home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. aginghippy

How cute! People imagining what their imaginary friend might sound like.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  2. peoria

God sounds like Martin Luther and Joel Osteen and Ted Haggard you stupid commie liberal protestant idiot

April 29, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • FSM

Nope. He sounds like Sponge Bob. Don't you know anything? 😉

April 29, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  3. Daniel from Brooklyn

What asinine form of journalism is this supposed to be and how did this end up on the CNN homepage? This is embarrassing, even by the standards of a religion/opinion piece. Hey CNN homepage editor: your editorial skills are bad, and you should feel bad.

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  4. gitnr

Obviously hardly anybody commenting here can read anything just for fun anymore.

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  5. FSM

CNN, do you really have to post religious crap every friggin' SUNDAY? Oh well. It gives me something to make fun of on a weekly basis.

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • Hitchens

What do you expect CNN to post on a belief blog? What a rocket scientist you are !

April 29, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • FSM

Hitchens, you don't understand what I am saying, obviously. I am saying there should not be a religion blog at all. People like you only listen to what your pastor reads to you or tells you to read, anyway. Now go to church and bleat along in unison with the rest of the congregation. BAAAAAAAAA.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  6. fcs25

This article is a joke...correct? Or is it written by a member of some mental ward? If the Christian concept of God exist he has to be repulsed by this attempt of humor.

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • Dean

fcs25 This article is not a joke and rather than an attempt at humor in the way God speaks to his children, it lays out the many ways God uses to speak to us. As for the way we hear God other than reading the bible, it is in our mind with a clarity not matched by any human person on earth. I my self have experienced his voice ranging from a stern rebuke in cases where I had coming to us both laughing at my silly mistake and the results. As for the mental ward sourced basis for the article, that would appear to me as a commentary on Christianity in general by those who either do not see the that a physical creature such as ourselves require a spiritual foundation or they reject God for one or more reasons. With the many failings of Christians in full view of the public, it is no wonder there are so many that doubt there is a true and unchanging God. I will pray for you that you find God and peace for your soul.

April 29, 2012 at 9:34 am |
  7. Patrick

This is front-page commentary? What is this, Fox News? I read it just to comment on how silly this is.

So she hears voices that we all have heard, but twists them to fit into her faith or into the context of whatever she's going through. That's not the voice of God, that's Leonard Nimoy. Let me make this clear: SHE IS NOT HEARING GOD and she knows it. She thinks Yoda is his vessel, which is perhaps even more delusional.

Four of the six voices of God she listed were TV and movie personalities. Too bad she banned TV from her children. Guess they won't hear God, will they?

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  8. rjo3491

I think God is speaking to me now. I have to leave this conversation to take my morning dump.

April 29, 2012 at 9:02 am |
  9. shawn

if your hearing voices in your head,your crazy!!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 9:02 am |
  10. Aezel

""A Prairie Home Companion" was our primary form of entertainment on Sunday afternoons. With Sundays as our Sabbath, I suppose it is natural for me to associate God with Garrison."

I know Garrison personally. He's an a****le. Poor choice lady, poor choice.

April 29, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • Name*Chedar

I know many out there associate God with Rush Limbaugh and Glenn Beck. I know for sure the GOP and the Tea Party do.

April 29, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  11. stjdsj

True Christians have everything to gain (eternal life) and nothing to lose (except the pleasures of sin in this short life); while unbelievers have everything to lose (eternal torment in Hell) and nothing to gain (except the pleasures of sin in this short life).
    If Christians are wrong, they will only rot in the grave as unbelievers do; but if Christians are right, they will live forever in a painless, righteous world with eternal bodies, while unbelievers suffer forever in torture.

Eternity is a long, long time to be wrong!

“The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." (Psalm14:1)

April 29, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • vylo

The flying Spaghetti monster is more benevolent then the Christian god, you have everything to gain by believing in him!

April 29, 2012 at 9:04 am |
    • FSM

blah, blah, blah.... Do you realize how stupid this all sounds to rational human beings?

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • n8263

What if Islam is the truth? Fools think Pascal's Wager is logical.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • FSM

You see? The Flying Spaghetti Monster is talking to you. Two of us posted at the same time in response to you. It's a miracle! RAMEN!

