home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Conartist

Ask the mothers who drown their babies by God's order how he sounded to them. I bet insane.

April 29, 2012 at 4:42 am |
    • WWJD

They are obeying the devil, not God.

April 29, 2012 at 4:47 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

WWJD=SATAN or WWJD=atheist
      As an agnostic, I am on the fence with this one.

April 29, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

WWJD: Wrong, Andrea Yates specifically stated she heard god and was diagnosed with religious psychosis.

April 29, 2012 at 5:45 am |
    • Uncle Bob

WWJD – how do YOU determine whether it's god or the devil talking to YOU?

April 29, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • rochdoc

You must be referring to the CNN's new fight on church based on the this sick woman request to attend church. Do you really think a monther will drown her 7 children if she was sane? This woman had serious psychiatric problem which was getting treated for many years. This does not make all followers of Jesus crazy lunatics. If this woman is treated and in conrol do you think she should n't be attanding a church service which possibly can heal her broken spirit? I see clearly how the Athiest Morality will be working if allowed to be the moral code of the country. That will be only couple of steps from Hitler or Stalin's moral code.

April 29, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
    • rochdoc

Question about how to check if the voice is devil or God's. First of all, God does not "talk" to you just like that. Of it happens, it happens to people who pray a lot, or who give God priority in their lives. Any new revelation should be verified with scripture so you can see if it is false revelation. Of course God does not cast a shadow on you. Godly persons are calmer and wise. The revelations to Godly persons does not happen such a way that it keeps on pestering them like "do this, jump from the building" etc, there are no commands repeated 15 times a day, distressing the person. God's revelations are comforting.
      A good psychiatrist can see if a person has psychosis or mania. Devil really does not "talk" to you, at all. Still a lot of times, when you are far away from God's presence, your mind can go through a rough patch where you can see yourself going through a very dark place. You would want to run away from anything good and Godly, just like a lot of these atheist bloggers are doing.

April 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • The voice of your dog

It's not "what" the voices tell you to do that means you are crazy. The fact that you believe there are voices is sufficient.

Voices tell you to hurt people: crazy
      Voices tell you to pay your bills and get some exercise: crazy

April 29, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  2. Kevin

When you talk to God, it's called prayer.
    When God talks to you.. you're nuts.

April 29, 2012 at 4:40 am |
    • satch

Actually nuts applies in either case.

April 29, 2012 at 9:12 am |
  3. WWJD

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

April 29, 2012 at 4:37 am |
    • Amanda

SPAM

April 29, 2012 at 4:40 am |
    • Conartist

This has NOT been a public service announcement.

April 29, 2012 at 4:42 am |
    • WWJD

Atheism is deviant behavior.

April 29, 2012 at 4:45 am |
    • kwb

this was one of the most uninformed, biased, and saddest responses to an article i've ever read. nothing which you've outlined as an argument supports your premise that you're about to disclose "truth" and "fact" about why atheism is bad.

i'm a roman catholic – and i believe that the world today is dominated by secular and religious problems dominating an otherwise civilized world. if you're from the US like i am, please move far, far away so those who believe in the first amendment and support all people the freedom to believe and live as they choose so we can focus on real issues like the economy, education, and ending oppression/slavery throughout the world.

What Would Jesus Do? forgive you for being a sad, uninformed idiot, i presume.

April 29, 2012 at 4:53 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

>>ATHEISTS WILL BURN IN HELLFIRE AND BRIMSTONE WHERE THEY BELONG AND I THANK GOD FOR THIS<<

it appears WWJD is claiming to be GOD, or knows exactly what GOD is going to do in the future and delights in misery of others.

WWJD tell me: if GOD decides with the infinite power wand, to turn atheists at the last possible moment in time into Christians, and you do not get to see them burn forever in your greatest place of suffering, and instead they get a front seat at the table, how bitter and betrayed are you going to be? enough to switch sides and go in league with SATAN and his minions, who loves to see others suffer? change your name from WWJD to WWSD? try some anger management classes.

April 29, 2012 at 4:57 am |
    • Bootyfunk

koo-koo!

April 29, 2012 at 5:23 am |
    • Ken

Atheist suck end of story

April 29, 2012 at 6:02 am |
    • Russ

Uhhh... Either your just trolling or your a complete idiot. I hope your just trolling...

April 29, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • satch

Changed my mind, this is the stupidest thing I have heard in a long time.

April 29, 2012 at 9:13 am |
    • OmniVI

You need help...wait it's Sunday, what are you doing posting on CNN? Shouldn't you be out giving you money to a con artist? Or supporting child abusers?

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • Reason & Logic

Have you been transported from the 15th century to today's world? You are so unChrist-like.

April 29, 2012 at 9:44 am |
    • P Ness

April 29, 2012 at 9:51 am |
    • husker

So much for being non judgemental.

