home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. Scott

Karen are you seriously asking me to believe that God speaks to you?

April 29, 2012 at 5:17 am |
    • Susie

he talks to me also and billions of other people. Maybe you are spiritually deaf or just dont want to hear what He has to say?

April 29, 2012 at 5:21 am |
    • Scott

I think it's much more likely you need medication. Considering we live in basically the same world since the evolution of Christianity, with the exact same social problems that have only progressed, It's pretty clear we aren't being talked to by a higher being. Maybe if people spent more time focusing on problems, instead of stroking their ego, by claiming they are talking to the creator of the Universe, our social problems would improve and not progressively get worse.

April 29, 2012 at 5:27 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

Hey Susie, is Peter Keller in Washington state one of your billion? How many guns do you have in your bunker? WWJD is hoping to see a lot of people burn, it makes him happy. Is that a kick for you? or does WWJD hear different voices? If the voices are different, is it the same GOD quarterbacking?

April 29, 2012 at 5:34 am |
    • Susie

Actually, no I don't. I am pretty sane, as a psychology student I have taken numerous assessments that show I am psychologically average. In fact research shows that religious people are much better adjusted than those who refuse to believe. I did my dissertation on religious beliefs and coping skills. Is dismissing other people's experiences as insanity how you explain everything you can't understand? No wonder you are blind and deaf.

April 29, 2012 at 5:35 am |
    • Susie

I believe– Ah another person who can't cope with people who may know something you don't. I know it is difficult being the odd man out, but God is waiting, just seek Him with your whole heart.

April 29, 2012 at 5:37 am |
    • Susie

By the way Scott, if you read the Bible you will see that social problems will never be solved, because man is sinful, and can not fix the world.

April 29, 2012 at 5:38 am |
    • Scott

I know I shouldn't but here it goes, and I apologize for any rude comments my question my generate.

"man is sinful, and can not fix the world"...... Susie if you are telling me that the creator of the universe is talking to our children and giving them this message then you seriously need help.

April 29, 2012 at 5:49 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

>>because man is sinful, and can not fix the world<<

The kind of christian psychologist the world needs, no work responsibility or goals.

So you are pretty normal on your self testing?

A degree from Liberty Univeristy, Lynchburg, VA? Or from Regent University, Virginia Beach, VA.
      How about anywhere in Virginia? Oral Roberts University, in Tulsa, OK? California?

April 29, 2012 at 5:49 am |
    • lolzz

Yes Susie, WWJD says we're all going to burn. Does that sound like God to you? Please see a psychiatrist – get some meds before you end up on the front page of CNN because "God told you to drown your kids".

April 29, 2012 at 9:32 am |
    • Paul

Please cite the research that shows that religious people are "religious people are much better adjusted than those who refuse to believe."

April 29, 2012 at 9:59 am |
    • ADX

I seriously doubt that "billions" of people hear voices in their heads that they associate with some outside influence. I work in mental health, and I've met a few who do. Of those, God told one to steal a car and go to Minnesota to receive divine blessings (stopped by police on the way); another was "told" to spend all her money on a plane ticket as there was a grant waiting for her in another state to go to college with (there wasn't, and she had to call relatives to rescue her); another was told to cut himself; another was told to harm people (but only avoided doing this because he called police and was put inpatient).

If you experience commands with the voices you hear, you are ill enough to see a counselor. If all you hear is running commentary, you would probably benefit from medication. If it's uncommon for you but happens occasionally, I'd give you the benefit of the doubt (depending on what you are hearing), but likely I'd avoid hanging out with you.

PS I'm Christian.

April 29, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • OmniVI

I just hope Susie doesn't live in my town. Seriously get some help. There is no god...adjust to that.

April 29, 2012 at 1:29 pm |
    • cc

Susie really? really Susie? You expect me to believe that. You should seriously seek help. If you hear someone else voice then your own voice, you have an issue. I love how you say you're a student but ignore everything you should have learned. But god did everything so you're ready for your exams.

