home
RSS
April 28th, 2012

My Faith: What does God sound like?

By Karen Spears Zacharias, Special to CNN

I find that odd since God talks to me all the time.

CNN’s Belief Blog: The faith angles behind the biggest stories

Follow the CNN Belief Blog on Twitter

- CNN Belief Blog

Filed under: Movies

soundoff (3,288 Responses)
  1. TheRationale

People who "hear God" are just as delusional as people who "heard Athena" and who "hear Vishnu." It's weird that a grown adult can write a story about an imaginary friend she has because so many other people have the same one.

April 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • CC

No kidding. I think she has a mental illness. If she is hearing voices that aren't her own. She needs help.

April 29, 2012 at 1:06 pm |
    • sybaris

Right, one mans delusion is a groups religion.

April 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  2. Rainer Braendlein

When ever we get a present, it shows us the love of the giver.

Someone can love us in a twofold way: by words and by deeds.

God gave us is precious Son.

God's Son became man and had had the possibility to break with God in the garden Gethsemane, when he envisaged the crucifixion. Yet, Jesus remained with God.

Jesus is the Firstborn of a New Mankind, which obeys God at any rate in contrast to the current mankind, which disobeyes God. The descendants of Adam disobey God and the descendants of Jesus in the Spirit obey God.

I guess, we are not really aware, how the fall of Satan and Adam affected God's creation. It was a calamity in God's sight.

By Jesus obedience both falls are reversed. Jesus has restored God's universe. It is only a matter of time, when this will become apparent.

In a word: The great characteristic of Jesus was his obedience, despite infinite suffering. Adam abandonend God without reason. Hence, Jesus has reversed Adam's Fall. Adam meant alienation from God. Jesus means stable community with God. Jesus, a new man, remaining with God all the time.

This noble and precious Jesus God delivered for us. God is really a loving God.

Ask yourself why it was necessary that Jesus had to die.

I don't want to blame you, but point to the fact that God proved his love for us.

April 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • n8263

Santa Claus proves His love every time He brings us presents.

April 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • CC

Keep your lies to yourself sir.

April 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • jamesT297

Some brief instruction as to how god failed in his business because of where and when he opened his business:
      God started his business in the middle of the world’s largest desert – among a group of illiterate and wandering tribes. God did this in spite of the fact that there were much larger civilizations already thriving in India and China. In both India and China, there were already very large cities and the civilization was already mostly literate in that the populations could read and write.
      If god had launched his business in either of these two cultures, he would have gained a much larger global market share and obtained an insurmountable market share vs. Islam as an example. As it is, Islam started +/- 700 years AFTER Christianity and has now overtaken Christianity in global market share. Islam remains the fasted growing organized religious strain in the world. (Atheism, however is the fasted growing segment of the overall religious business landscape). So, not only did god blow a 700 year head-start, he also arranged for the mur_der of his one and only forever son in middle of the same desert and among the same group of illiterate wandering goat herders for crying out loud. That was a huge mistake on top of the earlier huge mistakes and meant that god sacrificed his Return On Investment (ROI) and eventual market share dominance by this very short-sighted set of decisions. Look where his business is today. It is losing customers faster than it can replace them by acquiring new ones; the business is in disrepute among many of its long-time customers; it is losing actual raw numbers of customers in some parts of the world where it used to be the only option; its customers are being mur_dered in many other parts of the world for simply being his customers – it’s a real mess. So, I’d suggest anyone starting a similar new business avoid these mistakes so that the mur_der you planned for your only son and then performed so that you could later use as a recruiting tool/story might actually produce a higher ROI for you than it did for god.

April 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • Those used guys.

And you just had this dictated to you in your head by the voice and being a good secretary you wrote it down verbatim. I think you should lay off the communion wine for the rest of the day, but cheers anyway.

April 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  3. SC

to JE may God bless you, you're right on with your posts.

April 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  4. SC

The God of the Bible, the ONE TRUE AND ONLY GOD, speaks through HIS WORD. If you read it regularly, meditate on it, you
    will hear His Voice in your Spirit and You will live according to His Principles.

April 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • Ronin

It's a little arrogant isn't it to assume that out of the thousands and thousands of Gods in the world with equal to zero validity, that you adamantly choose yours to be divine and correct just because some book written in the Middle East 2,000 years ago said so.

April 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • LQ

God comes in all forms, afterall God is ALL there is, nothing more, nothing less.

April 29, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
    • sybaris

SC, if you had been born and raised in central america centuries ago you would most likely be saying the same thing about Quetzalcoatl.

April 29, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
    • sybaris

and there goes LQ, moving the goal posts!!! Bravo!!

