home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. cosmicsnoop

How very cute, and delusional.

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  2. stjdsj

“The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when He was taken up to heaven, after He had by the Holy Spirit given orders to the apostles whom He had chosen.
    “To these He also presented Himself alive after His suffering, by many convincing proofs, appearing to them over a period of FORTY DAYS and speaking of the things concerning the kingdom of God.” (Acts 1:1-3, written testimony by Luke, A.D. 62)

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  3. David

Why is this front page news? Why am I commenting on is?

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • David

Correction - why is this front page news and why am I commenting on this? Aaaaahhhhhh!

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  4. scoobypoo

Zeus just told me to tell you all that he is alive and well, and quite tired of being ignored.

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • BethTX

Heretic! If you don't worship Poseidon you're going to be sent to Chuck E Cheese for all eternity.

April 29, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

More likely the Orca tank at Sea World...

April 29, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  5. BethTX

An invisible being is speaking to you? Lady, time to up your meds.

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  6. Dan

God doesn't speak to anyone, because God doesn't have a voice. God is not a personality. When people are hearing the voice of Inner Guidance this is the eternal part of the self, which is the part of each person that has never left God. Throughout the ages it has often been called the Knowing Mind, or Knowledge with a capital K. It is the force of the Holy Spirit that moves people to find purpose, meaning, and direction.

To learn more about the Knowing Mind, visit newmessage.org

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Kebos

God doesn't exist.

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • nope

@kebos
      nope
      you're wrong

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  7. carl

CNN it's CABLE NEWS NETWORK.
    You know NEWS....that's current events.
    If I want to read this stuff I can watch Entertainment Tonight.
    Pathetic.

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  8. Yahweh.

What does the lord's flatulence smell like? I bet it smells like frankincense and myrrh.

April 29, 2012 at 9:24 am |
    • bob

No, more like fire and brimstone. He's a jealous, vain, vengeful deity don't forget.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am |
  9. Shimon Cleopas

1/9 By nature and to remain current, scientific truths should constantly undergo evaluations or retrials by evolving generations.

2/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot command violent weather systems to calm down is an outdated Jesus Christ.

3/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot reconcile divided Christians is an outdated Jesus Christ.

4/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot wed two nations, two peoples and two religions together is an outdated Jesus Christ.

5/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot obliterate the dajjal is an obsolete Jesus Christ

6/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot rebuild the Jerusalem Temple in three days or three millennia is an obsolete Jesus Christ.

7/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot resurrect Himself in this third day or third millennium is an obsolete Jesus Christ.

8/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot prove Himself God is outdated Jesus Christ.

9/9 A Jesus Christ that does not, will not and cannot command religious warriors to put their swords, including nuclear, back to their scabbards is obsolete.

Change , indeed we can: Jesus Christ or Truth as He claimed Himself to be should undergo A FAIR SCIENTIFIC RETRIAL long overdue.

April 29, 2012 at 9:23 am |
  10. yeap that's right

My Faith: What does God sound like?

Mr. Christopher Hitchen

April 29, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • Hitchens

Before or after his throat rotted out?

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  11. Norma Joian

The story of Jesus that you've heard is a farce. What really occurred is a Jewish couple named Joseph & Mary were rejected by the innkeeper when he realized that the sacrifice of the first born would bloody up his room. So, not wanting to lose favor with the King he told them they could do their tradition of bloody sacrifice of the first born in the stable. However, moments before the dagger was about to descend on the throat of the first born Jesus they happened to see the star in the east. Being ignorant of astronomy & science they thought it was a miracle & decided this would be a good excuse to spare their child. The three Magi that were sent by the King to arrest Mary & Joseph if they didn't follow Jewish protocol if they didn't sacrifice their first born agreed with them that this star in the east had to of been a miracle & that was what really started Christianity.

