home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. geno

When God speaks to me , She sounds like Pearl Bailey.

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  2. jimmy

Judging by her picture I'd say the author is related to Marshal Applewhite

April 29, 2012 at 10:18 am |
  3. geno

When God speaks to me, She sounds like Pearl Bailey.

April 29, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  4. Dan

He would probably sound like the men that wrote the fairy tale in the first place.

April 29, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  5. joe

Karen,

God speaks to you? The creator of a billion galaxies? All powerful and all knowledgeable? Has he told you how to cure cancer so millions of children can stop suffering? Ha he told you why he randomly killed those 120,000 people in that tsunami a couple of years ago? Has he given you the formula for renewable clean energy so humans can stop warring over oil? Has he told you when he's going to set the Muslims straight on their false Allah God?

You're article is offensive. You are probably not very intelligent and most likely suffer from a mental disorder.

April 29, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • puckles

U R really stupid. It is MEN who are causing all the problems on the earth, NOT God. If people are stupid enough to live in an earthquake zone, right next to the ocean, then they get what they deserve when nature takes its course. If men were not pumping chemicals into the air, making chemical food and poisoning the drinking water there would be no more cancers. You, Sir, are a fool.

April 29, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • hmm

Puckles...they get what they deserve? Wow, I hope you don't call yourself a Christian.
      And you totally missed the point of the OP's post: the author is most likely mentally ILL if she hears voices. If she *is* talking to god, why doesn't he give her some useful info?

April 29, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  6. Mike

I am a devout Christian, but wish there were more substantial pieces here in the belief section. This opens us up to the usual ridicule from those who expect us to have juvenile thought processes (God speaking like Yoda? Are you schizoid?) As a physician, I have been involved in cases that would be truely spiritually edifying. As a man of science, I can honestly say that there is more to this life than what can be perceived with the 5 senses. Unfortunately, articles like this actually undermine our faith.

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • joe

Sure you are a physician–maybe a chiropractor or a dentist.

No medical physician is a devout Christian. Medical physicians are men of science. Devout Christians are anti-science by definition.

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Mike

A cardiologist. The more you know, the more humble you become.

April 29, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Charles

Agree!

April 29, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Notanapologist

A devout Christian? How can you read the bible and not be offended? That "god" you read of is a horrible, murderer, brutal, capricious Dear Leader who demands mind-numbing servitude. So does North Korea. Even a casual read of the bible reveals huge gaps in reality and logic that even the slowest of minds can see through.

April 29, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

There's obviously more to this life than what we can perceive with our limited senses. As another man of science, I have seen first-hand how we can pull back the veil through the use of technology to see beyond our senses in some areas (modern imaging technologies such as SEM). It seems to me that it is just a matter of time (assuming we don't destroy ourselves first) before we figure out how to remove the veil completely.

I think our opinions differ on what is currently still behind the veil. I'm comfortable with just acknowledging that I do not know and hoping that my colleagues and our descendants will figure it out someday.

As a professed man of science, you must rely upon verifiable evidence to come to an informed opinion. What evidence do you have of the existence of a god? If your evidence is simply that we cannot understand/properly perceive, it seems to me that you are taking a big leap.

April 29, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • Mike

Dear Notan...
      You have clearly made your decision. That's fine. More hateful atheists than you have done 180's on their deathbeds. I hope that you fine enlightenment someday.
      Mike

April 29, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • hmm

Someone is "hateful" b/c he or she doesn't believe in god?
      People who repent on their deathbeds are suckers.

April 29, 2012 at 10:39 am |
    • hmm

And people who believe they are "enlightened" b/c they think that have the "truth" are obnoxious, regardless of which faith they folllow.

April 29, 2012 at 10:40 am |
  7. Question ..

.. how do I know which voice is God's and then which God?

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  8. Yo

I think God sounds like Snoop Dogg.

"Put your monizzle into the offering platizzle because the high priestizzle needs a new carizzle.

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  9. Godfrey

To me, God's voice sounds like the screams of terror and agony of all the victims of religious zealotry over the past 25 centuries.

Humanity: let's wake up from the nightmare of religion, shall we?

April 29, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • edwardo

applause ! applause!

April 29, 2012 at 10:17 am |
  10. Darth Cheney

Speaking as an agnostic – if there is a God that "speaks", I'd wager the languages are math and music.

April 29, 2012 at 10:15 am |
  11. bencoates57

CNN puts this stuff up here not because it thinks its worthy but because it's wants ti belittle spirituality. Only 5 year olds concern themselves with God's voice

April 29, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • Godfrey

I agree with you about CNN. It's one of the few good things about the network.

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 am |
  12. Zeta Reticulan

To humans, Gods sound like Yoda since they were ancient aliens.

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  13. Da Fuji

If you are hearing voices in your head you should be committed to an insane asylum. What a bunch of whack jobs. Didn't Bush literally hear Gods voice too? Monkey's I tell ya, MONKEYS!!!!

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
  14. Luz

If God spoke to us, in whatever way God could speak to us – would anyone bother to listen?

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • ReligionIs4Dolts

Probably so, IF and ONLY IF the voice was obviously coming from something that could not possibly be manipulated by any man (whereas all religions are made up by and transmitted to the masses by an opportunistic man or cabal of men and are therefore automatically suspect and obviously CRAP),

April 29, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • AGuest9

I would have thought that "I AM OZ!" would have taught you a thing or two about gods "talking" to you.

April 29, 2012 at 10:33 am |
  15. Chuck

Hearing what you want to hear inside your own head? Good for her. Now if the voice told her anything relevant that she couldn't possibly already know like, how to cure the common cold or, where the Lost Dutchman Mine is, I might believe she's got more than just a vivid imagination.

April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  16. Doctor

God speaks to me in Dolby Surround 5.1, it's really nice with the Audyssey system and dynamic equalization.
    But what's really priceless is the Pause button.

April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  17. ReligionIs4Dolts

Are you sure "god" doesn't really sound like Flavah-Flav? Or maybe Steve Erkel? Mortimer Snerd? W. C. Fields?

April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  18. Notanapologist

CNN, through these "faith" articles, is doing us all a favour. It shows us just how laughably unhinged in their thinking these religious types are, and how sane atheists are. Thank you CNN for yet another clear example. The sad part is that these foolish people try to impress this nonsense on their children.

April 29, 2012 at 10:13 am |
    • FoodForThought

Well said!

April 29, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • AGuest9

Absolutely.

April 29, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  19. vinobianco

I believe this woman has schizophrenia

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
  20. lolzz

When are religious nutjobs of all races going to drink the magic kool-aid so the rest of the civilized world can live their lives in peace?

April 29, 2012 at 10:12 am |
    • Dan

Not soon enough.

April 29, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • Chuck

Amen, I mean right on!

April 29, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Godfrey

That's an idiotic statement. Many people I love are religious, so please feel free to go fu ck yourself.

People are wired to believe this stuff. It's in our DNA. The answer is education.

April 29, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • lolzz2

It's not in our DNA, du mb a ss, people were programmed this way – as children. Brainwashed until they've become mentally ill.

April 29, 2012 at 10:23 am |