home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Liebster Welpe

my God sounds like Mr. Spock

April 29, 2012 at 4:13 am |
    • Jesus

Most confined mentally ill people often hear voices.

April 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  2. WWJD

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

ATHEISTS WILL BURN IN HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE WHERE THEY BELONG AND I THANK GOD

April 29, 2012 at 3:58 am |
    • danielwalldammit

I wonder if Jesus would thank his Father for sending anyone to Hell. Maybe, you should ask yourself what your signature means.

April 29, 2012 at 4:07 am |
    • Wanfuforever

Forget the pot. Can I buy some LSD from you?

April 29, 2012 at 4:09 am |
    • Bootyfunk

uh oh, another lunatic climbed the wall at the asylum...

April 29, 2012 at 4:10 am |
    • Carl

Which god? Christian god, Muslim god, Hindu god...etc. There are THOUSANDS of religions on this planet. Each proclaims the same faith you do.

April 29, 2012 at 4:11 am |
    • John in Vegas

Wow, just... wow...

April 29, 2012 at 4:11 am |
    • Amanda

Obvious troll is obvious.

April 29, 2012 at 4:17 am |
    • Bootyfunk

LOL. to many blatant lies to go over in your post.

"Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime."

atheists/agnostics/non-believers make up about 10% of the country, yet only .2% of prisoners in our prisons are atheist. that's 1/5 of one percent. look it up. it's true. shows atheists commit less crime, not more.

i could go through the whole list showing how each point is dead wrong, but i've already fed the troll enough. gotta love religious propaganda. haha.

April 29, 2012 at 4:18 am |
    • Jack

You sir, are a bigot and your post is hate speech.

April 29, 2012 at 4:19 am |
    • j8990

Ha! Are you serious?!

April 29, 2012 at 4:19 am |
    • WWJD

People go to prison when they are atheist and then turn to Jesus when they have nothing left because none of their atheist friend will help them. Studies say that prisoners are religious because they have already turn to God by the point of the interview.

April 29, 2012 at 4:23 am |
    • Natalie Nelson

Only 4% of American's are athiest? That would mean, just about the whole prison population are Christians..That debunks your entire post....

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 am |
    • Karon

Well, there are people that are Anti~gay and some Anti~semetic and others Anti~abortion..I am not worried about them at all. Its the Anti~christ ones that freak me out.

April 29, 2012 at 5:22 am |
    • moomintroll

Wait, what? As an atheist, I don't really exist? Man, that kinda bums me out. 🙁

April 29, 2012 at 5:34 am |
    • Pamela sanderson

Somewhere a village is missing their idiot.......

April 29, 2012 at 6:29 am |
    • Jimmy Rustles

Only the Flying Spaghetti Monster is true! Lies, heathen! You will burn for believing in your Jesus! The Flying Spaghetti Monster was born from a virgin gingerbread cookie, it has been written so that means it is true! Convert, I fear you will lose eternity if you don't!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 7:08 am |
    • Ted

Your statistics are laughable.Your not even close to being correct.

April 29, 2012 at 7:39 am |
    • dylanesq@msn.com

You live in serious delusion.

April 29, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • lolzz

WWJD, you're either mentally ill, or a complete idiot. Check please.

April 29, 2012 at 9:17 am |
    • Cedar rapids

See we know you are a troll because christians are specifically instructed not to lie or condemn, both of which are punished by being sent down below apparently.

April 29, 2012 at 10:00 am |
    • wrong side of the bed

I bet YOU'RE a lot of fun at parties!

April 29, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • Tim in MN

What I really like about your post, as I have seen in other posts from people of your ilk, is the nice little ditty at the end about "ATHEISTS WILL BURN IN HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE WHERE THEY BELONG AND I THANK GOD." Well, I'd personally like to thank you for the love.

April 29, 2012 at 10:45 am |
    • atheistictruth

Everyone should report this for "abuse" because of its clear threatening tone. This person is obviously disturbed, confused and needs help.

April 29, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • ferg liston

uhhhh... no to all of your alleged facts. listing to invisible friends will not save you. needing an invisible friend to tell you that murder is bad (no wait, the bible says that is ok!), means you are stupid and lack your own moral compass. please don't procreate. we need to clean out the gene pool.

April 29, 2012 at 7:11 pm |
    • Dashing

Wait, I agree with Hitler and Stalin? I was unaware of this. Thanks for clearing it oh Mightly Mental Case!