April 29, 2012 at 9:21 am |
  12. JT

Andrea Yates is now requesting to start attending church once again. Remember she was the fanatical delusional Christian woman who drowned her five children for she feared they were destined for hell. God was telling her to do all kinds of things.and she was just following orders. For those of you who claim to also hear god telling you to do things, beware for you are suffering from a mental illness.

Mixing religion with mental illness is like throwing gasoline on a fire.

April 29, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  13. scoobypoo

hearing voices in your head is a sign of mental instability

April 29, 2012 at 9:20 am |
    • AGuest9

Agreed. So is feeling the need to endlessly post "Prayer changes things". [see below]

April 29, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • nope

@Aguest9
      nope.

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  14. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 29, 2012 at 9:19 am |
    • Todd in DC

Atheism is not healthy... You are such a troll. You say the same damn thing in different threads.

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • Prayer changes things

Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things
      Two truths that need retelling

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • Weibert

This totally explains why the dinosaurs are extinct. Thanks!

April 30, 2012 at 7:27 am |
  15. BD

Morgan Freeman and Lenard Nemoy, anyone whose played one of the later civilization games knows what I'm talking about.

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 am |
  16. TownC

God can send us messages in many ways. He can send us messages through the scriptures, through thoughts and impressions, or through other people. The fact is that he is a kind loving God who is interested in us personally is a wonderful aspect of our relationship with him.

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 am |
    • scoobypoo

yeah, this "loving" god will banish you to eternal torture if you don't love him back; oh, that makes sense.

April 29, 2012 at 9:21 am |
    • JT

How do you determine if thoughts and impressions are simply thoughts and impressions within your brain or are inserted by the creator of the universe?

April 29, 2012 at 9:23 am |
    • Name*Chedar

"Kind and loving God" This is what is wrong with Christians. Read your Bible well and tell me how loving that God is. ??????

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  17. gabe levally

Is this crap really what makes it to the front page of CNN? We have alot more going on right now that we can wait to babble on about some friggin religion.

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 am |
    • Kebos

No, other crap makes it to the front pages of CNN.

April 29, 2012 at 9:24 am |
    • JT

But it is very newsworthy to be alerted to and understand the mass delusion that is out there. These people are are large block of voters and make decisions that affect us all based on these delusions. Remember how many candidates say god told them to run?

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Michael M.

Exactly what I was thinking. I guess they had to make up for their "Study Proves Critical Thinking Reduces Religious Tendencies" bit a few days ago by putting this junk on here.

This isn't any type of news at all. This is a conversation over lemon tarts and sweet tea.

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  18. Redford

What does CNN sound like when reporting the news? A donkey braying.

April 29, 2012 at 9:18 am |
  19. Hitchens

@jamest297
    1.slavery
    2. American independance

April 29, 2012 at 9:17 am |
    • jamesT297

Those occurrences were the result of prayer? Who knew. Wouldn't it have been better if the prayers to not permit slavery and create a free nation were answered before the slavery and despotism took root? You are one sorry and mentally ill puppy.

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  20. Kebos

I've been following this site and commenting for a long time. This article definitely ranks as one of the top five most ridiculous and juvenile articles of all time. Let's have a sequel: What Does Santa Claus Sound Like?

April 29, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • easterbunny

agreed. I was hoping for many more entertaining comments at the end of this article hahaha

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
    • AGuest9

And on this Blog, that's REALLY saying something!

April 29, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • This is how

How to bring up good christian and muslim children.

1) Spa-nk your children to rob them of their spirit (much easier to spa-nk a child than to sit down and talk with them, it's easier on you. This also helps them identify with you and becoming a christian or muslim too.)

2) Bring them to a church where they are reminded they are sinners ( reducing children follows the terrorist rule in brainwashing)

3) have them join and hear people singing euphoric music. (This is the final step which creates a unity so they feel they belong.)

In the end, you will have wonderful christian or muslim children, and if you do your job well, they will become racist and haters too.

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 am |