home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. piuslung

When you speak to God, you're a religious idiot. When God speaks to you, you're schizophrenic.

April 29, 2012 at 10:29 am |
    • Bob

Bingo.

Ask the questions. Break the chains. Join the movement. Be free of Christianity and other superstitions.

April 29, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  2. This is how

Satan is the coolest character in the bible. christians always bad mouth him, yet this guy never had a chance to say his side of the story. Christians are such vengeful people, unfair and dishonest at best.

April 29, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  3. BuleriaChk

god speaks to me, but his accent is so bad I can't understand a word he says.......:-)

April 29, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • piuslung

Maybe he's calling from India...

April 29, 2012 at 10:46 am |
  4. Bobby

Did CNN seriously make this the most prominent "story" on the front page? Hey, if I write an essay on the existence of the Easter Bunny, will you publish it?

April 29, 2012 at 10:27 am |
  5. stjdsj

“But realize this, that in the last days difficult times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, revilers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, malicious gossips, without self-control, brutal, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power.” (2Timothy 3:1-5, written by Paul to Timothy, A.D. 64)

April 29, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Bob

That's worthless, STD. Anyone can predict bad times, and be sure that they will happen at some point in the future (again and again). If you want any cred for your sky fairy story, give specific dates with your predictions and proof (or just piss off).

April 29, 2012 at 10:34 am |
    • LarryB

If that statement is to be held as "gospel' then the "last days" have lasted almost since the beginning of man. Human behavior and desires haven't change much in thousands of years. It is amazing to me how people will quote the bible as some sort of truthful, holy and unwavering text. It is a dark fantasy written and sanitized a long time ago by middle eastern fanatics. It is NOT the word of God. To our knowledge, God has never written anything. Nor does he speak to people and sound like James Jones, Morgan Freeman or Jerry Lewis. If God exists, he wants the afterlife to be a complete surprise. Faith is simply what you cling to when you don't get the answers you want to hear.

April 29, 2012 at 10:43 am |
    • hmm

Hey, why not write your OWN words rather than just quoting some old book?

April 29, 2012 at 10:44 am |
  6. god dont throw dice

As a person consumed with facts and logic, it's absolutely embarrassing that this article was not only posted, but was center of CNN's homepage. This causes me to lose a great deal of respect for CNN as a news source.

If this lady had said that she was communicating with her dead father, she would be escorted to the nearest physiologist for evaluation. But since she's hearing mysterious voices under the pretense that it is God, she is allowed to write an article about her personal experiences for (what used to be) a credible news source.

Personal experience, in my opinion, is a faulty judge of truth. There is no scale that can be set that adequately measures human experience. For example, Einstein's general relativity makes predictions about gravity. Are they absolutely, 100% true? No one really knows. But what can't be argued is that it is a strikingly accurate judge of how objects in space interact. Anyone with knowledge of the theory can use it themselves and see if the results correspond with what is experimentally found (i.e. it can be tested over and over by various people).

This article makes claims about truth, but since its a first person narrative, it can't be taken for anything more than a story (and a rather poorly constructed one at that). People need to realize that the mere utterance of a phrase does NOT automatically make it so. Words can be beautiful, but they can also be very misleading.

This country needs to understand that just because something was written a long time ago (*cough*cough* the bible), it isn't automatically true. Think for yourself. Watch debates about this stuff. And please read Darwin's "origin of the species" before you dismiss evolution.

Peace

April 29, 2012 at 10:26 am |
  7. HONESTLY!

God doesn't "speak" to anyone. He gave us commonsense, and imparted a natural way for us to follow his direction. The bible is the word of man, voted on by a panel of politicians as to what to omit, and what not to omit.
    HOW DOES GOD COMMUNICATE TO US?
    EXAMPLE:
    If you do something, and it causes "pain" to yourself or others, god has already communicated his stance to you by making you feel "pain". Therefore letting you know in a very real way, that what you did is wrong! Its that easy folks, put down your bible, and use your head!!

April 29, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Why do you need a god to have common sense?

April 29, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • tkessler45

To the religious person, "God" is them, their thoughts, and their beliefs. The problem is when they can't see this for what it is. To an extent it is a schizophrenic mentality.