If the facts get to icky just make the religion fit the facts!!

April 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • sam stone

if you read it regularly and meditate on it, you will convince yourself. it does not mean it is objectively true.

April 29, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  5. Jason

When God speaks to me, he sounds a lot like my imagination.

April 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • RealityInc

Home run! I love it!

April 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
  6. IN GOD WE TRUST

Few 100% true Reasons why Atheism is TERRIBLE and unhealthy for our children and living things:

† Atheism is a religion that makes you stupid, ignorant & blind.
    † Atheism is a disease that needs to be treated.
    † Atheism makes you post stupid things (90% of silly comments here on CNN blogs are posted by closet Atheists)
    † Atheist are satanic and have gothic lifestyle.
    † Atheists causes problem in our religious society.
    † Atheists are mentally ill, that's why they have no faith.
    † Atheism won't take you to kingdom of heaven and paradise.
    † Atheism making you agree with Stalin, Hitler (Denied his faith later), Mao, Pol Pot & other terrible mass murder leaders.
    † No traditional family lifestyle, no holidays, no culture, boring and feeling 'outsider'
    † Atheists are angry, drug additcted and committ the most crime.
    † Atheist try to convert people over internet because they feel "safer" behind closet.
    † Atheists do not really exist, they just pretend that they don't believe in God and argue with religious people.
    † Atheists have had terrible life experience, bad childhood and not being loved.
    † Most Atheists are uneducated... No Atheists could run for presidency.
    † Atheism brought upon the French Revolution, one of the most evil events of all of history.
    † Atheism cannot explain the origins of the universe, therefore God exists.
    † All atheists believe in evolution, which means they don't believe in morality and think we should all act like animals.
    † The Bible says atheism is wrong, and the Bible is always right (see: Genesis 1:1, Psalms 14:1, Psalms 19:1, Romans 1:19-20)
    † Countries where Atheism is prevalent has the highest Suicide rate & Communist countries = Atheism!
    **Only 2-3% of the U.S. are Atheists/Agnostics VS. over 90% who believe in God (80% Christians) in the U.S.**

† † Our Prayers goes to Atheists to be mentally healthy and seek their creator † †

PS! the USA is a Christian nation and will always be.

April 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
    • joe

You're scary.

April 29, 2012 at 12:49 pm |
    • Yodelling Bob Rides Again

Okay, so Karen Spears Zacharias put something incredibly stupid and ridiculous and impossible on the blog, and you got jealous and tried to outdo her with that oozing puddle is brain-diarrhea?

Well done! It taks real talent to out-stupid the incredibly stupid, but you did it. Bravo!

April 29, 2012 at 12:53 pm |
    • LQ

Sounds more christian than athiest.

April 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Floyd

You forgot add that all atheists are gay, secretly Muslim, cannibal, vampires who can be recognized because they have three heads. Also, every single atheist is entirely covered in tattoos- they all have got a full-body tattoo that is a perfect picture of themselves, only taller. Also, they are all shape-shifting Lectroids from planet 10 who came here via the 8th dimension.

But they have cookies, and who can resist that?

April 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Dan

I am a strong Christian, and these reasons are ridiculous, many are untrue, use straw man logic, and will do nothing but push people who are Atheist further away. Are you educated? How does your post do anything to further showing people Gods love? It doesn't. I'm assuming this is how you conduct yourself as a Christian. Maybe you should take a step back and realize what you are saying.

April 29, 2012 at 1:25 pm |
  7. Barry Wom

When CNN says: "The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Karen Spears Zacharias," what they really mean is "We know this is incredibly stupid shit, but we are totally out of content and have to reach into the crapola file."

April 29, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • Vitis01

I couldn't agree more. Sheesh. Although there IS a great song by Bright Eyes called 'When The President Talks To God'.

April 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  8. Rob in San Diego

What a ridicules article. CNN has gotten beyond bad.

April 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Electric Larry

I do think we have a winner for "Most incredibly inane and insipid article ever published on the Belief Blog." Hell, it may be the single dumbest item CNN has ever run.

April 29, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  9. exc

Man created god from his own imagination.

April 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  10. Arthur Pewty

Sound like? It sounds like she needs intensive psychaitric care immediately, and all weapons should be removed from he house.

April 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  11. devin

why is pee wee herman in this articles picture?

April 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • blaqb0x

I was thinking the exact same thing!

April 29, 2012 at 1:01 pm |
    • Yodelling Bob Rides Again

Normally I would chide you for not reading the article, where Pee Wee is mentioned as one possible voice of God, but honestly the article is so relentlessly stupid that I commend you for having the good sense to stop at the title.

April 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
  12. Aonghus

You have got to be kidding!