April 29, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • BettieBellacosa

Many(not a few)100% true reasons why the above post is devoid of logic, reason, or tolerance:

1. RED HERRING
      2. RED HERRING
      3. RED HERRING
      4. RED HERRING
      5. AD HOMENIM
      6. AD HOMENIM
      7. AD HOMENIM
      8. BANDWAGON
      9. BANDWAGON

If there is a hell, I will see you there.

(Disclaimer: Logical fallacies above are not listed by the type of fallacy committed in the same points enumerated by WWJD, but rather the sum total of but a few relied upon in WWJD's original post)

April 29, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • lolzz2

WWJD, naw what your mom does is deviant behaviour. Say hi to her for me.

April 29, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • capitalist

Uh, atheists by definition don't believe in heaven, hell, or your imaginary friend. Also, who would want to belong to a cult/religiion that demeans people that base their "non'beliefs" on science and proven facts? I suggest you pray/have a seance with your imaginary friend/zombie to reconcile this issue.

April 29, 2012 at 11:31 am |
    • rochdoc

add hateful also.
      and poor judgement –

April 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • therealtdog

Athiesm is actually NOT a religion... it's a lack of one.

April 29, 2012 at 2:12 pm |
  4. some1somewhere

Whoever put that link "Study: Analytic thinking can decrease religious belief" at the bottom really had a sense of humor. Nice one...

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 am |
  5. Amanda

Look, I'm agnostic so I usually stick to a live and let live kind of thinking. You can believe whatever it takes to get you through the day and I won't get upset. Tolerance is a wonderful thing, but if you ever again tell people that Yoda is from Star Trek, I will go friggin' Pope Stephen VI on you. (J/k of course – but seriously...)

April 29, 2012 at 4:29 am |
    • MT

lol

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 am |
    • CS

You must be one of those cosplay cunts. Do you dress like an elf on the weekends? I hate fat chicks that think they look hot in elf ears or when they try to dress up like that star wars trick princess laya or whatever her name is.

April 29, 2012 at 4:44 am |
    • Amanda

Aww look at you trying to be all big and bad. Did spelling that dirty word out make you all hot and bothered. Don't worry, once you grow out of those awkward teenage years you'll make some buddies. It's the hormones that causes that awful petulance.

April 29, 2012 at 4:49 am |
    • CS

Once you lose some weight and get a few hundred hours worth of plastic surgery then you start wearing pretty clothes.

April 29, 2012 at 4:52 am |
    • Amanda

Really? That's really the best trolling you can do? It's a religion article! This is the easy stuff! Go read "Trolling for Dummies" and report back with some better material. I expect at lease 500 words – double spaced. Chop, Chop!

April 29, 2012 at 4:56 am |
    • CS

Sure thing, chunk.

April 29, 2012 at 4:57 am |
    • Steve

Amanda, LOL! Well played on all of your posts. It appears the other poster has a serious self-esteem issue.

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  6. lastofall

Actually God said, "What is this that thou hast done"? but as Eve did, so you also have modified what God actually said, even if ever so slightly. As for hearing His voice, we may hear His still small voice, when we are not distracted from all the noise of this world.

April 29, 2012 at 4:28 am |
    • Bruce

No it's actually the voice inside your head..you only think there is really a GOD. News flash? Man made up the GOD thing to feel better and to control weak minded people. When you die......YOU DIE/ end of story...end of movie...

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 am |
    • Dani3l

You have modified it as well. The book we know as Genesis is a Jewish scripture, written in Hebrew, in which God says, "מה-רזאת עשית ותאמר".

In translating between languages, one can only try one's best to capture the sense of the passage. There is no single correct translation.

April 29, 2012 at 4:43 am |
    • Ken

Ignore Bruce he is a stupid fool

April 29, 2012 at 6:04 am |
    • lolzz

Translation: "Blah blah blah blah blah blah." ™

April 29, 2012 at 9:24 am |
    • edwardo

God asked "what is this thou hast done'? He didn't know? He had to look for them in the garden because he didn't know where they were. He called out to them "Where art thou'? For an omniscient being, he sure gets confused sometimes.

April 29, 2012 at 9:54 am |
    • sqeptiq

Does God really say "thou" and "hast?"

April 29, 2012 at 1:43 pm |
  7. MT

A fine example of egomaniacal delirium. What privilege these people, who converse with a God who answers, allow themselves. It is one thing to want to listen to the radio, a wholly other, when the radio turns itself on when the house has no electricity.

April 29, 2012 at 4:28 am |
  8. Logic

I'm pretty sure auditory hallucinations are grounds for being committed. This is really on the front page?

April 29, 2012 at 4:28 am |
    • lolzz

Remember, one of these nutjobs – who wears magical underwear – is running for president.

April 29, 2012 at 9:25 am |
  9. Abrrey

So if I created a sentient form of life that required millions of years to come about I would require no loyalty. That makes me more humble than the christian god, wasn't hard to do. I just wish more would use their heads and may we all live in peace. ( I guess this isn't reality though...)

