, removing the ones they found to not follow what they believed as a whole. That is where Apocrypha comes from. Now who says they got the right scriptures? Or even all of them were found by that time or they even considered them all? Could there never be any other legitimate scripture?

Considering Mormons as a Cult and not Christian.:

Well on the loose terms you might be able to say they are, however almost all religions fit this description though. Mormons believe in GOD, Christ, and the Holy Spirit and the Bible just like other Christian Faiths. Major difference is they have a companion scripture The Book of Mormon and do not believe that the three listed above are one being. Based off the definition of a Christian, "Professing belief in Jesus as Christ or following the religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus," makes them a Christian.

Regarding Romney:

He might not be of your Faith but he is not coming as a preacher. He comes as a motivational speaker and he is a successful businessperson and may be the future President..That is all you have to see him as.

Stop Judging, Listen and You May Lean Something.

April 21, 2012 at 7:50 pm |
    • Nii

CONSTANTINE
      Constantine Caesar was not the one who wrote the Bible. Its a lie told by your Church. The Council of Jamnia, a Jewish Council, made the Canon of the Old Testament the Hebrew rather than Septuagint. This is how come the Apocrypha. They were books found only in the Septuagint/Greek OT.

April 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • Nii

Irenaeus, a bishop of de Early Xtian Church defined de Canon of de NT not a Council. Finally Constantine wanted de Bishops to define de Orthodox Christian Faith. Montanism, Arianism and Monophysitism are the other 3. Mormonism is Gnosticism not Christianity. Joseph Smith revived it.

April 21, 2012 at 8:11 pm |
    • Nii

Constantine Caesar's father, Constantius Caesar, was a Junior Emperor to Diocletian Caesar. He had a Christian wife by whom he had Constantine. The war he started was to stop persecution of Xtians,depopulation and grant toleration. He was baptised on his death bed like most Xtians of his time.

April 21, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
    • person that reads

cool stuff –

April 21, 2012 at 10:05 pm |
    • Amanda Wolf

ROMNEY IS NO SUCCESSFUL BUSINESSMAN,RATHER HE IS AN EXPERT SPECULATOR. HE SAID IT HIMSELF WHEN A REPORTER ASKED HIM IF HE EVERY ACCEPTED FEDERAL GRANTS. (THERE IS A NAME FOR IT, I FORGET NOW.) HE REPLIED:
      OF COURSE I HAVE, I TAKE ALL I CAN GET FROM THE GOVERNMENT."

THIS IS THE REAL ROMNEY: A FINANCIAL OPPORTUNIST! STILL YET HE OPPOSED SSA AND MEDICARE BENEFITS? AND NOW WANTS TO CUT EDUCATION? HOW COME HE TOOK FEDERAL MONEY BUT DENOUNCES PUBLIC AID TO NEEDY AMERICANS?

April 21, 2012 at 10:12 pm |
  17. jg

They are a cult. Why can't they just fess up to it?

April 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • David in FL

I'd be interested in your definition – you'd probably think the Catholic church is also a cult if you were using the same comparison. But lets get to the heart of thei issue, people like you fear differences and choose to close objectivity and due diligence in favor of traditions.

April 21, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
    • Uneducated redneck

I know whatcha mean JG.

April 21, 2012 at 7:44 pm |
    • pp

thats why all religious schools are hippocits....when it comes to politicians ...BYU would never have a cathlic speak ....so Liberty need to do the same ....what happen by keeping your virtues in faith......that is why more and more people are leaving churches.....all about money than faith....

April 21, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • Nii

1) Cult-worship ritual system. Christians and Jews belong to this cult. Muslims, JWs and Mormons do not. They each have theirs.
      2)Cult-Spiritually abusive religious organisation.-Mormons are accused as being this by former members. This is verified by psychaitric evaluation in some cases.