April 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  13. James PDX

When God speaks to me, he sounds a lot like me. Wait, that is me. Well, I was wondering why God wanted me to have a strawberry sundae so bad.

April 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  14. Robert Kiehn

Interesting article! I've always thought for some reason that God would sounds like Sean Connery.

April 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  15. tigrr

God does not speak. Language is a limitation. God is unlimited. Any who claim God speaks to them, are listening to their own Ego. Time to walk away.

April 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
    • Ronin

So Moses and Jesus and Abraham were all egotistical?

April 29, 2012 at 12:50 pm |
    • sybaris

By your logic your god would have no need to be worshiped, be angry, happy, vengeful, loving etc., etc.

Hmmmm, maybe because man made your god in its image??

April 29, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
  16. jamesT297

Are you kidding me? This sounds like a variation of the "Elf on The Shelf" story.

April 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
  17. 21k

god: the being that was powerful enough to create the entire universe and everything in it, but not able or willing to give hitler a stroke or fatal accident before he carried out mass slaughter. was it because god considered hitler's free will more important than the free will of the millions he murdered? such a puzzle.

April 29, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
    • JE

There's an afterlife. This isn't 'the end of the story'. That's the reason it's 'good news'.

April 29, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • 21k

so why do you get to live in a fairly safe environment, and a few billion of your fellow humans get born, and live their entire lives on garbage dumps? why do you deserve heaven just as much as they do?

April 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • jamesT297

Furthermore, this is the same god that took six freaking days to create the universe, for crying our loud. I would expect that any omniscient, omnipotent and omnipresent being that I hitch my wagon to would be able to do it in an instant. Then, this god has to rest on the seventh day for christ's sake. What kind of god is that to bet your future on?

April 29, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
    • 21k

je, and why the * would such a benovolent god allow one man to actually burn other people alive, or peel their skin off, just because they get to go to heaven afterwards? do you know how stupid you sound?

April 29, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • JE

The Bible says that the last will be first in heaven.

19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’

25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’

27 “He answered, ‘Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my family, 28 for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.’

29 “Abraham replied, ‘They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.’

30 “‘No, father Abraham,’ he said, ‘but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.’

31 “He said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.’”

April 29, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
    • James PDX

When Jesus came and made his new covenant with man, I'm wondering what happened to all of the people living in Sothern Africa, Asia, Australia or the Americas who didn't have Facebook and had no idea what God required of them for eternal salvation. I highly doubt they believed that Jesus was the son of God since they never heard of that God or of Jesus. A veritable quandary, no doubt.

April 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • JE

Last I checked we are all going to die. My mom had a major heart attack. People die of cancer, car accidents, disease. We all die...

The good news is that God actually loves us and made heaven for us. No more death, no more sorrow, no more pain.

April 29, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
    • DA man

Hitler did nothing really he did what he was told to do, it was the illuminati which is devil. And God will make devil suffer later on

April 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm |
    • Pie in the Sky

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
      There's a land that's fair and bright
      Where the handouts grow on bushes
      And you sleep out ev'ry night
      Where the boxcars are all empty
      And the sun shines ev'ry day
      Oh, I'm bound to go where there ain't no snow
      Where the rain don't fall and the wind don't blow
      In the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Oh, the buzzin' of the bees in the peppermint trees
      'Round the soda water fountains
      Where the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
      In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

In the Big Rock Candy Mountains
      You never change your socks
      And little streams of lemonade
      Come a-tricklin' down the rocks
      The hobos there are friendly
      And their fires all burn bright
      There's a lake of stew and soda, too
      You can paddle all around 'em in a big canoe
      In the Big Rock Candy Mountains.
      Oh, the buzzin' of the bees in the peppermint trees
      'Round the soda water fountains
      Where the lemonade springs and the bluebird sings
      In the Big Rock Candy Mountains

April 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • sybaris

and yet JE, you have not one shred of evidence to support your claim.

April 29, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • JE

It's called faith. When I read the Bible, it reflects what I experience in life. When I pray, I feel forgiveness and healing. When I observe the lives of those I know who have faith, I see how God is working in their lives. When I read books or hear sermons by those who believe, it mirrors my experiences. Charles Spurgeon, C.S. Lewis, Billy Graham, Pilgrim's Progress...I have been reading these the past few months (along with the Bible). Amazing (miraculous) how what I read corresponds to my experience on this earth.

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." – C.S. Lewis

April 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm |
  18. JE

36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[f] but only the Father. 37 As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 38 For in the days before the flood, people were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered the ark; 39 and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of the Son of Man. 40 Two men will be in the field; one will be taken and the other left. 41 Two women will be grinding with a hand mill; one will be taken and the other left.

