home
RSS
Liberty's choice of Romney leads to angry student response
Students at Liberty University bow in prayer during commencement in 2007. Current students were angered by the choice of Mitt Romney for the 2012 graduation speaker.
April 20th, 2012

Liberty's choice of Romney leads to angry student response

By Laura Bernardini and Dan Merica, CNN

Washington (CNN) – Liberty University students and alumni are accusing the Christian school of violating its own teachings by asking Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney, a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints whose adherents are called Mormons, to deliver its 2012 commencement address.

By Friday morning, more than 700 comments had been posted on the school's Facebook page about the Thursday announcement - a majority of them decidedly against the Chancellor Jerry Falwell Jr.’s invitation, citing that the school had taught them Mormonism isn’t part of the Christian faith.

“I can’t support Romney and I am happy I decided not to walk (in the commencement) this year,” wrote student Josh Bergmann. “Liberty University should have gotten a Christian to speak not someone who practices a cult. Shame on you Liberty University.”

Janet Loeffler, a 53-year-old freshman at Liberty, expressed her anger at the decision when contacted by CNN. She also sent a copy of the page of the freshman textbook “The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics” which includes the passage, “Mormon doctrine stands in stark contrast to Jewish and Christian monotheism, which teaches that there is only one true God and that every other ‘God’ is a false god.”

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Loeffler’s daughter, Sarah Misch, 33, of Unionville, Virginia, who is also a student at the school said, “I am glad I am not graduating this year. I would not want to end my studies at a Christian university by being sent in to the world at commencement by a Mormon. We came to Liberty because of our faith in Jesus; not for political reasons.”

Holly Stanton Morgan, another student, posted to Facebook, “I am glad that my husband and I won’t be attending his commencement. Mormonism is not Christianity. My commencement is next year. Hopefully they choose more wisely.”

Mark DeMoss, a Liberty graduate, member of the Board of Trustees and a senior adviser to the Romney campaign, said on Friday, “We have had a Jewish commencement speaker, we have had a Catholic commencement speaker, and so, I think people are certainly entitled to their opinion. Social Media certainly provides an outlet for people’s opinions, but I think it is a great thing for the university.”

DeMoss also noted that the night before graduation is the annual Baccalaureate and that event will feature an evangelical Christian speaker.

Liberty University was founded as Lynchburg Baptist College in 1971 by the influential pastor and Moral Majority co-founder Jerry Falwell. He founded the school to be a Christian university for evangelical believers, according to Liberty’s website.

Today, Liberty brands itself as the largest evangelical university in the world, with 82,500 students enrolled either on campus or online.

Liberty University would not comment beyond the press release it sent out Thursday announcing Romney would speak. There will be 14,000 graduates for the May 12th ceremony. The University announced that it expected 34,000 guests.

Previous commencement speakers included previous Republican presidential candidates Sen. John McCain in 2006 and Ronald Reagan in 1980.

The relationship between Mormons and evangelicals has been tested as of late. With Romney as the presumptive nominee for the Republican Party, many political commentators are asking whether the evangelical base, an important voting bloc to the GOP, will come out for Romney.

If those votes hinge on how evangelicals see Mormonism, Romney may need further outreach to the evangelical community. A recent Pew Research Center survey finds that nearly half (47%) of white evangelicals say that Mormonism is not a Christian religion. Sixty-six percent responded the Mormonism and their religion are “very or somewhat different.”

The charge of Mormonism as a cult is not a new one for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Michael Otterson, head of public affairs for the Church, wrote about the word in a 2011 column.

“As part of the rhetorical warfare that has come to characterize modern American political discourse, it was only a matter of time before someone once again used the term “cult” to describe The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” Otterson wrote. He went on to describe the word as a, “a neat, shorthand and rather lazy way of putting a whole group into a box.”

The nation’s largest evangelical denomination, the Southern Baptist Conference, lists the LDS Church as a cult. They specifically cite differences in theology surrounding salvation, baptism, belief in the Trinity, and marriage. A major sticking point between other Christian traditions and Mormons is the Book of Mormon, which Mormons believe is divinely inspired scripture and on par with the Bible. Other Christians do not recognize the Book of Mormon as scripture.

