home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. lakepoinsett

Well, God spoke to me last night! And she is not happy with everything that is going on in this little world of ours! Nope, she is not happy at all!

April 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  2. Dean

Schizophrenia

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to:
    Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences
    Think logically
    Have normal emotional responses,
    Behave normally in social situations

Hope this definition helps you to deal with your delusions

April 29, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • Ryan

You know, your description is why I am anti-psychiatry.

Not only that it is dangerous, and a scam, but it is also makes people like you a hypocrite. Especially when I hear "Religion is a mental disease".

There is no medical science for mental health, nor that there is any sense.

And no I am not a scientologist, and if you want to back on me, use something more intelligible than "Scientologist", "ignorant", or "brainwashed", because that argument does not explain the "truth" of psychiatry.

April 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Josef Bleaux

Well said, Dean. But it won't change anyone's minds, they'll still wallow in their fantasy world, oblivious to reality.

April 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
    • Dean

For Ryan,

Persecution complex:

The central belief of every moron is that he is the victim of a mysterious conspiracy against his common rights and true deserts. He ascribes all his failure to get on in the world, all of his congenital incapacity and damfoolishness, to the machinations of werewolves assembled in Wall Street, or some other such den of infamy
      —H.L. Mencken[1

Get over yourself

April 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Voice of Reason

@Ryan said:
      "You know, your description is why I am anti-psychiatry."

You are one lost individual aren't you? You have all these distorted thoughts of the world and the reality of existence. Seek some help either via the emergency ward or first thing in the morning please.

April 29, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
    • Ryan

@Dean

So you only quoted a phrase, on how it pretty much explains how people are "worthless", good deal. Still doesn't give any proof of psychiatry. In fact, doctors would increase your milligrams on the medicine from 50 to 300 milligrams within 3 months, which is pretty dangerous.

@Voice of Reason:

Haha, you make me laugh. You don't have anything to go against me. Get over yourself.

April 29, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Dean

Ryan,

At no time did I say people are worthless. Quite the contrary. I believe that every individual is special beyond words and that is one of the reasons I speak out against religion. This article is a clear indictment of the author's ability to think for herself. Religion (almost always) teaches that we must surrender our critical faculties in order to receive favour from the sky daddy. The delusion is so apparent that I wanted to help her on her road to recovery by helping her identify the root cause.

As for you my friend, you may want to overcome your aversion to psychiatry because it is apparent you need some help of your own. Speak to some one (professional or other wise), at the end of the day, I am sure those lucky enough to be around you will thank you for seeking attention.

Peace

April 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • Ryan

@Dean

Whatever you say. Instead of phrasing from a journalist, put some logics into it.

And as for "Get some help because you think Psychiatry is false", I find it weird because you're throwing it against someone as if you were religious and if I were an Atheist. So, yeah.

Peace.

April 29, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Dean

I did not say seek help because you are against psychiatry, I suggested you seek help because you are clearly unstable. Need proof? Re read your responses to me (and others) and ask your self if these are the responses of a rational person. You make no sense. It is obvious. You should seek help.

You are now boring.

April 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • Ryan

@Dean

So what I am seeing, is that I should seek help because I was anti-psychiatry, and now go for something else, saying that I am unstable by saying psychiatry is a fraud?

"You are now boring"

At that point that is where I believe you're a troll. Good day, sir.

April 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  3. ed-words

God who?

April 29, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  4. AlabamaSkeptic

Why does CNN keep posting these ridiculous articles?

April 29, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • jamesT297

They are trying to draw eyeballs away from FoxNews.

April 29, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Josef Bleaux

Yeah, I guess they're trying to draw in some of the low IQ Fox readers so they print ignorant nonsense that they know will attract them.

April 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
    • JE

Because people have believed in God for thousands of years. We don't like talking about it or investigating why. It's easy to say "they are all delusional" but people have actually had spiritual experiences. Just saying it's delusional is like saying that the belief that there is a universe beyond what we can see with the naked eye or with telescopes is delusional.

Think.

