home
RSS
Liberty's choice of Romney leads to angry student response
Students at Liberty University bow in prayer during commencement in 2007. Current students were angered by the choice of Mitt Romney for the 2012 graduation speaker.
April 20th, 2012

Liberty's choice of Romney leads to angry student response

By Laura Bernardini and Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Liberty University students and alumni are accusing the Christian school of violating its own teachings by asking Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints whose adherents are called Mormons, to deliver its 2012 commencement address.

By Friday morning, more than 700 comments had been posted on the school's Facebook page about the Thursday announcement - a majority of them decidedly against the Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr.’s invitation, citing that the school had taught them Mormonism isn’t part of the Christian faith.

“I can’t support Romney and I am happy I decided not to walk (in the commencement) this year,” wrote student Josh Bergmann. “Liberty University should have gotten a Christian to speak not someone who practices a cult. Shame on you Liberty University.”

Janet Loeffler, a 53-year-old freshman at Liberty, expressed her anger at the decision when contacted by CNN. She also sent a copy of the page of the freshman textbook “The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics” which includes the passage, “Mormon doctrine stands in stark contrast to Jewish and Christian monotheism, which teaches that there is only one true God and that every other ‘God’ is a false god.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Loeffler’s daughter, Sarah Misch, 33, of Unionville, Virginia, who is also a student at the school said, “I am glad I am not graduating this year. I would not want to end my studies at a Christian university by being sent in to the world at commencement by a Mormon. We came to Liberty because of our faith in Jesus; not for political reasons.”

Holly Stanton Morgan, another student, posted to Facebook, “I am glad that my husband and I won’t be attending his commencement. Mormonism is not Christianity. My commencement is next year. Hopefully they choose more wisely.”

Mark DeMoss, a Liberty graduate, member of the Board of Trustees and a senior adviser to the Romney campaign, said on Friday, “We have had a Jewish commencement speaker, we have had a Catholic commencement speaker, and so, I think people are certainly entitled to their opinion. Social Media certainly provides an outlet for people’s opinions, but I think it is a great thing for the university.”

DeMoss also noted that the night before graduation is the annual Baccalaureate and that event will feature an evangelical Christian speaker.

Liberty University was founded as Lynchburg Baptist College in 1971 by the influential pastor and Moral Majority co-founder Jerry Falwell. He founded the school to be a Christian university for evangelical believers, according to Liberty’s website.

Today, Liberty brands itself as the largest evangelical university in the world, with 82,500 students enrolled either on campus or online.

Liberty University would not comment beyond the press release it sent out Thursday announcing Romney would speak. There will be 14,000 graduates for the May 12th ceremony. The University announced that it expected 34,000 guests.

Previous commencement speakers included previous Republican presidential candidates Sen. John McCain in 2006 and Ronald Reagan in 1980.

The relationship between Mormons and evangelicals has been tested as of late. With Romney as the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party, many political commentators are asking whether the evangelical base, an important voting bloc to the GOP, will come out for Romney.

If those votes hinge on how evangelicals see Mormonism, Romney may need further outreach to the evangelical community. A recent Pew Research Center survey finds that nearly half (47%) of white evangelicals say that Mormonism is not a Christian religion. Sixty-six percent responded the Mormonism and their religion are “very or somewhat different.”

The charge of Mormonism as a cult is not a new one for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Michael Otterson, head of public affairs for the Church, wrote about the word in a 2011 column.

“As part of the rhetorical warfare that has come to characterize modern American political discourse, it was only a matter of time before someone once again used the term “cult” to describe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” Otterson wrote. He went on to describe the word as a, “a neat, shorthand and rather lazy way of putting a whole group into a box.”

The nation’s largest evangelical denomination, the Southern Baptist Conference, lists the LDS Church as a cult. They specifically cite differences in theology surrounding salvation, baptism, belief in the Trinity, and marriage. A major sticking point between other Christian traditions and Mormons is the Book of Mormon, which Mormons believe is divinely inspired scripture and on par with the Bible. Other Christians do not recognize the Book of Mormon as scripture.

CNN reached out to a LDS church spokesman for further comment but they demurred, stating that the story was a political story.

A Romney spokesman did not respond to questions about the issue.