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • Aezel

The argument you have just presented is known as Pascal's Wager and it is a thoroughly laughable argument to anyone with a brain.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZpJ7yUPwdU&w=640&h=360]

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • JT

Too bad you've fallen for the arrogant idea that there are only two choices, your's which is the correct one and everyone else who are wrong. Turns out the Jews were correct to not fall for this false prophit called Jesus and you've been duped by satan and will roast for eternity along side all non-Jews. Enjoy hell sucker!

April 29, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • Patrick

I'm not spending this life, the only life I have, praising a fantasy megalomaniacal tyrant who will supposedly cast me to hell if I don't compliment him enough. The fear of hell is just a device used to keep little children (and Christians with the mentality of little children, which is most) in line.

April 29, 2012 at 9:08 am |
    • Kebos

An often said reason to be a Christian. To equate unbelievers to be sinners is an arrogant assumption. I don't believe in Jesus as the son of god as much as I don't believe in Santa Claus. But I am not a sinner. I apply the golden rule every day in my life. I treat all living things with respect and dignity. I don't cheat, lie, kill and I am faithful to my wife. If by some wild stretch of imagination there was a heaven (which there isn't) and I was not allowed to ever enter because I was an unbeliever, then fine by me. It would take an eternity for me to want to be part of such an unjust place.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • cigarsnwhiskey

Ah, the hoary old Pascal's Wager.

This is what Sam Harris says:

"Beliefs are not like clothing: comfort, utility, and attractiveness cannot be one’s conscious criteria for acquiring them. It is true that people often believe things for bad reasons—self-deception, wishful thinking, and a wide variety of other cognitive biases really do cloud our thinking—but bad reasons only tend to work when they are unrecognized. Pascal’s wager suggests that a rational person can knowingly believe a proposition purely out of concern for his future gratification. I suspect no one ever acquires his religious beliefs in this way (Pascal certainly didn’t). But even if some people do, who could be so foolish as to think that such beliefs are likely to be true?"

Now, go "talk" to yer invisible cloud being – just leave the rest of us alone.

April 29, 2012 at 9:19 am |
  12. Aezel

Lol this lady is so far off the deep end even the sharks won't come after her. Delusional episodes with schizophrenic paranoid fantasy. She needs a psychologist.

April 29, 2012 at 8:59 am |
  13. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things.

April 29, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • FSM

Insanity is not healthy for children and other living things, but I bet that's what you have at your house.

April 29, 2012 at 9:01 am |
    • Argonaut

Yes....prayer gives your children permanent psychosis and false hope.

April 29, 2012 at 9:02 am |
    • nope

@fsm
      nope
      @argonaut
      nope

April 29, 2012 at 9:04 am |
  14. Argonaut

Just click your heels together and repeat "there's no place like home."

April 29, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  15. ZCarter

What a load of crap.

April 29, 2012 at 8:57 am |
  16. SCOOBY DOO

Amen, toArgonaut. Amen.

April 29, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • Argonaut

Gilligan: "Sorry Skipper...I forgot to use the glue and the boat we just fixed sank in the lagoon." Skipper: "That's okay little God."

April 29, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  17. thinquer

Hebrews 1:1,2 God today speaks to us through the pages of the Bible, the written account of his works and his Son. If we don't start there, we can imagine anything we hear to be coming from Him, and go off track. Start there just to be sure.

April 29, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • n8263

Why not start with the Q'uran?

April 29, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • FSM

Yeah, and the Big Bad Wolf talks to us in The Three Little Pigs, too.

April 29, 2012 at 9:02 am |
  18. Elliott Carlin

Ms. Zacharias shows very little intelligence or insight when it comes to what the Scriptures say about God.

April 29, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • report_abuse

or much else

April 29, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  19. Meh

Atheism = the truth

April 29, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Hitchens

Atheism is the stupidest bull anyone could buy into.

April 29, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • Argonaut

Atheism isn't buying into the bull. If you don't believe in Hindi or Buddhism or Islam, then you are an Atheist too, excluding your own belief. You exclude them without a second thought. You're just more of a hypocrite.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • Danno

A man who lives in the sky created a world of humans for the sole purpose of worshiping him? Yea that makes way more sense than science.

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • bucricket

so....believing in nothing is the truth?

April 29, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • Danno

I believe in a lot of things. Fortunately they all have scientific evidence behind them.

April 29, 2012 at 9:16 am |
  20. report_abuse

What tripe. I wonder if she passed this artcle to anyone for review. Can you imagine any credible or caring soul endorsing it?

April 29, 2012 at 8:56 am |