Here's a novel idea: instead of mocking, give it a try for a set period (a month?). Read the Bible, read stuff by intelligent Christian authors (C.S. Lewis, Ravi Zacharias), pray (even though you don't believe). See what happens. If nothing, the experiment ends.

April 29, 2012 at 12:22 pm |
  5. Bob

"God" speaks to you? Friends don't let friends speak drunk.

April 29, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • jamesT297

Good one. RAOTFLMFAO.

April 29, 2012 at 11:56 am |
  6. Ryan

I am a Deist. I believe that we've been created, and with scientific terms. I am sort of a mix of buddhism and spinozism. I don't worry about religion, unless people fight for it.

It goes for both religious people, and atheists. If you believe in your religion, do not fight for it. It would go into bad terms. Same for Atheists. In fact, don't act like all "wars" involve religion, because I know very many infamous figures who were atheists, and would slaughter those who would believe in religion as well. (I.E: Joseph Stalin)

There is no scientific evidence for God, and there is no scientific evidence for no god.

Nor that there are theory's to disprove it. Evolution, does not explain how we're created, it explains how we adapt.

Do NOT fight for religion, keep your beliefs in your zone, not others.

April 29, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • Reality

Think infinity and recycling with the Big Bang expansion followed by the shrinking reversal called the Gib Gnab and recycling back to the Big Bang repeating the process on and on forever. Human life and Earth are simply a minute part of this chaotic, stochastic, expanding, shrinking process disappearing in five billion years with the burn out of the Sun and maybe returning in another five billion years with different life forms but still subject to the va-garies of its local star.

April 29, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Ryan

@Reality

That did not make any sense. Could you rephrase that for me, with more specific sense?

April 29, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
    • Josef Bleaux

I believe in something similar to your Spinozism/Buddhism. But unfortunately, religious fanatics (fundies, evangelicals, etc.) want to pass laws to force you to behave according to their standards. They want to indoctrinate your children into their beliefs in the public schools. They must be opposed at every opportunity. As for being "created", to me, life is just a natural property of the Universe. Atoms, molecules, energy, etc. all behave according to the natural laws of the Universe and when combined in a specific way, life just naturally forms. Remember that Spinoza believed that there was a "life energy" underlying the Universe. So I guess in a sense, the Universe is a living thing. Not intelligent. But possessing a life energy.

Carl Sagan once said, "Perhaps the Universe evolved intelligent life in order to observe itself."

April 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
    • Ryan

@Josef

Yeah I get your idea. Anything can intervene by belief. It goes for everyone. As much as people fight for it, it'll be pretty dangerous. When I see a religious person throws it out on someone who believes differently, I get stressed out. Same for Atheists for when they throw it out on religion. It is better to believe for what you believe in, than to believe for other people.

And yeah, the universe is a strange place. We've existed for a while, and we still don't know what is the meaning of life, nor that we know about the universe. There may be a purpose, but I believe the universe is more than just a sanctuary of matter. As you've said, it can be alive. Perhaps one of those days, we can find out the truth.

April 29, 2012 at 12:15 pm |
    • ed-words

Communism was dogmatic, like religion, and was condemned by leading atheists like B. Russell.

'Free'thinkers do not force their beliefs on others. (What's with Henry?)

April 29, 2012 at 1:45 pm |
    • Reality

o "In the 1930s, theoretical physicists, most notably Albert Einstein, considered the possibility of a cyclic model for the universe as an (everlasting) alternative to the model of an expanding universe. However, work by Richard C. Tolman in 1934 showed that these early attempts failed because of the entropy problem: according to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, entropy can only increase.[1] This implies that successive cycles grow longer and larger. Extrapolating back in time, cycles before the present one become shorter and smaller culminating again in a Big Bang and thus not replacing it. This puzzling situation remained for many decades until the early 21st century when the recently discovered dark energy component provided new hope for a consistent cyclic cosmology.[2] In 2011, a five-year survey of 200,000 galaxies and spanning 7 billion years of cosmic time confirmed that "dark energy is driving our universe apart at accelerating speeds."[3][4]

One new cyclic model is a brane cosmology model of the creation of the universe, derived from the earlier ekpyrotic model. It was proposed in 2001 by Paul Steinhardt of Princeton University and Neil Turok of Cambridge University. The theory describes a universe exploding into existence not just once, but repeatedly over time.[5][6] The theory could potentially explain why a mysterious repulsive form of energy known as the "cosmological constant", and which is accelerating the expansion of the universe, is several orders of magnitude smaller than predicted by the standard Big Bang model."