April 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm |
    • Archibald

Susie, I'm honestly concerned about your mental health. I'm not saying this to be mean, or to undermine your point, but if you're hearing voices you need to seek help.

April 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Susie

You all make me laugh. and they say tha religious people are close minded...go do your own research, its called google scholar and its free. By the way religious people are also happier, and more generous than the non-religious.

April 29, 2012 at 7:15 pm |
  2. afreeman

This is ridiculous. I FULLY believe in a creator and spiritual reality, but I think the GREAT creator, not the various imposters (Including the dieties of JEws, Muslims and Christians) who have fun watching us kill each other over theological syntax disagreements, has MUCH better things to do than have personal conversations with any of us, dumb blondes included. There is a reason that phrase, "You must be as children" (paraphrased) is in the bible... because you really would have to be a child lacking wisdom and critical thought to believe the ridiculous books of the Abrahamaic faiths, and you'd have to ba an even bigger fool to think they are the last word in spiritual truth.

April 29, 2012 at 5:16 am |
    • WWJD

Jesus is the only way.

April 29, 2012 at 5:18 am |
    • Steven Brooks

@WWJD To what? Hatred?

April 29, 2012 at 5:19 am |
    • Susie

Of course we should all listen to you cause you know everything!! I think I will stick with the experts and the Voice of God.

April 29, 2012 at 5:23 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

WWJD knows the way, because WWJD is Jesus.

April 29, 2012 at 5:28 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

actually Susie, WWJD knows everything, he is the one you want to meet. Have you two bred? Then your kids would know everything. Think of the bunker and guns you two could have together. Listening to voices while you clean your guns and make bullets. Snake handling to prove your faith in the afternoon in the dead of winter with pretty white snow proving your purity.

April 29, 2012 at 5:41 am |
    • Susie

I know you think you are cute. But you are only making a fool of yourself. Go ask your mommy for another bag of cheetos.

April 29, 2012 at 5:48 am |
    • Paul

WWJD: I never heard of a street called "Jesus." What state is it in?

April 29, 2012 at 10:01 am |
  3. FunkyMonkey

Based on the pictures at the top of the article, I thought they were going to say God possibly sounds like PeeWee Herman

April 29, 2012 at 5:15 am |
  4. I LOVE TOILET PAPER

April 29, 2012 at 5:15 am |
    • KimbyDI

Awesome! Loved it...thanks for sharing!

April 29, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  5. Susie

Sorry everyone knows that God sound like Lloyd Oglivy who used to be on TV Sunday mornings and was the chaplain to the House of Representatives. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFPo6yEklJw

April 29, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • Susie

Oops, my bad he spells his name Lloyd Ogilvie, and was the Chaplain of the U.S. Senate

April 29, 2012 at 5:14 am |
    • Jason

Sure he doesn't sound more like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8KTFQ23CWY

April 29, 2012 at 5:51 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

Does he have a salary paid for by taxpayer money?

April 29, 2012 at 6:02 am |
  6. I LOVE TOILET PAPER

Jesus echoed back some strange noises from my toilet this morning. His voice sounded sloppy and muddy.

April 29, 2012 at 5:12 am |
  7. McGuire Brannon

Yoda is not from "Star Trek"; he is from the "Star Wars" franchise.

April 29, 2012 at 5:11 am |
    • I LOVE TOILET PAPER

I bet you aren't the only dungeons and dragons nerd to complain about this.

April 29, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • Jason

Someone didn't look too close at the website she was quoting. How much to do you want to bet if she reads your comment, she'd be thinking something like, "Good Gracious. Star Trek. Star Wars. Spock, Yoda, whatever. Honestly, who cares? They both have "Star" in the name. The point is: I'm trying to make the Word of God more accessible to you cretins. If you spent more time reading your Bible instead of watching that abominable science fiction, your life would be more joyous and uplifting. Like mine."

Yep. I hear a voice in my head, too. Its saying, "Nice try, but no banana, sweetness. The Devil is indeed in the details. Try again."