April 30, 2012 at 8:26 am |
    • JWPT (Jesus wouldn't post that)

@WWJD You're statement is filled with rampant logical fallicies and pure guesses.

† Ad hominem
      † Ad hominem
      † Ad hominem
      † Conjecture
      † Ad hominem
      † Ad hominem
      † Conjecture
      † Confusing association with causation
      † Conjecture
      † Confusing association with causation
      † hasty generalization
      † hasty generalization
      † hasty generalization
      † hasty generalization
      † Ad hominem (The French Revolution was also inspired by something you might believe in called the American Revolution that was led by Deists, Christians and Freethinkers.)
      † Confusing currently unexplained with unexplainable (also atheism doesn’t claim to explain the origin of the universe. That’s evolution and while they are cohesive they are inherently two different things.)
      † Straw man
      † You can’t definitively prove something with itself. Thusly you can’t prove that the Bible is true by quoting the Bible…
      † Conjecture
      † Conjecture (Did you know that 75% of statistics are made up on the spot?)
      As for the praying for atheists and hellfire comments respectively, praying for someone and then thanking God for damning them are two highly incompatible concepts.

We both may say that we are Christians, but the desparity between our own beliefs is a microcosm of the vast array of human perception and belief. It is highly ignorant and intolerant to be so close minded. You can not grow without being challenged or processing through information that isn't cohesive with your already established beliefs. I hope you are just trolling and not serious. As for the other commentors I repect your beliefs, and I can not substantiate my own with incontrovertible evidence. Nor do I pretend to. I have experienced things that are evidence to me that God does exist. If that makes me seem ignorant or stupid to you then so be it. Until I recieve suffiecient insight that outweighs these experiences I remain a Christian, and I only ask you to accept me for who I am while I continue to do the same for you without attempting to proselytize each other.

May 1, 2012 at 7:53 am |
  3. What god really sounds like

<crickets>

April 29, 2012 at 3:00 am |
    • danielwalldammit

Heh, ...well played.

April 29, 2012 at 4:07 am |
    • Jablonski

Yeah that pretty much nails it!

April 29, 2012 at 4:18 am |
    • AtheistSteve

Christians would say we who don't believe hear only a busy signal and that we should keep dialing until we get through.
      Earlier today in a discussion with TruthPrevails I reflected on my childhood. Like everyone I knew my early years were those of instruction on matters of highest importance. To a child parents and elders are a wellspring of wisdom and knowledge...inherently trustworthy. Thus through sermon and stories in books I was told that God was the creator of all things, his son Jesus was sacrificed for our sins and eternal happiness awaits the faithful after people die. Pretty heady stuff for a child to wrap their brain around. But wait...those same wise folk, using the same tools of sermon and written story, had more to say. Santa Claus in his white beard and red suit would deliver presents to all good children in a single night, flying a sled drawn by flying reindeer no less...or the tooth fairy leaving money for first teeth placed under a pillow...or the Easter Bunny leaving a trail of candy eggs leading to a basket of sweets...the sandman..etc...etc. All perfectly reasonable to the gullible mind of a child...and why not...it is after all coming from the only authority I knew.I could trust.
      You can all see where this is going. One by one all these magical creatures eventually fell prey to revelations of falsehood.
      I was lied to.
      Now put aside for a minute what that does to the credibility of the authority figures, how is it that most everyone can rationalize their way out of belief in the imaginary figures of Santa, the Bunny and all the others but still maintain a belief in God? Why do the impossible feats of miracles or prayer remain feasible when all the other tall tales are dismissed as fantasy? Beats me.
      In the end it seems that through fear or ignorance a vast majority are in part still stuck in childhood. They even admit it...being called children of God.
      Time to grow up.

April 29, 2012 at 4:56 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

encore!!!

April 29, 2012 at 5:16 am |
  4. Megalomania 101

Yes, dear, the creator of the universe, of the entire vast cosmos, has decided that he/she/it has decided to converse audible with you on a frequent and recurring basis. This does not make you narcissistic or self-absorbed in the least. You are of course fully worthy of the unceasing attention of a supreme being.

Holy Wow.

April 29, 2012 at 2:57 am |
    • NClaw441

A God who made the universe could certainly communicate with us individually. Would He? Many of us believe so. Others may not. That is faith. Why disparage it? Why be unkind and intolerant?

April 29, 2012 at 7:05 am |
    • Terry

I am sure the voice says, leave 10% of your weekly salary in the basket, the pastor needs to make his monthly car payment for his Bentley.