42 “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come. 43 But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into. 44 So you also must be ready, because the Son of Man will come at an hour when you do not expect him.

April 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • JE

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right."
      Billy Graham

April 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  19. Juanito

Self-professed athiests are a funny bunch: if they truly believe there is no after-life and this is all there is(Stephen Hawking's 'free lunch'), then why are they wasting the precious time they have to live reading anything faith-related, much less commenting about it and/or insulting those with convictions?

I believe the true athiest would never even bother to acknowledge their lack of belief as doing so would be equivelent to hold a discussion about the merits of square wheels. Their response would be 'uh, sure, whatever. I'm hungry, what's for lunch?'.

If anything, it's much easier to poke fun of those who hold their convictions in scientific theories that have not, or can never, be proved and to possess the arrogance to believe if it can't be measured or defined within the limited confines of human intelligence or understanding, it doesn't exist.

As a one-time self proclained agnostic, I held those beliefs. But He was still waiting for me, as He does for you all.

May God bless you all. In His Name, Juanito...

April 29, 2012 at 12:32 pm |
    • JE

God bless you, brother.

God bless us, one and all.

April 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • 21k

just to poke fun at the silly folks who believe in the god that would not stop hitler. but every now and then, he'll save some family from a tornado, cure little johnny's cancer or some such. we waste a lot less of our lives listening to bs compared to church-goers, so a few minutes here and there getting a laugh on belief watch is more or less entertainment for us.

April 29, 2012 at 12:35 pm |
    • JE

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am."

April 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • sybaris

"why are they wasting the precious time they have to live reading anything faith-related, much less commenting about it and/or insulting those with convictions?"

Uh because it's not your religion we're bashing but the religious triumph of ignorance over reason. It gets a little disconcerting when it starts creeping into legislation. If you want to live in a theocracy go to Iran and try it out for a while.

April 29, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
    • Juanito

21K: like JE pointed out, death is at the end of all our stories here on earth. Some will go old and in their sleep, others quite tragically, and everything in between. Whether you're an Agnostic, Athiest, Christian, Buddhist, or gymnist, we're all going to leave life.

Your concerns are about the physical, the 'here and now', and the immeasurable suffering people all over the world are experiencing. I know, because I believed just like you. I held God to my own sense of justice and asked why can you(God) allow that to happen. His response to us, time and again, is how can we allow that to happen to our brothers and sisters? It's why Christian charities are so numerous and always reaching out.

No one deserves a place in Heaven as what we've done to seperate ourselves from His Holy presense is not, or cannot be attoned by our own good deeds for one another. Justice, or condemnation and eternal damnation, is what we deserve for turning our backs on Him. Mercy is most assuredly what we all will want at the time of judgement. And He'll give it each if we accept His sacrifice, His Son Jesus Christ, as our savior.

We talk about all the bad things we perceive God has done or allowed to have happen to us, but there are very few people I know who would allow their child to die to save the undeserving.

21K, I truly hope He touches your heart. Jesus is impassioned to have a relationship with you. But He's a genteman. He knock, as He's doing now, but He won't break your door down. You just have to answer it, and let Him in.

In His Love, 21K. Juanito...

April 29, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
    • momoya

I think that if about 90% of a population went around using square wheels and talking about them, there'd be a-square-wheelists.. Yes, it'd be nice if atheists could do as you suggest, but unfortunately, there's christards running around everywhere claiming to be better than others and claiming that their view is more valid and moral than others and they get preferential treatment–all because they stick with the idea of square wheels regardless of how little facts support such mentality.

April 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
    • JE

Here's the thing: our nation has gone nuts with this whole liberal v. conservative thing. Republicans aren't all Christians just like Liberals are not all 'not' Christian. Faith is an individual thing.

Here's the question/point: not whether you identify with one group but what the truth is. I can say that I am right and you are wrong. You can say that you are right and I'm wrong. That is meaningless.

The point is: what is the (stinking) truth? If there is a God, then what? If there isn't, then what?

Just saying there is or there isn't doesn't change reality. The truth matters. It has implications.

One can stick their head in a hole (or watch hours of tv) but the truth doesn't cease to exist because we aren't thinking about it.

The truth shall set us free. (Not delusion.)

And, again, just saying: everyone who believes in God is delusional doesn't make us delusional if there actually is a God.

April 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm |
    • JE

Beautiful posts, Juanito. Thank you for your words.

April 29, 2012 at 1:18 pm |
  20. CJ

God has a human voice, speaking in your particular language, and always tells you consoling messages because the voice in your head is just you.

April 29, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • 21k

imagine if god sounds like sarah palin! jesus x!

April 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm |