home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Peter Grenader

A Prairie Home Companion? Really? How long to you think it took your children to actually get the gist of that radio show and why do you think that was good parenting? I mean seriously, can you imagine what they went through listening to all the other kids talk about TV shows? Get back to us all would you please when they reach their teens. I can't wait to hear an update.

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  2. ReligionIs4Dolts

What does "god" sound like when "he" farts?

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • JT

What do you think thunder really is? Duh! Hellbound scientists try to tell you it's some kind of natural phenonomon but that's just Satan trying to lead you astray.

April 29, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • PulTab

Have you ever heard one of those four cylinder cars with the loud exhaust pipe? That's what it sounds like.

April 29, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  3. Bill

Why would God speak to us symbolically? Why deal with us in was we, as humans, manipulate for our own selfish purposes. Perhaps the ignorant fools before us understood more direct communication was the way. If it is, we , and our scientists, may have blinded ourselves from seeing the forest becasue we seek to see the bark of a tree. Intelligence, and all learning, covers up as much as it illuminates.

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • This is how

Many christions believe they never evolved. I'd have to agree. Wish they would one day, and join civilized man.

April 29, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  4. Wholly Mary

The sound of silence, THERE'S NOBODY THERE! (except those funny voices in your head)

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  5. Robert

A baby crying, a dog barking, a child laughing, a bird chirping, the sound of the wind blowing through the trees, and silence... That is what God sounds like.

April 29, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  6. The Devil

Are you fu**ing kidding me, CNN? This inane drivel isn't worth the server space on which it resides.

April 29, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  7. DefyTheGods

You guys can laugh all and joke all you want! I've heard God speak! In case you're wondering, he sounds exactly like Pee-Wee Herman!

April 29, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  8. Cedar rapids

"It is a particularly troubling matter when God goes silent on us, when we can’t hear his voice at all, "

its ok, those moments are called 'sanity', its the preferred state of affairs.

April 29, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  9. jmitchem

God spoke to me once. Six words. Here's the story: http://obsessedwithconformity.com/215/sober/ And he actually sounded like how God sounded when the burning bush talked to Moses in the Ten Commandments.

April 29, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  10. MalcomR

Seek immediate psychiatric help if you hear voices that are not clearly your own internal dialog.

April 29, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • jmitchem

Dude, that's so shallow. No, you're wrong. Just because you don't have a personal reference point to this phenomenon doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It doesn't exist for you because you haven't opened your mind and heart up to it. If you can do that, you'll understand. And no, I'm not going to sit here and accuse you of not being able to open your mind and heart as a way to attack your short-sightedness, but rather I'm going to say that you can too. Give it a try. Be less cynical.

April 29, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • AGuest9

@jmitchem, it sounds like a good atypical antipsychotic might do some good. A person who is suffering from psychosis is out of touch with reality, may hear "voices" or have strange and illogical ideas. There area a wide range for a medical professional to choose from, presently. Clozapine, as well as other atypical antipsychotics are available, including risperidone, aripiprazole, olanzapine, quetiapine, and ziprasidone.

April 29, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • PulTab

Well said MalcomR.

April 29, 2012 at 10:06 am |
  11. Steve

This is insane. No one can hear the actual voice of god because he does not exist. People are delusional. People need to grow up and stop believing in their imaginary friends.

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  12. Josef Bleaux

All religions are nothing but ancient mythology, written thousands of years ago by members of primitive cultures. All primitive cultures have their mythology; creation myths, afterlife myths, myths about miracles, etc. etc. etc. It was just primitive man's attempt to explain existence and to find comfort in the face of their mortality.

Which religion you are is based almost entirely on where you were born, If you were born in the west, you were indoctrinated practically from birth to believe in Christianity, so that's what you believe. If you were born in India, you were indoctrinated practically from birth to believe in Hinduism, so that's what you believe, etc. etc. etc. It's just so utterly obvious. It has nothing to do with logic, reason and objectivity, just indoctrination. Anyone with an IQ higher than Forest Gump could see that if they actually THOUGHT about it objectively, using logic and reason instead of blindly accepting what you've been told to believe.

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • God eats little children

Is this Dawkins rehashing his book again?

April 29, 2012 at 9:53 am |
  13. JonJon

Why are these people not in psychiatric wards?

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • God eats little children

Too full already! They are using the gym to house religious people even now!

April 29, 2012 at 9:52 am |
  14. lolzz

What would the church of Bill Maher say to this? Bill? Are you out there? 😀

April 29, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • Alex

He would say that anyone who thinks they're hearing the voice of god should be put into a mental hospital.

April 29, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • God eats little children

I'm listening!

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |
    • edwardo

We don't have a "church", no more than an anarchy has a "white house". I work in a mental facility. If someone hears voices, by law, they are "Baker Acted", and they are committed for a minimum of 48 hours.

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |
  15. Susan Tetewsky

Who cares what God sounds like. My God has a bigger Schwanstuker than your god!

April 29, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • God eats little children

Is the voice in your head telling you that?

April 29, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • Cedar rapids

my god can condemn your god.
      rasp!

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  16. Arthur Paliden

What is really needed is Christianity without Religion

April 29, 2012 at 9:48 am |
    • God eats little children

Or religion without Christianity!

April 29, 2012 at 9:48 am |
  17. God eats little children

OK, so the writer wants to be a comedian. Not quite funny yet, but can't blame her for trying!

April 29, 2012 at 9:47 am |
  18. kso

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do, because I notice it always coincides with their own desires."
    susan_b_anthony

April 29, 2012 at 9:46 am |
  19. The tooth fairy

Karen,

Maybe if you took a couple of science courses you might become a little more enlightened than you are now.

April 29, 2012 at 9:46 am |
  20. Tim

The fact that a news outlet is openly allowing people to explain that its normal to hear voices in your head, and justify it by saying that the voice is 'God' is incredibly disheartening. CNN is entertainment, nothing else. Certainly not a credible news source, and is quickly becoming the next 'FOX.'

April 29, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • lolzz

Romney is funding this article. He's a big nutjob too.

April 29, 2012 at 9:50 am |