home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. GAW

What's odd about this issue is that if the average Christian claims to hear the voice of God those fellow believers around them will most likely feel uneasy or claim that's it's all in their mind. (Unless you're a Pentecostal) Evangelicals tell people they can have a 'personal relationship' with Jesus but somehow they don't mean what they say. Religious language can be very odd at times.

April 29, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • Voice of Reason

It is called delusional language.

April 29, 2012 at 10:56 am |
  2. confetti

Only thing as awful as a right wing Christian fanatic is a fanatical atheist. Spiritual illiterates all.

April 29, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • baloney

pryck

April 29, 2012 at 10:59 am |
    • phoenix224

In a recent poll atheists and agnostics scored higher then any other "religous" group when asked questions about religions. Atheists know your religion better then you do. For example I believe that Jesus Christ did not exist in the manner portrayed by religion becase he supposedly did things that are scientifically impossible and because he was based on gods like Horus who was born of a virgin, Isis. Only begotten son of the God Osiris. Birth heralded by the star Sirius, the morning star. Ancient Egyptians paraded a manger and child representing Horus through the streets at the time of the winter solstice (about DEC-21). In reality, he had no birth date; he was not a human. Death threat during infancy: Herut tried to have Horus murdered. Handling the threat: The God That tells Horus’ mother “Come, thou goddess Isis, hide thyself with thy child.” An angel tells Jesus’ father to: “Arise and take the young child and his mother and flee into Egypt.” Break in life history: No data between ages of 12 & 30. Age at baptism: 30. Subsequent fate of the baptiser: Beheaded. Walked on water, cast out demons, healed the sick, restored sight to the blind. Was crucifed, descended into Hell; resurrected after three days.

April 29, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  3. n8263

Karen should ask Santorum, Perry, Bachman and Cain what God sounds like.
    They all claim God personally asked them to run for President.
    If nothing else we know He has a sense of humor.

April 29, 2012 at 10:52 am |
    • jamesT297

Hee, Hee.

April 29, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • jamesT297

I don't care who you are, that's funny.

April 29, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  4. MV

The most important thing to realize: Those voices are all in your own head.

April 29, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  5. Paul

If you are Hindu, does your gods sound like the crowd at a Laker's game, or more like a choir?

Anyway, for those with one god, as long as they don't talk in movie theaters, Im ok with it.

April 29, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  6. HenryMiller

There's a word for the mental disorder where people hear phantom voices, but I can't think of it at the moment.

April 29, 2012 at 10:52 am |
  7. EatYouAlive

How quaint. 🙂

April 29, 2012 at 10:51 am |
  8. Joe

Religion is big $$$. Maybe I should start writing books that GOD talks to me. Hmmm.

April 29, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  9. that guy

come on we all know gods voice is Morgan Freeman jeeez...

April 29, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Elwood

I was going with George Burns but Morgan works good too.

April 29, 2012 at 11:04 am |
  10. Some guy

The reason you hear god, and the reason you hear him in whatever voice you've chosen, is because it's all in your head.

April 29, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  11. Joe

Sure... GOD is a "he". Because he needs male reproductive organs... to, um... yeah.

This woman, along with all religious people, is delusional and dangerous.

April 29, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • jamesT297

You do realize that women abuse themselves too, right?

April 29, 2012 at 10:50 am |
  12. Neutronstar

How can something talk that doesn't exist. What does Santa Claus sound like? Same thing.

April 29, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  13. Holly in CA

The biggest mistake religious people make today is believing God has been silenced, that he stopped communication with his children after the New Testament was written. God is still a God of miracles. He continues to speak to his children. He continues to answer prayers. Personal revelation is very real and it still exists today. Perhaps it's the noise of the world that causes us to not stop and listen to what he has to say.

April 29, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • jzme

Agreed. 🙂

April 29, 2012 at 11:07 am |
  14. LVD

God speaks to us through this word the Bible.

(2 Timothy 3:16) 16 All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness,

(Isaiah 48:17-19) . . .I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit [yourself], the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk. 18 O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments! Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea. 19 And your offspring would become just like the sand, and the descendants from your inward parts like the grains of it. One’s name would not be cut off or be annihilated from before me.”

Yes, if only the world would listen, then lives would be "then your peace would become just like a river," but instead man goes on thinking they can dominate themselves in this godless world. WE have had this "Word" or God speaking to us all along. But man chooses to continue in not listening. Give me a break Pee Wee Herman – detestable.

April 29, 2012 at 10:48 am |
    • Astra Navigo

My sister had an Imaginary Friend. She grew out of it. Being older than six does that to a person.

(Hint: The voices are in your head. Period....)

April 29, 2012 at 10:58 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

Exodus 21:7-11
      "When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment."

Leviticus 25:44-46
      "However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way."

Exodus 21:2-6
      "If you buy a Hebrew slave, he is to serve for only six years. Set him free in the seventh year, and he will owe you nothing for his freedom. If he was single when he became your slave and then married afterward, only he will go free in the seventh year. But if he was married before he became a slave, then his wife will be freed with him. If his master gave him a wife while he was a slave, and they had sons or daughters, then the man will be free in the seventh year, but his wife and children will still belong to his master. But the slave may plainly declare, 'I love my master, my wife, and my children. I would rather not go free.' If he does this, his master must present him before God. Then his master must take him to the door and publicly pierce his ear with an awl. After that, the slave will belong to his master forever."

If we're following sacred scripture, why are these dictates casually ignored today?

April 29, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  15. jamesT297

Many of us find it odd that folks still believe there is a god of any form.

April 29, 2012 at 10:48 am |
  16. joe

Why do these Gods always stay hidden only speaking through the mentally disturbed?

Hmmmm.

April 29, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  17. EddyL

Babe, you're nuts if you think god talks to you.

April 29, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  18. Fiona

The thought of "God" pontificating in that smug, saccharine Garrison Keillor voice sickens me. (Actually, it might explain why that man is still on the radio...I see no other explanation.). I've nearly caused an accident rushing to switch the channel when his show comes on. Nails-on-chalkboard. Pure torture.

Not being one to hear voices in my head or even believe in an omnipotent God, I can't say I have a God voice to share, but ai sure like the idea that the world was created by mice (Douglas Adams). Greedy, trivial, error-prone but industrious mice.

April 29, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  19. DocD

According to the first half of the ten commandments, Yahweh sounds like an insecure little whiner.

If you're hearing the voice of Yahweh, you need psychiatric help. Try turning off Fox "news" as a starter.

April 29, 2012 at 10:47 am |
  20. dreamer96

If you believe in God, and that he speaks to you, you need to ask the next question...Do you know the sound of the Devil's voice, he is the one that will try to temp you, he is the one that will lead you astray, you need to recognize his voice too...If he offers you what you want, fame, money, power, in exchange for doing his work...can you tell you are being temped?

April 29, 2012 at 10:46 am |