CNN reached out to a LDS church spokesman for further comment but they demurred, stating that the story was a political story.

A Romney spokesman did not respond to questions about the issue.

Not all Facebook comments were negative, though. Tom Johnson added, “Mitt Romney has been invited to give a motivational speech, not a religious sermon. His religious beliefs do not have anything to do with his ability to give a motivational speech at commencement.”

And Kathy Creech added, “I, for one, am pleased that the future President of the United States will be speaking there!”

soundoff (1,597 Responses)
  1. Reason

This is another reason why Southern are stereotyped as ______________. You fill in the blank.

April 21, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  2. Ray E. Georgia

THE JURY IS STILL OUT ON ORGANIZED RELIGION AND WE ALL KNOW THE MORMAN RELIGION IS SCREWY AS IS ALL OTHER RELIGIONS SO GIVE ROMNEY A LISTEN. YOU MIGHT BE PLEASENTLY SURPRISED111

April 21, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Jonesy Indiana

ALL CAPS IS SCREAMING!!!

April 21, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  3. Nii

The 2 definitions of cult
    1)worship system-here all religions have cults which is de regulations governing their ritual
    2)Spiritually abusive religious group-This is where some ex-Mormons come in. They suffer symptoms of spiritual abuse. This isnt exclusive 2 Mormons as there r atheist, xtian cults

April 21, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  4. Henry

I rarely side with Romney on anything but these students' comments are deeply disturbing.

April 21, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • AlStat

Couldn't agree more. Please read my post so you know that not all Liberty students and Christians act like that.

April 21, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  5. brian

This befuddlement might be further proof that religion is intellectual suicide.

April 21, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  6. Nii

There is no need to misapply Scripture. In this case the person was preaching the Xtian Gospel but wasn't an "official" disciple. LDS preaches its own message.
    They r neither for nor against us.
    I dont mind him giving a speech there but then neither is it fair to force people to listen.

April 21, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • Gus

Don't you even wonder about a "god" whose scripture can be so easily "misapplied"?

Doesn't seem like a very capable god that you've got for yourself there. In fact, I think it doesn't exist.

April 21, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • johnfrichardson

When someone is the selected commencement speaker, your options are to attend or not attend. Most people would never think of not attending their own graduation ceremony. I didn't attend mine and I don't feel I missed anything. But most wouldn't consider not attending, if only for their parents' sake. So, if you belong to the overwhelming majority would wouldn't consider not attending their graduation, there's no choice but to sit through the commencement address. You do NOT have to listen. You don't have to applaud. Just don't be a jerk and spoil it for others.

April 21, 2012 at 11:03 am |
  7. Janet Loeffler

In Mark DeMoss' response to CNN above, he gives no biblical reason for allowing a satanic religions guest speaker to do commencement. He answer sounds more like what you'd hear from a teenager when they want to do something "that all my friends are doing it too" excuse.

April 21, 2012 at 10:30 am |
  8. RichC

If Liberty has had other non-Christian speakers at graduation before, it shouldn't matter now. It's not a church service, Romney won't be giving a sermon or expounding on scripture. So not sure why this is a problem.

April 21, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • Gus

Religion is the problem.

April 21, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  9. Janet Loeffler

From my Liberty textbook: "Mormon doctrine stands in stark contrast to Jewish and Christian monotheism", (Liberty has had Jewish, Catholic and other like-faith speakers until they embraced mormonism with Beck and Romney), continuing on from the text, "which teaches that there is only one true God and that every other God is a false god (Isaiah 43:10). LDS theology also denies the biblical gospel of grace (Eph. 2:8-9; Gal 1:6). The Book of Mormon teaches, "'Be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are said after all we can do"' (2 Nephi 25:23)" The Popular Encyclopedia of Apologetics by Hindson and Caner.