April 29, 2012 at 8:17 am |
    • GodsVocalCord

@NClaw... Unkind?
      I think it's ok to point out how illogical and self inflated and self delusional someone is who posts an article online. She didn't have to write this drivel or have it posted. But she did (further proof how self important she feels).
      Well, then she has to live with reader responses. The woman is probably a nice person but I don't think I could stand being around her for more than 5 minutes. I say this out of kindness.

She shows the mental acuity of a 10 year old, who still believes in the easter bunny. That is pathetic. You can't have much of an adult conversation with someone like this. This article is choke full of fairy tales, make belief, wishful thinking and childish cuteseyness that is syruppy.

April 29, 2012 at 8:44 am |
  5. HellBent

This woman is obviously bat shit crazy. This article would be hilarious if she wasn't actually serious. Instead, its just rather pathetic and sad

April 29, 2012 at 2:54 am |
    • Jack

Agreed. The only thing more sad is that CNN would waste the zeros and ones to put this on their website. I expect the media to do a better job.

April 29, 2012 at 4:20 am |
    • wrong side of the bed

Disagreed.CNN posts something religious every Sunday to encourage debate and sometimes humorous comments.The only folks that get upset are the ones that take the postings seriously and feel a need to defend their unreasonable beliefs in god.PS:the non-believers are the only ones with an actual sense of humour.Maybe some people weren't in line when god handed out the funny-bones.Peace!

April 29, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  6. Curious

By definition, psychosis is a loss of contact with reality, usually including false beliefs about what is taking place and seeing or hearing things that aren't there.

Anyone care to explain why this woman isn't being treated for psychosis? Is psychosis acceptable if the same delusions and hallucinations are shared by a sizable group of people?

April 29, 2012 at 2:49 am |
  7. David Berkowitz

God speaks to me through my neighbor's black labrador retriever, Harvey. He issues irresistible commands that I must kill people.

April 29, 2012 at 2:16 am |
    • Terry

You missed the message altogether. Harvey said, "You have crap for brains".

April 29, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • GodsVocalCord

Terry, what's your problem? I hear my master's voice too, through my dog. Honest. How can you deny David and me free expression of our faiths, eh? You cannot disprove that our dogs are speaking to us, my own or the neighbor's....
      It's faith, man.
      If I say that's how dog [sic] speaks to me , well, then you have no right to object. I have the right to believe anything I want. It's called 'religion'...
      ; -)

April 29, 2012 at 8:49 am |
    • sqeptiq

I don't believe in Dog. You must be insane.

April 29, 2012 at 1:35 pm |
    • rochdoc

I understand half of this atheist blogging community is made of teenagers...
      Yes, go and ask your Dog how you should live, how you should help your community, how you should be compassionate to those who suffer. Look for clues to find out, if that barking is fogiving to your tortured mind, look for clues to find out how you can use yourself in the best service of others. O yes, I guess you have quick fixes for these problems in the form of what they sell in the streets.

April 29, 2012 at 8:53 pm |
  8. God, when he uses Frank Sinatra as his voice

Well, if this dame ain't the dumbest broad that's ever been, she'll do until the dumb broad gets here.

April 29, 2012 at 2:11 am |
    • Jenny

Oh, fluck that is funniest comment today. Thanks for the laugh.

April 29, 2012 at 6:41 am |
    • Jesus

For years my Grandmother when she was a teen thought that the voice of God was Frank Sinatra. She went to the Paramount theater, went back stage, and went down on Old Blue Eyes. Was not impressed. Frankie ruined his Godlike image in her eyes. Gods should have been more well endowed sayeth my Grandma.

April 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
  9. Mirosal

And here I thought "God" would be George Burns. Weren't they born around the same time anyway? Didn't any of you kids see the movie "Oh God"?

April 29, 2012 at 1:32 am |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

Watch out, now, or Mark the Piddler will be around to needle you about being the senior poster on the blog.

April 29, 2012 at 1:33 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

@Mirosal: Wishing you a Very Happy Birthday My Friend...hope you have a wonderful day.

April 29, 2012 at 5:50 am |
  10. Google Translator To The Rescue!!!!

Karen Spears Zacharias: "I hear the audible voice of God." "When God speaks to me, he sounds a lot like Garrison Keillor"

Translation: "If I wasn't so stupid and deluded, I would instantly recognize the obvious fact that this is my own imagination at work. I am telling myself things in Garrison Keillor's voice. I have long since lost the understanding that is me talking to myself."

God: "You know I’m a specialist on getting people out of trouble.”

Translation: "It does involve killing a lot of people, but that gets them out of trouble too. Then I burn them in Hell, just for giggles. Never mind all the people I am not so expert in getting out of trouble, all those victims of natural disaster and disease and crime. Even the ones who pray, like those nice Amish children who prayed then got gunned down."

CNN: "The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Karen Spears Zacharias."

Translation: "We know this is incredibly stupid shit, but we are totally out of content and have to reach into the crapola file."

Karen Spears Zacharias: "Yoda, also of “Star Trek,”

Translation: Just when you thought this piece just couldn't get any dumber . . . "

Karen Spears Zacharias: "We all have had days when we feel like we’ve failed God."

Translation: "I have no clue at all that there might be people of other religions and approached to religion, and even maybe people who don't believe at all. No, it's "We all . . ."

April 29, 2012 at 1:30 am |
  11. Voice of Reason

This chick just crucified her credibility as a journalist.

April 29, 2012 at 12:18 am |
    • Jeanine

Totally Agree.

April 29, 2012 at 12:30 am |
    • CNN

Why do you think twe keep her away from the real stories?

April 29, 2012 at 1:34 am |
  12. Flamespeak

Yoda is from 'Star Trek'?

While I am normally a calm individual, this kind of mistake gets my nerd rage boiling.

Like calling Captain Marvel 'Shazam' or refering to all video game consoles as 'Nintendo's or saying 'John Carter ripped off Avatar'.

April 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
    • A Chair To Your Face

Oh jesus world of warcraft playing christ, I hope you didn't spill any of your funyuns and mountain dew during your stupid little nerd tantrum.

April 28, 2012 at 11:55 pm |
    • Flamespeak

Spill a mountain dew around my keyboard? Perish the thought.

I bet Jesus would roll a druid.

April 29, 2012 at 12:20 am |
    • James Hawk III

Hey, @Chair, it's a question of fact. I don't know what your problem is–but on the other hand, your name is "A Chair to Your Face," so maybe I DO know what your problem is. Fell asleep during your impulse and anger management seminars, did you?

April 29, 2012 at 6:16 am |
    • Rich

*looks back at article*

It says "Star Wars", which is correct. Either you misread it, or someone went back and edited the story. But I gotta give points for the nerd rage anyway.

April 29, 2012 at 10:46 am |
    • Flamespeak

@ Rich

No, it originally read "Yoda, also from 'Star Trek' " and the author went back and changed the error at some point since last night and tonight.

April 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  13. George Burns

John Denver was a feather haired pansy...

April 28, 2012 at 11:49 pm |
  14. *frank*

"Karen Spears Zacharias" sounds like the title of a femdom porno.................

April 28, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  15. Abinadi

I think I heard his voice once. One early Sunday morning I was about to oversleep a church meeting that I was really supposed to be to. I heard an audible voice that sounded exactly like my father (growing up my father had often woken me up in the morning) calling my name. I woke up with a start and then realized my father was 200 miles away.

Since then I have had no trouble believing that Samuel had heard his name called by the Lord.

April 28, 2012 at 11:47 pm |
    • A Chair To Your Face

This is the dumbest story I have ever read.

April 28, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
    • Answer

All the whackos have their stories. Hopefully they have their proper meds too.

April 29, 2012 at 12:04 am |
    • Give Me A Fricking Break!

They have this thing when you are asleep called a "dream", where people talk to you and do all sorts of stuff that is IMAGINARY. Humans also have internal clocks – ever wake up exactly on time, even though the alarm did not go off? Ever see you dog get excited at exactly dinner time? Perfectly normal. Put the two together, and your Voice Of God moment becomes the perfectly normal operation of the human brain. You chose to think it was God, but sorry, it's just human nature.

Though if God actually was running around playing alarm clock, it would explain why he is too busy to stop cancer and birth defects and war and misery. That must be it.

April 29, 2012 at 1:45 am |
    • Here a Voice There a Voice

Abinadi,

Well, my deceased mother (very devoutly religious) spoke to me, by name, and said, "It is NOTHING like they say. They are ALL wrong. Enjoy your life. Do your best. And do not worry."

April 29, 2012 at 2:00 am |
    • Terry

I had a similar experience: I heard the word "DUCK" and it sounded like the voice of the AFLAC Duck, so indeed I ducked, and the bullet struck the wall above me. I believe that the voice of the AFLAC Duck, eighteen thousand miles away, came to me, or maybe it was my Gunny yelling, "incoming". Either way, it was a voice that kept me alive.