April 29, 2012 at 5:25 am |
    • Jason

@ I LOVE TOILET PAPER
      Smite Evil on you. I sayeth unto you: I shall replace all your toilet paper holders with bidets, so that you may know cleanliness of the briefs, and leave skid marks no more.

April 29, 2012 at 5:38 am |
    • lolzz

Did God tell you this? Better check with WWJD just to be sure!

April 29, 2012 at 9:34 am |
  8. Food Insurance

I dont know why but when HE speaks to me HE sound exactly of Glen Beck

April 29, 2012 at 5:08 am |
  9. ready

This site is becoming more garbage by the day. Really i'm going to have to go to foxnews.com or the huffpost for sensible reading?

April 29, 2012 at 5:05 am |
  10. Steven Brooks

Silence.

April 29, 2012 at 5:05 am |
  11. Andrew

It's funny how when god speaks to these people, he always tells them things that they want to hear.

April 29, 2012 at 5:04 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

could be the only friend they got

April 29, 2012 at 5:08 am |
    • Susie

Not true but I can see you are jealous. Seek the Lord with all your heart and you will find Him!!

April 29, 2012 at 5:16 am |
    • Susie

Not true, but I can see you are jealous. Seek the Lord with all your heart and you will find Him!!

April 29, 2012 at 5:18 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

So Susie, glad to hear you have some friends. Do your friends all hear the same voice at the same time, or do you hear different voices and compare notes?

April 29, 2012 at 5:20 am |
    • Susie

Why dont you come on over to church as see?

April 29, 2012 at 5:24 am |
    • Jason

@Susie- The moment God removes his protection so we don't burst into flames the moment we cross the threshold, we'd be happy to come on over. What did you say the name of your church is?

April 29, 2012 at 5:45 am |
    • Susie

Church on the Way in Van Nuys CA. You are welcome anytime and no God wont make you explode. He loves you and wants you to come home.

April 29, 2012 at 5:50 am |
    • lolzz

Yes your tax-free haven is there to host non-believers, who are doomed to "burn" otherwise. Sounds like a nice god to me. The real God won't burn anyone. Bloody christians.

April 29, 2012 at 9:36 am |
  12. Garett

Why is this front page news? This article is a waste of time, even for the religious idiots out there.

April 29, 2012 at 5:03 am |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

Are you kidding? Religious people spend thousands of hours of their lives mumbling to themselves, reciting ancient prose they don't even understand, and praying to someone they have no evidence even exists.

Nothing is a waste of time for these people.

April 29, 2012 at 5:20 am |
  13. sywardus

God's voice is Yang Nepenthe. Like James Earl jones but with a tone of absolute kindness! :)That's my vote!

April 29, 2012 at 5:03 am |
  14. WWJD

Faith in science is religion

April 29, 2012 at 5:02 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Faith is believing without evidence. Science does not require faith because it provides evidence. You really are a dolt!!

April 29, 2012 at 5:11 am |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

Wrong. You can have faith in science because you've studied science, and repeated the experiments which are the basis of scientific laws.

You don't have to trust anyone. Take a science class, go into the lab, and repeat the experiments for yourself.

Later, once you've learned the basics, and where you can go for reliable scientific information, you might choose to start trusting scientists, for the reason that it's easier than continuing to do the experiments yourself. But, that's not necessary. You always have the option to verify it for yourself.

Totally different from religion. In religion, you have no option to ever verify any of the myths you're asked to accept. It's 100% faith, and to ever question whether the dogma is valid is often considered blasphemous.

In science, it's completely encouraged to challenge prevailing wisdom, and see if you can disprove it with experiments of your own. In order to get work published and accepted, you actually have to subject it to a bunch of skeptics trying to disprove your findings.

Got it?

April 29, 2012 at 5:15 am |
    • WWJD

God provides evidence of His creation through science.

April 29, 2012 at 5:16 am |
    • Susie

Please tell me the experiments I can do to prove that evolution is how we got here.