April 21, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • shaun

I am just amazed that christianity ignores works and relys on grace alone, go to the book of Revelation and read time and time again how the books are opened and we are judged not on grace....but on our works. I agree that Mormons do not belive in salvation is an event but a process and we also do not agree that salvation is by grace alone, we do belive that it is a combination of grace and works. I would simply ask what is wrong with living a good and decent life where our works are an expression of our faith? are you saying that christains belive that a person is not going to be judged by thier works? lets say a person killed a person every day, and then they on their deathbed "repented" and accepted Jesus as their Lord and Savior they would then enter into heaven just as worthy as a person who died a martyrs death for Jesus? that is a bit of an extreme example, but it does make the very valid point that works do indeed play a very important role in our final judgment.

April 21, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • True Christian?

Hey Janet, your a bigot, and your education is blatantly unfactual, deceiving and manipulative. Self prescribed Christians are the most proud, exclusive and unchristian group of Christians in existence. They are a plague in the Christian world, started by biblical illiterates like Billy Grahm. They are bullies, self righteous, judgmental, and hypocritical. Everything which Christ taught against. If anyone needs proof, just watch Jesus camp.

April 21, 2012 at 11:13 am |
    • Rockgod28

@Janet Loeffler

As a Mormon I know there is nothing I can do of myself to be saved by "works". To emphasize let me be plain in my meaning. When I say NOTHING I can do, I mean there is no way, no means or any other way that I can be saved from spiritual and physical death in the resurrection. I can only be saved by the grace and sacrifice of Jesus Christ.

Now I believe very strongly in the grace and mercy of Jesus Christ.

If Liberty University wants to know what Mormon's believe Joseph Smith the man who organized the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints issued a statement of beliefs called the Articles of Faith. It was a statement to make it clear by our own admission and declaration what we believe.

There are requirements Jesus Christ himself gave in order to be saved.

First is to believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Anointed One, who is the Son of God that was sent as a sacrifice to atone for the sins of the world to be the mediator with the Father for his children.

Second is to repent. Repent of our sins and lay them upon the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ. We are to change our behavior and become disciples of Christ. A disciple follows the commandments, teachings and example of the Master. As a disciple that means following Luke 6:27-37.

Third is to be baptized. Jesus made it very clear that all people must be baptized and that Jesus himself was baptized.

Finally there is the gift of the Holy Ghost. It is the companionship of the Holy Spirit of Truth that testifies of the Father and the Son. This gift of God is received by the laying on of hands by those authorized to administer the ordinance just like baptism.

After all this you are still not done. While you are saved by the grace of Jesus Christ, you are still you with choices to make the rest of your life. The last command of Jesus Christ is to endure to the end.

Endure what?

Hatred. Strife, Affliction, Sickness, Adversity, and all manner of evil in this world.

How are we to endure?

We endure by returning love for hate, harmony for strife, peace to the afflicted, comfort for those who are sick, and show charity to all just as Jesus did in his life. The bottom line it is very hard to endure to the end of our lives as a disciple of Jesus Christ.

God provides a way to accomplish the things he commands us to do and does not leave us comfortless as we pass through sorrow in this life.

It is up to us to do everything we can to remain faithful to Jesus Christ.

Grace is a gift, but what good is the grace of God if we don"t use the gift he has given us?

How do I have faith in Jesus Christ, if I don't repent?

If I don't repent or have faith I would not be baptized.

If I don't have faith, repent or become baptized then I will not have the gift of the Holy Ghost.

If I don't have faith, repent to be a disciple of Christ, take upon his name in Baptism, and have the gift of the Holy Ghost then I am not saved by his grace if I only confess Jesus is the Christ without following after him as a disciple.

Everything I can do is to follow the commandments of Christ and those commandments include having faith, repent, be baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost and then endure as a disciple of Jesus Christ the sorrow of this world to the end of my life.

If I don't endure in keeping the commandments of God my faith means nothing because my works, my choices are in disobedience to those commandments. Which means if my choices are wrong, such as getting angry, cheating, lying, or hurting another then I am not doing as Jesus said (Luke 6:27-37).

In other words my faith (in Jesus Christ) without works (my choices to endure keeping the commandments of God) is dead which is all I can do. If I can do everything I can to be obedient to the commandments of God, when I struggle to endure as a disciple of Jesus Christ, he will lift me up when my hands hang down, bring peace and comfort to my mind and fill my heart with His love as I remain faithful to Jesus Christ.