Not all Facebook comments were negative, though. Tom Johnson added, “Mitt Romney has been invited to give a motivational speech, not a religious sermon. His religious beliefs do not have anything to do with his ability to give a motivational speech at commencement.”

And Kathy Creech added, “I, for one, am pleased that the future President of the United States will be speaking there!”

soundoff (1,597 Responses)
  1. Silly people

Mormons are Christians.........Mormons just happen to teach the same thing in every church, other Christians are taught from some guy who is paid to talk to them and they are taught different things than other Christians. "I like your christ, but I don't like your Christians" – Ghandi. Mormons don't dissagree with other mormons since they all teach the same thing......

October 26, 2012 at 1:11 pm |
  2. icon design

What remarkable topic

September 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
  3. End

While I am not Mormon myself, I have great recpset for all religions. I admire and recpset people who find solace in their religion. I am Buddhist and I am proud to tell people that although I get interesting looks since I do live in the South and there are no Buddhist temples of my sect around. One of my former bosses when I was living in Las Vegas is Mormon (and I think he is pretty high up in the church). I enjoyed working with him. He was always recpsetful of everyone that worked in our area and passed no judgment based on his religion (though some people thought he did but I worked the closest with him as I was his assistant and did not feel that way). We had really interesting talks and I was sad when he left to move back to Provo to work at BYU. He was one of the best bosses I had. I am glad you are proud to talk about your religion!

September 9, 2012 at 3:42 am |
  4. armani dresses Outlet

I would like to show thanks to the writer just for rescuing me from this type of crisis. After looking out through the the web and seeing tips that were not pleasant, I believed my life was over. Living minus the answers to the issues you have solved all through your main guide is a crucial case, and those which may have in a negative way damaged my entire career if I had not discovered your blog. Your own ability and kindness in touching all the details was crucial. I am not sure what I would have done if I had not encountered such a solution like this. I'm able to at this time look forward to my future. Thank you very much for the reliable and result oriented help. I won't be reluctant to propose the website to anybody who needs to have assistance about this topic.

September 8, 2012 at 2:02 am |
  5. Auth

Augustine of Hippo?How did he reach god? How many nights of deeruchbay did he enjoy, perhaps beyond most humans' capacity, before he finally decided- enuf! how many nights did he reach out to reach the lord. . . . ohhh godddd. . . ohhhh goddddddd!!!! He had to reach inside to deal with all his lecherous lifestyle. He probably contracted an STD. Look at how Howard Hughes acted. Brilliant and outgoing, enjoying life. . then. . . kaput! Not sure what kind of class you have, or how you're relying on a fact' that is, in fact, supposion, faith, delusion, confusion, or outright manipulation of reality (lies). Most people that write papers' source information, objectively. Detail the information with any ancillary data- influences, conditions for events (war, famine, etc); and then. . and ONLY THEN define a conclusion. I think you need to rethink your claim. Find the data- objectively. Youll get a better grade. Youll actually write a well-thought paper. And it will be accurate, not conjecture. It will be accepted, not dismissed as psycho babble. IMHO the Buddha helps us turn inward. the story of jesus should have us turning outward- social justice. zippo about salvation- his whole story was about brotherly love, kingdom not on earth, respect for others, socialism. . . the whole ending was really an afterthought, really. jesus was very anti-OT. the jews had spent what- 400 years of wandering and being subjegated. The whole Book of Daniel was written as a plea from the top-cats to stay true to the cause. No wonder they kept looking for a warrior-king, a leader that would restablish the jews in their land with autonomy, and were so disappointed with a homeless, wandering story-teller. Talk about a lost tribe. You cant find any textual evidence. . . why. . . 1 someone stole it2 someone erased it3 what you thought existed was actually some of the apocryphia and other goofball tales4 it never existed

September 6, 2012 at 6:23 pm |
  6. natural pet products

Attractive component of content. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and in accession capital to claim that I acquire in fact loved account your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing for your feeds and even I success you access consistently rapidly.

July 1, 2012 at 3:52 am |
  7. parts

Hello my loved one! I want to say that this post is amazing, great written and come with almost all significant infos. I would like to look more posts like this .