April 29, 2012 at 5:19 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

WWJD: Your god is imaginary and you can't provide the evidence to state otherwise, get over yourself...you are a hypocritical dolt! Nothing about the universe points to a god. When you understand why you dismiss all other gods, you'll understand why we dismiss yours.

Nate: Faith once again is defined as believing without evidence and people don't usually believe in science without evidence, this no people do not have faith in science. We have a belief in science because it does provide evidence.

April 29, 2012 at 5:22 am |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

Susie,

You can actually observe evolution occur in real time in some species. Take bacteria into the lab and watch them over time in a petri dish. You can expose them to new conditions and actually witness evolution. It doesn't take thousands or millions of years. So, we know that evolution is a valid phenomenon. That's the first step.

Now, to see evolution in other species, you can do things like dig up fossils, and compare the progression of a species. Techniques like radio carbon dating and soil analysis let you determine how old the fossils you dig up are.

We have extensive fossil records of humans over millions of years. I know religious people will always retort that there are missing links, but new fossils are found all the time. Just in the last twenty years, a couple major "gaps" in the human fossil record have been filled with excellent archeological finds.

But, the fossil record is not even necessary to see that evolution is happening. It's only a supporting line of evidence. As species evolve, you see small divergences in their DNA. Each mutation can cause the genetic fingerprint of a species to diverge, or branch slightly. You can see a tree of patterns in the DNA. Just like a normal tree branches further and further from its trunk, you can trace current species back to common ancestors by looking at DNA.

You can see DNA under the microscope, and the beauty is that you can do it with animals that aren't even alive.

Now, doing all of this does require some work on your part. You have to study science (as I did at two of the top 5 science universities in the country). Then you have to do the experiments.

I know it's easier to just go to church on Sunday and regurgitate what your preacher tells you. But, that doesn't make your mythology any more true.

April 29, 2012 at 5:35 am |
    • Susie

So you are saying I can observe that evolution occurred because some bacteria in a dish go through changes. I think my friend that you are taking a giant leap of faith LOL. I can go to church and see how God changes lives but I bet you wont accept that as proof of a creator God.

April 29, 2012 at 5:41 am |
    • Susie

By the way I have 24 units of graduate and undergraduate biology. I have a MA in psychology and am working on my doctorate. So thanks for letting me know I need to go to school. I think you need to go back and read about the scientific method and what level of evidence in needed to support a hypothesis. I will give you a clue though, evolutionary theory does not meet the criteria..

April 29, 2012 at 5:47 am |
    • Nate (Seattle, WA)

Susie,

Did you read my whole post, or just tune out when you got to a big word you didn't understand.

I'm pretty sure I clearly stated that observing bacteria evolve (which is not the same thing as simply "changing", as you put it) is just the first step.

That's how science works. You arrive at complex conclusions by taking many, many little steps. You have to prove your work at every step, and perform experiments at each step. Most scientists work their whole careers in teams that only get through a couple steps. You publish your results at each step, and other teams can pick up your work from there.

No, Darwin's evolution by natural selection was most certainly not based upon merely seeing some bacteria change in a petri dish, and leaping directly to humans and apes having common ancestors.

Sorry, but I can't put all of evolutionary biology into a couple hundred words.

I know that's not satisfying to you. Religion really can be summarized in only these words: "God's all-powerful and he did it". It's a really nice ideology for someone who's either lazy, or not bright enough to keep up with the complexity involved in science.

But, just because you can't (or won't) do the work, doesn't mean there aren't those of us who can, and do. And again, faith is not required.

April 29, 2012 at 5:50 am |
    • Susie

and apparently you cant seem to understand that you can not prove how we came to be here, You will never be able to go back and observe the creation of the world so..all your many words about seeing bacteria change and so on is meaningless. that being said there is not evidence to even support the notion of evolution over creation.

