home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. PulTab

If you're hearing voices in your head, you are just plain "f"ing nuts!

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  2. justin opinion

It's this notion that the voice in your head is god that leads some people to do very crazy and often harmful things. Everyone has a "voice" in their head, most noticeable when reading, writing or quietly observing the world. But most people figure out that it is self generated, even if not always self controlled, even if it may sometimes sounds like Spock or Bullwinkle Moose.

I've noticed that my voice likes to tell jokes when I'm trying to be serious, which is not surprising since I like to tell jokes when others are trying to be serious. My voice also has the exact same tastes as me. The same judgments, sense of humor, and morality and even the same favorite color... If I were to believe this was god, I could only conclude that god hates coconut, really cold weather, and likes the color blue-green. So if I thought that voice in my head was actually god, I would probably be in court explaining that "I did it because God told me to cut down all the coconut trees." Of course, maybe if I was lucky, this lady would be on the jury.

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 am |
  3. stjdsj

“So when it was evening on that day, the first day of the week, and when the doors were shut where the disciples were, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in their midst and said to them, ‘Peace be with you.’ And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples then rejoiced when they SAW the Lord.” (John 20:18-20, written eyewitness testimony by John that Jesus was RAISED FROM THE DEAD)

April 29, 2012 at 9:37 am |
    • sybaris

Praise zombie Jesus.

You do know that it is physically impossible to crucify someone by driving spikes through their hands. Your hands will not support the weight of your body for very long. So obviously the people who fake stigmata and who wrote the Bible stories never saw an allegedly resurrected Jesus nor anyone that had been crucified for that matter.

April 29, 2012 at 9:42 am |
  4. Word

Albert Fish (serial killer 1870 – 1836) killed around 23 people. He murdered and ate a number of his victims. At his trial, he professed that he heard the voice of God telling him to kill children.

Wonder what God sounded like to Albert fish?

When someone says that he hears God telling him to kill children, he's labelled mentally ill. At the very least, he or she is considered by a great majority of society to be disturbed.

I'm having trouble seeing just where that line gets drawn.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • sybaris

I wonder what it sounded like to the people in the Bible who were told by the same god to kill children as well.

April 29, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • esoteric1

if God told me to kill and eat children I would tell Him to phuuckk oph.

April 29, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  5. BethTX

If someone told you he believes 100% that an invisible man is watching him and judging him 24/7 and that this man (we'll call him Steve, but he is known by many names) has a special book of rules that you have to follow or he will punish you for all eternity, what would your response be? Further, Steve has helpers (also invisible, so don't ask to see them) who jet around saving people and guarding the faithful. Oh, yeah, and these helpers can fly. The rational response would be to back away slowly. But if someone rationalizes his delusions by saying he's religious, we let it go. Why?

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

As a good Estabanite, I never question the mysterious will of the great Steve.

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  6. Ar.se-Knuckle Anderson

I expect a non-existent being to not exist, including related non-existent noises or speech.

April 29, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  7. Bewb Handd

God sounds like a joke spoken with fart-music. True fact.

April 29, 2012 at 9:33 am |
  8. OmniVI

Wouldn't it be cool if god sounded like MC Search from 3rd Bass?

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 am |
  9. cosmicsnoop

A good writer never uses glaring generalizations. "We all have had days when we feel like we’ve failed God." I have never felt like I "failed" God in my life. I don't think about it at all and you can't offend God in any way, whatsoever. What a ridiculous statement and article.

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 am |
  10. I got your answer right heah

God sounds like a real piece of sh***t.
    That's what he sounds like.

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 am |
  11. Really?

To republicans, God sounds like Rush Limburger. But in reality, God is a frequency of 1×10^16 Hertz of silence. Hear that silence and hear God. But anyone that claims to hear God specially Evangelical Christians...Ahem...is really lying to us all.

April 29, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • OhMyDog

Well, they are certainly either lying to themselves or have a mental disorder.

April 29, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  12. n8263

Any body who honestly thinks they can hear the audible voice of God needs to be on medication.