April 29, 2012 at 10:37 am |
    • piuslung

You're obviously not using your head if you think God is communicating to us through pain. Does God communicate to us through pleasure as well? If so, then if a person feels pleasure by killing another or by blowing up a building with many people inside, does that mean God approves of it? According to your logic, it would. No, my confused friend, you've still got a long way to go. Peace.

April 29, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  8. bencoates57

Author doesn't look like she has two brain cells to rub together. And CNN tapped her to talk to me about matters of my soul?

April 29, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Bob

You apparently listened to her.

April 29, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  9. budshot

...and Santa Clause sounds like? That voice in your head is your own wishful delusions. We are such a primitive society, for so many to still believe in this nonsense.

April 29, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  10. Surfeit

The point made around 4:00 in this video comes to mind whenever people talk of speaking with God: http://youtu.be/-j8ZMMuu7MU

April 29, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • tkessler45

Good video!

April 29, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  11. Jules

I called my dad one day in the late summer of 2010 and he told me that he thought he was going to die within the next year. Since my dad was pretty strong for a man of 89 years who always said he wanted to live to 104, I was suprised. I asked him why he said that and he said that he had a dream that he was with God. He said that God told him he had to truly forgive his youngest brother who always got him into trouble when he was a teenager. Dad said that God told him his brother had been dead for 30 years so it was time to let it go. My dad said he was walking with God in this large room and God asked him if he liked being with him and my dad responded that it was really great and he loved it. God told my dad that this is what it will be like when I come to take you home. I asked my dad if he saw God and in trypical Minnestoa fashion he said, "you betcha." I asked what God looked like and dad said he looked a lot like my grandpa Mickey, my mother's dad. Dad said he always loved his father-in-law so he felt very comfortable with God. (My theory was that God took a form my dad was really comfortable with.) Months later my dad was diagnosed with colon cancer and came through the surgery with flying colors. The day he was to go home his intestine ruptured so another emergency surgery was done. This time he came out of it bedridden and with two bags. I was sitting with him a couple days after that surgery when he cried out, "mercy, mercy, mercy, Jesus, get me out of this bed or take me home." The next day one of his intestines died and he refused a third operation saying that he was ready to go home. He was alert to within the last few hours and pain free. My brother asked him if he would like him to give him a shave so he would look good for Jesus. My dad nodded and proceeded to move his face so my brother could get into all the nooks and crannies of a soon to be 90 year old man. My dad died in such faith and was a living testimony to all who came in contact with him over his 17 days in the hospital. It was an awesome experience for us his children. We will never doubt and will be ready to go home when the time comes. God looks and sounds like someone who is comforting to us.

April 29, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Dave

If your "god" gave a damn, why did he torture your father that way in the first place?

April 29, 2012 at 10:25 am |
    • edwardo

Comforting? What about AIDS patients? Starving babies? Where's their comfort. Your father was a very old man, and his death was quite normal. Sad, but normal. And I'm sorry for your loss. But, the Xtian god comforts nobody, he could care less.

April 29, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • hmm

"I asked what God looked like and dad said he looked a lot like my grandpa Mickey, my mother's dad. "

Um. Then wouldn't the most logical leap be to say that it was actually your grandpa Mickey, and NOT god?! Why assume it's god?

April 29, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  12. Cristina Adams

Of all the voices she hears as belonging to God, the only female one is "momma?" That's pathetic. What about Meryl Streep? Or Lesley Stahl? Or Alfre Woodard? Or Cokie Roberts? Or Leontyne Price? If you're actually going to give "God" a voice and a gender, why does it always have to be male by default? Seems to me Ms. Zacharias is just part of the herd that follows the dictates of a patriarchal society.

April 29, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  13. Question ..

.. believing followers out there, you do know that CNN is making fun of you, right?

April 29, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  14. Lawrence Thompson

I don' think God needs Hollywood be express Himself, just pure hearts on the receiving end.

April 29, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • Circular logic

and if you don't hear God then you don't have a "pure" heart ... how convenient.

April 29, 2012 at 10:23 am |
  15. Chikkipop

There have been many silly articles in this section, but this one has to be the silliest.