April 29, 2012 at 5:57 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Susie: You can't prove anything yourself and yes evolution proves more than your small mind comprehends within an astounding accuracy rate...we have fossils that provide the evidence! Supporting creation means supporting in.cest...so you think in.cest in okay? Think about it, 2 people to populate the earth...how the hell do you propose the others were created? Do you even if your beliefs are true or are you simply off your meds?

April 29, 2012 at 6:03 am |
    • lolzz

Susie and WWJD are the same person. Also, church collects your money. It goes to the head of the church that drives their own purchased limo, takes vacations, hires escorts and snorts cocaine. In the name of god? Right. Push off and put the pipe down will you? Bloody Christians.

April 29, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Paul

Faith in science? You really don't understand science. It's a methodology for determining a reasonably accurate explanation of reality. Religion is blind faith in predetermined explanations of reality. Religion is the ultimate example of magical thinking. And magical thinking never increased the food supply, saved people from smallpox and other terrible diseases, or contributed to any of the things that have advanced us to where we now are.

April 29, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • god dont throw dice

It is hypocritical at best to disclaim evolution, and then get into your car, turn on your gps (which would be impossible if not for special and general relativity), and pick your favorite song on your ipod (impossible without quantum mechanics). Science is what gives us all the technology you use daily. You can thank scientists at CERN for the internet you're using right now.

Its unbelievably ignorant to only use science only when it is convenient, and to then shun its other ideas without proper study of them. Evolution isn't some fairy tail that has been passed down amongst generations of atheists, there was a real scientific paper published about it (shocking I know!).

Either read it or live like the Amish. They may be dumb, but at least they're not gigantic hypocrites.

April 29, 2012 at 11:04 am |
    • cc

Susie they are called fossils. They are millions of years old. No wait you like jesus. They are exactly 6000 years old!

April 29, 2012 at 2:00 pm |
    • cc

Susie you are exactly what is wrong with the world. I hope for your sake that one day you realize you have been fed lies and keep propagating those same lies.

April 29, 2012 at 2:07 pm |
  15. Ashrakay

My favorite quote from this article: "Obviously, this study doesn't prove the nonexistence of God. But it poses a challenge to believers: If God exists, and if believing in God is perfectly rational, then why does increasing rational thinking tend to decrease belief in God?"

April 29, 2012 at 4:54 am |
    • WWJD

Science websites do bias studies and can't be trusted becaus they are atheist,

April 29, 2012 at 5:01 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

WWJD earlier you said GOD created science, and now you are saying science cannot be trusted.

What happens if Jesus, God, and atheists cannot be trusted? What Would Jack@ss Do?

April 29, 2012 at 5:07 am |
    • WWJD

People that discredit the Lord are obviously of the devil and can not be trusted so they right bias stories. But real science is from God.

April 29, 2012 at 5:11 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

WWJD: People who don't believe in your god, don't believe in your satan! What an uneducated, brainwashed moron you are!

April 29, 2012 at 5:13 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

WWJD, I think you bring discredit to Lord Jesus. Could make you the devil's love child. What are you going to do to fix your evil course in life that is opposed to GOD's GOOD? Judas committed suicide, don't do that.

April 29, 2012 at 5:26 am |
    • Susie

I have met God and know him and so have numerous people other people I have talked to so my rational thought is telling me to go with what I know is true. I dont have to prove God exists to you. That is up to Him. In the mean time I will continue to act accordingly.

April 29, 2012 at 5:28 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Susie: To state you have met god makes one question your sanity and yes, if you make the claim that god exists then the burden of proof lies on you to prove his existence. It is no different than someone claiming unicorns or leprechauns exist. Your comment borders on delusional...in the real world (not the one you live in) it is called schizophrenia!

April 29, 2012 at 5:43 am |
    • Susie

You can question anything you want, however, religious belief is not a sign of insanity nor is it considered so by the experts in human behavior. Go ask the APA, which has a division to study spirituality. So I guess you two cents worth doesn't really mean much in light of expert opinion

April 29, 2012 at 5:53 am |
    • I Believe everything I am told

>religious belief is not a sign of insanity < -Suzy the Psychic, March 29, 2012

I guess acting on it can be the dividing line, ask Andrea Yates.
      They are planning to let her out of the loony bin on Sundays so she can go to a local church.