April 21, 2012 at 11:36 am |
    • Jonesy Indiana

So you are the 53 year old freshman?

Do you know that Liberty University would have gone belly up were it not for loan from Sun Myung Moon? Moonies kept Falwell solvent.

Do they really have a dinosaur fossil in the museum labeled "3,000 years old"?

Did you know that Democrat clubs are banned there.

April 21, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
  10. Taog, Taog ,the Bagpiper's Son

Never understood why people get upset when others express themselves in a legal manner. It's a private school right? They can exclude or include whomever they wish and there is nothing wrong with it.

April 21, 2012 at 10:20 am |
  11. oceancoast2011

It is written that Jesus said. "For he who is not against us is for us" Romeny is certainly not against Evangelical Christians.. So if they truly consider themselves followers of Jesus, might they put asside their bigotry?

If one of these students of Chritanity would read actually read their beloved Bible instead of the bigotry taught by some of their teachers they would recognize that Jesus never discriminated against others in such manner. The Romans around him were neither Jew or Christian, but did he ever stand before the Romans and tell them they weren't welcome?

April 21, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • BoldGeorge

@ ocean

True Christians are holy, not bigots. We are set apart for God, which is what holiness is.
      Indeed many so-called christians are bigots, and give a bad rap to the truth.

April 21, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  12. Sid

"student Josh Bergmann. “Liberty University should have gotten a Christian to speak not someone who practices a cult. Shame on you Liberty University.” "

Josh, news for you: Christianity is a cult. Your university "education" at Bible Humper University has been pathetic. Too bad you aren't smart enough to go to a real university.

April 21, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  13. BoldGeorge

Liberty U. officials having Mr. Romney speak at their commencement address is like having the Catholic church bring an Imam to pray at their Easter service (which is not that far-fetched nowadays). Unless Liberty U. officials have some sort of political agenda and feel that later on they might need, possibly, [Pres.] Romney's support in some way (which they shouldn't feel they will), I can see their reasoning for inviting him over.

Having said this (written rather), no true Christian should "join hands" with secularism, worldly ideology or any other person/group of not like-minded belief. That is biblical common knowledge, Christianity 101. This is not really a first though, as modern evangelicalism has gone the way of tolerance and compromise. Let's see what the Bible teaches:

James 4:4 – "You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

2 Corinthians 6:14 – "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?"

...and there are many other verses that don't support unity with unbelievers. And Mormons (not to be insulting in anyway) are certainly unbelievers of the Bible.

April 21, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Jorgie-R

It's okay George, nonsensical post doesn't insult anybody but to its poster.

April 21, 2012 at 10:51 am |
    • Jorgie-R

"And Mormons (not to be insulting in anyway) are certainly unbelievers of the Bible."

It's okay George, nonsensical post doesn't insult anybody but to its poster.

April 21, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • Rockgod28

I am a Mormon.

I believe the Holy Bible to be the word of God.

Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the living God, who was born of the virgin Mary at Jerusalem, in Bethlehem. Jesus grew in wisdom and favor before God and man. Jesus Christ lived as a man and went about doing mighty miracles during his ministry as recorded in the Bible. He healed the sick, gave sight to the blind, forgave the sinner, and raised the dead.

Jesus then after his intercessory prayer in Gethsemane was betrayed by Judas, tried for claiming to be the Messiah, found innocent, and then crucified as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. Jesus Christ died on the cross and was laid in a tomb. In three days he then was resurrected and showed himself to his disciples. Afterward ascended to heaven.

Jesus showed himself to Saul, who became the apostle Paul, who served as a witness of Christ the rest of his life.

So as you can see, I believe the Bible to be the word of God and that I believe in Jesus Christ of the New Testament.

Have a good day!

April 21, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • BoldGeorge

@ Rockgod28 (interesting mocker by the way)

You missed one particular element to your theology: You forgot to mention that Jesus Christ is God, which is a truth repeated many times in Scripture. The Trinity is essential to making the claim you believe God's Word.

April 21, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  14. Stew

Plain and simple prejudice and ignorance.

