home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Praetorian

If it's making people hear voices that aren't really there, shouldn't there be a warning label or something on religion? Seriously, like they have on a pack of cigarettes. "WARNING: Religious belief can cause closed-mindedness, poverty, intolerance, irrational fear, reduced intelligence, and make you delusional. Use with extreme caution. If you start to hear voices that aren't really there, seek professional help immediately. And we're NOT talking about Pastor Somebodyorother either.

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 am |
  2. Charles

The voice of God is indistinguishable from auditory hallucination. Get more sleep, or find the right medication.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  3. stjdsj

“We proclaim to you the One who existed from the beginning, whom we have heard and seen. We saw Him with our own eyes and touched Him with our own hands. He is the Word of life. This One who is life itself was revealed to us, and we have seen Him. And now we testify and proclaim to you that He is the One who is eternal life. He was with the Father, and then he was revealed to us. We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.” (1John 1:1-3, written eyewitness testimony by John, about A.D. 70)

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
    • zoroastor

so if the average lifespan of someone around that time was about 40 years old, and Jesus was supposed to have be crucified on 33ad, then it is unlikely John was even alive in 70 AD, and why did it take him until 70 ad to write anything?

Tell me is it really a sacrifice if you know you can come back from the dead? I really don't think so

April 29, 2012 at 9:19 am |
    • Kebos

Gee, someone wrote this so it must be true.

You may think that by believing this puts you in some special category of people and that you will one day be rewarded in the kingdom of heaven.

No, you will live your days believing in the grandest manipulation of mankind only to die the same as everyone else. To cease to exist like everyone else. But if living under a delusion gets you through your days, then so be it.

April 29, 2012 at 9:21 am |
  4. lolzz

Hearing voices? There are pills for that. Why are mentally ill religious nutjobs making the news?

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  5. zoroastor

If you personally think the creator of the universe is taking to you, I think you should see a psychiatrist. Seriously, if you hear Mr. Spock telling you to do things this is called Schizophrenia

@ stjdsj – So please tell me who will be in heaven, only "certain" Christians according to your silly book of fairy tales? What about 3/5ths of the world's population who are not? All the Atheists, Muslims, Jews, Sikhs, Jains, Mormons, Buddhists, Taoists, ZoroAstrians, un baptized babies, etc are all going to suffer in eternal hell fire? Christian logic makes no sense.

I would much rather spend "eternity" in hell with the sinners. Spending eternity with a group of evangelical Christians would certainly be a true hell for me.

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 am |
  6. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • Argonaut

Keep repeating that over and over....it changes things...for the worse.

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • Grumpster

I pray that you stop repeating this post over and over.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
    • lolzz

So does a visit to the psychiatrist. See one. You'll be glad you did.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
    • jamesT297

Name two –

1. ____________________________________________________________________________

2. ____________________________________________________________________________

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
    • ReasonableChristianity

Grumpster, do you want atheists on these "boards" to stop posting the same things over and over again, or is that ok?

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • nope

@argonaut
      nope,

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • Hitchens

@jamest297
      !. slavery.
      2. American independance

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 am |
    • Mike

Did you pray to grow a brain? How did it go?

April 29, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  7. marjee123

Do these people really believe that any body of sound mind believes that God talks to them. No matter who that person is they have to be a little off to think any sane person thinks that God talks to them. Do we have a country of crazies.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • Hitchens

Maybe God speaks to those He loves.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  8. Blasphemy

I would not scoff the voice of God so much it there were not so many who think they have heard it and now want to tell the rest of us how to live.

There is an entire Political Party based on that.

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 am |
    • macdaddyoh

OMG!!! People are screwed up. Really, God talks to you? Your a liar and a nut case. Check yourself into the nearest nut house.

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 am |
  9. zedd

God sounds a bit like Helen Keller to me.

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 am |
  10. bobdevo

Funny thing, when God talks to me, he sound just like Curly from the 3 Stooges . . .nyuk, nyuk, nyuk...

April 29, 2012 at 9:11 am |
  11. Paul Falduto

If this woman is serious, she is delusional. I am not saying it is delusional to believe in a higher power, although I don't, but to think he/she/it actually talks to you is delusional.

April 29, 2012 at 9:10 am |
  12. flying spaghetti monster

"When one person suffers from a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion, it is called Religion."

- Robert M. Pirsig

April 29, 2012 at 9:09 am |
    • Argonaut

Besides, we all know FSM has bigger balls anyway....and I just love the way he touches people with his noodley appendage.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  13. pauleky

I just don't understand how anyone can read this and not think, "These people are crazy!" How can otherwise rational, intelligent people believe these fairy tales. Seriously, if you are hearing voices in your head, ESPECIALLY celebrity voices telling you they are god, please get yourself to the emergency psychiatric ward nearest you.

Yeah, I know someone's going to say, "Well, you're right – you don't understand." Having been raised Southern Baptist I probably understand better than most. This is insanity of epic proportions and this kind of Dark Ages thinking is dragging us all down. Time to move forward and leave this mythology behind.

April 29, 2012 at 9:09 am |
    • Dave in Portland

like x 1000

May 7, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  14. Blasphemy

Stand behind a cow and you learn what the voice of God sounds like soon enough.

April 29, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  15. satch

This is up there with the stupidest da_n things I have heard in a long time.

April 29, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  16. Bud Weiser

Wow, dumbest article ever. God will not tolerate joke articles such as this!!! May you burn in hell!

April 29, 2012 at 9:07 am |
  17. Dave- the big god in florida

Has anyone else noticed how low CNN seems to be sinking to attract some Faux News asylum inmates for themselves???

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 am |
  18. Complutensian Polyglot

I feel dumber for having read this. This kind of über-sentimental crap makes me ill. It is less theology and more idolatry; turning God into your own little idol– whatever "voice" you desire. Delusional.

April 29, 2012 at 9:06 am |
    • OmniVI

Wow this is the craziest $#!+ I have ever heard. I'm really scared now.

April 29, 2012 at 9:14 am |
  19. Woody

I knew a woman who talked to god on a regular basis. This seemed to always occur when we were "doing it". Apparently, god is hard of hearing because she tried to get his attention by repeatedly calling his name. After a while, she must have gotten a little impatient with god's lack of response because she would just let out an "Oh Goooooooooooooooood!!!!!). She never did tell me what god's voice sounded like, however.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 am |
    • from God's breakfast table

Thank you, Woody. You made my Sunday morning.
      Off I go, those annoying church services, in the western world. Then I am back in the Pacific, rooster sacrifices, then back to China, India, cow sacrifices, pig sacrifices, eat pork, don't eat pork, eat cows, don't eat cows.

Sighs, it just never ends.

Woody, could you introduce me to that lady?? I'd love to give her some response...

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • jamesT297

All the women I know have had the same experience. I'm beginning to think they really think there really is a dog.

April 29, 2012 at 9:21 am |
  20. from God's breakfast table

Now now, kids. Keep it quiet , I am trying to enjoy a nice cup of coffee before the mad Sunday morning rush to churches and temples and synagogues starts.
    And then I have to hang around listening to their prayer thingie, Jeeeesus, how boring, (no, I didn't call you, boy), and then I have to do it in every darn timezone, in every religion.
    I tell you, what gets me is, that they think their muslim god cancels out the christian god, the catholic god , the baptist god. And vice versa. Won't these kids ever learn and grow up?
    Hey, Krishna, sit down, there is fresh coffee here. Have a croisant, peach jam with ham. Oh, there's bacon and brisket too.
    God (no, I am not calling myself), I love a good breakfast with pork and beef.

April 29, 2012 at 9:05 am |