April 29, 2012 at 6:11 am |
    • rochdoc

The study is as biased as it can get and it was constructed to make believers appear less intelligent. From what I remember, in the second stage of study, they "pushed" the subjects to be "critical". Being critical or doubtful is not exactly the same as "analytical" and having superior brain power. Apostle Thomas was analytical and rational. He wanted to touch and believe. The realm of faith is of course beyond what you can touch or feel.

April 29, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  16. RBSG

What's truly scary is that these people vote.

April 29, 2012 at 4:46 am |
    • Susie

What is scary is that you vote and are in the palm of Satan's hand Sazd that you dont even know it.

April 29, 2012 at 5:29 am |
    • Susie

What is scary is that you vote and are in the palm of Satan's hand. Sad that you don't even know it.

April 29, 2012 at 5:29 am |
    • lolzz

Vote? They're running for presidency!

April 29, 2012 at 9:41 am |
    • cc

Susie it's sad that you believe in fictional characters. Get over it.

April 29, 2012 at 2:09 pm |
    • rochdoc

Yea you can limit our voting rights when you become president.
      So much for the Athiest morality and sense of fairness! They keep on saying they will be living by moral standards even if there was no religion. All I see is that a tendency to go into a moral standard compatible with nazi germany or Stalin regime.
      They have no idea what they are talking about, no idea how the universe came into being, how universal laws came into being or how self searching organisms like Humans came into being, but know pretty well that Christianity is just plain bad. Everything else is good. God help us!
      When you take America to ruin completely we will remind you what went wrong.

April 29, 2012 at 8:40 pm |
  17. NoodleHead Productions

Note to Author: Yoda is NOT from Star Trek, he is from Star Wars!

April 29, 2012 at 4:44 am |
    • Ashrakay

Right. What do these people care about facts?

April 29, 2012 at 4:57 am |
  18. I Believe everything I am told

I am an agnostic, I will pass on this one. Next round let's see if I can put a fork into it.

April 29, 2012 at 4:44 am |
  19. domal

I think there is a difference between walking with God and walking with one's own imagination. The first is a reality, the second is an ideal. The first always is going to be, no matter what I think or how I am, the second one, is shaped based off my ideas and my perceptions despite what reality might be. It is no wonder that people say religion is made up by man, because in some cases it is. A creation of someones imagination, but that doesn't imply or prove that there is no God, just that people can be resourceful in developing methods for copping with the hardships of life. I think in many ways people who don't know God make create their own God, much like the creation of an imaginary friend. The imaginary friend, likes what they like, sees things the same way, has a certain voice, etc. contrary to reality God is his own deity with his own personality and unique behavior.
    What does God's voice sound like? Utter truth, absolute freedom, life, the power to preform.

April 29, 2012 at 4:44 am |
    • jesus christ

implying theres a god.

April 29, 2012 at 4:46 am |
    • TruthPrevails :-)

Religion and your god are made up by man to control man. Educate yourself in reality, not a book written by 40 sheep herding men over the course of 400 years. This is the 21st century where updated evidence has been provided, unlike the buybull that was written 2000 years ago and has never changed to fit the evidence.

April 29, 2012 at 5:17 am |
    • rochdoc

Truth? prevails?
      Truth prevailed for 2000 years. Your lies and repeated allegations and a deceiving psudonym cannot make it go away. If you really don't care about the belief anyway why do you care about the goat herders? Do you think you would have been in the continent of America and doing web blogging if the history did not happen the way it did? You possibly would have been running around with your body all painted..

April 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm |
  20. Lone

These kinds of topics are a distraction and a detraction from faith. Get on the wagon with Perry Stone talking about the Bermuda Triangle (and similar areas) being gateways to hell. Valueless, if not hurtful, conjecture.

April 29, 2012 at 4:43 am |