April 29, 2012 at 8:25 am |
    • wrong side of the bed

Angie Dickenson called my name to wake me up one morning.When I woke up she wasn't there.She was 800 miles away!Weird eh?Would it be possible that god sounds like Daffy Duck?Perhaps it has given up trying to speak to it's children and has resorted to texting.

April 29, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • ADX

Here a voice, there a voice -

Wish I'd known your mom. She sounds cool.

April 29, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • rochdoc

They call you dumb because they don't want to believe. They think people make up these things and do not have anything else to do just like them gathering to attack those who believe. Yes, this could be your own brain's method of alerting you. (I am sure you must have thought of this). I had similar experiences and there are hundred's of thousands belivers more outhere. This could just be that you were thinking about the particular matter too much, just trying to rationalize. But when you have odd expereinces pointing to the right directions, yes you become a believer.

April 29, 2012 at 3:04 pm |
  16. Colin

"I hear the audible voice of God. No, not in the same way that the Bible’s Eve did when God asked her outright and out loud: “Woman, what in my name have you done now?”

After having a thought provoking article about the impact on religion of critical thinking, CNN presents this playschool sh.it? Talk about peaks and valleys. Some mindless dribble from a journalistic flake about what the Christian sky fairy sounds like? Can you even imagine this woman trying to be taken seriously by her fellow authors/journalists who cover real issues like politics and international news?

"So, I covered the ciris in Syria this week. What did you do?"

"Well, I told the World that my imaginary friend sounded like Garrison Keillor."

Akward silence, eyes averted, subject quickly changed.

April 28, 2012 at 11:18 pm |
    • Answer

To give your delusions life you have to equate onto 'it' the qualities that you want 'it' to have.
      Defining them helps onto your imaginary sky fairy helps to keep you that much more into being that much more stupid.

Say like giving them virtues.. giving them hair, hair color, eye color.. lips. Different outifts.. clothes.. pets. Much like human does to their own pets (aka cats and dogs and turtles and such). It's the beginning of a fantasy to make them attainable.

It is what a person does to make them that much more enthralled with their religion, however sick they are.

April 28, 2012 at 11:33 pm |
    • rochdoc

Who is Ciris BTW?
      SO you can take only write ups that you believe in. This is a religion blog. What do you expect? Actually this piece is not even pro-christian, but not antichristian enough?
      I know the article you are talking about. A study designed to make believers look less intelligent than hethens – a study which does not prove anything either way. This was published in a dozen liberal papers that I did not care to read in CNN blog. Must have been a riot!

April 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • Jolt

rochdoc,

"Who is Ciris BTW?"

A transposed-letters typo, you jagoff. Now, your "hethens" - I wonder...

April 29, 2012 at 3:02 pm |
    • rochdoc

Not my first language.

April 29, 2012 at 3:06 pm |
  17. Justaman

want the truth? nobody knows

April 28, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

It doesn't sound like anything, as it doesn't exist.

April 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm |
  18. mikstov33

That's Star Wars,not Trek......Ashamed I am of this you see.Anyway, wasn't John Huston the Voice in more than one old film about biblical events? The Greatest Story Ever Told,maybe?
    Gods "voice" sounds whatever way your brain processes it as. If He sounds like Bugs Bunny, so be it.Trying to guess what He may sound like is just an invitation for another non-believer flog fest on this bastion of anti-religious parody called the CNN Belief Blog.Thiey need to find better subject material for actual discussion,not a Dean Martin Celebrity Roast of the faithful.

April 28, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
    • rochdoc

This is exactly what they want and they call it "religion" blog. The last good religion piece I read was from NYT as always. Newsweek used to run a BS religion blog authored by Lisa Miller, who in fact did not know anything about any religion. Looks like they fired her from that job, now she is just into her lib politics. CNN plays another game, by inviting antiChristians to have a antiChristian party through ridiculous write ups like this.

April 29, 2012 at 2:56 pm |
  19. Jo Gordon

Yoda is not from Star Trek. But from Star Wars. Proofreader please?

April 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • A Chair To Your Face

The fact that this bothers you is indisputable evidence that you are in fact a virgin.

April 28, 2012 at 10:54 pm |
  20. A Chair To Your Face

Pee Wee Herman? For the love of shit.

April 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
    • Tom, Tom, the Piper's Son

OK, that made me laugh like a little girl.

April 28, 2012 at 10:59 pm |