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 am |
    • Bruce

I wish more people would understand this. They never will.

April 29, 2012 at 4:29 am |
    • WWJD

You are not God so you can not speak for Hi or His reasoning which is above yours

April 29, 2012 at 4:30 am |
    • Abrret

My point is not to say I am a god, or god. My point is to say if I somehow possessed the knowledge to create a sentient form of life I would not lord over it. Ha pun intended. but seriously how small a person would a being have to be to create sentient life and make other sentient life fight itself. Besides don't you think a smart god would at least arrange our eye tissues better than that of the octopus'? If the chance of life coming about spontaneously is in the trillions how likely is it that something else spontaneously came into being before that was all knowing? still in the trillions. My point is that we might as well all be introspective and do our best to help each other. If you get past racism, political affiliation, and class, we all have the same interests. That is most of us are poor have been born to crap and will remain crap if we don't fight so... Let's fight. Even if it is just for fun! I as a sentient (for I feel that I think and therefore I am) being feel that I am allowed what I feel is happiness. this is transient and fleeting but Worth it... Happiness!!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 4:40 am |
    • WWJD

It does not matter since you are not Him. You can not say what you would do or would not do because that is against His will. His will is HIS alone and not for you to decide. If you do not like it then you can take it up with HIM at your judgement.

April 29, 2012 at 4:49 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

WWJD: You're not said god either but yet you claim to have divine knowledge. You really are delusional and need some good anti-psychotic meds for those delusions you're suffering from little one!

April 29, 2012 at 5:47 am |
    • lolzz

WWJD, see a psych. Seriously.

April 29, 2012 at 9:27 am |
  10. CS

First the religious nuts said the earth was flat and wanted those inprisoned who said otherwise.
    The nuts were proved wrong.

Then the religious nuts said the earth was the center of all things and wanted to inprison Galileo and Newton.
    The nuts were proved wrong, the sun is the center of ONE tiny solar system.

Then the nuts called scientists heretics for proclaiming there were dinosaurs.
    They were proved wrong again.

Then the nuts wanted to inprison Darwin.
    They are soon to be proved wrong again...even Pope John Paul realized this when he said evolution was a viable theory.

So NUTS...when the next new discovery threatens your closed rigid minds...will you finally open your minds?

April 29, 2012 at 4:25 am |
    • Bruce

April 29, 2012 at 4:26 am |
    • WWJD

God created science.

April 29, 2012 at 4:26 am |
    • Edward Simms

Don't expect it. Reason is beyond the nuts.

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 am |
    • Amanda

See? I actually LIKE this, I knew you could do better.

April 29, 2012 at 4:58 am |
    • Matt

The prophet Isaiah described the earth as round. Don't blame him for the dark ages.

April 29, 2012 at 7:21 pm |
  11. John in Vegas

Hey Karen, does God do a good Elvis impersonation? We could use a new act down here!

April 29, 2012 at 4:23 am |
  12. Bruce

This is total illusion and mind control as all organized religion is. Trust me, if GOD really wanted to talk to YOU he would be heard LOUD and CLEAR. He would not let anyone else talk for him. However GOD is something man made up to comfort him therefore, there is no need to worry what GOD is saying. There really is NO GOD>

April 29, 2012 at 4:23 am |
  13. Jack

She's either late on April 1 or *really* early.

April 29, 2012 at 4:21 am |
  14. Bootyfunk

when i read the bible, the Emperor from Star Wars seems to fit God's voice perfectly.

April 29, 2012 at 4:21 am |
    • mbjrp36

Something something something sin something something something salvation.

April 29, 2012 at 4:27 am |
  15. mbjrp36

If Spock is god, sign me up.

April 29, 2012 at 4:21 am |
  16. Don'tBelieveTheLiesOfReligion

Only the veneer of familiarity makes religious behavior any different from insane behavior.

April 29, 2012 at 4:19 am |
  17. GH

Sounds a lot like schizophrenia to me, but then again, isn't the credibility of every religion based on some "blessed" individual hearing divine voices and scribbling it down?

We would be mining Mars and perfecting faster-than-light travel at this point if only Haldol were available at ye' old apothecary in Jerusalem 2000 years ago.

April 29, 2012 at 4:18 am |
  18. Andy

Schizophrenia is treatable nowadays. Please seek help if you're hearing any voices.

April 29, 2012 at 4:17 am |
  19. allenwoll

What a malignant ego these "audio-folk" have !

April 29, 2012 at 4:16 am |
  20. Bootyfunk

"what does God sound like?"

what does santa claus sound like? or the easter bunny? or the tooth fairy? people that truly "hear" God in their heads are insane, confused, liars or a combination of the three. what you're "hearing" is your imagination. grow up.

you are in a cult. it is called christianity. you don't have to stay in the cult. you can think for yourself. try it. you'll find it a liberating experience.

April 29, 2012 at 4:14 am |