home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Voice of Reason

This is a late April Fool's joke, right? If it isn't, seriously folks, someone mentioned the "Baker Act" and if anyone is a candidate for being placed under observation for 48 hours it is this chick. I cannot imagine what she was thinking when she hit the "send" button? On top of it she has other published works with engaging ti_tles that I have noted never to read one word of them.

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  2. Ewing

Maybe, seeing s Shrink would be a wise choice...........

April 29, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  3. Dan

My imaginary friend sends me text messages.

April 29, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • tkessler45

...turns out they're nigerian scam artists trying to steal your money.

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  4. tkessler45

The lady's wrong about Yoda...he's not god to star wars fans. "The Force" is...Yoda is like Mohammed to muslims.

April 29, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  5. Nealb4

Human beings are so arrogant and disrespectful. There are as many gods as there are cultures on earth and yet each believes they are right. Too steadfast to admit they conjured up this god in their own image to satisfy the question, "where am I from?"

Silly article on a Sunday morning.

April 29, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  6. LCS

Trivialize much?

April 29, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  7. Dan

The voices in my head are telling me to stop coming to this website.

April 29, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • Religion

If you hear voices in your head you may have a mental condition. I would recommend Ms. Spears keep mental health professionals immediately.

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  8. David in Cincinnati

God must work in mysterious ways. Otherwise, in His omnipotence, surely He would use ordinary means to communicate with me.

Dear personal God, speak so that not only I hear Garrison's voice. Write me a real letter. I will answer.

April 29, 2012 at 10:10 am |
  9. Tully

I can't speak for anybody else, but for me, God responds to my Prayers and questions by way of an answer I "feel", rather than actually "Hear" words. A feeling of reassurance tells me which path God wants me to take. The reason I CONTINUE to ask for His Guidance is because whenever I follow His lead, the outcome is ALWAYS good. Whenever I have not, I have suffered and learned. I don't claim to understand WHY God does or doesn't do what WE ask of Him or from Him. I can only say that God has never, EVER, led me wrong. The ONLY times I have suffered hard times in my life, are those I have encountered as a result of MY choices alone. Every time I have stopped, thought and Prayed before making a tuff choice in my Life, God has pointed me in the right direction. If you "non-believers" could somehow see my Life in particular, all 57 years of it, you'd see the incredible lows of my own doing, the point I truly gave up on life, my begging God, in desperation for help, His Divine intervention, my years of hard work and Prayer, and finally, this Wonderful Life He has Blessed my Family and self with, You could find the Peace that can ONLY comes when you ASK. The ONLY things one needs : ASK, from your Heart (Pray), Wait for an answer, (an answer WILL come) be Brave enough to FOLLOW His answer, and Give Thanks by telling others of His Works in your Life. It Truly IS as simple as that. You don't need a Bible or a degree in Theology.
    I ask my Loving God to help YOU this very moment, and for a Wonderful New Beginning for all of us in need. Amen.

April 29, 2012 at 10:10 am |
    • jamesT297

Does it FEEL to you like god is helping me at this moment?

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • This is how

praying to a volcano achieves the same.

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • tkessler45

Whew...you properly capitalized all the god references in there...good work, my child.

April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Shove it!

April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • Religion

Did God teach you to Use mixed Caps when you Write Sentences too? Why do all the nutjobs use mixed caps when writing?

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  10. Eon

Ya know, they lock people up for hearing voices that aren't real

April 29, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  11. Dana

Can we please get this religious "news" off the front page of CNN?

April 29, 2012 at 10:09 am |
    • lolzz

You'd better make sure Romney doesn't get elected President – – or you'll be seeing this crap every day – and it'll be this diatribe that will be GOVERNING the everyday workings of the USA! Can you imagine national security being at the hands of nutjobs like this? Like... mentally ill individuals like this – have their finger on big red button ™ ... in charge of the nuclear codes?

April 29, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • hmm

Amen! Woman is mentally ill!

April 29, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  12. contraryjim

It's all in your head – believe or not. Just don't attempt to force others to your beliefs

April 29, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  13. thegadfly

I think the important point to make is that the voices are all in your heads. Listen to them, if you must, but don't expect them to be omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, or in any way divine. They are in fact, quite capable of evil, or at very least, seriously bad advice.

April 29, 2012 at 10:08 am |
  14. jamesT297

Did I fall asleep and when I awoke find myself on the FoxNews site?

April 29, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • tkessler45

The lordeth beith withith youith on this sudayth......aaaaaaaaa(wo)men....

April 29, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  15. reportinghasgonetohell

Why is this drivel top story "news".

April 29, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  16. Dave

This is the front page article?? This is idiotic. It's bad enough (and so arrogant) that people claim that God speaks to them. Worse yet, someone claims that God sounds like Yoda. Yes, the supreme being sounds like a Star Wars character...

When God speaks to me, he sounds like Porky Pig with an Irish accent and a slight lisp.

April 29, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • AGuest9

James Earl Jones (Darth Vader) – TWO Star Wars characters!

April 29, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Dave

Wait...God just contacted me again...he sounds like Chewbacca! I hate it when he speaks Wookie. Can't understand a dang thing he is saying.

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  17. tkessler45

I love my imaginary friends as well, but the difference here is I know they're imaginary.

April 29, 2012 at 10:05 am |
  18. joel palmer

CNN needs to stop putting this crap up; it is about the equivalent of giving support for the flat earth theory and as meaningful

April 29, 2012 at 10:04 am |
  19. stjdsj

“The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds; There is no one who does good.
    The LORD has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, who seek after God.
    They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt; There is no one who does good, not even one.
    Do all the workers of wickedness not know, who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the Lord?
    There they are in great dread, for God is with the righteous generation.” (Psalm 14:1-5)

April 29, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • joel palmer

umm.... NOPE

April 29, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • Dan

It's always amusing when people quote this nonsense as if it really happened.

April 29, 2012 at 10:05 am |
    • tkessler45

Quoting the bible just confirms you have no mind to think for yourself.

April 29, 2012 at 10:06 am |
    • Dana

Shouldn't you be in church right now giving 10% of your income to the child molesters?

April 29, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • This is how

hey Dana.. No wonder they dress up kids to bring them to church.

April 29, 2012 at 10:09 am |
    • Eon

"Candy is dandy, but liquor is quicker" Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...

See I can quote non-sense too 🙂

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

Where's the causal relationship? All I see is semi-coherent conjecture in that excerpt.

April 29, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • hmm

Quoting a book of your faith to PROVE your faith is silly.

April 29, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  20. Dana

Another brain-washed religious fool.

April 29, 2012 at 10:04 am |