April 29, 2012 at 10:21 am |
  16. Eric

I do believe God talks to people, but whoever is talking to you is not God. You cannot make God mad or disappointed in you – as you state in your article. God loves you and cares about you and nothing you can do will ever change this because your sins are forgiven through Christ.

April 29, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • turn it off

Eric,
      You seem to know a lot about what god thinks. Do you have a bat-phone connection directly to him/her/it?

April 29, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Jeff

Of course god loves you, just not the hundreds of millions of starving and poor people across the globe.

April 29, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Rick

eric: what makes you think that man is "sinful" being?

April 29, 2012 at 10:24 am |
  17. tesla1908

Doesn't it say somewhere in the Bible that if you hear God's voice in your head to say "Go away, demon" because it isn't God's voice? Crazy people out there.

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  18. K. Green

I find it comical how many atheists take the time to post (angrily I might add) how there is no god. Do you think that if you say it enough it will be true? LOL

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Colin in Florida

And I assume that because you say it enough that there is a god?

April 29, 2012 at 10:23 am |
    • Rick

K. Green: As opposed to the Christians posting on and on about how there IS a god?

April 29, 2012 at 10:26 am |
    • Bobby

At least atheists have logical arguments to back it up. You nutjobs simply get defensive and make up magical excuses because you don't want to admit that you've wasted your lives on fairy tales.

April 29, 2012 at 10:28 am |
    • Chikkipop

Let's see; a significant part of our community thinks they hear voices from magical beings, and we're supposed to passively accept it?

Sorry, but we'll continue to say what we think of adults who should know better believing comforting stories like children.

"Angrily, I might add!"

April 29, 2012 at 10:30 am |
    • n8263

I see very few angry posts from atheists.

April 29, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • hmm

K. Green...yet somehow you know the "truth", right?
      No-one KNOWS anything.
      I'm not getting an "angry" vibe from these posts, either...just a condescending one from you.

April 29, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  19. Pelegrim

Ridiculous stuff. Grow up, people!

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
  20. norb

Scripture tells us that Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. It also tells us that the way that seems right to a man ends in death. The voices in our head are often (usually) the voice of the evil one trying to sound good. Look at the author of this article to see where she is coming from. She endorses Thomas Merton who introduced Hindu like meditation into (supposedly) Christian prayer. Stick to the scriptures!!!

April 29, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Pelegrim

What a load of shi#

April 29, 2012 at 10:20 am |
    • Veritas

Clinical case of mental decease.

April 29, 2012 at 10:24 am |
    • Colin in Florida

Absolutely, stick to those scriptures-100%. Speaking of that, my daughter will soon turn 18. Exodus 21:7 says that I may sell her as a slave, for life. What's a fair asking price these days?

April 29, 2012 at 10:33 am |
    • Raoul Duke, Jr.

Stick to the scriptures, eh? Do you have any children Norb? Were they or have they ever been disrepectful to you? If so, have you killed them? If not, you are a sinner, because god told you to kill them and you didn't. Don't believe me? Read your scripture...and stick to it.

Leviticus 20:9

For anyone who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death; he has cursed his father or his mother; his blood is upon him.

Oh, but that's the old testament you say. Well, let me ask you this: Have you ever prayed in public? If yes, again you are a sinner. Why, because your lord told you how to pray. Remember Matthew 6:6
      But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.
      It is jesus who supposedly said this. If you disobey this, you are sinning. So stick to the scripture, Norb. There are many examples of scripture that people choose to ignore. Ever eaten any shrimp or lobster Norb? Sin. Ever worked on the Sabbath (which, by the way, is Saturday, not Sunday under the scriptures). If so, sin. See what I mean? If not, then you are one of many who chant "scripture" "do what the bible says" etc., etc., and pick and choose only those parts which conveniently fit in their lifestyle or way of thinking. It's called hypocrisy.

April 29, 2012 at 10:40 am |
    • hmm

Memo: Satan isn't real. It's called mental illness and we stopped thinking mentally ill people were possessed 100's of years ago.

April 29, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • hmm

Oh noes! Not "hindu like meditation"!!! Who will think of the children???

April 29, 2012 at 10:53 am |