April 21, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  15. Is Obama the Mahdi

Come on people wake up this entire Belief Blog is a tool for CNN!! Religious propoganda for the Mahdi Barrack Hussien Obama.

Here is some of his Muslim efforts in the first 9 months in office.

March 2009, Obama declares the "war on terror" is over despite a dramatic increase in jihad war ops.

March 2009, he floats the idea that he will talk to violent, genocidal Hamas.

March 2009, he demands, recruits and insists that more Muslim Americans work in the Obama administration.

April 2009, Obama tells Europe to admit Islamic Turkey into EU, much to the consternation of the Europeans.

April 2009, Obama demands non-Muslims respect Islam (despite our differences) in a speech in Turkey.

April 2009, Obama in a speech from Turkey: "We are not a Christian nation."

April 2009, Dalia Mogahed, the first hijab-clad senior adviser to Obama on Muslim affairs says in an interview with terrorist- and jihad-supporting Sheik Yusuf Qaradawi's website, "Many have claimed that terrorists have 'hijacked Islam'. I disagree. I think Islam is safe and thriving in the lives of Muslims around the world. What the terrorists have been allowed to take over are Muslim grievances."

In April 2009, Obama lays groundwork for a partnership with Hamas.

May 2009, Obama promises to offer his "personal commitment" to Muslims.

May 2009, Obama calls America "one of the largest Muslim countries on the planet."

June 2009, Obama invites the Muslim Brotherhood, violent global jihadist group whose sole objective is a universal caliphate, to his speech to the ummah (Muslim community) in Cairo.

June 2009, Obama makes a stunning speech to the Muslim world from Al Azhar University in Cairo. It defies explanation.

April 21, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • Sid

March 2009 Obama is not a Muslim.

April 2012 Obama is still not a Muslim.

And America still has religious freedom, so it shouldn't matter anyway. Get over your bigotry.

April 21, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • david mann

You are truly loopy. That's all. Just completely and insanely loopy.

April 21, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • Ted Nugent's Cousin

Can you say suburb of Indonesia!!

April 21, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  16. Lindsey

I can't believe that they are upset that someone who is speaking at their graduation doesn't have the same beliefs as they do. I went to a private Christian university and we had a Catholic speak at commencement, and no one whined about it! Get a life!

April 21, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • mandarax

But these are evangelical Christians. If peopling aren't bending over backward to accommodate their beliefs above all others, they feel persecuted.

April 21, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  17. Rainer Braendlein

Once the Jew Jesus met a religious woman from Samaria at the well of Jacob (John 4).

Jesus was very thirsty from a long walk and said to her: "Give me to drink!" The woman refused, because Jesus was a Jew and the ordinary Jews despised the Samaritans (the Samaritans were somewhat supersti-tious).

Yet the woman made a mistake, because Jesus was not a typical Jew, but a loveable Jew. He responded, he had given her Water of Eternal Life, if she had asked him.

Jesus did not want to talk with the woman about the conflict of Jewish faith and Samaritan faith, but he showed her that she had a lack of love, which would be the consequence of the true faith.

We can learn very much from this story.

All false religions are bigoted. They tend to handicap believers of other religions (see how the woman handicaped Jesus by not giving him water, although he was in need). In contrast, Jesus had been ready to give her not only ordinary water, but living water. Jesus had not considered the religion of the woman, but only her need.

Hence, if I am a Christian and born by Water and Spirit, I should help people in need independent from their belief. If my Muslim workmate needs an advice, I should give him an advice. If my Hindu neighbour is hungry, I should give him food. If my Mormon classmate is hurted, I should transport him to the hospital.

The true Christian love is independent from belief, nationality, colour, social status, etc.. True Christian love is not bigoted, but sees the neighbour as a human being with full human dignity, which is loved by God and for which Jesus has died and resurrected or for which God delivered his Son and raised him from the dead.

