home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. gooddoctor

This article offends me greatly. Indeed, G od now has to "sound like" somebody from TV or the movies? Give me a break. This sort of writing needs to be put in the proper place – a trash barrel or landfill. Leave the writing to those that can. What a joke.

April 29, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  2. Raven

And how in Gods name is this NEWS. come on CNN get a grip, lately all I see on your pages is OLD news or editorials opinion pieces.

April 29, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  3. Voice of comfort

After losing my husband of 26 years to cancer, I could hear his voice clearly in some situations. Years of similar responses had programmed it into my head. As time pass, I begin to wonder how much of that voice has changed by my perception, perspective, and aging memory.

It doesn't surprize me that those raised in faith have the Words of God programmed into their head. =) But I suspect most know that a James Earl Jones voice of God is from their own perception...

I call it human, but if it brings you peace and comfort and harms no one you can call it God. =)

April 29, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Eman

That Is perfectly rational. But most times it's the irrational people who claim such events and try to influence others. Wish those people were more like you.

April 29, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  4. Don

Nothing. There is no god.

April 29, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • Chuck

Six Billion people beleive you are wrong

April 29, 2012 at 11:18 am |
    • a reasonable athiest

Belief does not define reality. Reality is. Belief is irrelevant.

April 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • AGuest9

Gee, Chuck. In that case, THEY MUST be right!

April 29, 2012 at 5:03 pm |
  5. JT

my God sounds like Morgan Freeman.

April 29, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • bannister

Wow, Hollywood has really brainwashed us, hasn't it....

April 29, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  6. jqent

Refer to Occam's Razor. People always have stories of "miracles" that some god has performed to help them, but completely and conveniently forget all the completely random accidents or even tragedies for which that god didn't do a thing– or, if they imagine their god to be omnipotent, which that god actually caused! A miracle is supposedly an event for which the laws of nature are set aside for the benefit of some person, cause or whatever. When I was a child, I was stirring ice cubes in two glasses of Kool-Aid. I stirred so hard in one glass that an ice cube popped out, soared through the air and landed neatly in the other glass. Miracle? Then whatever god was in charge must have had a very odd sense of priorities.

April 29, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  7. GAW

It is odd that Pee Wee 's picture is in there.

April 29, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • jqent

Well, maybe not so odd.

April 29, 2012 at 11:11 am |
  8. baloney

See, the thing about you religious zealots is that all of you fail to realize how many people have been slaughtered in wars and acts of terrorism all in the name of religion. If god is so kind and wonderful, why does he sit around on his backside and let us kill each other to make people worship him? Religion is one big pile of stinking dog mess.

April 29, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • Chuck

You argue that with the big guy on judgement day.

April 29, 2012 at 11:14 am |
    • Raven

If God didn't allow us free choice we would merely be robotic slaves and what would be the point of that.

For those who don't believe in a God or Gods, Take a piece of paper and write down in minute detail how we came into existence through evolution, can't be done...... It fails miserably at every step of the way.

April 29, 2012 at 11:15 am |
    • Raven

Obviously the Author of this never actually read the bible verse she quotes,
      the verse says "What have you done?" it does not say what in my name have you done now.

April 29, 2012 at 11:21 am |
    • Bo

How many wars can you name that were fought in the name of religion since the time of Christ not including the jews and Arabs?

April 29, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  9. Chandler

Please stick to real news and avoid gossip and option pieces. CNN is turning into convoluted crap.

April 29, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  10. jakedelano

So I'm a little confused, is this Lady really saying she actually hears voices or is this an elaborate metaphore? I'm a bit disturbed this is considered legitimate Journalism...We usually medicate those who claim to hear voices, not publish their nonsense. Its all well and good if you wanna belive in higher powers, but direct daily verbal communication and Response? Thats some warped wishfufillment, daddy issue desperation if I've ever seen it. Sorry to be so harsh I'm just truly upset this is just "normal" everyday news now...

April 29, 2012 at 11:09 am |
    • n8263

Santorum thought God asked him to run for President.

April 29, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  11. gooddoctor

Great. And now G od has to sound LIKE somebody we know? Please, do not attempt to tell me what G od "sounds" like. Just go tell it on the mountain, OK and leave me out of it. Clowns write articles too I see.

April 29, 2012 at 11:08 am |
  12. Cnn Morons

Now Cnn Morons, are wondering what god sounds like, well first Jesus never existed on Easter Sunday (thanks CNN), then the jewish religion, is not valid so kids shouldnot be taught it- (that's to make the christians feel good – after demaing christ – you see). Now is there any god at all- from the Cnn bunch- who pray to they're messiah Obama. You know who Obama is right? the guy that goes to church and shout 'god da.... America" for 20 years, that guy- our commander in chief.

April 29, 2012 at 11:08 am |
    • jqent

I see you have your won religion, which is "Hate Obama," and Sunday is your day to "testify." Yea, verily, Preach it, brother! Can we have an "Amen?" (crickets chirping)

April 29, 2012 at 11:15 am |
  13. Laura

Who was it who said...."If a man closes his eyes, clasps his hands, and speaks to an invisible god he is called religious. If a man closes his eyes, speaks into a vacuum cleaner hose, and speaks to an invisible god he is called crazy. Seems the only difference between the religious and crazy is a vacuum cleaner.".....?

April 29, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • baloney

LOL!!!

April 29, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  14. Sane Person

Religion is organized self delusion. Why CNN would spend time and space repeating this blather is beyond me.

April 29, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • richk

C'mon, you know why. They are the biggest "troll" on the block. They know this topic incites debate and division, thus keeping people arguing on the site more. More people here = more people to visit their sponsor links, etc..

April 29, 2012 at 11:10 am |
  15. JesusChristLordGodAlmighty

Children, listen to me, I have no voice because I don't exist. If you think there is a god, you are a mindless sheep looking for a reason for your existence. Religion has turned into a mechanism to control the masses. If I existed, would I have the world in such a mess?

April 29, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • richk

I would add that the mainstream religious concept of "god" is indeed bunk, but the idea of something outside of us which we simply cannot understand is not all that far-fetched. What is far-fetched are the claims by any religion to have possess "truth".

April 29, 2012 at 11:13 am |
  16. JazzY

Do not argue. We all know God is real and your faith in him helps protect everyone from tragedy.

April 29, 2012 at 11:06 am |
    • JesusChristLordGodAlmighty

Are you out of your damnn mind? Tragedy is happening every day.

April 29, 2012 at 11:07 am |
    • lolwut

I feel he protects us in the same way that my lucky rabbit's foot wards off gremlins.

April 29, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Don

And that's why so many tragedies happen. Thanks god, for doing f-all.

April 29, 2012 at 11:10 am |
    • Jazzy

But the survivors and living have real faith. You will see if you really look.

April 29, 2012 at 11:11 am |
    • jqent

Good one, but sarcasm too subtle for some to recognize.

April 29, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  17. alittlenuance

That's the great thing about God. His voice, just like his commandments, the doctrine he insists you follow, how he went about creating the world, the extent of his powers, and his morals or lack thereof are all equally products of someone's imagination and can be tailored to however you wish him to be.

That's the great thing about fantasy.

April 29, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  18. n8263

Faith is delusional.

April 29, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  19. mattinacan

..i like to picture my God playing lead guitar at a Leonard Skinner concert, and i'm in the front row, and i'm hammered drunk

April 29, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • jakedelano

Lol!

April 29, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  20. Acegirlshusband

I always thought he'd sound a bit like Morgan Freeman when and if he ever decides to talk to me.

April 29, 2012 at 11:04 am |