A different cyclic model relying on the notion of phantom energy was proposed in 2007 by Lauris Baum and Paul Frampton of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.[7]"

April 29, 2012 at 2:49 pm |
    • AGuest9

Also, the work done and the model proposed by Roger Penrose in "Cycles of Time".

May 11, 2012 at 7:29 am |
  7. JPaul

Since the creation includes the creation of time, it makes no sense to ask, "Who created the Creator?" You are asking what happened before there was time, and that is beyond our time bound ability to comprehend. But the fact that we can't comprehend something fully doesn't mean it isn't real. Science is full of phenomena that we don't fully understand, but we don't then say they are not real. The incredible complexity of life is more than sufficient evidence to demonstrate God's existence, and we shouldn't be surprised that we can't understand everything about Him. Yet He has revealed what we need to know in the Scriptures. Read them and find out.

April 29, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Voice of Reason

"The incredible complexity of life is more than sufficient evidence to demonstrate God's existence"

Really? How so?

April 29, 2012 at 11:58 am |
    • kenchandammit

The "incredible complexity of life" is evidence of the sheer randomness of it.

April 29, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
    • Josef Bleaux

So, an ancient book of mythology, written thousands of years ago by members of a primitive culture, can teach you about the Universe better than science? HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. Yeah, right. Whatever.

April 29, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
    • cybercmdr

Ah, the God in the gaps model. Go back the school and learn some science. You'll find those gaps are not as big as you think.

April 29, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
    • ed-words

If that is your God "revealed' in the Scriptures, you need to find another one.

April 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm |
    • JPaul

O.K., I'll be more specific. There are 30 trillion cells in your body and each one contains more information than a typical library of books. And that is just humans, not counting the rest of life on the planet. There is not nearly enough time even in the evolutionary timeframe to have enough generations of living beings to produce that amount of information. In fact, evolution has never been shown to produce any information, only lose it when certain genetic possibilities die off in a population. So, the logical conclusion is that the information was there at the beginning. That's what Genesis says – God put the information there at the beginning.

April 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  8. jamesT297

OK. This is a one-time offer for those reading today's CNN story on god and voices and christianity stuff:

Some brief instruction as to how god failed in his business because of where and when he opened his business:
    God started his business in the middle of the world’s largest desert – among a group of illiterate and wandering tribes. God did this in spite of the fact that there were much larger civilizations already thriving in India and China. In both India and China, there were already very large cities and the civilization was already mostly literate in that the populations could read and write.
    If god had launched his business in either of these two cultures, he would have gained a much larger global market share and obtained an insurmountable market share vs. Islam as an example. As it is, Islam started +/- 700 years AFTER Christianity and has now overtaken Christianity in global market share. Islam remains the fasted growing organized religious strain in the world. (Atheism, however is the fasted growing segment of the overall religious business landscape). So, not only did god blow a 700 year head-start, he also arranged for the mur_der of his one and only forever son in middle of the same desert and among the same group of illiterate wandering goat herders for crying out loud. That was a huge mistake on top of the earlier huge mistakes and meant that god sacrificed his Return On Investment (ROI) and eventual market share dominance by this very short-sighted set of decisions. Look where his business is today. It is losing customers faster than it can replace them by acquiring new ones; the business is in disrepute among many of its long-time customers; it is losing actual raw numbers of customers in some parts of the world where it used to be the only option; its customers are being mur_dered in many other parts of the world for simply being his customers – it’s a real mess. So, I’d suggest anyone starting a similar new business avoid these mistakes so that the mur_der you planned for your only son and then performed so that you could later use as a recruiting tool/story might actually produce a higher ROI for you than it did for god.

April 29, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • J

God created the world and the people of the world. Are you saying that Indians predated mankind? =>

April 29, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • J

Abraham....the father of the Jewish people and Muslims....