April 29, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • Paul

Anybody who thinks, without a shred of evidence, that there is a sentient omnipotent being called god is not a rational person. Whether that person hears god or not is irrelevant.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • OhMyDog

I know you meant to say,

Any body who honestly thinks they can hear the audible voice of THE MYTH THAT IS God needs to be on medication.

April 29, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  13. SAM

In the novel 'The Book of Eli' the voice of God to the main character Eli Canaan sounds like Orson Welles. The author points out that God sounds like other people both famous and not so famous to the person in Heaven who is listening.

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 am |
  14. Atheism is not healthy for children and other living things

Prayer changes things .

April 29, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • esoteric1

yes...it changes one from being unproductive and unhelpful to humanity when in prayer...to the opposite when not praying.

April 29, 2012 at 9:39 am |
  15. Briar

What a ridiculous and embarrassing article. This is funnier than the the Onion, but also a little sad because it's on a real news site.

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  16. Kaycee

He sounds like James Mason... GRIN

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • Peter Grenader

Hail Eddie!

April 29, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  17. chadg76

I cannot believe that a news source like CNN gives space to psychotic delusions like this author is handing out. Religion is by far the biggest farce and form of mass psychosis man has ever burdened itself with. Just a waste of a perfectly fine brain that nature saw to evolve for us.

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • Metalman

CNN knows you feel that way...that's why they print garbage like this for your edification.

April 29, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • OhMyDog

Well, apparently there are some brains that are not perfectly fine. And it's within those brains that the God myth has evolved.

April 29, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  18. cjeddie

does CNN intentionally publish these articles to expose the silliness of religion to the masses? they are doing a good job.

April 29, 2012 at 9:29 am |
    • chadg76

I hope so. I can't believe that any rational human capable of abstract thought and objectivity believes any of this man made garbage.

April 29, 2012 at 9:31 am |
    • jamesT297

You might be on to something.

April 29, 2012 at 9:34 am |
    • OhMyDog

To chadg76 who said, "I can't believe that any rational human capable of abstract thought and objectivity believes any of this man made garbage."

You are referencing the wrong subset of humanity. It's those who have been indoctrinated from a very young age and therefore rendered incapable of objectivity who believe in these god myths. Don't stress yourself out worrying about those of us who can form an objective view of the world. We're fine and happy to have you among us.

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  19. BLOCKthisCOMMENT from Satan's right hand man

Religion has actually convinced people that there`s an invisible man - living in the sky - who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do..And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever `til the end of time! ...But He loves you. -George Carlin

April 29, 2012 at 9:28 am |
    • OhMyDog

Actually, the list was 15 things he forbids, but Moses dropped and shattered one of the tablets. This is a fact; I saw it in the movie History of the World part 1 by Mel Brooks.

April 29, 2012 at 10:00 am |
  20. Shimon Cleopas

1/9 The ultimate purpose of resources given by Divine Providence is the capture of God and Satan, 2012’s 2 most wanted fish.

2/9 Capture of God and Satan transforms earth into paradise.

3/9 Capture of God and Satan secures not just America

4/9 Capture of God and Satan transforms “Death to America!” into “Thank you so much America!”

5/9 Capture of God and Satan is the key to the Kingdom of Heaven.

6/9 The rock-solid scientific evidence that Jesus Christ is God: a) engineers the return of Jesus Christ and b) obliterates Satan

7/9 Vatican and the Evangelicals do not yet have the rock-solid scientific evidence that Jesus is God.

8/9 Vatican and the Evangelicals do not yet have the keys to the Kingdom of Heaven.

9/9 Until the two big fish basking in its Reflecting Pool are caught, Washington will continue to leak 2 billion tax dollars per week.

SHOCK AND AWE inadequate when Wash DC suddenly discovers 2 big fish basking in its shallow Reflecting Pool that it failed to catch in Tora Bora.

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • esoteric1

Please tell me you location...I will bring the straight jacket....the state will provide the padded cell.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • JerseyJeff

Wow! Scary people.
      I bet Shimon enjoys long walks along highways with cardboard signs.

April 29, 2012 at 9:40 am |