Concerning Romney:

John 4:

Then cometh he to a city of Samaria, which is called Sychar, near to the parcel of ground that Jacob gave to his son Joseph. 6 Now Jacob's well was there. Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well: and it was about the sixth hour. 7 There cometh a woman of Samaria to draw water: Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink. 8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.) 9 Then saith the woman of Samaria unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which am a woman of Samaria? for the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans. 10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If thou knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given thee living water. 11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water? 12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank thereof himself, and his children, and his cattle? 13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again: 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life. 15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that I thirst not, neither come hither to draw. 16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither. 17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband: 18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly. 19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. 25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things. 26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he. 27 And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her? 28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men, 29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

April 21, 2012 at 9:53 am |
    • oceancoast2011

What a nice post about not being bigoted,.. .all lthe way up to the part where you express your own bigotry with your bigoted commments about Romney. ..

April 21, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Thought Police

Whiner: brief posts. No one wants to read you.

April 21, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Rockgod28

"Concerning Romney:

Romney is a Mormon bishop and they are of course bigoted. It is questionable, if Romney becomes president, if he will treat all poeple of America equal. I could imagine that he will prefer the Mormons (I cannot prove that)." ~Rainer Braendlein

Here is proof how a Mormon will govern or should govern according to the doctrines and practices of the Mormon faith is in Section 134 of the Doctrine and Covenants.

To answer if Mitt Romney will govern equally pay special attention of verse 9.

Have a good day.

April 21, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Copy&Pest

Noone but just another "Reality" wanna be.

April 21, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
  18. Michael

Canada is a country, you silly self-centered pompous American patriots! And, you wonder why people outside of the "US" of A keep losing respect for you and your "idiot-ology" (my word for the current extreme right in politics and religion). For the record I was educated in the States while Kennedy/Johnson were Presidents and have worked with American corporate (Christian, Mormon, Jewish, Muslim, Atheist, etc.,) clients in international projects after graduation to this day but I find it harder each and every day to keep respecting a people who continue to be more and more isolated between the ears! The "US" of A relies on restricting opportunities to those "who are not with us must be against us" mentality which is against the very principles that made it great welcoming immigration in the early 1900's. Protecting one's back has become such an obsession in the States it is sad. So, it is nice to look forward to retiring to our pristine countryside and watch on our TV's/internet a once great country to the south implode. Very sad, indeed!

April 21, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  19. BunnyBunny

People believe what they believe. No matter what you or I say or think about it. This school, teaches the Christian faith. To them it is absolute. Which is their right.

Mormon's beliefs are so different from their faith. They have a right to protest against something which goes against their core values.

April 21, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • oceancoast2011

And yet any non-Bigoted study of Mormon beliefs versus Evangelical Christians would reveal that they are quite similar in many respects.. even on the core values. It's Non-Christian Anti-Mormonism that is at the heart of the objections.

April 21, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Nii

Similar means quite alike not same. If they were the same no Christian will call an LDS member a Mormon. Presbyterians, Catholics, Evangelicals, Episcopalians,etc all call each other Christian but do not extend it to people who use a different Scripture like Jews, Muslims, JWs and Mormons.

April 21, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Nii

I don't know what you call Non-Christian objections or non-bigoted study. Islam claims oneness with Christianity and Judaism too. Will u consider yourself a Muslim then? Just as Mormons believe they are the only Xtians? Christians don't baptise dead people. We baptise in memory of the dead.

April 21, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Thought Police

My god's better than your god. My god's better than yours. My god's better cause he eats Kennel Ration. My god's better than yours.

April 21, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Nii

THOUGHT POLICE.
      When atheists distinguish themselves from Deists, Agnostics, etc are they saying they have better non-belief.
      I didn't know! So who is better?

April 21, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • Thought Police

Nii: false equivalence.

Your turn.

April 21, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  20. AGuest9

>> just sayin
    >> canadians have no need to speak on american things. there's your sign.

THERE we have it, folks!

April 21, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • mandarax

Yep, that's a particularly solid little nugget of small-minded smugness.

April 21, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • AGuest9

Speaking of small-mindedness, mandarax, how many aliases do YOU use on this board?

April 21, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • ...

AGuest9...Still paraanoid with usernames, eh?

April 21, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
    • AGuest9

Captain ..., the lying liar. Nice of you to drop by. I was just talking about you.

April 22, 2012 at 12:46 pm |