Isaac/Ishmael?

April 29, 2012 at 12:06 pm |
  9. decredico

Hahahahaha...god....hahahahaha...what funking morons here...

April 29, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  10. Reality

HEAR YE ! HEAR YE ! HEAR YE ! said the gods of rational thinking:

ONLY FOR THE NEWCOMERS

The Apostles' Creed 2011: (updated by yours truly based on the studies of NT historians and theologians of the past 200 years)

Should I believe in a god whose existence cannot be proven
    and said god if he/she/it exists resides in an unproven,
    human-created, spirit state of bliss called heaven?????

I believe there was a 1st century CE, Jewish, simple,
    preacher-man who was conceived by a Jewish carpenter
    named Joseph living in Nazareth and born of a young Jewish
    girl named Mary. (Some say he was a mamzer.)

Jesus was summarily crucified for being a temple rabble-rouser by
    the Roman troops in Jerusalem serving under Pontius Pilate,

He was buried in an unmarked grave and still lies
    a-mouldering in the ground somewhere outside of
    Jerusalem.

Said Jesus' story was embellished and "mythicized" by
    many semi-fiction writers. A bodily resurrection and
    ascension stories were promulgated to compete with the
    Caesar myths. Said stories were so popular that they
    grew into a religion known today as Catholicism/Christianity
    and featuring dark-age, daily wine to blood and bread to body rituals
    called the eucharistic sacrifice of the non-atoning Jesus.

Amen
    (References used are available upon request.)

April 29, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Comment on article or postings or F OFF!!

April 29, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • J

"If there were no God, there would be no atheists." – G.K. Chesterton

April 29, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Reality

"HEAR YE ! HEAR YE ! HEAR YE ! said the gods of rational thinking................................" encompasses the topic.

April 29, 2012 at 11:56 am |
    • kenchandammit

"If the sky wasn't pink, there would be nobody who doesn't believe the sky isn't pink." G.K. Chesterdumfuk

April 29, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • AGuest9

The Chesterton quote is illogical. If there were no god, everyone would be atheist, by definition.

May 11, 2012 at 7:32 am |
  11. Jay S

Don't forget God as heard by Moses in the 1959 movie, "The 10 Commandments." It actually was the voice of director Cecil B. DeMille, slowed down to a deep bass, with an echo effect added. Sounded somewhat drunken, actually.

April 29, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • Kay

Actually, no, the voice of God in 'The Ten Commandments' is Charlton Heston. DeMille does the narration of the movie, though.

April 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  12. atheistictruth

He sounds exactly like Santa Claus.

April 29, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  13. Answer

What would be the voice of god for the people who have been linked to in this piece?

Does Pee-Wee think to himself that his own voice is that of god? Does James Earl Jones have his own voice in his head of god?

Stupid article by stupid people who are whacked.

April 29, 2012 at 11:46 am |
  14. Jimmy Cracks Capricorns

It's editorials like this that should scare us all into sobriety. God talks to you? No lady, you talk to yourself and you pretend it's god talking to you. This will become the new Christian Right mantra..."It's OK to say God talks to you, because he does, that;s that voice inside your head...no longer have to say it;s just you, because, you ARE God!"

It excludes Muslims, Taoists, Hindus, Native Americans, and anyone else who believes in other spirits. Oh, unless they're gods are all gods too.....

April 29, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • J

Yes, for thousands of years people have been delusional.

And, yet, people elect these people president, work for them, live next door to them but don't put their money where their mouths are.

If you think people who believe in God are insane, don't elect them, vote for them, or associate with them.

April 29, 2012 at 11:50 am |
  15. n8263

God's voice sounds identical to Santa Claus.

April 29, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  16. kenchandammit

I believe there is an invisible man up in the sky and that he knows EVERYthing. I believe that he loves me so much that he will make me burn for eternity if I look at my neighbors boobs, which he created. I know these things are true because someone told me so when I was a little kid.

April 29, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • J

“There is no one righteous, not even one;
      11 there is no one who understands;
      there is no one who seeks God.
      12 All have turned away,
      they have together become worthless;
      there is no one who does good,
      not even one.”[b]
      13 “Their throats are open graves;
      their tongues practice deceit.”[c]
      “The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[d]
      14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[e]
      15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
      16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
      17 and the way of peace they do not know.”[f]
      18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.