June 27, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  8. Konus telescope

Excellent blog right here! Additionally your website quite a bit up fast! What web host are you using? Can I am getting your affiliate hyperlink in your host? I wish my website loaded up as fast as yours lol

June 25, 2012 at 6:50 pm |
  9. Get paid daily

It's the best time to make some plans for the long run and it's time to be happy. I've learn this publish and if I may I desire to recommend you few attention-grabbing issues or suggestions. Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article. I desire to read even more issues about it!

June 25, 2012 at 9:33 am |
    • Camila

When Patrick & I were married I was still farily new in the church and my family was still extremely hurt about my conversion. We chose to have a civil ceremony on the beach where I grew up in South Texas (our South Bend bishop, who is a great friend, flew down and performed the ceremony) and were sealed a year later on our anniversary. We talked to a million people in the church office building and looked for loopholes to get around the one year wait, but to no avail. We were all set to go to Mexico to get married, where because of marriage laws we would be allowed to be married civilly & then immediately sealed, but alas, we had to be Mexican citizens to go that route.There were quite a few raised eyebrows about our choice to postpone our sealing but it was without a doubt the best decision for us.

September 6, 2012 at 1:44 pm |
  10. get paid tomorrow

obviously like your web-site however you have to test the spelling on several of your posts. Several of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to inform the reality on the other hand I'll certainly come again again.

June 25, 2012 at 8:24 am |
  11. make money online with pinterest

Wow, amazing blog structure! How lengthy have you ever been running a blog for? you made blogging glance easy. The whole look of your website is fantastic, as neatly as the content!

June 25, 2012 at 7:24 am |
  12. Right here is a you tube video clip created by Isabel De Los Rios (the creator of The Diet Solution Program), giving some revealing perception on nourishment and healthy eating.

Hello there, You have done a fantastic job. I'll definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am sure they'll be benefited from this site.

June 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  13. Josh Bergmann

You might use my comment I made back in April, but after I watch and listen to the speech, I am voting for Romney. I can't see myself voting for Obama or a 3rd party candidate. At first I was going to just vote for all of the other elections, but that would be a vote for Obama also.

May 20, 2012 at 7:41 pm |
  14. Fulufhelo

I would just like to thank you all for addressing my cnocerns. I will consider his ghetto upbringing, his aesthetic pleasure,and lack of wheat bread awareness when I go to the polls in a few months.

May 19, 2012 at 2:20 pm |
  15. powiatowe

Thanks for some other wonderful post. Where else may anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal approach of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such info.

May 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm |
  16. rustywheeler

LOL. Oh, Schadenfreude: I hate ya but I love ya. This election gon' be AWESOME!

May 1, 2012 at 7:10 pm |
  17. Rick Martin

I'm not surprised by this. I transfered out of Liberty last semester ... I had enough of their hypocrisy!

April 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
  18. Kenjitheman

biologixco is eevillll. Some one with no life is worse than the people he writes about on here day after day. Go to work my man. It does a body good.

April 28, 2012 at 3:07 pm |
  19. biologixco

Mormons are evil.
    Just like Mitt Romney
    Google: The White Horse Prophecy
    Find out what those evil mormonians are up to

April 28, 2012 at 1:32 pm |
    • Casandra

I apologize for the absnutpers of my answer before. It sounds like it was easier to get an exception in the 70 s, but I do not think that the rules are/were eased for relatives of GAs or famous members of the church by virtue of their relation or fame. If exceptions were possible in general, however, I can see proximity being helpful in getting an exception.As for the reasons for the policy, I think it might be partly for pressure reasons, but not to pressure the families. I think it is to make it less easy to get married civilly and then get married in the temple a month or so later it is to encourage those planning on getting married to plan on being married in the temple, with all the commitments to conduct and belief that implies.

September 7, 2012 at 3:40 am |
  20. Jimmy the Fixer

biologixco, you can calm down now. I'm telling you the fix is in. Obama has it sewn up. There is no need to yell about how messed up romney is or any of that stuff. Romney absolutely cannot win unless Obama were to declare himself a Muslim.
    That's about the only way Romney could even have a sliver of a chance. The fix is in.

April 28, 2012 at 1:26 pm |