April 21, 2012 at 7:54 pm |
    • Nii

Lastly the Book of Mormon like the Quran, and New World Translation Bible is essentially different from the Christian Bible shared by the four Christian Faiths-Orthodox(Protestant, RCC, Eastern Orthodox), Monophysite(Coptic/Syrian Orthodox), Arian and Montanist(Jacobite). They are Gnostics.

April 21, 2012 at 8:28 pm |
    • Nii

SCOTT
      Christ 'll b glad 2 explain 2 u y He's a Jew but not a Pharisee, Scribe, Sadducee, Zealot, or Herodian. Not cos He hates them but He came 2 teach a Unique Way. Blurring things makes this less effective. I believe Hindus, Atheists, etc who love their neighbor as themself will go to Heaven.

April 21, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Nii

KABOOM
      Bigotry goes both ways. A Mormon is like a Moslem in relation to Christianity. They are not to be hated. Bigotry is me saying they are heretics or a worse religion. I just don't explain underwear and posthumous baptisms just as I cant explain Hajj or Jihad very well. The Cross is tuff enuf.

April 21, 2012 at 8:44 pm |
    • Bruce

RE: BYU would never invite others to speak from other religions, consider this list within 4 years:
      Sir John Marks Templeton—Presbyterian
      Dr. Roger Rosenblatt—Jewish
      Dr. Mohammad Yunus—Muslim
      Jehan Sedat—Muslim
      Madeleine L’Engle—Episcopalian
      Dem. Rep. Tom Lantos–Jewish

Seems like BYU is setting the example, along with other good universities, of inviting good people of all faiths to talk to their graduating classes.

April 22, 2012 at 12:40 am |
  18. The Reanimated Mummy Wife of Newt Gingrich

I WILL TAKE ROMNEY BY HIS NECK AND DRAG HIM STRAIGHT INTO THE HOWLING DUSTS OF THE EGYPTIAN UNDERWORLD!!!!

April 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • The Reanimated Mummy Grandma of Edna Pimples

That's nice. Would you like some waffles and cocoa before you go?

April 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
  19. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 21, 2012 at 7:23 pm |
    • herbie the witless wonder just cant stop posting

he just........cant.......stop!

April 21, 2012 at 7:28 pm |
    • herbie

There is no herbie

April 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • bbrooker88

No, actually it doesn't.

April 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • herbie

There is no herbie.

April 21, 2012 at 7:30 pm |
    • Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things
      Proven..

April 21, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
    • AGuest9

None of your delusions have EVER been proven, just lyin.

April 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm |
  20. Shiloh

Religious Bigotry!!! It is so pathetic that these individuals, who are so called "Christians”, have so much hate and animosity towards others. Every time there is the word Mormon(s) mentioned in the quotes from the article, replace it with the word Black(s)...or Hispanic(s)... or Jew(s). Tell me then that these individuals are not BIGOTS!!

April 21, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
    • Ka Boom!!!!!!!!

Good shot.

April 21, 2012 at 7:26 pm |
    • Nii

KABOOM
      I'm black n Jewish. I will not pretend that a Muslim is a Jew or Christian so that u feel I'm a good person. Why shud I do different to a Mormon. They are called Mormons for their unique Scripture which claims equality with the Bible. I can't explain their beliefs. I can explain mine.

April 21, 2012 at 7:46 pm |
    • Scott

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians... they are so unlike your Christ"
      -Ghandi

April 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm |
    • jane

GOP...is the biggest hypocrite....They wanted Christians who voted for Obama to repent but are willing to overlook the fact that Mormonism is a cult; it is a bigoted religion that believes blacks are inferior to whites...just as most GOPers believe

April 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
    • Ka Boom!!!!!!!!

Nii,

Of course they are unique, hence the bigotry from the non Mormons.

April 21, 2012 at 8:32 pm |
    • Nii

Mormonism is part of an Abrahamic religion known as Gnosticism. They have a belief in secret rituals and knowledge. Christians are forbidden this. The NT forbids Gnosticism. We don't mind their religion. However blurring the line helps no one. I'm not a Rabbinic Jew. Why shud I claim to be?

April 21, 2012 at 8:53 pm |