22 This righteousness is given through faith in[h] Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile, 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. 25 God presented Christ as a sacrifice of atonement,[i] through the shedding of his blood —to be received by faith. He did this to demonstrate his righteousness, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished — 26 he did it to demonstrate his righteousness at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus.

April 29, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  17. Tim

That is funny. Spock is a devout atheist.

If you hear Spock as God, the only thing he should be telling you is the rational and logical statement that there is NO GOD.

April 29, 2012 at 11:45 am |
  18. Rainer Braendlein

God speaks to you right now:

I have delivered my beloved Son for your sins and have raised him from the dead for your justification.

Only if you are no sinner, this message or gospel is meaningless for you.

You are no sinner, when you never ever hate, work sloppy, are wanton, etc..

What about the following sins:

Romans 1:

And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Only, if you are no sinner, you don't need the gospel.

April 29, 2012 at 11:43 am |
    • Voice of Reason

Vile Bile

April 29, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • runner305

Thank you for your biased, lopsided argument. I am your typical average sinning guy, and I do NOT need the gospel.

April 29, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • Josef Bleaux

How utterly stupid.

April 29, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • sam stone

You do not have a shred of evidence for your belief. That is fine, as far as beliefs go. If you expect to convince people, you are just delusional. Now go back into the closet, queen

April 29, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
  19. BuleriaChk

When god speaks to me, all he does is brag about how he knocked up a poor carpenter's wife, got together with the locals to concoct a story about a virgin birth, and then threw his illegitimate son under the bus when he turned out to be a liberal.

In short, god is a True Republican..

April 29, 2012 at 11:42 am |
    • J

Have you ever considered the possibility that you could be wrong and, if so, the implications?

If you are correct, no problem.

It's like telling your kid: smoking is cool; go ahead; there won't be any repercussions, son.

April 29, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • jqent

That was great!

April 29, 2012 at 11:49 am |
  20. Mark

How silly There is no "god" Anyone hearing "god" must be delusional. So glad I am Atheist so I don't have to believe in such nonsense.

April 29, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • Ryan

Saying there is no god is like saying you cooked food with no materials.

As much as there is no scientific evidence for God, it is just as much as no scientific evidence for "No God".

So, explain how?

Evolution: Doesn't explain creationism
      Crashed asteroid/comet: Doesn't make sense, nor do comets can support life with methane and ammonia.
      First cell theory: Seriously flawed. Where did the first cell come from?

So yeah, if you're certain of one belief, you're delusional.

April 29, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • Voice of Reason

@Ryan said:
      "Saying there is no god is like saying you cooked food with no materials."

Who or what created the creator?

April 29, 2012 at 11:47 am |
    • runner305

The burden of proof is on YOU, Ryan. And if Mark cooked a meal today, I'm certain that he did so with TANGIBLE ingredients like meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, or whatever. Your comparison doesn't hold water!

April 29, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Ryan

@Voice of Reason

Naturally, something that we're unaware of. I don't believe in religious codes, nor that I believe "God" as an important figure. We don't know who are much of our ancestors.

So yeah. The main question is, how did beings survive under dangerous phases of the Earth?

April 29, 2012 at 11:52 am |
    • Henry

If you are an atheist what are you doing in a belief forum! Go back to the hole you crawled out, stupid!!

April 29, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Answer

Oh I love this one.. this one takes the cake!

"Evolution: Doesn't explain creationism"

Utter stupidity. A religious fool wants science to proof creationism! What a treat.

April 29, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Ryan

@runner305: Therefore, he is a creator on food.

@Answer: When I meant that, I meant that does not explain how we were created, not including the point between Creationist/Evolutionist war. I am not religious, but I think people who offend for beliefs are utterly ridiculous.

April 29, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • AGuest9

Henry,

What are believers doing in my childrens' schools, trying to brainwash them with ID and other imitations of science? It goes both ways.

April 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
    • Henry

Here we have the blind leading the blind!

April 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm |